Photo

Biggest jerk in this scenario?

• Please log in to reply
261 replies to this topic

Poll: Poll

Who is the biggest jerk in this story?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Officer Pete Malloy

Officer Pete Malloy

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24,761 posts
  • Joined 02-January 08

Posted 31 January 2013 - 11:13 AM

http://www.rawstory....no-tip-receipt/ Applebee’s fires waitress for exposing pastor’s ‘give God 10%’ no-tip receipt

A waitress says she was fired from her job at Applebee’s after posting a note from a pastor who refused to tip, writing that “I give God 10% Why do you get 18.” The waitress, who identified herself only as Chelsea, told The Consumerist that she originally posted the photo on the atheist section of social media website Reddit as a “lighthearted joke.” “I thought the note was insulting, but it was also comical,” she explained. “I posted it to Reddit because I thought other users would find it entertaining.” On the receipt she posted, Applebee’s computer system had added an automatic 18 percent gratuity because the dinner party had eight or more people. But the customer scratched out the $6.29 tip and wrote “0.” The receipt included a note about giving God 10 percent and a signature which indicated that the diner was a “pastor.” “My mistake sir, I’m sure Jesus will pay for my rent and groceries,” Chelsea wrote on Reddit on Wednesday along with a photo of the receipt. The waitress said that the she failed to redact the signature because she thought it was illegible, but Internet sleuths began using it to obtain the pastor’s identity. “I had already started receiving messages containing Facebook profile links and blogs and websites, asking me to confirm the identity of the customer,” she recalled. “I refused to confirm any of them, and all of them were incorrect. I worked with the website moderators to remove any personal information. I wanted to protect the identity of both my fellow server and the customer. I had no intention of starting a witch hunt or hurting anyone — I just wanted to share a picture I found interesting.” On Wednesday, the pastor reportedly contacted the Applebee’s location where she worked and demanded that everyone involved — including the managers — be fired. “When I posted this, I didn’t represent Applebee’s in a bad light,” Chelsea explained. “In fact, I didn’t represent them at all. I did my best to protect the identity of all parties involved. I didn’t break any specific guidelines in the company handbook — I checked.” “But because this person got embarrassed that their selfishness was made public, Applebee’s has made it clear that they would rather lose a dedicated employee than lose an angry customer. That’s a policy I can’t understand.” She added that she was “utterly baffled” about why someone would connect Christian tithing to tips that wait staff rely on tips to pay their bills. “I’ve been stiffed on tips before, but this is the first time I’ve seen the Big Man has been used as reasoning,” she said. “If this person wrote the note, obviously they wanted it seen by someone… It’s strange to me that now that the audience is wider than just the server, the person is now ashamed.”

Edited by Officer Pete Malloy, 31 January 2013 - 11:14 AM.

I'm pretty horny most of the time

Middle School kids are the WORST.

#2 Parrothead

Parrothead

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13,856 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 31 January 2013 - 11:20 AM

that pastor is a #### head.. she should have made a fool of him on the spot in front of everyone.. what an ### :thumbdown:
In memory of Shining Path.. RIP...

#3 JoeSteeler

JoeSteeler

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5,183 posts
  • Joined 08-February 07

that pastor is a #### head.. she should have made a fool of him on the spot in front of everyone.. what an ### :thumbdown:

:goodposting:

#4 Evilgrin 72

Evilgrin 72

Distributor of Pain

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35,283 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03
  • Interests:Beer.

LHUCKS

As a Browns fan, I love Bill Cowher.  I hope he coaches the Steelers for another 20 years.  They'll never win anything.

Do not #### with Evilgrin. It's like taunting the Happy Fun Ball and does not end well.

EG, you remind me of my favorite comedian, Sam Kinison. God bless you, dude.

"Watching the Baltimore Ravens play football is like watching scum freeze on the eyeballs of a jackass." - Hunter S. Thompson

#5 Koya

Koya

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41,676 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 31 January 2013 - 11:22 AM

Biggest Jerk? Pastor, easily. To use God as a reason to stiff someone who works off tips for a living is hardly worthy of someone who should represent that God and be someone who leads a community and serves as a role model. Second... not sure there is a second. The woman did something which could cause a national brand uncomfortable press, and she has to deal with those repercussions. Don't see any harm in what she did really, but she needs to accept responsibility as a representative (well, former) of that brand.Pastor's a total jerk though.

