What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** Official 2012 Carolina Panthers Thread *** (1 Viewer)

BassNBrew

Footballguy
I would have started this sooner, but our off season is usually :yawn: Biggest news is that Cam didn't get the Madden cover.

No need to recap 2011, Cam was beyond awesome and most of us were wrong. Unfortunately he was a little too good and we're stuck in the 9th slot for the draft. Everyone is saying Cox will be the pick. I expect a surprise. Either WR to make Cam feel better about Carolina long term or a trade down with a team looking to pick the LB from BC.

After listening to all the talking heads on the radio I have no idea what direction the Cats will go. Some seem to think Blackmon or Kalia will be there. Couples seems to be the trendy choice now. Still think their may be trading partners available for someone looking to get Barron or the BC LB ahead of Buffalo or Dallas.

I don't think Hurney will write off his two DT picks from last year this quickly.

Well I was right about Barron and Kuechly going ahead of the DTs, just wrong about the Panthers ending up with them. Personally I don't see anything wrong with drafting a franchise type player regardless of need. Hurney has a strong track record with his first round selections.

Where do we go with the second round pick? Hurney's track record there is poor. I'm thinking Hill would be a good match for Cam. In lieu of that, I wouldn't be upset with Fleener to pair with Olsen and then stand pat at WR.

I like the Kuechly pick. He is a great linebacker, and two of our linebackers went down with season ending injuries early last year, one of which can't be counted on to stay healthy (Thomas Davis). The Panthers have told Kuechly that he might play any of their three linebacker positions. Kuechly, Beason (who hopefully will be healthy from his achilles rupture), Anderson, and Davis is a great core of linebackers. I think they go with defense again in the 2nd round, but it's hard to say with Marty.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like the Kuechly pick. He is a great linebacker, and two of our linebackers went down with season ending injuries early last year, one of which can't be counted on to stay healthy (Thomas Davis). The Panthers have told Kuechly that he might play any of their three linebacker positions. Kuechly, Beason (who hopefully will be healthy from his achilles rupture), Anderson, and Davis is a great core of linebackers. I think they go with defense again in the 2nd round, but it's hard to say with Marty.
I liked it as well and thought it was smart to draft what is arguably one of the best linebackers to come out in some time. And I love that he is a film room guy already. He will hopefully be a stalwart for this defense for the next decade.

Kuechley seems like a nice pick.

I don't know much about any of these guys, but Hill looked really good when I watched him in college.

It's conceivable that Davis moves back to safety.FYI...according to Beason, Davis is already faster than him.

'BassNBrew said:
'simey said:
It's conceivable that Davis moves back to safety.FYI...according to Beason, Davis is already faster than him.
Maybe if he moves back to safety he won't have to be as beefy weight wise, and that would mean less stress on his 3x surgically repaired knee. Has any nfl player ever returned to full form after three acl surgeries to the same knee (3 years in a row no less)? Maybe his knee is bionic now. I have a lot of respect for his perseverance and positive attitude.

I wasn't expecting us to address the OL in the 2nd round, but since we did I'm glad it's Amini Silatolu. I think he is the best offensive lineman in the 2nd round, and we needed someone to replace Wharton. It will be interesting to see if Marty tries to move into the 3rd round. I hope he doesn't do anything stupid. :unsure:

I wasn't expecting us to address the OL in the 2nd round, but since we did I'm glad it's Amini Silatolu. I think he is the best offensive lineman in the 2nd round, and we needed someone to replace Wharton. It will be interesting to see if Marty tries to move into the 3rd round. I hope he doesn't do anything stupid. :unsure:
Why is this guy better than Glenn?

I think Silatolu has more upside. He is an outstanding athlete, strong as an ox, and tough as nails. His play reminds me of Jahri Evans.

I like both our 4th round picks, and I'm ok with trading away next years 3rd and this years early 6th to get a great run stopper / pass rusher like Alexander. We can always get back the 3rd via trade or something, and if we don't we don't. I also love getting Adams who can help us in the passing game and on special teams. I think drafting Adams probably means the end of Edwards in Carolina.

I like both our 4th round picks, and I'm ok with trading away next years 3rd and this years early 6th to get a great run stopper / pass rusher like Alexander. We can always get back the 3rd via trade or something, and if we don't we don't. I also love getting Adams who can help us in the passing game and on special teams. I think drafting Adams probably means the end of Edwards in Carolina.
I like both 4th rounders too, and getting Norman in the 5th is a steal.

I think Silatolu has more upside. He is an outstanding athlete, strong as an ox, and tough as nails. His play reminds me of Jahri Evans.
Evans is a great comparison. Silatolu is full throttle. He was projected by some analyst to go in the first round.

I am not sure what Hurneys infatuation is with giving up higher picks than what you trade for. That said it seems like they are drafting guys this year that have been really productive in college and can contribute immediately. I think they are saying it is playoffs or bust this year.

Sitatolu is probably going to be starting day 1. I cannot complain when you draft someone to protect your franchise qb. One article even said he could play RT if needed be.

I am not sure what Hurneys infatuation is with giving up higher picks than what you trade for. That said it seems like they are drafting guys this year that have been really productive in college and can contribute immediately. I think they are saying it is playoffs or bust this year.Sitatolu is probably going to be starting day 1. I cannot complain when you draft someone to protect your franchise qb. One article even said he could play RT if needed be.
I don't have a problem with Hurney trading next years 3rd to get Alexander, and it's common that trading up in the 4th is going to cost you a 3rd. They tried to trade up into the 3rd yesterday, but couldn't find a trading partner which may have been a good thing. There is plenty that can happen between now and next years draft where we might even get that 3rd back. We were the worst team in the league in 2010, and we are moving in the right direction starting with last season. I think the team is pretty young to be in the position of it being playoffs or bust, but if our D improves this year, and I think it will, the playoffs are a possibility.

So am I correct in that it will be Adams in the slot with either LaFell or Gettis opposite Smith?
The staff hasn't gone into detail, but here is a quote from Coach Rivera:
"When you put the tape on, you see his explosiveness, his vision, the way he runs with the ball and the way he creates," Rivera said. "There are a lot of positives he brings to the table with his return ability, and then as a slot receiver he's a guy who understands the routes that need to be run and where he needs to sit down in holes, things like that.

I am not sure what Hurneys infatuation is with giving up higher picks than what you trade for.
It's rare for a team to accept a 4th rounder for a high 4th. There has be some incentive in making the trade. Our third rounder this year is basically Greg Olsen, which was a great deal made last offseason. Us giving up a third for next year for a high 4th in Alexander is pretty on par. The thing that made Alexander drop to the 4th was him not being able to play in the combine due to being misdiagnosed. He's a great pass rusher and I'm glad we got him. You never know how any pick is going to turn out, but overall I think Marty and Rivera did a nice job drafting this year.

I am not sure what Hurneys infatuation is with giving up higher picks than what you trade for. That said it seems like they are drafting guys this year that have been really productive in college and can contribute immediately. I think they are saying it is playoffs or bust this year.

Sitatolu is probably going to be starting day 1. I cannot complain when you draft someone to protect your franchise qb. One article even said he could play RT if needed be.
I don't have a problem with Hurney trading next years 3rd to get Alexander, and it's common that trading up in the 4th is going to cost you a 3rd. They tried to trade up into the 3rd yesterday, but couldn't find a trading partner which may have been a good thing. There is plenty that can happen between now and next years draft where we might even get that 3rd back. We were the worst team in the league in 2010, and we are moving in the right direction starting with last season. I think the team is pretty young to be in the position of it being playoffs or bust, but if our D improves this year, and I think it will, the playoffs are a possibility.
I guess my point is I dont understand why Hurney feels he has to do this every year. Dont get me wrong on paper this looks like one of his better drafts with no apparent WTF picks (Edwards, E Brown, Hogan etc) but that is not really a high water mark for Hurney.I think with our offense, a full off season for Cam, Getts coming back and as well as Otah I think Playoffs are a reasonable goal especially with N.O. going through the ringer.

