What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official 2013 Grilling and Smoking Thread*** (1 Viewer)

TheFanatic

Footballguy
It's April and time to retire the 2012 thread. LOTS of great stuff in there, but it's time to start a new one.

I've got an epic week of grilling ahead. Char-Broil is flying me to Jacksonville for some marketing meetings, deep sea fishing and hopefully some fish grilling. Anybody got any great fish recipes?

Bigboy10182000 said:
Anyone use the grommets for the WSM?
Getting a WSM for my birthday this week and wanted to know if I should add these as well

TIA
If it's the 22.5 theres no need for them as it has a thermometer
I thought both the 18.5 and the 22.5 had a thermometer?

I was going to use the grommets for the meet in the smoker.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bigboy10182000 said:
Getting a WSM for my birthday this week and wanted to know if I should add these as well

TIA

The new models may, my 18.5 is around 5 years old. You will only be able to reach the meat closest to the side as most probes are only 4 or 5 inches long before they bend

http://www.amazon.com/Maverick-Remote-Wireless-Thermometer-ET-73/dp/B0044FFUMK

, just seems like a waste to me

Bigboy10182000 said:

TIA

The new models may, my 18.5 is around 5 years old. You will only be able to reach the meat closest to the side as most probes are only 4 or 5 inches long before they bend

The ones I was looking at appear to have the thermometer in the top of the dome--at least the image on the one at Amazon does.

As for the probes, the ones I have (I believe Maverick) are at least a foot long, maybe longer, and should be able to reach the meet on both racks.

I was looking to avoid having them run under the lid and leaking out any smoke.

Any new methods or techniques you guys are trying? It seems like it's pretty difficult to be innovative and completely original in the world of BBQ nowadays.

It's April and time to retire the 2012 thread. LOTS of great stuff in there, but it's time to start a new one.

I've got an epic week of grilling ahead. Char-Broil is flying me to Jacksonville for some marketing meetings, deep sea fishing and hopefully some fish grilling. Anybody got any great fish recipes?
When you getting here and were are you staying??
I get in tomorrow around 4 and am staying at the Ocean One or One Ocean resort.

Any new methods or techniques you guys are trying? It seems like it's pretty difficult to be innovative and completely original in the world of BBQ nowadays.
I just tried this last night with fish. It was outstanding. Basically, A layer of lemons, and then a layer of fresh dill sprigs and then some light white fish with a little salt, pepper, and olive oil. Was really pleased with the results. Didn't flip it the entire time. Sort of like planking fish, but using lemon and dill as the plank...

Ah, the Old Sea Turtle Inn. Have you set a Charter Boat yet? Ragtime just a block away is a good micro brewery and the Fly's Tie Irish Pub is not far either. Pleny of bars near you and a local legend of a place with the locals is a block away as well Pete's bar, a must visit.

Ah, the Old Sea Turtle Inn. Have you set a Charter Boat yet? Ragtime just a block away is a good micro brewery and the Fly's Tie Irish Pub is not far either. Pleny of bars near you and a local legend of a place with the locals is a block away as well Pete's bar, a must visit.
I have not set any plans. Char-Broil does all that. All I know is that we will be doing meetings on Thur (on camera presence, photography for our blogs, product features and such for the product line, etc), then "across the street to a local," something or other. Then the next day we're fishing in the morning and and if we catch anything grilling it, probably in a chopped type competition (not looking forward to going up against Danielle Demovskly aka DivaQ again), and then flying home on Sat.

We'll have a hospitality suite in the hotel, but I can see some of us going out for a beverage. Thanks for the heads up on the great locations!

I have not set any plans. Char-Broil does all that. All I know is that we will be doing meetings on Thur (on camera presence, photography for our blogs, product features and such for the product line, etc), then "across the street to a local," something or other. Then the next day we're fishing in the morning and and if we catch anything grilling it, probably in a chopped type competition (not looking forward to going up against Danielle Demovskly aka DivaQ again), and then flying home on Sat.

