#1 Christo

Christo

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 53,342 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 27 January 2013 - 05:48 PM

An Israeli official acknowledged the practice of injecting women of Ethiopian descent with long-acting contraceptive Depo-Provera, Haaretz reported Sunday. The birth-rate of the Israeli Ethiopian community had declined by over 50 percent in the past 10 years. Sharona Eliahu of the Israeli Association of Civil Rights in January wrote a letter saying an investigation into the practice should be launched and that the injections should cease. In response, Health Ministry Director General Prof. Ron Gamzu asked translators to volunteer their time so that doctors might communicate with their patients. He also told four health maintenance organizations to stop the injections if the women do not fully understand the consequences of the drug, according to the Israeli daily. State agencies and ministries had previously denied knowing of the practice which had been reported for the first time five years ago. Depo-Provera is administered every three months and clinical trials show a near-zero percent failure rate in preventing pregnancies. Many of the women experienced abnormal uterine bleeding however, which interferes with sexual intimacy. It has also been said to decrease women's sex-drive. Fifty percent of women on hormonal birth-control are said to stop having their period after a year. Even after discontinuing the medication, it can take a year for a woman’s period to regulate. Beyond making the woman sterile for as long as they are on the drug, a common side-effect of the contraceptive is significantly decreased bone density. Depo-Provera has also been used with male sex-offenders as a form of chemical castration, as it greatly reduces the male sex-drive.

http://english.al-ak...ethiopian-women It's getting harder and harder to like Israel.
Thanks,

Christo

#2 PlasmaDogPlasma

PlasmaDogPlasma

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15,519 posts
  • Joined 07-December 07

Posted 27 January 2013 - 06:27 PM

http://english.al-ak...ethiopian-women It's getting harder and harder to like Israel.

Anti-Semite

#3 proninja

proninja

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26,639 posts
  • Joined 03-January 04

Posted 27 January 2013 - 06:30 PM

This was in the best interest of the Ethiopian people. Israel should be commended. /republican

#4 Dr. Awesome

Dr. Awesome

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13,865 posts
  • Joined 18-March 10

Posted 27 January 2013 - 06:31 PM

It's getting harder and harder to like Israel.

You've just lost tim's vote.

If you're ever in the mood to watch a scummy Chef Boyardee nail a woman while she tries to hold back vomiting, Bing's got you covered.

#5 The Z Machine

The Z Machine

Freak-A-Zoid

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28,873 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03
  • Interests:????

Posted 27 January 2013 - 07:13 PM

Disgusting.
BOYCOTT WORLD CUP 2022

#6 cstu

cstu

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 50,077 posts
  • Joined 20-August 04

Posted 27 January 2013 - 07:22 PM

Sounds like something the Germans would have done to the Jews.
“He who climbs upon the highest mountains laughs at all tragedies, real or imaginary.”

#7 SofaKings

SofaKings

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16,583 posts
  • Joined 11-April 03

Posted 27 January 2013 - 07:31 PM

ah the faux outrage.

Please support Parkinson's research
College of Disney Knowledge Ph.D

#8 Christo

Christo

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 53,342 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 27 January 2013 - 07:44 PM

Or we would have done to blacks.No one's hands are clean. But I'd like to think most of us are beyond that sort of thing at this point. The Israelis are scared. And they have every right to be. While they are fighting to preserve their borders they are slowly being bred out of their country. How do you fight that? One way is just change their laws. But then their democracy high ground pretty much falls apart. So they did it secretively.
Thanks,

Christo

#9 PlasmaDogPlasma

PlasmaDogPlasma

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15,519 posts
  • Joined 07-December 07

Posted 27 January 2013 - 07:46 PM

Or we would have done to blacks.No one's hands are clean. But I'd like to think most of us are beyond that sort of thing at this point. The Israelis are scared. And they have every right to be. While they are fighting to preserve their borders they are slowly being bred out of their country. How do you fight that? One way is just change their laws. But then their democracy high ground pretty much falls apart. So they did it secretively.

The thing is these Ethiopians are Jews. They immigrated under The Law of Return. They're just black Jews and thus undesirable to the European Jews.

Edited by PlasmaDogPlasma, 27 January 2013 - 07:49 PM.

#10 bigbottom

bigbottom

I put on my robe and wizard hat

• Members.
  • Pip
  • 34,056 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 27 January 2013 - 07:54 PM

Here's another article:http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/middle-east/israel-gave-birth-control-to-ethiopian-jews-without-their-consent-8468800.html

Israel has admitted for the first time that it has been giving Ethiopian Jewish immigrants birth-control injections, often without their knowledge or consent.The government had previously denied the practice but the Israeli Health Ministry’s director-general has now ordered gynaecologists to stop administering the drugs. According a report in Haaretz, suspicions were first raised by an investigative journalist, Gal Gabbay, who interviewed more than 30 women from Ethiopia in an attempt to discover why birth rates in the community had fallen dramatically.One of the Ethiopian women who was interviewed is quoted as saying: “They [medical staff] told us they are inoculations. We took it every three months. We said we didn’t want to.” It is alleged that some of the women were forced or coerced to take the drug while in transit camps in Ethiopia.The drug in question is thought to be Depo-Provera, which is injected every three months and is considered to be a highly effective, long-lasting contraceptive.Nearly 100,000 Ethiopian Jews have moved to Israel under the Law of Return since the 1980s, but their Jewishness has been questioned by some rabbis. Last year, the Prime Minister, Benjamin Netanyahu, who also holds the health portfolio, warned that illegal immigrants from Africa “threaten our existence as a Jewish and democratic state”.Haaretz published an extract from a letter sent by the Ministry of Health to units administering the drug. Doctors were told “not to renew prescriptions for Depo Provera for women of Ethiopian origin if for any reason there is concern that they might not understand the ramifications of the treatment”.Sharona Eliahu Chai, a lawyer for the Association of Civil Rights in Israel (ACRI), said: “Findings from investigations into the use of Depo Provera are extremely worrisome, raising concerns of harmful health policies with racist implications in violation of medical ethics. The Ministry of Health’s director-general was right to act quickly and put forth new guidelines.”

Link to all bigbottom, BF83 and Popagandist mp3s and videos.

#11 mr roboto

mr roboto

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15,544 posts
  • Joined 23-August 10
  • Interests:Dots (especially Blue and Orange) and Swedish Fish

Posted 27 January 2013 - 08:36 PM

Wat?

Come on guys. He threw eight innings of one hit ball and needed someone to close it out for him. So what if the closer could have been a fifth grader?

#12 Mister CIA

Mister CIA

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8,217 posts
  • Joined 26-June 05

Posted 27 January 2013 - 09:39 PM

God was on his 'A+' game the day he created Ethiopian women. Only those not right in God's eye (the Unchosen) would hamper with the creation of such un-abject beauty.

Edited by Mister CIA, 27 January 2013 - 10:05 PM.

#13 badmojo1006

badmojo1006

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10,654 posts
  • Joined 19-November 04
  • Interests:Breathing

Posted 27 January 2013 - 09:44 PM

ah the faux outrage.

:confused:
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means. - Inigo Montoya

#14 Jewell

Jewell

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8,938 posts
  • Joined 14-August 09
  • Interests:Life, Liberty, The Pursuit of Happiness

Posted 27 January 2013 - 11:58 PM

The Israelis are scared. And they have every right to be. While they are fighting to preserve their borders they are slowly being bred out of their country. How do you fight that?

:jawdrop:

What do you mean "their country"? Everyone has the right to immigrate anyywhere, and any objection to that is clearly xenophobia.

And what difference does it make if Ethiopians outbreed Israelis in Israel when all people are the same?

Shame on you, Christo. Shame on you.

#15 BigSteelThrill

BigSteelThrill

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15,881 posts
  • Joined 29-June 06

Posted 28 January 2013 - 12:52 AM

"Democratic State."

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Israel? Nobody believes that, right?

:pertaining to or characterized by the principle of political or social equality for all

The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness.

~John Galbraith~

#16 Josie Maran

Josie Maran

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5,618 posts
  • Joined 24-March 05

Posted 28 January 2013 - 02:30 AM

What's the Jewish Lobby have to say about this? Oh right, they don't exist.

#17 FootballDummy

FootballDummy

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 958 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 28 January 2013 - 02:34 AM

I'm going to wait for Tim to tell us this is Obama's fault, but he's confused about it.

#18 Short Corner

Short Corner

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5,910 posts
  • Joined 03-January 08

Posted 28 January 2013 - 02:35 AM

It's getting harder and harder to like Israel.

