#1 8ebok24

8ebok24

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9,661 posts
  • Joined 05-October 05

Posted 09 April 2012 - 06:23 AM

By doing a search I could see that the interest in this game is very minimal here. Hopefully this thread grows with players, and hopefully introduce the game to others. I've played backgammon for a long time, had many gaps of inactivity, but have recently been playing, studying, and strategically thinking about it more than I ever have. Maybe in here we can organize tourneys(I play on yahoo), discuss strategies, etc. As an opening question I'd like to throw out, what is the best/your opening move for a roll of 6,4? Expecting crickets, but hopefully I will be surprised.

Edited by 8ebok24, 25 May 2012 - 04:36 AM.

#2 culdeus

culdeus

Have good

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37,123 posts
  • Joined 21-August 03
  • Interests:Bottom

Posted 09 April 2012 - 06:28 AM

8/2 6/2 :scared: This game is simple if you just play for single point. When you use the doubler it can get really complex. You need to have a very good feel for probablities to stay in a doubler game

#3 pittstownkiller

pittstownkiller

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8,741 posts
  • Joined 30-August 10

Posted 09 April 2012 - 06:36 AM

I used to play backgammon, about 35 years ago with one of my sisters, but I don't anymore. I've always enjoyed the game and would like to teach it to my son; any ideas on how to present this to him. I have almost no recollection of the rules but have tried to play some games with him. I think the hardest part of trying to teach a child a game is when you have a limited grasp yourself because there is little passion that comes out for them to see. Do you have a website, or online group, that you would recommend? I do not have any strategies to offer but am curious on how you bet/score the game; any suggestions?
[/quote]

#4 8ebok24

8ebok24

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9,661 posts
  • Joined 05-October 05

Posted 09 April 2012 - 06:38 AM

8/2 6/2 :scared: This game is simple if you just play for single point. When you use the doubler it can get really complex. You need to have a very good feel for probablities to stay in a doubler game

I always did 8/2 6/2, but now I'm using 24/18 13/9, and I like it much more. 8/2 6/2 is pretty useless without some lucky/unlucky rolls for your opponent. Agree about the double cube. My friends and I use to use it, but it just got crazy after awhile involving cash. We play single point all the time now. Using the cube is almost an entirely different game. What about a 6,5 roll. Lover's leap? That's the standard, I experiment with a 24/18, 13/8, and I like that too. It always seems like I get trapped if I use the lover's leap.

#5 Matthias

Matthias

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13,230 posts
  • Joined 21-September 09

Posted 09 April 2012 - 06:41 AM

My impression has been that the doubling cube is at least half of the strategy
I thought this thread would be bad when I read the topic, but it is actually much worse after reading some of the responses in here. -JoeT

#6 culdeus

culdeus

Have good

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37,123 posts
  • Joined 21-August 03

Posted 09 April 2012 - 06:45 AM

My impression has been that the doubling cube is at least half of the strategy

I'm not very good. I basically just camp on a doubling game waiting for a huge roll or a mistake to hit. On a non doubling game I just swing for the fences.

#7 8ebok24

8ebok24

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9,661 posts
  • Joined 05-October 05

Posted 09 April 2012 - 06:49 AM

I used to play backgammon, about 35 years ago with one of my sisters, but I don't anymore. I've always enjoyed the game and would like to teach it to my son; any ideas on how to present this to him. I have almost no recollection of the rules but have tried to play some games with him. I think the hardest part of trying to teach a child a game is when you have a limited grasp yourself because there is little passion that comes out for them to see. Do you have a website, or online group, that you would recommend? I do not have any strategies to offer but am curious on how you bet/score the game; any suggestions?

To get your feel back for the game, I recommend playing some games on yahoo, I'm sure it will all come back to you have some games. My favorite website I use for strategies and discussion is http://www.bkgm.com/. Everything you need to know is right there.

I mostly play on yahoo. I have 2 friends who play and when we get together we throw cash down on every game and play for hours. We play first to five wins without a doubling cube. Clearing all your blots before your opponent has cleared one is worth two wins.

I taught my sister this weekend, and she seemed to enjoy it. It's going to take time, just like with any game. Just be patient, explain each move, and basic strategies. Also just like any game, you just have to keep playing and eventually they will grasp it.

#8 Socrates11

Socrates11

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4,838 posts
  • Joined 19-September 07

Posted 09 April 2012 - 06:50 AM

Used to play this like crazy in college. Light one up with friends and play some gammon. Miss it.
"True wisdom comes to each of us when we realize how little we understand about life, ourselves, and the world around us."

#9 Addai's Adidas

Addai's Adidas

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3,893 posts
  • Joined 18-April 07
  • Location:I wonder how much junk I an cram in here? More, more, more, more, more, more, more, more, more, more, more, more, more, more,

Posted 09 April 2012 - 06:52 AM

I've got Backgammon on my phone. Great timewaster.

#10 culdeus

culdeus

Have good

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37,123 posts
  • Joined 21-August 03

Posted 09 April 2012 - 06:53 AM

easiest way to learn is on iphong apps. I can now dominate the computer on all but the "Computer gets a never ending string of doubles" difficulty.

#11 8ebok24

8ebok24

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9,661 posts
  • Joined 05-October 05

Posted 09 April 2012 - 07:01 AM

easiest way to learn is on iphong apps. I can now dominate the computer on all but the "Computer gets a never ending string of doubles" difficulty.

:goodposting: That's another great learning tool. Just be sure to turn off your "markers" or you will be lost playing live.

#12 Wrighteous Ray

Wrighteous Ray

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4,055 posts
  • Joined 18-April 08

Posted 09 April 2012 - 07:15 AM

If we do some sort of backgammon tourney, I'm in. I got into the game around 2001-2002, then stopped playing pretty abruptly and have barely played since then. But I like it a lot. ETA: Gotta use the doubling cube. The tourney should be something like head-to-head matches to nine or something.

Edited by Wrighteous Ray, 09 April 2012 - 07:15 AM.

#13 spOOfy

spOOfy

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9,452 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 09 April 2012 - 07:25 AM

I've never read a word of strategy on the game but play several times a week at expert level (vs. other "expert" human players) on whatever backgammon game came on my computer. I usually play that + spades at the same time. :bag:
the incredible, edible, spoof

#14 spOOfy

spOOfy

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9,452 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 09 April 2012 - 07:27 AM

if i'm understanding what 8/2 6/2 means, that is usually what I do also. I don't always do that though. 65 I go with lover's leap, again, assuming I understand what that means.

#15 8ebok24

8ebok24

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9,661 posts
  • Joined 05-October 05

Posted 09 April 2012 - 07:32 AM

if i'm understanding what 8/2 6/2 means, that is usually what I do also. I don't always do that though. 65 I go with lover's leap, again, assuming I understand what that means.

Yeah 8/2 6/2 is capturing the 2 row of your "home". People don't really like it because it's too far advanced and almost pointless with your 3,4, and 5 uncovered. Lover's leap is your 24 to 13.

#16 culdeus

culdeus

Have good

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37,123 posts
  • Joined 21-August 03

Posted 09 April 2012 - 07:34 AM

Yeah 8/2 6/2 is capturing the 2 row of your "home". People don't really like it because it's too far advanced and almost pointless with your 3,4, and 5 uncovered. Lover's leap is your 24 to 13.

Defense Wins Championships

#17 spOOfy

spOOfy

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9,452 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 09 April 2012 - 07:35 AM

okay, then yes, this is normally what i do for opening move 64 and 65 rolls.

#18 bryhamm

bryhamm

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19,812 posts
  • Joined 26-August 03

Posted 09 April 2012 - 07:36 AM

I usually do 8/2 and 6/2, but I can see the thought in not doing it that way. I am one that often tries to get single guys into the 9-11 spot for future pairings. Regarding a tourney, I would be in. I tried organizing one about a year ago, but it didn't garner any interest.
Way to often, people confuse stupidity for collusion. -- JuniorNB

I never said I wouldn't ride my rickshaw up her Ho Chi Minh Trail. -- RudiStein

#19 spOOfy

spOOfy

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9,452 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 09 April 2012 - 07:36 AM

what other move do you really have with a 64 roll? you can send your 24 to 14 i guess. i will occasionally do that, but not often.

#20 VA703

VA703

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3,752 posts
  • Joined 28-March 12

Posted 09 April 2012 - 07:40 AM

chess> stratego>
The man, became suspicious when he noticed a strange odor coming from his wife’s genitals

#21 culdeus

culdeus

Have good

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37,123 posts
  • Joined 21-August 03

Posted 09 April 2012 - 07:46 AM

what other move do you really have with a 64 roll? you can send your 24 to 14 i guess. i will occasionally do that, but not often.

Jailbreak the 24 is the agressive option. Problem is you are married to moving that guy the next go if he's not taken out.... It's early so lots of people like to gamble early on. If you are white then if color has more than a 2 to hit you then I'd never do it.

Edited by culdeus, 09 April 2012 - 07:46 AM.

#22 8ebok24

8ebok24

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9,661 posts
  • Joined 05-October 05

Posted 09 April 2012 - 08:05 AM

24 to 18 13 to 9 It really sets up well. It's overaggressive but I like it a lot. Lover's leap is the correct play, I just always seem to get unlucky and get trapped.

#23 8ebok24

8ebok24

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9,661 posts
  • Joined 05-October 05

Posted 09 April 2012 - 08:06 AM

As far as a tourney goes. I'm in. Where do you guys play? Yahoo?

#24 KGB

KGB

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8,317 posts
  • Joined 29-April 03

Posted 09 April 2012 - 08:16 AM

There is a great Backgammon story in this book. http://books.google....id=MuNAbZza6X8C

#25 grateful zed

grateful zed

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5,708 posts
  • Joined 20-August 09

Posted 09 April 2012 - 08:47 AM

i love all games that have reasonable strategies, but find backgammon boring, kinda like blackjack. the only entertaining version for me would be for cash with the doubling cube, and then, snowed in, with a hot chick, a warm fire and some scotch. sorry. :shrug:

#26 spOOfy

spOOfy

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9,452 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 09 April 2012 - 08:55 AM

24 to 18 13 to 9 It really sets up well. It's overaggressive but I like it a lot. Lover's leap is the correct play, I just always seem to get unlucky and get trapped.

interesting.

#27 glumpy

glumpy

breeze

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14,395 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 09 April 2012 - 09:11 AM

Thanks for explaining that! I've gone through periods such as Socrates described, playing all the time, but have been too busy for recent years and don't have anyone around interested in the game any more--maybe any board games if they're not computerized. Even when I played it was straight up, no doubling or anything. Pittsdownkiller--I always got my first born involved with games, and backgammon was a natural. He also liked chess, but I never got him too interested in either cribbage or card games--all of which were staples in my own household growing up. Once kids become interested in any of them I think it's easier to go to others from there, and I'd say backgammon is relatively easy to learn. Of course--once the NES came out he and I were both hooked on some of those games!

Edited by glumpy, 09 April 2012 - 09:12 AM.

-~- S -~- L -~- O -~- W -~-

A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, "Damn...that was fun!"

"If you don't like the way I'm living--you just leave this long-haired country boy alone."

#28 gmbacm

gmbacm

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5,217 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 09 April 2012 - 09:40 AM

id be in for a tourney if we had a "not very good" category.

#29 UniAlias

UniAlias

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3,295 posts
  • Joined 25-September 05

Posted 09 April 2012 - 09:43 AM

I'm in for a tourney. :thumbup:

#30 8ebok24

8ebok24

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9,661 posts
  • Joined 05-October 05

Posted 09 April 2012 - 04:18 PM

I'm in for a tourney. :thumbup:

Bump for the late night crowd. Do you play on yahoo?

#31 8ebok24

8ebok24

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9,661 posts
  • Joined 05-October 05

Posted 11 April 2012 - 05:45 AM

In for Tourney: 8ebok24 UniAlias gmbacm bryhamm Wrighteous Ray Let me know if you want in......

#32 NJDawgPound

NJDawgPound

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2,353 posts
  • Joined 24-February 09

Posted 11 April 2012 - 05:50 AM

Backgammon tourney... Jeez, what are we a nursing home? Just kidding. Cool idea.

#33 Matthias

Matthias

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13,230 posts
  • Joined 21-September 09

Posted 11 April 2012 - 06:39 AM

Yo
I thought this thread would be bad when I read the topic, but it is actually much worse after reading some of the responses in here. -JoeT

#34 culdeus

culdeus

Have good

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37,123 posts
  • Joined 21-August 03

Posted 11 April 2012 - 06:43 AM

i'm in, but I suck so make sure I play uni the first round so I have a chance.

#35 spOOfy

spOOfy

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9,452 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 11 April 2012 - 07:58 AM

i'd be in.

#36 8ebok24

8ebok24

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9,661 posts
  • Joined 05-October 05

Posted 11 April 2012 - 08:15 AM

In for Tourney: 8ebok24 UniAlias gmbacm bryhamm Wrighteous Ray culdeus spoofy Does everyone have a Yahoo account?

#37 spOOfy

spOOfy

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9,452 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 11 April 2012 - 08:24 AM

In for Tourney: 8ebok24 UniAlias gmbacm bryhamm Wrighteous Ray culdeus spoofy Does everyone have a Yahoo account?

i have a yahoo account. have not played games on there in years (used to play chess).

#38 Matthias

Matthias

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13,230 posts
  • Joined 21-September 09

Posted 11 April 2012 - 08:25 AM

In for Tourney:
8ebok24
UniAlias
gmbacm
bryhamm
Wrighteous Ray
culdeus
spoofy

Does everyone have a Yahoo account?

:hey:

#39 5Rings

5Rings

Lurker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5,593 posts
  • Joined 20-April 03

Posted 11 April 2012 - 08:35 AM

i have a yahoo account. have not played games on there in years (used to play chess).

