What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

I'm quitting the Lions (1 Viewer)

BobbyLayne

Footballguy
I can't take it anymore. I'm not investing myself in a team that will never know how to do what it takes to win. I'm sick of being miserable every fall. I'm choosing happiness over being loyal to a franchise that doesn't deserve my fanaticism.

Earliest memories: rookie Lem Barney intercepting Bart Starr, rolling over & running in a pick six. He and Mel Farr won defensive and offensive RotY in 1967.

Earliest non-memory. Collicky 3-month old baby boy was interrupting the family Thanksgiving. Grandpa laid me down in front of the t.v. The sights and sounds of Alex Karras & Co sacking Bart Starr eleven times calmed and soothed.

An eight year old boy had his heart broken by a half-footed kicker nailing a 63 yarder as time expired. First year starter Greg Landry - the last Detroit QB to go to a pro bowl - had driven the Lions to the 1 yard line and the go ahead FG. Could have run the clock down to 5 seconds, but excitedly called time out with 19 ticks left. Just enough time to field the kickoff, Billy Kilmer completed a 17 yard square out, and Tom Dempsey trotted out for his 15 minutes of fame.

Beat old man Blanda 18 days later on turkey day later en route to a wild card birth. Lost the lowest scoring playoff game ever, 5-0. Also lost (at the time) the highest scoring playoff game 25 years later, 58-37. We're unique, eh?

That 1970 playoff team was the only post-season appearance in the first quarter century after their 4th and last NFL Championship. In the 42 years since, Monte Clark prayed his way to two playoff births, Wayne Fontes smoked his way to four late season runs, Bobby Ross drove them to two Super Bowl tournaments, and Jim Schwartz last year. All 9 seasons ended with a thud, the only interruption to the ineptitude being the glorious Thumbs Up campaign of 1991, when we thumped the Cowboys 38-7.

That was the greatest day of my life. OK, third greatest, my kids might see this one day.

This team has teased and broken my heart scores of times in every conceivable manner. Nick Eddy getting hurt every GD year, Chuck Hughes dying on the field of Tiger Stadium (the only inigame fatality in the history of the league), 3rd stringer Jeff Komlo sleep walking the team through the 2-14 year that landed the team Billy Sims, becoming the first (and in 30+ years of OT, only) team to lose sudden death by giving up a kickoff return, Barry Sanders rushing for negative 13 yards in a playoff game, and too many embarrassing national t.v. losses to recount here.

I'm done. 50 years of pain is too much for any man. I'm going to spend the rest of 2012 deciding who to become a fan of next.

Has to be northeast - can't see rooting for the Eagles, Pats or Redskins. Bills remind me too much of the Lions. Jets, ditto. Probably going Big Blue. Maybe I'll petition Joe to change my user name to Y.Am Tittle. But you know how it is, you need six months to a year to find yourself again after a breakup.

The ####### Ford family are the worst owners in all of sports. The don't care about winning, it's about shareholder value, and they make one inept hire after another. But whatever - the only objective here is complete apathy towards all things honululu blue and silver.

Love Detroit, all their other sports teams, and think my home state has more natural beauty than any other. But when it comes to the NFL, no Más.

I think you can make a decision to care less about the Lions, but don't think you'll ever be able to truly be a "fan" of another team again.

I know how you feel. I was born in Detroit and moved to Arizona as a kid (I'm 46 now). I've loved the Lions my whole life, and I've been huge Cardinals fan ever since they moved here. Think how it feels to have not just your favorite, but your two favorite teams be laughing stocks.

But think about this. After all the failures and embarrassments, going to Tampa to see the Cardinals play in the Super Bowl was one of the best experiences of my life. With the teams I root for, it will probably never happen again. But part of the fun (if you can call it that) of rooting for a bad franchise is the hope that one day you might catch lightning in a bottle and make a run like the Cards did a few years back. I believe those types of runs mean more to guys like you and me than they do to the average Steelers, Patriots, or Giants fans because those moment are so few and far between for us. If you give up now, you are giving up on ever experiencing a moment like that. You might start to like another franchise, but you will never love it. It is the difference between thinking a girl is hot and experiencing true love.

Don't give up on true love.

