What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Matt Barkley vs. Ryan Tannehill (1 Viewer)

Donnybrook

Footballguy
A re-occuring theme in the Pool is a certain teams should pass on Tannehill and draft Barkley next year. Call me crazy but I am not convinced that it is true. Barkley will certainly have the edge on Tannehill in experience but athletically Tannehill is much better propect. Here is how one scouting report describes Barkley

Athletically average, he is not particularly mobile but can make up for that by remaining steady in the pocket. Not afraid to hang tough and let the play develop. Accuracy is above average and can put a nice touch on short passes. Sometimes does not put enough air on deep passes, leaving wide receivers unable to make late adjustments to the ball.
Please convince me that I am wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tannehill has more physical tools.

I think Barkley's the safer pick if you're looking for a franchise QB for the next 10 years.

If I had a top 10 pick, I'd pass on Tannehill. I wouldn't on Barkley.

A re-occuring theme in the Pool is a certain teams should pass on Tannehill and draft Barkley next year.
Not sure who's been saying that, but if they're thinking like me you're taking this out of context.It's not pass on Tannehill to take Barkley next year. It's pass on Tannehill and if the current QB's flop we will be in position to get Barkley next year. If the current QB's don't flop then we won't be in position to get Barkley next year and will build around our kept QB's. Tannehill's ceiling is higher than Barkley's, but he is much riskier. The type in which you'll have to wait at least 2 and probably 3 years before knowing if he'll pan out or not. That'd be fine if Tannehill were a day 2 pick, as he should be valued, but since he's not no team's fans are comfortable with him. Picking him in round 1 likely means you're picking early again in 2013, already committed to Tannehill, and can't even consider going after another QB (like Minnesota and Jacksonville this year). Not a position this fan wants to be in.Draft offensive skill positions players now, if we still suck it means Colt still sucked, then make sure to get Barkley next year who will have more experienced weapons to work with than if we had gone Tannehill this year.

Athletically Tannehill is a better prospect than Tom Brady was, doesn't mean he can play QB.
There are very few NFL starting QB that wouldn't out shine Tom Brady athetically. Your premise is flawed. Obviously, Tom makes up for it in other ways: intelligence, accuracy and being a fierce competeitor.

I think Barkley's the safer pick if you're looking for a franchise QB for the next 10 years.

I am looking for more analysis than this. I remember when Leinart went back to school he was romanticized as being the next great QB. Only when the pre-draft process started did critics started picking holes in his game. Prior to that time, anyone saying Cutler would be better QB than Leinart would have been laughed at.

I am looking for more analysis than this. I remember when Leinart went back to school he was romanticized as being the next great QB. Only when the pre-draft process started did critics started picking holes in his game. Prior to that time, anyone saying Cutler would be better QB than Leinart would have been laughed at.
Barkley doesn't have a noodle arm or poor work ethic like Leinart. There really aren't any warts in his game, there just isn't any wow factor. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but if he is ever going to go from a good QB to an elite one he'd have to develop like Peyton or Brady from the neck up.

Tannehill just seems like one of those guys whose physical tools have inflated his draft value. He was a good college player, but a spectacular one. I am not excited about his pro potential.

I think Barkley is probably a bit overhyped, but at least he has won some big games in his college career.

Like it or not. All QBs are judged by their physical tools. John Elway, Carson Palmer and Jamarcus Russel all went #1 in the draft because of their size, arm strength and mobility.

Tannehill because of his inexperience wouldn't be in that category. The fact that he played wide receiver tells me that he may have more poise and toughness in the pocket than other QBs. That would automatically make him a better prospect than David Carr and Blaine Gabbert, IMO. Could he be compared to Brett Favre? A QB prospect with a great arm, good mobility and tough as nails.

I am not saying Barkley would not be a good QB but couldn't he be categorized as slighly better prospect than Dalton and Ponder. More experienced in a pro system, accurate, poised and a good decision maker but less than ideal height and arm strength.

