What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Top 20 QB Rankings For The 2013 Season (1 Viewer)

Phenix

Footballguy
Not that it matters for QB, but these are my rankings for Redraft PPR. RBs, WRs and TEs are not too far behind.

[SIZE=9pt]#1 Drew Brees, New Orleans Saints (Age 34) Bye: 7http://subscribers.footballguys.com/players/BreeDr00-1.php[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9pt]4,975 passing yards, 42 TDs and 15 picks with 5 rushing yards and 1 rushing score[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9pt]Bounty gate really screwed the Saints last year and Brees still tossed for 5,177 passing yards and had a total of 45 scores. He did throw 19 picks, but some of that could be blamed on not having his play caller last year. As if Brees really needs the talk up, but he can only do better with Payton back. LOOK OUT NFL as Brees gets mad at the world this year. He has thrown the ball over 650 times and completed over 420 of them in each of the last 3 seasons, so don't[/SIZE][SIZE=9pt] expect any shortness of opportunity this year either.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9pt]#2 Aaron Rodgers, Green Bay Packers (Age 30) Bye: 4 http://subscribers.footballguys.com/players/RodgAa00-1.php[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9pt]4,720 passing yards, 38 TDs and 8 picks with 280 rushing yards and 3 rushing scores[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9pt]ARod just got paid, and will show he is well more than worth it. What makes him better than some of the other top end QB’s, is the fact he can get yards on the ground, too. He has managed to compile a total of 18 rushing scores in the past five seasons. That’s not bad for a guy who throws 35 plus each year and manages to stay healthy while on the move in and out of the pocket. Rodgers has no shortage of weapons to help keep him as an elite signal caller, so take him early and often in all your drafts. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=9pt]#3 Peyton Manning, Denver Broncos (Age 37) Bye: 9http://subscribers.footballguys.com/players/MannPe00-1.php[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9pt]4,700 passing yards, 34 TDs and 9 picks with nothing to speak of running the ball[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9pt]It’s Peyton “Freaking” Manning, when he sucks, then you start not drafting him as a Top 3 QB. Guess what, he does not suck. We can talk about the addition of Welker, but what for? A stud gets more weapons so he is still as elite as they get. He has only thrown for less than 4,000 yards twice in his long 15 year career, so that’s not a bad thing to have in your favor.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9pt]#4 Tom Brady, New England Patriots (Age 36) Bye: 10http://subscribers.footballguys.com/players/BradTo00-1.php[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9pt]4,550 passing yards, 30 TDs and 10 picks with 15 rushing yards and 2 rushing scores[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9pt]Let’s see, Tom lost Hernandez, Welker, Woodhead, Lloyd and may not have Gronk for the early part of the season, but studs are studs. Brady does have the newly signed Danny Amendola and not much else. He will produce, because he makes people around him better, but he could use a little help from the emergence of ANYONE else on the roster. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=9pt]#5 Matt Ryan, Atlanta Falcons (Age 28) Bye: 6http://subscribers.footballguys.com/players/RyanMa00-1.php[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9pt]4,400 passing yards, 31 TDs and 15 picks with 50 rushing yards and 1 rushing score[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9pt]Matt Ryan posted his career best stat line of 4,719 yards and 32 scores last year. That should only get better with the addition of Jackson and with Jones getting another year of experience under his belt. Team that with White and that gives you the best WR duo in the NFL. I like the fact that Ryan keeps his picks low, as he has never thrown more than 14 in a season, and anyone who has owned a QB who throws a ton of picks knows too many of those can cost weekly wins.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9pt]#6 Matthew Stafford, Detroit Lions (Age 25) Bye: 9http://subscribers.footballguys.com/players/StafMa00-1.php[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9pt]4,850 passing yards, 30 TDs and 16 picks with 40 rushing yards and 1 rushing score[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9pt]Now that injuries are a thing of a past for this kid, let’s talk about he is still an elite QB who has thrown for 10,003 yards and 61 TDs in his past 2 seasons. Stafford has the ultimate Weapon in Calvin (What more do you need?) and gained an elite pass catcher in Bush out of the back field to help bolster options. I believe the 20 passing TDs last year were the anomaly (Even though he ran for an additional 4) not the 41 the year prior. Stafford is a huge value play this year as he is being taken much later than[/SIZE][SIZE=9pt] people in his same tier. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=9pt]#7 Andrew Luck, Indianapolis Colts (Age 24) Bye: 8http://subscribers.footballguys.com/players/LuckAn00-1.php[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9pt]4,520 passing yards, 28 TDs and 18 picks with 260 rushing yards and 4 rushing scores[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9pt]If talent was based off looks, this guy would be the worst QB in the league, good thing it’s not though. In his rookie season he threw the ball 627 but only completed 339 passes. That percentage must come up in order for Luck to be a true elite QB. Luck has all the makings and a year experience under his belt, add to that the ability to get the rushing yards and scores when need be and he is a QB1 for years ahead. The only worry I see is former OC Bruce Arians becoming HC in Arizona as he is the one who loved to air it out. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=9pt]#8 Robert Griffin III, Washington Redskins (Age 23) Bye: 5 http://subscribers.footballguys.com/players/GrifRo00-1.php[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9pt]3,750 passing yards, 25 TDs and 13 picks with 580 rushing yards and 7 rushing scores[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9pt]I said it last year with ADP and I’ll say it this year with RG3, he will be back Week 1 and will have no limitations. This guy is a point producer in the air and on the ground. Dude ran for 833 yards and 7 scores in his rookie year while passing for over 3K. It’s no Cam rookie season production, but it’s darn good. He has a good OLine, solid RB and One option at WR, but he needs another passing option to step up for him to have a chance at elite passing production. His ground stats keep him in the Top 10, but the injury is not his issue, its passing options.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9pt]#9 Cam Newton, Carolina Panthers (Age 24) Bye: 4http://subscribers.footballguys.com/players/NewtCa00-1.php[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9pt]3,900 passing yards, 23 TDs and 17 picks with 600 rushing yards and 8 rushing scores[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9pt]Cam was not worth the spot we all drafted him to start the season, but he sure came on in the playoffs when everyone needed him. He managed 18 total scores while tossing just three picks in the last six weeks of the fantasy season. Newton lost his OC Rob Chudzinski who was a big part of the late season turnaround[/SIZE][SIZE=9pt] last year, and the lack of passing options still scares me. Cam should continue to produce, just do not draft him where you drafted him last year.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9pt]#10 Tony Romo, Dallas Cowboys (Age 33) Bye: 11http://subscribers.footballguys.com/players/RomoTo00-1.php[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9pt]4,255 passing yards, 30 TDs and 16 picks with 40 rushing yards and 1 rushing scores[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9pt]Romo benefited greatly from the emergence of Dez down the stretch which was enough to help overcome the early part of the season where the typical Romo showed his face. In the late season turnaround[/SIZE][SIZE=9pt] just like Cam had, he threw for 17 TDs while tossing just three picks in the last seven weeks of the fantasy season. During that stretch he managed six, 300 yard passing games. Romo needs a solid running game to help take off some of the pressure that causes his mistakes and disasters, so let’s all hope Murray stays healthy.