Dentist

***Official FBG Dentist***

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18,897 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03
  • Interests:stox, teeth, money, tennis

Posted 07 January 2013 - 01:34 PM

anyone know of a left side of road or British driving simulator? I'm headed to a British island and would like to rent a car but have never driven on that side of the road and it looks a little intimidating... i figure a few digital reps wouldn't hurt

Wait, you're genuninely a dentist?

#2 ntz08

ntz08

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 607 posts
  • Joined 30-July 04

Posted 07 January 2013 - 01:39 PM

driving really isn't a huge deal. turning into the proper lane every time will be. then again, it's an island. you should be fine.

#3 The Z Machine

The Z Machine

Freak-A-Zoid

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28,859 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03
  • Interests:????

Posted 07 January 2013 - 01:44 PM

Get some balls and just do it.
BOYCOTT WORLD CUP 2022

#4 jamny

jamny

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26,836 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 07 January 2013 - 01:51 PM

Not that big of a deal. You just have to think a little more in the beginning but you get used to it pretty quickly.

#5 wikkidpissah

wikkidpissah

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10,000 posts
  • Joined 30-October 07

Posted 07 January 2013 - 01:52 PM

It's not as hard as you think, unless you have to use a stick (not uncommon with rentals over there - check to be sure. The problem is when there's no one on the road and one's attention lapses. One can quickly find themselves back at their default position just in time for a British motorist to be heading str8 into you.

#6 otb_lifer

otb_lifer

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2,105 posts
  • Joined 19-August 07

Posted 07 January 2013 - 01:53 PM

Steer clear of the Matthew Broderick version. HTH.

Edited by otb_lifer, 07 January 2013 - 01:59 PM.

#7 spreagle

spreagle

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 355 posts
  • Joined 17-June 12

Posted 07 January 2013 - 01:53 PM

Just buy an small american flag with a suction cup and attach it to your roof. Keep the hazards on until you get the hang of it. The locals will understand.

#8 Mr Capicollo

Mr Capicollo

Footballguy

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 4,265 posts
  • Joined 09-July 06
  • Interests:salted cured meats

Posted 07 January 2013 - 01:55 PM

Just buy an small american flag with a suction cup and attach it to your roof. Keep the hazards on until you get the hang of it. The locals will understand.

And routinely yell, "If not for us you'd be speaking German now!"

Finest of the salted cured meats™

12 . 9 . 08 NEVER FORGET
10. 14. 09 NEVER FORGET

Tell me about it. Frankly, I'm not very good at it (I actually bled one time). She usually helps.

2 on 1 break, and the defender faked towards the guy on the left, trying to anticipate a pass. I took off from the top of the key and threw down a pretty sick windmill dunk. People were losing their minds. One of the guys who was on the other team ran off crying, and everyone was so crunk that the game didn\'t even continue. A couple chickenheads in the stands gave me their math.

5 team Dynasty league rooster QB-V Young/Cousins RB: R Bush/M Bush/GW Bush WR: Honkeyerson/Henry/Boldin TE: Finley K: Benershka Long Snapper: Binn

#9 randall146

randall146

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7,637 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 07 January 2013 - 02:11 PM

It's not a big deal but a good trick to prepare your mind is to start looking right instead of left first when you come to an intersection driving or even just crossing a street when walking.

#10 Flying V

Flying V

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10,057 posts
  • Joined 20-June 05

Posted 07 January 2013 - 02:13 PM

Maybe your mailman could give you some tips.

#11 Dentist

Dentist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18,897 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 07 January 2013 - 02:40 PM

well, i'm going to, but logging in an hour on Grand Theft Auto the Euro Edition would've been fun if it existed

#12 Dentist

Dentist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18,897 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 07 January 2013 - 02:41 PM

sounds like a way to get robbed though as well

#13 Bucky86

Bucky86

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7,076 posts
  • Joined 31-October 11

Posted 07 January 2013 - 02:44 PM

anyone know of a left side of road or British driving simulator? I'm headed to a British island and would like to rent a car but have never driven on that side of the road and it looks a little intimidating... i figure a few digital reps wouldn't hurt

Which island? I lived on an island that drove on the left hand side for 3 months. It's super easy.

XBOX Gamertag: IamTickleNinja

PSN:   BeanDawgSmack

#14 Dentist

Dentist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18,897 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 07 January 2013 - 02:45 PM

It's not as hard as you think, unless you have to use a stick (not uncommon with rentals over there - check to be sure. The problem is when there's no one on the road and one's attention lapses. One can quickly find themselves back at their default position just in time for a British motorist to be heading str8 into you.

great question - i'm definitely renting from an agency with automatic transmission. I love rocking manual... but not when i'm adding some "opposite driving" in addition to that. I am used to driving on the right side of the vehicle because i'm a boat owner

#15 Dentist

Dentist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18,897 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 07 January 2013 - 02:45 PM

Which island? I lived on an island that drove on the left hand side for 3 months. It's super easy.

Barbados

#16 Ursa M

Ursa M

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1,729 posts
  • Joined 16-March 12

Posted 07 January 2013 - 02:49 PM

great question - i'm definitely renting from an agency with automatic transmission. I love rocking manual... but not when i'm adding some "opposite driving" in addition to that. I am used to driving on the right side of the vehicle because i'm a boat owner

Specify an auto when you book the car. I do this routinely when I visit the UK. It will cost a little more but it will save messing around with a stick and clutch. Much more important are the local traffic laws. For instance, turning against a red light isn't allowed anywhere I've ever been except here.
Remember when teachers, public employees, Planned Parenthood, NPR, and PBS crashed the stock market, wiped out half of our 401Ks, took trillions in taxpayer funded bailouts, spilled oil in the Gulf of Mexico, gave themselves billions in bonuses and paid no taxes? Yeah, me neither.....

#17 Bucky86

Bucky86

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7,076 posts
  • Joined 31-October 11

Posted 07 January 2013 - 02:49 PM

Barbados

Cool. Never been there. I go to Cayman quite often. I think it might be quite a bit smaller than Barbados.

XBOX Gamertag: IamTickleNinja

PSN:   BeanDawgSmack

#18 Short Corner

Short Corner

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5,910 posts
  • Joined 03-January 08

Posted 07 January 2013 - 02:53 PM

Manual is a piece of cake. My biggest problem was turning on the wipers every time I wanted to signal. If the pedals were reversed I would have been ####ed.

Spoiler

#19 DiStefano

DiStefano

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5,711 posts
  • Joined 12-August 10

Posted 07 January 2013 - 02:59 PM

Bin there, dun that. Here is the mantra: Drive left, look right. Keep repeating that as you drive, until you get the hang of it. Do not inch out of driveways or intersections until you have looked right.

#20 bagger

bagger

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1,984 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 07 January 2013 - 03:32 PM

driving really isn't a huge deal. turning into the proper lane every time will be. then again, it's an island. you should be fine.

this is exactly right. especially if you rent an automatic, all you need to pay attentiion to is right turns our like our left and vice versa...really easy if youre not paying attention to do a right turn into oncoming traffic. i actually learned to drive (stick no less) on the left side of the road. but that was in thailand so me driving down the wrong side of the road was pretty much par for the course with all drivers there. honestly, just stay really focused.

#21 Mr. Pickles

Mr. Pickles

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37,546 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 07 January 2013 - 03:32 PM

Oh stop it.

#22 mcintyre1

mcintyre1

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3,605 posts
  • Joined 18-January 06

Posted 07 January 2013 - 04:17 PM

well, i'm going to, but logging in an hour on Grand Theft Auto the Euro Edition would've been fun if it existed

Sleeping Dogs. Not England, but in terms of driving, Hong Kong should suffice.

#23 belljr

belljr

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29,081 posts
  • Joined 15-June 05

Posted 07 January 2013 - 05:33 PM

I cant get left
I bow to the awesomeness of :homer:  

#24 El Floppo

El Floppo

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26,137 posts
  • Joined 13-April 06
  • Interests:[s]karate[/s] karazee

Posted 07 January 2013 - 08:05 PM

:goodposting: Caribbean island will be cake. Just keep telling yourself at every turn/intersection to look right and stay left. And don't drink and think this will work out well. :bag:
I'm ok. You're ok. That there is what it is.

#25 El Floppo

El Floppo

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26,137 posts
  • Joined 13-April 06
  • Interests:[s]karate[/s] karazee

Posted 07 January 2013 - 08:07 PM

Barbados

Oh... I take it back. You're ####ed.
I'm ok. You're ok. That there is what it is.

#26 Dentist

Dentist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18,897 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 29 March 2013 - 02:38 PM

I did pretty well with the driving. It was very challenging mentally for the first twenty minutes, not necessarily following the rules, but keeping the car in the lane without doing a curb check because it felt weird. wouldn't want to do this in a very populated area, but it was a cool drive. Oh.. and barbados has a ton of "roundabouts" and those blow

#27 Mr. Pickles

Mr. Pickles

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37,546 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 29 March 2013 - 02:40 PM

Why would it be difficult to stay in your lane?

#28 Dentist

Dentist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18,897 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 29 March 2013 - 03:02 PM

Why would it be difficult to stay in your lane?

i had trouble at the very first part of the drive with the feel relative to where i was in the lane since i was driving from the right seat. i curb checked us twice.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users