You've just lost tim's vote.

Don't be silly. He just secured a full endorsement from Uncle Tim ®

Spoiler

#19 otello

otello

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5,363 posts
  • Joined 16-November 03

Posted 28 January 2013 - 03:56 AM

Is their Jewishness debated? As if that mattered.
Congratulations to otello he is the first player to 1000 points

otello - 1000
videoguy505 - 400
Leroy Hoard - 300
Kendall - 200
northern exposure - 200
zamboni - 200
Tufnel - 100

#20 roadkill1292

roadkill1292

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14,576 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 28 January 2013 - 04:53 AM

So who ordered it to begin with?

#21 matuski

matuski

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11,230 posts
  • Joined 16-October 05
  • Interests:killing threads

Posted 28 January 2013 - 04:59 AM

Is their Jewishness debated? As if that mattered.

Nearly 100,000 Ethiopian Jews have moved to Israel under the Law of Return since the 1980s, but their Jewishness has been questioned by some rabbis.

No True Jew.

#22 HellToupee

HellToupee

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25,160 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 28 January 2013 - 05:03 AM

1st thing that came to my mind

#23 HellToupee

HellToupee

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25,160 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 28 January 2013 - 05:08 AM

What's the Jewish Lobby have to say about this?

I wonder what @the_ironsheik has to say about this bubba

#24 NCCommish

NCCommish

Footballguy

• Members.
  • Pip
  • 75,669 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 28 January 2013 - 05:10 AM

Seems like a pertinent question. And who knew? Did we know? So many questions.
I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies. If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around [the banks] will deprive the people of all property until their children wake-up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered. The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs.

Thomas Jefferson

To you I'm an atheist; to God, I'm the Loyal Opposition.

Woody Allen

#25 SHIZNITTTT

SHIZNITTTT

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12,109 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 28 January 2013 - 05:26 AM

Man that is a lot of people to keep quiet to pull this off. Doctors, nurses, office workers, drug supply companies, the people or person who actually ordered the program. WoW

http://www0.xup.in/e...hp?fid=12914630

Keepin' it grown and sexy.

#26 johnnycakes

johnnycakes

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11,742 posts
  • Joined 22-May 06
  • Interests:Chinese women

Posted 28 January 2013 - 05:29 AM

So Ethiopian joos aren't considered real joos in Israel. And I have heard that, at least among Israeli Orthodox joos, that American joos aren't considered real joos either. This begs a couple of questions:- Do all pseudo-joos get depo provera or is it just Ethiopians? - Do joos agree on whether being a joo is a question of race or religion? Depo provera is a legally prescribed contraceptive here in the US. Were the Ethiopians going to the doctor looking for contraceptives and being prescribed a disproportionately high incidence of this drug? Or were they going for something else and being injected with the contraceptive and being told it was an immunization, or something like that?

Don't take this the wrong way, but your life is a trainwreck of epic proportions.

He still holds the :tfp: title but I may be in the top 5.

#27 pittstownkiller

pittstownkiller

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8,741 posts
  • Joined 30-August 10

Posted 28 January 2013 - 05:44 AM

I'm going to wait for Tim to tell us this is Obama's fault, but he's confused about it.

Nuanced view. It will not be Obama's fault though, it will clearly be Israel's (since they have no historical connection to Palestine)...and Truman's.

Edited by pittstownkiller, 28 January 2013 - 05:45 AM.

[/quote]

#28 NCCommish

NCCommish

Footballguy

• Members.
  • Pip
  • 75,669 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 28 January 2013 - 05:48 AM

So Ethiopian joos aren't considered real joos in Israel. And I have heard that, at least among Israeli Orthodox joos, that American joos aren't considered real joos either. This begs a couple of questions:

- Do all pseudo-joos get depo provera or is it just Ethiopians?

- Do joos agree on whether being a joo is a question of race or religion?

Depo provera is a legally prescribed contraceptive here in the US. Were the Ethiopians going to the doctor looking for contraceptives and being prescribed a disproportionately high incidence of this drug? Or were they going for something else and being injected with the contraceptive and being told it was an immunization, or something like that?

According to the posted article exactly like that.
I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies. If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around [the banks] will deprive the people of all property until their children wake-up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered. The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs.

