What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

William Powell (1 Viewer)

Eire32

Footballguy
William Powell led all NFL rushers In preseason.

Beanie on IR. Change of pace scat back LaRod Stephens-Howling is now dealing with a groin injury.

Sleeper

I was waiting for his name to be mentioned. He looked awesome in the preseason. I'm assuming he has zero redraft value but R.Williams isn't exactly the picture of perfect health himself.

Redrafters, wucha think?

I may pick him up as a handcuff to Ryan Williams in a redraft league. Williams may not be able to hold up to a feature role and I think Powell would be next up.

'cstu said:
He was the bomb in My Man Godfrey.
:goodposting: For the life of me, I can't understand why The Thin Man isn't getting more love in this thread.

Powell was a monster in TC and starred in every Cards preseason game. Pretty impressive for a 24 year old undrafted FA who hadn't been on a football field for a real game in a couple years.

He seems like a nice story. Walk on JuCo transfer at K-State, worked hard to win a scholarship, Daniel Thomas was the star but Powell was a fan favorite before getting hurt his Senior Year. Went to the combine and pulled a hammy in his first 40 (4.63, but he's said to be like 4.4-4.5).

For redraft purposes, I want no part of this feel good thing. The Cards have $5M and a 2nd Round pick invested in Williams (and NFL GMs and Coaches are no better than the average Joe at understanding a sunk cost). So even if Ryan fumbles the first two weeks, he still had a solid opportunity waiting for himself when Beanie had the toe problem last weekend.

Just think back to Fred Jackson - Marshawn Lynch era in Buffalo. It took F-Jax three plus years to take the job away, and even then the Bills drafted Spiller. Nobody wants to believe a guy can come out of nowhere and be a stud RB. High draft picks with fat contracts are given 2nd, 3rd, and 4th chances.

Love Williams opportunity in 2012, but if you watched Powell this summer, you have to feel good about holding him in dynasty.

:dot:

they also signed Alfonso Smith back to the roster. all speculation now, Cards fan sites noting Smith knows the system from last year so if he is in game shape he is more likely to take the active spot than Powell this weekend.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nobody wants to believe a guy can come out of nowhere and be a stud RB.
It didn't take long for Arian Foster and Willie Parker, both undrafted RBs, to become starters for their teams. Arian played some at the end of his rookie season (starting 1 game), and was named the starter his second season. Willie Parker filled in for Bettis and Staley (both injured) at the beginning of his second season, and ran away with the starting job. He started 15 of 16 games his second year, and was rewarded a big contract the following season.

Foster and Parker are both great examples of undrafted FAs succeeding, but let's not get too revisionist here. FWP did nothing his rookie year until Week 17? It's been 8 years, I might be misremembering. Foster got cut his rookie year and resigned to the practice squad. That was the year Slaton fumbled four straight weeks to start the year. Got benched a few times, and later got hurt and went on IR. What had Arian done up until then? Nothing, he never dressed. Like FWP, he ended the year with a 100 yard game, and took the job away for good {the next summer].

Sorry for responding to the hijack.

ETA: toddler hit the enter key for me. :lmao:

Foster and Parker are both great examples of undrafted FAs succeeding, but let's not get too revisionist here. FWP did nothing his rookie year until Week 17? It's been 8 years, I might be misremembering. Foster got cut his rookie year and resigned to the practice squad. That was the year Slaton fumbled four straight weeks to start the year. Got benched a few times, and later got hurt and went on IR. What had Arian done up until then? Nothing, he never dressed. Like FWP, he ended the year with a 100 yard game, and took the job away for good {the next summer].
You said nobody wants to believe a guy can come out of nowhere and become a stud RB, but both of these guys did it by the beginning of their second season, because they were given opportunity, and what they did with that opportunity is what mattered to their coaches; not where they were drafted or if they were drafted.

You said nobody wants to believe a guy can come out of nowhere and become a stud RB, but both of these guys did it by the beginning of their second season, because they were given opportunity, and what they did with that opportunity is what mattered to their coaches; not where they were drafted or if they were drafted.
You have made a good point. Congrats.I made a flat statement that lacked nuance. That's like throwing an Eephus pitch on the innerwebs.So what do you say we cease with the binary discussion and take a deeper dive. How many weeks in row to Slaton fumble? Think Foster would have been afforded that luxury in his 2nd season. Well, Slaton was a top notch rookie the year before, but they also had a lot invested in him. Williams fumbled the first two weeks. You think William Powell would be employed if the fumbled his first two games? But because Ryan has a 4 year deal at a not insignificant price, while Powell is league minimum, the former is going to given more latitude and multiple opportunities to succeed or fail. Undrafted FAs, not so much.But sooner or later, it is always about productivity. It is a performance based league.Upthread I said Williams is the guy to own this year for redraft, but if you saw Powell this summer, you feel pretty good about holding him in dynasty.

This guy is the best RB on their roster. I own him in just about every league I'm in from 12 to 16. As a former RB myself and knowing what it takes to make a solid football player, I really like this guy. Just gotta be patient.

This guy is the best RB on their roster. I own him in just about every league I'm in from 12 to 16. As a former RB myself and knowing what it takes to make a solid football player, I really like this guy. Just gotta be patient.
this.I rostered him in all 4 of my leagues. He looked legit in preseason. I'm willing to roll the dice on this kid. Vision, burst and lots of drive in his legs.

I'm gonna go see if I can pick up Warpig off my waiver wire.