I guess my point is I dont understand why Hurney feels he has to do this every year. Dont get me wrong on paper this looks like one of his better drafts with no apparent WTF picks (Edwards, E Brown, Hogan etc) but that is not really a high water mark for Hurney.I think with our offense, a full off season for Cam, Getts coming back and as well as Otah I think Playoffs are a reasonable goal especially with N.O. going through the ringer.
Carolina is my "NFC" team, so I follow them quite a bit and have noticed this trend with Hurney. He is a very polarizing drafter, where he wiffs massively on WRs, and hits on his RBs, LBs, and O-line for the most part. To answer your question, I feel he drafts in "win now" mode (with the trades) and yet is a good enough talent evaluator, that he does not stub his toe with big time wiffs, but is left thin on choices, and therefor depth. I am a Jets fan, and Tannebaum does the same thing, and where he misses on his picks more often, the NY location allows him to attract better FA talent which compensates for the misses...the common thread is, both teams have woeful depth, and that is because they are always dealing with few picks in rounds 1-4. Just my thoughts, but something that has been on my radar too.

Who's the money on right.now to start? Gettis or Lafell?
Gettis is still rehabbing his leg. In late March he said he was 93% back. He said he just needs to get his full strength back and build bulk back up in his leg. I don't think there is a front-runner for the #2 spot right now. LaFell gained a year of experience on Gettis since Gettis missed last season, but I don't think LaFell's play last season earned him the #2 spot. I think that spot is up for grabs, and they will compete for it in training camp and the preseason.

'BassNBrew said:
Haven't looked at the draft in depth, but I think we may have invested too much in small school guys.
The Panthers drafted two smaller school players in Silatolu and Norman, and both are great players. Silatolu could have gone in the first, and Norman was a steal in the 5th round. I don't see the big deal that they went to Div. II schools. Tolbert went to a Div II school, and I have a feeling he will work out well for the Panthers. Brad Hoover went to a Div. II school, and he did work out well for the Panthers. Silatolu plays a lot like Jahri Evans, and Jahri Evans went to a Div.II school. That didn't bother the Saints. The Chargers didn't mind that Vincent Jackson went to a Div. II school. There are a lot of great players in the NFL that played at smaller schools. I think the Panthers drafted well, and most of the players they drafted can help them out this year.

'grantsa4 said:
:goodposting: Was just going to post the very same thing. I think we'll learn a bit in preseason, but lets stay on top of this as the WR opposite of Smitty might have some value this year.

'BassNBrew said:
Haven't looked at the draft in depth, but I think we may have invested too much in small school guys.
What I saw from the most exciting small school guys is that they clearly dominated.

'simey said:
'grantsa4 said:
Gettis is still rehabbing his leg. In late March he said he was 93% back. He said he just needs to get his full strength back and build bulk back up in his leg. I don't think there is a front-runner for the #2 spot right now. LaFell gained a year of experience on Gettis since Gettis missed last season, but I don't think LaFell's play last season earned him the #2 spot. I think that spot is up for grabs, and they will compete for it in training camp and the preseason.
Well the coaches have been talking up a breakout for LaFell this year and as far as I know there have been no attempts to sign Nanee. I think Gettis is the guy they want to grab the number 2 spot but Adams should get a shot as well.

1 C. Newton

3 T. McClain

3 S. Fua

4 B. Hogan

5 K. Pilares

6 L. Wilson

6 Z. Williams

7 L. Ziemba

Anyone want to evaluate last years draft?

'simey said:
'grantsa4 said:
Well the coaches have been talking up a breakout for LaFell this year and as far as I know there have been no attempts to sign Nanee. I think Gettis is the guy they want to grab the number 2 spot but Adams should get a shot as well.
It will be interesting to see who gets the #2. Adams will more than likely be the slot guy and also can play outside some, and I think the #2 will be between Gettis and LaFell. I would love for any of them to step up and become the clear #2.

Well, I guess we'll see what happens. My thoughts when each pick was announced:

#1. Luke Kuechly (LB) - Herney is sticking by his "draft the best player available" shtick. There must be more to Beason's or Davis' recovery than we've been told. Hopefully they will address NEED in round 2.

#2. Amini Silatolu (OT) - WHO? OT? Not addressing need here either. Not liking this pattern.

#4. Frank Alexander (DE) - Finally...some defensive help but still don't have any "game changers" on defense.

#4. Joe Adams (WR) - Liked this pick a lot. Possible major threat at the slot and definitely a threat in the kicking game. Exactly the kind of player needed. Good job. I also thought it was safe to assume the Edwards experiment was over. Hopefully this will teach Marty and company not to listen to others and stay focused on the task at hand. NE completely worked them on that "deal".

#5. Josh Norman (CB) - WHO? After looking at tape, he seems to be a quality guy that late in the draft. Hopefully he pans out. Lots of folks liked the pick.

#6. Brad Norman (P) - Who cares?

#7. DJ Campbell (FS) - Pick has potential which is all we can ask for that late

Overall feelings: I think it was actually a quality draft especially in the middle rounds where Herney's struggled in the past. #2 pick leaves me wondering WTF but if he pans out, fine. His film shows him dominating a bunch of guys 250-260 on the line and guys 200-225 at the LB position. He's 320+ lbs...he should be dominating. I want to see him going against the big boys, but will be glad to eat crow if he exceeds expectations. He needs to produce from day one though. I get Herney's philosophy of "best player available" and it's a nice tag line, but teams like the Panthers don't really have the luxury to take that route right now. IMO, they should be drafting on need and that they didn't take a single DT with some VERY quality ones they could have taken, bothers me.

Time will tell.

Last edited by a moderator:
'simey said:
'grantsa4 said:
or EdwardsI actually laughed out loud typing that. That dude is a dead man walking

1 C. Newton 3 T. McClain 3 S. Fua 4 B. Hogan 5 K. Pilares 6 L. Wilson 6 Z. Williams 7 L. Ziemba Anyone want to evaluate last years draft?
The picks Cam and Pilares were all hurt last year. Outside of Newton it was a bust type year. Add Newton and the guys coming back from injury then it could turn out quite well.

Not so much a prediction, but this is what I have in my mind as "par" for 2012.

01 Sep. 09 at Buccaneers 4:15 PM EDT TV: FOX Loss (0-1)

02 Sep. 16 Saints 1:00 PM EDT TV: FOX Radio: 1110 AM WBT Win (1-1)

03 Sep. 20 Giants 8:20 PM EDT TV: NFL NETWORK Radio: 1110 AM WBT Loss (1-2)

04 Sep. 30 at Falcons 1:00 PM EDT TV: FOX Loss (1-3)

05 Oct. 07 Seahawks 4:05 PM EDT TV: FOX Radio: 1110 AM WBT Win (2-3)

06 Bye

07 Oct. 21 Cowboys 1:00 PM EDT TV: FOX Radio: 1110 AM WBT Win (3-3)

08 Oct. 28 at Bears 1:00 PM EDT TV: FOX Loss (3-4)

09 Nov. 04 at Redskins 1:00 PM EST TV: FOX Win (4-4)

10 Nov. 11 Broncos 1:00 PM EST TV: CBS Radio: 1110 AM WBT Win (5-4)

11 Nov. 18 Buccaneers 1:00 PM EST TV: FOX Radio: 1110 AM WBT Win (6-4)

12 Nov. 26 at Eagles 8:30 PM EST TV: ESPN Loss (6-5)

13 Dec. 02 at Chiefs 1:00 PM EST TV: FOX Win (7-5)

14 Dec. 09 Falcons 1:00 PM EST TV: FOX Radio: 1110 AM WBT Win (8-5)

15 Dec. 16 at Chargers 4:05 PM EST TV: FOX Loss (8-6)

16 Dec. 23 Raiders 1:00 PM EST TV: CBS Radio: 1110 AM WBT Win (9-6)

17 Dec. 30 at Saints 1:00 PM EST TV: FOX Loss (9-7)

Thoughts?

or EdwardsI actually laughed out loud typing that. That dude is a dead man walking
Is he toast?

I've grabbed Gettis in deeper leagues when I could, I like his chances. He was really looking good 2010. I wish they would have grabbed Alshon in the second round, but I think Olsen/Lafell/Gettis/Smitty do the trick

By drafting Adams I think it's a foregone conclusion that Edwards has been replaced. Adams is already ahead of him in experience in both punt returns and recieving. Edwards is now just an expensive(cost a 2nd?) experiment that went horribly for the Panthers. He'll get to compete again but he will have to show massive improvement to make the team IMO.

LaFell and Gettis should compete for the #2 spot. Adams is more of a slot guy and I would be suprised if we don't see him there this year.

Caught this when trying to see what the Panthers got for undrafted free agents. Seems like an interesting longshot.

From Bleacher Report:

I know what you're thinking. Rico who? Rico Wallace.

Wallace is a 6'3", 210-pound wide receiver out of Shenandoah University in Winchester, Virginia. He hasn't garnered too much attention, due to the very small market that he plays in, but he very well could have the skills to succeed at football's highest level.

Check out what Optimum Scouting had to say about the young wideout:

"When watching film of Rico Wallace, you see a very smooth runner, who is able to weave in and out of traffic. He hits his step hard and makes clean fresh cuts. He has great hands, great size and he reminds me of Dez Bryant (without the attitude). He seems to make everyone on the field better. When asked about practice, Wallace said that “he tries the hardest he can, because he wants the defense to be ready for the opposing team’s receivers.”

Wallace holds every major receiving record at Shenadoah—that's even more impressive when you take into account the fact that SU had a losing for all but one season during Wallace's tenure. In other words, he put up big numbers without much of a supporting cast.

Plus, Pierre Garcon has shown that it's possible for a Division III wideout to have an impact at the NFL level. So why not give Wallace a shot?

Mike Tolbert signed with Panthers to return to South

By Brian McIntyre

The San Diego Chargers did not want to lose fullback Mike Tolbert in free agency. The former undrafted free agent out of Coastal Carolina had over 1,300 rushing yards and 20 touchdowns the previous three seasons, including a team-high 735 yards in 2010, caught 54 passes in 2011 and led the team in special teams tackles in 2009 and 2011. Unfortunately for the Chargers, they never stood a chance as Tolbert took $1 million less to sign with the Carolina Panthers so he could raise his daughter in the South, The Associated Press reports.

"I just wanted to raise my daughter in the South," the native of Douglasville, Georgia said. "I just think this is a better place to raise a family."

Tolbert signed a four-year, $10 million contract that included $4.2 million in guarantees to be a jack of all trades for the Panthers. While he'll primarily play fullback, Tolbert's talents as a runner and receiver will not go to waste and his play on special teams should go a long way towards improving a unit that ranked 32nd in special teams DVOA in 2011. Panthers offensive coordinator Rob Chudzinkski has worked out some new, undisclosed ways to use Tolbert, writes Joseph Person of the Charlotte Observer.

“I can’t reveal it, but we’re learning some different stuff and doing some different things that I haven’t done in the past," Tolbert said. "Chud and coach (Ron) Rivera have a lot of confidence in me. With that being said, I’m going to go out and try to prove them right."

I read last Friday that Otah's knee has flared up again. This reminds me of the issues Dan Morgan would have every season. I wonder if the Panthers are going to consider trying out Silatolu at RT eventually.

I read last Friday that Otah's knee has flared up again. This reminds me of the issues Dan Morgan would have every season. I wonder if the Panthers are going to consider trying out Silatolu at RT eventually.
Apparently the MRI came back negative.

Users who are viewing this thread