What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Poll: Ryan Mallett or Nick Foles dynasty? (1 Viewer)

Better overall dynasty option

• Nick Foles

Votes: 28 38.4%
  • Ryan Mallett

Votes: 45 61.6%

• Total voters
Mallet.

He is in an amazing system and is being being groomed.

I can see Foles losing out to Barkley.

Foles is in a good spot with Chip. Don't see how Barkley can beat Foles out (even in their college days Foles was superior)

I like Mallett as well but who knows where he'll end up it may be 2015 before he takes a regular season snap.

Foles I think because he has an immediate oppurtinity. Mallett may or may not get his chance before he hits UFA after the 2014 season. I don't think he does get that chance in New England barring a season ending Brady injury and lights out performance by Mallett (ala the Bledsoe/Brady transistion). That isn't likely.

Foles will get starts this season I think. Vick isn't disciplined enough to hold that job all year. Barkley is a rookie. If Foles does not get an opportunity to seize the reigns, I think his value lies in trading him to somebody like Jacksonville or KC. No matter which happens, Foles will play a lot more snaps than Mallett in the next two season (unless Brady gets hurt).

If both hit FA today, I think Mallet gets more money, but it is pretty close.

FWIW I hope one gets the shot, I have both as my depth in a SuperFlex behind Rodgers and Cam. I am sitting pretty and able to wait it out after both were inexplicably cut by impatient owners (yeah smartphones!)

Mallet.

Foles needs to be a fantasy QB1 to have trade value. I don't see that happening.

Mallet just needs to get traded. Then he will be hyped and have his value inflated.

Don't have any faith in either guy so give me the one I think I'll be able to flip for more (with patience).

I will take Mallet since his coach actually drafted him rather than inherited him. I have no idea how Chip actually views Foles. He can't have him rated too high since he drafted Barkley.

Foles will join the great list of NFL backup QB's that somehow fool people to thinking they're NFL starting material, drafted by Andy Reid. That's what he is.

Mallett was better in college & has far greater physical gifts.

If I'm looking for the guy with the better chance of being a NFL starting QB and fantasy relevant, it's Mallett hands down.

Last edited by a moderator:
Foles will join the great list of NFL backup QB's that somehow fool people to thinking they're NFL starting material, drafted by Andy Reid. That's what he is.

Mallett was better in college & has far greater physical gifts.

If I'm looking for the guy with the better chance of being a NFL starting QB and fantasy relevant, it's Mallett hands down.
I think Foles has a little bit of a chance but it's not close for me between him and Mallett.

Mallet.

Foles needs to be a fantasy QB1 to have trade value. I don't see that happening.

Mallet just needs to get traded. Then he will be hyped and have his value inflated.

Don't have any faith in either guy so give me the one I think I'll be able to flip for more (with patience).
This. It all comes down to who you think has potential to be a QB1 (and if think both do, then it comes down to who has the higher upside with the perceived chances of reaching that upside). If Foles ended being a QB18 and Mallet a perennial back-up, both are almost worth the same in an Start 1 QB league, so the fact the Foles is starting and Mallet isn't is moot.

From Week 13-16 last season, Foles outscored Stafford, Flacco, and tied for points with Kaepernick. Sure a small sample size but he did more in that month than Mallet has done yet.

Foles....primarily based on opportunity. Neither has a very high value right now, but both should be on dynasty rosters.

Foles....primarily based on opportunity. Neither has a very high value right now, but both should be on dynasty rosters.
Opportunity is a negative unless you think he will cash in. Value in the unknown. There are guys who believe in Mallet and nothing will dissuade them if he is sitting on the bench all year sharing a hot dog with Tebow. His value will rise this year by doing nothing, getting closer to the date where he is named Cleveland's starter. And when he gets that gig, it will be unquestioned, not like what Foles has now where even if they cut Vick which is highly unlikely you got Barkley there. Foles' value will at best stay constant unless you think Chip Kelly is going to let him deliver consistent 300 yd games and not get schizo swapping between the 3 QB all year. It's a question. The Kelly situation is a + because they are going to run a lot of plays but a lot of those will be runs. Foles will have 0 value if he's a 25 attempt per game type of guy.

