#1 Apple Jack

Apple Jack

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13,343 posts
  • Joined 03-September 11

Posted 30 January 2013 - 10:15 PM

Why is the greatest spot in the country in terms of weather and beaches such a colossal dud?

#2 17seconds

17seconds

root of all aliai

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24,075 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 30 January 2013 - 10:16 PM

The fishing is much better here

#3 Amburger

Amburger

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 353 posts
  • Joined 14-December 12

Posted 30 January 2013 - 10:19 PM

Because Philip Rivers is a #####

#4 Thorn

Thorn

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11,377 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03
  • Interests:Peanut butter, chocolate.

Posted 30 January 2013 - 10:21 PM

Same reason bacon, bjs, and money suck I guess.
Thinking of you

--Thorn

#5 Apple Jack

Apple Jack

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13,343 posts
  • Joined 03-September 11

Posted 30 January 2013 - 10:24 PM

It doesn't compute. I'm not asking for New Orleans, because that's a random perfect storm (forgive the pun), but on paper it should be a jumping ####### hotspot city. That's our greatest spot and instead of being that, it's like Orange County meets Norfolk on Zoloft.

#6 Mr. Pickles

Mr. Pickles

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37,543 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 30 January 2013 - 10:25 PM

I kind of have the same impression. :shrug:

#7 General Malaise

General Malaise

Poop Lord

• Members
  • Pip
  • 58,765 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 30 January 2013 - 10:31 PM

I love San Diego for short visits, but I could never live there. There's no....personality. And maybe that comes with perfect weather every day or beach living where people can spread out and not have to talk to others. Seasons harden people up, make us stay inside and seek entertainment. We can't just run out on the sand and fly a kite every day. We have to effort for it some fun. Cold weather makes us pack into tiny bars, huddle around TVs, root on sports, talk to one another. Not so, San Diego...And think about other CA cities. LA is full of people with GIANT personality trying to make it big. San Francisco is the west coast version of NYC. It's brimming with synergy and smarts. San Diego is where postal workers go to retire.
"You see, I am uninvolved, and my posture in life is one of detachment, irony, and amusement, which may not be a particularly lofty posture but which nevertheless has the redeeming merit of having not the slightest notion of what is good for you." - Frederick Exley

#8 tommyGunZ

tommyGunZ

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39,580 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 30 January 2013 - 10:36 PM

:fishing:

#9 cosjobs

cosjobs

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24,368 posts
  • Joined 08-September 03

Posted 30 January 2013 - 10:37 PM

the military presence and the meth head population drag it all down a few clicks

#10 tommyGunZ

tommyGunZ

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39,580 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 30 January 2013 - 10:41 PM

I love San Diego for short visits, but I could never live there. There's no....personality. And maybe that comes with perfect weather every day or beach living where people can spread out and not have to talk to others. Seasons harden people up, make us stay inside and seek entertainment. We can't just run out on the sand and fly a kite every day. We have to effort for it some fun. Cold weather makes us pack into tiny bars, huddle around TVs, root on sports, talk to one another. Not so, San Diego...

And think about other CA cities. LA is full of people with GIANT personality trying to make it big. San Francisco is the west coast version of NYC. It's brimming with synergy and smarts. San Diego is where postal workers go to retire.

This is exactly what San Diego is. It's everything every other city is, w/o the effort.

#11 Apple Jack

Apple Jack

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13,343 posts
  • Joined 03-September 11

Posted 30 January 2013 - 10:42 PM

the military presence and the meth head population drag it all down a few clicks

I don't know the extent of the meth thing, but meth heads are very easily driven out. That's nothing. The military is a different story. Can't we move them up a few miles?

#12 Patrick Bateman

Patrick Bateman

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3,243 posts
  • Joined 18-July 07

Posted 30 January 2013 - 10:42 PM

Get focused. You don't know your way around.
Too Bold

#13 tommyGunZ

tommyGunZ

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39,580 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 30 January 2013 - 10:44 PM

It doesn't compute. I'm not asking for New Orleans, because that's a random perfect storm (forgive the pun), but on paper it should be a jumping ####### hotspot city. That's our greatest spot and instead of being that, it's like Orange County meets Norfolk on Zoloft.

I'm guessing you haven't spent any time on 4th and 5th south of Broadway eh?

#14 boots11234

boots11234

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1,550 posts
  • Joined 01-October 03

Posted 30 January 2013 - 10:46 PM

I don't know the extent of the meth thing, but meth heads are very easily driven out. That's nothing. The military is a different story. Can't we move them up a few miles?

