What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Who is this year's Matthew Stafford? (1 Viewer)

Last year several ff site were touting (some as high as a top 5 qb) Matthew Stafford as a player who would break out in 2011. 40 td's and 5,000 yds latter Stafford lead many teams to a fantasy football championship.

This year the choice doesn't seem quite as easy. Any thoughts on who that breakout player at qb(if any) might be?

Last edited by a moderator:
Nobody. I'm not seeing the Matt Ryan mania others see and I own him in dynasty. I'll probably still start Eli over him on most weeks. Should put up good numbers but he just went QB #6 (15th overall) in our 14 team redraft.

Well, it was Matt Ryan before all the sites started pimping him hardcore. The answer now is probably one of Luck, RG3, Locker, Wilson or a rejuvenated Peyton Manning.

There is no "breakout" QB that will throw for 5000 yds and 40 TDs in 2012. There will be some QBs that overperform expectations, and I like Locker to do so. Matt Ryan will underperform his pre-season fantasy hype IMO

Eli and Locker I think will far out reach their ADP's. I also see Russell Wilson bridging that low end QB1 gap by years end. That being said, nobody is 'this years' Matt Stafford. If I guess if I had to pick my long shot Matt Stafford, in the sense of picking someone who looked promising in his rookie season that had injury troubles later and then had a breakout massive season like Stafford just did. It'd have to be Sam Bradford. Most people know the talent is there, but like Stafford can he stay healthy for a whole season and have the team around him stay healthy to put together a full season.

In my league last year I was hoping to land Stafford in the middle rounds. He went at the end of round 2 in a 15 team league and I don't think he received near the hype of Ryan this year. This year I draft from the 3 hole and I am considering taking him in round 3 if he is there...I don't know if he will be. Starting to get a little excited about Eli's possiblity and nabbing him at 4/5. After that I'm waiting at least until 6/7 and more likely 8/9 and maybe go back to back QB. Can't get too excited about a lot of the others especially the first and second year guys-at least at the positions where they are being drafted.

Things you need to be Matt Stafford...

Great passing QB

Elite Weapon(s)

A coach with no interest in running ever

A terrible defense

I'm having trouble thinking of guys that have 2 or 3 and I can't think of anyone with all 4 that doesn't cost you a 1st or 2nd (Stafford himself) round pick.

Romo might be the closest, but they run too much, play average defense, and you won't mistake Dez for Calvin Johnson.

'GordonGekko said:
By the 2nd half of the season, Colin Kapernick. - Harbaugh is not married to Alex Smith, he's seen Smith get too many coaches canned in SF from afar- Smith knows Harbaugh doesn't want him, but this is the best situation he could possibly be in.- Harbaugh will want to know if Kapernick is the answer or not, or address the position in the draft this offseason- Strong O line, with one side anchored by Joe Staley and Mike Iupati- Nice balance at RB with Gore ( veteran), Hunter ( young and promising) and James (burner)- Servicable WR corps- Elite tight end- Very good to above average defense with good blend of veterans and youth. Kapernick will odds on not be drafted in 99 percent of redraft leagues, the 1 percent of leagues he will are probably going to be diehard homers in the Bay Area. He's going to be easy to get in free agent pools and unlike some of the touted rookies this year, actually has had a full season in the NFL to develop under a former NFL QB with an organization on the rise. Three year starter in college who improved every season. Ideal height, size for the position. Good mobility. Good arm strength. Relentless worker. His mobility will give him yards as a rusher and help him be evasive in the pocket. Part of the problem for this kid is he's not very marketable, and hence I think gets far less press than more flashy young players or players thrust too soon into starting roles. Kapernick is mixed race, if he was all black, IMHO, he would have gotten far more press than he did or does. I think there are still stereotypes in the NFL that impact players and positions and perception, usually in reverse fashion ( Jason Sehorn treated as a novelty, Toby Gerhart being routinely dismissed for his talent, urge to compare any black QB to every other mobile black QB out there)
How is your analysis in any way related to this thread topic?

Nobody. I'm not seeing the Matt Ryan mania others see and I own him in dynasty. I'll probably still start Eli over him on most weeks. Should put up good numbers but he just went QB #6 (15th overall) in our 14 team redraft.
...and I love this, as he has leapfrogged Manning in almost every draft I have done...Eli just put Ramses Barden back on the map...just for giggles.That is how good the Elisha is.

'cheese said:
Things you need to be Matt Stafford...

Great slightly above average passing QB

Elite Weapon(s)

A coach with no interest in running ever

A terrible defense

I'm having trouble thinking of guys that have 2 or 3 and I can't think of anyone with all 4 that doesn't cost you a 1st or 2nd (Stafford himself) round pick.

Romo might be the closest, but they run too much, play average defense, and you won't mistake Dez for Calvin Johnson.
Fixed. 7.6 ypa is not great.There was an interest in running the ball last year, just no players to do it. Thus 663 attempts... at 7.6 ypa. What was Rodgers doing? 9.2? That would be 6000 yds. Brees was well over 8.

If you want to find the next Stafford, predict the next team to get stuck throwing the ball that many times. I will go out on a limb and suggest Flacco as a possibility. How does Flacco do it? Ray Rice gets hurt, their backups suck, and their defense is much worse than anticipated without Suggs and with a bunch of old guys. Flacco throws the ball 600+ times at his 2010 clip of 7.4 ypa and suddenly you've got 4500 yds out of a 12th round pick. Not quite 2011 Stafford numbers, but seriously Stafford had to have everything fall his way last season. And Flacco doesn't have Calvin.

If Calvin gets hurt, Kevin Smith stays healthy, and the Detroit Lions defense lives up to last year's hype, Matt Stafford is suddenly revealed as the JAG that he is.

Took Flacco as my QB2 in a QB-flex league. You are the second person I have heard just today on this board talk him up. Fingers crossed.

'Franknbeans said:
Fitzgerald
:goodposting: I thought I was a minority of one, but I can see Fitzgerald taking another step up this year. Yeah, he fizzled in the last part of last year (after Fred Jackson got hurt), and he hasn't looked great in preseason, but I see something in Fitzgerald that I don't see in a lot of other QB's.Also, I like Flacco this year. Him & Torey Smith seem primed to "bust out" this year. A lot will depend on how well Flacco handles taking control of the entire offense, a la Peyton Manning, this year.

'Franknbeans said:
Fitzgerald
:goodposting: I thought I was a minority of one, but I can see Fitzgerald taking another step up this year. Yeah, he fizzled in the last part of last year (after Fred Jackson got hurt), and he hasn't looked great in preseason, but I see something in Fitzgerald that I don't see in a lot of other QB's.

Also, I like Flacco this year. Him & Torey Smith seem primed to "bust out" this year. A lot will depend on how well Flacco handles taking control of the entire offense, a la Peyton Manning, this year.
Fitzpatrick - and it will not be him. He just isn't that good and the Bills lack legit weapons outside of Johnson.

Call me crazy, but if considering which qb will greatly outperform adp, my vote is on freeman. Carl nicks is a huuugggeee upgrade on his line and i loved the additions of vjax and martin. Steal at his adp.

If given the opportunity, I think Webb could be a breakout QB, but I doubt he will be given the opportunity. GordonGekko, as long as SF is winning what would it take for the 49ers to bench Smith?

'GordonGekko said:
'zoonation said:
'Louisville Slugger said:
This year the choice doesn't seem quite as easy. Any thoughts on who that breakout player at qb(if any) might be?
Kapernick offers

- A good situation for a rookie QB, with real talent and pieces around him

- A situation where the head coach and franchise and even most of the fanbase is not married to the current starter

- Mobility, which gives a dual threat to score points with his legs and not just his arm

- Accessibility, as he's likely not to be drafted on most redraft teams

- Sleeper status to the general public, in part of the limited press he gets based on where he plays right now and how the NFL tends to market specific players for branding/merchandising/advertising reasons.

There are two Staff members in this thread. You didn't drop a QB name yourself, until you do, you are just trolling for a fight here. Question what I write about football all you want, but don't question my right to post about football at all here.

Keep pushing son, and watch them ban you for it.
So Kapernick will approach Stafford type numbers when he's not even starting the season? :confused: I'll offer Romo and Ryan. Boring, but somewhat possbile.

'GordonGekko said:
'zoonation said:
Kapernick offers

- A situation where the head coach and franchise and even most of the fanbase is not married to the current starter

- Mobility, which gives a dual threat to score points with his legs and not just his arm

- Sleeper status to the general public, in part of the limited press he gets based on where he plays right now and how the NFL tends to market specific players for branding/merchandising/advertising reasons.

There are two Staff members in this thread. You didn't drop a QB name yourself, until you do, you are just trolling for a fight here. Question what I write about football all you want, but don't question my right to post about football at all here.

I'm reading post this more as you being a Kaep fan than anything else.

'GordonGekko said:
'zoonation said:
Kapernick offers

So Kapernick will approach Stafford type numbers when he's not even starting the season? :confused:
:goodposting: GordonGekko is still trying to pull off this horrible schtick.

I'm on board with Freeman as a late round lottery ticket. Took him way too early last year hoping he would reach the next level but his offensive situation was just atrocious all year. This year with a few near characters, even with a major OL casualty recently, I'm thinking he should definitely outperform his ADP and creep into the top 10. I just see last year as an anomaly and certainly not anything near the norm for his future.

I don't think there is one.

Luck has the talent to surprise people and Cutler has been falling really far for someone with a decent FF outlook.

In addition to all the other things mentioned about Stafford, he also plays in a dome. Luck seems like the only lottery ticket that checks all the boxes. Ryan is another option, but you may as well draft Stafford after the way Ryan's ADP has risen lately.

And forget about even making a case for guys like Flacco, Freeman, Fitz, and especially Locker.

'GordonGekko said:
'zoonation said:
Kapernick offers

As a niners fan, I have to disagree. First, Harbaugh likes Smith just fine. Second, have you seen Kaepernick throw the ball this preseason? Hasn't been pretty. He's solid scrambling and throwing on the run, but can't make a throw from the pocket to save his life. He just won the backup job less than a week ago_Offense would have to really struggle for him to get a look IMO.

Jake Locker, particularly since the Titans will be running a variation of the run-and-shoot offense (which was quite QB fantasy friendly for those old enough to remember it).

'GordonGekko said:
'zoonation said:
Kapernick offers

As a niners fan, I have to disagree. First, Harbaugh likes Smith just fine. Second, have you seen Kaepernick throw the ball this preseason? Hasn't been pretty. He's solid scrambling and throwing on the run, but can't make a throw from the pocket to save his life. He just won the backup job less than a week ago_Offense would have to really struggle for him to get a look IMO.
I find it hard to fathom Harbaugh letting Kaep chuck the rock around if he happened to start over Smith, and he would only start if Smith was injured. I find it hard to think Harbaugh would let Smith chuck the rock around for 5000 yards this season as well. But, I don't think Harbaugh is that attached to the hip with Smith either, if Smith can't move the offense.

Took Flacco as my QB2 in a QB-flex league. You are the second person I have heard just today on this board talk him up. Fingers crossed.
Ha, I'm not really talking him up. Just saying he's in the closest situation to Stafford. It would take some things falling just right and him finding his stride again - his ypa had increased every year in the league until he took two steps back last year (which was solely due to completion % - the yard per completion were very similar).I'm actually planning to draft Fitzpatrick or Locker as my late QB2 if I miss out on Palmer, but I won't be sad if I get stuck with Flacco. He should outperform his ADP and has upside. I'm not all that impressed with Ray Rice so I think they could lean on Flacco if he's performing better than last year.I guess I could've mentioned Palmer as a candidate. He might have all the makings. His is RB is very injury prone but Goodson is a good player, so he's iffy there on the "abandoned running game" front. His defense could be poor. He's got a pretty good trio of WR when healthy, but no legitimate TE threat. I know his offense is new, but last year he was putting up 8.6 ypa in his last 9 games, so he wouldn't need a Stafford-esque amount of pass attempts to put up Stafford-esque passing yards IF he can somewhat keep pace there. Need 582 attempts to hit 5000 yards at 8.6 ypa.

Eli Manning. All the talent in the world, elite receiving corps, questionable run game (even though I really like Wilson). Lowest rushing total in the league last year.

Ryan is also a reasonable pic, given that they will run less this year.

Cutler on talent and weapons, but with that poor protection, they would be stupid not to ride Forte and Bush.

If I have to pick a guy, it's Jay Cutler. I think he's got as many similarities as anyone, more actually. The only thing that really makes me not line him is he plays outdoors in Chi.

I've been a big Cutler fan over the years, but I just don't see Chicago throwing the ball 600 times. Their pass blocking is horrible, so he'll be working with 3 step drops. Good news for Marshall owners, but not conducive to 5000 yards passing.

Carson Palmer. Good set of young receivers, can throw the ball all day, and a horrible defense. I could see 4500+ yards.

In my opinion there's only 2 possibilities here: Ryan and Eli.

Ryan: They say they are going to open it up more, and their running game is only worse. Turner is broke and Quizz is not enough. I think Ryan is mediocre, but if he chucks it 40 times a game he has a chance with 2 stud WR's.

Eli: Running game is still terrible (unless Wilson proves to be a superstar). 2 stud WR's and Eli finally making the leap of cutting down mistakes would get him to Stafford numbers (which he wasn't that far off of anyway).

Eli has the best chance.

Those saying Luck are crazy. I think his ceiling is similar to Peytons rookie year (3700/26) with what he has to work with.

think I heard somebody claim that last year stafford faced something like the 2nd worst pass defense sos.

