What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dolphin WR thread (1 Viewer)

loose circuits

Footballguy
Anyone else see some serious potential for a wr to emerge out of this mess? Certainly some intriguing options outside of the crafty vets in Hartline and Bess who are better off as role players.

Candidates:

Clyde Gates: to say hes fast is an understatement. This guy can get downfield in a hurry. Tannehill has the arm to get it there.

Rishard Matthews: Isn't he a Waldman fav? I am too broke to pay for the RSP; but this guy produced in college. I think there may be some off field concerns

BJ Cunningham: Produced in Big 10 as Cousins #1 target. Jim Miller favorite and draft position better than other rookies.

Jeff Fuller: Awful senior year saw him go from potential top prospect to UDFA. His former HC and QB haven't given up in him which tells me there is potential here that Sherman saw in practice

Derrick Moye: size/speed combo will compete

Roberto Wallace: see above

Who is your favorite?

Last edited by a moderator:
I like Clyde Gates personally. With a year in the pros I'm expecting him to hopefully take a nice step forward and become the deep threat they need.

Rishard Matthews. Perfect fit for WCO. Slants, outs, and comebacks from Tannehill all day.

Good topic. Thanks. I don't closely follow MIA so I appreciate the input. Obviously the loss of bmarsh leaves a hole for a potential late pick that could pay off well. I really don't have an opinion at this point on these guys but am looking forward to the comments.

I will say this as a Ram fan: Looking at that group makes me feel just a bit better about what we are dealing with at WR.

Good topic. Thanks. I don't closely follow MIA so I appreciate the input. Obviously the loss of bmarsh leaves a hole for a potential late pick that could pay off well. I really don't have an opinion at this point on these guys but am looking forward to the comments.

I will say this as a Ram fan: Looking at that group makes me feel just a bit better about what we are dealing with at WR.
:lol:

It's a roll of the dice on any of those guys. Bess seems like a safe bet to be the possession guy. For me, I'm liking Cunningham as a guy that could emerge. Decent size, and from what I've read, a pretty polished route runner.

1. Bess: Outside, slot, doesn't matter, he's a lock for 70-80+ balls and he just might break O.J. McDuffie's single season reception record, something Brandon Marshall was unable to achieve.

2. Naanee: He is going to start for better or worse right now. That could change but he is likely going to be running with the starting unit when camp opens. I don't think he is very talented but he could see some real action.

3. Hartline: He is big on 3rd down, I'm a fan but he has limitations. I enjoy watching him run routes. And he kind of looks and is shaped like a porpoise when he is catching the ball, I swear watch the games.

4. Marlon Moore: He was running routes in the WCO in college. He has been doing cartwheels in mini camps and loves the new offense, says it is made for him and his talents. Just telling you what Moore said to the locals here.

5. Clyde Gates: Has a lot of speed.

6. B.J. Cunningham: Might not make the team IMO

7. Jeff Fuller: Of the rest I like him because of the connection to THill and the OC.

What is the WR2 value in this offense ultimately in 2012? I am thinking not all that much. 800/5 tops for anyone outside of Bess.

If they felt comfortable letting Marshall walk and didn't make a serious effort to acquire a top WR in the draft then maybe they like the group that they already have? The Saints traded away Donte Stallworth once they realized what they had in Marques Colston.

I really don't expect any of Miami's WRs to replicate Marshall's production, but I like Gates a lot as a sleeper. He's a really fluid runner with a rare third gear that will allow him to run by even the fastest of corners. If he can develop savvy, hands, and toughness then he can be a big time player. He's the unquestioned pick of this litter for me because of his upside.

Bess is what he is, and is capable of giving you some useful stats in deeper leagues. I'd be surprised if he took the next step though.

1. Bess: Outside, slot, doesn't matter, he's a lock for 70-80+ balls and he just might break O.J. McDuffie's single season reception record, something Brandon Marshall was unable to achieve.

