What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** OFFICIAL Google Nexus 7 Tablet Thread *** (1 Viewer)

Google glass available for pre-order at the io conference for $1500. Should be shipping next year.

Google glass available for pre-order at the io conference for $1500. Should be shipping next year.
It turns out an "Explorer Edition" of the glasses is available for pre-order—but only to people attending the Google I/O conference. The glasses will cost $1,500, and ship early next year.Brin stressed it is not yet a consumer device. This is for testers, to help Google make the product better.

google really pushing the envelope here. apple winning the stockholder race, google winning the innovation race. :thumbup:

Interesting to note that Google actually upstaged their tablet unveiling with Project Glass, a product they clearly state is "not yet a consumer device". I think the Microsoft Surface stole Google's thunder here so they had to scramble to up the "wow factor".

google really pushing the envelope here. apple winning the stockholder race, google winning the innovation race. :thumbup:
With Project Glass? If so, it's disingenuous to make the comparison since Apple doesn't promote it's unreleased products. We don't know what Apple has in their labs, only what they are actually selling millions of.

Wish this was going to be available in stores....hate to have to pay shipping.....and it looks like they are just automatically hitting you with 2 day shipping for $14.....so add that to the cost.

'goonsquad said:
I think the Microsoft Surface stole Google's thunder here so they had to scramble to up the "wow factor".
I don't understand this comment at all.These are two completely different markets. The Nexus tablet is meant to challenge the very successful Fire/Nook tablets in the sub-$200 market. The Surface is meant to compete with 10"+ tablets and even ultrabooks. I expect the Surface to sell for $700-$900.FWIW I don't think any tablet in the past year has had any "wow" factor. The Transformer Prime has amazing battery life. The Fire was introduced at a compelling price point. The latest ipad has amazing screen resolution. But all these are iterative advancements, not really revolutionary changes.

'Jaysus said:
Goonquad> Go Away.
I don't think that's fair.He makes a good point with regard to the google glasses imo. I'm only really interested in real products that are about to launch. Vaporware is much less interesting to me. Which is another reason why I'm confused why goonsquad thought some microsoft product tease with no price and no release date has any effect on a google/asus tablet that's about to ship in a few weeks. Comparing apples and oranges(pun intended).

'Bengalsfan said:
So thoughts about the Nexus 7 vs Kindle Fire vs Nook Tablet?
I hate to say it but I was more impressed with what Asus had done at CES before they partnered with Google to change the Memo to the Nexus...http://ces.cnet.com/8301-33378_1-57355665/asus-memo-370t-changes-the-game-by-offering-four-cores-for-the-price-of-two/Losing a memory card slot and hdmi output are both huge losses imo. Last year an 8gb device with no memory expansion(Fire) seemed silly to me. In 2012 it's simply ridiculous. Streaming is a nice option to have but there's absolutely no reason modern devices should be crippled with such memory constraints when memory is so cheap.

'tommyGunZ said:
'goonsquad said:
'tommyGunZ said:
With Project Glass? If so, it's disingenuous to make the comparison since Apple doesn't promote it's unreleased products. We don't know what Apple has in their labs, only what they are actually selling millions of.
C'mon bro - SIRI?
Jeeeeeeebus GogGunz. :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

'Bengalsfan said:
I hate to say it but I was more impressed with what Asus had done at CES before they partnered with Google to change the Memo to the Nexus...http://ces.cnet.com/8301-33378_1-57355665/asus-memo-370t-changes-the-game-by-offering-four-cores-for-the-price-of-two/Losing a memory card slot and hdmi output are both huge losses imo. Last year an 8gb device with no memory expansion(Fire) seemed silly to me. In 2012 it's simply ridiculous. Streaming is a nice option to have but there's absolutely no reason modern devices should be crippled with such memory constraints when memory is so cheap.
:goodposting: Lack of memory expansion really put a damper on this for me.

'tommyGunZ said:
'goonsquad said:
'tommyGunZ said:
C'mon bro - SIRI?
The point tommyGunZ is making is very valid. At launch Siri was every bit the version 1.0 product that people howl about when microsoft releases a product not quite ready for prime time. "It will get better over time" was even the same excuse microsoft has been using for decades now.In fact if you go to their website right now apple says "Siri is currently in beta and we’ll continue to improve it over time."http://www.apple.com/iphone/features/siri-faq.html... and according to many of the iPersuasion Siri was the biggest reason to upgrade to an iphon4s. So apple may not promote it's unreleased products, but it does promote and charge for its beta products. It seems to me some are splitting hairs which is better for the consumer.

'Bengalsfan said:
And the part that's most frustrating is an expansion slot is so inexpensive to include! It's such an obvious money grab to "encourage" the user to upgrade next year with a model that has only slightly more memory.Why all these devices don't start at 32mb or even 64mb is mind boggling. If you and I can purchase 32mb for less than $20 just imagine how low the price for memory is for samsung/apple/etc.

'tommyGunZ said:
'goonsquad said:
'tommyGunZ said:
C'mon bro - SIRI?
The point tommyGunZ is making is very valid. At launch Siri was every bit the version 1.0 product that people howl about when microsoft releases a product not quite ready for prime time. "It will get better over time" was even the same excuse microsoft has been using for decades now.In fact if you go to their website right now apple says "Siri is currently in beta and we’ll continue to improve it over time."http://www.apple.com/iphone/features/siri-faq.html... and according to many of the iPersuasion Siri was the biggest reason to upgrade to an iphon4s. So apple may not promote it's unreleased products, but it does promote and charge for its beta products. It seems to me some are splitting hairs which is better for the consumer.
The iPhone 4 and 4s have more than just Siri as the difference. Like single core vs. dual, better optics etc. The 4s is a better handset with or without Siri. Siri while not fully baked yet is still a great innovative feature. Consumers who bought the 4s for Siri alone got a better device hardware wise. It's not like Apple cheated them with a not fully baked technology. Like any handset OS. GogGunZ likes to pick the low hanging Engadget troll fruit in any iOS vs. Android, heck add any Apple thread to boot. He is just mental that way.

'tommyGunZ said:
'goonsquad said:
'tommyGunZ said:
C'mon bro - SIRI?
The point tommyGunZ is making is very valid. At launch Siri was every bit the version 1.0 product that people howl about when microsoft releases a product not quite ready for prime time. "It will get better over time" was even the same excuse microsoft has been using for decades now.In fact if you go to their website right now apple says "Siri is currently in beta and we’ll continue to improve it over time."

http://www.apple.com/iphone/features/siri-faq.html

... and according to many of the iPersuasion Siri was the biggest reason to upgrade to an iphon4s. So apple may not promote it's unreleased products, but it does promote and charge for its beta products. It seems to me some are splitting hairs which is better for the consumer.
Not even close to the same thing. Siri, by it's very nature, needed to be released in beta to gather live data from user to "train" it. Apple does not, in general, release beta products to the general public.
Why Siri had to start in beta

Posted on December 6, 2011

Bashing Siri, the iPhone 4S virtual assistant, seems to be fashionable these days.  Mat Honan declares it “Apple’s broken promise“. CNN reports on Siri’s alleged anti-abortion bias (via Danny Sullivan). Colbert weighs in. John Gruber remarks how weird it is for Apple’s flagship new product to be “so rough around the edges”, yet notes that it will be easier to improve voice recognition while it’s being widely used.

It’s not just easier, it’s the only way!

I worked on speech recognition with IBM Research for nearly six years. We participated in DARPA-sponsored research projects, field trials, and actual product development for various applications: dictation, call centers, automotive, even a classroom assistant for the hearing-impaired. The basic story was always the same: get us more data! (data being in this case transcribed speech recordings). There is even a saying in the speech community: “there is no data like more data“. Some researchers have argued that most of the recent improvements in speech recognition accuracy can be credited to having more and better data, not to better algorithms.

Transcribed speech recording are used to train acoustic models (how sound waveforms relate to phonemes), pronunciation lexicons (how do people actually mis-pronounce words, specially people and place names), language models (spoken phrases rarely conform to the English grammar), and natural language processors. And that for each supported language! More training data means the recognizer can handle more variations in voices, accents, manners of speech, etc. That’s undoubtedly why Nuance for example offers a free dictation app.

It is tempting to consider Siri as some kind of artificial intelligence, who, once trained properly, can answer all sorts of questions.  The reality is that it is a very complex patchwork of subsystems, many of which handcrafted.

To improve Siri, engineers must painstakingly look at the requests that she could not understand (in all languages!) and come up with new rules to cope with them. There are probably many, many gaps like “abortion clinic” in the current implementation, which will be fixed over time. When Apple states “we find places where we can do better, and we will in the coming weeks”, they are plainly describing how this process works.

It is important to understand that unlike Apple’s hardware and app designs, Siri’s software could not have been fine-tuned and thoroughly tested in the lab prior to a glorious release. It had to be released in its current form, to get exposure to as much variability as possible all the way from the acoustics to the interpretation of natural language. For each of the funny questions that Apple’s engineers had anticipated, poor Siri has to endure a hundred others.

If the rumors of a speech-enabled Apple TV are true, then Siri will soon have other challenges. For example, far-field speech recognition is notoriously more difficult than with close-talking microphones. She had better take a head start with the iPhone 4S.

[uPDATE There has been a lot of interest in the article, I thought I would clarify a few things]

-I have no inside information. Everything I wrote about Siri is an educated guess based on my own experience. I may be totally wrong, and I probably missed some important parts of the story.

-I did not mean to imply that Siri’s system is rule-based. I am convinced that it relies heavily on statistical learning. But someone has to train, fine-tune, test and debug statistical algos with new data and new use cases. Sometimes you just throw in the new data and press the “retrain” button. Sometimes you have to dive in and adapt algorithms. And sometimes, in order to squeeze the last few percentage points, you may write some old-fashioned rules, like for Siri’s quirky replies.

-As a few commenters pointed out, Apple has already gathered a lot of data from the previous Siri app. I think they used it to build the best system they could, which is already quite impressive IMO. They had to release it to be able to go even further. New data brings diminishing returns: at some point, 20% or 50% more data is insignificant, you want 10x or 100x more.

'goonsquad said:
I think the Microsoft Surface stole Google's thunder here so they had to scramble to up the "wow factor".
I don't understand this comment at all.These are two completely different markets. The Nexus tablet is meant to challenge the very successful Fire/Nook tablets in the sub-$200 market. The Surface is meant to compete with 10"+ tablets and even ultrabooks. I expect the Surface to sell for $700-$900.FWIW I don't think any tablet in the past year has had any "wow" factor. The Transformer Prime has amazing battery life. The Fire was introduced at a compelling price point. The latest ipad has amazing screen resolution. But all these are iterative advancements, not really revolutionary changes.
I'm looking at it from a marketing angle. None of these products are currently available, so the reason for Microsoft and Google to make these big unveils is to draw attention to themselves and away from their competition. It's no coincidence that Microsoft scheduled an announcement for the Surface just a week before Google's big developer conference and Nexus reveal. They wanted to steal the limelight and trump Google, not just in the eyes o f the consumer but also the press and developer base. And Microsoft was very successful, generating tons of headlines and conversation, mostly VERY positive. So while the Nexus may not directly compete with the Surface, the companies are competing for coverage and Windows 8 is very much trying to compete with Android. I think Google realized that the announcement of a Fire competitor was going to be perceived as lackluster after the Surface demo. There is very little interesting about the Nexus itself, other than the fact that it's made by Google. Look at what is generating all the talk: the Project Glass skydivers.

Last edited by a moderator:
'Bengalsfan said:
And the part that's most frustrating is an expansion slot is so inexpensive to include! It's such an obvious money grab to "encourage" the user to upgrade next year with a model that has only slightly more memory.Why all these devices don't start at 32mb or even 64mb is mind boggling. If you and I can purchase 32mb for less than $20 just imagine how low the price for memory is for samsung/apple/etc.
More :goodposting:

I think this is a pretty sweet product and have told at least 3 people who have come to me asking for tablet advice to hold off on the Fire/Nook and get this unit.

I'm a LITTLE more hesitant to recommend it given it's $199/8GB/NoMiSD.... vs the rumored $159/8GB/MiSD.... that said I still think it's the best tablet at this price point (without having used one) and will likely advise those folks to pull the trigger. :thumbup:

Hell, I might grab one.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think this is a pretty sweet product and have told at least 3 people who have come to me asking for tablet advice to hold off on the Fire/Nook and get this unit. I'm a LITTLE more hesitant to recommend it given it's $199/8GB/NoMiSD.... vs the rumored $159/8GB/MiSD.... that said I still think it's the best tablet at this price point (without having used one) and will likely advise those folks to pull the trigger. :thumbup:Hell, I might grab one.
It's got great specs, but is this gonna be another HP tablet? The lack of expansion makes this a little more e-reader on steroids than a tablet, along with the 7" screen size. Can't argue the price point though. But the lack of expansion kills that as well, being that another tablet with similar specs and price point could have memory expansion to compete with the Nexus in the coming months.