I'm in. Never played gammon on yahoo, only spades years ago.
Moochers Electing Looters to Steal from Producers

#40 Osaurus

Osaurus

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14,248 posts
  • Joined 04-January 06
  • Interests:Yak Herding

Posted 11 April 2012 - 11:15 AM

HTH did I miss this thread? In with a Yahoo! spam account. :thumbup:

Edited by Osaurus, 11 April 2012 - 11:20 AM.

- no matter where you go, there you are.

She was smoking some of that Endor Fern.

Someone get the new kid a map of the Shart Pool

#41 Wrighteous Ray

Wrighteous Ray

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4,055 posts
  • Joined 18-April 08

Posted 11 April 2012 - 11:25 AM

Is there a way to set up a tourney on Yahoo? Does it use the doubling cube? I remember playing on Yahoo a few times but it was years ago.

#42 QuizGuy66

QuizGuy66

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15,465 posts
  • Joined 15-August 03

Posted 11 April 2012 - 11:26 AM

I used to play on FIBS way back in the day :) (heck that's the reason for the dice avatar in the first place) I'm in if there's still a spot and the schedule is forgiving enough :) -QG

Edited by QuizGuy66, 11 April 2012 - 11:26 AM.

#43 8ebok24

8ebok24

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9,661 posts
  • Joined 05-October 05

Posted 11 April 2012 - 04:06 PM

Is there a way to set up a tourney on Yahoo? Does it use the doubling cube? I remember playing on Yahoo a few times but it was years ago.

Not sure if there is a way to set up a tourney on there. I was just thinking getting everyone who wants in, creating a bracket and then having everyone play their matchups when both can agree to a time. They do use a doubling cube, we can decide before hand if we want to use one or not. I'm open to either. Anyone have any better ideas? Looks like there is enough interest to get this going!!!!! I guess lets keep signing people up until Monday. Then create a bracket and get started.

Edited by 8ebok24, 11 April 2012 - 04:07 PM.

#44 Wrighteous Ray

Wrighteous Ray

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4,055 posts
  • Joined 18-April 08

Posted 11 April 2012 - 04:09 PM

They do use a doubling cube, we can decide before hand if we want to use one or not. I'm open to either.

Put me down as a vote for using the doubling cube.

#45 Matthias

Matthias

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13,230 posts
  • Joined 21-September 09

Posted 11 April 2012 - 04:19 PM

They do use a doubling cube, we can decide before hand if we want to use one or not. I'm open to either.

Put me down as a vote for using the doubling cube.

x2

#46 bananafish

bananafish

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1,732 posts
  • Joined 04-October 07

Posted 11 April 2012 - 08:08 PM

I'm in for the tourney and prefer the doubling cube if that is seriously considered. Backgammon is the perfect blend of simple/complex for me. I love it. I tried to get my girlfriend interested but she thinks it's "boring". Pshaw. Never even gave it a chance really.

I have no idea what makes you think that pointing out how irretrievably stupid you are in every post somehow affects me.

#47 chet

chet

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21,066 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 12 April 2012 - 03:44 AM

I always did 8/2 6/2, but now I'm using 24/18 13/9, and I like it much more. 8/2 6/2 is pretty useless without some lucky/unlucky rolls for your opponent. Agree about the double cube. My friends and I use to use it, but it just got crazy after awhile involving cash. We play single point all the time now. Using the cube is almost an entirely different game. What about a 6,5 roll. Lover's leap? That's the standard, I experiment with a 24/18, 13/8, and I like that too. It always seems like I get trapped if I use the lover's leap.

Without the cube, BG is too simple. 8/2 6/2 is probably wrong but it depends on the match score.
Whenever I pass a Prius, I downshift so they can hear me hurting the environment.

#48 chet

chet

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21,066 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 12 April 2012 - 03:50 AM

I used to play quite a bit and actually got decent. Haven't played much in the last 5+years and my skills have definitely slipped. Anyone ever use snowie to analyse matches? Very powerful tool.
Whenever I pass a Prius, I downshift so they can hear me hurting the environment.

#49 chet

chet

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21,066 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 12 April 2012 - 03:56 AM

I just went back to www.gammonline.com which is now free (!). It is run by Kit Woolsey who is one of the world's best BG players. He's also pimping some free BG software. I haven't used it but I'm pretty sure it'd be robust at the least. I also used to play at games grid.com years ago but it went under. Anyone else ever play there? That ####### raccoon (world class computer player) was my nemesis.

#50 spOOfy

spOOfy

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9,452 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 12 April 2012 - 07:53 AM

also fine with double cube

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users