Athletically Tannehill is a better prospect than Tom Brady was, doesn't mean he can play QB.
There are very few NFL starting QB that wouldn't out shine Tom Brady athetically. Your premise is flawed. Obviously, Tom makes up for it in other ways: intelligence, accuracy and being a fierce competeitor.
There are very few NFL starting QB that would outshine Tannehill "athetically".....therefore the original premise is flawed...according to your logic and spelling. :banned:

Like it or not. All QBs are judged by their physical tools. John Elway, Carson Palmer and Jamarcus Russel all went #1 in the draft because of their size, arm strength and mobility. Tannehill because of his inexperience wouldn't be in that category. The fact that he played wide receiver tells me that he may have more poise and toughness in the pocket than other QBs. That would automatically make him a better prospect than David Carr and Blaine Gabbert, IMO. Could he be compared to Brett Favre? A QB prospect with a great arm, good mobility and tough as nails. I am not saying Barkley would not be a good QB but couldn't he be categorized as slighly better prospect than Dalton and Ponder. More experienced in a pro system, accurate, poised and a good decision maker but less than ideal height and arm strength.
My point is that physical tools don't make someone a great QB. I don't care if Tannehill is a top 10 pick. I only care if he pans out or not. On paper he certainly doesn't appear to be an elite prospect. He looks like the typical type of QB prospect that scouts overrate because he's tall and can throw hard. Losman, Boller, Flacco, etc. We've seen a lot of these. Flacco seems like the best comparison. I could see him becoming that type of player. Anything better would surprise me.

It happens every year. Fans always think the top guy coming out next year is sexier than the guy coming out this year.

I don't want Cam Newton. I want my team to draft ________ and then we can draft Andrew Luck next year.

I don't want Matthew Stafford. I want my team to draft _______ and then we can draft Sam Bradford next year.

etc.

It happens every year. Fans always think the top guy coming out next year is sexier than the guy coming out this year. I don't want Cam Newton. I want my team to draft ________ and then we can draft Andrew Luck next year.I don't want Matthew Stafford. I want my team to draft _______ and then we can draft Sam Bradford next year.etc.
:goodposting:

Like it or not. All QBs are judged by their physical tools. John Elway, Carson Palmer and Jamarcus Russel all went #1 in the draft because of their size, arm strength and mobility. Tannehill because of his inexperience wouldn't be in that category. The fact that he played wide receiver tells me that he may have more poise and toughness in the pocket than other QBs. That would automatically make him a better prospect than David Carr and Blaine Gabbert, IMO. Could he be compared to Brett Favre? A QB prospect with a great arm, good mobility and tough as nails. I am not saying Barkley would not be a good QB but couldn't he be categorized as slighly better prospect than Dalton and Ponder. More experienced in a pro system, accurate, poised and a good decision maker but less than ideal height and arm strength.
My point is that physical tools don't make someone a great QB. I don't care if Tannehill is a top 10 pick. I only care if he pans out or not. On paper he certainly doesn't appear to be an elite prospect. He looks like the typical type of QB prospect that scouts overrate because he's tall and can throw hard. Losman, Boller, Flacco, etc. We've seen a lot of these. Flacco seems like the best comparison. I could see him becoming that type of player. Anything better would surprise me.
Kyle Boller was a 4 year starter and completed 53.4 % of his passes in his senior year. Tannehill started 19 games and completed 61.5 % of his passes in his senior year. I guess you feel that Tannehill like Boller won't improve with experience. What's not to like about Flacco? He doesn't put up fantasy numbers? Last time I watched him, he outplayed Tom Brady in the AFC Championship with Vince Wilfork constantly in his grill.

Tannehill put up mediocre stats in a soft conference. His teams consistently underachieved. He underwhelmed against quality opposition, throwing more INTs than TDs against Oklahoma State, Arkansas, Oklahoma, and Texas in 2011. There's really nothing about him that screams greatness.

