What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

kenbrell thompkins (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
LOL, good owners realize STATS are all that matter in fantasy. Targets do not get you points, the fact this has to be explained is foolish.

James Jones 64 catches on 98 Targets and led the league in TDs with 14.

Larry Fitzgerald had 71 catches on 156 targets and 4 scores.

But, please tell me more about targets while your next argument to make your case will be.... Well the QBs are different. Blah Blah Blah.

Point is targets dont got get you points, production does. Doesn't matter who your QB is, but POINTS, not targets, not looks, just POINTS win you games!
Here's a test for you.

So you got 2 guys on waivers and you need to grab one of them.

One guy goes 4-75 on 14 targets, and the other goes 4-75 on 6 targets. Who are you picking up?

I'm taking the guy with the most targets.

Last edited by a moderator:
LOL, good owners realize STATS are all that matter in fantasy. Targets do not get you points, the fact this has to be explained is foolish.

But, please tell me more about targets while your next argument to make your case will be.... Well the QBs are different. Blah Blah Blah.

Point is targets dont got get you points, production does. Doesn't matter who your QB is, but POINTS, not targets, not looks, just POINTS win you games!
Here's a test for you.

One guy goes 4-75 on 14 targets, and the other goes 4-75 on 6 targets. Who are you picking up?
Im going to think long and hard about what the 6 target guy might look like with 14 targets next week and vice versa.

Here's a test for you.

Im going to think long and hard about what the 6 target guy might look like with 14 targets next week and vice versa.
Well of course, but without that, who would you choose? You are given no info but the target numbers. Certainly no one takes 6 targets in JAX vs 14 targets in NE.

Here's a test for you.

Well of course, but without that, who would you choose? You are given no info but the target numbers. Certainly no one takes 6 targets in JAX vs 14 targets in NE.
What does this have to do with fantasy football? There is always more information. Lies, damned lies, and statistics... without context the stats are irrelevant, if not dangerous.

Here's a test for you.

What does this have to do with fantasy football? There is always more information. Lies, damned lies, and statistics... without context the stats are irrelevant, if not dangerous.
This is just a pissing match

Solid week from Thompkins coming this week IMO.

I can see him breaking 100 yards on a half-dozen+ receptions.

I just finally had a chance to watch game on Rewind and the 4 of 14 targets is deceptive. A lot of those were bad Brady passes. Who is to say if Thompkins was at fault, but Brady was a little off all game so I don't think it's all on Thompkins. There was maybe one sideline catch he could have done a better job, but that end zone pass was a bad Brady throw. Overall for an UDFA starting his first game on the road, this was a C effort, no more no less.

He's still very much a hold and given Pats injury situation alone the arrow is pointing up. You can't fault him if the hype surrounding him got a little out of control. I'm still very happy with him as my WR4.
I'm not denying your analysis of what you saw but then the obvious question is why didn't amendola and Edelman suffer if it was mostly Brady passing poorly? Why did they convert on more of their targets? Is it that Brady only passed poorly to KT?

I'm not being sarcastic I didn't watch the whole game. What did you see?
Good counter, and I would say it's a matter of grapefruits and oranges. Those inside Welker routes that Edelman & Amendola are running Brady can complete in his sleep. Hit the Tiny White in the Middle of the Field. Done.

Thompkins on the other hand is running the outside routes that frankly Brady had trouble getting in sync with Lloyd on. And really, with every outside WR not named Randy Moss.

I'm a big Pats fan and was unable to see the game live and was disheartened when I read about Thompkins "struggles." But when I finally saw it again I was not alarmed or disappointed by Thompkins performance. Yes he looked a little overwhelmed but there was never any glaringly mis-run route or terrible dropped pass. It's a matter of Brady getting comfort level with him and his route tree and vice versa. I think by mid-season Thompkins will be a decent WR2 option.

I just finally had a chance to watch game on Rewind and the 4 of 14 targets is deceptive. A lot of those were bad Brady passes. Who is to say if Thompkins was at fault, but Brady was a little off all game so I don't think it's all on Thompkins. There was maybe one sideline catch he could have done a better job, but that end zone pass was a bad Brady throw. Overall for an UDFA starting his first game on the road, this was a C effort, no more no less.

