What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official 2012 Cincy Bengals Season Thread*** (1 Viewer)

QuizGuy66

Footballguy
I figured I'd start up a fresh Bengals thread with the opening of the season coming up for us on Monday night. Marvin's tended to have Baltimore's number over the years. Here's to hoping that the interior line holds up enough to let Dalton and Green work some magic! :boxing:

Who Dey!

-QG

Last edited by a moderator:
My random thoughts on week 1.

My concerns are primarily with the banged up Oline. Really hope they don't get Dalton killed.

I have hopes that Gruden will put together a good game plan to get the ball out of Dalton's hands quickly. As expected, the preseason has been extremely vanilla. Looking forward to seeing what they put together with a full training camp.

Other points of concern is the secondary. Torrey Smith is a deep threat that worries me with the current state of our CB's.

Need to see the D-line be able to get pressure on Flacco to prohibit deep plays developing, and need them to control the fight at LOS and keep Rice from breaking that big play that he seems to always pull off against us.

I think AJ will get his, I would like to see someone step up and lay claim to WR2 in a big way. Personally I like Binns for this role, big guy, catches with his hands, and has big play ability.

Hope Gruden can find a way to bring Gresham up into that top tier of TE's. He has the physical skills, I hope they can take advantage of the mismatches that he can bring to the table.

A win on Monday night will create that spark that will not only get the team some confidence, but will also get the weary fanbase on board. As ridiculous as it is, a loss will put you behind the 8ball early and put the thoughts of "must win" in the minds of the team and fans alike.

Step 1: do better than 0-8 against playoff teams like in 2011. :)

Seriously though, there are worse things than having Dalton/Gresham/Green to build an offense around.

Not that this is the place, but it's been over a qtr century since the Raiders have won.

If you care to continue, feel free to PM or start a thread boasting of the 3 championships the Raiders won while hopped up on steroids and uppers.

Best of luck with Pick6.

/now back to your regularly scheduled thread.

'notdarkyet said:
Not that this is the place, but it's been over a qtr century since the Raiders have won. If you care to continue, feel free to PM or start a thread boasting of the 3 championships the Raiders won while hopped up on steroids and uppers. Best of luck with Pick6./now back to your regularly scheduled thread.
:goodposting:This is the official BENGALS thread.Wonder how long Faine will last as #1 Center :unsure: -QG

There seem to be two camps on Faine. One he is a cap casualty, good center. The other is he is a bum on his last legs. I certainly hope it's the former, but fear it is the latter. Who knows, the DAL line was in shambles too and they came together nicely.

random thoughts from week 2.

Dalton stepped up well (though the overthrows are a concern) - his protection leaves a lot to be desired though.

Running game looks solid. I still think as we get to tougher opponents we should be more run-oriented.

Our pass defense is awful - I think a big part is that we aren't getting enough pressure. We are back to getting killed on 3rd and 15. Weeden's numbers left me very very worried here.

Bottom line is that I wish we've arrived, but we haven't. Not until we can do something about the pass defense. Teams also know that we overpursue - we've already faced a lot of reverses, fake reverses and screens.

RG3 is going to be a big challenge this week - this game will tell a lot about how our season is going to go.

-QG

Bengals offense can play with the best of them out there. I like how Hawkins has stepped up and the addition of Benjarvis seems to be a good one so far. Gresham hasnt stepped up like i was hoping in the beginning of the season, but i wouldnt say he is playing bad, i just thought he would be a better #2 option on offense behind Green.

Bengals defense is the worst it has been in a while, which is saying a lot. The secondary is one of the weakest in the league. Hall has been getting burned this year and I dont see Kirkpatrick having that big of an impact when he gets back from injury, but you really can't do much worse than Newman, Clements and Pacman. Who continue to get burned by weak players like Little and Massoqui. The more i watch Geno Atkins play, the more i like him, but he can't provide all the pressure on the QB, we have to have Dunlap back and Johnson needs to play better. Maualuga continues to disappoint not living up to expectations, i thought he would step up big this year due to contract year. At least Taylor Mays didnt get any defensive snaps this week, he looked bad in week 1, i understand why the 49ers cut him.

Redskins and RG3 are going to pick the Bengals secondary apart, they never did play well against a QB who is a dual threat as a passer and runner.

My random thoughts.

The Dline play in the first half was stellar. Having Dunlap back appears to make all the difference in the world. I thought RG3 was going to get carted off with some of those hits he took.