In my opinion there's only 2 possibilities here: Ryan and Eli. Ryan: They say they are going to open it up more, and their running game is only worse. Turner is broke and Quizz is not enough. I think Ryan is mediocre, but if he chucks it 40 times a game he has a chance with 2 stud WR's. Eli: Running game is still terrible (unless Wilson proves to be a superstar). 2 stud WR's and Eli finally making the leap of cutting down mistakes would get him to Stafford numbers (which he wasn't that far off of anyway). Eli has the best chance.Those saying Luck are crazy. I think his ceiling is similar to Peytons rookie year (3700/26) with what he has to work with.
First of all, they are QB6 and QB8. Second, neither of them are really that good. Matt Ryan has thrown for 6.7, 6.7 and 7.4 ypa the last three years. Their pass/rush split was about 600/400 last year. I doubt they get more extreme despite all the talk/hype, although Julio should help Matt Ryan increase his mediocre ypa. Eli is a career 7.0 ypa guy, but last year's 8.4 ypa has everybody giddy. Even with 588 passes last year, he only hit 29 TDs. I think 550 @ 7.5 ypa is much more likely than 600 @ 8.4 this year, so I don't think Eli and his ADP of QB6 is 2012's Stafford.

'GordonGekko said:
If given the opportunity, I think Webb could be a breakout QB, but I doubt he will be given the opportunity. GordonGekko, as long as SF is winning what would it take for the 49ers to bench Smith?
Well, I'm not sure where I said that Kapernick would rock out with a 5000 yard season ( This comment is not directed you Tchula) IMHO, the 49ers, given a bad half of this season, will be more than willing to see what Kapernick can do for them. Alex Smith played way over his head and way over anyone's expectations, and the 49ers were still 26th in passing. Twenty sixth and this is with Smith playing his best ball ever. Carlos Rogers and Dashon Goldson had career years, but does anyone expect the 49ers to have a turnover differential of +28 again? This was a key to their winning and a key to any team winning, hold onto the rock and strip the other team of the ball. Frank Gore is hitting the proverbial RB death sentence of age 30. The bulk of his production came in the first half of the season. Braylon Edwards and Josh Morgan got hurt, but the 49ers were relatively healthy. Does that sustain in 2012? I would say the 49ers were very fortunate compared to many other teams in regards to injuries. FootballOutsiders ranked them 8th in number of lost games by players in 2011 -http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2012/2011-adjusted-games-lostThe 49ers schedule shifts to, this season, the NFC North and AFC East. 1 Sun, Sep 9 @ Green Bay2 Sun, Sep 16 vs Detroit3 Sun, Sep 23 @Minnesota4 Sun, Sep 30 @ New York Jets5 Sun, Oct 7 vs Buffalo6 Sun, Oct 14 vs New York Giants7 Thu, Oct 18 vs Seattle8 Mon, Oct 29 @ Arizona9 BYE WEEK10 Sun, Nov 11 vs St. Louis11 Mon, Nov 19 vs Chicago12 Sun, Nov 25 @ New Orleans13 Sun, Dec 2 @ St. Louis14 Sun, Dec 9 vs Miami15 Sun, Dec 16 @ New England16 Sun, Dec 23 @ Seattle17 Sun, Dec 30 vs ArizonaIf the 49ers get off to a bad start ( that first half of the season looks tougher than the back half to me), and the playoffs look in doubt, and Alex Smith regresses back to what we've seen in all the years before last year, then why not start Kapernick at that transition point in Week 9 during the Bye? It's not like the pass defenses the 49ers face in the 2nd half of the season look like world beaters. NE even makes Mark Sanchez look good as a passer at times. New Orleans has been gutted by their suspensions and the scandal. I don't see Fisher turning around that Rams D overnight. Miami just traded it best corner and that doesn't look like a team that will scare people on D. That's the thing, I don't think the 49ers will be as successful as last year. I don't think they will have the same level of health and I think that turnover differential is something that they can't rely on being the same this year. I think their run D is stout, but I'm not sure their pass D will be as good, because Rogers is pushing 30 and Goldson gambles a little too much for my taste. Eventually Justin Smith is going to hit a decline too. Will McDonald and Aldon Smith have as good a year this year as last? The 49ers took a huge jump from 2010 to 2011. What's more likely? That they replicate 2011? Or that they regress some and Harbaugh wants more than the 26th ranked passing offense in the NFL? Why was Newton able to rack up stats? Not just his arm, but his mobility gave him a chance to be a dual threat for points. Why upside does Michael Vick offer the Eagles? He's got enough mobility to still be a ground threat and his legs help him extend plays. Kapernick offers you good mobility to get you points with his legs, not all of these young QBs out there can say that. If this thread is about potential breakouts, I'd guess Kapernick in the 2nd half. Do I think he's your every week starter this year? No. Do I think he can start the 2nd half of the season, light it up and make people wished they had him in dynasty this year? Yes. Do I think he can help redraft teams in the latter part of the season? Yes. The new CBA means 4 year contracts. Teams have to determine much faster now if their prospects will help them before they have to make the big decision on them to reup them or not. To me, a "breakout guy" is one that most people can actually still acquire right now.
I posted the 5000 yard season remark, mostly because of the thread title and the following comparison's. While I agree with you that Alex Smith isn't as joined to the hip with Harbaugh as Harbaugh likes to lead us to believe, I don't think he will make a dramatic change in offensive philosophy if he had to replace Smith with Kaep. Harbaugh played to pretty close to the vest with Smith his first year, and part of that turnover ratio was due to Smith either pulling the ball down and taking a sack, or dumping it off. Smith took 44 sacks in Roman's offense, and his has a nice set of wheels too and can run. To compare, in Mike Martz's offense with JT O'Sullivan and Shaun Hill, both combined took 55 sacks. What Harbaugh has improved as far as the QB play is not make them the primary focus of the offense, making them beat teams with their arm, but minimizing their mistakes. Smith wound up having only 5 INTs during the regular season, which help lead to the overall turnover ratio in the positive, as opposed to the past offenses he ran which led to the negative. Harbaugh was fairly conservative with the offense last season, and broke out the passing offense in spurts. He also has the benefit of great Special Teams play along with the defense. He was more ball control than being a pass happy coach. That has a lot to do with his QB in Smith. The problem the 49ers have and had for years now is poor 3rd down and Red Zone execution on offense. If Smith can't improve upon that and they lose TOP and games along with it, then there should be a change at QB. Yet Kaep is still very raw IMO, and it all comes down to how both QB's can read and dictate an opposing defense. The QB IMO who looks to have a better grasp of that is Scott Tolzien, but he has only played against scrubs in the pre-season, and Kaep last year was the #2 QB on the roster, and led a drive in the regular season (that got Morgan injured). I think if Kaep was going to replace Smith with Kaep, he would be brought in slowly and the passing game would still be in spurts, much like last season with Smith, but using Kaep's tools by putting him in a position to succeed by not putting a whole lot of pressure on him as far as his arm. This all being said, nice post, and there are a lot of points you covered that are very well thought out.

