Photo

Should an NFL team sign that 7'-8" guy from the Globetrotters.

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

Poll: Well...should they...

Sign that beast...?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Stinkin Ref

Stinkin Ref

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6,982 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 10 April 2012 - 08:56 AM

I know most would consider it a waste of a roster spot....and he ain't gonna block everyone of them....but if he could save you some points here or there and if nothing else give the opposing kicker something to really think about....why not....?....it would be a special team roster spot anyway and it could actually impact the scoreboard... he is somewhat athletic...can dunk without jumping....line him up at the line of scrimmage-just standing there....get a little push in front of him somehow....and knock it down... he might even be a good red-zone target in a one on one jump ball situation at the goaline... sorry...it's offseason and the draft seems like a long way away still....... :football:

Edited by Stinkin Ref, 10 April 2012 - 09:00 AM.

Second place is the first loser

Potential means you haven't done anything yet.
Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard.

#2 Dr. Octopus

Dr. Octopus

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7,517 posts
  • Joined 06-September 05

Posted 10 April 2012 - 09:03 AM

Unless it's a bad snap, a mis-kick or a real long FG where a low tragectory was necessary - it's pretty pretty rare to block a FG. Extra points are nearly impossible to block even if you had a 10' guy.

I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day. ~ Frank Sinatra

#3 daveR

daveR

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1,608 posts
  • Joined 19-April 03

Posted 10 April 2012 - 09:10 AM

NFL rules prohibit this. You must penetrate the line of scrimage first.

Edited by daveR, 10 April 2012 - 09:10 AM.

That's just my opinion -- I could be wrong.

#4 benson_will_lead_the_way

benson_will_lead_the_way

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5,499 posts
  • Joined 07-November 05

Posted 10 April 2012 - 09:10 AM

I love the idea of throwing him a fade. Think of Dwight Clark in "the catch" in regards to his radius...then add another foot.
When debating keep this in mind: Do you want to be right or rather find the correct answer?

#5 Stinkin Ref

Stinkin Ref

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6,982 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 10 April 2012 - 09:12 AM

Unless it's a bad snap, a mis-kick or a real long FG where a low tragectory was necessary - it's pretty pretty rare to block a FG. Extra points are nearly impossible to block even if you had a 10' guy.

dude is 10 foot just standing with arms in the air.....many FG's cross the line of scrimmage lower than 10 feet...not just the long ones..... blocking them now is based on getting push and having say at best a 6'5" guy raise his arm and not jump with guys trying to hold/block him down....and look how close it still is sometimes....have this guy stay standing...take one step and actually jump....going to get a get at least a couple more feet there easy.... and even if it is just on long ones....that could really impact a game and I would imagine really get in the head of the kickers.... plus dude would be a beast on jump balls in the end zone....

#6 Stinkin Ref

Stinkin Ref

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6,982 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 10 April 2012 - 09:13 AM

line him up on the line...take one step....jump

#7 benson_will_lead_the_way

benson_will_lead_the_way

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5,499 posts
  • Joined 07-November 05

Posted 10 April 2012 - 09:15 AM

dude is 10 foot just standing with arms in the air.....many FG's cross the line of scrimmage lower than 10 feet...not just the long ones..... blocking them now is based on getting push and having say at best a 6'5" guy raise his arm and not jump with guys trying to hold/block him down....and look how close it still is sometimes....have this guy stay standing...take one step and actually jump....going to get a get at least a couple more feet there easy.... and even if it is just on long ones....that could really impact a game and I would imagine really get in the head of the kickers.... plus dude would be a beast on jump balls in the end zone....

I'm sure Kickers would then start trying to put a nice Bubba Watson slice on the kick to go around him :lmao:
When debating keep this in mind: Do you want to be right or rather find the correct answer?

#8 RUSF18

RUSF18

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4,525 posts
  • Joined 09-September 07

Posted 10 April 2012 - 04:22 PM

Sumo goalie in the NHL is a better idea.

#9 eakfootball

eakfootball

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2,590 posts
  • Joined 12-June 10

Posted 10 April 2012 - 04:25 PM

I've been promoting both these ideas for years, they make too much sense to work.

#10 eakfootball

eakfootball

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2,590 posts
  • Joined 12-June 10

Posted 10 April 2012 - 04:26 PM

For a goal line play they should get the worlds strongest man, and a midget. Pad up the midget, give him the ball, and have the bodybuilder throw him over the pile for the score.

#11 SWC

SWC

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2,351 posts
  • Joined 09-October 05

Posted 10 April 2012 - 05:11 PM

i totally support this and all other gaget plays because they make the game more exciting for fans and i also support using a really short guy and having a big strong lineman throw him like a projectile missile at opposing players to knock them down so like if you had a rb going around the corner bam the next thing you know he is blasted by a flying short guy in a helmet and fully body pads and armor and obliterated into the tenth dimension it would baiscally be unstoppable and like having a cannon missle launcher on d and then you could do the same thing on o just have the big guy throw the little dude with the ball and the only limit would be how far you could throw him but i bet it owuld be more than 4 or 5 yards so basically you would score every time you got the ball game over probably be like 60-14 every game in favor of the team throwing around the short guy take that to the bank my main brohans

#12 Sarnoff

Sarnoff

Footballguy

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 16,524 posts
  • Joined 21-March 09

Posted 10 April 2012 - 05:35 PM

IIRC this was tried and it didn't work

#13 daveR

daveR

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1,608 posts
  • Joined 19-April 03

Posted 10 April 2012 - 05:49 PM

For a goal line play they should get the worlds strongest man, and a midget. Pad up the midget, give him the ball, and have the bodybuilder throw him over the pile for the score.

William "refrigerator" Perry tried this once. He was flagged.
That's just my opinion -- I could be wrong.

#14 PatsFanCT

PatsFanCT

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4,729 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 10 April 2012 - 05:52 PM

I saw this guy play a couple months ago. He has no athletic talent, he's the most awkward looking "athlete" I ever saw. He would take one shot and end up with a broken neck.

#15 ChainsawU

ChainsawU

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7,856 posts
  • Joined 04-September 07
  • Interests:SDQL

Posted 10 April 2012 - 06:24 PM

You are almost there with the midget idea, but you bit off a little more than you could chew asking for cheap TDs.

The answer to the OP is to line a midget up on the field defensively during a FG or XP, and let him run through the offensive lineman's legs, and disrupt or distract the holder once he pops out the other side of the line of scrimmage.

:thumbup:

#16 Qmaster

Qmaster

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 132 posts
  • Joined 17-June 03

Posted 10 April 2012 - 07:01 PM

i totally support this and all other gaget plays because they make the game more exciting for fans and i also support using a really short guy and having a big strong lineman throw him like a projectile missile at opposing players to knock them down so like if you had a rb going around the corner bam the next thing you know he is blasted by a flying short guy in a helmet and fully body pads and armor and obliterated into the tenth dimension it would baiscally be unstoppable and like having a cannon missle launcher on d and then you could do the same thing on o just have the big guy throw the little dude with the ball and the only limit would be how far you could throw him but i bet it owuld be more than 4 or 5 yards so basically you would score every time you got the ball game over probably be like 60-14 every game in favor of the team throwing around the short guy take that to the bank my main brohans

Love this :thumbup:

#17 Stinkin Ref

Stinkin Ref

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6,982 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 10 April 2012 - 07:52 PM

if nothing else this should be a sports science segment or something where they have vanderjagt and the gramatica brothers or something come in and try to kick fg's from different distances around this dude....break it down scientifically before we dismiss it as not being possibly the greatest football strategy of all time....

#18 bucsbaby

bucsbaby

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1,496 posts
  • Joined 01-August 08

Posted 10 April 2012 - 08:01 PM

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

#19 MikeApf

MikeApf

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1,248 posts
  • Joined 30-August 03

Posted 10 April 2012 - 09:30 PM

What he said. :thumbup:

#20 Gadabout

Gadabout

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3,512 posts
  • Joined 23-November 04

Posted 10 April 2012 - 10:04 PM

I've always thought that this strategy would work out, only I think a guy like Dwight Howard would be more ideal.

#21 Deamon

Deamon

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2,069 posts
  • Joined 27-July 10

Posted 10 April 2012 - 10:54 PM

I've always thought that this strategy would work out, only I think a guy like Dwight Howard would be more ideal.

Ya I think a guy like Howard- 6'11 with beastly athletic ability- would be much better and could probably actually jump higher then the 7'8 dude. I think Howard would actually be worth a roster spot for those endzone toss ups and blocked long fg attempts.

#22 Dr. Octopus

Dr. Octopus

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7,517 posts
  • Joined 06-September 05

Posted 11 April 2012 - 05:03 AM

The guy on the Globetroters probably makes more money playing with them than what an NFL team would be willing to pay a guy that may block 2-3 FGs a year (that may have missed anyway). I'm pretty sure Dwight will stay with the NBA. :P

I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day. ~ Frank Sinatra

#23 solorca

solorca

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4,541 posts
  • Joined 28-July 10

Posted 11 April 2012 - 05:28 AM

Julius Peppers is obviously smaller than this, but I think his basketball skills allowed him to be elite when it came to blocking kicks. I can't speak for how they use him in Chicago now, but in his earlier years in Carolina, it seemed like he blocked at least a few kicks every year.

@dereksdaycare on twitter

#24 dehaven123

dehaven123

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 573 posts
  • Joined 19-January 10

Posted 11 April 2012 - 12:16 PM

I'm sure Kickers would then start trying to put a nice Bubba Watson slice on the kick to go around him :lmao:

not true. it would be a draw, not a slice. everybody knows a draw goes further. jeesh. :P
Hail! 3 Lombardi's and counting...

#25 Greg Russell

Greg Russell

Footballguy

• Staff
  • Pip
  • 8,060 posts
  • Joined 11-April 03

Posted 11 April 2012 - 12:46 PM

Can you elaborate what you mean, or post the rule you're talking about? The only restrictions I'm aware of are: * you can't goal tend at the cross bar * anyone can jump to block a kick, but if you lined up more than 1 yard off the LOS it's a penalty if you land on another player * you can't use another player for a boost None of those should be a problem in this situation.

"When I was young I thought that money was the most important thing in life; now that I am old I know that it is." - Oscar Wilde

Click to follow me on Twitter.

#26 Nagle2998

Nagle2998

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 606 posts
  • Joined 17-April 03

Posted 11 April 2012 - 12:53 PM

When I would love to know why it didnt work seems like a great idea

#27 Greg Russell

Greg Russell

Footballguy

• Staff
  • Pip
  • 8,060 posts
  • Joined 11-April 03

Posted 11 April 2012 - 01:12 PM

Even a sumo isn't big enough to block the entire goal, which is 6 feet by 4 feet. This means they would need to be able to skate, they can't just lie there.

"When I was young I thought that money was the most important thing in life; now that I am old I know that it is." - Oscar Wilde

Click to follow me on Twitter.

#28 Don Quixote

Don Quixote

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6,084 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 11 April 2012 - 01:53 PM

Not sure if this is what other poster was talking about, but there was a Sports Science on it once... http://www.youtube.c...h?v=sP8ZVWiZUMA

#29 Stinkin Ref

Stinkin Ref

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6,982 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 11 April 2012 - 02:34 PM

Not sure if this is what other poster was talking about, but there was a Sports Science on it once... http://www.youtube.c...h?v=sP8ZVWiZUMA

on an awesomeness scale....that was about as close as you can get to a 6......but awesome nonetheless

I would seriously be interested in one of these with the Globetrotter dude blocking FG's.....seriously....the science part of how much more area he would cover on kicks of different lengths, etc...but also the mindset of the kicker on kicks of different lengths, etc....I think we would be surprised by both.....

#30 ImTheScientist

ImTheScientist

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7,802 posts
  • Joined 20-February 06
  • Interests:Winning the $250,000 from the FPC

Posted 11 April 2012 - 02:45 PM

:goodposting:

KISS THE RING!!!

#31 ImTheScientist

ImTheScientist

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7,802 posts
  • Joined 20-February 06
  • Interests:Winning the $250,000 from the FPC

Posted 11 April 2012 - 02:48 PM

Worlds shortest man to pinch hit in baseball. It would be an insta-walk and then you sub out a runner for him.

KISS THE RING!!!

#32 DoubleG

DoubleG

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9,788 posts
  • Joined 03-June 05

Posted 11 April 2012 - 03:50 PM

:goodposting: "assisting" another player is against the rules. Being tall and jumping is not - as long as you don't land or jump off of another player or "goal tend" at the crossbar.

statistics don't lie, just people who use them

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, just not their own set of facts.

Physical disabilities does NOT include obesity.  Take the stairs, fattie.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I can't think of a single problem in life that can't be solved with laser beams.

Public Service Announcement: If this had been an actual response to your thread, the feeble attempt at poor humor would have been followed by actual helpful advice. As this is likely not a helpful response in any measurable way, please simply consider the above post a free bump.

#33 HellToupee

HellToupee

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25,498 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 11 April 2012 - 04:03 PM

I always thought the NFL sidelines & goal line should lined in chocolate pudding

#34 Stinkin Ref

Stinkin Ref

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6,982 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 11 April 2012 - 04:58 PM

:goodposting: "assisting" another player is against the rules. Being tall and jumping is not - as long as you don't land or jump off of another player or "goal tend" at the crossbar.

I thinking aiding the runner is illegal in high school and college...(except when Bush helped Lienart into the endzone and it wasn't called)...but I do not think it is illegal in the NFL.... which then, makes me think having this Globetrotter dude play QB at goaline situations could work too....he takes the snap and just stands up with arms extended over the goal line (slight lean forward)...the more I'm thinking about this it could actually save roster spots.... ;)

Edited by Stinkin Ref, 11 April 2012 - 04:59 PM.

#35 elguapo07

elguapo07

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 400 posts
  • Joined 21-November 07

Posted 11 April 2012 - 06:26 PM

Wasn't there chatter back in the 70's of an NFL team looking to sign Andre the Giant to do this?

#36 tud_duke

tud_duke

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 140 posts
  • Joined 12-March 08

Posted 11 April 2012 - 06:43 PM

The nhl goalie thing doesn't work. There is a max pad size and if you can't fit into them you can't play.

#37 SWC

SWC

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2,351 posts
  • Joined 09-October 05

Posted 12 April 2012 - 04:04 AM

another thing that woudl be awesome would be if they had a sumo wrestler in pads and lined him up as a slot receiver and then no one one even cover him because the other d would all act like what is this a joke not really my friends because once he got the ball it would take about 3 dbs to pull him down and he would be surprisingly fast and agile for his size due to his samuri training and although he would not do it unless he was on the saints he could chop a guys head off if he needed to with his katana sword and then the rest of the team would probably admire his dedication to his craft and undertake a samuri way of life by the sword and instantly that team would be catapulted into contention for the nfl title LOmbardi trophy to remember to study the ancient samuri arts and take it to the dojo brohans

#38 POLITE ALL CAPS GUY

POLITE ALL CAPS GUY

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
  • Joined 09-April 12

Posted 12 April 2012 - 04:31 AM

Worlds shortest man to pinch hit in baseball. It would be an insta-walk and then you sub out a runner for him.

SOUNDS LIKE EDDIE GAEDEL, WHO WAS WALKED BY BOB CAIN!

#39 PatsFanCT

PatsFanCT

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4,729 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 13 April 2012 - 09:37 AM

He's 7'8 and can't even play in the NBA, but he could play for the NFL?

#40 Stinkin Ref

Stinkin Ref

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6,982 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 13 April 2012 - 09:44 AM

did you even read the part about him really just being in to block/disrupt kicks.....

#41 az_prof

az_prof

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6,758 posts
  • Joined 18-July 03

Posted 13 April 2012 - 09:49 AM

I dont' know about this particular guy, but the basic idea of having a kick block specialist makes sense. Sign a really tall AND athletic guy. Put him just behind the LOS, varying the point of attack, and have him follow the push of the lineman and jump. Typically the tallest guy on a football team is 6'5'' to 6'7''. Getting a 6'10-6'11 guy with some jump and having him specialize at this would be worth it. There are a lot more teams attempting longer and longer FGs. Those FGs require a lower trajectory, and this is where a blocking specialist could be handy.
Two time Dynasty champion in Dynasty4Ever3.

#42 fatness

fatness

against the grain

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23,576 posts
  • Joined 06-September 03

Posted 13 April 2012 - 10:08 AM

We're going to need updated rankings on giants and midgets. The last bunch are pretty stale. Andre, G Fred Gwynne, G Herve Villechaize, M Bridget Powers, M

#43 meyerj31

meyerj31

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1,786 posts
  • Joined 03-November 11

Posted 13 April 2012 - 10:09 AM

The guy on the Globetroters probably makes more money playing with them than what an NFL team would be willing to pay a guy that may block 2-3 FGs a year (that may have missed anyway). I'm pretty sure Dwight will stay with the NBA. :P

No way. The league minimum is several hundred thousand dollars. Globetrotters don't make anything.