I think this is a pretty sweet product and have told at least 3 people who have come to me asking for tablet advice to hold off on the Fire/Nook and get this unit. I'm a LITTLE more hesitant to recommend it given it's $199/8GB/NoMiSD.... vs the rumored $159/8GB/MiSD.... that said I still think it's the best tablet at this price point (without having used one) and will likely advise those folks to pull the trigger. :thumbup:Hell, I might grab one.
It's got great specs, but is this gonna be another HP tablet? The lack of expansion makes this a little more e-reader on steroids than a tablet, along with the 7" screen size. Can't argue the price point though. But the lack of expansion kills that as well, being that another tablet with similar specs and price point could have memory expansion to compete with the Nexus in the coming months.
Technically the nook has expandable storage at the 199 price point but that matters less to me than running a pure version of Android vs some bastardized shell. Most of my music is streamed nowadays anyway. You can fit a movie or two on the tablet... that's plenty as long as you've got a means to load more on as needed. And

Technically the nook has expandable storage at the 199 price point but that matters less to me than running a pure version of Android vs some bastardized shell. Most of my music is streamed nowadays anyway. You can fit a movie or two on the tablet... that's plenty as long as you've got a means to load more on as needed. And
My buddy has a first or second Gen Nook rooted with CyanMod. Nice little device.

My buddy has a first or second Gen Nook rooted with CyanMod. Nice little device.
No doubt, but 95%+ of the market doesn't want to #### with flashing ROMs and hacking their ####. They want to turn the thing on, and have it work. :P

No doubt, but 95%+ of the market doesn't want to #### with flashing ROMs and hacking their ####. They want to turn the thing on, and have it work. :P
Sure, but what about us Nerds? We buy #### too ya know. :nerd: I'll still hold out for a tablet with great specs and expansion. Shouldn't be too far away with Sammy Sung jumping in the fray to compete with the Nexus.

Sure, but what about us Nerds? We buy #### too ya know. :nerd: I'll still hold out for a tablet with great specs and expansion. Shouldn't be too far away with Sammy Sung jumping in the fray to compete with the Nexus.
Why would anyone offer expansion if they can get $1 GB for a .01 GB flash memory?

Why would anyone offer expansion if they can get $1 GB for a .01 GB flash memory?
Does this mean we can expand the Nexus with physical memory?

I'm considering a tablet for a pending trip - use it for a reader, watch movies/play games on a long plane flight, upload some pics/videos, check email, use as a GPS unit, etc. (these are all things I can do with these things, right? assuming I'm at a WiFi spot)

Would this be a good option - although I am concerned about a lack of memory expansion. Is 8GB / 16GB going to be enough for what I want to do? Hell, is it even worth bringing one of these along for a trip?

I know nothing about these things and this inrigues me. I've got some time - don't leave until September, so maybe wait and see what else comes out?

Hell, is it even worth bringing one of these along for a trip?
If you don't have to decide until September it would be wise to wait and see what the Fire2 looks like. Some people expect an announcement on that device by the end of July.My ideal device to take on a trip would be one that I don't have to bring a charger and plug in while on the road. For that reason I'm still leaning toward one of the Asus 10" tablets with the keyboard that extends battery life well beyond any similar portable device to my knowledge. The high end tablets are much more expensive than the 7" tablets however.

I'm considering a tablet for a pending trip - use it for a reader, watch movies/play games on a long plane flight, upload some pics/videos, check email, use as a GPS unit, etc. (these are all things I can do with these things, right? assuming I'm at a WiFi spot) Would this be a good option - although I am concerned about a lack of memory expansion. Is 8GB / 16GB going to be enough for what I want to do? Hell, is it even worth bringing one of these along for a trip?I know nothing about these things and this inrigues me. I've got some time - don't leave until September, so maybe wait and see what else comes out?
i'm surprised that they don't somehow directly connect that memory expansion to Drive.

Users who are viewing this thread