Thomas Jefferson

Woody Allen

#29 johnnycakes

johnnycakes

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11,742 posts
  • Joined 22-May 06

Posted 28 January 2013 - 05:54 AM

So Ethiopian joos aren't considered real joos in Israel. And I have heard that, at least among Israeli Orthodox joos, that American joos aren't considered real joos either. This begs a couple of questions:

Depo provera is a legally prescribed contraceptive here in the US. Were the Ethiopians going to the doctor looking for contraceptives and being prescribed a disproportionately high incidence of this drug? Or were they going for something else and being injected with the contraceptive and being told it was an immunization, or something like that?

I read the article 3 times and still haven't been able to cypher that. Maybe if I were smart enough to get into a T14 law school it might be more clear to me.

Don't take this the wrong way, but your life is a trainwreck of epic proportions.

#30 NCCommish

NCCommish

Footballguy

• Members.
  • Pip
  • 75,669 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 28 January 2013 - 05:56 AM

I read the article 3 times and still haven't been able to cypher that. Maybe if I were smart enough to get into a T14 law school it might be more clear to me.

Yeah I skipped law school but I did get all the way through the RIF program:

One of the Ethiopian women who was interviewed is quoted as saying: “They [medical staff] told us they are inoculations. We took it every three months. We said we didn’t want to.”

Thomas Jefferson

Woody Allen

#31 Kal El

Kal El

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6,715 posts
  • Joined 03-November 06

Posted 28 January 2013 - 05:58 AM

The Israelis are scared. And they have every right to be. While they are fighting to preserve their borders they are slowly being bred out of their country. How do you fight that?

:jawdrop:

What do you mean "their country"? Everyone has the right to immigrate anyywhere, and any objection to that is clearly xenophobia.

And what difference does it make if Ethiopians outbreed Israelis in Israel when all people are the same?

Shame on you, Christo. Shame on you.

Since Israel has enemies on every side of its nation not bordered by the Mediterranean, all more or less dedicated to wiping it off the map, I'm pretty sure they should take steps to ensure their survival. Still, this isn't a good way to go about it.

Detroit Tigers- 3-time defending AL Central Champs

It's a great day for Tigers baseball/ Lions football/ Michigan football

#32 otello

otello

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5,363 posts
  • Joined 16-November 03

Posted 28 January 2013 - 05:59 AM

Where is msm on this? Google news search draws blanks.

otello - 1000
videoguy505 - 400
Leroy Hoard - 300
Kendall - 200
northern exposure - 200
zamboni - 200
Tufnel - 100

#33 bigbottom

bigbottom

• Members.
  • Pip
  • 34,056 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 28 January 2013 - 06:18 AM

The Independent is pretty mainstream, isn't it?That said, I really do hope this is all a hoax.

Edited by bigbottom, 28 January 2013 - 06:19 AM.

#34 otello

otello

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5,363 posts
  • Joined 16-November 03

Posted 28 January 2013 - 06:21 AM

The Independent is pretty mainstream, isn't it?That said, I really do hope this is all a hoax.

I was thinking more USA msm, but I hear you.

otello - 1000
videoguy505 - 400
Leroy Hoard - 300
Kendall - 200
northern exposure - 200
zamboni - 200
Tufnel - 100

#35 bigbottom

bigbottom

• Members.
  • Pip
  • 34,056 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 28 January 2013 - 06:21 AM

Forbes article from an hour ago. http://www.forbes.co...-birth-control/

#36 pantagrapher

pantagrapher

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21,526 posts
  • Joined 27-May 03
  • Interests:All of the above.

Posted 28 January 2013 - 06:24 AM

Seems like a pertinent question. And who knew? Did we know? So many questions.

I swear I didn't know.

#37 timschochet

timschochet

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 78,109 posts
  • Joined 17-September 07

Posted 28 January 2013 - 06:38 AM

I' must have done something really wrong around here if some of you actually think I would spend any time defending this. What a terrible terrible story. Whoever was behind this needs to resign immediately and face charges. And if it turns out that the entire government is behind it, then #### them.
Unless otherwise stated, any comment or statement I make is strictly MY OPINION, and should not be taken as an implication of fact, no matter how definitive it sounds. I speak for no one but myself.

#38 otello

otello

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5,363 posts
  • Joined 16-November 03

Posted 28 January 2013 - 06:44 AM

I' must have done something really wrong around here if some of you actually think I would spend any time defending this. What a terrible terrible story. Whoever was behind this needs to resign immediately and face charges. And if it turns out that the entire government is behind it, then #### them.

I knew you would respond appropriately.

otello - 1000
videoguy505 - 400
Leroy Hoard - 300
Kendall - 200
northern exposure - 200
zamboni - 200
Tufnel - 100

#39 Todd Andrews

Todd Andrews

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4,976 posts
  • Joined 16-November 06

Posted 28 January 2013 - 06:46 AM

vile

Loosen up Sandy baby - John Riggins

I tasted a beer and tried a cigarette once, as a wayward teenager, and never did it again - Mitt Romney

Frankly, one of our political parties is insane, and we all know which one it is. They have descended from the realm of reasonableness that was the mark of conservatism. They dream of anarchy, of ending government. - Bruce Bartlett (Reagan Economic Policy Advisor)

Wisdom here.

#40 otello

otello

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5,363 posts
  • Joined 16-November 03

Posted 28 January 2013 - 06:46 AM

Forbes article from an hour ago. http://www.forbes.co...-birth-control/

Got it. Thanks.

otello - 1000
videoguy505 - 400
Leroy Hoard - 300
Kendall - 200
northern exposure - 200
zamboni - 200
Tufnel - 100

#41 johnnycakes

johnnycakes

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11,742 posts
  • Joined 22-May 06

Posted 28 January 2013 - 06:47 AM

Yeah I skipped law school but I did get all the way through the RIF program:

One of the Ethiopian women who was interviewed is quoted as saying: “They [medical staff] told us they are inoculations. We took it every three months. We said we didn’t want to.”

Ok, that's from bigbottom's article. I had only read Christo's. thanks for picking up on that point. It would seem to be a big deal if these women weren't looking for contraceptives when they sought medical help for something else.

#42 Ilov80s

Ilov80s

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15,414 posts
  • Joined 17-September 06

Posted 28 January 2013 - 06:47 AM

How things have changed in 75 years for the Jews. If Hitler had the science to make the German Jews infertile with a secret pill, I have to imagine he would have made this a sweeping national policy.

“I never approve, or disapprove, of anything now. It is an absurd attitude to take towards life.” 

- Oscar Wilde 

#43 timschochet

timschochet

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 78,109 posts
  • Joined 17-September 07

Posted 28 January 2013 - 06:55 AM

How things have changed in 75 years for the Jews. If Hitler had the science to make the German Jews infertile with a secret pill, I have to imagine he would have made this a sweeping national policy.

OK this statement is one I have a problem with. It's not "the Jews" it's ( hopefully) a few Israeli govt. officials. I dont believe the Israeli public would be anything but horrified by this, and this fact is backed up by the apparent fact that this was stopped once the story was reported.
Unless otherwise stated, any comment or statement I make is strictly MY OPINION, and should not be taken as an implication of fact, no matter how definitive it sounds. I speak for no one but myself.

#44 comfortably numb

comfortably numb

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13,289 posts
  • Joined 30-July 03

Posted 28 January 2013 - 07:22 AM

[crosseyed] Anyone check snopes yet? [/croseyed]

#45 Matthias

Matthias

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13,230 posts
  • Joined 21-September 09

Posted 28 January 2013 - 07:24 AM

ah the faux outrage.

:rolleyes:
I thought this thread would be bad when I read the topic, but it is actually much worse after reading some of the responses in here. -JoeT

#46 Matthias

Matthias

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13,230 posts
  • Joined 21-September 09

Posted 28 January 2013 - 07:30 AM

[crosseyed] Anyone check snopes yet? [/croseyed]

[Rayderr] Eugenics: both sides do it [/Rayderr]
I thought this thread would be bad when I read the topic, but it is actually much worse after reading some of the responses in here. -JoeT

#47 Ilov80s

Ilov80s

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15,414 posts
  • Joined 17-September 06

Posted 28 January 2013 - 07:32 AM

How things have changed in 75 years for Jewish people. If Hitler had the science to make the German Jews infertile with a secret pill, I have to imagine he would have made this a sweeping national policy. Now, there own nation is engaging in this racist behavior.