Michael Johnson was dominant.

I am ready to pull the plug on Maualuga. Dude just seems lost.

Burfict laid a couple nice hits.

Holy crap do the Bengals have receiving threats or what? Binns, Hawkins, AJ, Gresham all making contributions. Nice to see Gresham targeted in the redzone.

Color me shocked that it took the lawfirm 3 games to fumble. Running offense leaves a bit to be desired.

Love the creativity on offense from Gruden.

I agree with everything you said. Dunlap makes everyone else on the DLine look so much better. That guy makes so many big plays from DE it's crazy.

It was refreshing to see some of the throws made by Dalton. It looks like they're opening the offense up a lot more this year.

Obviously, the Sanu-Green play was an amazing start.

It looks like Donald Lee is who they chose to release - clearly they are happy with how Orson Charles is coming along.

I will add that I think Crocker is a character guy - though I still have nightmares about that Houston game last year.

-QG

- will post some thoughts later.
Please do. From watching at home, my thoughts are- Is the O-line going in the right direction or is Skins' pass rush ####? It seemed like Andy had a lot of time in the pocket and he surely took advantage of it!- Has Binns won the battle for WR2? It seems like it and I think he deserves it- Was that the real Johnson or an outlier? He seemed like playing for his life suddenly. - Can Zimmer fix broken things or what?- Has Marvin handed nearly all the play calling over to Gruden? Surely the idea of having Sanu throw a 70 yard TD wasn't conceived in Marvin's brain?If the Defensive front 7 are for real, then we only need a secondary (Leon and Dre, please get well soon) and the O-line to rush block better and then we have a really really good team!

Bernard finally does a couple things and bam, he's probably out for the year.

Lots of wrong decisions - going for 1 in the 4th quarter when down 5?!??

Wasting a timeout on defense and then giving up the first down anyway? :(

We had to have this one. The schedule gets MUCH tougher in the 2nd half.

A lot of hope for the future, but I don't think this is the year we take the big step up. I hope I'm wrong.

-QG

Here's hoping we address RB, LB, and Safety in the draft.

This is now a zombie season. There will be all plausible appearances of it being alive, but it realy is undead. The 2nd-half schedule gets much tougher.

Only a sweep of the Steelers can save the season now and I don't see that from this bunch.

Should be 5-1 but instead are 3-3. Time to talk 2013 draft.

-QG

The most brutal part is that 9-7 is almost certainly going to make the playoffs in the AFC and 8-8 might.

There's like 40 teams tied with 3 losses right now, but I do not see it.

-QG

Interesting to note that Marvin Jones looks to be getting more snaps and they might dress Whalen for the first time all year.

Linky

As I mentioned elsewhere, I think the Bengals are not going to go with a "true" #2 WR in terms of targets - it will be a rotating cast. Can't see Jones getting more work as helping the stock of Binns or Hawkins.

-QG

I think it was to be expected. Binns got the chance but didn't take it. It's partly because Andy doesn't have the time (and/or experience) to look his way after AJ and Gresham, but Binns have had trouble getting open IMO.

So even though I (still) have Binns in five of my seven leagues, I hope the rookie WR gets more snaps to see what they can do. We can still make the play-off's this year, but I would rather spent the time on finding a legimate WR2 for next season. So, more Jones and Sanu, please

I think it was to be expected. Binns got the chance but didn't take it. It's partly because Andy doesn't have the time (and/or experience) to look his way after AJ and Gresham, but Binns have had trouble getting open IMO. So even though I (still) have Binns in five of my seven leagues, I hope the rookie WR gets more snaps to see what they can do. We can still make the play-off's this year, but I would rather spent the time on finding a legimate WR2 for next season. So, more Jones and Sanu, please
Binns was a catch in traffic guy in college, billed as one pre-NFL draft, and has played as one every time he's seen the field for the Bengals. I'm really not sure why his lack of separation seems to suddenly be a problem for the coaches, but whatever. I prefer Binns over the others for now, but I reserve the right to change my mind when Jones blows up. :boxing: If they're serious about making both of these guys active that would mean at minimum one of Sanu/Binns/Tate becomes inactive. Last week Sanu was inactive.I'm as big of a supporter as Dalton has on these boards, but honestly the revolving door at WR is only an excuse. He had plenty of oppurtunities this past week and he missed most of them. He also made some big negative plays. He's a good player, but these last 2 weeks he has hurt us.The defense is slowly getting better, but man I am tired of railing on the same guys and the same positions for multiple years now. I won't even both to go over them because we all know them. Josh Gordon becoming the latest to run his route 15 yards past our safeties probably destroyed more than a few TVs in Cincy.I'm overall frustrated with the last few weeks, but if we win this week we're back on track. Make it happen. :football:

I'm as big of a supporter as Dalton has on these boards, but honestly the revolving door at WR is only an excuse. He had plenty of oppurtunities this past week and he missed most of them. He also made some big negative plays. He's a good player, but these last 2 weeks he has hurt us.
Agree 100%. But I still think he has the potential to become a very good QB, if not elite. Therefore I'll accept if we miss the play-off's this year if we at least see that Dalton is evolving along with his WR's. I actually think this offense could grow into something really nasty like NE, GB, NO, DET or the likes. But we need the young talents (Gresham included) to develop further. AJ is ridicolous but he can't do it alone

Cincy guys, there is speculation that Todd Haley will keep Heath Miller in to block to help the OL against the dominant Bengals DL. Is there truth to this talk of dominant DL, or us it coachspeak? I see Bengals give up a lot of points, how dominant can they be?

I think I jinxed poor Marvin Jones. Peyton Manning subheader coming soon.

Have to think the over in that game is a mortal lock - I really do not like our chances against him, even with 2 weeks to prepare.

At least the needs are clear.

Btw, how hurt is Faine? Perhaps we'll get a look at the young kid and see if we have something there.

-QG

Vontaze was about the only bright spot from last night. Maualuga might lead the league in tackles once the player is already tackled. Never the first dude there. Move Burfict to Mike, move Maualuga anywhere else.

Vontaze was about the only bright spot from last night. Maualuga might lead the league in tackles once the player is already tackled. Never the first dude there. Move Burfict to Mike, move Maualuga anywhere else.
Alas the UFL has folded, cutting down the options...-QG

I think it was to be expected. Binns got the chance but didn't take it. It's partly because Andy doesn't have the time (and/or experience) to look his way after AJ and Gresham, but Binns have had trouble getting open IMO. So even though I (still) have Binns in five of my seven leagues, I hope the rookie WR gets more snaps to see what they can do. We can still make the play-off's this year, but I would rather spent the time on finding a legimate WR2 for next season. So, more Jones and Sanu, please
I think maybe we found our WR2

Well, I figured this was a zombie team that didn't have a chance at the playoffs at 3-5, but I really didn't figure on the problems the Steelers would have and of course the complete 180 by our defense. Can't be a zombie team if you control your own destiny so I am pleased to say that I was wrong :) The last 3 games have been amazing and hopefully they can keep it up next week in San Diego. Still think we are distinct underdogs to make the playoffs but the coaching staff has them believing again, so who knows.

Random thoughts:

I think you're absolutely right Danish Bengal and that Mo Sanu really has come into his own of late. It'd be a massive help obviously if he can take pressure off AJ.

Gresham is just a bull. He ain't fast but wow is tough to take down once he gets going.

Robinson is doing a solid job at center for a rookie. Good to see.

Here's to some meaningful December football :boxing:

WHO DEY!

-QG

Cincy guys, there is speculation that Todd Haley will keep Heath Miller in to block to help the OL against the dominant Bengals DL. Is there truth to this talk of dominant DL, or us it coachspeak? I see Bengals give up a lot of points, how dominant can they be?
I think we have our answer to this. Maybe the most dominant DL in football the last month. Atkins has to be the best DT in the NFL and Dunlap has been a terror when healthy.They're masking a lot of defensive problems right now, but if they can keep it up that's OK with me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Agreed, defense has totally turned around from the atrocious start they had. Heckuva job by Zimmer once again.

-QG

Well here we are at week 16 and not only do our formerly 3-5 Bengals have a chance at the playoffs, they actually can clinch this week!

The simple path to the playoffs is clear enough:

Beat Pittsburgh and we're in. If Baltimore loses too this week then we can also win the division next week.

The first alternate path is also pretty clear:

If we lose to Pittsburgh, we can still make it if Win and Pitt loses/ties or if we tie and Pitt loses.

Then there's the nutty what if we tie this week scenario? Well that's not the worst scenario.

If we tie Pittsburgh this week we clinch with a Win/Tie next week or a Pittsburgh Loss/Tie.

