What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

my observations from Broncos OTAs (1 Viewer)

Cecil Lammey

Footballguy
I was out at Dove Valley for the kickoff of the Manning era here in Denver. Over 60 media people attended this OTA which had a very training camp like feel. John Fox and Peyton Manning spoke to the media after practice. Here's what I scratched in my notebook today. Make sure to follow me on Twitter for more updates: http://twitter.com/cecillammey

Practice notes:

Brock Osweiler’s footwork looked better today. In rookie minicamps he threw flatfooted, but today he showed some bounce in his step.

Knowshon Moreno had great burst in drills. However, rarely saw him carry the ball in team drills. Instead, Moreno was off to the side running sprints by himself.

I liked the way Ronnie Hillman looked in the ball today. Showed good concentration and caught every pass thrown at him. Lower body looks strong.

Peyton Manning showed immediate leadership and command of the huddle. It wasn’t long before he was yelling at his new teammates to “get back to the same spot” or “get in the same alignment!” His teammates responded positively to the leadership as his words command a lot of respect.

Adam Weber threw with more zip today than Caleb Hanie.

Too often Hanie was trying to aim throws and his motion was slower and more deliberate than the other QBs. His passes also tended to float a little more than Weber, Osweiler, or Manning.

Eric Decker looked energized.

Mark Dell dropped a pass early in practice from Manning and it didn’t go over well with the veteran QB. Expectations so much different with Manning leading the way. All his passes were put on the mark, the catches should be much easier than they were with Tebow spraying all over the field.

Brandon Stokely of course showed great chemistry with Manning.

Joel Dreesen made some nice plays where he had to stretch out to catch Manning passes.

Demaryius Thomas looked completely focused. Showed good hands, route adjustment, and sideline awareness. He also got better separation than Decker did against coverage.

Joe Mays was able to bat a pass away over the middle intended for Dreesen.

Nate Irving almost had an interception on an out route thrown by Caleb Hanie.

Brock Osweiler did a good job of directing traffic on a pass play. Motioned to Gerell Robinson to cut inside then hit him in stride for a 15-yd gain.

D’Andre Goodwin dropped a beautifully thrown deep pass from Osweiler.

Eric Decker caught a low and away pass from Manning. Had to slide on his backside to gather in the catch.

Manning got in trouble once because of coverage, moved around then found Demaryius Thomas open. Interesting to note Decker was open as well, but he went to DT.

Virgil Green had a nice catch and run to show off his athleticism and run after the catch skills.

Caleb Hanie threw a “parking lot” throw. Was way out of bounds, worst throw of the day.

Jeremiah Johnson had a big carry where he bounced outside and turned on the speed. Showed good quickness, clean cuts, and acceleration.

Mark Dell made a nice high catch in the middle of the field. Took a hit after the catch. Caleb Hanie hung him out to dry on that one.

Osweiler was late with a throw, ended up getting tipped by Duke Ihenacho.

Broncos had two false starts in a row late in team drills. Manning was not happy with RT Orlando Franklin, then RG Manny Ramirez.

Champ Bailey was able to tip away a pass from Manning intended for Eric Decker. Manning double clutched the ball, waiting for Decker to separate, then tried to fit it in anyway.

Willis McGahee looked very large compared to the other RBs in camp.

Osweiler looked good throwing on the run. Rolled right and hit Mark Dell on the sideline.

Tracy Porter came to play. He was all over the field, knocking away passes, making (would be) tackles, and stayed with receivers in stride.

Jason Hill made some nice plays today. Had a grab deep where he was able to show off his long speed.

Mario Fannin looked swift again. Coming back from his knee injury it will be interesting to see if he makes the team. Great size/speed combination.

...Eric Decker caught a low and away pass from Manning. Had to slide on his backside to gather in the catch. ...Tracy Porter came to play. He was all over the field, knocking away passes, making (would be) tackles, and stayed with receivers in stride. ...
I have a thought and a question, if I may:- Porter, enjoy this CB Broncos fans, he was a Saints favorite; he's a leader and a playmaker.- About Manning, in case I'm missing something the above is the only note where there's any suggestion re: arm strength or quality of throws or the like (and that note's not too, too positive). So.... how's his arm looking after all that's been said and done, are all systems go?Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Anything on Julius Thomas?
he had a procedure on his ankle about a month ago....in walking boot today. Interesting to note he was working out with Peyton Manning at Valor high school after Broncos got their HOF QB....then decided to have surgery #curious ....should be ready for training camp.

Manning's arm showed good velocity. Plus he did not experience arm fatigue as practice went on.

All signs good so far.

Excellent stuff as usual Cecil.Would like to see a bit more IDP info, though.And nothing on Jacob Tamme?
mostly watch skill positions in practice, sorry! Lots of stuff going on, and prefer offensive side, plus more people want to talk about that side on my radio show. Tamme notes....showed good route running ability as classic move TE, Manning commented after practice it was good to have him and Stokely here. Tamme looks in passes, catches in stride and turns up field quickly.

This is one of the real strengths of the pre-season Shark Pool. Great observations and concise descriptions. Thanks once again Cecil. Look forward to more. I probably owe you a beer for all the info you have shared, whether you realize it or not. If we ever get a chance to meet at the draft or some event, the first round is on me.

:banned:

From a fantasy football point of view (I'm a Charger fan), I am excited about the possibilities this year. What a difference Manning should make on the field with focus, accountability and teamwork.

I was out at Dove Valley for the kickoff of the Manning era here in Denver. Over 60 media people attended this OTA which had a very training camp like feel. John Fox and Peyton Manning spoke to the media after practice. Here's what I scratched in my notebook today. Make sure to follow me on Twitter for more updates: http://twitter.com/cecillammey

Practice notes:

Brock Osweiler’s footwork looked better today. In rookie minicamps he threw flatfooted, but today he showed some bounce in his step.

Knowshon Moreno had great burst in drills. However, rarely saw him carry the ball in team drills. Instead, Moreno was off to the side running sprints by himself.

I liked the way Ronnie Hillman looked in the ball today. Showed good concentration and caught every pass thrown at him. Lower body looks strong.

Peyton Manning showed immediate leadership and command of the huddle. It wasn’t long before he was yelling at his new teammates to “get back to the same spot” or “get in the same alignment!” His teammates responded positively to the leadership as his words command a lot of respect.

Adam Weber threw with more zip today than Caleb Hanie.

Too often Hanie was trying to aim throws and his motion was slower and more deliberate than the other QBs. His passes also tended to float a little more than Weber, Osweiler, or Manning.

Eric Decker looked energized.

Mark Dell dropped a pass early in practice from Manning and it didn’t go over well with the veteran QB. Expectations so much different with Manning leading the way. All his passes were put on the mark, the catches should be much easier than they were with Tebow spraying all over the field.

Brandon Stokely of course showed great chemistry with Manning.

Joel Dreesen made some nice plays where he had to stretch out to catch Manning passes.

Demaryius Thomas looked completely focused. Showed good hands, route adjustment, and sideline awareness. He also got better separation than Decker did against coverage.

Joe Mays was able to bat a pass away over the middle intended for Dreesen.

Nate Irving almost had an interception on an out route thrown by Caleb Hanie.

Brock Osweiler did a good job of directing traffic on a pass play. Motioned to Gerell Robinson to cut inside then hit him in stride for a 15-yd gain.

D’Andre Goodwin dropped a beautifully thrown deep pass from Osweiler.

Eric Decker caught a low and away pass from Manning. Had to slide on his backside to gather in the catch.

Manning got in trouble once because of coverage, moved around then found Demaryius Thomas open. Interesting to note Decker was open as well, but he went to DT.

Virgil Green had a nice catch and run to show off his athleticism and run after the catch skills.

Caleb Hanie threw a “parking lot” throw. Was way out of bounds, worst throw of the day.

Jeremiah Johnson had a big carry where he bounced outside and turned on the speed. Showed good quickness, clean cuts, and acceleration.

Mark Dell made a nice high catch in the middle of the field. Took a hit after the catch. Caleb Hanie hung him out to dry on that one.

Osweiler was late with a throw, ended up getting tipped by Duke Ihenacho.

Broncos had two false starts in a row late in team drills. Manning was not happy with RT Orlando Franklin, then RG Manny Ramirez.

Champ Bailey was able to tip away a pass from Manning intended for Eric Decker. Manning double clutched the ball, waiting for Decker to separate, then tried to fit it in anyway.

Willis McGahee looked very large compared to the other RBs in camp.

Osweiler looked good throwing on the run. Rolled right and hit Mark Dell on the sideline.

Tracy Porter came to play. He was all over the field, knocking away passes, making (would be) tackles, and stayed with receivers in stride.

Jason Hill made some nice plays today. Had a grab deep where he was able to show off his long speed.

Mario Fannin looked swift again. Coming back from his knee injury it will be interesting to see if he makes the team. Great size/speed combination.
Education of the shark pool 101 lol :goodposting:

Good stuff. Definitely curious to hear how Robinson performs, as I grabbed him off waivers in a ton of leagues.

I think he's one of the most intriguing UDFAs in this rookie class. He was immensely productive last year and I can't believe he wasn't drafted.

This is one of the real strengths of the pre-season Shark Pool. Great observations and concise descriptions. Thanks once again Cecil. Look forward to more. I probably owe you a beer for all the info you have shared, whether you realize it or not. If we ever get a chance to meet at the draft or some event, the first round is on me. :banned:
done! :banned:

From a fantasy football point of view (I'm a Charger fan), I am excited about the possibilities this year. What a difference Manning should make on the field with focus, accountability and teamwork.
I'm calling DT his favorite target right now, and the one with the most upside. He can get separation that Decker can't. Better target in the red zone. Yes, Decker has better hands, but it doesn't matter if you can't get open. Give me 90 catches for DT, 80 catches for Decker, around 32 passing TDs for Manning in 2012.

Joe Mays was able to bat a pass away over the middle intended for Dreesen. Nate Irving almost had an interception on an out route thrown by Caleb Hanie.
Who's starting as MLB ?
no *official* depth chart right now....however Mays is likely to begin the season as the starter...they WANT Irving to take over, but it's a great unknown if he'll be able to do that. Irving is better in coverage, doesn't guess vs the run as much as Mays does.

Good stuff. Definitely curious to hear how Robinson performs, as I grabbed him off waivers in a ton of leagues. I think he's one of the most intriguing UDFAs in this rookie class. He was immensely productive last year and I can't believe he wasn't drafted.
with the jam packed WR corps I think Robinson sneaks through to the practice squad. Looked good in rookie minicamp, and followed that up with another strong day today!

I am so lucky to live in denver and thus have the opportunity to listen to cecil on the radio on a weekly basis (more than weekly during the season). You are the man Cecil! Keep up the good work and dont be frustrated when I call with a who do i start 'andre roberts or masseqoui' type question this fall!

I am so lucky to live in denver and thus have the opportunity to listen to cecil on the radio on a weekly basis (more than weekly during the season). You are the man Cecil! Keep up the good work and dont be frustrated when I call with a who do i start 'andre roberts or masseqoui' type question this fall!
:lol: thanks for listening bro!

I'm calling DT his favorite target right now, and the one with the most upside. He can get separation that Decker can't. Better target in the red zone. Yes, Decker has better hands, but it doesn't matter if you can't get open. Give me 90 catches for DT, 80 catches for Decker, around 32 passing TDs for Manning in 2012.
I'll take the under on all three, but especially on the TD passes.

love your stuff Cecil....

quick question...

I am curious about how much/if any pressure Manning is seeing during the drills.....what is the halo like around him...I am assuming they don't want anybody with bad intentions to be getting within sniffing distance of him right now...so obviously I would expect him to look amazing all summer to the point of where it almost gets sickening. Not saying that in a bad way, neccessarily, but I wonder when real game type pressure starts being applied how that may affect timing with receivers, etc if he is not feeling the type of pressure he will once it gets teed up for real and people that are getting paid to hit him start coming after him. He really hasn't seen "game type" pressure in over a year.

