What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Time to Sell Andre Johnson (1 Viewer)

Maven

Footballguy
Reasons:

1. His targets thru 4 games are the lowest its been since 2005 in which he played 13 games and accounted for 688yds 2tds.

2. His inability to score double digit touchdowns throughout his career.

3. HOU has rushed 148 times thru 4 games, the most attempts within the past 3 years.

4. He's 31yrs old

5. His targets per game are near career lows.

6. His value is diminishing

7. Injury prone

Within the past week I've tried moving this guy for Victor Cruz, Antonio Brown, Wes Welker, Brandon Lloyd and Percy Harvin striaght up. All owners said no.

Andre simply isn't the same top 10 WR threat we've all known to be this year. I'd suggest selling him ASAP for an upgrade or if you can get a 2 for 1 deal.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you can get top 10 talent in return for him while his name still garners so much value I would absolutely do it. Owen Daniels leads the team in targets, I think that's a good indicator of the actual mindset of HOU. Averaging something like 4 targets a week over the last three weeks just isn't going to cut it.

Reasons:1. His targets thru 4 games are the lowest its been since 2005 in which he played 13 games and accounted for 688yds 2tds.2. His inability to score double digit touchdowns throughout his career.3. HOU has rushed 148 times thru 4 games, the most attempts within the past 3 years.4. He's 31yrs old5. His targets per game are near career lows.6. His value is diminishing7. Injury proneWithin the past week I've tried moving this guy for Victor Cruz, Andre Brown and Percy Harvin striaght up. All owners said no. Andre simply isn't the same top 10 WR threat we've all known to be this year. I'd suggest selling him ASAP for an upgrade or if you can get a 2 for 1 deal.
I had him ranked really low compared to others drafting him in 2nd round.I agree....name only will get you significant talent...say for a borderline #1 RB on a team weak at WR

I bought in big time this year and took him 3rd pick of 3rd of round in 2 drafts. No one will touch him tho for anything relatively fair. His production hasn't killed me, but would love more consistency. Think his targets will go up once they play in some closer games and he just missed a second td in week 3

I bought in big time this year and took him 3rd pick of 3rd of round in 2 drafts. No one will touch him tho for anything relatively fair. His production hasn't killed me, but would love more consistency. Think his targets will go up once they play in some closer games and he just missed a second td in week 3
Their defense is killig his value. They don't need him to beat anyone in their own division and that in itself is 6 games. He also doesn't ##### about it like most superstar WRs. Jerry Rice, regardless of the score and wins, #####ed following a 2-20 game.

When looking at the OP, I had to check the posting date 3 times. I assumed it was from 2 years ago.....but alas, not the case.

The time to sell is not now. It was at the end of the 2010 season.

I put him on the block in my dynasty league and was just offered my choice of almendola, nate washington, dez, andre roberts, kerley, or mike williams(TB) for Johnson. I get to pick one. Not sure which or if I even will.

I put him on the block in my dynasty league and was just offered my choice of almendola, nate washington, dez, andre roberts, kerley, or mike williams(TB) for Johnson. I get to pick one. Not sure which or if I even will.
Take the dude who gets targeted a bajillion times a game.

I would trade Andre for Dez in a heartbeat in dynasty.

Talent and age aren't an issue yet, he's still making corners look silly. Texans just haven't been in situations they have needed to throw the ball a lot.

I wouldn't try to trade him right now. You'd be selling low. After the Jets he has Green Bay and the Ravens, both teams that he may see a lot more passes. I'd wait to try to trade him in the hopes that his perceived value peaks after those games.

I agree that the way the Texans are playing, and with the rest of their schedule, that he won't be himself for fantasy this year.

I'm not trading him. He's still a mid WR2, and has had two of four double digit weeks scoring so it's not like we need a fire sale here. Redraft of course.

eta--not like there's a huge market either though anyone is marketable. He does have one of the better schedules finishing out.

all depends on what you can get but I would be careful that you are selling low. The concern with AJ coming into this year was not the talent but the health. He's healthy thus far and looks dominant when used. The "when used" is of course the concern. Last week he had 53 yards in the first few minutes of the game and then they no longer needed him.

about no longer needing him. The Texans have played pathetic offenses in 3 of their first 4 games (MIA, JAX, DEN, TEN). It doesn't get any better this week with NYJ, but after that, things look up overall with games against GB, BAL, DET, NE, CHI still on the schedule. He will be needed more in some of these games.

He's not a 1st round WR anymore but you didn't draft him in the 1st (I hope). I believe his ADP was early 3rd.

Reasons:1. His targets thru 4 games are the lowest its been since 2005 in which he played 13 games and accounted for 688yds 2tds.2. His inability to score double digit touchdowns throughout his career.3. HOU has rushed 148 times thru 4 games, the most attempts within the past 3 years.4. He's 31yrs old5. His targets per game are near career lows.6. His value is diminishing7. Injury proneWithin the past week I've tried moving this guy for Victor Cruz, Andre Brown and Percy Harvin striaght up. All owners said no. Andre simply isn't the same top 10 WR threat we've all known to be this year. I'd suggest selling him ASAP for an upgrade or if you can get a 2 for 1 deal.
If u offered him for andre Roberts you are a fool, yet not quite as foolish as the guy who turned down that deal.Cruz and Harvin are top 5 wrs. No wonder thy didn't want that.

If u offered him for andre Roberts you are a fool, yet not quite as foolish as the guy who turned down that deal.Cruz and Harvin are top 5 wrs. No wonder thy didn't want that.
I'm gonna assume he meant Antonio Brown there...

I would like to add, if you are planning on selling him, you may want to wait until after this week. Simply put, NYJ has absolutely no one who can cover him. One deep bomb is all it takes and it will happen this week.

Trading now is selling low.

I rather trade for AJ than sell at his current price.

Maybe trading across positions (WR for RB, QB, or TE) may be the smarter thing to do.

Age or skill level are very clearly not the issue here. When thrown to the dude is still as good as it gets in the NFL. Problem is the "when thrown to" part has just been ridiculous. For the life of me I can't understand why he isn't being targeted more and why they are so content to just run Arian into the ground on a weekly basis. Foster has carried the ball 25+ times in just about every game and they are obviously going to need the dude in the playoffs. Why not just play like the Patriots and continue to mix the offense up regardless of the score? It will only help the team later on when they can't just run the ball into the ground and rely on the D to win the game. This all being said.. Andre almost always tears it up in prime time.. so don't be foolish and trade him away right now as not only does he have a monday night game coming up but he also has back to back tough match up's for the team... which sadly is more important than how the match up is for Andre (not like anyone can really stop him anyways though).

Age or skill level are very clearly not the issue here. When thrown to the dude is still as good as it gets in the NFL. Problem is the "when thrown to" part has just been ridiculous. For the life of me I can't understand why he isn't being targeted more and why they are so content to just run Arian into the ground on a weekly basis. Foster has carried the ball 25+ times in just about every game and they are obviously going to need the dude in the playoffs. Why not just play like the Patriots and continue to mix the offense up regardless of the score? It will only help the team later on when they can't just run the ball into the ground and rely on the D to win the game. This all being said.. Andre almost always tears it up in prime time.. so don't be foolish and trade him away right now as not only does he have a monday night game coming up but he also has back to back tough match up's for the team... which sadly is more important than how the match up is for Andre (not like anyone can really stop him anyways though).
Lesson to take home: Don't draft foster next year and take Tate if he decides to stay heatlhty ;) .

'geoff8695 said:
'Hipple said:
So the OP is befuddled why nobody will give him a top 5 guy for a 10-15 guy?

I would actually be buying him right now if this is his consensus value. He is still VERY skilled. He could easily have about 20 more fantasy points right now (he had one play where Champ Bailey's leg flopped up and kicked the ball out of his hand and one where he dropped one in the sun. Both were big bombs. He's also had a couple called back on penalties.

Point being, the Texans may not air it out as much now but they do still go play-action and AJ is still the primary target in that aspect and he IS capable.

Also, the schedule so far has set up to where the texans haven't needed to do much to win games but if you look at weeks 14-16 (ff playoffs), they play the Pats, Colts, and Vikes. All three of those games could easily be high scoring games.

I think this might be a case where people are looking at straight-line comparisons of past and present and seeing a set of numbers that suggest one thing, but if you put it into context of what the team is doing, there is a different story.

I would actually be buying him right now if this is his consensus value. He is still VERY skilled. He could easily have about 20 more fantasy points right now (he had one play where Champ Bailey's leg flopped up and kicked the ball out of his hand and one where he dropped one in the sun. Both were big bombs. He's also had a couple called back on penalties. Point being, the Texans may not air it out as much now but they do still go play-action and AJ is still the primary target in that aspect and he IS capable.Also, the schedule so far has set up to where the texans haven't needed to do much to win games but if you look at weeks 14-16 (ff playoffs), they play the Pats, Colts, and Vikes. All three of those games could easily be high scoring games.I think this might be a case where people are looking at straight-line comparisons of past and present and seeing a set of numbers that suggest one thing, but if you put it into context of what the team is doing, there is a different story.
:goodposting: The guy is still elite and he's healthy. The Texans have monkey stomped their opponents in all four games and didn't need to throw the ball (the Denver final score looked a lot closer than the game was). The only game he saw 10 targets in was the Miami game where the Texans started out slow. I imagine he'll be back in the 10-12 targets per game range in most games that aren't out of hand by the 2nd quarter.I'm looking to acquire him in the leagues that I don't have him.

Have received a variety of offers for one of my defenses (SF & HOU) from the owner of Johnson. One offer was a one for one (SF for Johnson).

Our scoring system is such that def scoring is a combination of yards and points allowed, and turnovers. To put it into perspective, SF currently has 60 points on the season and Johnson has 48.

The other team needs alot of help on def and I could use another WR.

Am I over thinking this offer or what? I found it odd that Johnson would be offered up so soon (because he has been close to having better games) especially for a def. That's why I find it interesting that this thread was started.

Talent and age aren't an issue yet, he's still making corners look silly. Texans just haven't been in situations they have needed to throw the ball a lot.I wouldn't try to trade him right now. You'd be selling low. After the Jets he has Green Bay and the Ravens, both teams that he may see a lot more passes. I'd wait to try to trade him in the hopes that his perceived value peaks after those games.I agree that the way the Texans are playing, and with the rest of their schedule, that he won't be himself for fantasy this year.
:goodposting:Personally I'd still hold out hope that Houston plays in a bunch of competitive games -- or that Johnson gets his #s early. For example, I still would love to start him this week against the Jets, who will surely focus on stopping the run this week and may leave him in single coverage vs. Cromartie.Regardless, tho, he's an elite talent. The Texans at some point will target him more. Selling now is the definition of selling low (okay, maybe in 7 days after the Jets lose 41-0 and Johnson gets 2 targets, that will be the definition of selling low. But you get my point.)

Have received a variety of offers for one of my defenses (SF & HOU) from the owner of Johnson. One offer was a one for one (SF for Johnson).Our scoring system is such that def scoring is a combination of yards and points allowed, and turnovers. To put it into perspective, SF currently has 60 points on the season and Johnson has 48.The other team needs alot of help on def and I could use another WR.Am I over thinking this offer or what? I found it odd that Johnson would be offered up so soon (because he has been close to having better games) especially for a def. That's why I find it interesting that this thread was started.
Please tell me you made this trade.

Talent and age aren't an issue yet, he's still making corners look silly. Texans just haven't been in situations they have needed to throw the ball a lot.I wouldn't try to trade him right now. You'd be selling low. After the Jets he has Green Bay and the Ravens, both teams that he may see a lot more passes. I'd wait to try to trade him in the hopes that his perceived value peaks after those games.I agree that the way the Texans are playing, and with the rest of their schedule, that he won't be himself for fantasy this year.
:goodposting:Personally I'd still hold out hope that Houston plays in a bunch of competitive games -- or that Johnson gets his #s early. For example, I still would love to start him this week against the Jets, who will surely focus on stopping the run this week and may leave him in single coverage vs. Cromartie.Regardless, tho, he's an elite talent. The Texans at some point will target him more. Selling now is the definition of selling low (okay, maybe in 7 days after the Jets lose 41-0 and Johnson gets 2 targets, that will be the definition of selling low. But you get my point.)
:goodposting: He's a huge buy low, IMO. The OP is obviously frustrated with the start, but he's forcing his reasoning. Reasons 1 and 5 are duplicates and a factor of #3. 31 isn't old for a WR. Selling while his value is diminishing is a major mistake, unless you think he's going to get worse. I think we can all agree that his production right now is his floor. The talent is still there. They won't blow everyone out like they have for 3 of the first 4 weeks. He'll get his.

Talent and age aren't an issue yet, he's still making corners look silly. Texans just haven't been in situations they have needed to throw the ball a lot.
He was wide open for a TD against the Titans, but I think Schaub got hit as he was making the throw. Would've been an easy score.

'geoff8695 said:
'Hipple said:
:bag:

This thread is a virtual guarantee that AJ will pick this week to have one of his 11-200 with 3 td days and demolish my team singlehandedly.

This thread is a virtual guarantee that AJ will pick this week to have one of his 11-200 with 3 td days and demolish my team singlehandedly.
You might be right. I'm sure the Jets will try to stop foster at all costs and will be pedestrian, at best, on offense. So the Texans should have a lot of offensive series and I'm guessing they put Cromartie on him. That guy is good and athletic but he's also a gambler and doesn't face many guys with the size, speed, and athleticism of AJ. I can see AJ giving him the treatment that he used to give Finnegan....or Innegan I should say cause AJ used to beat the F out of him routinely.