2. Naanee: He is going to start for better or worse right now. That could change but he is likely going to be running with the starting unit when camp opens. I don't think he is very talented but he could see some real action.

3. Hartline: He is big on 3rd down, I'm a fan but he has limitations. I enjoy watching him run routes. And he kind of looks and is shaped like a porpoise when he is catching the ball, I swear watch the games.

4. Marlon Moore: He was running routes in the WCO in college. He has been doing cartwheels in mini camps and loves the new offense, says it is made for him and his talents. Just telling you what Moore said to the locals here.

7. Jeff Fuller: Of the rest I like him because of the connection to THill and the OC.

What is the WR2 value in this offense ultimately in 2012? I am thinking not all that much. 800/5 tops for anyone outside of Bess.
Not seeing this at all.

If they felt comfortable letting Marshall walk and didn't make a serious effort to acquire a top WR in the draft then maybe they like the group that they already have? The Saints traded away Donte Stallworth once they realized what they had in Marques Colston.

I really don't expect any of Miami's WRs to replicate Marshall's production, but I like Gates a lot as a sleeper. He's a really fluid runner with a rare third gear that will allow him to run by even the fastest of corners. If he can develop savvy, hands, and toughness then he can be a big time player. He's the unquestioned pick of this litter for me because of his upside.

Bess is what he is, and is capable of giving you some useful stats in deeper leagues. I'd be surprised if he took the next step though.
I doubt they were comfortable with taking a net loss on the Marshall experiment; just don't think they wanted to saddle a new first-time HC with the circus that seems to follow Marshall wherever he goes.What they had left of the wide receivers had little to do with their decision IMO.

Not seeing this at all.
Bess already has seasons of 76 and 79 catches. I don't think it's farfetched at all.
Not farfetched but a lock??? Bess didn't exactly seem like he was a favorite of Matt Moore and who knows which receiver will get Tannehill's eye. You also don't have the attention focused on Marshall so Bess will be dealing with some double teams as well. I'm just not as optimistic for his chances as some on here apparently are.

Bess is an uninteresting backup fantasy WR (one you stash for cheap in deep leagues and leave on the wire in shallower ones) and Gates is the dynasty upside stash, the rest looks like a whole lotta nothing to see here. Although I'll admit to not knowing much of anything about Rishard

I think you need to include the TEs, Egnew and Fasano could be placed near the top of that list.
Fasano is a proven mediocre TE (kinda like Bess - bench depth in deep/dynos and waiver fodder in shallower redraft leagues), Egnew is the 3rd best TE to come from Mizzou in the last half decade. The other 2 never did anything.

I think you need to include the TEs, Egnew and Fasano could be placed near the top of that list.
Fasano is a proven mediocre TE (kinda like Bess - bench depth in deep/dynos and waiver fodder in shallower redraft leagues), Egnew is the 3rd best TE to come from Mizzou in the last half decade. The other 2 never did anything.
new qb, new coach, new system. To totally discount them over Nanee and Clyde Gates could be a mistake. Then again, I think most of the dolphins "weapons" will be nearly worthless save Reggie Bush

Not seeing this at all.
Bess already has seasons of 76 and 79 catches. I don't think it's farfetched at all.
Not farfetched but a lock??? Bess didn't exactly seem like he was a favorite of Matt Moore and who knows which receiver will get Tannehill's eye. You also don't have the attention focused on Marshall so Bess will be dealing with some double teams as well. I'm just not as optimistic for his chances as some on here apparently are.
Depth chart right now starts with Bess. I think if Bess were not going to be a major part of the passing game that Miami would have let him go. Bess has very good hands and he is also terrific on the underneath stuff, very quick although not super fast but he can get in and out of routes quickly. I'm happy that everyone is down on the guy, he's a nice WR 3/4 in PPR leagues and has been for the last 2+ seasons really.

Bess is an uninteresting backup fantasy WR (one you stash for cheap in deep leagues and leave on the wire in shallower ones) and Gates is the dynasty upside stash, the rest looks like a whole lotta nothing to see here. Although I'll admit to not knowing much of anything about Rishard
From what I am told we mirror each other the way we go after the teams we both root for. I would encourage you to not make a blanket assumption on Bess right now. Keep an open mind over the summer.
I like Egnew a lot in this offense. Agree that because of the lack of depth at WR, the TE1 slot could be used and abused.
Fasano has quite a few TDs the last 3-4 seasons but I agree with you that he is mediocre. Bess is not suited to play the outside WR1 role but he is terrific out of the slot. I would like to se Miami line up Hartline and either Gates/Moore and allow Bess to work underneath.

Nothing is for sure yet. Naanee likely will be the WR2 for right now.

new qb, new coach, new system. To totally discount them over Nanee and Clyde Gates could be a mistake. Then again, I think most of the dolphins "weapons" will be nearly worthless save Reggie Bush
I think the book is written on most of them and having watched a lot of Cunningham over the years I feel comfortable saying he's nothing more than a role WR, if that. Fuller's the other unknown and given how bright his star was pre 2011 I feel hesitant to write him off but I can't un-see what I saw last year.

From what I am told we mirror each other the way we go after the teams we both root for. I would encourage you to not make a blanket assumption on Bess right now. Keep an open mind over the summer.
Bitter Browns fan, party of 70,000 and growing!I think looking at what he's done throughout his career you can feel pretty comfortable saying his ceiling is 80/800/5, maybe he'll have a career year that eclipses those at some point, not the type of low probability bet I'm looking to make though. Can that help you stay competitive? Sure. Will it help you win titles? No. I'd rather have a guy that coul emerge as a top 10-15 player but may not do anything than a guy I know isn't better than a weekly top 30 option. David Gettis is one that sticks out in my mind.

I admit I'd like to see Clyde the Glide step up here. At least that way I did not waste a 5th round rookie pick last year ;)

I'd not give much for the chances of Naanee. He didn't do much with Cam throwing bombs all over the place last year, I agree he is likely to go to camp as a starter.

In any case Matt Moore is not going to set the world on fire and likely neither is Tannehill this year once the other teams get some film on him (and maybe not even before then).

I like B.J. Cunningham and have been picking him up late in drafts. Ran across this tidbit on the net from sports reporter Joe Rexrode of the Lansing State Journal (admittedly not the most unbiased source):

http://db.lsj.com/blogswp/hey_joe/2012/05/07/draft-review-b-j-cunningham/

Draft review: B.J. Cunningham

Posted on May 7, 2012 by Joe Rexrode

The number is 4.59. I’ll counter it with 459. B.J. Cunningham’s 40 time at the combine in Indy was 4.59, and it’s apparently the main reason he slid to the Miami Dolphins in the sixth round — pick No. 183 overall. I’ll make another one of those face-painting bets right now. If he doesn’t catch at least 459 passes in his NFL career, I’ll apply Dolphins colors and lead with my face — maybe even wear an A.J. Duhe jersey and talk some trash — at Ford Field the next time Miami visits. And you know I’ll do it.

Of all the NFL outcomes for MSU players this spring, Cunningham’s is the one I really don’t get. And it’s not just because he set a bunch of records at a school known for producing great receivers — though we should review those records quickly. He’s tops in catches (218) and yards (3,086), along with 100-yard receiving games in one season (eight). He also tied the single-season receptions mark of 79 as a senior.

No, it’s just that Cunningham can play the game. He got markedly better each season at MSU and looks to me like a prototypical NFL possession receiver. He’ll certainly have an early chance to help Miami, which went heavy on offense in this draft — QB Ryan Tannehill in the first round, then OT Jonathan Martin, with TE Martin Egnew, RB Lamar Miller, Cunningham and WR Rishard Matthews coming later. Brandon Marshall is off to the Bears, so it’s Davone Bess and a lot of opportunity on that roster.

There is understandably some skepticism about the low-round wideouts in Miami, and Cunningham had a rough start to mini-camp, but just watch. The guy has “old man game” as a receiver, all the little tricks to set up defensive backs and create space for himself. Plus a big body, strength and hands. And it’s not like he can’t run. If I were ranking the six MSU draftees on their chances of sticking and having long, productive NFL careers, I would start the list with Cunningham. There will be no need to track down any aqua paint.

Maybe I'm the only Miami fan that thinks this way but I think Gates will be a bust and might not make the team. If Lamar Miller replaces him as a kick returner he is a one trick pony, run deep, which isn't going to be the staple of this offense. I think Bess has a big catch year, but will he get the TD's ? I'd say a surprise comes out of Cunningham, Moore, or Moye. Egnew might be the best fantasy wise long term that is currently on the roster.

Starting three would be Bess, Hartline & Naanee?

Does Bess's role really change?

Why not Hartline as the main go-to?

Gates did not advance last year, so maybe Cunningham but why is he as a 6th round prospect any better than Matthews who was picked in the 7th? Matthews was 91/1,364/8TD in his senior year at Nevada, he must have something.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1762335/rishard-matthews

Also maybe the TE shows up in this offense, there's Egnew and he may get some targets, no?

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1724614/michael-egnew

Maybe I'm the only Miami fan that thinks this way but I think Gates will be a bust and might not make the team. If Lamar Miller replaces him as a kick returner he is a one trick pony, run deep, which isn't going to be the staple of this offense. I think Bess has a big catch year, but will he get the TD's ? I'd say a surprise comes out of Cunningham, Moore, or Moye. Egnew might be the best fantasy wise long term that is currently on the roster.
Oh, Gates may not pan out, but he is the one with the physical upside to emerge from the group. Given where he was drafted I'd say bust would be unfair though, he was a dice roll to see if he could develop.

Oh, Gates may not pan out, but he is the one with the physical upside to emerge from the group. Given where he was drafted I'd say bust would be unfair though, he was a dice roll to see if he could develop.
this is what i see. Doesn't take much for him to catch a few bombs here and there to give him some value.

Great thread topic and I'm going Cunningham... but this isn't a pretty situation... Bess probably will have the best numbers this year though

Cunningham.

That's my gamble in this open tryout.

None of the guys on the roster before the draft are guaranteed anything. This might as well be an open casting call.

I hope Cunningham has his mouth firmly planted on Tannehill's butt as soon as mini camps start.

As I said earlier, my roll of the dice is on Cunningham (Bess seems the clear possession guy though). There is a gaping hole where Marshall used to be and the returning MIA WR's are uninspiring, imo, partially why I'm going with Cunningham. I may actually hedge and pick up Matthews as well. I'd rather take the (cheap) gamble on an unknown than go with guys proven to be uninspiring (like Hartline and Naanee).

And I can definitely see the same case being made for Gates since he was limited last season. No real argument there. I do find it interesting that he will be turning 26 next month. Older than I expected.

I think people are sleeping on Gates a bit. I think he's the one guy here who could be exceptional.

Cunningham feels like your typical mediocre late round WR.

Could be wrong here, but if Gates can be even average in terms of routes/hands then he could be a breakout player.

My personal rankings (more so redraft/keeper wise as opposed to Dynasty)

#1: Davone Bess. Not flashy but a solid WR2 option in PPR leagues. Has produced with a variety of different QBs and should be a target that Tannehill is comfortable checking to.

#2: Brian Hartline. Inconsistent but has the best "ability" on the team. Good route runner, capable of getting past DBs deep (sneaky speed I call it). He's struggled to stay healthy though but has potential to get 60+ catches if given the opportunity.