Thanks.

'Stinkin Ref said:
love your stuff Cecil....quick question...I am curious about how much/if any pressure Manning is seeing during the drills.....what is the halo like around him...I am assuming they don't want anybody with bad intentions to be getting within sniffing distance of him right now...so obviously I would expect him to look amazing all summer to the point of where it almost gets sickening. Not saying that in a bad way, neccessarily, but I wonder when real game type pressure starts being applied how that may affect timing with receivers, etc if he is not feeling the type of pressure he will once it gets teed up for real and people that are getting paid to hit him start coming after him. He really hasn't seen "game type" pressure in over a year. Thanks.
It's certainly a good question, but remember I was looking for velocity and arm fatigue. The pressure question is a great unknown as QBs can't get hit in practice. Even Justin Bannan commented today that he wouldn't even graze Manning "I love my job" he said followed by an outburst from the media. We're all working off the assumption that Manning is healthy. We won't know until he starts getting hit.

Cecil -- First, great info! As others have already pointed out, it's posts like this that really make the Shark Pool worthwhile. What would be even better is if we had a Cecil at every single training camp ... although I suppose 32 Cecils might have been a little too much work for Ma and Pa Lammey. :shock: :lmao: On a more serious note, I know it's too early at this point, but as training camp and practices get going, I'd love to hear your thoughts on Hillman's progress -- particularly how he looks as a blocker (since that's going to be key to getting significant playing time in Peyton's backfield) and what you think of his prospects of being the #1 RB either initially or at some point during the season.

Cecil -- First, great info! As others have already pointed out, it's posts like this that really make the Shark Pool worthwhile. What would be even better is if we had a Cecil at every single training camp ... although I suppose 32 Cecils might have been a little too much work for Ma and Pa Lammey. :shock: :lmao:
That could be an entire sea of "Road Runner Fade" haircuts. And that would be, in a word, awesome. :fro:
On a more serious note, I know it's too early at this point, but as training camp and practices get going, I'd love to hear your thoughts on Hillman's progress -- particularly how he looks as a blocker (since that's going to be key to getting significant playing time in Peyton's backfield) and what you think of his prospects of being the #1 RB either initially or at some point during the season.
I second this. All in on Ronnie(relatively speaking) in a couple leagues. Seriously interested in how he's looking at the peripheral stuff, since that's what could keep him on/off the field.

One of my favorite off season shark pool threads!

I will echo what others are saying. It would be nice to have this type of info coming from other teams. A man can dream.

cecil...the other thing I would like to see if you can kind of get a feel for is

What is the plan for Manning in the preseason games? It is obvious that he won't be touched until then. How much do you think they will play him? On one hand, you would think that even though he is Peyton freakin Manning, he could probably use a little more actual game time heading into this year than he has needed in the past. On the other hand, they have stated there is no plan B so they will want to keep him from getting hit as much as possible. The 3rd preseason game (dress rehersal) is against a tough SF defense.

'Lambert said:
Cecil -- First, great info! As others have already pointed out, it's posts like this that really make the Shark Pool worthwhile. What would be even better is if we had a Cecil at every single training camp ... although I suppose 32 Cecils might have been a little too much work for Ma and Pa Lammey. :shock: :lmao: On a more serious note, I know it's too early at this point, but as training camp and practices get going, I'd love to hear your thoughts on Hillman's progress -- particularly how he looks as a blocker (since that's going to be key to getting significant playing time in Peyton's backfield) and what you think of his prospects of being the #1 RB either initially or at some point during the season.
know this about Hillman...they drafted him to replace McGahee (eventually)If he's good in pass pro then that could be week one. he could take some time to get in as the starter like Portis did years ago (week 5 or week 6). Either way it will still be a RBBC that has a "power" component. This year it could be Hillman 1, McGahee 1a -- in 2013 it could be Hillman 1, Fannin 2I could see Hillman getting around 225 carries, with McGahee getting somewhere in the 125 range mostly on short yardage and goalline situations. That's if Hillman begins the year as the starter. With the mileage on McGahee it's unlikely he plays through the entire year injury free.