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9pt]#11 Russell Wilson, Seattle Seahawks (Age 24) Bye: 12http://subscribers.footballguys.com/players/WilsRu00-1.php[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9pt]3,620 passing yards, 24 TDs and 12 picks with 510 rushing yards and 5 rushing scores[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9pt]This guy came out of nowhere, sure he knocked off Flynn in camp, but that was not a testament to his skill. He didn't[/SIZE][SIZE=9pt] show potential until week six against the Patriots when he threw for three scores. This spot in the list is based solely off potential as he gained a weapon in Harvin and will have gained a year of experience as well. Wilson has his legs to help him, and he needs them as he has yet to throw for a 300 yard game and three of his four rushing TDs came in week 15 against the Bills. This is still a run first team so expect a lot of Lynch still, but Wilson should benefit in the passing game from it.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9pt]#12 Philip Rivers, San Diego Chargers (Age 32) Bye: 8http://subscribers.footballguys.com/players/RivePh00-1.php[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9pt]4,200 passing yards, 28 TDs and 17 picks with nothing doing on the ground[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9pt]This guy fell from the earth pretty quick. Just a few seasons ago he was talked about as a Top 5 QB, but that changed. Last year, he suffered his worst stat line since 2007, and his pathetic offensive line didn't[/SIZE][SIZE=9pt] help. The new head coach in McCoy can only help out with the reemergence of Rivers this year. Expect him to bounce back to a low end #1 or top #2 QB this year. Players like Gates, Woodhead and a healthy WR core can do wonders in making that happen. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=9pt]#13 Ben Roethlisberger, Pittsburgh Steelers (Age 31) Bye: 5http://subscribers.footballguys.com/players/RoetBe00-1.php[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9pt]3,950 passing yards, 25 TDs and 13 picks with 125 rushing yards and 2 rushing scores[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9pt]Big Ben was on pace for a career year, even though he missed 3 games, he still tossed for 3,265 yards and 26 scores. He has few options as Brown is not a number one, Miller is recovering from his knee injury and he the Steelers will have a rookie carrying the ball this year. Big Ben’s talent and ability to make thing happen will keep him as a top end number two QB, but his chances of being an every week starter took a hit with the loss of a true number one receiver.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9pt]#14 Colin Kaepernick, San Francisco 49ers (Age 25) Bye: 9http://subscribers.footballguys.com/players/KaepCo00-1.php[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9pt]3,450 passing yards, 21 TDs and 15 picks with 480 rushing yards and 6 rushing scores[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9pt]I’m not his biggest fan. Kaeps is still very much unproven as a QB and he lost his number one option when Crabtree popped his Achilles. His upside is undeniable and his running ability is helpful enough to pick you up when you need some points, just ask Green Bay last year in the playoffs. Now that the league has a year to study tape, I think that could cause for some worries, but his playoff performance showed what he has in the tank. High upside, huge bust potential. Draft as a high #2 QB, not as your starter.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9pt]#15 Eli Manning, New York Giants (Age 32) Bye: 9http://subscribers.footballguys.com/players/MannEl00-1.php[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9pt]4,250 passing yards, 26 TDs and 16 picks with 35 rushing yards and 0 rushing score[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9pt]Last year Eli had a stretch of three games where he did not account for one single score. That is unacceptable from any starting fantasy QB, at least from one who is considered a weekly starter. If not for the 5 TDs in week 17, his stats would have been pathetic. He has two studly passing options and a new TE to go with a good backfield tandem. If he does not bounce back this year, his days of an every week starter are done, but I already think that anyways.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9pt]#16 Ryan Tannehill, Miami Dolphins (Age 25) Bye: 6http://subscribers.footballguys.com/players/TannRy00-1.php[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9pt]3,900 passing yards, 23 TDs and 16 picks with 180 rushing yards and 3 rushing scores[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9pt]Well, if anyone had their prayers answered for getting some weapons this offseason, it was Tanny. Mike Wallace, Dustin Keller and they even kept Hartline around to stay in the slot to help Tannehill progress. Last year they did not even have any receiving options and Bush was the lead runner, that’s not going to cut it that offense. Ryan should definitely improve on last year’s stats while also benefiting from a better defense that will allow him to not always have to play catch up. That should help keep the picks down. Look to draft this guy as your number two and we may be talking about him as a number one in the near future.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9pt]#17 Andy Dalton, Cincinnati Bengals (Age 25) Bye: 12http://subscribers.footballguys.com/players/DaltAn00-1.php[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9pt]3,820 passing yards, 25 TDs and 14 picks with 100 rushing yards and 1 rushing score[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9pt]It’s not like Dalton posted some bad numbers last year with 3,669 yards and 27 scores, but those seem to me like that is as good as he can get until his arm gets stronger. Even though he has Green and gained some other pass catching options in Eifert and Bernard, I just don’t his stat getting that much better if at all. Dalton didn't[/SIZE][SIZE=9pt] even finish any of the last 10 games with 300 yards or more. Not saying he [/SIZE]can't[SIZE=9pt] produce more in the future, but that’s not great when you have elite WR. Right now, Green is the one who makes things happen in Cincy, if you own Dalton, better hope Green can make more magic for him this year.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9pt]#18 Joe Flacco, Baltimore Ravens (Age 28) Bye: 8http://subscribers.footballguys.com/players/FlacJo00-1.php[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9pt]3,800 passing yards, 24 TDs and 12 picks with 35 rushing yards and 0 rushing scores[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9pt]People who are thinking Joe Flacco is a fantasy stud because he won a Super Bowl and was hot in the playoffs… STOP IT! He has never been anything special and in five years he has never thrown for more than 3,817 yards and 25 TDs in a single season. Flacco is way too spotty in production and lost Boldin, so that is not that helpful to doing better. He really needs to start being more consistent to take that next step in becoming a weekly starter. Take Flacco in drafts as a number two QB option, maybe Pitta can step up to fill the void of Boldin.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9pt]#19 Jay Cutler, Chicago Bears (Age 30) Bye 8http://subscribers.footballguys.com/players/CutlJa00-1.php[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9pt]3,755 passing yards, 23 TDs and 15 picks with 150 rushing yards and 1 score[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9pt]Speaking of inconsistency, that brings us to Jay Cutler. Let’s just be thankful he has Marshall, Forte and Bennett to help his numbers. Because he is not the play making QB that he thinks he is. He seems to get banged up a good bit over the past few years and threw for two touchdowns or less in five of his last six games while throwing for 300 just once all of last year. Sure he blows up here and there, but throwing up stud numbers once every 5 weeks does not get you drafted early. He has never thrown for more than 27 TDs and has not thrown for 20 in either of his last two seasons. Cutler is nothing more than a low end number two at this point.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9pt]#20 Matt Schaub, Houston Texans (Age 33) Bye: 8http://subscribers.footballguys.com/players/SchaMa00-1.php[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9pt]4,020 passing yards, 22 TDs and 14 picks with nothing on to speak of on the ground[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9pt]Houston has become a different team over the years. Since Wade Phillips joined the team and turned that Defense and team into one of the best, they have been able to feed Foster late instead of leaving it in Schaub’s hands. That is going to hurt any player’s value without getting some shot at garbage time scores. The thorn of not having a number two receiving option quickly changed due to drafting Hopkins. Schaub will still have to give Dre his, but Foster eats up a lot of TDs on the ground. Until things change, Schaub cannot be relied on to start on an every weekly basis with his inconsistency and low production.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9pt]Thoughts?[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9pt]ETA: Added links to FBG players page, just click on the name.[/SIZE]