#3: Jeff Fuller. Struggled as a Senior but reportedly had 1st Round grades after his Junior season. Knows the QB, Coach, and System. I think a lot of people are sleeping on this guy, especially in Dynasty formats.

#4: Legedu Naanee. Will be given the opportunity but I don't think he'll do much with it. Strikes me as a role player best suited as a real life WR4.

#5: Clyde Gates. Has speed but that doesn't mean a whole lot to me. I don't think he's another coming of Mike Wallace and have concerns about him learning a new offense (coming from a D2 school in Abilene Christian) and already trying to play through an injury that limited his overall game.

#6: B.J. Cunningham. Probably a stasher in Dynasty leagues but I think he'll struggle to see the field in his rookie season. I'd be surprised if he caught more than 15-20 passes this season.

The only guy I'd probably draft would be Bess. Hartline and Fuller would be late round flyers for me and I'd let somebody else take a chance on Gates.

Good topic. Thanks. I don't closely follow MIA so I appreciate the input. Obviously the loss of bmarsh leaves a hole for a potential late pick that could pay off well. I really don't have an opinion at this point on these guys but am looking forward to the comments. I will say this as a Ram fan: Looking at that group makes me feel just a bit better about what we are dealing with at WR.
I didn't think the Rams problem was talent to much as overcoming injury after injury last season.

Safe pick is Bess I guess, as mentioned above he has a good shot at 70 catches. But I'd put my money on Gates, as he has the most upside by far from my point of view. Guy played hurt all season his rookie year and has a unique skill set for this team. You can get him cheap too, so there isn't a ton of risk involved. That's who I'm targeting.

My personal rankings (more so redraft/keeper wise as opposed to Dynasty)#1: Davone Bess. Not flashy but a solid WR2 option in PPR leagues. Has produced with a variety of different QBs and should be a target that Tannehill is comfortable checking to.#2: Brian Hartline. Inconsistent but has the best "ability" on the team. Good route runner, capable of getting past DBs deep (sneaky speed I call it). He's struggled to stay healthy though but has potential to get 60+ catches if given the opportunity.#3: Jeff Fuller. Struggled as a Senior but reportedly had 1st Round grades after his Junior season. Knows the QB, Coach, and System. I think a lot of people are sleeping on this guy, especially in Dynasty formats.#4: Legedu Naanee. Will be given the opportunity but I don't think he'll do much with it. Strikes me as a role player best suited as a real life WR4.#5: Clyde Gates. Has speed but that doesn't mean a whole lot to me. I don't think he's another coming of Mike Wallace and have concerns about him learning a new offense (coming from a D2 school in Abilene Christian) and already trying to play through an injury that limited his overall game.#6: B.J. Cunningham. Probably a stasher in Dynasty leagues but I think he'll struggle to see the field in his rookie season. I'd be surprised if he caught more than 15-20 passes this season.The only guy I'd probably draft would be Bess. Hartline and Fuller would be late round flyers for me and I'd let somebody else take a chance on Gates.
Nice post, agree on Fuller

I think a lot of owners are missing the boat on Bess. He should have a good year and probably has good upside as the clear WR1 on the team now with Marshall gone and a potential upgrade at QB if Tannehill pans out.

GM Jeff Ireland on the status of his receiving corps: “As it stands right now we’re going in with a young group. I’ve got a couple of players with a lot of experience in Davone Bess and Brian Hartline. They have a tremendous amount of experience at the position. We’ve got a couple of other guys, Legudu Naanee, who looked really good in the on-field sessions, and we’ve got some young guys who are very good football players.“We’ve got draft choices, we’ve got Marlon Moore and Roberto Wallace that have shown well on this football team. (Clyde) Gates still has to develop. We’ve got a lot of young guys that have a developmental ceiling, they haven’t developed yet, and we’re going to see that this year hopefully.”on the status of his team heading toward training camp: “We have a lot of young players. We’re building. You never know what to expect as long as we make progress. You hope to be surprised and they come along faster than you ask, but you have to have a little patience.
http://blogs.palmbeachpost.com/thedailydolphin/2012/05/19/catching-up-notes-and-quotes-from-fins-weekend-media-availability/

GM Jeff Ireland on the status of his receiving corps: "As it stands right now we're going in with a young group. I've got a couple of players with a lot of experience in Davone Bess and Brian Hartline. They have a tremendous amount of experience at the position. We've got a couple of other guys, Legudu Naanee, who looked really good in the on-field sessions, and we've got some young guys who are very good football players.

"We've got draft choices, we've got Marlon Moore and Roberto Wallace that have shown well on this football team. (Clyde) Gates still has to develop. We've got a lot of young guys that have a developmental ceiling, they haven't developed yet, and we're going to see that this year hopefully."

on the status of his team heading toward training camp: "We have a lot of young players. We're building. You never know what to expect as long as we make progress. You hope to be surprised and they come along faster than you ask, but you have to have a little patience.
http://blogs.palmbea...a-availability/
Nice LC...based on this I would feel good about Bess, feels like Hartline will carve out some numbers, we've seen Naanee and I don't think anything has changed...I still like Marlon Moore a lot. He's been looking great on the field playing in an offense much closer to what he payed in during college. I like his upside to take a starting spot later into the season.

:goodposting:

This was posted to the MiamiDolphinsDraft.com site today:

Wide Receiver

1. Davone Bess

2. Brian Hartline

3. Legedu Naanee

4. Rishard Matthews

5. Marlon Moore

6. Clyde Gates

JUST MISSED: BJ Cunningham and Julius Pruitt

Notes:

-I’m putting Rishard Matthews awfully high, as I’m expecting him to be very dynamic and unique by training camp. He could be in many formations throughout the year and could be one of the few late round impacts in the NFL this year.

-Marlon Moore is maybe a surprise here, especially with BJ Cunningham, a 2012 draft pick, not on the depth chart. But I picked Moore over Cunningham in particular for three reasons: 1. Cunningham has struggled with drops so far in OTAs (something Coach Philbin hates most about receivers) and has small hands, meaning he may not improve there over his career. 2. Moore has experience in a more west-coast functioning offense when he was at Fresno State and 3. Based on an interview I heard with him, he seems to have the right attitude that Joe Philbin will fight for when he gets his say in the depth chart making.

-Clyde Gates is not a guy I’d put on this roster at all, but based on Philbin’s comments about how he just needs work and Jeff Ireland’s previous love for Gates’s potential, he isn’t likely to be cut after just one year. That may mean losing out on a 6th round draft pick or Julius Pruitt, who has won over many veterans.

-On Pruitt as well, he won’t be eligible for the practice squad (to my knowledge), so he’ll be a goner if he doesn’t make the team. I think he’s developed nicely and I’d actually choose him for the 6th spot if it was up to me, but he has very long odds, having to beat out the Top 6 now as well as Cunningham, Roberto Wallace, and Jeff Fuller.

http://www.miamidolphinsdraft.com/2012/06/miami-dolphins-roster-projection-version-1-0/

NIce to see someone besides myself is a fan of or Rishard Matthews.

For PPR leagues Bess may be a steal. There is the chance that he becomes like Mike Thomas. Mike didn't adjust to his new role as a "#1". All though Hartline may be their #1 (I guess), Bess will garner more attention. FFC doesn't even have him as a top 62 drafted WR, so you can draft him for literally nothing and take a chance that he gets 80 receptions.

Complete mess for us fantasy owners.

Luckily I dont have much invested - I picked up CLyde as a FA flyer in a 45 player dynasty roster, so the stakes aint exactly high.

Aside from that there is absolutely no consistancy of opinion here. Even on this board it is unuual not to pick up some kind of underlying trend. Given the unknowns I ams staying well clear in all formats until I have seen some meaningful time on the field.

Users who are viewing this thread