Ha, doesn't surprise me the gun grabber doesn't like the military. For the record I love San Diego.

#15 Apple Jack

Apple Jack

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13,343 posts
  • Joined 03-September 11

Posted 30 January 2013 - 10:55 PM

Ha, doesn't surprise me the gun grabber doesn't like the military. For the record I love San Diego.

I spent yesterday running through Arlington visiting the graves of my father, uncle, three grandparents, and my best friends parents. In conclusion, shut the #### up.

#16 -fish-

-fish-

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8,344 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03
  • Interests:dangerously crazy chicks

Posted 30 January 2013 - 10:57 PM

If your real life personality is anything like your online persona, I'm guessing it's because you're a horse's ###.

You need to update your signature

#17 Apple Jack

Apple Jack

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13,343 posts
  • Joined 03-September 11

Posted 30 January 2013 - 11:05 PM

If your real life personality is anything like your online persona, I'm guessing it's because you're a horse's ###.

It's not, but I get your comment. But it's irrelevant. Who hasn't been disappointed by a trip to San Diego?

#18 Raider Nation

Raider Nation

Devil's Advocate

• Members
  • Pip
  • 76,472 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 30 January 2013 - 11:10 PM

It's not, but I get your comment. But it's irrelevant. Who hasn't been disappointed by a trip to San Diego?

If you are desperate, go to Hooters. My research indicates that San Diego has the best looking Hooters girls in the country.

By a mile.

They are always the girls who end up in the Top-10 in the annual International Hooters pageant.

In the poker game of life, women are the rake.

Mike knows him as "Alberto Jose Alburquerque"

#19 bierfiend

bierfiend

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 459 posts
  • Joined 03-July 12
  • Interests:family, food, sports, booze

Posted 30 January 2013 - 11:15 PM

Home is San Francisco. I love the beach and went to college in sd. Was fine, but i couldn't wait to get back north. San Diego was becoming an extension of orange county . Very little culture and soul. Fun for a vacation but sparse on substance. It's another chicken/egg.... not sure that that niche is sustainable down there.

#20 jon_mx

jon_mx

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31,644 posts
  • Joined 25-August 03

Posted 31 January 2013 - 03:27 AM

If you can't enjoy San Diego, you are doing it wrong. It may not have the character if a New York, Chicago or San Fran, but there is still plenty there to enjoy.

#21 Mentos

Mentos

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1,403 posts
  • Joined 02-January 10

Posted 31 January 2013 - 03:43 AM

I was not disappointed.

#22 3C's

3C's

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27,256 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 31 January 2013 - 03:46 AM

Poor Norfolk.

#23 Guster

Guster

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8,886 posts
  • Joined 04-November 04

Posted 31 January 2013 - 04:11 AM

Disclaimer: I've never been to San Diego

but if you're having to give me a couple block area where the fun is in a city like San Diego, that pretty much proves Apple Jack's point.
Everything I've ever heard about SD is "it's so great, the weather..."
It's never "we went to San Diego and had such a great time, we did x and y and z"
In a city like San Diego, you shouldn't be telling me about a couple block area, you should be calling out different districts/areas.
San Diego makes Cincinnati seem interesting. If only the weather...

Abe naming a child Cash is like me naming a child Pigment.

I would happily eat her afterbirth.

I never knew the kids live with mom n dad basically their whole life.

#24 johnnycakes

johnnycakes

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11,672 posts
  • Joined 22-May 06
  • Interests:Chinese women

Posted 31 January 2013 - 04:17 AM

Isn't it too close to Mexico, whose greatest contribution to society is women with moustaches, to be any good?

Don't take this the wrong way, but your life is a trainwreck of epic proportions.

He still holds the :tfp: title but I may be in the top 5.

#25 dgreen

dgreen

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22,252 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 31 January 2013 - 04:34 AM

but if you're having to give me a couple block area where the fun is in a city like San Diego, that pretty much proves Apple Jack's point.
It's never "we went to San Diego and had such a great time, we did x and y and z"
In a city like San Diego, you shouldn't be telling me about a couple block area, you should be calling out different districts/areas.

I've never been there either, but I definitely agree with this.

A city of SD's size and natural advantages should have many more hot spots. And, there should be hot spots of varying types for those with different interests.

When I think of SD, I think of weather, beaches, and a zoo. I guess I can now add 4th and 5th south of Broadway, whatever that is. Anything else?

#26 dgreen

dgreen

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22,252 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 31 January 2013 - 04:36 AM

Isn't it too close to Mexico, whose greatest contribution to society is women with moustaches, to be any good?

Isn't Tijuana considered a better hot spot than anything in SD?

#27 DiStefano

DiStefano

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5,711 posts
  • Joined 12-August 10

Posted 31 January 2013 - 05:03 AM

Have you ever been in any great border town?I didn't think so.

#28 Otis

Otis

Footballguy

• Members.
  • Pip
  • 51,147 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 31 January 2013 - 05:06 AM

I kind of have the same impression. :shrug:

Thirded.

shuke loves werewolf but hates irony

BOOM

I AM the Internet

#29 CGRdrJoe

CGRdrJoe

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10,838 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 31 January 2013 - 05:11 AM

San Diego is terrible, stay away...
2 time Cake League champ

This was another great idea that Guy came up with and then copied by someone from the boards. Good thing Guy is collecting royalties on these ideas.

btw - Mex was the overall winner of this "idea" in its original format.... although Jeep won all the drinking contests by a large margin.

#30 jon_mx

jon_mx

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31,644 posts
  • Joined 25-August 03

Posted 31 January 2013 - 05:19 AM

Let's not forget tequila, salsa, and yard care.

#31 bushdocda

bushdocda

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2,239 posts
  • Joined 28-July 09

Posted 31 January 2013 - 05:23 AM

FFA can hate on San Diego and Kate Upton. It's a special place.

#32 Jayrok

Jayrok

So much for the monastery

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14,294 posts
  • Joined 14-July 03

Posted 31 January 2013 - 05:29 AM

And maybe that comes with perfect weather every day or beach living where people can spread out and not have to talk to others.

That sounds great to me. :shrug:

#33 Jewell

Jewell

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8,938 posts
  • Joined 14-August 09
  • Interests:Life, Liberty, The Pursuit of Happiness

Posted 31 January 2013 - 05:39 AM

Have you ever been in any great border town?

I didn't think so.

Looks nice to me. :shrug:

That would be Salma Hayek's breasts.

#34 thecatch

thecatch

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7,284 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 31 January 2013 - 05:45 AM

A city of SD's size and natural advantages should have many more hot spots. And, there should be hot spots of varying types for those with different interests.

When I think of SD, I think of weather, beaches, and a zoo. I guess I can now add 4th and 5th south of Broadway, whatever that is. Anything else?

Any review of SD that includes the phrase "yeah, but other than the weather ..." (or its functional equivalent) completely misses the point. If you don't place much importance on the climate SD is not going to rank highly for you.

#35 Otis

Otis

Footballguy

• Members.
  • Pip
  • 51,147 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 31 January 2013 - 05:49 AM

I've spent a lot of time there, and I get what the OP is saying.It's sort of a lifeless, spiritless city. Maybe it's because it's composed of so many transplants from all over the country and so nobody really cares that much (then again, you could say the same about NYC, and it's clearly not the case there)? Maybe it's because people there are lazy? It's a city without a sense of purpose. Without any real identity other than "weather is usually nice." Maybe that's just what happens in a town that doesn't have much adversity, where things are easy, breezy, and warm all the time. Hard to say.It probably peaked during the Three's Company era. Today it just feels like Detroit with nice beaches.

shuke loves werewolf but hates irony

BOOM

I AM the Internet

#36 dgreen

dgreen

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22,252 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 31 January 2013 - 05:55 AM

Any review of SD that includes the phrase "yeah, but other than the weather ..." (or its functional equivalent) completely misses the point. If you don't place much importance on the climate SD is not going to rank highly for you.

Everyone likes great weather. Everyone realizes San Diego has great weather. But, that, on its own, can't make it a great city.

So, you have this great weather. Now what? Other than the beach, what do you do in this great weather? Where do you go? Or, do you just sit on your front porch all day and say, "This is such a blast sitting here on my porch in this weather"?

Where are the great hangouts? Are there a couple great retail strips with shops, restaurants, and bars? Are there really good clubs and small concert establishments? Are there fun markets to buy produce, meat, and seafood? Is there a cool historic district? Are there a couple great urban outdoor parks with open space, fountains, and statues where people like to hang and picnic? Are there huge national parks with cool mountains or caves or deserts to explore within easy driving distance? Are there museums? Operas? Other cultural centers?

This is what people want to know, but all we ever hear is: weather, beach, weather, beach, weather, beach. Those things are absolutely great, but a lot of people want more.

#37 Leroy Hoard

Leroy Hoard

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 60,365 posts
  • Joined 12-August 03

Posted 31 January 2013 - 05:55 AM

I love San Diego for short visits, but I could never live there. There's no....personality. And maybe that comes with perfect weather every day or beach living where people can spread out and not have to talk to others. Seasons harden people up, make us stay inside and seek entertainment. We can't just run out on the sand and fly a kite every day. We have to effort for it some fun. Cold weather makes us pack into tiny bars, huddle around TVs, root on sports, talk to one another. Not so, San Diego...And think about other CA cities. LA is full of people with GIANT personality trying to make it big. San Francisco is the west coast version of NYC. It's brimming with synergy and smarts. San Diego is where postal workers go to retire.

:goodposting:
If you need a yard, I'll get you three. If you need five yards, I'll get you three.

#38 Guster

Guster

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8,886 posts
  • Joined 04-November 04

Posted 31 January 2013 - 05:57 AM

I've spent a lot of time there, and I get what the OP is saying.

It's sort of a lifeless, spiritless city. Maybe it's because it's composed of so many transplants from all over the country and so nobody really cares that much (then again, you could say the same about NYC, and it's clearly not the case there)? Maybe it's because people there are lazy?

It's a city without a sense of purpose. Without any real identity other than "weather is usually nice." Maybe that's just what happens in a town that doesn't have much adversity, where things are easy, breezy, and warm all the time. Hard to say.

It probably peaked during the Three's Company era. Today it just feels like Detroit with nice beaches.

:lmao:

Abe naming a child Cash is like me naming a child Pigment.

I would happily eat her afterbirth.

I never knew the kids live with mom n dad basically their whole life.

#39 thecatch

thecatch

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7,284 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 31 January 2013 - 06:08 AM

Everyone likes great weather. Everyone realizes San Diego has great weather. But, that, on its own, can't make it a great city.

So, you have this great weather. Now what? Other than the beach, what do you do in this great weather? Where do you go? Or, do you just sit on your front porch all day and say, "This is such a blast sitting here on my porch in this weather"?

Where are the great hangouts? Are there a couple great retail strips with shops, restaurants, and bars? Are there really good clubs and small concert establishments? Are there fun markets to buy produce, meat, and seafood? Is there a cool historic district? Are there a couple great urban outdoor parks with open space, fountains, and statues where people like to hang and picnic? Are there huge national parks with cool mountains or caves or deserts to explore within easy driving distance? Are there museums? Operas? Other cultural centers?

This is what people want to know, but all we ever hear is: weather, beach, weather, beach, weather, beach. Those things are absolutely great, but a lot of people want more.

There are plenty of things to so in SD. It lacks the culture of an NY or DC, but I'd trade that in a heartbeat to be able to comfortably go outside every day of the year. The lack of "adversity" also means your average person is about 300% more friendly than in the northeast because they arent miserable about the weather. Everyone has their own individual preferences so I'm not saying it has to be everyone's favorite, but downplaying the weather as a general attraction is silly. No one says "yeah, Hawaii has great weather, but its really missing outdoor urban parks."

#40 DocHolliday

DocHolliday

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2,203 posts
  • Joined 03-September 10

Posted 31 January 2013 - 06:22 AM

I visited SD a few years back. I get what the OP is saying but he is being a little harsh.There was a cool restaurant/bar/shopping district that was enjoyable. There is definitely a ton of beautiful women in the area. There is a great zoo to visit. SD is what it is. Not sure why it has to be something more. At least it is not awful like some crumbling cities in the US. SD is a laid-back, small city without much of a personality that has fantastic weather. I am sure some folks love it. Seems like a better place to live than to visit as a vacation destination.

HEMP is back up to $0.08 per share! Glad I bought back in for $0.0714 per share. It's almost time for Emmy to wet his beak. :)

#41 dgreen

dgreen

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22,252 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 31 January 2013 - 06:24 AM

There are plenty of things to so in SD.

For example?

No one says "yeah, Hawaii has great weather, but its really missing outdoor urban parks."

I agree. They list all the great things there are to do in Hawaii. They talk about hiking, volcanoes, water falls, beaches, Pearl Harbor, whale watching, catching a sunrise or sunset, road-side smoothie stands, helicopter tours, attending a traditional luau and participating in some of Hawaii's unique culture, and many other things.The point is, when people talk about Hawaii, they talk about more than just the weather. I'm sure there are tons of things to do in San Diego. I just have no idea what those things are because nobody talks about them.

#42 boots11234

boots11234

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1,550 posts
  • Joined 01-October 03

Posted 31 January 2013 - 06:25 AM

Even if its not, I still bet you're a horse's ###.