He's tall with a strong arm. So what? Mental talent is far more important than physical talent at the QB position. Peyton Manning and Tom Brady have less physical ability than Kyle Boller and JP Losman. I don't need to tell you who's better at playing QB.

Teams will always reach for a potential franchise QB in the first round. Sometimes you get a Joe Flacco. Other times you get a Blaine Gabbert, Jason Campbell, or JP Losman. I would say Tannehill is somewhere between Campbell and Flacco. Good physical specimen with no special mental qualities who has climbed up the boards due to desperation and a lack of competition.

Tom BradyDrew Brees

Eli Manning

Peyton Manning

All of these guys have won Super Bowls and I'd argue that none of them are supreme athletes. The qualities you've named are what makes championship QBs. I don't know that Barkley is an A+ prospect, but I do know that Tannehill is a great athlete that doesn't make the smartest decisions, doesn't go deep through his progressions, and isn't highly accurate. We'll see how well he does...

I agree with all of this. I've watched 4 or 5 games of his and I'm not impressed with his passing. There's potential there but the same goes for a lot of QB's. His athletic ability and desperation of teams that need a QB seems to be trumping the flaws in his passing game. Tannehill may not have a weak arm, but he plays like it and throws a terrible deep ball.

Barkley doesn't have a noodle arm or poor work ethic like Leinart. There really aren't any warts in his game, there just isn't any wow factor. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but if he is ever going to go from a good QB to an elite one he'd have to develop like Peyton or Brady from the neck up.
good assessment here.unquestionably barkley is superior physically to leinart. the lobs leinart got away with at usc (with a physically dominant mike Williams going against 5'10 corners) don't fly as well at the nfl level. leinart would just lay his wrs out to dry continuously. big reason he never got support with the cards (along with other fundamental flaws - footwork / leaving the pocket at the slightest hint of pressure vs. stepping up in pocket).

Not saying leinarts career would be different today, but the cards really should have given him the opportunity for the 2010 season with as much time they invested. in hindsight, the result wouldnt have been worse than the Derek Anderson/max hall debacle.

i put barkley in the same class as mark sanchez.

Yes Barkley is head and shoulders above Tanne.

but is any1 else concerned about the USC QB legacy? what is Mark Sanchez worth on the trade market the dude had 26 turnovers last year. Leinart, Cassel, Carson Palmer? does that trend help or hurt Matt Barkley?

Tannehill put up mediocre stats in a soft conference. His teams consistently underachieved. He underwhelmed against quality opposition, throwing more INTs than TDs against Oklahoma State, Arkansas, Oklahoma, and Texas in 2011. There's really nothing about him that screams greatness.

He's tall with a strong arm. So what? Mental talent is far more important than physical talent at the QB position. Peyton Manning and Tom Brady have less physical ability than Kyle Boller and JP Losman. I don't need to tell you who's better at playing QB.

Teams will always reach for a potential franchise QB in the first round. Sometimes you get a Joe Flacco. Other times you get a Blaine Gabbert, Jason Campbell, or JP Losman. I would say Tannehill is somewhere between Campbell and Flacco. Good physical specimen with no special mental qualities who has climbed up the boards due to desperation and a lack of competition.
I would argue that Tannehill doesn't have a strong arm either. I keep hearing how it's "strong enough" but that's what we heard about Mark Sanchez too.

The more I see/read, the more I like Tannehill. I'm sold. (Not top 10, but 1st round sold.)

I would argue that Tannehill doesn't have a strong arm either. I keep hearing how it's "strong enough" but that's what we heard about Mark Sanchez too.
I think he has a strong arm, he just isn't accurate with it.

Barkley is two years younger, and Has a better completion percentage and ypa. Raw stats and expectations for improvement indicate a higher upside. I think people look at tannehill size and speed and project him improving as a passer. Barkley has show he has already achieved a better accuracy level than tannehill and he has more years to improve.

Barkley is two years younger, and Has a better completion percentage and ypa. Raw stats and expectations for improvement indicate a higher upside. I think people look at tannehill size and speed and project him improving as a passer. Barkley has show he has already achieved a better accuracy level than tannehill and he has more years to improve.
Or you could assume that the stats will favor any qb playing for a powerhouse team like USC. http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/jay-cutler-1.html

http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/matt-leinart-1.html

Are you arguing that John David Booty should have been drafted ahead of Matt Ryan?

It happens every year. Fans always think the top guy coming out next year is sexier than the guy coming out this year. I don't want Cam Newton. I want my team to draft ________ and then we can draft Andrew Luck next year.I don't want Matthew Stafford. I want my team to draft _______ and then we can draft Sam Bradford next year.etc.
:goodposting:
This isn't an accurate comparison. Cam was the best QB in his class, Stafford was as well. Tennehill is nowhere near the best QB in his class. In one situation you are comparing the best QB in 1 class vs. the best in another. Then in another situation, the Tannehill one, you are comparing the (at best) 3rd best QB vs. the other classes best.Yes, Barkely is head and shoulders better as a prospect. I think the OP is missing the point of people saying they wouldn't draft Tannehill though. It's not that people want to not draft him and wait for Barkely. That is silly. There are no guarantees that they will be in a position to draft Barkley next year. As a matter of fact, it's highly unlikely. Assuming of course he is the #1 player. It's simply that they don't feel teams should drastically reach for a QB prospect of Tannehill's caliber so early in the draft, say top 15. There is far too much talent on the board to waste an early pick like that on an average QB prospect.

'fatkid said:
Barkley has Robert Woods and Marquise Lee. Can you imagine Tannehill with those two? Last year, Barkley had Ronald Johnson in place of Lee. Yea exactly, Who?Tannehill is a more accurate Jake Locker. I also see a more athletic Matt Ryan.

Barkley reminds me a lot of Eli Manning. I also see some Jimmy Clausen. Yikes!

'renesauz said:
The more I see/read, the more I like Tannehill. I'm sold. (Not top 10, but 1st round sold.)
But if you see a guy as a first round talent and you need the position, I don't think it matters where you take them in that round.

'Donnybrook said:
'ImTheScientist said:
Barkley also makes up for his lack of athleticism in other ways. As does Peyton Manning, Eli Manning, Drew Brees, Philip Rivers, Tony Romo, and Matt Schaub among others. Any analysis that shows a correlation between athleticism and QB success in the NFL would be of great interest to me, so if you know of any please show it. Otherwise, I think this entire thread is based on a flawed premise.

'Donnybrook said:
'ImTheScientist said:
Barkley also makes up for his lack of athleticism in other ways. As does Peyton Manning, Eli Manning, Drew Brees, Philip Rivers, Tony Romo, and Matt Schaub among others. Any analysis that shows a correlation between athleticism and QB success in the NFL would be of great interest to me, so if you know of any please show it. Otherwise, I think this entire thread is based on a flawed premise.
:goodposting: The OP says, "convince me", but it really seems like he doesn't want to be convinced? :confused:

'Donnybrook said:
'fatkid said:
Or you could assume that the stats will favor any qb playing for a powerhouse team like USC. http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/jay-cutler-1.html

Are you arguing that John David Booty should have been drafted ahead of Matt Ryan?
Yes, that's exactly what he's saying :thumbdown:

'Donnybrook said:
'fatkid said:

Yes, that's exactly what he's saying :thumbdown:
He's the guy that introduced college stats like they mean something. Colt McCoy was a 70% career passer in college. Tim Tebow was a 66% passer with 9.3 yds/att.

'Donnybrook said:
'ImTheScientist said:
Read the following sentences and tell me the conclusion is not flawed.Athletically Aaron Rodgers is a better prospect than Tom Brady was, doesn't mean he can play QB. Athletically Cam Newton is a better prospect than Tom Brady was, doesn't mean he can play QB. Being athletic doesn't obviously make you a bad QB so the logic is flawed.

'benson_will_lead_the_way said:
'KellysHeroes said:
Has anyone that ever started playing junior yr of their college career ever been successful in the NFL
Matt Cassel didn't start at all in college and has performed average :shrug:
Cassell was a seven round pick and was pretty much undraftable in fantasy world

'Donnybrook said:
'ImTheScientist said:
Read the following sentences and tell me the conclusion is not flawed.Athletically Aaron Rodgers is a better prospect than Tom Brady was, doesn't mean he can play QB. Athletically Cam Newton is a better prospect than Tom Brady was, doesn't mean he can play QB. Being athletic doesn't obviously make you a bad QB so the logic is flawed.
I'm struggling trying to determine what you're trying to argue with this post.. could you reframe this post differently?

I think MV said it best, "Fans always think the top guy coming out next year is sexier than the guy coming out this year. "

My argument was the guy coming out is always under more scrutiny than the propect staying in school. Last year at this time, Andrew Luck was the consensus #1 (and I know that he still is) but some are questioning whether RGIII is a better propect. Even to make that suggestion last year was inviting ridicule.

Now I try to imagine that I have an open mind and maybe Matt Barkley is the better prospect after all. He has made better decisions with the football and has shown poise with the pressure of bigger games. Tannehill hasn't shown these qualities with his lack of experience.

As always argument is the pool usually come down to semantics. I guess I shouldn't have used the word athletically. I think mobility would have been better word - the ability of a QB to escape the pass rush and the speed to carry the ball for 1st downs etc. I am not sure if that would have worked either. I apologize for this thread it has been a dismal failure.

Dan Pompei throws cold water on using a high pick on Tannenhill.

Go to link for his take:

Dan Pompie NFP on Tannenhill

Barkley and Jones being mentioned makes sense for anyone not sold on Tannenhill IMHO due to the fact that they both were mentioned as high prospects this year till they went back to school, both Barkley and Landry Jones will be coming out next year so it is as simple as that Donny.

Tannenhill wasn't mentioned in the same breath as Luck and RG III was viewed as being a notch below Barkley and even Landry Jones in many projected top-ten lists before they both decided to stay in school. RG III got propelled into the second best player and Tannenhill got forced into top-ten consideration not due to suddenly becoming a better prospect but due to lack of top-ten QB talent available.

If Tannenhill wasn't a top-ten prospect in December and January then it makes sense to question his leap up the draft board into top-ten consideration.

Also Barkley may get injured or have a bad season, its happened before with projected top-ten QB talents who didn't come out so it could easily happen with Barkley but anyone who sees him as being a better prospect right now over Tannenhill certainly has the right to hold that opinion IMHO.

Dan Pompei doesn't seem to think Tannenhill is worth a top-ten pick.

...his stock spike was manufactured by one thing: quarterback desperation.

“Because the position has such a high value and because there is such a need to have a quarterback who is consistent and stable, people are reaching,” one general manager said.

Said a personnel director: “No one can tell you he’s a sure thing. But people don’t stick to their grades at the quarterback position.”

If people did stick to their grades, Tannehill would be a mid-second round pick, based on the eight personnel men I polled on Tannehill. None of them said they would choose Tannehill in the first round...

Barkley might be but Landry Jones isn't a future franchise QB. Anyone that thinks he might be really needs to see him play when he faces even the slightest hint of pressure. The guy caves just as badly as Gabbert at the hint of pressure. I'm telling you the guy to watch is Arkansas's Tyler Wilson. I'll be very eager to see him perform in a different offense than Petrino's next year.

Dan Pompei throws cold water on using a high pick on Tannenhill.

Go to link for his take:

Dan Pompie NFP on Tannenhill

Barkley and Jones being mentioned makes sense for anyone not sold on Tannenhill IMHO due to the fact that they both were mentioned as high prospects this year till they went back to school, both Barkley and Landry Jones will be coming out next year so it is as simple as that Donny.

Tannenhill wasn't mentioned in the same breath as Luck and RG III was viewed as being a notch below Barkley and even Landry Jones in many projected top-ten lists before they both decided to stay in school. RG III got propelled into the second best player and Tannenhill got forced into top-ten consideration not due to suddenly becoming a better prospect but due to lack of top-ten QB talent available.

If Tannenhill wasn't a top-ten prospect in December and January then it makes sense to question his leap up the draft board into top-ten consideration.

Also Barkley may get injured or have a bad season, its happened before with projected top-ten QB talents who didn't come out so it could easily happen with Barkley but anyone who sees him as being a better prospect right now over Tannenhill certainly has the right to hold that opinion IMHO.

Dan Pompei doesn't seem to think Tannenhill is worth a top-ten pick.

...his stock spike was manufactured by one thing: quarterback desperation.

“Because the position has such a high value and because there is such a need to have a quarterback who is consistent and stable, people are reaching,” one general manager said.

Said a personnel director: “No one can tell you he’s a sure thing. But people don’t stick to their grades at the quarterback position.”

If people did stick to their grades, Tannehill would be a mid-second round pick, based on the eight personnel men I polled on Tannehill. None of them said they would choose Tannehill in the first round...
I heard Solomon Wilcox saying basically the same thing on the NFL XM radio stationWilcox said that once the season was over no one considered Tannehill a top prospect and since there haven’t been any games played since the season ended he just doesn’t understand why anyone would adjust their draft board and draft Tannehill in the 1st round.

Seems like the recipe for disaster to me

Barkley by a MILE. Tannehill is insanely overrated by armchair draft gurus. He's going to get the Brady Quinn treatment and we'll see him dropping WAY farther than any of you expected. He's just not very good. Watch the tape.

I :lmao: whenever I see people here predicting him to be taken in the top 4...top 6...even top 8. NFL scouts aren't that desperate to waste an early pick on a guy who is mid-second round material just because there are only 2 good QB's in this draft.

'Donnybrook said:
'EBF said:
'Donnybrook said:
Kyle Boller was a 4 year starter and completed 53.4 % of his passes in his senior year. Tannehill started 19 games and completed 61.5 % of his passes in his senior year. I guess you feel that Tannehill like Boller won't improve with experience. What's not to like about Flacco? He doesn't put up fantasy numbers? Last time I watched him, he outplayed Tom Brady in the AFC Championship with Vince Wilfork constantly in his grill.
Well in fairness the ravens have nobody to pressure a Qb into mistakes

Barkley by a MILE. Tannehill is insanely overrated by armchair draft gurus. He's going to get the Brady Quinn treatment and we'll see him dropping WAY farther than any of you expected. He's just not very good. Watch the tape.

I :lmao: whenever I see people here predicting him to be taken in the top 4...top 6...even top 8. NFL scouts aren't that desperate to waste an early pick on a guy who is mid-second round material just because there are only 2 good QB's in this draft.
Well, at least Tannehill has scouts like Mayock in his fan club. Mayock has said that Tannehill has a bigger arm than Luck - not that it means anything. On the other hand, Mayock was not high on Quinn. On draft day, I recall Mayock saying that Tyler Palco was more of a natural passer than Quinn.I will be surprised if Tannehill falls for another reason. I believe the rookie salary cap has changed the way teams draft QBs. A rookie QB's salary is not going to a huge burden on a team. They can trade or cut a rookie QB if they choose. Christian Ponder, for example, signed a 4 year $10.15 million deal. Sam Bradford will usually make more than that in a single season. Teams can now afford to let their 1st round rookie QB sit and learn as a developmental prospect.

Users who are viewing this thread