Except for KC, none of those teams will give him the PA that he got last year. Reid is a different animal. What coach in their right mind would give Nick Foles enough PA to be relevant.

Foles is ok. He could be a long term starter in the NFL. Certainly there's pedigree guys like Locker/Ponder/Gabbert/Geno/Manuel he might end up being better than. But there's a high bar and unless he goes Bobby Boucher it's unlikely he'll reach that.

The fact he did for a four game stretch last year is irrelevant IMO. It is Reid. It is Volektricity. It's over.

Only rookie in NFL history to avg 240 ypg and complete 60% of his passes - Foles

If he has a next level he should be at least a Matt Shaub type of QB. Not to mention he was pressed into action under pretty bad circumstances. I said in the Foles thread that he will be ignored until he over-proves himself pretty much.

Only rookie in NFL history to avg 240 ypg and complete 60% of his passes - Foles

If he has a next level he should be at least a Matt Shaub type of QB. Not to mention he was pressed into action under pretty bad circumstances. I said in the Foles thread that he will be ignored until he over-proves himself pretty much.
Isn't he pretty much a Matt Shaub type of QB now?

Except for KC, none of those teams will give him the PA that he got last year. Reid is a different animal. What coach in their right mind would give Nick Foles enough PA to be relevant.

Foles is ok. He could be a long term starter in the NFL. Certainly there's pedigree guys like Locker/Ponder/Gabbert/Geno/Manuel he might end up being better than. But there's a high bar and unless he goes Bobby Boucher it's unlikely he'll reach that.

The fact he did for a four game stretch last year is irrelevant IMO. It is Reid. It is Volektricity. It's over.
Well done.

Foles is safer - if you want a FF QB10. I'd rather swing for the fences with the guy with superior physical skills. Mallet has a much higher ceiling

I'd say so. The numbers say so as well. Mainstream is waiting for him to over prove himself like Russell Wilson did this year. Being a late round pick they don't get the benefit of doubt. They have to produce until its obvious. I've been screaming about Foles for a while and It's always "I need to see more," "he looked better," "its the preseason,'" "'I like him but Im not totally sold" ect... Good buying opportunity in FF while everyone thinks his upside is QB18 or whatever guys are saying.

ShaHBucks said:
PatsFanCT said:
ShaHBucks said:

I'd say so. The numbers say so as well. Mainstream is waiting for him to over prove himself like Russell Wilson did this year. Being a late round pick they don't get the benefit of doubt. They have to produce until its obvious. I've been screaming about Foles for a while and It's always "I need to see more," "he looked better," "its the preseason,'" "'I like him but Im not totally sold" ect... Good buying opportunity in FF while everyone thinks his upside is QB18 or whatever guys are saying.
I actually made the bold prediction before they were all drafted, that I thought Foles would be the best NFL QB out of all of 'em. While Luck has made that prediction look a bit silly, I still think he has a great shot at becoming top 10 in the coming years. I absolutely loved him at AZ.

I like them both as holds right now. In fact I own both as holds and I am trying to acquire them in another league. Either one. I don't know what will happen in the future and neither does anyone else. I call it a draw really. Mallett is a bit older but has great tutelage and prototype body/arm. Foles has shown early success and is also a damn fine specimen. He's in a better situation in that there is no established superstar ahead of him. Vick is great but Vick is Vick. He's never refined his game and that just might catch up to him this year. He's not in Brady's class at all.

And if Vick does put it all together this season, Foles has a good shot to be the next Kolb. His current regime has no ties to him. He could be sent packing for draft picks as Kelly tries to bring in more of "his guys."

Like I said, we don't know what will happen. Heck both Vick and Brady could be in the IR before October. Same could be said for Mallett and Foles. Remember Aaron Rodgers went on IR twice before Favre ever left town. Right now I rate them as even prospects with very nice upside. I think both get a shot within the next two seasons to raise their stock. Arrow pointing up on both.

Users who are viewing this thread