What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

CJ Spiller workload (1 Viewer)

hotboyz

Footballguy
Bills plan to feed Spiller 'til he throws up'

http://blogs.buffalonews.com/press-coverage/2013/08/bills-oc-plans-to-give-cj-spiller-the-ball-until-he-throws-up.html

"Rookie OC Nathaniel Hackett said the Bills will feed C.J. Spiller the football "until he throws up."

"So he's either got to tap out or throw up on the field," said Hackett. "Let's just put it that way." Per the Buffalo News, a radio host asked Hackett "if Spiller would be the focal point of the offense." Hackett's responded by "laughing incredulously and wondered why anybody would think otherwise." The Bills' website has suggested Spiller could touch the ball 30 times a game. A run-first coach with designs on wearing down opponents, Doug Marrone has markered in Spiller for a monster workload. He's also locked in as a top-five fantasy pick.

I love CJ Spiller this year my question is do you guys believe he can hold up under this kind of workload? It scares me to death about him he seems to alway get dinged up or something. I know he played all 16 games last yr but he had to play through injury. Just not sure if you can trust him. We all know it can be a team killer when you bust on your 1st rd pick!!

If he stays healthy the whole season I do believe he will be the #1 RB in FF BUT THAT'S A VERY BIG IF!

I don't have any concerns about Spiller's workload, or really anything about his game...my concerns revolve 100% around his QB.

I suspect a lot of people might share the concern about him getting injured, but this might actually be a great thing for CJ owners. Even if he misses a few games due to being nicked up, you can snag Fred Jackson pretty cheap, and have the bell-cow for the games CJ misses. A 65/35 split to keep him healthy would lower the ceiling considerably.

I suspect a lot of people might share the concern about him getting injured, but this might actually be a great thing for CJ owners. Even if he misses a few games due to being nicked up, you can snag Fred Jackson pretty cheap, and have the bell-cow for the games CJ misses. A 65/35 split to keep him healthy would lower the ceiling considerably.
Great point. If Spiller goes down, he has a very cheap handcuff that has proven he can be a fantasy stud. It is a really nice situation and makes me feel really comfortable taking Spiller early in the first. Also, if I don't take Spiller, I'm still targeting Jackson in every draft.

I don't have any concerns about Spiller's workload, or really anything about his game...my concerns revolve 100% around his QB.
great back still produce even without the best QB situation - barry, LT, MJD, etc.

I wouldnt even bother handcuffing freddy jackson as he is unlikely to stay healthy himself

great back still produce even without the best QB situation - barry, LT, MJD, etc.
I agree, but does Spiller = those guys in their prime? He might, and at the very least I think he's close to MJD's skill, which is why I have no qualms taking Spiller late 1/early 2. I don't like taking him early 1 though and that seems where his price is heading.

At this point I'm taking Rice, Lynch, and Richardson before him. Maybe Shady too.

I agree, but does Spiller = those guys in their prime? He might, and at the very least I think he's close to MJD's skill, which is why I have no qualms taking Spiller late 1/early 2. I don't like taking him early 1 though and that seems where his price is heading.

At this point I'm taking Rice, Lynch, and Richardson before him. Maybe Shady too.
he is certainly in the conversation with those guys.

Cant you say the same thing about Trent Richardson? Terrible QB

Spillers price will be top5 next year. getting him in the 8th - 14th pick range this year is a giant bargain

but wasn't that the same concern last year? seems he did pretty well in '12..
If EJ is his QB his QB may be worse. Difficult to accumulate yardage when you don't have any sustained drives and are never in the red zone so all of your TD's muist come from distance or on drives you manufacture.

Cleveland and Philly and to a lesser extent Baltimore have their share of offense and QB concerns. In the case of Richardson, he has had a long list of injury issues as well as a lack of dominance so far.

I wouldn't argue if anyone chose those guys over Spiller, but give me CJ.

Spillers price will be top5 next year. getting him in the 8th - 14th pick range this year is a giant bargain
Richardson's QB is lousy, Spiller's is worse...if it's EJ.

I agree, but does Spiller = those guys in their prime? He might, and at the very least I think he's close to MJD's skill, which is why I have no qualms taking Spiller late 1/early 2. I don't like taking him early 1 though and that seems where his price is heading.At this point I'm taking Rice, Lynch, and Richardson before him. Maybe Shady too.
he is certainly in the conversation with those guys.Cant you say the same thing about Trent Richardson? Terrible QB

Disagree. Manuel is better than Wheeden. And Buffalo's WRs>>>>>>>>>Cleveland's WRs.

And how many RBs have averaged over 6.0 ypc with over 200 carries? (3 other than Spiller) His elusiveness rating, as calculated by PFF, is rivaled by only guys like Barry Sanders. He has all time elite talent. If he stays healthy, he's a virtual lock for 2000+ total yards no matter who is at QB.