Johnson is the same but the texans are a different team. With Foster and Tate and a tough defense there is no need to throw it like the past. They now are protecting leads instead of trying to come back from 2-3 scores down. That means more wins but less chances for Johnson.

Personally I'd still hold out hope that Houston plays in a bunch of competitive games -- or that Johnson gets his #s early. For example, I still would love to start him this week against the Jets, who will surely focus on stopping the run this week and may leave him in single coverage vs. Cromartie.

Regardless, tho, he's an elite talent. The Texans at some point will target him more. Selling now is the definition of selling low (okay, maybe in 7 days after the Jets lose 41-0 and Johnson gets 2 targets, that will be the definition of selling low. But you get my point.)
I'm starting him this week--and have every week. Playing a Receiver-centric game you know there will be up weeks and down, and he's in an offense that's good at taking what the defense gives. He's had two real good weeks out of four and I don't intend to miss the next one.
Have received a variety of offers for one of my defenses (SF & HOU) from the owner of Johnson. One offer was a one for one (SF for Johnson).

Our scoring system is such that def scoring is a combination of yards and points allowed, and turnovers. To put it into perspective, SF currently has 60 points on the season and Johnson has 48.

The other team needs alot of help on def and I could use another WR.

Am I over thinking this offer or what? I found it odd that Johnson would be offered up so soon (because he has been close to having better games) especially for a def. That's why I find it interesting that this thread was started.
No brainer to me as well. He's shown enough to know he's back full strength from last years injury.

:goodposting: The guy is still elite and he's healthy. The Texans have monkey stomped their opponents in all four games and didn't need to throw the ball (the Denver final score looked a lot closer than the game was). The only game he saw 10 targets in was the Miami game where the Texans started out slow. I imagine he'll be back in the 10-12 targets per game range in most games that aren't out of hand by the 2nd quarter.I'm looking to acquire him in the leagues that I don't have him.
Stat from somewhere I read recently: in last 8 Schaub starts, Hou is 8-0 and has outscored opponents by 160 points. Killing teams. They don't need to throw it more than 25 times a game.But, injuries to any skill players can shift the 'need' for Andre in the HOU offense. I think he has the skills to be a top 5 WR...probably for 2-3 more years. Because of that, I can't see giving him away in Dynasty. You might end up with a ReWayne type year anytime for the next 4 years.

Have received a variety of offers for one of my defenses (SF & HOU) from the owner of Johnson. One offer was a one for one (SF for Johnson).Our scoring system is such that def scoring is a combination of yards and points allowed, and turnovers. To put it into perspective, SF currently has 60 points on the season and Johnson has 48.The other team needs alot of help on def and I could use another WR.Am I over thinking this offer or what? I found it odd that Johnson would be offered up so soon (because he has been close to having better games) especially for a def. That's why I find it interesting that this thread was started.
Yes.

Guy in my league is stacked WR. I am doing well at QB, but weak at WR. I offered Andy Dalton for either AJ or Colston. Colston offer has been turned down. AJ trade is still out there, so it has not been accepted nor denied. We'll see what happens. Trade expires tonight.

When looking at the OP, I had to check the posting date 3 times. I assumed it was from 2 years ago.....but alas, not the case.The time to sell is not now. It was at the end of the 2010 season.
BOOM! Keaton is right on the money.
You almost got it right. The time to sell AJ has not yet occurred. He's still the same guy. People have just seriously over-emphasized a year (2011) in which he was hurt. This line of thinking is like saying "Should have sold AP at the end of 2010". yeah, he got hurt last year and was down, but don't gloss over the fact that these guys are back now, healthy, and they still have all the skill they ever had.The NFL turns very quickly. And sometimes, it turns back. So, when you look at the texans in late september and say the Texans are world-beaters and they don't need to use AJ anymore, so therefore you should have sold, you might be overlooking what may be in December, when you REALLY want a proven stud WR1 that is the clear primary WR on his team. At that point of the season, against the teams they play, he might be a big part of some championship teams. Look past the "now" and examine the player. If you have elite players who flat out dominated their position for multiple seasons and they, themselves, haven't lost their skill, then there is no "shoulda sold them" date.

I've had him on my dynasty team since his rookie year. I'm never selling. Been a nice ride and I've drafted his replacement. It's all good.

Just got an offer in my dynasty on AJ for Stevie Johnson. I love SJ's age and he's putting up similar #s in my league should I be considering something like this?

Just got an offer in my dynasty on AJ for Stevie Johnson. I love SJ's age and he's putting up similar #s in my league should I be considering something like this?
I would try to get something better than Stevie, maybe Harvin or Cruz.

Users who are viewing this thread