Years of inconsistencies and moderating atrocities

Every moment is a coincidence - Douglas Coupland

#6 Deranged Hermit

Deranged Hermit

Not cool & Pissed

• Street Team
  • Pip
  • 4,660 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

I've been keeping up with this story and I knew that the waitress would inevitably get fired. I voted the pastor though, because she:A. Wrote the insulting noteB. Called demanding the whole waitstaff be fired.
Cartman: Before the last Super Bowl, Bill Belichick told his team, "Let's win this one for real, let's not cheat!".
Student: What happened?
Cartman: They lost........

#7 FlapJacks

FlapJacks

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4,252 posts
  • Joined 01-November 06

d. The "sleuths"

I don't care much for the Nation of Islam (understatement.)

#8 Statcruncher

Statcruncher

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4,891 posts
  • Joined 04-September 07

Posted 31 January 2013 - 11:23 AM

I need to be able to vote for the pastor and Applebee's.

#9 Don Quixote

Don Quixote

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6,149 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 31 January 2013 - 11:23 AM

Pastor was a woman: http://www.thesmokin...ologizes-687234

#10 johnnycakes

johnnycakes

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12,156 posts
  • Joined 22-May 06
  • Interests:Chinese women

Posted 31 January 2013 - 11:25 AM

Mr. Pink is now a pastor?

Don't take this the wrong way, but your life is a trainwreck of epic proportions.

He still holds the :tfp: title but I may be in the top 5.

#11 shadyridr

shadyridr

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 42,060 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 31 January 2013 - 11:26 AM

didnt he still technically pay the tip?
Only morons read signatures

#12 Leroy Hoard

Leroy Hoard

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 61,277 posts
  • Joined 12-August 03

Posted 31 January 2013 - 11:27 AM

She should have gone to Hooters instead.
If you need a yard, I'll get you three. If you need five yards, I'll get you three.

#13 NCCommish

NCCommish

Footballguy

• Members.
  • Pip
  • 76,395 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Don't want people to read what you write? Don't ####### write it. I vote pastor and Applebees.
I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies. If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around [the banks] will deprive the people of all property until their children wake-up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered. The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs.

Thomas Jefferson

To you I'm an atheist; to God, I'm the Loyal Opposition.

Woody Allen

#14 Parrothead

Parrothead

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13,856 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

ok, then she is also a #### head and ###

#15 Ghost Rider

Ghost Rider

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24,597 posts
  • Joined 26-April 03

Posted 31 January 2013 - 11:30 AM

The pastor, obviously. What a jerk. She is now complaining that she was shamed. Good. She deserved to be. The server, however, was not smart to post it online anywhere. Applebee's firing her was not surprising since most corporate places like that will fire anyone for anything, if they think it will cost them a customer, since they think they are all worth saving. They'd rather save a bad customer than lose one great employee.

Edited by Ghost Rider, 31 January 2013 - 11:31 AM.

#16 Brony

Brony

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3,191 posts
  • Joined 24-July 12

Posted 31 January 2013 - 11:30 AM

Lou Ferrigno is the jerk.

#17 Leroy Hoard

Leroy Hoard

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 61,277 posts
  • Joined 12-August 03

Posted 31 January 2013 - 11:32 AM

Lou Ferrigno is the jerk.

That kind of jerk never gets any press.
If you need a yard, I'll get you three. If you need five yards, I'll get you three.

#18 Officer Pete Malloy

Officer Pete Malloy

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24,761 posts
  • Joined 02-January 08

Posted 31 January 2013 - 11:33 AM

She's also...um...going to be lumped in with a certain group of people that have a reputation (at least that how some people feel) for not tipping.

#19 NCCommish

NCCommish

Footballguy

• Members.
  • Pip
  • 76,395 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 31 January 2013 - 11:33 AM

She's also...um...going to be lumped in with a certain group of people that have a reputation (at least that how some people feel) for not tipping.

There's a reason stereotypes exist.
I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies. If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around [the banks] will deprive the people of all property until their children wake-up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered. The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs.

Thomas Jefferson

To you I'm an atheist; to God, I'm the Loyal Opposition.

Woody Allen

#20 Officer Pete Malloy

Officer Pete Malloy

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24,761 posts
  • Joined 02-January 08

Posted 31 January 2013 - 11:35 AM

On the receipt she posted, Applebee’s computer system had added an automatic 18 percent gratuity because the dinner party had eight or more people.

Not sure what Missurah laws are but here in California there is no such thing as an "automatic" gratuity. The restaurant and say "we add an 18% gratuity to parties over..." but the customer has every right to decline it.

#21 Ramsay Hunt Experience

Ramsay Hunt Experience

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7,893 posts
  • Joined 28-August 12

Posted 31 January 2013 - 11:36 AM

I think I'm most offended by the silliness of the argument in the first place. OK, I'm a commie atheist, but putting all that aside, you tithe 10% of your income, which strikes me as somewhat more than 18% of your crappy lunch at Applebees. And what type of large party only runs up a bill of 34 bucks?

#22 Parrothead

Parrothead

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13,856 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 31 January 2013 - 11:36 AM

I wonder if she drives a VW

#23 IvanKaramazov

IvanKaramazov

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46,808 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 31 January 2013 - 11:37 AM

Obviously the pastor is the biggest jerk here.That said, posting the bill on Reddit with the signature intact was ill-advised to say the least, and I can't blame Applebees for firing the waitress.

#24 FlapJacks

FlapJacks

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4,252 posts
  • Joined 01-November 06

Posted 31 January 2013 - 11:38 AM

care to list some?

I don't care much for the Nation of Islam (understatement.)

#25 BigJohn

BigJohn

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11,148 posts
  • Joined 17-April 03

Posted 31 January 2013 - 11:40 AM

18 percent gratuity because the dinner party had eight or more people

How in the #### do you feed at least 8 people for $35? :confused:

#26 Greg Russell

Greg Russell

Footballguy

• Staff
  • Pip
  • 8,311 posts
  • Joined 11-April 03

Pastor was undoubtedly a jerk.Server was unwise to post it with enough particulars it could be traced back to the individual. Mentioning it was from an Applebee's was a similarly unwise move since she is employed by them.I imagine the server's actions could open Applebee's up to a possible lawsuit from the pastor once her identity got out, which probably drove the firing. Which, again, is the server's own fault. I don't see a lot of room for blaming Applebee's. (Other than for the quality of their food, anyway. Though I'd have cheered them still if they'd kept the waitress on.

"When I was young I thought that money was the most important thing in life; now that I am old I know that it is." - Oscar Wilde

Click to follow me on Twitter.

#27 Grahamburn

Grahamburn

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4,468 posts
  • Joined 15-August 07

The server sounds pretty well spoken to be working at Applebee's.
Never. Ever. Bench Calvin Johnson. Ever.

#28 Waylon Jennings

Waylon Jennings

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 257 posts
  • Joined 26-October 06

Posted 31 January 2013 - 11:41 AM

care to list some?

Jewish chicks / hummers
I’ve always been crazy but it’s kept me from going insane

#29 Spin

Spin

Footballguy

• FBG Apps Beta Tester
  • Pip
  • 1,725 posts
  • Joined 29-August 08

Posted 31 January 2013 - 11:41 AM

I served for a little over 7 years while in college (I changed majors a lot and did a year of co op). And I absolutely hated when other servers would get mad and complain about getting less than 15% tip. And I can not stand the "I rely on tips to pay the bills, therefor you should tip me" or even worse "I only make 2.13 an hour, I need your tips to pay the bills". I took the job knowing that I would only make 2.13 an hour and would then have to rely on my ability as a server to make up the rest. I generally made the most money on any given shift, because I embraced this, and realized that tips are not mandatory, so I actually worked to increase my tips. Most of the serving staff just walk around, refill a couple of drinks, mess up an order and wonder why they're making 10%. And I never "auto grat'd" a table, regardless of the party size. You make more if you don't, if you don't suck anyway. People get offended when they see 18% added onto their tab. Servers know the nature of the business, and it's a gamble that you'll make more than any other job you can have while in school or with little/no education. But they accept this willingly because more often then not, you make much more then the alternatives. But you still need to earn that tip. And if someone stiffs you, then in their mind you didn't earn it. And you absolutely can not complain about that. There were notorious "stiffers" at the Chili's I worked at. And everyone complained about them. I embraced them and did my best to make them feel like their 3-4 dollars given to me was money well spent. And for every time someone "stiffs" you, you make way more off your regulars that it completely offsets it and some. Unless you suck, then you spend all your time complaining about being stiffed rather then trying to figure out what you did wrong.That being said, the Pastor is the vote here. Not for stiffing her, but for trying to use God to justify it.

#30 Parrothead

Parrothead

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13,856 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 31 January 2013 - 11:42 AM

care to list some?

that would make a great thread - stereotypes by nationality, religion, and/or race..

#31 Ghost Rider

Ghost Rider

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24,597 posts
  • Joined 26-April 03

Posted 31 January 2013 - 11:43 AM

On the receipt she posted, Applebee’s computer system had added an automatic 18 percent gratuity because the dinner party had eight or more people.

That's not how I read it. I read it like the 18% tip thing is just a reminder to customers what 18% of the bill is (since 18% is the new 15%). In other words, it helps customers from having to figure it out on their own. It's like a suggested tip. I think if the 18% had already been applied, the total below would have reflected that already and read $41.22.

Edited by Ghost Rider, 31 January 2013 - 11:43 AM.

#32 VA703

VA703

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4,535 posts
  • Joined 28-March 12

Posted 31 January 2013 - 11:43 AM

:thumbup:

#33 VA703

VA703

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4,535 posts
  • Joined 28-March 12

Posted 31 January 2013 - 11:44 AM

care to list some?

Admiral Ackbar: "It's a trap!"

#34 Spin

Spin

Footballguy

• FBG Apps Beta Tester
  • Pip
  • 1,725 posts
  • Joined 29-August 08

Posted 31 January 2013 - 11:45 AM

That's not how I read it. I read it like the 18% tip thing is just a reminder to customers what 18% of the bill is (since 18% is the new 15%). In other words, it helps customers from having to figure it out on their own. It's like a suggested tip. I think if the 18% had already been applied, the total below would have reflected that already and read $41.22.

At Chilis, it has "Suggested Tip" and then figures it in for you when you run your card. Then below that is "Tip Adjustment (+/-)" So if you don't want to pay the 18%, you have to add -$1, or whatever to bring it down to whatever you want to tip. If you leave that line blank, you will absolutely pay the 18%.

#35 joffer

joffer

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25,785 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03
  • Interests:i collect spores, molds, and fungus

Posted 31 January 2013 - 11:45 AM

Obviously the pastor is the biggest jerk here.That said, posting the bill on Reddit with the signature intact was ill-advised to say the least, and I can't blame Applebees for firing the waitress.

:goodposting:
Education on the value of free speech and the other freedoms reserved by the Bill of Rights, about what happens when you dont have them, and about how to exercise and protect them, should be an essential prerequisite for being an American citizenor indeed a citizen of any nation, the more so to the degree that such rights remain unprotected. If we cant think for ourselves, if were unwilling to question authority, then were just putty in the hands of those in power. But if the citizens are educated and form their own opinions, then those in power work for us. In every country, we should be teaching our children the scientific method and the reasons for a Bill of Rights. With it comes a certain decency, humility and community spirit. In the demon-haunted world that we inhabit by virtue of being human, this may be all that stands between us and the enveloping darkness.

- Carl Sagan

#36 bostonfred

bostonfred

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39,975 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 31 January 2013 - 11:46 AM

I voted applebees without reading the article.
R.I.P. shiny 5/25/09

#37 Kool-Aid Larry

Kool-Aid Larry

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10,545 posts
  • Joined 19-May 09

Posted 31 January 2013 - 11:47 AM

A waitress says she was fired from her job at Applebee’s after posting a note from a pastor who refused to tip, writing that “I give God 10% Why do you get 18.”

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:
OH YEAH!

#38 17seconds

17seconds

root of all aliai

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24,496 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 31 January 2013 - 11:53 AM

Levels of jerkiness:pastor...waitress...........Applebee'sThe waitress wasn't posting it on reddit as a "lighthearted joke". She posted it because she was incredibly pissed off and wanted to get a bunch of like-minded people to prop up her ego.Applebee's should fire her for her stunt.

#39 Kool-Aid Larry

Kool-Aid Larry

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10,545 posts
  • Joined 19-May 09

I think I'm most offended by the silliness of the argument in the first place. OK, I'm a commie atheist, but putting all that aside, you tithe 10% of your income, which strikes me as somewhat more than 18% of your crappy lunch at Applebees. And what type of large party only runs up a bill of 34 bucks?

6 baskets of free bread?
OH YEAH!

#40 Politician Spock

Politician Spock

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18,250 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

The pastor is not only a jerk, he is without a doubt sinning!"Now to the one who works, his wages are not counted as a gift but as his due." - Romans 4:4“Woe to him who builds his house by unrighteousness, and his upper rooms by injustice, who makes his neighbor serve him for nothing and does not give him his wages," - Jeremiah 22:13... "Behold, the wages of the laborers who mowed your fields, which you kept back by fraud, are crying out against you, and the cries of the harvesters have reached the ears of the Lord of hosts." - James 5:4"Remember this: Whoever sows sparingly will also reap sparingly, and whoever sows generously will also reap generously." - 2nd Corinthians 9:6"Do not be deceived: God cannot be mocked. A man reaps what he sows." - Galations 6:7

Yeah, I am an attention whore and I have turned this thread into ####. Of course.

i was VERY wrong about several assumptions I made about the NSA.

#41 Spin

Spin

Footballguy

• FBG Apps Beta Tester
  • Pip
  • 1,725 posts
  • Joined 29-August 08

Posted 31 January 2013 - 11:55 AM

6 baskets of free bread?

Maybe 34 was only his portion of the party's bill.

#42 Mr.Pack

Mr.Pack

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11,005 posts
  • Joined 14-August 07

Posted 31 January 2013 - 11:57 AM

Agreed.Applebees should not be adding on a 18% tip.

There is nothing worse than not enjoying life.--prefontaine

The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will. - Vince Lombardi

#43 Hang 10

Hang 10

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4,790 posts
  • Joined 28-September 07

Posted 31 January 2013 - 11:58 AM

Canadians. :thumbdown:

#44 Leroy Hoard

Leroy Hoard

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 61,277 posts
  • Joined 12-August 03

Posted 31 January 2013 - 11:58 AM

I wonder if the bill for the last supper automaticly included the tip.

#45 Kool-Aid Larry

Kool-Aid Larry

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10,545 posts
  • Joined 19-May 09

Posted 31 January 2013 - 11:59 AM

dude, everybody does that #### with larger parties of x or more.which is what I'm assuming the case is here, since somebody asked about feeding 8 people.
OH YEAH!

#46 Nipsey

Nipsey

Footballguy

• Members.
  • Pip
  • 29,333 posts
  • Joined 15-April 03

Posted 31 January 2013 - 11:59 AM

They didn't.

#47 Officer Pete Malloy

Officer Pete Malloy

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24,761 posts
  • Joined 02-January 08

Posted 31 January 2013 - 12:01 PM

6 baskets of free bread?

Water with lemon and then adding sugar packets?

#48 lod01

lod01

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7,017 posts
  • Joined 09-May 03

Posted 31 January 2013 - 12:02 PM

And what type of large party only runs up a bill of 34 bucks.

the kind with a cheapazz pastor who pockets the flock's $ for herself, crosses out the gratuity and puts a zero, while using her god as the reason to do so. This woman is one huge POS.

#49 Mr. Know-It-All

Mr. Know-It-All

Booger Eatin' Moron

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14,202 posts
  • Joined 15-January 04
  • Interests:Knowing Stuff

Posted 31 January 2013 - 12:03 PM

In the realm of jerkiness I find Applebees to be slightly more jerky than the pastor because while the pastor was jerky for wanting anyone fired - Applebees had the ability to employ reason and not make a rash decision...but chose not to do so. No way does the employee even register on the jerkiness scale.
A woman is the most fiendish instrument of torture ever devised to bedevil the days of man. - Ulysses Everett MacGill

Ultimately man does not deny the existence of God for lack of evidence, but because man does not want to be accountable to his creator.

#50 Parrothead

Parrothead

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13,856 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 31 January 2013 - 12:03 PM

I wonder if the bill for the last supper automaticly included the tip.

yeah, and Jesus made Judas pay.. well, the rest is history..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users