Does everyone think maybe we should wait until at least a couple preseason games are played before we go saying that EJ is terrible? New coach and new QB, might be best to give everyone a shot before saying they are terrible.

your crystal ball must be better than mine. I dont recall EJ playing in the league before. Cant he handoff or throw screens to his RB?

your crystal ball must be better than mine. I dont recall EJ playing in the league before. Cant he handoff or throw screens to his RB?
If EJ plays anything like he did in college his upside this year is Tarvaris Jackson. His bad days will be worse.

I agree, but does Spiller = those guys in their prime? He might, and at the very least I think he's close to MJD's skill, which is why I have no qualms taking Spiller late 1/early 2. I don't like taking him early 1 though and that seems where his price is heading.At this point I'm taking Rice, Lynch, and Richardson before him. Maybe Shady too.
he is certainly in the conversation with those guys.Cant you say the same thing about Trent Richardson? Terrible QB

Disagree. Manuel is better than Wheeden. And Buffalo's WRs>>>>>>>>>Cleveland's WRs.

And how many RBs have averaged over 6.0 ypc with over 200 carries? (3 other than Spiller) His elusiveness rating, as calculated by PFF, is rivaled by only guys like Barry Sanders. He has all time elite talent. If he stays healthy, he's a virtual lock for 2000+ total yards no matter who is at QB.
O-line?

You may end up being correct, but you're putting a ton of faith in a bunch of rookies. In any event, that's way too many >'s on the WRs.

You may end up being correct, but you're putting a ton of faith in a bunch of rookies. In any event, that's way too many >'s on the WRs.
True. I really like Woods and there's no doubting Rogers' talent, but that group isn't so far ahead of Cleveland's. Stevie's a more reliable #1 than anything on Cleveland (if he's actually healthy anyway), but there's unknowns with upside sprinkled on both depth charts. Buffalo may have a leg up now, not a big one though, but that conceivably could be totally different in two months.

no concerns or questions if CJ can be that bell cow?
Not anymore than most other backs. Those that have done it multiple years have an advantage, but there aren't many that have and are still playing at a high level.

Any talk of 30 touches / game is rank nonsense obviously. At 25 / game he'd be the odds on favorite to lead the NFL. 20 - 22 is probably realistic given the Bills' offense, and he should be just fine with that workload. I'll be thrilled with him anywhere I can land him as my RB1 -- particularly in PPR where IMO he's a surefire top-5 RB and in the mix for #1 overall player.

Spiller has not had a lot of game with a truly heavy workload. But in the games over his career where he had at least 15 touches, he's produced very well:

Total yards, total TD:

70-0

102-1

56-0

167-2

138-1

100-1

194-1

170-2

110-1

102-0

130-0

103-0

84-1

101-1

173-0

131-1

He averaged about 16 touches a game last year. He also had 1700 yards on 16/game. I think if they want to increase his workload to 20-22 touches, that is reasonable.

30 is just ridiculous and would be impossible to keep up. He'd also likely lose effectiveness. He is going to get 3400 yards this season if he got 32 touches a game? Of course not. With more touches, he'll be more tired, and he won't be nearly as explosive. Without that explosion, he won't be nearly as effective.

And we haven't even factored in the ridiculous "hurry-up" offense that the Bills purport to run. That might work if you are New England or Denver. But not when you have an average defense, a rookie QB, a bunch of average talent at WR, and a brand new coaching staff.

Magic 8-Ball said:
Spiller has not had a lot of game with a truly heavy workload. But in the games over his career where he had at least 15 touches, he's produced very well:

Total yards, total TD:

70-0

102-1

56-0

167-2

138-1

100-1

194-1

170-2

110-1

102-0

130-0

103-0

84-1

101-1

173-0

131-1
And crazy - that's a total of 16 games.

1,931 total yards and 12 TDs.

msommer said:
shader said:
I don't like the idea of using Spiller to "wear down the defense".
I agree. Even if he breaks a few long ones a game.
I don't recall Marrone or Hackett saying they're going to use him to "wear down the defense". That statement implies between the tackles, ball control power running. I believe they intend to use him in the passing game almost as much as the running game, to the point of him "throwing up". He's the type of player that could rush for 1,200 yards and receive for another 700 with maybe 10 total scores combined. That's great total production and would not require as many touches to achieve as an ordinary power rb.

As for the QB concerns, those are definitely legit'. I think the Bills have a middle-of-the-pack OL with no proven QB... that's the bigger worry IMO.

Expecting Marshall Faulk 1999-2001 type usage.

240-260 carries/60-80 receptions

his stats won't be as gaudy and he won't have the big TD numbers. the Buffalo offense is much much worse, but the number of carries/rec should be similar barring injury.

Love this cat. I'm gunning for as many "explosive" players as I can get my hands on this year, injury risk be damned.

I can definitely see a team with Kaepernick, Spiller, Sproles, Austin and Cobb all being on the shelf at once, but the upside can't be ignored. :football:

Love this cat. I'm gunning for as many "explosive" players as I can get my hands on this year, injury risk be damned.

I can definitely see a team with Kaepernick, Spiller, Sproles, Austin and Cobb all being on the shelf at once, but the upside can't be ignored. :football:
based on his history he's probably the least likely to get injured of almost any RB in the NFL.

He's never had a major injury, never missed a game in college, and didn't even miss the next game after his shoulder separation last year.

Going back to college he's had:

994 carries/229 receptions

1223 total touches without missing a game

I don't know why people think he's some big injury risk, he's as tough as they come and doesn't miss games.

Not to hi-jack.. but I have Spiller and Foster and can keep only one... non ppr, I can keep Foster this year and next, if I go Spiller I have him this year and the next two.

GO...

Not to hi-jack.. but I have Spiller and Foster and can keep only one... non ppr, I can keep Foster this year and next, if I go Spiller I have him this year and the next two.

GO...
with an extra year of Spiller it's a no-brainer. He could outperform Foster this year and is far less risky injury wise, both short-term and long-term.

shader said:
I don't like the idea of using Spiller to "wear down the defense".
By the time the defense is worn down, will their own defense have kept them in the game where they can afford to run?

Magic 8-Ball said:

Total yards, total TD:

70-0

102-1

56-0

167-2

138-1

100-1

194-1

170-2

110-1

102-0

130-0

103-0

84-1

101-1

173-0

131-1

It worked out to 252 carries and 53 receptions.

I'm picking in the 3 spot in a 10 man 0.5 PPR league this year. I decided this morning that I am taking Spiller with my first pick. His ceiling is HUGE, especially if the Buffalo coaching staff is blowing smoke.

As already mentioned, I may have to reach for F-jax, but it's valuable insurance for a RB position that has produced every single year, no matter who the starter. It can only get better in my opinion.

Magic 8-Ball said:

Total yards, total TD:

70-0

102-1

56-0

167-2

138-1

100-1

194-1

170-2

110-1

102-0

130-0

103-0

84-1

101-1

173-0

131-1

It worked out to 252 carries and 53 receptions.
Which I think are both reasonable expectations for Spiller this year playing a full season as starter. The overall offense and his TDs - or getting enough close opportunities for TDs - I think are the biggest things that will determine whether he is a Top 5 RB at the end of the year or low end RB1

Maven said:
His coach certainly does. reading down?

"It's real simple," Hackett said. "We're going to give him the ball until he throws up. So he's either got to tap out or throw up on the field. Let's just put it that way."
I have seen Spiller tapping out on multiple occasions. :homer:

Hackett must be sick of this already and feels a need to public challenge (knock down) Tatum Bell CJ Spiller.

Maven said:
His coach certainly does. reading down?

"It's real simple," Hackett said. "We're going to give him the ball until he throws up. So he's either got to tap out or throw up on the field. Let's just put it that way."
I have seen Spiller tapping out on multiple occasions. :homer:

Hackett must be sick of this already and feels a need to public challenge (knock down) Tatum Bell CJ Spiller.
http://youtu.be/CG2cux_6Rcw

You are smoking crack if you think C.J. Spiller will be locked for 2000+ yards. He should average just around 1000 yards.

I'm less concerned about his workload than I am about him being pulled at the goal line. Recent quote from Marrone says he hasn't decided yet on his goal line guy, and could be Jackson or Choice instead of Spiller.

I'm less concerned about his workload than I am about him being pulled at the goal line. Recent quote from Marrone says he hasn't decided yet on his goal line guy, and could be Jackson or Choice instead of Spiller.
I feel like people are underestimating the number of carries Jackson could take, especially at the goal line.

I feel like people are underestimating the number of carries Jackson could take, especially at the goal line.
I feel like people are over valuing Fred Jackson
I think so, too. Several comments I've read in various threads point to Fred having a big role, but let's not forget that he's 32, coming off two injuries the past two years, and has no loyalty from his coach (unlike Galley, who loved him). He's a great soldier and teammate, but seems to be on the back end of his career.

He may have some value as a goal line vulture - if that is his role - but I don't think much beyond that.

I have Spiller and Charles basically equal in my rankings. Can't go wrong either way as far as I'm concerned. If you're curious they are 2a, 2b only behind AD.

I am in a PPR keeper league though.

Users who are viewing this thread