What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Maurice Jones-Drew, RB, Jacksonville Jaguars (1 Viewer)

Jason Wood

Zoo York
2012 Player Spotlight Series

One of Footballguys best assets is our message board community. The Shark Pool is, in our view, the best place on the internet to discuss, debate and analyze all things fantasy football. In what's become an annual tradition, the Player Spotlight series is a key part of the preseason efforts. As many of you know, we consider the Player Spotlight threads the permanent record for analyzing the fantasy prospects of the player in question. This year, we plan to publish more than 140 offensive spotlights covering the vast majority of expected skill position starters.

As always we will post a list of players to be discussed each week. Those threads will remain open for the entire preseason, and should be a central point to discuss expectations for the player in question. Importantly, analysis done in the first week of posting will be part of the permanent record in two ways. 1) At the end of the week, we will tally the projections into a consensus. 2) We will select a number of pull quotes from forum contributors who make a compelling statement or observation. Both the projections and pull quotes will be part of a published article on the main website.

Thread Topic: Maurice Jones-Drew, RB, Jacksonville Jaguars

Player Page Link: Maurice Jones-Drew Player Page

Each article will include:

[*]Detailed viewpoint from a Footballguys staff member

[*]Highlighted member commentary from the message board threads

[*]FBG Projections

[*]Consensus Member Projections

The Rules

In order for this thread to provide maximum value, we ask that you follow a few simple guidelines:

[*]Focus commentary on the player (or players) in question, and your expectations for said player (or players)

[*]Back up your expectations in whatever manner you deem appropriate; avoid posts that simply say "I hate him" or "He's the best"

[*]Avoid redundancies or :popcorn: ... this should be about incremental analysis or debate

While not a requirement, we strongly encourage you to provide your own projections for the player (players):

Projections should include:

[*]For QBs: Attempts, Completions, Passing Yards, Passing TDs, Ints, Rush Attempts, Rush Yards, Rush TDs

[*]For RBs: Rushes, Rushing Yards, Rush TDs, Receptions, Receiving Yards, Receiving TDs

[*]For WRs & TEs: Receptions, Receiving Yards, Receiving TDs

Now let's get on with the conversation! We look forward to your contributions and let me offer a personal thanks in anticipation of the great debate and analysis.

Pros

Team is built around the running game

They have upgraded there offense

No competition for touches

Allt he goal line work

A true 3 down back

Head coach has ran a power run game the past

Blaine Gabbert can't be worse......can he?

Negatives

Get his ### into camp on time

Lingering knee?

All signs point up as long as he gets his a-- into camp on time. he has no reason to holdout. Him and Revis have no legs to stand on. They have a couple of years still under sontract and are still making a very good salary (compared to other players at there position) not including the bonus check they already cashed.

GET INTO CAMP MJD!!!!

350 carries 1600 yards

50 catches 450 yards

10 total tds

MJD avoids holdout topic

Maurice Jones-Drew, RB, JAC

News: Maurice Jones-Drew was part of a celebrity Fantasy Football draft on SiriusXM NFL Radio on Thursday and flat-out ignored any and all questions regarding whether or not he'd hold out from training camp when the Jaguars kick it off next week. Picking himself with the first overall pick, MJD deflected questions about whether or not he'd show up throughout the draft. Jones-Drew is looking for a new contract after other running backs landed mega-deals over the last two years and has threatened to hold out. Jaguars general manager Gene Smith has said he doesn't plan to renegotiate Jones-Drew's deal. Jones-Drew, the 2011 NFL rushing leader, did not attend any of the Jaguars offseason programs this year to express his desire for a new contract. He has two years left on his deal, which pays him $4.45 million this year and $4.95 million in 2013. He received a $9 million signing bonus back in 2009.

Analysis: On one hand, Jones-Drew picking himself might suggest he plans to be a part of the Jaguars this season. On the other, he's probably not taking this draft as seriously as you might take yours and every NFL player has enough self-confidence to take himself. Jones-Drew's decision to stay mum on the holdout could mean he plans to follow through with it. Jaguars camp opens on July 26 -- we'll start getting answers then. For now, he remains a No. 1 Fantasy running back worth a first-round pick

also...

Maurice Jones-Drew - RB - Jaguars CBSSports.com's Pete Prisco has been told by Jaguars sources there is "no consideration at all" on a new contract for Maurice Jones-Drew.

This hardly earth-shattering news, as GM Gene Smith clearly stated in June that he expects Jones-Drew to fulfill the last two seasons of the five-year, $31 million contract signed back in 2009. The headstrong Jones-Drew appears to have his heels dug in for a training camp holdout. The question is whether it extends more than a week or two while failing to grab the attention of the team's brass.