We'll have a hospitality suite in the hotel, but I can see some of us going out for a beverage. Thanks for the heads up on the great locations!
She the one from Canada? Sounds like "across the street" will be Ragtime, they serve a very good blackened mahi mahi.

This is what I meant in case anyone was wondering. Anyone use these:

https://www.rocksbarbque.com/product.gc?ID=32
Can't you just run the probe down through the vent on top?
This is what I did at first and it worked just fine with the thermometer that Megla linked to. Now I don't even bother...I just check my meat with a toothpick when it looks like it's getting close. I'll probe with a thermometer when I think it's done just to make sure.

Bigboy I don't think you'll need those. Run the thermometer through the top and after a few smokes I think you'll lose it all together. These smokers are so easy to use.

This is what I meant in case anyone was wondering. Anyone use these:

https://www.rocksbarbque.com/product.gc?ID=32
Can't you just run the probe down through the vent on top?
This is what I did at first and it worked just fine with the thermometer that Megla linked to. Now I don't even bother...I just check my meat with a toothpick when it looks like it's getting close. I'll probe with a thermometer when I think it's done just to make sure.

Bigboy I don't think you'll need those. Run the thermometer through the top and after a few smokes I think you'll lose it all together. These smokers are so easy to use.
I bought one of these prior to the WSM 22.5 coming out

http://www.thuisshop.nl/media/catalog/product/cache/4/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/f/r/frontier_groot.jpg

and it has the grommets built in on multiple levels, I can honestly say I uses them 2 or 3 times and then never again.

Picked up an iGrill this year, used it once so far. Can't say I'd highy recommend it yet because I only used it once, but it did exactly what it was supposed to.

Set the temperature on my phone and phone alarm went off once meat hit the desired. Very slick.

She the one from Canada? Sounds like "across the street" will be Ragtime, they serve a very good blackened mahi mahi.
Yeah, she's a Canuck. Very cool person. She's exactly who she is on camera or off. Very fun.

Blackened Mahi Mahi is SOOOO my speed! Thanks for the tip!

Oh, we're also supposed to get a tour of the HGTV Smart Home that's nearby. Char-Broil sponsors the smart home. Last year we got a tour of the Green Home outside Atlanta. That was pretty cool to see it on TV a week later...

Picked up an iGrill this year, used it once so far. Can't say I'd highy recommend it yet because I only used it once, but it did exactly what it was supposed to.

Set the temperature on my phone and phone alarm went off once meat hit the desired. Very slick.
A local guy here makes a simplified one of those called the PitmasterIQ. Alton Brown featured it on his show. Does an excellent job regulating temps. Doesn't give me a call when it's done, but it's also pretty cheap at $140 and American made...

Bigboy10182000 said:

TIA

The ones I was looking at appear to have the thermometer in the top of the dome--at least the image on the one at Amazon does.

As for the probes, the ones I have (I believe Maverick) are at least a foot long, maybe longer, and should be able to reach the meet on both racks.

This is what I do when I use a thermometer. It still seals tight. Never have any problems with leaking or temps.

Bigboy10182000 said:

TIA

If this is your goal, the cord running out the lid is minimal. I don't see the point in them either. You'll have much more smoke coming out the door than worrying about the cord in the lid.

Thanks for the replies! How many of you use the water pan for the WSM? I've seen quite a few paople who do and who don't...whats your prefereance?

I still have never used the WSM, but I must say that since I've switched to doing basic, small jobs on the Weber Kettle, I'm not sure I'll ever turn back. Those puppies are real workhorses. Cheap, easy on the charcoal, and crazy simple to use. From my ECB days, I certainly don't miss having to lift one rack off to access the bottom one.

I use those exclusively unless I need to smoke more than 4 butts. A 22.5" Weber Kettle is the perfect size for 2 butts, at least up to 9 lb. each and probably a little more (haven't found 2 butts so big that they wouldn't fit yet).

Obviously, I couldn't and wouldn't ever recommend not getting a WSM, but for someone looking for something cheap and versatile for smoking and grilling, I'd always recommend the trusty Kettle.

Thanks for the replies! How many of you use the water pan for the WSM? I've seen quite a few paople who do and who don't...whats your prefereance?
I used to use it all the time. Now I don't at all. I have the bigger 22 inch on and find not using water allows me to use less fuel and the temps are easier to control. If it's a really windy day and I"m having problems keeping temps low, I'll put a gallon of water in to help stabilize the temps.

I used to use it all the time. Now I don't at all. I have the bigger 22 inch on and find not using water allows me to use less fuel and the temps are easier to control. If it's a really windy day and I"m having problems keeping temps low, I'll put a gallon of water in to help stabilize the temps.
Sounds like a good plan! Maybe I can put a pot saucer or something in the pan when I dont plan on using the pan.

I cant wait to get the WSM!!

A lot of variables here. I dont use it for chicken or ribs because I like the higher temps / quicker cook and the direct heat / juices dripping in the fire. If its really cold outside and Im doing pork/brisket, Ill put it in with no water, mostly as a heat deflector. If its nice outside and Im doing pork/brisket, Ill fill it with water/sand to act as a heat sink.

A lot of variables here. I dont use it for chicken or ribs because I like the higher temps / quicker cook and the direct heat / juices dripping in the fire. If its really cold outside and Im doing pork/brisket, Ill put it in with no water, mostly as a heat deflector. If its nice outside and Im doing pork/brisket, Ill fill it with water/sand to act as a heat sink.
So there's timere where you dont have the water pan in at all? Interesting

Nothing really new or innovative, but here are a few things that I really liked from last year.

- Thanks to a bumper crop, I did a ton of jalapenos. ABTs are obviously awesome, but they're also a ton of work. Instead, I stuffed them with pepperonis (2 of them curled up fit right inside and allow room for filling) plus a leaf of basil and a mixture of cream cheese and grated cheese. I also got this cool jalapeno shaped stand to cook them on. Every bit as good as an ABT, IMO, and much quicker/easier to make. Need a good name for these (one that doesnt have the word turd in it).

- I also took boneless/skinless chicken breasts/thighs, chopped them into 2" chunks, put them in a foil pan and smoked on low heat for an hour. Then I heated up a mixture of big bottle of Franks Red Hot, half-stick of butter, 3oz cream cheese, 1/8C of sugar, lots of garlic, and 1TBL of Lea & Perrins Worcestershire. Poured it over the chicken and smoked for another two hours. After it was cooked, it shredded up like chicken you would cook in a crock-pot. The taste is out of this world and its great to throw small containers of leftovers in the freezer to have instant awesomeness whenever you get the craving. Still havent figured out the best way to eat it though. I think my favorite is served on top of a pile of basmati rice.

- Finally, if you have a lot of extra time on your hands, or really want to impress, I did lollipop chicken legs and melt-in-your mouth boneless thighs. For the legs, you take a knife and cut through the skin/tendons down at the bottom of the bone. You then take a pair of needle nose pliers and pull out all the tendons. Finally, you push all the meat up to the top of the bone like a lollipop. For the thighs, you remove the skin. Score it down the middle on the underside and take a knife and scrape off all the fat so you're left with a nearly see-through piece of skin. Put the skin back on and it will melt in your mouth when cooked. If you have kids, be careful doing it this way because they'll expect/want it every time.

So there's timere where you dont have the water pan in at all? Interesting
Yes, but only if Im already cooking the meat in a foil pan. You dont want the juices dripping into a red-hot, empty water pan directly above the fire. It will burn badly.

Nothing really new or innovative, but here are a few things that I really liked from last year.

- Thanks to a bumper crop, I did a ton of jalapenos. ABTs are obviously awesome, but they're also a ton of work. Instead, I stuffed them with pepperonis (2 of them curled up fit right inside and allow room for filling) plus a leaf of basil and a mixture of cream cheese and grated cheese. I also got this cool jalapeno shaped stand to cook them on. Every bit as good as an ABT, IMO, and much quicker/easier to make. Need a good name for these (one that doesnt have the word turd in it).

- I also took boneless/skinless chicken breasts/thighs, chopped them into 2" chunks, put them in a foil pan and smoked on low heat for an hour. Then I heated up a mixture of big bottle of Franks Red Hot, half-stick of butter, 3oz cream cheese, 1/8C of sugar, lots of garlic, and 1TBL of Lea & Perrins Worcestershire. Poured it over the chicken and smoked for another two hours. After it was cooked, it shredded up like chicken you would cook in a crock-pot. The taste is out of this world and its great to throw small containers of leftovers in the freezer to have instant awesomeness whenever you get the craving. Still havent figured out the best way to eat it though. I think my favorite is served on top of a pile of basmati rice.

- Finally, if you have a lot of extra time on your hands, or really want to impress, I did lollipop chicken legs and melt-in-your mouth boneless thighs. For the legs, you take a knife and cut through the skin/tendons down at the bottom of the bone. You then take a pair of needle nose pliers and pull out all the tendons. Finally, you push all the meat up to the top of the bone like a lollipop. For the thighs, you remove the skin. Score it down the middle on the underside and take a knife and scrape off all the fat so you're left with a nearly see-through piece of skin. Put the skin back on and it will melt in your mouth when cooked. If you have kids, be careful doing it this way because they'll expect/want it every time.
These are strong. I think I'll definitely be trying the abt modification and the lollipop chicken legs. Different sides and apps are always a big hit.

These are strong. I think I'll definitely be trying the abt modification and the lollipop chicken legs. Different sides and apps are always a big hit.
:goodposting: All great ideas that I'll use at some point.

Fire blossom? That first pic looks like a flower.

Fire blossom? That first pic looks like a flower.
I couldnt remember when I typed this, but I think I was calling them "Pizza Peppers" last year. I probably took them to 3-4 different parties/picnics and they were always a huge hit. One of the fun things is you never really know how hot they're going to be as different plants/crops have different levels of heat. I made some that weren't hot at all, but I also took a batch to our draft that lit everyone up. The longer they cook and softer they get, the more mild they seem to become.

Going to make these for the Draft Thursday night along with some home fries and PP sammies

Pulled Pork Hushpuppies

First, gather the ingredients. Use equal amounts of cornmeal & flour, 1 to 2 eggs, enough milk (or better yet, buttermilk!) to give the batter a thick pancake batter-like consistency. Everything else use your own judgment. They taste good with just about anything you feel like dumping in there!Self-rising cornmealFlourEggsMilkOnionPork...of course!SaltPepperRed pepper flakes or cayenne (optional)Mix dry ingredients, slowly add beaten egg & milk to cake-like consistency, and then add chopped onion & pork. I usually chop 1/2 of the onion & pork pretty fine and leave the other half rather coarse.When making your batter use more pork, onion & spices than you think you need. The cornbread tends to wash out the spicier flavors. Let the batter rest for 15-20 minutes.

Fry at 375 for 6-10 minutes and let rest, serve with your favorite PP sauce.

I went to the Big Green Egg "World Headquarters" in Tucker, GA Saturday because a radio station I listen to was there and they were giving away an egg to someone who answered a trivia question correctly. I got the question correct so my name was in the drawing and proceeded to win the egg. It's a Mini Green Egg valued at about $350. I also got a bag of their lump charcoal and a couple of tools. The thing stands about 24" high and weighs almost 50 pounds and has a 9-1/2" grill.

I have no clue what I'll ever do on it, but it's cool to add to my 2 WSMs... If nothing else it's a great paper weight.

ETA - I guess some small steaks or a couple of pieces of chicken will fit.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread