Photo

Would you rather have 1.04+1.06 or Ry.Mathews?

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 frogjumper

frogjumper

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 94 posts
  • Joined 11-June 09

Posted 13 April 2012 - 05:31 PM

I was offered Ryan Mathews for 1.04 and 1.06..... wondering what you guys thought?

#2 nickdib

nickdib

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 188 posts
  • Joined 25-February 12

Posted 13 April 2012 - 05:32 PM

I would rather have Mathews. He just looks like an upcoming stud
10 team non-PPR 4 pt passing tds

QB: Aaron Rodgers, Andy Dalton
RB:Beanie Wells, Michael Bush, Kendall Hunter, James Starks
WR: AJ Green, Torrey Smith, Laurent Robinson, Denarius Moore, Titus Young, Vincent Brown
TE: Rob Gronkowski, Aaron Hernandez, Kyle Rudolph, Kellen Winslow
K: Rackers
DEF: 49ers, Eagles

Rookie picks: 1, 6, 9, 11, 14, 20, 24 30

#3 golfguy

golfguy

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2,955 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03
  • Interests:golf<br />fantasy football<br />bowling<br />stocks

Posted 13 April 2012 - 05:36 PM

I would rather have Mathews. He just looks like an upcoming stud

:goodposting: agree here. basically, trent is gone rg3, blackmon is gone. so you are looking at luck and the 2nd/3rd rb off the board or floyd

Reservoir Dogs Dynasty League 2009,2010, 2011 and 2012 champion. 4-peat!

start 2 qbs,2 rbs, 3wrs, 1 te, 2 flex (rb/wr/te), 3 dl, 4 lbs, 4dbs

QBs: Brees,glennon, Palmer, Rodgers

RBs: Charles,   Moreno
,Peterson, Richardson,, Sproles JStew, woodhead

WRs:  Dez Bryant,Cobb, Crabtree, Calvin Johnson, v. brown, Givens, P.Harvin, Andre johnson, cooper, hartline, wheaton, hunter

TEs: Allen, Graham, J., Celek,

DL:,Long, Ngata, sheard, Suggs

LB:  Dansby, Fletcher, D. Johnson , , Posluszny, Trevathan, Sean Witherspoon, P. Willis

DBs: burnett, Cyprien, L. Landry, matheiu, mitchell, w.moore,

#4 Nero

Nero

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 501 posts
  • Joined 10-September 09

Posted 13 April 2012 - 05:42 PM

I think Mathews is a solid RB1 with a chance to be elite in the short term. If I had a playoff caliber team, I'd take Mathews. If I had a rebuild, I'd keep the picks and take my chances in the draft.

#5 BigSteelThrill

BigSteelThrill

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15,254 posts
  • Joined 29-June 06

Posted 13 April 2012 - 05:48 PM

That's a pretty fair trade. Have to imagine that I would take Luck/RG3 + Martin and be pretty happy with it. I would want Ryan right now, but if I kept doing trades like this for a dynasty team and taking the Luck+Martin type of options I would be a juggernaut over time.

(Elizabeth Warren) "Paul Ryan says don't blame Wall Street: the guys who made billions of dollars cheating American families; don't blame decades of deregulation that took the cops off the beat while the big banks looted the American economy. Don't blame the Republican Secretary of the Treasury, and the Republican president who set in motion a no-strings-attached bailout for the biggest banks. Nope. Paul Ryan says keep the monies flowing to the powerful corporations, keep their huge tax breaks, keep the special deals for the too-big-to-fail banks and put the blame on hardworking, play-by-the-rules Americans who lost their jobs."

A conservative is a man with two perfectly good legs who, however, has never learned to walk forward.

~Franklin D Roosevelt~

#6 wjtait

wjtait

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 235 posts
  • Joined 06-April 11

Posted 13 April 2012 - 06:41 PM

Yeah it just depends on if you are in "win now" mode or want the draft picks to rebuild. As a Mathews owner, I would keep him bc I think he has everything going for him to have a great year if he can stay healthy.

12 Team Dynasty PPR/IDP League 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1Flex, 1TE; 1DL, 2LB's, 1DB, 1Flex
QB: D.Brees, B. Hoyer
RB: J. Charles, A. Morris, M. Ball, S.Vereen, Andre.Brown, A. ellington,  M. Ingram, D. Thomas, R. Hillman,  
WR: Julio Jones, Dez Bryant, M.Wallace Wes Welker, Jarrett Boykin, Kenny Britt, Stephen Hill, Justin Hunter
TE: Gronk, Jared Cook, Z. Ertz, Z. Miller
LB: D. Washington, Sean Lee, Donald Butler, Curtis Lofton,  P. Wheeler,
DL: Robert Quinn, G. Hardy, R. Ninkovich
DB: A. Rolle

#7 lbouchard

lbouchard

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1,835 posts
  • Joined 25-February 12

Posted 13 April 2012 - 06:59 PM

mathews=1.01. would you trade TRich for that?

#8 The Comedian

The Comedian

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1,767 posts
  • Joined 05-September 09

Posted 13 April 2012 - 08:02 PM

I'd want more, but it's a respectable offer.

#9 OrangeCurtain

OrangeCurtain

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 297 posts
  • Joined 10-October 03

Posted 14 April 2012 - 05:21 AM

I was reading this thread and thinking "Wow, I'm not nearly as high on Williams as the folks in this thread". Then I went two threads down and there's a post full of people saying Williams is worth a late 1st/early 2nd, which is the neighborhood I'd put him in. Funny how the opinions can vary like that...

#10 finito

finito

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2,541 posts
  • Joined 22-May 07

Posted 14 April 2012 - 05:50 AM

I was reading this thread and thinking "Wow, I'm not nearly as high on Williams as the folks in this thread". Then I went two threads down and there's a post full of people saying Williams is worth a late 1st/early 2nd, which is the neighborhood I'd put him in. Funny how the opinions can vary like that...

I think you'e thinking of Ryan Williams instead of Ryan Matthews.

#11 football fan

football fan

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1,136 posts
  • Joined 29-May 04

Posted 14 April 2012 - 08:04 AM

That's a pretty fair trade.

Have to imagine that I would take Luck/RG3 + Martin and be very happy with it.

I would want Ryan right now, but if I kept doing trades like this for a dynasty team and taking the Luck+Martin type of options I would be a juggernaut over time.

:goodposting: Fixed

Even if I ended up with Blackmon/Floyd plus Martin, I wouldn't complain.

#12 voiceofunreason

voiceofunreason

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 698 posts
  • Joined 06-February 12

Posted 14 April 2012 - 09:18 AM

I would want Ryan right now, but if I kept doing trades like this for a dynasty team and taking the Luck+Martin type of options I would be a juggernaut over time.

Good chance one of the 2 is a bust and the other isn't as good as Mathews. But if you really don't like Mathews and that's the best you can get, I could see it.

#13 djmich

djmich

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1,740 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 14 April 2012 - 11:10 AM

mathews=1.01. would you trade TRich for that?

i wouldnt trade richardson for matthews

#14 football fan

football fan

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1,136 posts
  • Joined 29-May 04

Posted 14 April 2012 - 11:17 AM

Good chance one of the 2 is a bust and the other isn't as good as Mathews. But if you really don't like Mathews and that's the best you can get, I could see it.

???????????? Could I please see your magic future telling crystal ball? If I could predict the future like that I would be a billionaire from the stock market.

#15 Dez

Dez

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1,769 posts
  • Joined 05-November 10

Posted 14 April 2012 - 11:58 AM

I'd want more, but it's a respectable offer.

You would want more than getting Mathews for your 1.04+1.06 ? I think getting Mathews for those picks is as about as cheap as you would land him for right now considering where he is being drafted. Mathews is being drafted in the late 1st/early 2nd of start up drafts and rookie picks 1.04 and 1.06 are being taken in the 4th-6th rounds

2012 NFFC Online Champion ($100,000 winner) (1872 teams)
2012 NFFC Online 4th Place ($10,000 winner) (1872 teams)

2013 FFPC 16th place overall (5808 teams)
Charleston Chimeras 1998 1999 2003 2005 2006 2009 2010 Champions   (Dynasty 1997-2013)
Charlotte Cobras 2010 2012 Champions (Dynasty 2010-2013)
Colorado Vipers 1991 1996 2003 Champions (ReDraft 1990-2013)
Minnesota Muskrats 1995 1998 2000 2001 2006 2007 2009 2013 Champions  (ReDraft 1994-2013)
Blue Dragons  2012 2nd Place ($750 FFPC Dynasty 2012-2013)
Wyverns 2012 2nd Place ($500 FFPC Dynasty 2012-2013)
Gryphons 2013 Champion 2012 2nd Place ($750 FFP Dynasty 2011-2013)
Dragons ($750 FFPC Dynasty 2010-2013)
Vesper Lynds (16 team Dynasty 2012-2013)

#16 Tony Soprano

Tony Soprano

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 122 posts
  • Joined 01-May 11

Posted 14 April 2012 - 01:15 PM

It depends on my team needs... if I am in full-on rebuilding mode, I would want the picks. But without consideration to any team needs, I would easily take the Mathews side.

#17 finito

finito

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2,541 posts
  • Joined 22-May 07

Posted 14 April 2012 - 03:24 PM

???????????? Could I please see your magic future telling crystal ball? If I could predict the future like that I would be a billionaire from the stock market.

Not sure I understand your point. Take a look at the stats -- many 1st round picks bust. Montaro Hardesty, Mikel LeShoure were both going around 1.05 in drafts... do you think either will become a "stud?" It's not predicting the future as much as accepting that any rookie pick, even a first rounder, carries a certain amount of risk. Odds are some 1st rounders will bust, although I do like this draft class more than most.

#18 ghostguy123

ghostguy123

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5,967 posts
  • Joined 12-May 11

Posted 14 April 2012 - 05:40 PM

if I was offered picks 2 and 3 I would have to think about it. 4,6, no way

(Ongoing worst dynasty trades)

FFPC dynasty league (9/19/13)

Dez Bryant

2014 2nd

for

Roddy White

James Jones

Deangelo Williams

#19 One More Rep

One More Rep

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1,149 posts
  • Joined 15-July 08

Posted 14 April 2012 - 06:37 PM

Keep Mathews

#20 voiceofunreason

voiceofunreason

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 698 posts
  • Joined 06-February 12

Posted 14 April 2012 - 09:34 PM

Common sense from past drafts. A lot of players are busts and very, very few are studs. So it's playing the odds and being realistic. Relax bud.

#21 ghostguy123

ghostguy123

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5,967 posts
  • Joined 12-May 11

Posted 14 April 2012 - 11:57 PM

Common sense from past drafts. A lot of players are busts and very, very few are studs. So it's playing the odds and being realistic. Relax bud.

I dont know what is crazier, him thinking 4/6 is a good return for Matthews, or that he thinks its possible to land Blackmon and Floyd at 4/6, haha

(Ongoing worst dynasty trades)

FFPC dynasty league (9/19/13)

Dez Bryant

2014 2nd

for

Roddy White

James Jones

Deangelo Williams

#22 todisco1

todisco1

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1,996 posts
  • Joined 20-March 08

Posted 15 April 2012 - 06:48 AM

I would think about that. The 1.04 could be Doug Martin, who I really dig, and the 1.06 could be one of Luck/RGIII. If I needed a QB badly I may do it.

#23 football fan

football fan

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1,136 posts
  • Joined 29-May 04

Posted 15 April 2012 - 08:56 AM

I dont know what is crazier, him thinking 4/6 is a good return for Matthews, or that he thinks its possible to land Blackmon and Floyd at 4/6, haha

I post for two reasons, 1) hopefully to help the guy who made the OP, and 2) to have my posts to be critiqued (good or bad). I have a list of posters that I respect, and I highly value their critique of my opinions because they have provided insights/opinions that have helped me become better at playing fantasy football.

I am more concerned about the logic behind a critique/insight/option, than the response itself.

Just for the record, I do know that any rookie can bust, but the other poster response was projecting which rookie may bust, anyone can speculate on subjective issues, so where is the logic there?

Also, my other post was misinterpreted, I was saying a choice of Blackmon or Floyd with the fourth pick plus Martin with the sixth pick. I would gladly take that combination in trade for Ryan Matthews, as long as I am not a strong contender for the league title.

Since this discussion has degenerated into something not fruitful, I am not wasting my time here. Real life is too busy to deal with misinterpretations and vague responses that criticize others.

#24 doowain

doowain

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3,115 posts
  • Joined 19-October 06

Posted 16 April 2012 - 05:43 AM

Mathews easily.

#25 Dave Stauff

Dave Stauff

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1,040 posts
  • Joined 20-April 03

Posted 17 April 2012 - 11:03 AM

To me, this one is close enough that it becomes a function of my current roster. I really like the idea of taking two of Richardson, Martin, RGIII, Luck, Blackmon, Floyd - but without knowing your other RB's (and how dependent you would be on Martin falling to 1.4), it's tough to say. I would sit on this and think for a while though . . .
MOX HP - FFL6: 0-0
MOX Super Flex 2: 0-0
MOX Super Flex 4: 0-0
PDFFL: 0-0
Ashes of 27: 0-0
Fantasy Champs: 0-0

#26 moderated

moderated

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5,721 posts
  • Joined 09-July 04

Posted 17 April 2012 - 06:36 PM

Mathews by a lot.
The Nostradamus of FF.

#27 golfguy

golfguy

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2,955 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03
  • Interests:golf<br />fantasy football<br />bowling<br />stocks

Posted 17 April 2012 - 08:20 PM

in an IDP dynasty league, mathews just went for the 1.2, a 2013 1st rounder (probably around 1.6-1.8) and curtis lofton. if you need a complete rebuild 1.4/1.6 if you can compete this year then mathews

Reservoir Dogs Dynasty League 2009,2010, 2011 and 2012 champion. 4-peat!

start 2 qbs,2 rbs, 3wrs, 1 te, 2 flex (rb/wr/te), 3 dl, 4 lbs, 4dbs

QBs: Brees,glennon, Palmer, Rodgers

RBs: Charles,   Moreno
,Peterson, Richardson,, Sproles JStew, woodhead

WRs:  Dez Bryant,Cobb, Crabtree, Calvin Johnson, v. brown, Givens, P.Harvin, Andre johnson, cooper, hartline, wheaton, hunter

TEs: Allen, Graham, J., Celek,

DL:,Long, Ngata, sheard, Suggs

LB:  Dansby, Fletcher, D. Johnson , , Posluszny, Trevathan, Sean Witherspoon, P. Willis

DBs: burnett, Cyprien, L. Landry, matheiu, mitchell, w.moore,

#28 sspunisher

sspunisher

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 890 posts
  • Joined 25-July 09

Posted 18 April 2012 - 01:43 PM

This is an easy trade if you are in desperate need for a QB and think that Luck might fall to you at #4. I'd be a bit more hesitant about RGIII but that's an option as well if you need a QB, since these two look pretty special. Just depends on your QB situation and the league rosters. If you don't need a QB, I'd only pull this trade off if I could get Blackmon or Floyd at 4. That won't happen in most leagues, but if TRich and the 2 QBs go 1,2,3 (maybe it's a 2 QB league?) then it'd be worth it IMO. You'd get very solid players at 4 and 6.

#29 voiceofunreason

voiceofunreason

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 698 posts
  • Joined 06-February 12

Posted 19 April 2012 - 09:52 AM

I post for two reasons, 1) hopefully to help the guy who made the OP, and 2) to have my posts to be critiqued (good or bad). I have a list of posters that I respect, and I highly value their critique of my opinions because they have provided insights/opinions that have helped me become better at playing fantasy football.

I am more concerned about the logic behind a critique/insight/option, than the response itself.

Just for the record, I do know that any rookie can bust, but the other poster response was projecting which rookie may bust, anyone can speculate on subjective issues, so where is the logic there?

Also, my other post was misinterpreted, I was saying a choice of Blackmon or Floyd with the fourth pick plus Martin with the sixth pick. I would gladly take that combination in trade for Ryan Matthews, as long as I am not a strong contender for the league title.

Since this discussion has degenerated into something not fruitful, I am not wasting my time here. Real life is too busy to deal with misinterpretations and vague responses that criticize others.

Garbage. It was said that the guy will pick up 2 and both will be good players. This isn't remotely true. A lot of people fall in love with rookie picks, especially this time of year. I don't want to link to an external site but I've seen an analysis of the last 7 years of picks. Getting a stud player is very rare and out of 2 picks, yes, basically one will be a bust on average. You either need both guys to be quite good or 1 of them to be a real stud and a better player than Mathews. Anyone saying that you get 2 picks and are guaranteed 2 very high quality players is kidding themself and it's bad advice.

I see no logic to anything you've said and you've kind of thrown a hissy fit for no reason at all.

Edited by voiceofunreason, 19 April 2012 - 10:06 AM.

#30 voiceofunreason

voiceofunreason

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 698 posts
  • Joined 06-February 12

Posted 19 April 2012 - 10:04 AM

1st rounders over 7 years of dynasty rookie drafts Stud-19% Good-37% Bust-44% The bust percentage is over 50% outside the top 3 picks - 4th and 5th are both 57%.

#31 johnadams

johnadams

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1,262 posts
  • Joined 03-August 10

Posted 19 April 2012 - 10:20 AM

One in hand is worth two in the bush, or so I hear. At this point, I'd much rather have Mathews, but that's cause the NFL draft hasn't happened, making it that much harder to really know the value of those picks. Last year, before the NFL draft, both Williams and LeShoure were getting enough PR that people were talking about one or both being ahead of Ingram depending on the landing spot. After the draft, Williams and LeShoure were both dropped below Thomas on a lot of boards because of their pretty lame landing spots. (Of course, injuries derailed both by the time the season started, but I'm thinking to what happened immediately following the NFL draft). Plus, I think Mathews is in for a great season. Maybe he finds elite, but at worst (barring injury), a legit RB1.

#32 sspunisher

sspunisher

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 890 posts
  • Joined 25-July 09

Posted 19 April 2012 - 10:26 AM

Don't trade for picks unless you're confident in your fantasy scouting (player scouting, situation scouting, etc). And I stress that it has to be your scouting, because we often fall in the trap of making statements like "well he's a top 3 pick in every mock draft so you have to take him in the top three." A lot of people on these boards follow the herd. The most knowledgeable guys on these boards are the ones who form their own opinions. I got some heat on here last year when I mentioned that I passed on Mark Ingram to draft Greg Little. Doesn't matter if I was right or wrong, jury is still out, but If you're not comfortable making decisions like that then you should hold onto your studs.

Edited by sspunisher, 19 April 2012 - 10:30 AM.

#33 JOBOOZOSO

JOBOOZOSO

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 748 posts
  • Joined 03-July 07
  • Interests:FantasyLeagueGM.com is the ultimate free resource for Player News & Fantasy Articles/Advice.

https://twitter.com/JOBOOZOSO

Posted 19 April 2012 - 08:24 PM

Impossible to tell right now. All depends on where David Wilson, Doug Martin, LaMichael James, and Lamar Miller end up... and if GB drafts a guy like Isaiah Pead. I hold Mathews until after NFL draft. Better to be safe than sorry.

Free Fantasy Football and Baseball Aggregator for Player News, Articles, Strategies, Advice, Sleepers, Rankings, Prospects, and Twitter

Follow the fantasy action at http://www.FantasyLeagueGM.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users