#43 Limp Ditka

Limp Ditka

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28,563 posts
  • Joined 06-September 05

Posted 31 January 2013 - 06:29 AM

One of the few places in the country I visited and left thinking that I could live there.
I find your belief system.........fascinating.

but there are people in life, people you know in your own personal life Joe that just always seem to have a cloud over them. I try to distance myself form those folks as much as possible and I bet you do to.

Clearly, I am the not-bright one.

#44 Limp Ditka

Limp Ditka

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28,563 posts
  • Joined 06-September 05

Posted 31 January 2013 - 06:30 AM

One of the few places in the country I visited and left thinking that I could live there.

Almost forgot...... and what fish said.
I find your belief system.........fascinating.

but there are people in life, people you know in your own personal life Joe that just always seem to have a cloud over them. I try to distance myself form those folks as much as possible and I bet you do to.

Clearly, I am the not-bright one.

#45 McGarnicle

McGarnicle

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8,744 posts
  • Joined 15-September 06

Posted 31 January 2013 - 06:36 AM

Visited Whale's ###### about 8 or 9 years ago around New Year's. Went to a Chargers game, walked around La Jolla, enjoyed some of the night life and good restaurants. I enjoyed the trip but yeah, come to think of it, nothing about the place really grabbed me other than the incredible scenery which most of coastal CA has anyway. Then a year or two later we checked out San Francisco, much better experience overall.

I feel like I just insulted a bunch of homosexuals.

#46 Rick James

Rick James

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3,064 posts
  • Joined 22-June 04

Posted 31 January 2013 - 06:36 AM

I got that impression from visiting Seattle in the summer. Absolutely loved it. I've never been there when it's raining, but summer up there is gorgeous.

#47 fightingillini

fightingillini

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2,534 posts
  • Joined 15-April 03

Posted 31 January 2013 - 06:42 AM

Most people think SD has the best weather in the country. And it does......when you're near the beach. And to live near the beach, you need some serious cash. You go inland....it gets hot in the summer. One year I was at a conference at Hotel Del Coronado....what a great place. It was in June, and it was 75-80 degrees right on the beach. Unbelievable. Then I went to play golf at Steele Canyon which I think is about 45 minutes east of Coronado.....and the temperature was about 100. I was like, I didn't know that Phoenix was only 45 minutes away? That said, I have always loved visiting SD.

#48 timschochet

timschochet

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 77,478 posts
  • Joined 17-September 07

Posted 31 January 2013 - 06:42 AM

I don't get this.Old Town- best tortillas in the United States. Gas LampSan Diego ZooMuseumsSea WorldCoronadoWhat's not to love?
Unless otherwise stated, any comment or statement I make is strictly MY OPINION, and should not be taken as an implication of fact, no matter how definitive it sounds. I speak for no one but myself.

#49 TobiasFunke

TobiasFunke

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19,506 posts
  • Joined 17-August 06

Posted 31 January 2013 - 06:44 AM

There are plenty of things to so in SD.

For example?

No one says "yeah, Hawaii has great weather, but its really missing outdoor urban parks."

I agree. They list all the great things there are to do in Hawaii. They talk about hiking, volcanoes, water falls, beaches, Pearl Harbor, whale watching, catching a sunrise or sunset, road-side smoothie stands, helicopter tours, attending a traditional luau and participating in some of Hawaii's unique culture, and many other things.

The point is, when people talk about Hawaii, they talk about more than just the weather. I'm sure there are tons of things to do in San Diego. I just have no idea what those things are because nobody talks about them.

Ocean Beach
Mexican Food
Seafood
Surfing/water sports
Pseudo-legal weed
Year-round golf (freaking Torrey Pines is public and super-cheap for locals)
Baseball stadium in downtown location

Not my kind of town because it fails my #1 criteria (can you live there comfortably without having a car). But that's just my own thing- it's got a lot going for it. It's not Chicago or NY or SF, but only three cities are.

#50 dgreen

dgreen

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22,252 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 31 January 2013 - 06:46 AM

SD is what it is. Not sure why it has to be something more.

The OP thinks it should be something more based on it's size and awesome location, I assume.I think we have to determine what San Diego's comps are before determining if it should be more. It's a large coastal metro area, so we could compare it to places like LA, Miami, Tampa, Norfolk-Virginia Beach. Orlando, maybe? Houston? San Francisco and Boston?Size-wise, it's the 17th largest metro area in the US, just behind Seattle and Minneapolis and ahead of Tampa, St. Louis, and Baltimore.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users