He's still very much a hold and given Pats injury situation alone the arrow is pointing up. You can't fault him if the hype surrounding him got a little out of control. I'm still very happy with him as my WR4.
I'm not denying your analysis of what you saw but then the obvious question is why didn't amendola and Edelman suffer if it was mostly Brady passing poorly? Why did they convert on more of their targets? Is it that Brady only passed poorly to KT?I'm not being sarcastic I didn't watch the whole game. What did you see?
Good counter, and I would say it's a matter of grapefruits and oranges. Those inside Welker routes that Edelman & Amendola are running Brady can complete in his sleep. Hit the Tiny White in the Middle of the Field. Done.

Thompkins on the other hand is running the outside routes that frankly Brady had trouble getting in sync with Lloyd on. And really, with every outside WR not named Randy Moss.

I'm a big Pats fan and was unable to see the game live and was disheartened when I read about Thompkins "struggles." But when I finally saw it again I was not alarmed or disappointed by Thompkins performance. Yes he looked a little overwhelmed but there was never any glaringly mis-run route or terrible dropped pass. It's a matter of Brady getting comfort level with him and his route tree and vice versa. I think by mid-season Thompkins will be a decent WR2 option.
That is helpful analysis thanks Tom

Fat Nick said:
Phenix said:
Kenny Powers said:
haterade said:
Gotta love the opportunity here going forward. Strong buy imho.
All I know is after 14 targets and a dinged Amendola, Im not dropping him.
Yes but anything short of 7/80/1 and he will be dropped in all redrafts I own him regardless if he gets 14 targets a game.

Targets don't get you points, production does. I rather have 5 targets for 4 catches and a score then 14 targets for 4 catches and no TDs.
IMO, you're missing the point on targets. No guy is going to catch 29% of passes thrown to him all season long. He wouldn't be in the league long if that was the case and it was his fault. Targets are representative of a player's involvement level in the offense. To me (playing in a PPR league), targets are the SINGLE most important stat I look at when deciding who to draft and who to pick up. Targets = catches, you need catches to get yards and TD's. Targets might not ALWAYS mean a catch, but you can't even have a chance without a target.

Do you believe the Pat's offense will be at least above average productive? If so, Thompkins getting 14 targets is a big deal. Of course you'd rather have 5tgts/4rec/1TD vs. 14tgts/4rec/0TD unless you play in a PPTarget league (?). But the point is, the guy who gets 14 targets will outscore the guy who gets 5 probably 75% of the time due to sheer involvement in the offense.

My final point is a hypothetical...are you more or less worried next week if Thompkins gets 20 targets and ends up with 5 catches for 75 yards, or if he gets 1 target, 1 catch, 75 yards and a TD? For me, I'd still rather see him have a high involvement in the offense and get his 20 targets.

If his targets fall drastically this week, WITH Amendola and Vereen out, I'm worried.
Thanks for the education of targets and what they mean as a guy who watches football I had no clue. :sarcasm:

Again, Thompkins is involved and had 14 targets... HOW MANY POINTS THAT GET YOU?

Yes targets mean opportunity, but if you are involved and getting opportunity and doing nothing with it, what's the point?

Again he better get nothing short of 7/80/1 or he is gonna be gone off my team in all redraft.
So, 7/79/1 from your #3 WR doesn't cut it, huh?
Nope as well as 8/150/0 would cut it either. :rolleyes:

If you think I'm so stuck on 1 yard and you dont realize my point thats your prob, but he needs to perform like a starter worthy of a roster spot on short bench in redraft.
So then, what is your new "nothing short of" number?

I saw his ADP trending upwards in the preseason. I ended up not getting him because he was too expensive. I think I'm going to regret it. Tom Brady (the best and probably most fickle QB in the NFL) targeted the guy 14 times. That should be enough for anyone to put Thompkins at the top of their WW list, or to acquire list.

For the record I'm a Thompkins owner...

HE LOOKED AWFUL AGAINST BUFFALO - I MEAN ABSOLUTELY TERRIBLE!!!

If he has another week like that, then you might want to add Josh Boyce bc he'll be the next man up.

Brady def lost a lot of confidence in this guy last week and prob won't be targeting him 14 times this week, even without Vereen or Glassmendola.

If he has another week like that, then you might want to add Josh Boyce bc he'll be the next man up.

Brady def lost a lot of confidence in this guy last week and prob won't be targeting him 14 times this week, even without Vereen or Glassmendola.
I'm glad we got this well-reasoned and insightful post twice. :thumbup:

I'm glad we got this well-reasoned and insightful post twice. :thumbup:
Don't blame me for what is obviously a FBG site error - clearly its that time of the month for someone.

Thompkins is on short leash, IDK how that is even disputable - He is an expendable UDFA...

If you want to keep riding Thompkins, you go right ahead guru... BB is def a guy forgiving of bad play and errors. I'm sure him and Tom will sit down, watch film, & say "hey, lets keep feeding Thompkins the ball bc he looks awful"

14 targets week 1. We should know a lot after this week targets. Is Cromartie going to be on Thompkins?
I think this question is the most important thing brought up for this week. Cromartie is a big physical corner and Thomkins doesn't look like a big physical WR. If Crom is on Thom I think he gets shut down.
I don't see any way Cromartie won't be stuck to KT all night. He's the biggest threat outside the numbers, and that's Cro's office. This could be another ugly stat line. He is one of 3 or 4 corners I want nothing to do with as far as WR matchups.

Phenix said:
Kenny Powers said:
haterade said:
Gotta love the opportunity here going forward. Strong buy imho.
All I know is after 14 targets and a dinged Amendola, Im not dropping him.
Yes but anything short of 7/80/1 and he will be dropped in all redrafts I own him regardless if he gets 14 targets a game.
There are eleven other owners in your league hoping you're this stupid.

14 targets week 1. We should know a lot after this week targets. Is Cromartie going to be on Thompkins?
I think this question is the most important thing brought up for this week. Cromartie is a big physical corner and Thomkins doesn't look like a big physical WR. If Crom is on Thom I think he gets shut down.
I don't see any way Cromartie won't be stuck to KT all night. He's the biggest threat outside the numbers, and that's Cro's office. This could be another ugly stat line. He is one of 3 or 4 corners I want nothing to do with as far as WR matchups.
Vincent Jackson had no problems with Cromartie last week. Definitely not comparing Vjax to KT, but just saying that maybe Cromartie isn't quite up to speed this year...

Vincent Jackson had no problems with Cromartie last week. Definitely not comparing Vjax to KT, but just saying that maybe Cromartie isn't quite up to speed this year...
I didn't see much of that game. Did V-Jax's size give Cro problems or did he actually get separation?

I didn't see much of that game. Did V-Jax's size give Cro problems or did he actually get separation?
I didn't see either. Was just looking at his stat line.

I didn't see either. Was just looking at his stat line.
I didn't see it ether but I read that vjax literally made cromartie his ##### all day, and was way too physically imposing for him to handle.

That said, KT is no VJ. TB and BB know that. AC know that. AC might also be on JE since KT doesn't seem to be a threat for a TD.

I just felt like doing that, sorry lol

Somewhere there's an issue about how the Pats passing game is doing generally.

It loses 5/7 or so of its top receivers, and now after the preseason dust has settled it's without it's top 2 receivers (DA, Vereen). So now we're back to square one.

Dobson and Boyce are just a much rookies as KT. Hoomanawanui should not betting much at all. Even if Edelman does well there will be plenty for another 1-2 players, if not 3 because that's how they operate.

However that win vs BUF was not what was anticipated. It wasn't just KT, overall it was a struggle.

The obvious - KT owners want to think - Everyone is hurt - Gronk, Dobson, Amendola, Vereen - so clearly KT is going to continue to get targets.

The Sneaky Play - Boyce finished the preseason strong and will have a chance too and could end up being the play.

I own both - and will probably roll the dice on KT once again - but I am not at all excited about it.

I've watched the game. Brady was off. Several of KT catches were the fault of Brady. In the 3rd quarter he was setup for a WR screen and Brady threw the ball at his feet. If you've seen this game most of the catches that were made were bobbled un Brady like. Brady was running around in the pocket and under a lot of pressure in this game. In addition some of his mistakes like the catch he made in the end zone where he was pushed out of the back of the end zone by the defender couldn't be made by anyone. If you check the play by play of the game what I wanted to see was how he was used in the second half. BB likes to put people in dog houses right? Well the play by play in the 4th quarter says

2nd and 5 at BUF 45 T.Brady pass short left to K.Thompkins to BUF 29 for 16 yards (L.McKelvin). Caught along sideline at BUF 31.

2nd and 5 at BUF 5 (Shotgun) T.Brady pass incomplete short middle to K.Thompkins. Thrown wide of receiver in back of end zone, crossing to left.

1st and 10 at NE 14 (Shotgun) T.Brady pass incomplete short left to K.Thompkins [A.Branch]. Thrown behind receiver, along sideline at NE 25.

3rd and 7 at NE 43 (Shotgun) T.Brady pass incomplete short left to K.Thompkins (L.McKelvin). Receiver underthrown, coverage near sideline at BUF 45.

