Photo

Classic Rock Album Sweet 16 Divisions 2 and 3

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

Poll: classic rock

Choose your favorite

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

Choose your favorite

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

Choose Your Favorite

Choose your favorite

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 timschochet

timschochet

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 72,977 posts
  • Joined 17-September 07

Posted 04 April 2012 - 05:32 AM

Make your choices wisely. The fate of human civilization itself depends on the outcome!
Unless otherwise stated, any comment or statement I make is strictly MY OPINION, and should not be taken as an implication of fact, no matter how definitive it sounds. I speak for no one but myself.

#2 zamboni

zamboni

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 44,027 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 04 April 2012 - 05:46 AM

This one was a bit easier for me than other bracket.

WYWH
Abbey
Pepper
Doors

As an aside, I just listened to Back In Black on the way home last night in its entirety for the first time in ages. Terrific straight forward hard rock with some killer riffs, but seemed a much bigger deal when I was 12 than now. Kind of generic, actually.

#3 PIK95

PIK95

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7,302 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 04 April 2012 - 05:46 AM

My two favorites off this list are Led Zep II and Wish You Were Here. :wall:

This is why we can't have nice things.

#4 Leroy Hoard

Leroy Hoard

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 59,133 posts
  • Joined 12-August 03

Posted 04 April 2012 - 05:48 AM

WYWH Abbey Pepper Doors

Great minds think alike. And oddly enough, so do ours...
If you need a yard, I'll get you three. If you need five yards, I'll get you three.

#5 Flying V

Flying V

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9,996 posts
  • Joined 20-June 05

Posted 04 April 2012 - 05:50 AM

This one was a bit easier for me than other bracket.

WYWH
Abbey
Pepper
Doors

As an aside, I just listened to Back In Black on the way home last night in its entirety for the first time in ages. Terrific straight forward hard rock with some killer riffs, but seemed a much bigger deal when I was 12 than now. Kind of generic, actually.

:confused:

#6 Godsbrother

Godsbrother

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20,568 posts
  • Joined 15-April 03

Posted 04 April 2012 - 05:56 AM

This one was a bit easier for me than other bracket. WYWH Abbey Pepper Doors

Exactly the way I voted.

#7 simey

simey

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16,877 posts
  • Joined 15-April 03

Posted 04 April 2012 - 06:04 AM

Zep II, Abbey Rd, Sgt. Pepper, The Doors

i didn't like abbey rd. being up against let it bleed. i love both albums.

#8 Leroy Hoard

Leroy Hoard

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 59,133 posts
  • Joined 12-August 03

Posted 04 April 2012 - 06:06 AM

i didn't like abbey rd. being up against let it bleed. i love both albums.

yeah simey there have been some brutal matchups in these threads, it's been hard to vote against quite a few.
If you need a yard, I'll get you three. If you need five yards, I'll get you three.

#9 simey

simey

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16,877 posts
  • Joined 15-April 03

Posted 04 April 2012 - 06:11 AM

i'll always love hells bells. :headbang:

#10 Apple Jack

Apple Jack

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12,821 posts
  • Joined 03-September 11

Posted 04 April 2012 - 06:11 AM

Don't really want to vote for the fourth one. Neither has any place within two continents of this conversation, imo. And odd that Wish You Were Here is here, seeing how it's arguably the weakest of the Meddle>Final Cut run. The most overrated of Floyd records, imo. If such a thing exists. Zep II Let It Bleed Sgt. Pepper Back in Black

#11 zamboni

zamboni

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 44,027 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 04 April 2012 - 06:18 AM

i'll always love hells bells. :headbang:

One of my favorites, too, along with the second track "Shoot To Thrill". Kind of peters out a bit after that though, with the exception of the played-out title track and "You Shook Me All Night Long".

#12 timschochet

timschochet

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 72,977 posts
  • Joined 17-September 07

Posted 04 April 2012 - 06:30 AM

Wow, no love here for Led Zeppelin IV. I know it's going up against Sgt. Pepper. But IV is probably Led Zeppelin's greatest album. Every song is great IMO.
Unless otherwise stated, any comment or statement I make is strictly MY OPINION, and should not be taken as an implication of fact, no matter how definitive it sounds. I speak for no one but myself.

#13 zamboni

zamboni

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 44,027 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 04 April 2012 - 06:33 AM

Wow, no love here for Led Zeppelin IV. I know it's going up against Sgt. Pepper. But IV is probably Led Zeppelin's greatest album. Every song is great IMO.

As we've discussed a lot in the Zep threads, lots of varying opinions on the greatest Zep album. Since it's a favorite thread, I imagine that most of the Western world is probably a bit tired of ZoSo - hence the voting. Besides, it's going up against a behemoth in its own right, so it's no slight to lose here.

#14 Just Win Baby

Just Win Baby

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16,937 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 04 April 2012 - 07:05 AM

Don't really want to vote for the fourth one. Neither has any place within two continents of this conversation, imo.

:goodposting: Voted Led Zeppelin II Abbey Road Led Zeppelin IV Back in Black Tough to vote against Wish You Were Here.

#15 Apple Jack

Apple Jack

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12,821 posts
  • Joined 03-September 11

Posted 04 April 2012 - 07:19 AM

Right, and Sgt Pepper is probably the most commonly cited greatest album period. It was a tough call for me, but the answer was always going to be Pepper.

#16 timschochet

timschochet

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 72,977 posts
  • Joined 17-September 07

Posted 04 April 2012 - 07:01 PM

Bump. One hour left and the last two albums in a close vote.

#17 Kenny Powers

Kenny Powers

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13,915 posts
  • Joined 14-August 09
  • Interests:PAWGs

Posted 04 April 2012 - 07:06 PM

Voted for Sgt. Pepper's but surprised to see it have such a lead II Abbey Road The Doors
Fundamentals are a crutch for teh talentless

I play real sports....not trying to be the best at exercising

#18 Abraham

Abraham

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26,147 posts
  • Joined 11-April 03

Posted 04 April 2012 - 07:10 PM

Zep stones zep angus

There's a science to walking through windows.

#19 Just Win Baby

Just Win Baby

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16,937 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 04 April 2012 - 07:33 PM

WYWH is light years better than Zep II. There, I said it.

There, you're wrong. As great as WYWH is.

#20 Kenny Powers

Kenny Powers

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13,915 posts
  • Joined 14-August 09

Posted 04 April 2012 - 07:39 PM

Yep. IMO, II is arguably Zep's best album.

#21 timschochet

timschochet

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 72,977 posts
  • Joined 17-September 07

Posted 04 April 2012 - 07:41 PM

Yep. IMO, II is arguably Zep's best album.

That's good, because it's about to be the only one left in the tourney.

#22 Kenny Powers

Kenny Powers

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13,915 posts
  • Joined 14-August 09

Posted 04 April 2012 - 07:43 PM

You can say that about all of Zep's first 6 albums

#23 Kenny Powers

Kenny Powers

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13,915 posts
  • Joined 14-August 09

Posted 04 April 2012 - 07:44 PM

If AC/DC had an obituary, this would pretty much be the first sentence, no?

#24 timschochet

timschochet

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 72,977 posts
  • Joined 17-September 07

Posted 04 April 2012 - 07:59 PM

Led Zeppelin II Abbey Road Sgt. Pepper The Doors

#25 Flying V

Flying V

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9,996 posts
  • Joined 20-June 05

Posted 05 April 2012 - 03:29 AM

Somebody is going to have to explain to me how "terrific hard rock" and "killer riffs" can be considered generic.

I can appreciate that the level of musicianship required to reproduce those songs is nowhere near that of a Gilmore, but consider that
Van Gogh's work was viewed by his peers in the same way, yet they are still masterpieces.

#26 zamboni

zamboni

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 44,027 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 05 April 2012 - 03:45 AM

Somebody is going to have to explain to me how "terrific hard rock" and "killer riffs" can be considered generic.

I can appreciate that the level of musicianship required to reproduce those songs is nowhere near that of a Gilmore, but consider that
Van Gogh's work was viewed by his peers in the same way, yet they are still masterpieces.

I was saying generic to the extent that it seemed fresh back in 1980 - blew me away as a 12-year-old. But after hearing so much more AC/DC since then, it was basically similar riffs throughout most of their material. Just got kind of boring pretty quickly.

#27 Uruk-Hai

Uruk-Hai

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13,948 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 05 April 2012 - 03:51 AM

Floyd (the only PF album I'd rank over any of the others in this bracket, but it would've beaten all except the 2 Beatles, the Stones, and ZoSo) Beatles Beatles AC/DC (would've voted ZoSo if it had been in this matchup or the first)

Edited by Uruk-Hai, 05 April 2012 - 03:52 AM.

#28 Flying V

Flying V

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9,996 posts
  • Joined 20-June 05

Posted 05 April 2012 - 04:05 AM

I was saying generic to the extent that it seemed fresh back in 1980 - blew me away as a 12-year-old. But after hearing so much more AC/DC since then, it was basically similar riffs throughout most of their material. Just got kind of boring pretty quickly.

I agree. I lost interest in most of the stuff they did after BIB. It's that way with a lot of rock for me. When people ask me why I don't have a lot of new stuff in my collection, I have to explain to them why it feels like I've already heard it all before.

The old stuff still sounds fresh to me because I gave up on radio 30 years ago and I have a big enough collection that, even though I listen to music at least an hour per day, there's nothing I listen to more than 1 or 2 times a year.

A classic is a classic. You never hear anybody say "Oh, not Mozart again! That stuff is SO overplayed." I think of a lot of rock in the same way.

#29 Wrighteous Ray

Wrighteous Ray

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4,022 posts
  • Joined 18-April 08

Posted 05 April 2012 - 04:50 AM

A classic is a classic. You never hear anybody say "Oh, not Mozart again! That stuff is SO overplayed." I think of a lot of rock in the same way.

There are certain classical pieces that are totally overplayed. My dad used to complain that the classical radio station had the equivalent of a "Top 40" format where they would play the same stuff repeatedly and ignore slightly more obscure stuff. I would give some examples but I don't know much about classical.

#30 Abraham

Abraham

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26,147 posts
  • Joined 11-April 03

Posted 05 April 2012 - 04:51 AM

There are certain classical pieces that are totally overplayed. My dad used to complain that the classical radio station had the equivalent of a "Top 40" format where they would play the same stuff repeatedly and ignore slightly more obscure stuff. I would give some examples but I don't know much about classical.

Classical radio has about 9 people listening to it at any given time. If they were to move out of the top-40 for obscure stuff, they would likely lose 8 of the listeners.

There's a science to walking through windows.

#31 Leroy Hoard

Leroy Hoard

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 59,133 posts
  • Joined 12-August 03

Posted 05 April 2012 - 04:55 AM

Beethoven's #5, Bach's Brandenburg concertos, Vivaldi's 4 Seasons are a few that they overplay.

#32 zamboni

zamboni

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 44,027 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 05 April 2012 - 04:56 AM

I would never complain about this piece.

#33 Leroy Hoard

Leroy Hoard

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 59,133 posts
  • Joined 12-August 03

Posted 05 April 2012 - 04:57 AM

I would never complain about this piece.

Cartoons did teach us the classics if nothing else.

#34 Wrighteous Ray

Wrighteous Ray

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4,022 posts
  • Joined 18-April 08

Posted 05 April 2012 - 04:57 AM

Classical radio has about 9 people listening to it at any given time. If they were to move out of the top-40 for obscure stuff, they would likely lose 8 of the listeners.

Sure, I know why they do it. I'm just saying that Flying V is wrong that people don't complain that famous classical pieces are overplayed. I suspect it's actually a fairly common complaint of classical music fans. If it was famous enough to be featured in a Bugs Bunny cartoon, there are folks out there complaining that it's overplayed.

#35 zamboni

zamboni

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 44,027 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 05 April 2012 - 05:00 AM

We really need to do a classical music in cartoons thread, if it hasn't already been done.

#36 Leroy Hoard

Leroy Hoard

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 59,133 posts
  • Joined 12-August 03

Posted 05 April 2012 - 05:03 AM

We really need to do a classical music in cartoons thread, if it hasn't already been done.

They did save a lot of copyright fees by using public domain songs.

#37 Flying V

Flying V

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9,996 posts
  • Joined 20-June 05

Posted 05 April 2012 - 05:06 AM

That's what I love about this place; you can never be too sure.

#38 Apple Jack

Apple Jack

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12,821 posts
  • Joined 03-September 11

Posted 05 April 2012 - 05:09 AM

Classical radio > pop/rock radio

#39 zamboni

zamboni

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 44,027 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 05 April 2012 - 05:11 AM

That's what I love about this place; you can never be too sure.

Just did a search for "classical" and didn't find such a thread, so it's on...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users