'Lambert said:
know this about Hillman...they drafted him to replace McGahee (eventually)If he's good in pass pro then that could be week one. he could take some time to get in as the starter like Portis did years ago (week 5 or week 6). Either way it will still be a RBBC that has a "power" component. This year it could be Hillman 1, McGahee 1a -- in 2013 it could be Hillman 1, Fannin 2I could see Hillman getting around 225 carries, with McGahee getting somewhere in the 125 range mostly on short yardage and goalline situations. That's if Hillman begins the year as the starter. With the mileage on McGahee it's unlikely he plays through the entire year injury free.
No love for Moreno?

'JaxBill said:
So who is the leader on the depth chart at TE, Dreesen or Tamme?
They don't like us commenting on DC stuff right now, but I will say this. First, I saw Tamme. Then I saw Dreesen. ALSO, both will be used quite a bit in this offense. Tamme as the lead receiver, move TE...lets say 60 catches for him. Dreesen as the blocker, red zone target...lets say 25 catches for him. The reason? Outside of Decker/DThomas they don't have much in the WR corps. I expect Bubba Caldwell to be the slot but his looks may be limited.

'JaxBill said:
They don't like us commenting on DC stuff right now, but I will say this. First, I saw Tamme. Then I saw Dreesen. ALSO, both will be used quite a bit in this offense. Tamme as the lead receiver, move TE...lets say 60 catches for him. Dreesen as the blocker, red zone target...lets say 25 catches for him. The reason? Outside of Decker/DThomas they don't have much in the WR corps. I expect Bubba Caldwell to be the slot but his looks may be limited.
What about Julius Thomas or Virgil Green?

'joefootball said:
How does Fannin look and does he have any chance to contribute this year?
Fannin looked good. Size/speed combination is nice. Ran with good intent, made some cuts, good considering he's only 9 months removed from his injury.

'Stinkin Ref said:
cecil...the other thing I would like to see if you can kind of get a feel for is What is the plan for Manning in the preseason games? It is obvious that he won't be touched until then. How much do you think they will play him? On one hand, you would think that even though he is Peyton freakin Manning, he could probably use a little more actual game time heading into this year than he has needed in the past. On the other hand, they have stated there is no plan B so they will want to keep him from getting hit as much as possible. The 3rd preseason game (dress rehersal) is against a tough SF defense.
Too early to really know but I imagine they'll ease him in. first game one series, second game one quarter, third game one half, fourth game nothing. just a guess, but the best we've got right now.

No love for Moreno?
He may not even make the roster. RB corps is pretty cramped. McGahee, Hillman are locks. Moreno is fighting with Ball (who is a decent blocker and has special teams ability) and Mario Fannin for a roster spot. I feel Broncos only keep four backs. Moreno is good receiver which helps, and only makes $850k this year which also helps.

'JaxBill said:
What about Julius Thomas or Virgil Green?
Green is suspended for PEDs, will miss six games I believe....and not going to appeal it last I heard. Thomas was catching passes from Peyton Manning after he was first signed, then chose (??) to have ankle surgery He was in a walking boot at OTAs. Dude still have great upside but needs to 1) stay healthy, 2) develop raw skills, 3) wait for Tamme or Dreesen injury, and 4) get better at blocking.

Outside of Decker/DThomas they don't have much in the WR corps. I expect Bubba Caldwell to be the slot but his looks may be limited.
Any specific reason for saying that? He have some drops early? He wasn't mentioned till now and I am curious about him and that #3 wideout so please share any insight there through OTA's and TC.

Thomas was catching passes from Peyton Manning after he was first signed, then chose (??) to have ankle surgery He was in a walking boot at OTAs.
Interesting to note he was working out with Peyton Manning at Valor high school after Broncos got their HOF QB....then decided to have surgery #curious
Could you play devil's advocate and speculate on a couple reasons why he might've had the surgery?

Users who are viewing this thread