Which supported my own eyes showing me that TB was off that day. I'm stuck between starting him, Hankerson (Greenbay), or Fred Jackson (against Carolina) as my flex2 player and leaning towards KT because if Brady had been throwing well last week his line would have been much better

I've watched the game. Brady was off. Several of KT catches were the fault of Brady. In the 3rd quarter he was setup for a WR screen and Brady threw the ball at his feet. If you've seen this game most of the catches that were made were bobbled un Brady like. Brady was running around in the pocket and under a lot of pressure in this game. In addition some of his mistakes like the catch he made in the end zone where he was pushed out of the back of the end zone by the defender couldn't be made by anyone. If you check the play by play of the game what I wanted to see was how he was used in the second half. BB likes to put people in dog houses right? Well the play by play in the 4th quarter says

2nd and 5 at BUF 45 T.Brady pass short left to K.Thompkins to BUF 29 for 16 yards (L.McKelvin). Caught along sideline at BUF 31.

2nd and 5 at BUF 5 (Shotgun) T.Brady pass incomplete short middle to K.Thompkins. Thrown wide of receiver in back of end zone, crossing to left.

1st and 10 at NE 14 (Shotgun) T.Brady pass incomplete short left to K.Thompkins [A.Branch]. Thrown behind receiver, along sideline at NE 25.

3rd and 7 at NE 43 (Shotgun) T.Brady pass incomplete short left to K.Thompkins (L.McKelvin). Receiver underthrown, coverage near sideline at BUF 45.

Which supported my own eyes showing me that TB was off that day. I'm stuck between starting him, Hankerson (Greenbay), or Fred Jackson (against Carolina) as my flex2 player and leaning towards KT because if Brady had been throwing well last week his line would have been much better
Timing with a rookie and off route running can play a role too. Not that I know it in this instance but it could.

I do believe that BB will not be tolerating another poor outing from any of the Pats O, this will be fixed (though it's a short week).

Again, look to the 3rd preseason game with Amendola out. I'm hopeful that gameplan gets repeated.

http://www.patriots.com/schedule-and-stats/game/2013/preseason3

Timing with a rookie and off route running can play a role too. Not that I know it in this instance but it could.

I do believe that BB will not be tolerating another poor outing from any of the Pats O, this will be fixed (though it's a short week).

Again, look to the 3rd preseason game with Amendola out. I'm hopeful that gameplan gets repeated.

http://www.patriots.com/schedule-and-stats/game/2013/preseason3
From what I saw Brady was off this game, was not one of his better games for sure. In the third quarter he throws the ball to KT on a WR screen pass. The ball is so low he's scooping it up off the ground. One of the things said during the broadcast was how TB was quoted as saying KT could run any route and how TB was excited to play with him. One of the main reason I personally became interested in KT was because the reports were coming out that this guy was extremely smart, had excellent skills running routes, and that stat line from week 3 you mentioned was intreguing. So in a matter of 2 weeks this guy has either 1) forgotten how to run proper routes, 2) went from very smart to a dummy, or 3) Believe what my own eyes saw out of TB that game and know that a big reason for the 4-14 stat line was that was he was just off.

To me that's the most accurate statement about this. TB is not usually seeing Amandola, Edlemen, Vereen and every other receiver bobbling his passes. He isn't usually throwing INT's. He had a bad game. It happens to the best of them and it happened here and contributed to the production of KT week one. I'm not saying he played a great game, he didn't. I'm trying to say that the story here to me isn't KT but really TB. How he does this week is anyone's guess but considering they didn't practice this game means to me the same game plan is in place, couple that with the fact two pass catchers are out leaving more opportunities for him, and the fact the game is in New England I think I'm going to start him and hope like you the game plan is like preseason week 3.

Here's a test for you.

I'm taking the guy with the most targets.
I'm taking the guy I think puts up more points. Matchups son, understand it.

Thinking about trading him for Gerhart and Cierre Wood in a dynasty. My RB depth is weak. Have Peterson,Foster, and Tate and that is it.

Here's a test for you.

It doesn't work like that, but hey keep coming up with what ifs to try to change the game and make your point....

BUT AT THE END OF THE DAY ALL THAT MATTERS IS POINTS NOT TARGETS NOT LOOKS NOT PLAYS, YOU CAN ARGUE ALL YOU WANT.

BUT THERE ARE NO POINTS AWARDED FOR ANY OF THAT. END OF STORY.

1 target can result in more points then a guy who gets 14.

Phenix said:
NetnautX said:
Thinking about trading him for Gerhart and Cierre Wood in a dynasty. My RB depth is weak. Have Peterson,Foster, and Tate and that is it.
No one cares.
You're doing it wrong. You're only supposed to say that when people simply post their rosters.

If they talk about trades, especially in a dynasty, that is good info to bounce around on a forum.

Phenix said:
NetnautX said:
No one cares.
You're doing it wrong. You're only supposed to say that when people simply post their rosters.

If they talk about trades, especially in a dynasty, that is good info to bounce around on a forum.
Agreed.

But, Phenix got picked on a lot as a young man. Give him a break.

rickyg said:
tombonneau said:

I'm not denying your analysis of what you saw but then the obvious question is why didn't amendola and Edelman suffer if it was mostly Brady passing poorly? Why did they convert on more of their targets? Is it that Brady only passed poorly to KT?

I'm not being sarcastic I didn't watch the whole game. What did you see?
It wasn't a special performance by Edelman to get two TDs. I think Brady threw great passes to him, every time and that's probably notable rapport-wise. Edelman dropped some gimmes. Few of us said earlier too.

I think people are now expecting the Tom Brady they are accustomed to as they try to read and take in the game as much as possible. He wasn't good ol' Tom in the first half. Rusty? uncomfy? Call it whatever ya want.

BB has to make some sense of it as do the players. Was that Tom's fault or the WRs? The bottom-line is no WR has been told they have a short leash all summer or in recent quotes. They're going to move forward then.

Dobson was out, he's going to get some. Boyce should have got more. It's still fluid, but KT is still the starter and it seems to be presented as the group will pick up the slack for the injured WRs. No one has been announced as starting over KT so ya gotta pencil him in. AFAIK Edelman is in Amendola's spot.

Hoo did fine so he's likely the TE with Sudfeld dinged.

In my reading, Brady started with a lot of talk of executing. It seemed everyone followed saying something similar. I didn't get the impression the Pats thought they had a good day, but instead they had work to do. We spoke of this being a rare FF situation with many WRs truly being involved. It's still playing out that way IMO.

To correct one point mentioned a few times-Brady did not lose confidence in KT. After the end zone pass, the ball was still thrown his way. Brady did not show any lack of confidence in KT, if anything it's "this guy and I should be connecting" and he kept throwing. All in all, I thought the second half, especially late, was some good play by Brady and he was hitting who was open.

I didn't notice much movement other than Amendola and Edelman seeming to trade spots. The one play 3 WRs were out wide...all in all I didn't notice much movement and there should have been. This was the summer plan and these guys all know different spots. I imagine McD wanted them to get comfy so he kept them where they were and all but I don't see that continuing. Too much effort was put into them learning each WR spot.

I thought Edelman looked better outside than in the slot. I wouldn't be surprised if Boyce gets some time in the slot.

Sitting KT tomorrow but since I saw nothing of the BUF game, Im very intrigued to see how he does.

Starting Edelman over him

Phenix said:
NetnautX said:
No one cares.
You are an enormous douchebag, for the record.
Worst poster in this forum. Not just obnoxious but obnoxious and simple-a dangerous combination
As I have pointed out before this obviously is an alias for the banned JuSt CuZ who had the same obnoxious attitude and insulting behavior. The confirmation is the atrocious grammar he uses in many of his postings. I don't know why the Mods continue to let him come in and #### in every thread, but I don't run things around here.

Phenix said:
NetnautX said:
No one cares.
I like how this post currently has 16 "like this". I dont think Ive ever seen more than a few likes for a post. Says a lot :lol:
I've had him on ignore since last season.

Phenix said:
NetnautX said:
No one cares.
I like how this post currently has 16 "like this". I dont think Ive ever seen more than a few likes for a post. Says a lot :lol:
It's up to 41 likes. Never seen anything close to that. Gonna head to Raider's page and see how many likes he has now. He could pad his "likes" by just following this guy around and calling him a douchbag.

Phenix said:
NetnautX said:
No one cares.
It's up to 41 likes. Never seen anything close to that. Gonna head to Raider's page and see how many likes he has now. He could pad his "likes" by just following this guy around and calling him a douchbag.
Years ago, the mods would have recognized that guys like Phenix contribute nothing and spend all day trolling, and they'd be banned and told to 'have a nice season guy'. There are a few others filithying up the Shark Pool, too. Unless they want this to become FFToday, they better start eliminating these guys who contribute nothing and just look to start fights and insult all day.

Thanks for the education of targets and what they mean as a guy who watches football I had no clue. :sarcasm:

Again, Thompkins is involved and had 14 targets... HOW MANY POINTS THAT GET YOU?

Yes targets mean opportunity, but if you are involved and getting opportunity and doing nothing with it, what's the point?

Again he better get nothing short of 7/80/1 or he is gonna be gone off my team in all redraft.
Phenix said:
It's pretty clear I need to dumb it down some. I'm guessing you're the guy who goes out and filters your league's FA pool to show who scored the most points last week and picks them up regardless of the situation. "Woo! Look at me! I just picked up Lawrence Tynes! He kicked 5 FG's last week, which means he'll be the best kicker ever because he scored the most points!" Oh, and thanks for the education on starting/having the guy who puts up the most points and what it should mean. As a guy who plays fantasy football I had no clue. :sarcasm:

Clearly you put up the guy who you thinks will put up more points. The question is, unless you're Biff Tannen and know the future, you have to rely on stats and circumstance to figure out who will put up the most points. What we are all trying to tell you is that there is a correlation between targets and performance. In case "correlation" is too complicated of a word, I'll dumb it down. It's kind of like a kid playing with fire. Kids who play with fire often get burned. There is a correlation between getting burned and playing with fire, BUT not all kids who play with fire get burned. That said, if I was looking for a burned kid, I'd look for one who plays with fire...Kind or an ironic analogy...the whole rising from your own ashes after getting burned up, right Phenix? Maybe that's over your head.

FWIW, I'm done with you. You can believe whatever you want. No sweat off my back. I won't hijack this thread anymore and everyone would likely appreciate you doing the same.

My take on Thompkins is that he's got a good situation, and I don't see any reason why his targets should significantly decline this week. If he catches 4 of 14 again, I'll start to worry, but I highly doubt he will continue to catch >30% of passes thrown his way. As long as the targets are there in week 2, I'll be starting him in week 3.

Phenix said:
It's pretty clear I need to dumb it down some. I'm guessing you're the guy who goes out and filters your league's FA pool to show who scored the most points last week and picks them up regardless of the situation. "Woo! Look at me! I just picked up Lawrence Tynes! He kicked 5 FG's last week, which means he'll be the best kicker ever because he scored the most points!" Oh, and thanks for the education on starting/having the guy who puts up the most points and what it should mean. As a guy who plays fantasy football I had no clue. :sarcasm:

Clearly you put up the guy who you thinks will put up more points. The question is, unless you're Biff Tannen and know the future, you have to rely on stats and circumstance to figure out who will put up the most points. What we are all trying to tell you is that there is a correlation between targets and performance. In case "correlation" is too complicated of a word, I'll dumb it down. It's kind of like a kid playing with fire. Kids who play with fire often get burned. There is a correlation between getting burned and playing with fire, BUT not all kids who play with fire get burned. That said, if I was looking for a burned kid, I'd look for one who plays with fire...Kind or an ironic analogy...the whole rising from your own ashes after getting burned up, right Phenix? Maybe that's over your head.

FWIW, I'm done with you. You can believe whatever you want. No sweat off my back. I won't hijack this thread anymore and everyone would likely appreciate you doing the same.

My take on Thompkins is that he's got a good situation, and I don't see any reason why his targets should significantly decline this week. If he catches 4 of 14 again, I'll start to worry, but I highly doubt he will continue to catch >30% of passes thrown his way. As long as the targets are there in week 2, I'll be starting him in week 3.
I'm sure it's frustrating for people to deal with those who ignore fundamental reasons players do or don't score points. Trent Richardson got an awful ypc last season, but people love the guy because he's recognized as a guy they are counting on anyway. As of the season so far, Brady is counting on Thompkins as much as any QB is counting on a WR. If he keeps up the 29% catch rate, sure he'll go away. But I think it's pretty reasonable to say that catch rate will increase. If it goes up to a still modest 43%, his points increase dramatically (in this case it would be at least 2 more receptions with whatever more yards you want to add as well as a possible TD). Next week, Thompkins could go 11 targets, 5/58/1 and fantasy fans will be very happy.

Do people think Thompkins is going to be booted for a frustrating week 1? I think Brady knows his WRs aren't a finished product and he needs more than Amendola and Edelman to make the offense work. Some of those non catches were on Brady too, more work together means better communication and anticipation, means a higher catch rate and more big plays.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread