What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Rumor Confirmed: Josh Gordon suspended 2 games (1 Viewer)

wadegarrett

FFA Legend™
Rumor flying around Cleveland about something involving Josh Gordon. Local radio sports talk show host Tony Rizzo won't speculate on it b/c it is just a rumor at this point.

ESPNCleveland and longtime Browns beat writer Tony Grossi answered a question on Twitter yesterday about Gordon this way...

Tony Grossi@TonyGrossi2 Jun
"@Doug_Horner Josh Gordon has a 1000+ yard season with 8+ td’s.. Realistic? // If he's active for 16 games, sure.

Read into that how you want but nothing confirmed at this point but there is some smoke out there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bizarrely, I think this might actually help his relative value in redraft leagues.

He is currently WR35 at 8.01, so most people are taking him as WR3/4 which I think is undervalued. Now how much does this knock him down? For comparison, Justin Blackmon and his 4 game suspension are going WR42 at around 9.07.

Now if this knocks him into the 9th or 10th round as well, then you could grab him as your WR5 which even factoring in the potential 4 game suspension is great value. As far as I'm aware, this doesn't stop him practicing so he'll still get all the reps in the pre-season and it's not like the Browns have a load of talented receivers to replace him with.

If true, it just means you can get him in later rounds.

As a Browns fan I just want to bang my head against the wall.

Not sure what to believe. It would be soo easy to create a believable rumor due to his past history.

A 4 game suspension implies PEDs. Marijuana offenses are usually lighter. Leshore got 2 games for a Marijuana arrest.

All I can find is this from May 28th in Cleveland360 / Yardbarker:

http://network.yardbarker.com/nfl/article_external/has_browns_receiver_josh_gordon_left_the_habits_that_caused_him_to_fail_3_drugs_tests_in_college_behind_him_good_question/13712921

Josh Gordon has just come out and praised the Cleveland Browns new offense. He said defenses will be amazed at the teams new offense. The question I am suddenly pondering, is whether we can expect Gordon to play in all 16 games next season.

When the Browns picked Gordon in the 2012 supplemental draft, they had to be concerned with his past. The thing that is humorous in 2013, is that none of the guys who took Gordon are with the Browns this season.

Gordon has a ton of talent when it comes to catching the football, but he doesn’t have a ton of talent when it comes to avoiding trouble. After he was picked by the Browns, Gordon reluctantly come clean about his three failed drug tests in his past.

Gordon said, he had learned his lesson, and missing a year of college football would be enough for most to learn their lesson. With the 2013 season approaching and the Browns installing a new high-powered offense that could feature Gordon and Little as the Browns premier receivers, one has to wonder about Gordon’s abilities to continue to pass NFL drug tests.

Should the Browns be concerned about Gordon? We don’t know. What we do know is that there are some that think they have a reason to be concerned. There are some that think trouble is already brewing and that Gordon could in fact be part of this trouble.

While we can’t substantiate any of these concerns at this time, we can wonder about Gordon’s past and whether he out grew the problems that would cause him to fail a drug test. We also can wonder whether a guy who couldn’t get away with his troubles in College would be dumb enough to think he could get away with it in the NFL.

It is far too early to say what is going to happen in 2013. It is also far to early to make a prediction about how many games Josh Gordon will play for the Cleveland Browns this season. If a guy like Gordon was smart, he would have learned to not tempt fate after what happened to him in college. If he was even smarter, he would recall what happened to Haden last season and all those reasons would be enough to avoid failure again.

It will be interesting to see if Gordon was able to out grow his failures….. Are they in the past? Only time will tell……
Comments afterward are interesting:

LG5:55 am on May 29, 2013
Keep your eyes and ears open. I think you will have a heck of a surprise coming about Gordon. Look at some of the comments on yesterday’s article……

Who's LG? Is the rumor Tony Rizzo was referring to, or is there someone else talking about this?
Just Rizzo, but if he's talking about it I would bet on truth. He turns a blind eye to anything negative Cleveland sports if he can, so if he's even mentioning anything rumor related it's probably true.

What are the odds that a guy kicked out of Baylor and then suddenly declared for the supplemental draft on short notice after sitting out a year instead of playing another year of college ball to repair his draft stock may have been busted again?

What are the odds that a guy kicked out of Baylor and then suddenly declared for the supplemental draft on short notice after sitting out a year instead of playing another year of college ball to repair his draft stock may have been busted again?
You missed the part about also failing a drug test at Utah.

You missed the part about also failing a drug test at Utah.
I never heard that. I did wonder just from the fact that after transfering and sitting out a year he suddenly decided to declare for the supplemental after he'd already passed on the NFL draft.

It's nearly 2PM on the east coast and no news outlets have broken the story. just put me out of my misery and make the announcement!!!! I can't handle this!!!!
iirc, we sat on Haden rumors for a good amount of time last year before anything was officially announced.

http://network.yardbarker.com/nfl/article_external/has_browns_receiver_josh_gordon_left_the_habits_that_caused_him_to_fail_3_drugs_tests_in_college_behind_him_good_question/13712921

Josh Gordon has just come out and praised the Cleveland Browns new offense. He said defenses will be amazed at the teams new offense. The question I am suddenly pondering, is whether we can expect Gordon to play in all 16 games next season.

When the Browns picked Gordon in the 2012 supplemental draft, they had to be concerned with his past. The thing that is humorous in 2013, is that none of the guys who took Gordon are with the Browns this season.

Gordon has a ton of talent when it comes to catching the football, but he doesn’t have a ton of talent when it comes to avoiding trouble. After he was picked by the Browns, Gordon reluctantly come clean about his three failed drug tests in his past.

Gordon said, he had learned his lesson, and missing a year of college football would be enough for most to learn their lesson. With the 2013 season approaching and the Browns installing a new high-powered offense that could feature Gordon and Little as the Browns premier receivers, one has to wonder about Gordon’s abilities to continue to pass NFL drug tests.

Should the Browns be concerned about Gordon? We don’t know. What we do know is that there are some that think they have a reason to be concerned. There are some that think trouble is already brewing and that Gordon could in fact be part of this trouble.

While we can’t substantiate any of these concerns at this time, we can wonder about Gordon’s past and whether he out grew the problems that would cause him to fail a drug test. We also can wonder whether a guy who couldn’t get away with his troubles in College would be dumb enough to think he could get away with it in the NFL.

It is far too early to say what is going to happen in 2013. It is also far to early to make a prediction about how many games Josh Gordon will play for the Cleveland Browns this season. If a guy like Gordon was smart, he would have learned to not tempt fate after what happened to him in college. If he was even smarter, he would recall what happened to Haden last season and all those reasons would be enough to avoid failure again.

It will be interesting to see if Gordon was able to out grow his failures….. Are they in the past? Only time will tell……

>LG5:55 am on May 29, 2013
Keep your eyes and ears open. I think you will have a heck of a surprise coming about Gordon. Look at some of the comments on yesterday’s article……
Here is the previous comment that LG is referring to from the prior article:

Bobby D4:00 pm on May 28, 2013
Nice attitude from the team. Too bad Gordon has a suspension comming up. 4 games unless he appeals. Stop doing stupid stuff people. If you couldn’t get away with it in college why think you can as a pro.

Funny what you learn over a weekend drinking with the right people.

http://clevelandsports360.com/wordpress/josh-gordon-is-excited-about-the-browns-offense-joe-haden-loves-the-new-defense-are-the-browns-going-to-the-playoffs/
Gotta wonder about this. Almost a week ago, and nothing has come out yet about it. Someone just spreading rumors for fun?

&gt

;

LG5:55 am on May 29, 2013
Keep your eyes and ears open. I think you will have a heck of a surprise coming about Gordon. Look at some of the comments on yesterday’s article…&h

ellip;lockquote>Here is the previous comment that LG is referring to from the prior article:

>

Bobby D4:00 pm on May 28, 2013
Nice attitude from the team. Too bad Gordon has a suspension comming up. 4 games unless he appeals. Stop doing stupid stuff people. If you couldn’t get away with it in college why think you can as a pro.

Funny what you learn over a weekend drinking with the right people.

http://clevelandsports360.com/wordpress/josh-gordon-is-excited-about-the-browns-offense-joe-haden-loves-the-new-defense-are-the-browns-going-to-the-playoffs/
Gotta wonder about this. Almost a week ago, and nothing has come out yet about it. Someone just spreading rumors for fun?
Agree. Seems odd that people with the info on this go out drinking and apparently spill the beans to this random guy and it still hasn't been leaked to the press officially?
The team and player know quite a bit before it gets released to the public. Blackmon and the Jags knew about his suspension long before it was announced.

So a couple days ago Gordon was talking to the media about how other teams will have to defend them differently, and changes to the offense and stuff. Would he be saying all this a couple days ago if he knew there was a suspension coming?

Seems odd to have this thread, and no one of any affiliation with anything saying anything.

So a couple days ago Gordon was talking to the media about how other teams will have to defend them differently, and changes to the offense and stuff. Would he be saying all this a couple days ago if he knew there was a suspension coming?

Seems odd to have this thread, and no one of any affiliation with anything saying anything.
well the thread is pretty clear that this is a rumor

Bizarrely, I think this might actually help his relative value in redraft leagues.

He is currently WR35 at 8.01, so most people are taking him as WR3/4 which I think is undervalued. Now how much does this knock him down? For comparison, Justin Blackmon and his 4 game suspension are going WR42 at around 9.07.

Now if this knocks him into the 9th or 10th round as well, then you could grab him as your WR5 which even factoring in the potential 4 game suspension is great value. As far as I'm aware, this doesn't stop him practicing so he'll still get all the reps in the pre-season and it's not like the Browns have a load of talented receivers to replace him with.
Totally agreed. In redrafts/shallow keepers, I'm going to be targeting Blackmon and Gordon after I have my solid WR1-3 stable built. By the time bye weeks start hitting, these two will be back.

well the thread is pretty clear that this is a rumor
Umm, yes, I know. To which I am adding a small nugget of information. I would be on the "rumor and not truth" side of the fence on this.

But, who knows. Stuff like this ya never know till ya know.

drugs are bad mmmmmk
It really will be nice when the entire country (then hopefully the NFL) legalizes Marijuana. Let a doper dope. Let a puffer puff. It's not performance enhancing, and it's less harmful to your body than almost all prescribed medications (assuming you smoke with a vaporizer).

Oh well, until then, I expect several weed suspensions every year.

Also just reading the tweet or whatever from the 1st post......................in what way shape or form does that mean anything regarding a suspension?? "If he plays 16 games....." is something I preface a TON of statements with when predicting stats.

ghostguy123 said:
prhof14 said:
drugs are bad mmmmmk
It really will be nice when the entire country (then hopefully the NFL) legalizes Marijuana. Let a doper dope. Let a puffer puff. It's not performance enhancing, and it's less harmful to your body than almost all prescribed medications (assuming you smoke with a vaporizer).

Oh well, until then, I expect several weed suspensions every year.
:goodposting:

ghostguy123 said:
Also just reading the tweet or whatever from the 1st post......................in what way shape or form does that mean anything regarding a suspension?? "If he plays 16 games....." is something I preface a TON of statements with when predicting stats.
I can see that for a guy who has had injury problems but a healthy 22 yo WR?

wadegarrett said:
Rumor flying around Cleveland about something involving Josh Gordon. Local radio sports talk show host Tony Rizzo won't speculate on it b/c it is just a rumor at this point.

ESPNCleveland and longtime Browns beat writer Tony Grossi answered a question on Twitter yesterday about Gordon this way...

Tony Grossi@TonyGrossi2 Jun
"@Doug_Horner Josh Gordon has a 1000+ yard season with 8+ td’s.. Realistic? // If he's active for 16 games, sure.

Read into that how you want but nothing confirmed at this point but there is some smoke out there.
I think you are reading into that way much, way to get everyone scared and stuff. It probably simply means if he stays healthy and doesn't get suspended like a in the past thing not like he has already been busted and they are not telling anyone, cmon man had me searching google lol

Wouldn't he just say "if he's healthy" in that case? Are the Browns really going to deactivate him for some other reason?

I Googled this "rumor" a bit ago and found not one word anywhere except what's being blathered in this thread. Lots about the past of course, but nothing suggesting any suspension is coming down now. So if some guy in a bar overheard someone's cousin's girlfriend say something, great. I'm not losing any sleep over it. And if "if he plays 16 games" is to be construed as a veiled reference to a suspension, I've been guilty of that rumor 50 times.

Am I remembering right that nobody can say squat on the record until the appeals process runs its course?

ghostguy123 said:
I can see that for a guy who has had injury problems but a healthy 22 yo WR?
it's called a projection. If you read into that comment, then any comment anyone says every can be read into.

Wouldn't he just say "if he's healthy" in that case? Are the Browns really going to deactivate him for some other reason?
I am sure he meant it like that, but when you are asked a question do you sit there for an hour to make sure you say the exact correct thing so that no one could ever possibly misinterpret it???? Probably not, neither does he.

Are the Broncos and Seahawks allowed to toke? Can an employer legally test for and tell you that you can't smoke cigarettes?

MAC_32 said:
Bucky86 said:
Who's LG? Is the rumor Tony Rizzo was referring to, or is there someone else talking about this?
Just Rizzo, but if he's talking about it I would bet on truth. He turns a blind eye to anything negative Cleveland sports if he can, so if he's even mentioning anything rumor related it's probably true.
People reading the first post, maybe skimming, and then commenting, are completely missing the Rizzo angle.

Are the Broncos and Seahawks allowed to toke? Can an employer legally test for and tell you that you can't smoke cigarettes?
The NFL already issued a statement that marijuana was still banned, even in states where it was legal. That's not unprecedented- there are several supplements and ingredients that are perfectly legal to buy over-the-counter but which will trigger a suspension from the NFL if you test positive.

Granted, those supplements are banned under the reasoning that they're "performance enhancing", which marijuana clearly is not. Really, though, the entire "performance enhancing" boogeyman is stupid and needs to be discarded. Contact lenses are performance enhancing; they improve your eyesight from your natural god-given levels. The NFL doesn't have problem with players who wear contacts. Nor should they. If someone takes Ginko to help them remember the playbook, that's performance enhancing. All of those painkilling shots every player takes before games are performance enhancers. Coffee is a performance enhancing drug if it helps you be present and alert during morning meetings. I fail to see how enhancing someone's performance is a bad thing- I take steps to enhance my performance, and I'm sure my various employers have appreciated those steps. The NFL shouldn't be banning things under the reasoning that they make people better at their jobs. They should be banning things that are illegal, dangerous, or both. Steroids aren't bad because they enhance your performance, they're bad because if you overdo it they will cause long-term health problems and even death. It's important for the league to step in and regulate them so that the game doesn't devolve into an arms race where everyone is taking more and more steroids and the choice becomes either sacrificing your future health (because you're doing unhealthy levels of steroids) or your current career (because you can't compete against the people who choose to do unhealthy levels of steroids).

The NFL already issued a statement that marijuana was still banned, even in states where it was legal. That's not unprecedented- there are several supplements and ingredients that are perfectly legal to buy over-the-counter but which will trigger a suspension from the NFL if you test positive.

Granted, those supplements are banned under the reasoning that they're "performance enhancing", which marijuana clearly is not. Really, though, the entire "performance enhancing" boogeyman is stupid and needs to be discarded. Contact lenses are performance enhancing; they improve your eyesight from your natural god-given levels. The NFL doesn't have problem with players who wear contacts. Nor should they. If someone takes Ginko to help them remember the playbook, that's performance enhancing. All of those painkilling shots every player takes before games are performance enhancers. Coffee is a performance enhancing drug if it helps you be present and alert during morning meetings. I fail to see how enhancing someone's performance is a bad thing- I take steps to enhance my performance, and I'm sure my various employers have appreciated those steps. The NFL shouldn't be banning things under the reasoning that they make people better at their jobs. They should be banning things that are illegal, dangerous, or both. Steroids aren't bad because they enhance your performance, they're bad because if you overdo it they will cause long-term health problems and even death. It's important for the league to step in and regulate them so that the game doesn't devolve into an arms race where everyone is taking more and more steroids and the choice becomes either sacrificing your future health (because you're doing unhealthy levels of steroids) or your current career (because you can't compete against the people who choose to do unhealthy levels of steroids).
100% agreed on every level.

Great post.

I Googled this "rumor" a bit ago and found not one word anywhere except what's being blathered in this thread. Lots about the past of course, but nothing suggesting any suspension is coming down now. So if some guy in a bar overheard someone's cousin's girlfriend say something, great. I'm not losing any sleep over it. And if "if he plays 16 games" is to be construed as a veiled reference to a suspension, I've been guilty of that rumor 50 times.
Grossi hasn't bothered to clarify himself. :shrug:

Um, months ago a tweet from Gordon's account showed a guy with a hoodie on bending over a bong, his face was obscured but it came from GORDON'S Twitter account so you do the math.

Then Josh Gordon tweeted about how much he liked a TV show called WEEDS.

I don't watch TV at all but I can bet what the primary subject of a TV program called WEEDS is supposed to revolve around.

Then I saw rumors of a 'major' Browns player who was up for suspension.

Ahhh, I think Joshy has some growing up to do.

Not sure of the NFL by-laws on suspension or if they first get a warning shot accross the bow but the kid needs a wake-up call.

This might be it.

Users who are viewing this thread