Source: Pete Prisco on Twitter Jul 19 - 3:23 PM

Funny thing is that several news sites are reporting that Fred Taylor has been working out with MJD this offseason and Fred said that its unlikely MJD will report to training camp on time. But I was listening to the celebrity fantasy draft and when they brought that up to MJD he said "I haven't seen Fred in 4 months"

Don't like this cat.

Yup, that's a stupid reason not to draft a guy... But guess what? Not touching him.

1200yds, 7tds

350 3

If he decides to show up.

Drafted him in the first round of a recent draft. If he doesn't report, I'm gonna be pretty bummed. How valuable would Rashad Jennings be in his absence?

Drafted him in the first round of a recent draft. If he doesn't report, I'm gonna be pretty bummed. How valuable would Rashad Jennings be in his absence?
Jennings looks to be a serviceable replacement if MJD misses time. I would not expect him to put up MJD type numbers but I would project him as a startable RB2 on a weekly basis if MJD holds out or is injured.

What is the maximum regular-season games he could miss in order to still accrue credit for a year of service? I think it is four. More than that and he doesn't gain any ground, he just loses money and isn't any closer to free agency. He might miss the maximum games but thats not good for FF purposes.

Very little projecting in here and almost a month since a single post. The silence is deafening. Scenarios...

1. He reports week 1 and they have to work him into the offense. I might think he would see very little of the field week 1, more week 2, good share week 3, 4, 5...or he might not be in game shape at that point, could sustain an injury as many times players who skip camp are not well conditioned for the season. Jax was on record also saying they did not want to burn MJD up and were hoping to split the carries a bit more, maybe 60/40. Jennings had some built in value for owners especially in best ball.

2. He misses a couple games, Jax caves or he caves and he reports by week 3 and he does well the rest of the year, maybe takes him 2-3 weeks to get his rhythm back. In that case Jennings would be very valuable for the first month.

3. He does not report until week 6 so he can say he technically played under his contract so he would be down to 1 year going into 2013. Jennings would be a lot more valuable in this scenario.

Long story short, you draft MJD, don't be a fool and not take the back up here. Jax has made no attempt to try and shore this up thru FA or the draft, seems very likely they are extremely comfortable with Jennings. If things go really bad here, a trade is not off the table. Several teams would love a guy like MJD and might even pay a decent amount for him. A 2nd and maybe a 5th might get it done.

Very hard to project numbers for a guy we just don't know will be there anytime soon. He still is slated for $3M-$4M this year yes/no? Seems like a lot of money to just pass on but maybe MJD already has a decent amount and can just sit and wait.

Jennings looks great and he should have a fine season.

Never heard of the guy this thread is about. He's someone who obviously doesn't want to play football though.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/5273/rashad-jennings

Coach Mike Mularkey confirmed Rashad Jennings will likely be the Jaguars' Week 1 starting tailback, regardless of Maurice Jones-Drew's status with the team.

"I expect Rashad will start, we'll just have to see," Mularkey said, leaving the door open ever so slightly. Jones-Drew's fines for skipping training camp have exceeded $1 million, while Jennings has averaged nearly five yards per preseason carry and blocked well in the blitz-pickup game. Jones-Drew could retake his lead back job at some point, but Jennings looks like the heavy favorite for early-season touches. The Jaguars open against Minnesota on September 9. Aug 27 - 3:58 PM

Source: Florida Times Union

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/3596/maurice-jones-drew

ESPN's Adam Schefter hinted on SportsCenter Tuesday morning that Maurice Jones-Drew's holdout seems likely to extend into the regular season.

It sounds like it's going to take a change of heart from Jones-Drew in order for him to be active against the Vikings. The Jaguars certainly aren't budging. "There are no signs he's coming in anytime soon," Schefter stated. "... It certainly looks like this is going to go into the start of the regular season, and MJD will not be there for the Jaguars' regular season opener. Unless something changes between the two sides, and there are no indications that's happening anytime soon." Unless Jones-Drew is seriously trying to force a trade, we don't see how he's helping himself. He has lost this fight. Aug 28 - 9:15 AM

I don't understand Jones-Drew's thinking at all.

He paid $1 million to skip camp.

Is he now going to start missing game checks as well?

He was supposed to make $4.45 million in base salary this year according to RotoWorld. That's $261,765 per game check over 17 weeks.

Whenever he shows up, he's going to play his first four games for free to pay off the training camp fines (if the team doesn't forgive them).

So he's already down to 13 out of 17 game checks, and every week he misses he's down another.

I guess he could hold out the entire season and then he wouldn't have to pay his fines. Stun on the Jaguars?