I know how you feel. I was born in Detroit and moved to Arizona as a kid (I'm 46 now). I've loved the Lions my whole life, and I've been huge Cardinals fan ever since they moved here. Think how it feels to have not just your favorite, but your two favorite teams be laughing stocks. But think about this. After all the failures and embarrassments, going to Tampa to see the Cardinals play in the Super Bowl was one of the best experiences of my life. With the teams I root for, it will probably never happen again. But part of the fun (if you can call it that) of rooting for a bad franchise is the hope that one day you might catch lightning in a bottle and make a run like the Cards did a few years back. I believe those types of runs mean more to guys like you and me than they do to the average Steelers, Patriots, or Giants fans because those moment are so few and far between for us. If you give up now, you are giving up on ever experiencing a moment like that. You might start to like another franchise, but you will never love it. It is the difference between thinking a girl is hot and experiencing true love.Don't give up on true love.
As a Saint fan, I agree 100%.

I think you can make a decision to care less about the Lions, but don't think you'll ever be able to truly be a "fan" of another team again.
:goodposting:At least the Lions are dreadful all the time; I would have thought that would have resulted in their suckitude not hurting as much
That's how it is for me. They're the easiest team to root for, because I have no expectations of them accomplishing anything.

I feel your pain brother. I haven't quit being a Lions fan but did decide to care a lot less a long time ago. It was around the same time I started playing fantasy football and Barry retired.

My best Lions fan memory was getting tickets to the '94 Lions v. Bucs game where Barry rushed for 237 yds. And how crazy is it that Jason Hanson played in that game and in last night's game.

Last edited by a moderator:
Last night's loss set you off but not the 0-16 season?

Also, Dave Williams is not the only guy to end a sudden death overtime game with a kickoff return.

Last night's loss set you off but not the 0-16 season?Also, Dave Williams is not the only guy to end a sudden death overtime game with a kickoff return.
The difference is that after last season fans have a new level of expectation. The team has not nearly played up to those expectations. The Lion's suck and it is hard to watch.

Also, Dave Williams is not the only guy to end a sudden death overtime game with a kickoff return.
[*]Tipping point; long time coming.

[*]Link? I'm aware of Favre and Tebow throwing first play bombs; somebody (Hasselback?) might have thrown a first play pick six. No other kickoff return for a TD to end an OT before the first play from scrimmage.

I feel your pain brother. I haven't quit being a Lions fan but did decide to care a lot less a long time ago. It was around the same time I started playing fantasy football and Barry retired. My best Lions fan memory was getting tickets to the '94 Lions v. Bucs game where Barry rushed for 237 yds. And how crazy is it that Jason Hanson played in that game and in last night's game.
Moving away 13 years ago, witnessing the excellence of the Giants and Pats year in and year out, were factors. Realizing I'm a virtual island being a passionate Lions fans was a wake up call. All my siblings, uncles, nieces & nephews don't care anymore, as well as most of my college buddies. Took me a long time to get to this point.

tuned in late to the game last night.. not sure what that offense was doing in the last 5 minutes.. they were in no hurry to stop the clock or hike the ball.. way to lose a game :thumbup:

Step away, but you'll never leave. One great thing about the NFL is that it is one of the best forms of entertainment in the history of the universe. (Only second to Spearmint Rhino in Vegas) Despite how chitty one's team may be, one can still find much enjoyment with the rest of the weekly match-ups. Sunday will always be a holiday.

Step away, but you'll never leave. One great thing about the NFL is that it is one of the best forms of entertainment in the history of the universe. (Only second to Spearmint Rhino in Vegas) Despite how chitty one's team may be, one can still find much enjoyment with the rest of the weekly match-ups. Sunday will always be a holiday.
Agreed - the NFL is the best entertainment in the world. I like to think of myself as a well-rounded individual, take my son to museums, my daughter to ballet and modern dance, my wife to the opera and symphony. Nothing compares to watching blurring violent collisions and individual athletic brilliance. It is the closest we'll ever come to watching gladiators at the coliseum. There is a passion that comes with being an NFL fan that is incomparable.Love the league, and quite surprisingly, it replaced MLB (my participant sport for 9 summers growing up) as my favorite, and love sports in general. But when it comes to the having a team, I'm going nomad for awhile.Spearmint Rhino... :unsure:ETA: :excited: (not exactly a Vegas or strip club guy, but I can be persuaded)

Don't give up. I had season tickets to the NY Rangers for years, and waited forever for a Stanley Cup, while the Islanders won 4 straight. Made me sick to see that. I stuck with them, even as opposing fans taunted us with chants of "1940", the last year they had won. They finally came through in '94, and I was there to cheer them on. Made the wait well worth it.

[*]Link? I'm aware of Favre and Tebow throwing first play bombs; somebody (Hasselback?) might have thrown a first play pick six. No other kickoff return for a TD to end an OT before the first play from scrimmage.
Chad Morton ended a 2002 kickoff weekend overtime game with a kickoff return.

I know how you feel. I was born in Detroit and moved to Arizona as a kid (I'm 46 now). I've loved the Lions my whole life, and I've been huge Cardinals fan ever since they moved here. Think how it feels to have not just your favorite, but your two favorite teams be laughing stocks. Don't give up on true love.
Atl for 15 tes. Though this just might be the year....Certainly the two worst teams OL wise I cold have been stuck with.

I know how you feel. I was born in Detroit and moved to Arizona as a kid ... Think how it feels to have not just your favorite, but your two favorite teams be laughing stocks.
I can trump that. Born and raised near Buffalo, then about 8 years ago I moved to MI.I'm screwed. When the Bills finally do move, I think I'm just going to root for New Orleans. I've always loved that city. I would like to live there some day.I do envy the rare person who doesn't really have a favorite. They just have teams they like, but they are more of a fan of the game. I'm not talking about band-wagoners, either.

It`s the Lions being the Lions.

As a lifelong Lion fan you actually get used to and and expect the worse. It is much more shocking when something good happens than bad. The play on the goalline last night where Bell tries to break the goal line by sticking out the ball was vintage Detroit Lions...Bell was not close enough to try that play and Da Bears swatted the ball away and recovered it.

You can want to quit but I do not think it is possible to switch teams. You can be less of a fan and pay less attention to the Lions but you will always root for them.

I know how you feel. I was born in Detroit and moved to Arizona as a kid ... Think how it feels to have not just your favorite, but your two favorite teams be laughing stocks.
I can trump that. Born and raised near Buffalo, then about 8 years ago I moved to MI.I'm screwed. When the Bills finally do move, I think I'm just going to root for New Orleans. I've always loved that city. I would like to live there some day.I do envy the rare person who doesn't really have a favorite. They just have teams they like, but they are more of a fan of the game. I'm not talking about band-wagoners, either.
I don't envy that at all, and here's why.When the Super Bowl came to Phoenix, I thought it would be a great opportunity to go, after all it was right in my back yard. That was the first Giants/NE game, one of the greatest Super Bowls ever. And it was a blast. Lots of fun.But the next year when the Cardinals made it, I flew to Tampa with some friends and went to the Cards/Pit game. The difference was staggering. When you are emotionally invested in a team, the highs are MUCH higher and the lows are MUCH lower. Even though the Cards lost, I will never forget that experience and rate it in the top five things I've ever done. The Giants/NE Super Bowl probably doesn't even rate in the top 100 things I've ever done.

I don't envy that at all, and here's why.When the Super Bowl came to Phoenix, I thought it would be a great opportunity to go, after all it was right in my back yard. That was the first Giants/NE game, one of the greatest Super Bowls ever. And it was a blast. Lots of fun.But the next year when the Cardinals made it, I flew to Tampa with some friends and went to the Cards/Pit game. The difference was staggering. When you are emotionally invested in a team, the highs are MUCH higher and the lows are MUCH lower. Even though the Cards lost, I will never forget that experience and rate it in the top five things I've ever done. The Giants/NE Super Bowl probably doesn't even rate in the top 100 things I've ever done.
Hmm, that's an interesting take, and based on personal experience. I guess I can't relate to my team being in the Big Game. The run in the 90's I was too young to afford/appreciate it. Being at the Music City Miracle was a pretty memorable event in my life, though.

Chad Morton ended a 2002 kickoff weekend overtime game with a kickoff return.
:bag: Yep

Users who are viewing this thread