Last edited by a moderator:
This is a pretty good list but I'll take some quibbles:

1, 2, 3 is fairly consensus, albeit with Brees over Rodgers. I think this is plausible with Brees and Payton wanting to go bonkers and give the finger to Goodell.

Number 4 is where you lose me. I just don't see Brady putting up those numbers if Gronk misses 6 games. He's shown the ability to be a game manager (3,900 and 4,300 yards in 2009 and 2010, possibly with McDaniels I don't recall). Most likely season for him to be under 4,500 since before they got Moss.

5, 6 - I MUCH prefer these guys to Brady. Ryan and Stafford are basically as safe as it gets given their offenses and weapons . Megatron or Julio/Roddy/Sjax compared to, Danny Amendola?

(7)*I think Cam should be here, probably ahead of Brady

(8) Next I think you should sub RG3 for Luck, and he is a STEAL at QB8. QB1 potential in the 5th/6th round is "upside."

*If Luck is next, before Kaep and Wilson, I think that's plausible too. Luck could be huge.

So something like:

1 - Brees

2 - Rodgers

3 - Manning

4 - Ryan

5 - Stafford

6 - Cam

7 - Brady

8 - RG3

9 - Luck? Kaep? Wilson?

Nice post. I dont agree with all lf it but nice work.

Biggest thing that sticks out to me is your ranking of Colin Kaepernick and projecting him to only rush for 480 yards over the course of a full season. I think that is WAY too low. He only started 7 games last season but rushed for 415 yards / 5 TDs and then another 264/3 TDs in three playoff games. I don't see any reason to believe his rushing yardage will drop from last year and if anything I could see it rising due to Crabtree being out. So while I expect Crabtree's injury to lower his passing yardage, I think he'll end up scrambling a few more times than he would have.

I'll go with:

235 YPG / 3,760 Passing Yards - 19 TDs

52 YPG / 832 Rushing Yards - 12 TDs (will give Cam a run)

12 interceptions

Total Fantasy Points = 371 / 23.18 PPG

So as you can see, I would obviously have Kaep MUCH higher than QB14. Due to his rushing totals along with a cannon arm in that offense, I'll plug Kaepernick into the top three with Rodgers/Brees.

1) Aaron Rodgers

2) Colin Kaepernick

3) Drew Brees

4) Robert Griffin lll

5) Peyton Manning

6) Cam Newton

7) Matthew Stafford

8) Andrew Luck

9) Matt Ryan

10) Russell Wilson

11) Tony Romo

12) Tom Brady

13) Josh Freeman

14) Andy Dalton

15) Phillip Rivers

16) Eli Manning

17) Sam Bradford

18) Jay Cutler

19) Carson Palmer

20) Joe Flacco

Biggest thing that sticks out to me is your ranking of Colin Kaepernick and projecting him to only rush for 480 yards over the course of a full season. I think that is WAY too low. He only started 7 games last season but rushed for 415 yards / 5 TDs and then another 264/3 TDs in three playoff games. I don't see any reason to believe his rushing yardage will drop from last year and if anything I could see it rising due to Crabtree being out. So while I expect Crabtree's injury to lower his passing yardage, I think he'll end up scrambling a few more times than he would have.

I'll go with:

12 interceptions

So as you can see, I would obviously have Kaep MUCH higher than QB14. Due to his rushing totals along with a cannon arm in that offense, I'll plug Kaepernick into the top three with Rodgers/Brees.

1) Aaron Rodgers

2) Colin Kaepernick

3) Drew Brees

4) Robert Griffin lll

5) Peyton Manning

6) Cam Newton

7) Matthew Stafford

8) Andrew Luck

9) Matt Ryan

10) Russell Wilson

11) Tony Romo

12) Tom Brady

13) Josh Freeman

14) Andy Dalton

15) Phillip Rivers

16) Eli Manning

17) Sam Bradford

18) Jay Cutler

19) Carson Palmer

20) Joe Flacco
12 Rushing TDs even though most teams will put 8 in the box on the reg and not to mention now teams have tape on him? Thats an average of 10 more points per game then he averaged last year, and he does not have a #1 passing option. That read option will not work FOR LONG in the NFL, remember when everyone thought the Wildcat would last? I do like how the defense in the NFC west stack up too. Seattle Arizona and St. Louis all got better, so this is not the same weak division it's has been recently.

I stick with my guns on where I rank Kaeps, but thats the awesomeness of this, we get to discuss it all. Thanks for appreciating the work, too.

thanks for starting the discussion, OP.. :thumbup:

I have some disagreement with what you're saying, in particular:

Matthew Stafford - in only one season since turning pro has he completed more than 60% of his passes, and/or thrown for more than 20TD..I'm betting it doesn't happen again..

he's a yardage compiler without the TDs, and he's also a turnover machine..

Stafford attempted 727 passes last year, 663 in 2011...it's risky/foolish to bet that he can withstand another 650+ season without getting hurt ( sacked 93 times in his career)..

Brady is ranked too high , he is going to suffer a significant drop in Tds and yardage, finishing somewhere around 4000/28 - which is pretty much what you can get from Carson Palmer as a late round draft pick..

you came down on Cam Newton for losing OC Chudzinski,but gave a pass to Andrew Luck for losing Bruce Arains by still ranking him #7?! Arians' loss will be felt much more than Cam losing Chudzinski. Just go ask Big Ben how it feels..

Philip Rivers at 12, Romo at 10 are way off the mark..Romo is a mainstay as a top 7 QB, Dallas might not win a lot of games,but he'll always be that 4000-4500 yard, 30+ td guy..

Rivers is set to have a big bounce back season with the new coaching staff..

Rg3 won't rush for 500+ yards in 2013, he'll get killed..he is too slim to handle the hits he'll take as a scrambling QB..it takes a toll..

my list would be something like:

1. Brees

2. Rodgers

3. Ryan

4. Peyton Manning

5. Romo

6. Brady

7. Rivers

8. Carson Palmer - I'm buying it, Arians will have Palmer playing like an All-Pro..

9. Ben Roethlisberger

10. Cam Newton

11. KAp

12. Dalton - Eifert is a nice addition

13. Eli Manning - but I'm not convinced he hasn't lost his fastball - his noodle arm from last season scares me..

14. Luck

15. RG3 - not convinced he can make it thru a full 16-game schedule, and won't take on chance on him, let someone else draft him..

16.Schaub - good chance he'll hit 4000/25 Tds..solid pick as the 17th best QB..

17. Wilson

18. Stafford - just can't buy into the hype..had one great season...if not for the yardage copiling,he would be an epic bust..

19. Sam Bradford

20. Flacco

I think this is plausible with Brees and Payton wanting to go bonkers and give the finger to Goodell.
It's too bad that Brees and Payton don't "want to go bonkers" every year and aren't motivated to put up stats/wins. Imagine if they had something to play for every season. All they've had so far as motivation was the Lombardi Trophy...now they can give the finger to Goodell! :rolleyes:

Great content in the OP. I will have to join the chorus though that Kaep feels too low. His upside is probably Vick's ridiculous year a few years back. The possibility of that alone should keep him in the top 10 IMO.

Rivers might have a "healthy" WR corps now, but I don't think health was their only problem. I just don't think it's a good group.

Overall though, awesome writeups. Good info about Eli.

I think everyone has Flacco a bit too low. I don't think he's going to set the world on fire or anything, but he finished the season (and post season, obviously) very strong. Last year (in my league, weeks 1-16), he was #12. The year before, same time frame, he was also #12. The year before, same time frame, he was yet again #12. The year before, same time frame, ok - he didn't do it 4 years in a row, but he was #13.

He's the model of consistency for a #2 QB, won't destroy your team if your #1 goes down - and is coming off a super bowl winning season. I can't see him regressing by that much after so many years of dead on consistency. He'll yet again finish as a top 15 QB this season.

thanks for starting the discussion, OP.. :thumbup:

I have some disagreement with what you're saying, in particular:

Matthew Stafford - in only one season since turning pro has he completed more than 60% of his passes, and/or thrown for more than 20TD..I'm betting it doesn't happen again..

he's a yardage compiler without the TDs, and he's also a turnover machine..

Stafford attempted 727 passes last year, 663 in 2011...it's risky/foolish to bet that he can withstand another 650+ season without getting hurt ( sacked 93 times in his career)..

Brady is ranked too high , he is going to suffer a significant drop in Tds and yardage, finishing somewhere around 4000/28 - which is pretty much what you can get from Carson Palmer as a late round draft pick..

you came down on Cam Newton for losing OC Chudzinski,but gave a pass to Andrew Luck for losing Bruce Arains by still ranking him #7?! Arians' loss will be felt much more than Cam losing Chudzinski. Just go ask Big Ben how it feels..

Philip Rivers at 12, Romo at 10 are way off the mark..Romo is a mainstay as a top 7 QB, Dallas might not win a lot of games,but he'll always be that 4000-4500 yard, 30+ td guy..

Rivers is set to have a big bounce back season with the new coaching staff..

Rg3 won't rush for 500+ yards in 2013, he'll get killed..he is too slim to handle the hits he'll take as a scrambling QB..it takes a toll..

my list would be something like:

1. Brees

2. Rodgers

3. Ryan

4. Peyton Manning

5. Romo

6. Brady

7. Rivers

8. Carson Palmer - I'm buying it, Arians will have Palmer playing like an All-Pro..

9. Ben Roethlisberger

10. Cam Newton

11. KAp

12. Dalton - Eifert is a nice addition

13. Eli Manning - but I'm not convinced he hasn't lost his fastball - his noodle arm from last season scares me..

14. Luck

15. RG3 - not convinced he can make it thru a full 16-game schedule, and won't take on chance on him, let someone else draft him..

16.Schaub - good chance he'll hit 4000/25 Tds..solid pick as the 17th best QB..

17. Wilson

18. Stafford - just can't buy into the hype..had one great season...if not for the yardage copiling,he would be an epic bust..

19. Sam Bradford

20. Flacco
Love the insight, but Palmer at 8 and Stafford at 18 is shocking.

Some have Stafford lower then my prediction but 18? Hmmm, to each his own I guess. Palmer ahead of Newton, Luck and RG3?

I feel safe saying you are buying that hype and in the minority for sure.

Love the discussion though.

I think this is plausible with Brees and Payton wanting to go bonkers and give the finger to Goodell.
It's too bad that Brees and Payton don't "want to go bonkers" every year and aren't motivated to put up stats/wins. Imagine if they had something to play for every season. All they've had so far as motivation was the Lombardi Trophy...now they can give the finger to Goodell! :rolleyes:
Although I don't appreciate you condescension, I will respond. There are other plausible reasons to rank Brees ahead of Rodgers. The Saints still have all the offensive weapons they've had over the past few years (Colston, Graham, Sproles, Lance Moore) and Rodgers has not only lost his WR1, but the Packers have clearly emphasized the RB position in the draft and thus might run a more balanced offense.

As to my comment about Payton, you should assume that he spent the offseason drawing up offensive plays for his team. He's got 18 months of trick plays and clever formations on tap. Given that Brees's floor was basically 5,000 yards over the past few years, you should start there with his projections.

And yes, I still believe that Payton has an extra chip on his shoulders. Your dismissal of his motivation is curious, given that many players have exhibited the same behavior (e.g. MJD wanting to be number 32 to remind himself that 32 teams passed on him in the first round.) The lombardi is motivation for every player and coach in the league. Some players or coaches simply have extra motivation, not to mention a wealth of play designs by an offensive genius who spent the last season stewing mad over his suspension.

Regardless, Brees and Rodgers are basically 1a and 1b and debating which is better is not that important.

I think any dismissal of Luck is done at one's own peril. Yes, losing Arians hurts but he's getting his former Stanford OC instead. Pep will help provide some continuity for Luck and, couple that with an oustanding rookie year in the books, I think Luck moves into the top 5. He's not going to unseat Brees/Manning/Rodgers yet at the top but he can take steps to bridge the gap.

I think any dismissal of Luck is done at one's own peril. Yes, losing Arians hurts but he's getting his former Stanford OC instead. Pep will help provide some continuity for Luck and, couple that with an oustanding rookie year in the books, I think Luck moves into the top 5. He's not going to unseat Brees/Manning/Rodgers yet at the top but he can take steps to bridge the gap.
For some reason he gives me a Stephen Strasburg feeling. I know he's going to be great but I just dont think he can match the hype this year.

For some reason he gives me a Stephen Strasburg feeling. I know he's going to be great but I just dont think he can match the hype this year.
I agree mostly. This is why he's not cracking the top 3. Moving from 7 to say 5 is pretty attainable. I'm not sure that Brady has lock on the top 5 given the change there, for example. Luck just needs to get a little bit better. I think the conditions are there for him to do that.

ETA - I think the big thing fo rhim will be to cut down on the INTs.

Great list and thanks for posting. A few thoughts:

Brady: I agree with a few others that I don't see the skill players in NE supporting a top five finish for Brady. Brady has lost top four of his top five targets with the lone holdover potentially missing early action. Brady is so good that he'll make guys like Amendola relevant, but it's hard to see him finishing in the top five with an almost entirely new cast to throw to.

Kaep: I like where you've slotted him based on his mid range, but I'd take him up a few notches based on his upside. To me, that;s the danger of basing a ranking on projections. There's some issues about him as a passer, but it's not his arm strength nor the quality of his passes. I'd move him up to nine on his upside.

You got your 1st five-picks right. Your whole list should look something like this:

1.) Drew Brees
2.) Aaron Rodgers
3.) Peyton Manning
4.) Tom Brady
5.) Matt Ryan
6.) RG3
7.) Cam Newton
8.) Colin Kaepernick
8.) Matt Stafford
9.) Carson Palmer
10.) Tony Romo
10.) Andrew Luck
11.) Russell Wilson
12.) Eli Manning
13.) Matt Schaub
14.) Michael Vick
15.) Andy Dalton
16.) Philip Rivers

Nice post and agree with a lot of what is being said across the thread. Just a couple of thoughts:

[SIZE=9pt]#2 Aaron Rodgers, Green Bay Packers (Age 30) Bye: 4 http://subscribers.footballguys.com/players/RodgAa00-1.php[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9pt]4,720 passing yards, 38 TDs and 8 picks with 280 rushing yards and 3 rushing scores[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9pt]ARod just got paid, and will show he is well more than worth it. What makes him better than some of the other top end QB’s, is the fact he can get yards on the ground, too. He has managed to compile a total of 18 rushing scores in the past five seasons. That’s not bad for a guy who throws 35 plus each year and manages to stay healthy while on the move in and out of the pocket. Rodgers has no shortage of weapons to help keep him as an elite signal caller, so take him early and often in all your drafts. [/SIZE]
This may be the worst group Rodgers is entering the season with in terms of receiving options, or at least the least experienced. James Jones and Cobb with Finley, that feels like not such an elite group depending on whether Finley shows up. Granted Jennings was a non-factor last year, still, having a pair of rookies in the backfield worries me too. This may be the year Rodgers falls out of top 3, I like Ryan, Peyton 2.0 or a healthy RG3 to get in that elite group. I guess I can say the same for Brees, but I'm banking on Brees so call it bias. I can't discount your point though, that just like last year Rodgers will make up any receiver problems (to his stats) with his running ability.

[SIZE=9pt]#20 Matt Schaub, Houston Texans (Age 33) Bye: 8http://subscribers.footballguys.com/players/SchaMa00-1.php[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9pt]4,020 passing yards, 22 TDs and 14 picks with nothing on to speak of on the ground[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9pt]Houston has become a different team over the years. Since Wade Phillips joined the team and turned that Defense and team into one of the best, they have been able to feed Foster late instead of leaving it in Schaub’s hands. That is going to hurt any player’s value without getting some shot at garbage time scores. The thorn of not having a number two receiving option quickly changed due to drafting Hopkins. Schaub will still have to give Dre his, but Foster eats up a lot of TDs on the ground. Until things change, Schaub cannot be relied on to start on an every weekly basis with his inconsistency and low production.[/SIZE]
Schaub made a lot of mental errors last year imo, assuming he gets out of that funk he'll outperform the likes of Cutler and Dalton. This rank of 20 feels very low to me, but now that I look at your list there are so many young talents on here who will only get better that I'm not sure how high I would go with this guy anymore.

Eminence said:
You got your 1st five-picks right. Your whole list should look something like this:

1.) Drew Brees

2.) Aaron Rodgers

3.) Peyton Manning

4.) Tom Brady

5.) Matt Ryan

6.) RG3

7.) Cam Newton

8.) Colin Kaepernick

8.) Matt Stafford

9.) Carson Palmer

10.) Tony Romo

10.) Andrew Luck

11.) Russell Wilson

12.) Eli Manning

13.) Matt Schaub

14.) Michael Vick

15.) Andy Dalton

16.) Philip Rivers
Amazing a guy can go from winning a super bowl to not even being top 16 redraft the following year. He's been top 13 for 4 straight years.

Eminence said:

1.) Drew Brees

2.) Aaron Rodgers

3.) Peyton Manning

4.) Tom Brady

5.) Matt Ryan

6.) RG3

7.) Cam Newton

8.) Colin Kaepernick

8.) Matt Stafford

9.) Carson Palmer

10.) Tony Romo

10.) Andrew Luck

11.) Russell Wilson

12.) Eli Manning

13.) Matt Schaub

14.) Michael Vick

15.) Andy Dalton

16.) Philip Rivers
Amazing a guy can go from winning a super bowl to not even being top 16 redraft the following year. He's been top 13 for 4 straight years.
It is, but winning super bowls doesn't make you a ff stud. go ahead and argue for him over these guys, he's on the same tier imo as eli, Shaub, Dalton and rivers.

Eminence said:

1.) Drew Brees

2.) Aaron Rodgers

3.) Peyton Manning

4.) Tom Brady

5.) Matt Ryan

6.) RG3

7.) Cam Newton

8.) Colin Kaepernick

8.) Matt Stafford

9.) Carson Palmer

10.) Tony Romo

10.) Andrew Luck

11.) Russell Wilson

12.) Eli Manning

13.) Matt Schaub

14.) Michael Vick

15.) Andy Dalton

16.) Philip Rivers
It is, but winning super bowls doesn't make you a ff stud. go ahead and argue for him over these guys, he's on the same tier imo as eli, Shaub, Dalton and rivers.
This is false, unless you are playing with some weird scoring. Flacco has never even sniffed 4000 yards. last year he went for 3817, prior to that his best was 3622. And that is in a 5 year career without missing any games. not a lot of upside. he wouldn't be in my top 20.

You would absolutely be insane if you draft RG3 as your #1 qb in round 3 (or earlier) as your data suggests.
I don't think so. You draft who you think is gonna be good. I see no way RG3 doesn't tear it up this year. Sounds like he's going to have an Adrian Peterson style comeback. The guy's arm is just as good as his legs, imo.

#### it, RG3 is cat's meow. If anything, this injury motivates him.

I would be worried taking Brees 1st given that his left tackle left the building and he wasn't really replaced.

Eminence said:

1.) Drew Brees

2.) Aaron Rodgers

3.) Peyton Manning

4.) Tom Brady

5.) Matt Ryan

6.) RG3

7.) Cam Newton

8.) Colin Kaepernick

8.) Matt Stafford

9.) Carson Palmer

10.) Tony Romo

10.) Andrew Luck

11.) Russell Wilson

12.) Eli Manning

13.) Matt Schaub

14.) Michael Vick

15.) Andy Dalton

16.) Philip Rivers
This is false, unless you are playing with some weird scoring. Flacco has never even sniffed 4000 yards. last year he went for 3817, prior to that his best was 3622. And that is in a 5 year career without missing any games. not a lot of upside. he wouldn't be in my top 20.
Pretty sure this guy is a ravens fan. Who else would want Flacco as their weekly starter?

Thanks for the comments and thoughts, love the discussion. I appreciate when people read these things as they take A LOT of work.

Ill make a case for Matt Ryan at #3 behind Brees and Rodgers.

#1 SJax at RB is a significant upgrade over Turner in the passing game.

#2 I don't think the defense is as good as they were last year (at this point - maybe they sign someone) so I expect more points are needed

#3 Julio progressing another year, Roddy still at the top of his game, and a last hurrah for Gonzalez

I'd easily take him over Brady and feel comfortable taking him over Manning.

Although I don't appreciate you condescension, I will respond. There are other plausible reasons to rank Brees ahead of Rodgers. The Saints still have all the offensive weapons they've had over the past few years (Colston, Graham, Sproles, Lance Moore) and Rodgers has not only lost his WR1, but the Packers have clearly emphasized the RB position in the draft and thus might run a more balanced offense.

As to my comment about Payton, you should assume that he spent the offseason drawing up offensive plays for his team. He's got 18 months of trick plays and clever formations on tap. Given that Brees's floor was basically 5,000 yards over the past few years, you should start there with his projections.

And yes, I still believe that Payton has an extra chip on his shoulders. Your dismissal of his motivation is curious, given that many players have exhibited the same behavior (e.g. MJD wanting to be number 32 to remind himself that 32 teams passed on him in the first round.) The lombardi is motivation for every player and coach in the league. Some players or coaches simply have extra motivation, not to mention a wealth of play designs by an offensive genius who spent the last season stewing mad over his suspension.

Regardless, Brees and Rodgers are basically 1a and 1b and debating which is better is not that important.
Yes, there are plausible reasons to take Brees ahead of Rodgers (I never said there wasn't). None of which have to do with Brees and Payton wanting to "give Goodell the finger". Now you're going back and revising what you said before, so your response is basically a strawman argument/backpedal.

Pretty sure this guy is a ravens fan. Who else would want Flacco as their weekly starter?
Only a kinda Ravens fan. I'm not advocating Flacco as a starter. I'm just saying he's possibly the most reliable backup QB in the game. If you get a stud QB in the first few rounds in a league with fewer than 14 teams Flacco would make a great #2 and wouldn't be a hindrance if your starter were to miss multiple games.

Here are my current rankings and projections, according to a 1 pt/25 passing yards, 4 pts per passingTD, 1 pt/10 yds rushing, 6 pts per rushing TD, -2 for Int, -1 for fumbles lost.

1) Rodgers 348 pts (4700/36/12, 260/3)

2) Brees 322 pts (5000/37/16, 40/1)

3) P Manning 321 pts (4800/37/12, 30/0)

4) Newton 318 pts (3650/22/15, 700/8)

5) Ryan 304 pts (4600/33/14, 120/1)

6) Kaepernick 293 pts (3350/21/14, 625/7)

7) Wilson 291 pts (3450/26/12, 500/4)

8) Stafford 285 pts (4725/28/18, 110/2)

9) Brady 281 pts (4300/29/12, 60/2)

10) Romo 278 pts (4600/30/17, 60/1)

11) RGII 277 pts (3400/21/12, 500/5)

12) Luck 277 pts (4100/26/16, 225/3)

13) Vick 256 pts (3700/21/14, 425/3)

14) Roethlisberger 254 pts (4000/25/13, 100/2)

15) Dalton 248 pts (3750/26/16, 130/2)

16) E Manning 239 pts (4025/27/16, 40/0)

17) Freeman 232 pts (3800/24/18, 160/1)

18) Rivers 230 pts (3950/26/16, 40/1)

19) Schaub 229 pts (3900/26/12, 50/0)

20) Bradford 228 pts (3800/23/14, 100/1)

If TD passes were 6 pts, my rankings would be

Rodgers, Brees, P Manning, Ryan, Newton, Wilson, Stafford, Brady, Romo, Kaepernick, Luck, RGIII, Dalton, Roethlisberger, Vick, E Manning, Rivers, Freeman, Schaub, Bradford. Only Kaepernick would have a material different ranking (from 6 to 10), otherwise changing the TD pass doesn't affect my rankings.

I think everyone has Flacco a bit too low. I don't think he's going to set the world on fire or anything, but he finished the season (and post season, obviously) very strong. Last year (in my league, weeks 1-16), he was #12. The year before, same time frame, he was also #12. The year before, same time frame, he was yet again #12. The year before, same time frame, ok - he didn't do it 4 years in a row, but he was #13.

He's the model of consistency for a #2 QB, won't destroy your team if your #1 goes down - and is coming off a super bowl winning season. I can't see him regressing by that much after so many years of dead on consistency. He'll yet again finish as a top 15 QB this season.
I don't. I have him at QB21. I think Boldin is a big loss to the offense. BAL has a stud RB in Ray Rice and another very good RB in Benard Pierce. I think BAL is going to run the ball......a lot. Flacco's WR/TE are below average and unproven. Torrey Smith isn't proven as a WR1. Pitta is a good TE but not a great one.

And the key is.....Flacco lacks upside. I can't see any scenario where Flacco finishes in the top 10 QBs, which will require over 4000 yards and 27+ TDs. As my QB2 I want upside. Best Flacco can do IMO is about QB13 or QB14.

I'll go with:

12 interceptions

1) Aaron Rodgers

2) Colin Kaepernick

3) Drew Brees

4) Robert Griffin lll

5) Peyton Manning

6) Cam Newton

7) Matthew Stafford

8) Andrew Luck

9) Matt Ryan

10) Russell Wilson

11) Tony Romo

12) Tom Brady

13) Josh Freeman

14) Andy Dalton

15) Phillip Rivers

16) Eli Manning

17) Sam Bradford

18) Jay Cutler

19) Carson Palmer

20) Joe Flacco
12 Rushing TDs even though most teams will put 8 in the box on the reg and not to mention now teams have tape on him? Thats an average of 10 more points per game then he averaged last year, and he does not have a #1 passing option. That read option will not work FOR LONG in the NFL, remember when everyone thought the Wildcat would last? I do like how the defense in the NFC west stack up too. Seattle Arizona and St. Louis all got better, so this is not the same weak division it's has been recently.

I stick with my guns on where I rank Kaeps, but thats the awesomeness of this, we get to discuss it all. Thanks for appreciating the work, too.
You have Kaepernick WAY too low, but I agree projecting 12 rushing TDs is insane. He's a lock for 40 yds rushing a game, though, so I think 480 yds that you have for him is low.

Nice post and agree with a lot of what is being said across the thread. Just a couple of thoughts:

This may be the worst group Rodgers is entering the season with in terms of receiving options, or at least the least experienced. James Jones and Cobb with Finley, that feels like not such an elite group depending on whether Finley shows up. Granted Jennings was a non-factor last year, still, having a pair of rookies in the backfield worries me too. This may be the year Rodgers falls out of top 3, I like Ryan, Peyton 2.0 or a healthy RG3 to get in that elite group. I guess I can say the same for Brees, but I'm banking on Brees so call it bias. I can't discount your point though, that just like last year Rodgers will make up any receiver problems (to his stats) with his running ability.
Did Jordy Nelson get released?

How drastically do people expect SF's offense to change?
How different does it need to be for Kaep to have value? He doesn't really need to improve upon last year to be a big time FF contributor.. Bringing his playoff numbers into the picture, his ppg over 11 games would have ranked him as QB5. (1pt/25pass, 6pts for all TD, 1 pt/10 rush, -2/INT). Of course, there are flaws with this type of analysis, but the point is, in a faily conservative offense, Kaep put up some very strong numbers. Keep in mind that the last off-season, TC and Pre-season all centered on Smith as the starting QB, which dictated a more conservative style. Give Roman and Harbaugh a full off season, TC and PS to devise plays, gameplans, and offensive philisophies around Kaep, and I would expect that we will see a more open offense, which is one reason people talk about his upside.

How different does it need to be for Kaep to have value? He doesn't really need to improve upon last year to be a big time FF contributor.. Bringing his playoff numbers into the picture, his ppg over 11 games would have ranked him as QB5. (1pt/25pass, 6pts for all TD, 1 pt/10 rush, -2/INT). Of course, there are flaws with this type of analysis, but the point is, in a faily conservative offense, Kaep put up some very strong numbers. Keep in mind that the last off-season, TC and Pre-season all centered on Smith as the starting QB, which dictated a more conservative style. Give Roman and Harbaugh a full off season, TC and PS to devise plays, gameplans, and offensive philisophies around Kaep, and I would expect that we will see a more open offense, which is one reason people talk about his upside.
Maybe its more league specific or something. Since he became the starter he averaged 22.5ppg (1 point every 20 yards- 6 for TD's- 1 point every 10 rushing negative points for fumbles and picks) in the regular season which would have made him QB11 in my league and .01 points ahead of Stafford. SF just seems like they want to run the ball, but thats just the impression I get and more personal opinion. His trajectory seems a little unrealistc to me. But it's JMO.

No Crabtree hurts, for starters. Boldin over the course of a full season? Tough to call but he's not expected to put up the sick production he offered on the playoff run. The rest of the WR corps are unproven and Davis was mostly ignored by Kaepernick. I can understand the enthusiasm that folks have for Kaep based on what was shown but there are reasons to be wary.

BroadwayG said:

Did Jordy Nelson get released?
:cool: I actually caught that yesterday after I posted it but was too lazy to edit the post. It's really Nelson and Jones plus Cobb in the slot or wherever they put him. Even with Nelson in the mix I still stand by the concern, none of these guys stand out to me as a stud-WR-to-be and the only QB off the top of my head who succeeded at this level fantasy wise with par receivers has been Brady. By this level I mean the elite top 3-5 guys. I just looked at the stats again and I'm surprised how well Rodgers played last year with basically the same group, without looking at the stats I thought Brady or Manning was ahead of him to end the regular season. Both actually had more passing yards than Rodgers, but not nearly as many TDs.

My top 12:

Manning, P.

Rodgers

Newton

Brees

Ryan

Luck

Romo

RGIII

Smith, Alex

Kaepernick

Rothlisberger, Ben

Stafford

Honorable Mention:

Brady, Tom

Freeman

RG3, Wilson, Newton and Kaep have to get bumps for heir legs/ceilings. I'm not a Newton/Kaep fan but I'd be a littleigher for fantasy. Nice list

Newton has been top 5 in each of his first two years. I see no reason for that to change. I'd slot him in above Brady.

My top 12:

Manning, P.

Rodgers

Newton

Brees

Ryan

Luck

Romo

RGIII

Smith, Alex

Kaepernick

Rothlisberger, Ben

Stafford

Honorable Mention:

Brady, Tom

Freeman

No Wilson?
I don't think he will get enough opportunities to prevail. I honestly see their defense better this year. I also see them getting leads and running out the clock.If he can get into enough shootouts, then maybe. I just don't see it. I'm a huge believer in their defense. I am probably wrong. :)

Brady is ranked too high , he is going to suffer a significant drop in Tds and yardage, finishing somewhere around 4000/28 - which is pretty much what you can get from Carson Palmer as a late round draft pick.

Have you factored in the ability of the Patiots line to pass protect? I wonder if Carson Palmer will even make it through pre-season.

1.) Drew Brees

2.) Aaron Rodgers

3.) Peyton Manning

4.) Tom Brady

5.) Matt Ryan

6.) RG3

7.) Cam Newton

8.) Colin Kaepernick

8.) Matt Stafford

9.) Carson Palmer

10.) Tony Romo

10.) Andrew Luck

11.) Russell Wilson

12.) Eli Manning

13.) Matt Schaub

14.) Michael Vick

15.) Andy Dalton

16.) Philip Rivers
Was gonna say the same thing. I mean if you put in Flacco, who do you take out? Maybe you could argue Vick, but if Vick stays healthy I like him more than Flacco.

Brady is ranked too high , he is going to suffer a significant drop in Tds and yardage, finishing somewhere around 4000/28 - which is pretty much what you can get from Carson Palmer as a late round draft pick.

Have you factored in the ability of the Patiots line to pass protect? I wonder if Carson Palmer will even make it through pre-season.
I do chuckle at the fact that so many discount brady because he lost talent. He is one heck of an elite QB, to say with such certainty that he will be so reduced as a QB is strange. I remember, just last year, people were counting out Studs like ADP, Charles and even Manning. So now you just are for sure counting out Brady. Those mistakes cost people some fantasy seasons.

I think too many people are sleeping on Ryan Tannehill this year. Here is what I wrote about him on a different site:

Ryan Tannehill – Miami’s offense is an up-and-coming threat in the NFL. Already blessed with RB Lamar Miller and WR Brian Hartline, they spent the offseason getting new toys: All-pro WRMike Wallace and jets castoff TE Dustin Keller. All of these threats on the offensive side of the ball, plus another year under an NFL offense for Tannehill means the ceiling is VERY high.

Users who are viewing this thread