Photo

6 year old boy sucked into wood-chipper.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
33 replies to this topic

#1 Da Guru

Da Guru

Fair & Balanced

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29,123 posts
  • Joined 28-June 03

Posted 11 April 2012 - 06:32 AM

This has to be one of the worst things I have read in some time. The father owns a tree trimming business and took his 6 year old son to work with him. While the kid was throwing a branch into the chipper it sucked him in. http://abcnews.go.co...hipper-16108262

Edited by Da Guru, 11 April 2012 - 07:12 AM.

#2 dutch

dutch

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1,136 posts
  • Joined 03-August 05

Posted 11 April 2012 - 06:35 AM

jesus christ! That is so awful. My god, how do you get over that if you're the dad???

Edited by dutch, 11 April 2012 - 06:35 AM.

#3 Parrothead

Parrothead

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13,307 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 11 April 2012 - 06:35 AM

oof :( :eek:
In memory of Shining Path.. RIP...

#4 Ray Karpis

Ray Karpis

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1,609 posts
  • Joined 29-June 09

Posted 11 April 2012 - 06:36 AM

Thanks, posty. ETA: As the father of 7 and 5-year-old sons, NO WAY I'm clicking on that story.

Edited by Ray Karpis, 11 April 2012 - 06:37 AM.

Tracking orange and blue dots since 2011.

#5 stbugs

stbugs

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9,242 posts
  • Joined 08-December 04

Posted 11 April 2012 - 06:46 AM

jesus christ! That is so awful. My god, how do you get over that if you're the dad???

I don't think I could. Just awful for the entire family. That said, why would you let a 6 year old anywhere near something like that? I think I got a little bit too much over-protectiveness from my mom. Not a helicopter parent, but no way would I let any of my kids near something that powerful that if they get caught on something they have no way of getting free. A grown man has enough power to maybe just lose a hand, which is bad enough, but a 6 year old has no chance to even survive.

#6 wadegarrett

wadegarrett

FFA Legend™

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17,599 posts
  • Joined 15-April 03

Posted 11 April 2012 - 06:47 AM

Wow. :(

#7 Addai's Adidas

Addai's Adidas

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3,893 posts
  • Joined 18-April 07
  • Location:I wonder how much junk I an cram in here? More, more, more, more, more, more, more, more, more, more, more, more, more, more,

Posted 11 April 2012 - 06:50 AM

I'd like to make a bad joke here, but I have a feeling you guys will get chippy.

#8 Woogie Lee

Woogie Lee

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1,453 posts
  • Joined 25-November 08

Posted 11 April 2012 - 06:50 AM

THANKS POSTY :thumbdown:
<--empty-->

#9 Flying V

Flying V

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10,050 posts
  • Joined 20-June 05

Posted 11 April 2012 - 06:51 AM

I don't think I could. Just awful for the entire family.

That said, why would you let a 6 year old anywhere near something like that? I think I got a little bit too much over-protectiveness from my mom. Not a helicopter parent, but no way would I let any of my kids near something that powerful that if they get caught on something they have no way of getting free. A grown man has enough power to maybe just lose a hand, which is bad enough, but a 6 year old has no chance to even survive.

True. Once it took his arm off, he probably bled out pretty quick.

Actually, I have a hard time imagining a grown man could get away with less than that.

#10 Mr. Pickles

Mr. Pickles

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37,431 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 11 April 2012 - 06:51 AM

Thanks beaux.

#11 Doug B

Doug B

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26,853 posts
  • Joined 16-April 03

Posted 11 April 2012 - 06:52 AM

As the father of 7 and 5-year-old sons, NO WAY I'm clicking on that story.

Ditto :(

#12 Payne

Payne

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6,275 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 11 April 2012 - 06:53 AM

Horrible. However, my kids would be nowhere near a machine like that.
Sometimes the best trades are those not made

#13 HellToupee

HellToupee

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24,897 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 11 April 2012 - 06:58 AM

heard this listening to the radio on my way home last night . Horrific scene

#14 matuski

matuski

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11,030 posts
  • Joined 16-October 05
  • Interests:killing threads

Posted 11 April 2012 - 06:59 AM

Thanks, posty. ETA: As the father of 7 and 5-year-old sons, NO WAY I'm clicking on that story.

seriously.

#15 joffer

joffer

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24,479 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03
  • Interests:i collect spores, molds, and fungus

This has to be one of the worst things I have read in some time. The father owns a tree trimming business and took his 6 year old son to work with him. While the kid was throwing a branch into the chipper it sucked him in.

http://abcnews.go.co...hipper-16108262

why in the blue #### would you start this thread?

#16 HellToupee

HellToupee

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24,897 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Thanks beaux.

I thought beaux was shuke

#17 Dentist

Dentist

***Official FBG Dentist***

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18,721 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03
  • Interests:stox, teeth, money, tennis

Posted 11 April 2012 - 07:00 AM

i don't think you do. so now his son is dead, his wife probably insta-divorces him and never gets over it. his life is now also ruined and I think he'd probably be on suicide watch for a long time. 3+ lives ruined at the drop of a hat... i'd think it'd be almost a given that drug/alcohol abuse is on tap for the surviving family members.

Wait, you're genuninely a dentist?

#18 Brady Marino

Brady Marino

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9,993 posts
  • Joined 14-April 07

Posted 11 April 2012 - 07:02 AM

Why even post this unless you're plotting to ruin everyone's day?

"Molecules change their bonds. Elements combine and change into compounds. That's all of life, right? The constant...the cycle. Solution, dissolution, over and over. Growth, decay. Transformation. It's fascinating, really." Walter White, from script of Episode 1.1 of Breaking Bad

#19 Godsbrother

Godsbrother

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20,795 posts
  • Joined 15-April 03

Posted 11 April 2012 - 07:03 AM

This story is horrible. My vote for "Thanks Posty Of The Year" and we're only 4 months in

#20 HellToupee

HellToupee

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24,897 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 11 April 2012 - 07:05 AM

i don't think you do. so now his son is dead, his wife probably insta-divorces him and never gets over it. his life is now also ruined and I think he'd probably be on suicide watch for a long time. 3+ lives ruined at the drop of a hat... i'd think it'd be almost a given that drug/alcohol abuse is on tap for the surviving family members.

Jesus you're a real debbie downer

#21 Flying V

Flying V

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10,050 posts
  • Joined 20-June 05

Posted 11 April 2012 - 07:05 AM

Always look on the bright side of life Always look on the bright side of life Some things in life are bad, they can really make you mad Other things just make you swear and curse When you're chewing on life's gristle, don't grumble give a whistle This will help things turn out for the best Always look on the bright side of life Always look on the right side of life If life seems jolly rotten, there's something you've forgotten And that's to laugh and smile and dance and sing When you're feeling in the dumps, don't be silly, chumps Just purse your lips and whistle, that's the thing So, always look on the bright side of death Just before you draw your terminal breath Life's a counterfeit and when you look at it Life's a laugh and death's the joke, it's true You see, it's all a show, keep them laughing as you go Just remember the last laugh is on you Always look on the bright side of life And always look on the right side of life Always look on the bright side of life And always look on the right side of life

#22 ArcticEdge

ArcticEdge

Footballguy

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 15,374 posts
  • Joined 12-November 05
  • Interests:Family, poker, hockey, FF, B-Ball, PC games, some other stuff.

Posted 11 April 2012 - 07:06 AM

####
ArcticEdge
One sexy conservative...

#23 zed2283

zed2283

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4,845 posts
  • Joined 05-March 07

Just reading the thread title made me feel :X Horrible awful story.
2007 FBG Dirty Dozen Playoff Contest Champion

Zed, you mother####er!

#24 Usual21

Usual21

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5,552 posts
  • Joined 02-August 05
  • Interests:Giants, Yankees, Knicks. Playing basketball, reading, cooking.

Seriously.

#25 VA703

VA703

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3,773 posts
  • Joined 28-March 12

Posted 11 April 2012 - 07:07 AM

bring your child to work day? thats rough
The man, became suspicious when he noticed a strange odor coming from his wife’s genitals

#26 Dentist

Dentist

***Official FBG Dentist***

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18,721 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03
  • Interests:stox, teeth, money, tennis

Posted 11 April 2012 - 07:08 AM

Jesus you're a real debbie downer

1) not as much as the op 2) you think anything i posted is even remotely inaccurate or unlikely? I'd bet on it.

Wait, you're genuninely a dentist?

#27 Doug B

Doug B

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26,853 posts
  • Joined 16-April 03

Posted 11 April 2012 - 07:09 AM

Speaking as a parent of little ones ... I think it's OK to be reminded to appreciate the relationships you have with your children. That tomorrow is never guaranteed. Also ... heck who knows? Someone reading this thread may have kids in 10 years, and may have thought about bringing their young child to the machine shop. Or to check out the cool-looking printing press. Or something like that. But now, that same person will have a memory of having read this, and will be that much more cognizant that this kind of thing can actually happen.

#28 Doug B

Doug B

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26,853 posts
  • Joined 16-April 03

Posted 11 April 2012 - 07:12 AM

For anyone that's familiar with wood chippers ... how, exactly, does this happen? Why wasn't the branch yanked out of the kid's hand? The only way this seems possible is if the kid climbed up onto the machine to push that branch way down deep, and then got a sleeve caught or something.

#29 Godsbrother

Godsbrother

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20,795 posts
  • Joined 15-April 03

Posted 11 April 2012 - 07:15 AM

For anyone that's familiar with wood chippers ... how, exactly, does this happen? Why wasn't the branch yanked out of the kid's hand? The only way this seems possible is if the kid climbed up onto the machine to push that branch way down deep, and then got a sleeve caught or something.

My guess is that the wood chipper has a pretty strong pull and just pulled the kid in before he could he even let go of the branch. It only takes seconds...

#30 Da Guru

Da Guru

Fair & Balanced

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29,123 posts
  • Joined 28-June 03

Speaking as a parent of little ones ... I think it's OK to be reminded to appreciate the relationships you have with your children. That tomorrow is never guaranteed. Also ... heck who knows? Someone reading this thread may have kids in 10 years, and may have thought about bringing their young child to the machine shop. Or to check out the cool-looking printing press. Or something like that. But now, that same person will have a memory of having read this, and will be that much more cognizant that this kind of thing can actually happen.

Exactly..As a parent myself this horrified me. This is all over the national news. Hopefully it may save a child in the future. There should never be any children around chippers, chain saws, or any heavy operating machinery. They are very dangerous for trained adults let alone young kids.

Edited by Da Guru, 11 April 2012 - 07:15 AM.

#31 Wildcat

Wildcat

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1,731 posts
  • Joined 20-April 03

Thanks for ruining my day! [tommy boy]Could've done without that![/tommy boy]

#32 Carolina Hustler

Carolina Hustler

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8,483 posts
  • Joined 23-February 09

Posted 11 April 2012 - 07:17 AM

I can't even imagine... Wish I wouldn't have logged in to even read the thread title.. I'm going to be thinking about this all day today.. :mortified:
April Fools by Denver Examiner:

In Buffalo, newly signed wide receiver Terrell Owens was seen getting into an altercation with Bills quarterback Trent Edwards during a charity Ultimate Frisbee tournament. Onlookers overheard Owens could yelling "Throw me the [expletive] frisbee! I'm open!" while getting really close to Edwards. Owens was later seen throwing popcorn in Edwards' face before storming out of the facility where the event was being held. Edwards and Owens could not be reached for comment.

#33 Doug B

Doug B

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26,853 posts
  • Joined 16-April 03

Posted 11 April 2012 - 07:17 AM

My guess is that the wood chipper has a pretty strong pull and just pulled the kid in before he could he even let go of the branch. It only takes seconds...

But the wood chipper's strong pull should easily overcome a 6-year-old's grip strength, no? Shouldn't be a matter of "it all happens so fast". EDIT: It's occuring to me that a small child is not tall enough to feed a wood chipper the way an adult would. The kid had to be basically reaching inside the machine.

Edited by Doug B, 11 April 2012 - 07:19 AM.

#34 Woogie Lee

Woogie Lee

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1,453 posts
  • Joined 25-November 08

Posted 11 April 2012 - 07:18 AM

Exactly..As a parent myself this horrified me. This is all over the national news. Hopefully it may save a child in the future. There should never be any children around chippers, chain saws, or any heavy operating machinery. They are very dangerous for trained adults let alone young kids.

OK.
<--empty-->

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users