OK this statement is one I have a problem with. It's not "the Jews" it's ( hopefully) a few Israeli govt. officials. I dont believe the Israeli public would be anything but horrified by this, and this fact is backed up by the apparent fact that this was stopped once the story was reported.

Do I think the average German in 1935In July 1933 when the Germans passed the sterilization act, I am sure most Americans would have felt the same way about the average German. Perhaps theaverage German, if honest, would not have necessarily endorsed it either. However, they went along with it no matter how they felt. I did edit to my statement because I did not even intend to represent Jewish individuals, but Jew as in their position politically in the world and how it has they have gone from being the victim to the bully: not as individuals, but as a political entity in the world.

“I never approve, or disapprove, of anything now. It is an absurd attitude to take towards life.” 

- Oscar Wilde 

#48 Koya

Koya

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41,225 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 28 January 2013 - 07:37 AM

I wish I were surprised, but gov'ts do some awful things. The test of a people is to see how they react when the decisions of a few (even when those decisions are made to "protect" the nation's well being) do irreparable harm.Thankfully, and well above the myopic viewpoints of some on this board and many world wide, Israeli culture is quite open and I can not see how this won't become a huge issue. I, at least, hope it does. This disgusts me.To treat anyone like this is terrible. To do it to "your own people" is somehow even worse, not that it should matter.Regardless, what this demonstrates is Israel's struggle with racism. It's strong and always has been, but in the past racism was either directed outward toward Arabs etc and within the Jewish spectrum at sephardic Jews (those of Middle Eastern decent as opposed to the "hierarchy" of the early Israeli state comprised mostly of European descendants). With the influx of Russians new tensions arose, but the country never experienced racism in the sense we understand it until the immigration of Ethiopian Jews. It's been a struggle and one that I am not particularly proud of.Which in NO way excuses this, but there is some backdrop. And before people go wailing on the evil nation of Israel, a couple thoughts:1. This has NO place in a civilized society and that can't be overlooked2. Almost (every?) gov't does awful things. We had internment camps of our own residents. Various tales of testing, a bitter past regarding similar efforts here and african american women. While this does not excuse Israel in ANY way, it's important context.3. Let's not also lose the context not of why Israel did this (because even her own security is NO excuse), but the context that, all in all, Israel's actions are far less reaching than many/most/all of the nations that she is surrounded by and fighting. So yes, Israel is so, so wrong here. But can the outrage at least be measured appropriately (and it should be huge, even so).I hope those who were involved in this monstrous act, if indeed it's as bad as it seems, are held to the utmost responsibility. It's vile.

Years of inconsistencies and moderating atrocities

Every moment is a coincidence - Douglas Coupland

#49 timschochet

timschochet

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 78,109 posts
  • Joined 17-September 07

Posted 28 January 2013 - 07:39 AM

How things have changed in 75 years for Jewish people. If Hitler had the science to make the German Jews infertile with a secret pill, I have to imagine he would have made this a sweeping national policy. Now, there own nation is engaging in this racist behavior.

Do I think the average German in 1935In July 1933 when the Germans passed the sterilization act, I am sure most Americans would have felt the same way about the average German. Perhaps theaverage German, if honest, would not have necessarily endorsed it either. However, they went along with it no matter how they felt. I did edit to my statement because I did not even intend to represent Jewish individuals, but Jew as in their position politically in the world and how it has they have gone from being the victim to the bully: not as individuals, but as a political entity in the world.

The Nazis were elected and many of their initial acts against the Jews were exactly what they had campaigned on. This current story was apparently secret. I don't see how you can equate the two. This is more analogous to the Tuskagee experiments.

#50 Koya

Koya

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41,225 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 28 January 2013 - 07:40 AM

Im not about to go down this rabbit hole, but let's again MEASURE the response appropriately.While attaching Israel's actions here is fully appropriate, it does not serve as an excuse to lose all context and just get a free card to bash Israel and the Jews as if they now measure up to Hitler's Germany. If anyone goes that route, they are either seriously misinformed about the overall context or antisemitic. And I won't be parsing which is which.That said, this is a horrible act and must be rectified as best as can be considering this shameful effort. And to your point, Hitler didnt need a secret pill. He was trying to kill us all, and by and large succeeded in many communities.

Years of inconsistencies and moderating atrocities

Every moment is a coincidence - Douglas Coupland

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users