But after these we get to the more mystical scenario. So what happens if the Colts lose out and we lose to Pittsburgh but beat Baltimore?

It gets into the whole Strength of Victory deal, which is pretty close (though we are down 3 games right now which is a lot).

If that ends up tied, it goes to Strength of Schedule, and that is even close (Indy with just a 2 game edge).

AND IF THAT is still tied then it gets really wonky with a comparison of conference combined ranks in PTS Scores/PTS allowed (which actually looks pretty good for us).

The main question though, is, what are we rooting for as Bengals fans besides the obvious? If we split beating BALT and the Colts lose out?

In week 16 these things help our strength of victory (or hurt the Colts):

Green Bay defeats Tennessee

Houston defeats Minnesota

Atlanta defeats Detroit

Oakland defeats Carolina

San Diego defeats Jets

In week 16 these additional games help our strength of schedule (or hurt the Colts):

Dallas defeats New Orleans

Cleveland defeats Denver

Arizona defeats Chicago

Baltimore defeats Giants (and since this is all contingent on our losing in week 16, we no longer give a crap about the Ratbirds anyway)

In week 17 these things help our strength of victory (or hurt the Colts):

Jacksonville defeats Tennessee

New England defeats Miami

Jets defeat Buffalo

Chicago defeats Detroit

Kansas City defeats Denver

Washington defeats Dallas

Nothing not already accounted above in strength of victory would help in terms of strength of schedule - in large because everything is a divisional game.

Again, not all of these things have to happen to get the SOV or SOS tiebreaker over INDY, but most of them do.

-QG

Even though we're locked into #6, still a lot of intrigue next week as we can still play any of the 4 division winners in the wildcard round.

We plays the Ratbirds if:

We lose to them AND New England loses to Miami

We play the Patriots if:

1) The Patriots lose and we win/tie vs the Ravens

OR

2) The Patriots tie

OR

3) The Patriots win and the Broncos win/tie and the Texans win/tie

We play the Broncos if:

The Patriots win and the Broncos lose

We play the Texans if:

The Patriots win and the Broncos win/tie and the Texans lose

So there you go :)

-QG

dont see any chance of beating the pats or broncos. really would like playing the ravens. texans would still afford a decent shot. regardless, seems like 90% to face the pats. marvin vs belichick. lol.

dont see any chance of beating the pats or broncos. really would like playing the ravens. texans would still afford a decent shot. regardless, seems like 90% to face the pats. marvin vs belichick. lol.
I'm not booking any trips to Foxboro just yet (actually I don't know that I'd book a trip anywhere but Baltimore unfortunately as the those other 3 venues are a little far for me). The Texans have never won in Indy and it's conceivable that the Colts will put more into this game than you'd expect since Pagano will be back for the first time. I am obviously dubious of the Chiefs chances against the Broncos and somewhat dubious of the Dolphins chances against the Patriots. But you never know.Regardless this team is playing some great confident football. 6-1 in their last 7. 6-2 on the road this year (and 4 wins in a row on the road). Only 85 points allowed in the last 7 games (after giving up 218 points in their first 8 - what a job by Zimmer). Any of these opponents will be tough, for sure, but I'm going to enjoy this and I feel we'll have a chance regardless of the opponent.-QG

def a very good team. best bengal team ive seen since i was a kid. far far better than last yr. hate to match up with the goat belichick tho.

I like the way the Bengals defensive front matches up with NE. It is a lot like the Giants team that has given them fits for years. If you can pressure Brady with four, he has had bad games. Ravens and Texans are beatable. I want no part of Peyton in Denver right now.

Back to yesterday. Probably the sweetest win in over 20 years. They went to Pittsburgh with the season on the line for both teams and the Bengals D pushed them around. This was a signature win and a passing of the torch.

Really liking this defense, especially the front 4. Huge win, in what was essentially a playoff game, the Bengals beat a tough division rival on the road. I can see wins against anyone but wouldn't want to deal with a trip to Denver.

Also, this is kind of crazy...

From Lance's Blog:

*Only 5 players on the 53-man roster going into Sunday's game had been born the last time the Bengals made consecutive playoff appearances: Josh Brown, Nate Clements, Chris Crocker, Terrence Newman and Andrew Whitworth.

Read more: http://www.espn1530.com/pages/lancesBlog.html#ixzz2FxzCVIkf

Can't believe there are so few Bengals fans on here. Great atmosphere up here right now. It's hard not to root for this team. :thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread