What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

NFL Evolving Toward Eliminating Kickoffs... (1 Viewer)

uconnalum

Footballguy
They need to get off this player safety bandwagon because studies have shown the collisions that take place on the line of scrimmage between OL and DL cause more damage later in life than the simple kick off. The NFL Rules and Competition Committee is killing the game. I understand this may not happen in the next year or two but I'm sure it may happen 5 years down the line. What else bothers me about this is everybody who plays the game of Football knows the risks involved and is a consenting adult and signs a contract knowing they are playing a game that may cause harm in the present and future.

NFL moving towards eliminating kickoffs

The NFL’s decision last year to move kickoffs from the 30-yard line to the 35 may have been the first step toward moving kickoffs out of football completely.

That’s the word from Giants owner John Mara, a Competition Committee member who says the conversations have already started about potentially taking the play that has started every football game in history out of the league for good.

“We had a lot of discussions about whether we should eliminate it and if we did what we could do in its place,” Mara told Giants.com. “There’s no consensus on it right now, but I could see the day in the future where that play could be taken out of the game. You see it evolving toward that.”

Mara says the Competition Committee’s top priority is player safety, and that the increase in touchbacks last year coincided with a decrease in concussions. In the eyes of the league office and NFL owners, that proves that moving the kickoff was the right idea.

What’s unclear is what would take the place of the kickoff if it ceased to exist. Mara says the NFL won’t eliminate the kickoff until it has the right plan for how to get rid of it, but he seems to think the kickoff is just a fundamentally unsafe play.

“Nobody would go that far now, but we talk about different blocks that we can outlaw,” Mara said. “The problem is that the concussions come from everywhere, from the wedge, from the crossing blocks where a guy goes from one side of the field to another, from a full speed collision between a return guy and a tackler. So there’s no one thing that you can do. It’s something that we’ll continue to watch as closely as possible.”

If the NFL were to eliminate the kickoff, it would likely adopt a rule that after every touchdown or field goal the other team gets the ball at the 20-yard line, and that each half starts with one team getting the ball at the 20 as well. A bigger question is whether onside kicks would continue to exist: Late-game strategy would change significantly if the onside kick was no longer an option.

But make no mistake: The NFL is serious enough about cutting down on injuries on kickoffs that last year’s rules change won’t be the last one.

“There was no support for moving the kickoff back to the 30 yard-line,” Mara said.

And some day, there may be no support for having kickoffs at all.

Blind bid for the ball. Team that submits the worst starting field position wins. If they pick the same field position, do a coin flip for possession at that spot.

They need to get off this player safety bandwagon because studies have shown the collisions that take place on the line of scrimmage between OL and DL cause more damage later in life than the simple kick off. The NFL Rules and Competition Committee is killing the game. I understand this may not happen in the next year or two but I'm sure it may happen 5 years down the line. What else bothers me about this is everybody who plays the game of Football knows the risks involved and is a consenting adult and signs a contract knowing they are playing a game that may cause harm in the present and future.

NFL moving towards eliminating kickoffs
Don't worry. OL and DL will be gone soon enough.

It is unreal the steps the NFL is willing to take. Return men can put you in scoring position instantly with a great return. We still had some great returns last year. If this rule ever gets passed an on-side kick could never again be executed in the Super Bowl like the Saints did.

It is unreal the steps the NFL is willing to take. Return men can put you in scoring position instantly with a great return. We still had some great returns last year. If this rule ever gets passed an on-side kick could never again be executed in the Super Bowl like the Saints did.
The NFL is the most constantly evolving league in all of sports. They make significant rules changes relatively frequent for a major sport. In 20 years, few will care what the NFL looked like in 2011. People thought the 2-point conversion and instant replay would ruin the game. Before that it was moving the goal posts to the back of the end zones and not allowing contact down the field that would ruin the game. Before that it was free substitution. Before that it was the forward pass. Before that it was making TDs worth 7 points.I think the NFL will be okay.

last year:

“That’s what they told us,” Belichick said. “I’m not speaking for anyone else. That’s what they told us, that they want to eliminate the play.”

The league disagrees.

“[Chairman of the Competition Committee] Rich McKay and [NFL Vice President] Ray Anderson say that’s not accurate,” NFL spokesman Greg Aiello told Curran via e-mail. “They said the Competition Committee’s position was that they wanted to ‘shorten the field’ and that the movement of the kickoff line would potentially reduce the number of kickoffs to be returned. They said they are unaware of anyone saying that it was intended to ‘eliminate’ the kickoff return.”

this year:

That’s the word from Giants owner John Mara, a Competition Committee member who says the conversations have already started about potentially taking the play that has started every football game in history out of the league for good.

“We had a lot of discussions about whether we should eliminate it and if we did what we could do in its place,” Mara told Giants.com. “There’s no consensus on it right now, but I could see the day in the future where that play could be taken out of the game. You see it evolving toward that.”

'Jous said:
I would only miss on-side kicks.
How can they possibly get rid of kick offs completely???Onside kicks are a key, unremmovable (is that a word?) part of the game. You can't take that out.
yeah, that may be the crappiest part about the whole thing --- imagine if you're down with no possible chance to score again.kind of takes some drama out of the game.are there really that many injuries?

I never thought the wedge was so bad.

Guys getting destroyed while waiting for a fair catch was a serious issue and did need to be addressed. I haven't agreed with much about special teams changes ever since.

'Jous said:
How can they possibly get rid of kick offs completely???Onside kicks are a key, unremmovable (is that a word?) part of the game. You can't take that out.
yeah, that may be the crappiest part about the whole thing --- imagine if you're down with no possible chance to score again.kind of takes some drama out of the game.are there really that many injuries?
They could obviously keep the onside kick in this scenario. Alternatively, they could make it something like.... after you score a TD, you can elect to have the ball on your own 20 facing 4th and 15. Same likelihood.

'Chase Stuart said:
'uconnalum said:
The NFL is the most constantly evolving league in all of sports. They make significant rules changes relatively frequent for a major sport. In 20 years, few will care what the NFL looked like in 2011. People thought the 2-point conversion and instant replay would ruin the game. Before that it was moving the goal posts to the back of the end zones and not allowing contact down the field that would ruin the game. Before that it was free substitution. Before that it was the forward pass. Before that it was making TDs worth 7 points.I think the NFL will be okay.
great :goodposting:

'Jous said:
They could obviously keep the onside kick in this scenario. Alternatively, they could make it something like.... after you score a TD, you can elect to have the ball on your own 20 facing 4th and 15. Same likelihood.
Greg Schiano plan.http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/andy_staples/06/07/abolishing-kickoffs/index.html

'Jous said:
yeah, that may be the crappiest part about the whole thing --- imagine if you're down with no possible chance to score again.kind of takes some drama out of the game.

are there really that many injuries?
Greg Schiano plan.http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/andy_staples/06/07/abolishing-kickoffs/index.html

Then think hard about his alternative. Teams can punt from the 30-yard line to open halves and after scoring, or, if they want to maintain possession, they could opt to run a fourth-and-15 play from the 30.
This is great until they want to eliminate punts because they're too dangerous. Then they'll come up with a rule that you can still punt but cannot have a return man. Instead the first team to lightly pick up the ball and gently place it in a basket and politely carry it to the nearest official will be awarded the ball.Expect the kickoff/punt returner to be eliminated but the basket weaver will emerge as a critical special teams player.

'Jous said:
Interesting. :thumbup:

Blind bid for the ball. Team that submits the worst starting field position wins. If they pick the same field position, do a coin flip for possession at that spot.
I've always liked this particular plan because of all the difficult decisions it forces teams to make. It's always interesting to watch them agonize and get second guessed.

'Chase Stuart said:
'uconnalum said:
No. At some point football is no longer football. There is at the core of the game's genetic DNA taking a spherical object and kicking it forward - rugby, soccer, Australian Rules, you name it, that's the key. It's probably tens of thousands of years old when you get right down to it. There is also something inherently American about our version. You change the game this far 1. you change to another game (you are no longer playing football) and 2. you change "us".So, no.

'Chase Stuart said:
'uconnalum said:
No. At some point football is no longer football. There is at the core of the game's genetic DNA taking a spherical object and kicking it forward - rugby, soccer, Australian Rules, you name it, that's the key. It's probably tens of thousands of years old when you get right down to it. There is also something inherently American about our version. You change the game this far 1. you change to another game (you are no longer playing football) and 2. you change "us".So, no.
People said the same thing when they no longer allowed NightTrain necktie tackles. "At some point, football stops being about being more physical than your opponent. You change the game."

You could still have kick-offs without returners. Simply have your kicker go out there, tee up at your own goal line (or 10 yard line or wherever) and nail it deep. Where ever the ball stops moving, or where ever it goes out of bounds, is where the opponent gets the ball. Touchback rule is the same as always.

For onside kicks: the play from scrimmage is not a bad suggestion, except I'd make the distance needed a lot longer -- maybe 20 or 30 yards.

Another way to do onside kicks is to give the opposing placekicker an uncontested FG try from 75 yards. Perhaps allow use of a tee. If he converts, offense gains possession.from their own 20.

This is like removing the face-off from the NHL.

Corner kicks from soccer.

They're integral parts of the game.

The NFL is bordering on complete and utter idiocy these days.

Seriously? Between TD--extra point--commercial--kickoff--commercial--1st play, you have about six minutes of dead time. I think a lot of people miss kickoffs, anyway. They're exciting at times, for sure, but 90% of the time they're pretty meaningless.

'Chase Stuart said:
'uconnalum said:
People said the same thing when they no longer allowed NightTrain necktie tackles. "At some point, football stops being about being more physical than your opponent. You change the game."
Ok, right, everything is a question of degrees and percentages. So how far along are we on the scale now from the elimination of necktie tackles to the elimination of the headslap to the elimination of the clothesline tackle to the elimination of the horsecollar tackle to the elimination of so much as touching the Quarterback (but not other players, why?) on the head or the ankles? However the NightTrain example is not quite the same because they did not eliminate tackles altogether. What would the game be without tackles altogether? The creation of the 2-point conversion did not eliminate the conversion altogether. The opposite is what is going on with the kickoff, it is the elimination of a whole class or classification of an element of the game, not a mere modification of it.The game is made of - and has always been made of (except for the addition of passing around the turn of the 20th century) - rushing, passing, tackling, kicking and punting.There is no difference between kickoffs and punts in terms of danger from concussions. In fact there is no difference between tackling and kicks and punts - they all carry a risk of concussion. Kyle Williams got pummeled by the Seahawks and Giants on punts. Pierre Thomas got pummeled and concussed by the 9ers on a *legal* tackle. The most damaging hit by any player ever happened on a pass play (Stingley), but nothing has changed there (what would be the penalty for Tatum today?).

Last edited by a moderator:
'Chase Stuart said:
'uconnalum said:
That's true but you can still be more physical than your opponent without the neck tackle. You can be more physical without paying players for injuries too. You can just go out and play hard nose football. But when a guy goes to tackle, leads with his shoulder (which is pretty much connected to your head) and clobbers a guy cleanly and he gets fined 50,000, that is a problem. There has to be a limit to what you take out of this game. In hockey you can add padding or remove hits to the head, but you can't take out checking or its not hockey. There has to be a limit to how far this gets taken. Kickoffs and special teams are a third of the game. Bottom line

Seriously? Between TD--extra point--commercial--kickoff--commercial--1st play, you have about six minutes of dead time. I think a lot of people miss kickoffs, anyway. They're exciting at times, for sure, but 90% of the time they're pretty meaningless.
90% meaningless, just like corner kicks and face-offs.10% change the whole complexion of the game, make for a lifetime of memories, or just leave you in awe.

I'll keep the 10%.

90% meaningless, just like corner kicks and face-offs.10% change the whole complexion of the game, make for a lifetime of memories, or just leave you in awe.

I'll keep the 10%.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPhONc6xC48Can you imagine this not being a part of football? It can change an entire game in a play. How many famous games were decided by a good kickoff return? As a Bills fan we have been on the wrong side of that many times but its football.

I never use this word (because it is way overused in today's political climate) but I think the source of this is greed.

The NFL and the NFLPA need to get together and agree to pay the men who agree to literally put their lives on the line - pay the claimants with ALS, pay the permanently damaged, pay those with dementia - and keep the game the way it is.

The NFL will never, ever absolutely 100% eliminate the risk of the game and I am not sure they can even truly minimize it.

Even on a missed 60-yard FG attempt there could be a return and someone could be concussed or seriously hurt. It can happen on any play at any time, even accidentally (and that happens a fair amount).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPhONc6xC48Can you imagine this not being a part of football? It can change an entire game in a play. How many famous games were decided by a good kickoff return? As a Bills fan we have been on the wrong side of that many times but its football.
No, I can't.The kickoff, punts, the whole shabang, are all vital pieces to the game of football. This is possibly the most ludicrous proposed rule change I have ever heard of in pro sports. :thumbdown:

You're not a Bears fan. Take away kick/punt returns we're a .500 or worse team...

'SaintsInDome2006 said:
The NFL and the NFLPA need to get together and agree to pay the men who agree to literally put their lives on the line - pay the claimants with ALS, pay the permanently damaged, pay those with dementia - and keep the game the way it is.
There is literally no way the NFL can afford to do this. If someone essentially becomes unemployable between ages 40-70, you're talking over a million in lost wages alone if they were nothing more than a fry cook at McDonalds. Let's assume they don't get pain and suffering (although they may very well if they're not dilligently trying to improve game safety like with Bountygate) or health benefits and you're still talking over a billion dollar payout based on just the 1k+ claimants already, and there are surely many more that would jump on that bandwagon. Sure, not all of them lost 30 years, but I also suspect most were capable of pulling in more money than said fry cook and the health care costs would be astronomical. Monetarily, I don't think the NFL owners have the $1-2 billion in cash sitting around that it would take. Plus you'd be damn sure the NFLPA would insist on even higher salaries and/or guarantees of future income should sports-related injuries cause a loss of employability if the owners were to hand out that kind of money.

A league being destroyed because of its own popularity. As I said in another thread, if the NHL were this big you would see more of the same.

'SaintsInDome2006 said:
There is literally no way the NFL can afford to do this. If someone essentially becomes unemployable between ages 40-70, you're talking over a million in lost wages alone if they were nothing more than a fry cook at McDonalds. Let's assume they don't get pain and suffering (although they may very well if they're not dilligently trying to improve game safety like with Bountygate) or health benefits and you're still talking over a billion dollar payout based on just the 1k+ claimants already, and there are surely many more that would jump on that bandwagon. Sure, not all of them lost 30 years, but I also suspect most were capable of pulling in more money than said fry cook and the health care costs would be astronomical. Monetarily, I don't think the NFL owners have the $1-2 billion in cash sitting around that it would take. Plus you'd be damn sure the NFLPA would insist on even higher salaries and/or guarantees of future income should sports-related injuries cause a loss of employability if the owners were to hand out that kind of money.
Great points but obviously the NFL is concerned with damages one way or the other, one figure they can live with or another, they might as well get on with it.

A league being destroyed because of its own popularity. As I said in another thread, if the NHL were this big you would see more of the same.
I would love for you to elaborate on this thought.Having played my whole life, having more then one NHL playing friends from school, and another who works for the NHL offices, I can't think of any rule changes that the NHL would make to detract from the game as much as removing kickoffs, punts etc would.No touch icing?Remove fighting?One will have less than a .0001% effect on injuries, and the other, Canadians won't stand for.

How about flags which hang from the belt? Wouldn't that eliminate hard tackling?

And blocking...that causes lots of injuries. How about if you touch the opposing player, he has to fall down?

A lot of people were in favor of the two point conversion and instant replay. I would venture to say probably 90% of fans do not want to get rid of the kickoff.

:confused: Hockey down?And Instant Replay has ruined the game, btw.

Getting rid of the kickoff would be a major bad decision, IMO. Would they still need 53 man rosters without the need for special teams players? If they abolish kickoffs, would they do the same for punts? Where do you draw the line? What about onsides kicks, especially when you're down late in the game? Hopefully this rumor gets squashed soon, because it would change how the game is played and be bad for the sport, even if it did reduce injuries.

Getting rid of the kickoff would be a major bad decision, IMO. Would they still need 53 man rosters without the need for special teams players? If they abolish kickoffs, would they do the same for punts? Where do you draw the line? What about onsides kicks, especially when you're down late in the game? Hopefully this rumor gets squashed soon, because it would change how the game is played and be bad for the sport, even if it did reduce injuries.
I agree, they have already eliminated a lot of the concussions on kickoffs with limited wedge possibilities and moving the kickoff up.

Users who are viewing this thread