What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Frank Gore, RB, San Francisco 49ers (1 Viewer)

Jason Wood

Zoo York
2012 Player Spotlight Series

One of Footballguys best assets is our message board community. The Shark Pool is, in our view, the best place on the internet to discuss, debate and analyze all things fantasy football. In what's become an annual tradition, the Player Spotlight series is a key part of the preseason efforts. As many of you know, we consider the Player Spotlight threads the permanent record for analyzing the fantasy prospects of the player in question. This year, we plan to publish more than 140 offensive spotlights covering the vast majority of expected skill position starters.

As always we will post a list of players to be discussed each week. Those threads will remain open for the entire preseason, and should be a central point to discuss expectations for the player in question. Importantly, analysis done in the first week of posting will be part of the permanent record in two ways. 1) At the end of the week, we will tally the projections into a consensus. 2) We will select a number of pull quotes from forum contributors who make a compelling statement or observation. Both the projections and pull quotes will be part of a published article on the main website.

Thread Topic: Frank Gore, RB, San Francisco 49ers

Player Page Link: Frank Gore Player Page

Each article will include:

[*]Detailed viewpoint from a Footballguys staff member

[*]Highlighted member commentary from the message board threads

[*]FBG Projections

[*]Consensus Member Projections

The Rules

In order for this thread to provide maximum value, we ask that you follow a few simple guidelines:

[*]Focus commentary on the player (or players) in question, and your expectations for said player (or players)

[*]Back up your expectations in whatever manner you deem appropriate; avoid posts that simply say "I hate him" or "He's the best"

[*]Avoid redundancies or :popcorn: ... this should be about incremental analysis or debate

While not a requirement, we strongly encourage you to provide your own projections for the player (players):

Projections should include:

[*]For QBs: Attempts, Completions, Passing Yards, Passing TDs, Ints, Rush Attempts, Rush Yards, Rush TDs

[*]For RBs: Rushes, Rushing Yards, Rush TDs, Receptions, Receiving Yards, Receiving TDs

[*]For WRs & TEs: Receptions, Receiving Yards, Receiving TDs

Now let's get on with the conversation! We look forward to your contributions and let me offer a personal thanks in anticipation of the great debate and analysis.

This should be an interesting thread.

Personally, I think Gore has the skills to keep his YPC up, but the age and competition to see his carries reduce a bit. The main reason I don't have his stats completely hitting the wall is because the Niners should have a respectable passing game this year, keeping the 8th man out of the box. I think he pulls off his last 1,000 yard year.

1,054/5 30/240/1

'butcher boy said:
This should be an interesting thread.

Personally, I think Gore has the skills to keep his YPC up, but the age and competition to see his carries reduce a bit. The main reason I don't have his stats completely hitting the wall is because the Niners should have a respectable passing game this year, keeping the 8th man out of the box. I think he pulls off his last 1,000 yard year.

1,054/5 30/240/1
I don't think he plays a full sched as starter. I think he misses at least 3 games this season.

I think his touches go down this year with Hunter and James seeing more. He was one of the worst YPC near end of last season

230-915-4 20-120-1

Give Hunter 105 carries-445 and James 50-245

I got offered Gore for a 1st round pick next year in dynasty and declined. No thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think his touches go down this year with Hunter and James seeing more. He was one of the worst YPC near end of last season230-915-4 20-120-1Give Hunter 105 carries-445 and James 50-245I got offered Gore for a 1st round pick next year in dynasty and declined. No thanks.
:goodposting: The wheels are about to come off. He will play decent until Halloween, then the mileage and nagging injuries will catch up with him, again. If you happen to draft him, flip him in October

180-810-7, 5-35-1.

Gore is not a part of the passing game anymore. Yeah, that's 5 catches.

I agree he'll miss time, but when he's active, I think he's still a very solid start in standard scoring leagues.

I would give him an average of 16 carries a game and 4.3 YPC.

So 256/1075/7.

I can't predict catches because Harbaugh rewrote the rules with respect to the Niners and pass catching RBs last year, and there's not much history to go on and figure out what he'll do this year. But the wheels have not come off Gore, yet, and he was not outperformed by Hunter last year. Which means he should be a lock for another 1000 yard season.

last year gore had 9 games under 4.0 ypc and 6 games over 4.0 ypcout those 9 games, 5 games were under 3.0 ypcthis article from roto stood out to me

Frank Gore had just one game with a per-carry average over 4.0 in the second half of the 2011 season.Gore's per-carry average plummeted to 3.2 in the final eight games after he was run into the ground during a five-game stretch of 100-yard performances from Weeks 4-9. Just as worrisome are Gore's lack of production in the passing game and the arrival of LaMichael James and potential goal-line horse Brandon Jacobs to go with talented second-year back Kendall Hunter. We fail to see the upside of drafting Gore at his current early fourth-round ADP

Any other thoughts on Gore?

Gore was a top 12 RB last year, put up 1300 total yards, is healthy, and is still under 30, but no one seems to be interested in him. I think, overall, the 49ers offense is going to score a lot more TDs this year due to the new receiving options and Harbaugh having a full training camp to put the offense in place. This should benefit Gore and lead to more TDs. Seems like he could easily have a Fred Jackson-esque resurgence.

With Randy in Town catching all those long bombs...Gore is going to have alot more shorts yards TD's than ever before...he's undervalued...SF has an awsome O-Line

'DevilintheDetail said:
Any other thoughts on Gore? Gore was a top 12 RB last year, put up 1300 total yards, is healthy, and is still under 30, but no one seems to be interested in him. I think, overall, the 49ers offense is going to score a lot more TDs this year due to the new receiving options and Harbaugh having a full training camp to put the offense in place. This should benefit Gore and lead to more TDs. Seems like he could easily have a Fred Jackson-esque resurgence.
he's not sexy, he's older and he's a great value. He's still the bell cow, he's healthy and he's on a team that will want to win with running and defense. He's being drafted at his floor.

'DevilintheDetail said:
Any other thoughts on Gore? Gore was a top 12 RB last year, put up 1300 total yards, is healthy, and is still under 30, but no one seems to be interested in him. I think, overall, the 49ers offense is going to score a lot more TDs this year due to the new receiving options and Harbaugh having a full training camp to put the offense in place. This should benefit Gore and lead to more TDs. Seems like he could easily have a Fred Jackson-esque resurgence.
he's not sexy, he's older and he's a great value. He's still the bell cow, he's healthy and he's on a team that will want to win with running and defense. He's being drafted at his floor.
:goodposting: Great value where he's going in drafts.

'DevilintheDetail said:
I love Frank Gore. Huge fan. If the Niners had one carry to give with the game on the line, i would expect them to give it to Gore. He is the best RB on our roster in a vacuum.But the fact that he doesn't catch passes and will not get 20+ touches a game really caps his upside as a fantasy player unless Hunter gets injured.

'DevilintheDetail said:
I love Frank Gore. Huge fan. If the Niners had one carry to give with the game on the line, i would expect them to give it to Gore. He is the best RB on our roster in a vacuum.But the fact that he doesn't catch passes and will not get 20+ touches a game really caps his upside as a fantasy player unless Hunter gets injured.
I wondered this, too. He's always been known as a back with good hands. You would think he'd have more pass routes in any given offense.

'DevilintheDetail said:
I wondered this, too. He's always been known as a back with good hands. You would think he'd have more pass routes in any given offense.
Without being any kind of an expert and just from watching Niner games, I would say that Harbaugh likes throwing to RBs in open space on planned plays and keeping RBs in to pass protect on what would otherwise be a check down option like Gore use to get.And although Gore is incredibly shifty and does an amazing job getting to the next level, I don't think anyone would call him the Niners' best open space RB option - Hunter and James are just flat out faster, and are more likely to take it to the house when they're in the open field. I really noticed this last year, as there werea few times Gore got caught from behind after exploding thought the second level.

I was shocked at how few passes Gore caught last year. He had averaged 51 catches a year the previous five seasons, never catching less than 43, and then dropped all the way down to 17 last year. I think many would be much higher on him this year, even with the way he struggled down the stretch last year, had he been as much a part of the passing game as in previous years, but with PPR so prevalent now, his value has dropped.

(Rotoworld) Frank Gore faced eight defenders in the box more than any other running back last season. Analysis: Gore saw a stacked box 42.3 percent of the time, nearly double the league average of 23.3 percent. He still averaged 4.71 yards per carry and ranked 10th in the league with 1,214 rushing yards. Now that Colin Kaepernick will have a full offseason under his belt as the starter and Anquan Boldin has been added, the passing game will have to be respected more. Gore should see more seven-man fronts in 2013.

Users who are viewing this thread