I'm gonna go see if I can pick up Warpig off my waiver wire.
I play with a bunch of savvy owners, someone just dropped Chris Johnson for him. Personally, I like the move. He has a #### ton of upside.

I think it's hilarious that fantasy football wiseguys always want the next guy.

when beanie was the incumbent, everybody was talking up williams as the guy to unseat him.

you'd think people would be happy now, but as soon as williams gets the job, the next guy is already the guy to own.

I think it's hilarious that fantasy football wiseguys always want the next guy.when beanie was the incumbent, everybody was talking up williams as the guy to unseat him.you'd think people would be happy now, but as soon as williams gets the job, the next guy is already the guy to own.
People want to stay ahead of the curve? There's nothing wrong with looking at the back-ups behind a RB coming of an ACL tear with ball security issues and minimal NFL experience.

Haven't you heard? This year guys are coming off ACL surgery like we shake off a cold. ADP, Charles, Mendy, Kaeding, that old bag in payroll...

Haven't you heard? This year guys are coming off ACL surgery like we shake off a cold. ADP, Charles, Mendy, Kaeding, that old bag in payroll...
It's merely a variable to consider. It's also only week 3, I'm more curious to see how everyone's knee holds up (I hope they do) once all the work starts adding up.

I think it's hilarious that fantasy football wiseguys always want the next guy.when beanie was the incumbent, everybody was talking up williams as the guy to unseat him.you'd think people would be happy now, but as soon as williams gets the job, the next guy is already the guy to own.
People want to stay ahead of the curve? There's nothing wrong with looking at the back-ups behind a RB coming of an ACL tear with ball security issues and minimal NFL experience.
I don't think he was an acl, but obviously it was a serious injury.

I don't think he was an acl, but obviously it was a serious injury.
Torn patellar tendon.

It's merely a variable to consider. It's also only week 3, I'm more curious to see how everyone's knee holds up (I hope they do) once all the work starts adding up.
Agreed; I was being sarcastic, and I also think we won't be able to call ADP, Britt, et al, a sucessful comeback from injury until they have sustained it over the full season.

Wells is out until week 12 (maybe the rest of the season) and Powell is the next best RB on the team.

Main Reason: 3.4ypc and 2 fumbles on 31 carries isn't going to get you to start for very long.

Powell is a gem of a pickup, because he doesn't have to overcome much to take over... a 3-0 team, who was expected to be 0-3 is going to play whoever performs best to keep things rolling.

Main Reason: 3.4ypc and 2 fumbles on 31 carries isn't going to get you to start for very long.Powell is a gem of a pickup, because he doesn't have to overcome much to take over... a 3-0 team, who was expected to be 0-3 is going to play whoever performs best to keep things rolling.
I agree. All he needs is opportunity like simey was talking about. I don't think Whisenhunt takes too much stock in how much $ is invested in a player. He had no problem sitting Leinart when he was underperforming, and giving the starting gig to Warner.

Thanks for the heads up. Dropped someone I would not have ever used. It's a shot in the dark, but has a chance of paying off. Appreciate the thread

Thanks for the heads up. Dropped someone I would not have ever used. It's a shot in the dark, but has a chance of paying off. Appreciate the thread
Same here - dropped Vick Ballard for Powell.Both backups, but I figured Powell has more upside if the respective starter goes down (and Brown on bye this week).

Just grabbed him. Thanks for the heads-up. I think Beanie will never amount to anything and that Williams was JAG even before his injury. Like the upside here. Thanks again.

Main Reason: 3.4ypc and 2 fumbles on 31 carries isn't going to get you to start for very long.Powell is a gem of a pickup, because he doesn't have to overcome much to take over... a 3-0 team, who was expected to be 0-3 is going to play whoever performs best to keep things rolling.
I agree. All he needs is opportunity like simey was talking about. I don't think Whisenhunt takes too much stock in how much $ is invested in a player. He had no problem sitting Leinart when he was underperforming, and giving the starting gig to Warner.
And, more recently, he had not problem starting Skelton over Kolb.

I think it's good to remember that a patella rupture is a pretty serious injury to come back from, and although Williams seems OK because no one is talking about it, we don't know for sure how effective he'd be with a heavy work load. I can't help but remember guys like Caddy Williams who re-injured the same (or was it the other?) patella tendon the following year, and Mark Clayton who never made it back from his rupture well enough to play again.

Powell should get RBBC-light work if Zona is smart, and if they aren't smart and they overwork Williams and he gets hurt again, Powell may end up the #1 before long. I could see taking Powell as a bench stash and see how the next few weeks shake out.

Why hasnt Powell gotten any carries this year?
Inactive every week.
most teams aren't going to have 4 active RBs in a given week.Wells was active (now in IR)Williams was active (now RB1)LSH was their RB3/3rd down RB/kick returner (I think). If Williams were to get hurt, I doubt they'd rely on LSH, as I don't think he's big enough to be an every-down, between the tackles runner.It's basically between Powell and Alfonso Smith, who was just re-signed (I think). One of these 2 guys will be active (IMO) now that Wells is out for a while. It might be Smith (especially at first), since he was with the team last year, and might know more of the offense/be a known commodity. However, he wasn't exceptional when he had his shots last year, so Powell is the "unknown," and FFers who take a flyer on him "COULD" get rewarded, if Williams were to falter or get hurt.ETA-zamboni beat me to it, but it is still important to note that Alfonso Smith is a part of this equation, as well. Arizona might decide to roll with the "known quantity" instead of giving the younger guy the first shot.

Users who are viewing this thread