#44 CalBear

CalBear

Footballguy

• FBG Apps Beta Tester
  • Pip
  • 9,043 posts
  • Joined 06-July 04

Posted 13 April 2012 - 10:11 AM

did you even read the part about him really just being in to block/disrupt kicks.....

"We traded a first-round draft choice for a 28-year-old flyswatter who could score only 1.9 points a game. Hell, my grandmother could score two points a game, as long as she wasn't double-teamed." --Sir Charles on Manute Bol

#45 ConnSKINS26

ConnSKINS26

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7,799 posts
  • Joined 27-January 11
  • Interests:Things. Lots of things.

Posted 13 April 2012 - 10:25 AM

another thing that woudl be awesome would be if they had a sumo wrestler in pads and lined him up as a slot receiver and then no one one even cover him because the other d would all act like what is this a joke not really my friends because once he got the ball it would take about 3 dbs to pull him down and he would be surprisingly fast and agile for his size due to his samuri training and although he would not do it unless he was on the saints he could chop a guys head off if he needed to with his katana sword and then the rest of the team would probably admire his dedication to his craft and undertake a samuri way of life by the sword and instantly that team would be catapulted into contention for the nfl title LOmbardi trophy to remember to study the ancient samuri arts and take it to the dojo brohans

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

When your opinion matters, I'll inform you.

Hahaha, read my posts bro.  I'm one of the smarter Fantasy Player on these boards.

I have a very high success rate in bed.

#46 PatsFanCT

PatsFanCT

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4,729 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 13 April 2012 - 11:43 AM

Did you read the part about him not having any athletic ability?

#47 Stinkin Ref

Stinkin Ref

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6,982 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 13 April 2012 - 12:05 PM

he would be able to take one step, raise arms in air, and jump.....not being asked to do anything else..

#48 FunkyPlutos

FunkyPlutos

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5,060 posts
  • Joined 31-May 03

Posted 13 April 2012 - 12:14 PM

I haven't seen the guy play, but I'm guessing he doesn't have much of a vertical leap...wouldn't a 6'4" WR be able to jump to a level higher than this guy??

#49 Crazy Tony

Crazy Tony

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 545 posts
  • Joined 19-August 09

Posted 13 April 2012 - 12:26 PM

7'8 player for endzone Target. WON"T WORK. Jump Balls...all about work, desire and technique. I could always out rebound taller players than me because I'd get position and work by butt off. The tallest player rarely wins the dunk contest. You need body control and leaping ability and have to be good at technique, position and timing. How does Steve Smith catch the ball so often? He attacks the ball high. I bet Gronkowski or Hernandez could go in and guard the guy in Goal Line sets. The guy is decently athletic for 7'8 but he's not NFL fast. How long would you have to pass protect before he could run his FADE route or get 5yds down the field? I'd rather put an athletic 6'10 guy in there like a Shawn Kemp (younger version not cocaine Kemp). I believe there's one in the draft if he declared.

10 TEAM DYNASTY PPR League
Start 2QB 3WR 2RB 1TE 1W/T 2W/R 1K 1TDEF 25 total roster spots
TDs = 5pt Pass, 6pt Rush/Rec/KR/PR/Def
PAS= 25yds = 1pt 300yd 5pt, 400yd 5pt
RSH= 10yds = 1pt 100yd 5pt, 150yd 5pt
REC= 15yds = 1pt 100yd 5pt, 150yd 5pt
RET = 15yds = 1pt 100yd 3pt, 150yd 2pt, 200yd 

QB Rivers, Bradford, A.Smith, Tannehill, EJ Manuel,
WR: P.Harvin, Steve Johnson, K.Allen, DJackson, E.Decker, G.Little, VBrown, CGivens, CShorts,
RB:  TRichardson, MForte, D.Murray, VBallard, BryBrown,  DMcCluster,
TE: AGates, M Bennett, Housler, Sudfeld 
K
DEF:San Francisco

#50 MikeApf

MikeApf

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1,248 posts
  • Joined 30-August 03

Posted 13 April 2012 - 12:51 PM

:goodposting: Gabby Johnson is right!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users