I don't understand Jones-Drew's thinking at all.He paid $1 million to skip camp.Is he now going to start missing game checks as well?He was supposed to make $4.45 million in base salary this year according to RotoWorld. That's $261,765 per game check over 17 weeks.Whenever he shows up, he's going to play his first four games for free to pay off the training camp fines (if the team doesn't forgive them).So he's already down to 13 out of 17 game checks, and every week he misses he's down another.I guess he could hold out the entire season and then he wouldn't have to pay his fines. Stun on the Jaguars?
Agree with all of those points, but it doesn't really make a ton of sense from the Jags perspective either. They have a young QB who had a rough rookie year and needs to start improving and gaining confidence, so its vital to surround him with some talent who can help support him as he grows. MJD had 1980 rush + rec yards last year, the next best Jaguar? Marcedes Lewis with 460. He had 11 TDs, the next best Jaguar was Jason Hill with 3. So the thinking is that since it doesn't make sense for either side they should naturally both be willing to concede a tiny bit and a compromise would hopefully get made as a result. I guess we'll see if that happens. Its bad news for both parties if it doesn't.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't understand Jones-Drew's thinking at all.He paid $1 million to skip camp.Is he now going to start missing game checks as well?He was supposed to make $4.45 million in base salary this year according to RotoWorld. That's $261,765 per game check over 17 weeks.Whenever he shows up, he's going to play his first four games for free to pay off the training camp fines (if the team doesn't forgive them).So he's already down to 13 out of 17 game checks, and every week he misses he's down another.I guess he could hold out the entire season and then he wouldn't have to pay his fines. Stun on the Jaguars?
How about this line of thinking, "Save the wear and tear on my body for paychecks that are twice as big as the ones you are giving me." :shrug:

Sometimes people don't do things for rational reasons. Jones-Drew probably doesn't know how to get out of this now without losing face- and he isn't willing to do that, even if it does cost him money. He doesn't want to surrender.

Sometimes people don't do things for rational reasons. Jones-Drew probably doesn't know how to get out of this now without losing face- and he isn't willing to do that, even if it does cost him money. He doesn't want to surrender.
Is it really costing him money though?He gets to save that wear and tear for bigger paychecks down the road.If you think of these guys like an automobile, is it bad to save mileage for another day when you'll get paid more?It's not as simple as "he's passing on game checks." Particularly when Jacksonville sucks.

what bigger paycheck?

say he holds out for the year, who would even match mjd's existing contract, let alone give him a larger one?

i think his position hurts him a lot. if he were a wr, then ya, it will probally work out like it did with vjax. but i dont see anyone signing mjd for big money or long term, especially if he is a year older

How about this line of thinking, "Save the wear and tear on my body for paychecks that are twice as big as the ones you are giving me." :shrug:
When's he going to get a bigger paycheck?He has two years left on this contract. He doesn't become a free agent any faster by holding out. He'll be a free agent in 2014. Is somebody going to give him a big multi-year deal when he's 29? After he's been out of football for two years??

I wouldnt say its not rational.. If a player is going to hold out they have to dig in for the worst of it to get what they want. The Jags ownership/management isnt the smartest by the comments made. If MJD holds out and doesnt get paid he made a big mistake but at this point he's doing what he thinks is best for him. At this point he has to hold out to get the contract he wants before its to late and no one wants to give him big money.. Guess we'll see. Im not drafting the guy.

Option B he reports and plays under speed, avoids a lot of contact, steps out of bounds, collects his paychecks and doesn't act like much of a leader. Doesn't bad mouth but just acts ho hum all the time.

I wouldn't get too caught up in the fines, either. Often, when the player finally agrees to report, one of the stipulations is that the club agrees to waive any fines incurred up to that point.

He's 27 and only has one more shot at a big contract. Perhaps he feels there is more leverage in holding out this year instead of playing out the season and experiencing a potential injury before he turns 28. Even if he stays healthy, he's probably not going to put up better numbers than last year or play his way into a better deal than he could get now. And at 28, it's likely he would get closer to a Frank Gore type of contract than an Adrian Peterson type of contract especially for the guaranteed money since we are talking about the super cheap Jags here. Here's the RB contracts signed in 2011. Gore and DeAngelo were both 28 when they signed. Gore: 3 years, $21M, $13.5M guaranteedDeAngelo: 5 years, $43M, $21M guaranteedC.Johnson: 4 years, $53.5M, $30M guaranteedPeterson: 7 years, $100M, $36M guaranteedIt was definitely a long shot that he would win here, but I can see why he would try to do it now instead of waiting until next year to hold out. If it doesn't work this year, it probably won't work next year either and he's better off trying now.

Jacksonville's left guard, right guard, and right tackle all got hurt last game. Any thoughts on how this may affect MJD moving forward?

Jacksonville's left guard, right guard, and right tackle all got hurt last game. Any thoughts on how this may affect MJD moving forward?
That was after they lost their starting LG, another back up G and back up G/C before the season started. The offensive lines injury situation in Jacksonville is pretty bad and certainly warrants attention. But as of right now there is no way to determine how much it effects MJD forward.

Users who are viewing this thread