What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Steven Jackson to ATL (1 Viewer)

Nucker101

Footballguy
Great signing for the Falcons. Where does this push SJax in redraft and dynasty drafts?

Just for some sort of a baseline, here's Michael Turner's recent finishes in standard scoring(PPR in brackets):

2010: 9th(21st in PPR)

2011: 6th(8th in PPR)

2012: 18th(21st in PPR)

Matt Ryan, Steven Jackson, Roddy White, Julio Jones and Tony Gonzalez is going to be hard to stop.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likely more hype than substance. The Falcons have Roddy, Gonzo, and Julio. The league is a passing league. I don't think the Falcons think they will be a better team running SJAX 20-30 times a game. They had a great record last year doing what they do and they were on the record saying they wanted to save the RB's legs for when it mattered. He will be better than Turner but he's not going to be through the roof in real value.

Personally, I think if SJAX wanted a ring, he should have maybe signed with Green Bay or Pitt. I just don't think the Falcons have what it takes.

Just came over to see if this was posted yet. What an offense!
They say Tony Gonzalez is still pondering whether to return for one more season. If I'm him and I see this signing, I'd lace them up for one more season because Jackson will make that offense ridiculuous.EDIT: Forget that. I now see he said he's returning. Great offense.

Likely more hype than substance. The Falcons have Roddy, Gonzo, and Julio. The league is a passing league. I don't think the Falcons think they will be a better team running SJAX 20-30 times a game. They had a great record last year doing what they do and they were on the record saying they wanted to save the RB's legs for when it mattered. He will be better than Turner but he's not going to be through the roof in real value.Personally, I think if SJAX wanted a ring, he should have maybe signed with Green Bay or Pitt. I just don't think the Falcons have what it takes.
They run enough. And no way they expect 20-30 carries a game. He should get around 250 and a LOT more catches than Turner. I don't think 16-17 carries a game is unrealistic at all. It's probably the best place he could have landed. Maybe not the most touches of anywhere he coulda gone, but more quality touches and easily more TDs. If anything I might call it an ever so slight hit to Ryan's numbers

I'd easily take him in the second of a redraft league, somewhere around RB 8-10 (Foster/ADP/Charles/Spiller/McCoy/Richardson/Rice/Jackson/Lynch/Martin my top 10 in no particular order)

Dynasty, he's worth a lot more to a team that needs a RB to get over the hump.

Not much difference in stats for Jackson. Slight bump for the rest of Atlanta's offense.

Real life NFL - Offense wasn't Atlanta's reason for losing in the playoffs.

Very good signing for team and player. He's a big upgrade from Turner at this point.

And glad he didn't go to GB

Likely more hype than substance. The Falcons have Roddy, Gonzo, and Julio. The league is a passing league. I don't think the Falcons think they will be a better team running SJAX 20-30 times a game. They had a great record last year doing what they do and they were on the record saying they wanted to save the RB's legs for when it mattered. He will be better than Turner but he's not going to be through the roof in real value.Personally, I think if SJAX wanted a ring, he should have maybe signed with Green Bay or Pitt. I just don't think the Falcons have what it takes.
They run enough. And no way they expect 20-30 carries a game. He should get around 250 and a LOT more catches than Turner. I don't think 16-17 carries a game is unrealistic at all. It's probably the best place he could have landed. Maybe not the most touches of anywhere he coulda gone, but more quality touches and easily more TDs. If anything I might call it an ever so slight hit to Ryan's numbers
I say that only because SJAX was on record as saying he wanted to go soemwhere to win a SB and where he could be a bell cow back. I don't think he met either of those.

Same Falcons that made it further than GB last year?Look, Im a Packers fan, but I think ATL (Ryan) took a step last year that they needed.I don't think GB is clearly ahead of them...or that you can distinguish which one is really better.Figure in likely better money, playing indoors rather than outside in GB...and in an offense that even with the passing weapons will likely run the ball more than GB (yes, GB had more rushes last season...but that seems the outlier)...makes sense for Jackson.And yeah, I think they think they are better seeing Jackson run about 20 times a game.

Turner's worst TD total in Atlanta was 10.

Steven Jackson's worst yardage total in St. Louis since 2006 was 1,273, which was in 12 games.

I think you can start at those numbers and go up.

Just came over to see if this was posted yet. What an offense!
They say Tony Gonzalez is still pondering whether to return for one more season. If I'm him and I see this signing, I'd lace them up for one more season because Jackson will make that offense ridiculuous.EDIT: Forget that. I now see he said he's returning. Great offense.
Yes, I think it was yesterday that I saw he told the team he was coming back. He must be smiling big now.

Likely more hype than substance. The Falcons have Roddy, Gonzo, and Julio. The league is a passing league. I don't think the Falcons think they will be a better team running SJAX 20-30 times a game. They had a great record last year doing what they do and they were on the record saying they wanted to save the RB's legs for when it mattered. He will be better than Turner but he's not going to be through the roof in real value.

Personally, I think if SJAX wanted a ring, he should have maybe signed with Green Bay or Pitt. I just don't think the Falcons have what it takes.
I say that only because SJAX was on record as saying he wanted to go soemwhere to win a SB and where he could be a bell cow back. I don't think he met either of those.
I agree. It would have been awesome to finally see Green Bay with an all-season, 3-down RB with his skills, even if diminishing.

Atlanta will drop to 2nd or 3rd in the division next year while GB will again be in the hunt. Maybe it was the money, maybe it was playing indoors on turf.

I agree. It would have been awesome to finally see Green Bay with an all-season, 3-down RB with his skills, even if diminishing.

Atlanta will drop to 2nd or 3rd in the division next year while GB will again be in the hunt. Maybe it was the money, maybe it was playing indoors on turf.
Really? Or just the Saints fan in you coming out?

Great situation.

Not sure how much longer he can play at a high level though. 30 years old. Leader among active NFL RBs in career carries.

Probably only has 1-2 years of useful production left in his body.

Not much difference in stats for Jackson. Slight bump for the rest of Atlanta's offense. Real life NFL - Offense wasn't Atlanta's reason for losing in the playoffs.
In 2012, ATL had 378 rushing attempts for 1397 yards and 12 TDs. The only guys to break the 4.0 YPC mark were Ryan and Julio Jones.In 2012, Jackson had 257 rushing attempts for 1042 yards and 4 TDs.I see Jackson as a 16 carry a game back here as well, for 256 carries on the season. Think he's back to at least 4.4 YPC, so that's 1126 yards on the ground. He's never been a tremendous scorer, but he hasn't had the opportunities he will in ATL, so I think 8 TD's is a safe projection. In the receiving game, he's much different than Turner and I think 3.5 receptions a game, or 44 for the season is a reasonable number seeing that Turner/Rodgers/Snelling combined for 100+ receptions last year and Jackson is better out of the backfield than any of them. 44 receptions at 8 YPR is 352 yards with 2 scores via the pass.So, my first run projections would be:256/1126/844/352/2That's a second round RB if I've ever seen one.

@Chet_G: SJax had 9 carries inside the 5 yard line and Michael Turner had 22. Look for a big increase in TDs for SJax.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion, I jsut happen to completely disagree with yours.Atlanta is a strong candidate for a 1st round bye and home field advantage. He will be their bellcow. 250 carries and 50 catches sounds like a bellcow to me in this day and age of football. PLus 12-15 TDs. So, team with great shot at the best record, and 300 touches. What is the problem exactly??

Really? Or just the Saints fan in you coming out?
No kidding.You guys are convincing me on Jackson. Who does he take production away from?
Rodgers shouldn't catch 50+ balls this year, Snelling also had 39 last year.
I dont think jackson takes stats away from anyone really, except maybe just a couple Ryan TD passes. The offense should be better overall and produce more. It should not affect White, Julio, or Gonzo. Gonzo will only be affected by his amount of work in the offseason and that he is 50 years old

Sonova#####! I would have loved to see him in a Steeler uniform. Fits the mold of the steel city perfectly. And as a J Rodgers owner I hate this!

Either you are :fishing: or a jaded packer fan...

'-jb- said:
A lot of folks really downplaying age and mileage in here. I've been a Steven Jackson fan for a long time, but the odds are against him having a renaissance.
All he needs to do is play as well as he did last year and he would have a big spike in fantasy points. That Atlanta offense is SOOOOOO much better than the Rams offense. Just another 5-6 TDs alone brings him close to 250 points in PPR leagues

I'll be very surprised if he doesn't look significantly better than either Turner or Quizz looked last year.

I'll also be surprised if Atlanta doesn't draft a RB in the mid rounds this year.

Sonova#####! I would have loved to see him in a Steeler uniform. Fits the mold of the steel city perfectly. And as a J Rodgers owner I hate this!
rodgers should still get his... richardson got his last season too.
Better than Lacy/Bernard IMO.
wait what? rodgers is better than lacy? that's a stretch imo.
I meant SJax is better for Rodgers' numbers than if they drafted either of those.

rodgers should still get his... richardson got his last season too.
Better than Lacy/Bernard IMO.
wait what? rodgers is better than lacy? that's a stretch imo.
I meant SJax is better for Rodgers' numbers than if they drafted either of those.
ah yeah. gotcha! :thumbup:

i think SJax will have a solid year. Very good FF RB2 at minimum. I'd normally target him but as a Ryan and Julio owner in my keeper league, not sure I'd want to put all my eggs in one basket. Then again... the Falcons will score a LOT.

Personally, I think if SJAX wanted a ring, he should have maybe signed with Green Bay or Pitt.
what ave you been smoking? don't get me wrong, i do like the team, but i just don't see them having a shot.no highjack and please don't feel offended.

i think SJax will have a solid year. Very good FF RB2 at minimum. I'd normally target him but as a Ryan and Julio owner in my keeper league, not sure I'd want to put all my eggs in one basket. Then again... the Falcons will score a LOT.
It's not like jackson is gonna be some super stud 300 point player now. But he will be better than he has been if he remains healthy, and if healthy all year I can see 250 in PPR leagues, somewhat easily. Double digit TDs really should be a total lock. And he clearly will get more catches than Turner. They might even run a few screens for him, imagine that. I essentially traded a 2014 1st for him in a league hoping what he was saying was true about wanting to win. Fortunately it worked out

He doesn't have to have a renaissance, just put up 1 or 2 more years like the last 5.
Here are his yards/scrimmage per game for the last five years:1181161029985Notice a trend?
I notice he is about to go to an offense than is 10x better.
Sure, and he will need to share with players who are 10x better. I don't doubt that he will get more TD looks. If you give him Turner's 10 and his own YFS from last year, he comes in at RB12. I think that's his upside. Nothing to sneeze at, but I think he's as likely to wind up hurt, or RB20.FF start-worthy, no question...but I don't get the salivation. YMMV.

He doesn't have to have a renaissance, just put up 1 or 2 more years like the last 5.
Here are his yards/scrimmage per game for the last five years:1181161029985Notice a trend?
Sure, and he will need to share with players who are 10x better. I don't doubt that he will get more TD looks. If you give him Turner's 10 and his own YFS from last year, he comes in at RB12. I think that's his upside. Nothing to sneeze at, but I think he's as likely to wind up hurt, or RB20.FF start-worthy, no question...but I don't get the salivation. YMMV.
His upside is certainly better than that. 250 would be RB-9 from last year. he would have had no chance to score that in St Louis.

Point taken on the yardage trend, but he's very reliable and will have easier running lanes this year and potential for more TDs. Would be very happy to have him as my #2 rb.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion, I jsut happen to completely disagree with yours.Atlanta is a strong candidate for a 1st round bye and home field advantage. He will be their bellcow. 250 carries and 50 catches sounds like a bellcow to me in this day and age of football. PLus 12-15 TDs. So, team with great shot at the best record, and 300 touches. What is the problem exactly??
Strong candidate - so are perhaps 5-6 other teams, including Green Bay.Any thoughts on dynasty vs just one year results?Jackson has 2800 touches (2400 carries + 400 receptions) over 9 years, including three 300+ carry seasons.Turner came to Atlanta after being under-used and still on the front end. St Louis moved on to two younger backs.I agree what's not to love here about the situation, especially this year, but for how long, how long. This will be his tenth season.

Users who are viewing this thread