What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Apple Pie "Moonshine" (1 Viewer)

[icon]

Insoxicated
Had this at a festival yesterday. Whoa boy is it trouble.

Ingredients:

1 gallon apple cider

1 gallon apple juice

1.5 cups brown sugar

8 cinnamon sticks

1 to 1.5 liter bottles of 190 proof moonshine or grain alcohol

Directions

In a large stock pot, combine the apple cider, apple juice, sugar, and cinnamon sticks.

Bring it to a boil, then take it off the heat and allow it to cool.

Add the liter of high proof liquor.

Pour this into mason jars, put the lids on, and let it mellow out. You could drink it right away, but it does get better after a couple of weeks.

This recipe makes about 9 quarts of apple pie moonshine.

Good ####

Ingredients:

1 gallon apple cider

1 gallon apple juice

1.5 cups brown sugar

8 cinnamon sticks

Directions

In a large stock pot, combine the apple cider, apple juice, sugar, and cinnamon sticks.

Pour this into mason jars, put the lids on, and let it mellow out. You could drink it right away, but it does get better after a couple of weeks.

Good ####
:goodposting: Someone brought something similar to a friends Christmas party. It goes down too easy.

I was in Nashville two weeks ago and did a shot of Ol Smokeys apple pie moonshine at a bar, couldn't stop doing them they were so good, also had to go to the local liquor store the next day and buy a jar to bring back home...great stuff.

Had this Thanksgiving and Christmas. Can and will #### up a bunch of people in a short period of time. It's delicious and trouble and I highly recommend it.

Do you age it just sitting on a shelf or in the refrigerator? Best served pretty well chilled? Could be good for a July 4th batch..."American as apple pie" and all that stuff I'm thinking.

Do you age it just sitting on a shelf or in the refrigerator? Best served pretty well chilled? Could be good for a July 4th batch..."American as apple pie" and all that stuff I'm thinking.
Age it in a jug in a closet. Had it served chilled yesterday. Was nice but I don't think it's mandatory.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had this at a bachelor party last night. It did not taste like booze at all. It just tasted like apple cider and it was amazing.

Had it for the first time at a U of M vs MSU football game in Ann Arbor....

As much as I despise the "corn & blue", I have to hand it to them on tailgating...they do it right.

It's a great drink in the fall, I made mine with fresh cider from the pumpkin patch we take our kids to.

Ingredients:

1 gallon apple cider

1 gallon apple juice

1.5 cups brown sugar

8 cinnamon sticks

Directions

Good ####
Does it have to be 190 proof? I know a guy who knows a guy that can get a jug of homemade 'shine, but he does distills it to an approximate 120-140 proof.

Ingredients:

1 gallon apple cider

1 gallon apple juice

1.5 cups brown sugar

8 cinnamon sticks

Directions

Good ####
Made it a couple years ago for the first time. Only used 1x750 ML bottle of Everclear, so will probably use double that for the next batch. Was a little too weak for my tastes.

Ingredients:

1 gallon apple cider

1 gallon apple juice

1.5 cups brown sugar

8 cinnamon sticks

Directions

Good ####
Does it have to be 190 proof? I know a guy who knows a guy that can get a jug of homemade 'shine, but he does distills it to an approximate 120-140 proof.
As long as you drink it while wearing a skirt, you'll be fine.

Ingredients:

1 gallon apple cider

1 gallon apple juice

1.5 cups brown sugar

8 cinnamon sticks

Directions

Good ####
Any booze will work. Hell I'm sure you could use 80 proof vodka if you wanted. The higher proof just allows you to use less of it and let more of the apple pie flavor shine through rather than the booze flavor. The goal is nothing that will have a strong flavor of it's own that will distract from the other things going on. I'm making a large batch tonight for our BBQfest tent. Will have 24 Mason jars of it on ice behind the bar for brave souls...

The last time I made that for a party we had a guy pass out naked on the front lawn. It just happened to be the middle of winter and he faceplanted into a snowbank.

Tread lightly, that stuff is no joke.

You're darn right, that's TROUBLE!

I had some on a camping trip about 5 years ago. I ended up making out with some guy's wife in a restroom stall.

Made it a couple years ago for the first time. Only used 1x750 ML bottle of Everclear, so will probably use double that for the next batch. Was a little too weak for my tastes.
Yeah the batch I tried Saturday had 1.5L of Everclear in it and it was Juuuust right (Comes in right around 16.6% Everclear or about 30 Proof). Good burn but not so much that it took away from the enjoyment of drinking it. At that concentration a 16oz Mason Jar comes in right around the same as drinking half a fifth of standard 80 proof booze (Whiskey, Vodka, etc). The problem is that it would be NOTHING to drink a mason jar or two in no time flat due to the smooth flavor... :unsure:

You're darn right, that's TROUBLE!I had some on a camping trip about 5 years ago. I ended up making out with some guy's wife in a restroom stall.
:lmao: I was not expecting this many funny/crazy stories stemming from this stuff when I posted the recipe. NIckname for this will be "Bad decision juice" :) I'll likely go with half the sugar (original recipe called for 3 cups of sugar, I just listed 1.5cups here)...just because I don't like anything TOO sweet. 3 Cups is a LOT.

You're darn right, that's TROUBLE!

I had some on a camping trip about 5 years ago. I ended up making out with some guy's wife in a restroom stall.
:lmao: I was not expecting this many funny/crazy stories stemming from this stuff when I posted the recipe.

I'll likely go with half the sugar (original recipe called for 3 cups of sugar, I just listed 1.5cups here)...just because I don't like anything TOO sweet. 3 Cups is a LOT.
I want to say that the recipe I used called for an even 2 cups. But the gallon of Cider + Gallon of Juice were spot on. Also, for some reason my recipe said to use regular sugar. I thought it would be a hell of a lot better with Brown Sugar, so I used that instead.

When I make the jars for our BBQfest booth I'll likely design some cool labels for them and leave a wedge of apple and a cinnamon stick in each... just for branding purposes.

You're darn right, that's TROUBLE!I had some on a camping trip about 5 years ago. I ended up making out with some guy's wife in a restroom stall.
:lmao: I was not expecting this many funny/crazy stories stemming from this stuff when I posted the recipe. NIckname for this will be "Bad decision juice" :)
Have a ton of funny stories from that Door County weekend, but they all fall in the category of 'you had to be there'

:lmao: I was not expecting this many funny/crazy stories stemming from this stuff when I posted the recipe. NIckname for this will be "Bad decision juice" :) I'll likely go with half the sugar (original recipe called for 3 cups of sugar, I just listed 1.5cups here)...just because I don't like anything TOO sweet. 3 Cups is a LOT.
Yeah.. Me and my buddy (another MSU fan) went to the Big House and tailgated with a bunch of our U of M friends.. after consuming this "bad decision" juice, we went to the game... a game in which MSU won 34-17. My drunk buddy proceeds to yell over and over, "THEY ARE WHO WE THOUGHT THEY WERE!!".. and we are surrounded by U of M fans.

Ingredients:

1 gallon apple cider

1 gallon apple juice

1.5 cups brown sugar

8 cinnamon sticks

Directions

Good ####
Any booze will work. Hell I'm sure you could use 80 proof vodka if you wanted. The higher proof just allows you to use less of it and let more of the apple pie flavor shine through rather than the booze flavor. The goal is nothing that will have a strong flavor of it's own that will distract from the other things going on. I'm making a large batch tonight for our BBQfest tent. Will have 24 Mason jars of it on ice behind the bar for brave souls...
cool...this same guy will mix his 'shine with grape juice (wine shine) and a mango juice that is fantastic and gets you rocked quickly if you don't sip it.

Yeah the batch I tried Saturday had 1.5L of Everclear in it and it was Juuuust right (Comes in right around 16.6% Everclear or about 30 Proof). Good burn but not so much that it took away from the enjoyment of drinking it. At that concentration a 16oz Mason Jar comes in right around the same as drinking half a fifth of standard 80 proof booze (Whiskey, Vodka, etc).
:eek:

You should bake some apple slices with cinnamon until theyre a bit tender, then add a bunch of those to a mason jar thats half full of that 190 proof moonshine til the jar is full. Let that sit on a shelf for a few months, then eat a few of those apple slices.

This also works with cherries and peaches.

You should bake some apple slices with cinnamon until theyre a bit tender, then add a bunch of those to a mason jar thats half full of that 190 proof moonshine til the jar is full. Let that sit on a shelf for a few months, then eat a few of those apple slices.This also works with cherries and peaches.
The plan is to have an apple wedge and cinnamon stick in each mason jar when it's sealed. :thumbup:

Nice! :thumbup:

Gotta try this out for the next family get together. My inlaws are always trying to one up each other with their homemade beers. This should place me at the top on the first try. :banned:

Age it in a jug in a closet. Had it served chilled yesterday. Was nice but I don't think it's mandatory.
GB of mine makes a variation of this and it's awesome when served hot during chilly tailgating weather :banned:

was thinking about this as a signature drink for a birthday party this weekend. thoughts on adding a pumpkin element to it? would it translate well? also planning on reducing to a normal person's alcohol content.

Gonna be making a batch tomorrow to be ready for Halloween night. Gotta have something to help pass the time as trick-or-treaters come by!

How long will this last before it goes bad?
:shrug: I've had it when it was over a month old without issue.
served chilled, or room temp?
Chilled is a bit better IMO but room temp isn't bad.
might try to make some tonight for a party this saturday. you think that's long enough to mellow out?
It should be fine. The longer the better (within reason) but even fresh it's still very good. One week should be fine.'I'll be making a batch for a halloween party this week myself.

How long will this last before it goes bad?
Would it go bad?
Did a little bit of research on this. It depends on what type of cider you get. Most cider these days is pasteurized. If you get unpasteurized (like from a roadside stand or market or some sht), it will begin to ferment in about two weeks, assuming it's sealed up. At that point, it will depend on environmentals. If you get pasteurized cider, then it will keep indefinitely.

Users who are viewing this thread