'FF Ninja said:
'Jed said:
In my opinion there's only 2 possibilities here: Ryan and Eli. Ryan: They say they are going to open it up more, and their running game is only worse. Turner is broke and Quizz is not enough. I think Ryan is mediocre, but if he chucks it 40 times a game he has a chance with 2 stud WR's. Eli: Running game is still terrible (unless Wilson proves to be a superstar). 2 stud WR's and Eli finally making the leap of cutting down mistakes would get him to Stafford numbers (which he wasn't that far off of anyway). Eli has the best chance.Those saying Luck are crazy. I think his ceiling is similar to Peytons rookie year (3700/26) with what he has to work with.
First of all, they are QB6 and QB8. Second, neither of them are really that good. Matt Ryan has thrown for 6.7, 6.7 and 7.4 ypa the last three years. Their pass/rush split was about 600/400 last year. I doubt they get more extreme despite all the talk/hype, although Julio should help Matt Ryan increase his mediocre ypa. Eli is a career 7.0 ypa guy, but last year's 8.4 ypa has everybody giddy. Even with 588 passes last year, he only hit 29 TDs. I think 550 @ 7.5 ypa is much more likely than 600 @ 8.4 this year, so I don't think Eli and his ADP of QB6 is 2012's Stafford.
I don't think YPA makes a huge difference. As far as Ryan, I think they will be passing for more TD's with Turner being the slug that he is. And Ryan threw 566 times which I think will go up. That said, I think he's mediocre as I said before. He just has a slim chance. I disagree that Eli is not a good QB (and he is still improving). He already had close to the yards of Stafford last year, you don't think if he improves on his 16 picks that he can scratch out some more TD's (and yards by default)? I think he will go 4800/35, which is close to what Stafford will put up.

'Chase Stuart said:
Carson Palmer. Good set of young receivers, can throw the ball all day, and a horrible defense. I could see 4500+ yards.
:goodposting: ima pair him with moss and tomlinsonchampionshiiiiiip.....

Users who are viewing this thread