#1 showtime22

showtime22

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 50 posts
  • Joined 19-August 13

Posted 20 August 2013 - 11:09 AM

I am in a 12 team PPR Keeper League where we can keep 2 players (1 per positon and no players drafted in rounds 1-3 last year).  I have the second pick in the draft which I plan on taking Doug Martin.  We start 2 rb's and 3 wr's.  There is no flex position.  My other keeper is Danny Amendola.  My question is who should I keep?:

Shane Vereen for a 13th round pick

or

Steven Ridley for a 3rd round pick

I know from a value stand point it seems like Vereen is a no brainer.  I guess my concern is that Ridley is still the #1 Rb in New England and he would be my #2 RB starter on my team.  He has looked great in the preseason.

At this point, it seems like if I kept Vereen, he would be a RB #3 unless Ridley gets hurt.  I don't know how confident I would feel consistently starting Vereen on a weekly basis at this point.   Last year he averaged only like 5-8 carries per game but this year he will have a bigger role in the passing offense with Hernandez and Welker gone.  If I keep Vereen, I could also draft another RB in round 2 or 3.  I would hopefully be looking at the following running backs as my #2 RB: DeMarco Murray, Frank Gore, Darren McFadden, Leveon Bell, Darren McFadden.

Ridley seems safer but Vereen seems better value which makes my decision tough.

Note: Keepers aren't due for another week but this is who I anticipate being kept by other owners: Reggie Bush, Jordy Nelson,   Ryan Broyles, Russel Wilson, RG3, Victor Cruz, AJ Green, Eric Decker, CJ Spiller, Peyton Manning, Steve Smith, Kaepernick, Garcon,  Matthews, Alfred Morris, Reggie Wayne, Daryl Richardson, and Gronkowski

Edited by showtime22, 20 August 2013 - 01:31 PM.

#2 mhh207@gmail.com

mhh207@gmail.com

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 210 posts
  • Joined 07-August 13

Posted 20 August 2013 - 11:18 AM

I am in a 12 team PPR Keeper League where we can keep 2 players (1 per positon).  I have the second pick in the draft which I plan on taking Doug Martin.  We start 2 rb's and 3 wr's.  There is no flex position.  My other keeper is Danny Amendola.  My question is who should I keep?:

or

I know from a value stand point it seems like Vereen is a no brainer.  I guess my concern is that Ridley is still the #1 Rb in New England and he would be my #2 RB starter on my team.  He has looked great in the preseason.

At this point, it seems like if I kept Vereen, he would be a RB #3 unless Ridley gets hurt.  I don't know how confident I would feel consistently starting Vereen on a weekly basis at this point.   Last year he averaged only like 5-8 carries per game but this year he will have a bigger role in the passing offense with Hernandez and Welker gone.  If I keep Vereen, I could also draft another RB in round 2 or 3.  I would hopefully be looking at the following running backs as my #2 RB: DeMarco Murray, Frank Gore, Darren McFadden, Leveon Bell, Darren McFadden.

Ridley all day long IMO. Vereen is nice and hopefully you could grab him in the later rounds. No way do the odds support Vereen over Murray or Ridley. Ridley is however much preferred over Murray. http://www.fantasypr...evan-ridley.php. So if in round 3 with Vereen on your bench you draft Murray you are really getting a downgrade at RB2 and unpgrade at RB3(bench)

If you can grab Vereen in the 5th or so then I like that move. Go WR in round2 for sure. Who do you think will be available then?

#3 avsizzle

avsizzle

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 59 posts
  • Joined 14-September 12

Posted 20 August 2013 - 11:23 AM

Vereen

#4 showtime22

showtime22

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 50 posts
  • Joined 19-August 13

Posted 20 August 2013 - 12:06 PM

Vereen

Do you have any thoughts on why you prefer Vereen?

#5 showtime22

showtime22

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 50 posts
  • Joined 19-August 13

Posted 20 August 2013 - 12:14 PM

I am in a 12 team PPR Keeper League where we can keep 2 players (1 per positon).  I have the second pick in the draft which I plan on taking Doug Martin.  We start 2 rb's and 3 wr's.  There is no flex position.  My other keeper is Danny Amendola.  My question is who should I keep?:

or

Ridley all day long IMO. Vereen is nice and hopefully you could grab him in the later rounds. No way do the odds support Vereen over Murray or Ridley. Ridley is however much preferred over Murray. http://www.fantasypr...evan-ridley.php. So if in round 3 with Vereen on your bench you draft Murray you are really getting a downgrade at RB2 and unpgrade at RB3(bench)

If you can grab Vereen in the 5th or so then I like that move. Go WR in round2 for sure. Who do you think will be available then?

If I end up keeping Ridley in exchange for my 3rd round pick, I for sure will go Wr for my second round pick which will be the (23rd overall pick).  When I take into consideration of the keepers top wr's that other owners probably will be keeping (A.J. Green), the following WR's will probably be available in the second round:

Demaryius Thomas (he may be available but a high possiblity that he could be gone, if he is there, I am taking him)

Randall Cobb

Andre Johnson

Roddy White

Victor Cruz

Vincent Jackson

Dwayne Bowe

#6 mhh207@gmail.com

mhh207@gmail.com

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 210 posts
  • Joined 07-August 13

Posted 20 August 2013 - 12:21 PM

To make the case for Vereen you could argue that in a PPR format he is still going to be used as a 3rd down RB and will get carries in NE. No Woodhead, no Welker, no Hernandez, injured Gronk, injury prone Amendola all = increased opportunity for involvement in the passing game. Most would have Vereen as less of a value than Ridley but not by 10 rounds! That being said the real conversation is what are giving up in the 3rd if you keep Ridley and if you still reach for Vereen in the draft (say 5th 6th round) what player(s) are you giving up to make that happen? 

I am always of the mindset that I'd prefer one in the hand over two in the Bush. You should still be able to get decent WR1/2 in round 2 if there are only 24 keepers (assuming several owners will keep Cam or the likes of Brees/Brady/Rodgers etc). With Amendola as your WR keeper then I would feel a ton better if you grabbed another solid option early. Still round 4 you could grab your WR3, round 5 grab Vereen or another upside RB that might fall. By round 6 you are looking either for a high value RB/WR and if neither is there then maybe the high value QB, doubt that Witten/Davis/Finley fall this far but would have to consider them around the mid round rage as well. Consider who is available at that point and if you are between 3-4 guys that you feel comfortable taking and you think one should be there when your next pick come us up then look for the value player that you know shouldn't make it back to you. Take what the draft gives you and honestly if you prefer Vereen with a combo of two RBs to start your draft then that is preference and there will be the potential of WR2 depth for days according to most expert insight

#7 mhh207@gmail.com

mhh207@gmail.com

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 210 posts
  • Joined 07-August 13

Posted 20 August 2013 - 12:31 PM

or

If I end up keeping Ridley in exchange for my 3rd round pick, I for sure will go Wr for my second round pick which will be the (23rd overall pick).  When I take into consideration of the keepers top wr's that other owners probably will be keeping (A.J. Green), the following WR's will probably be available in the second round:

Demaryius Thomas (he may be available but a high possiblity that he could be gone, if he is there, I am taking him)

Randall Cobb

Andre Johnson

Roddy White

Victor Cruz

Vincent Jackson

Dwayne Bowe

If you think that caliber of WR is going to fall to you then I would for sure say that Ridley is the play. Being able to pair Martin with Ridley and any of those WRs is great! Would further suggest that RB depth is thin enough that holding onto Ridley is smart IMO. In round 2 of a PPR I am taking any of those guys over Murray or the other RBs you mentioned above, so if you keep Vereen I'd still be tempted to go RB WR and then you are stuck with an upside but risky RB2 in in the 3rd round. Going Amendola/Ridley then Martin/Cobb/Ridley/VJax or Bowe or Colston or Garcon or Torrey Smith/ then grabbing Vereen or David Wilson or Lamar Miller or Gio Bernard in the 5th. By then you are very very well established at the two most critical positions. 

#8 bigpelly8

bigpelly8

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts
  • Joined 30-July 10

Posted 20 August 2013 - 01:47 PM

I'm all in on Ridley this year.  While I think brady will still put up elite numbers, I think they will have to depend more on the run than in the past.  And, in the past, they have run a heck of a lot!!  Ridley is going to get teh goal line looks and more touches and thats enough for me.  

#9 showtime22

showtime22

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 50 posts
  • Joined 19-August 13

Posted 20 August 2013 - 09:30 PM

To make the case for Vereen you could argue that in a PPR format he is still going to be used as a 3rd down RB and will get carries in NE. No Woodhead, no Welker, no Hernandez, injured Gronk, injury prone Amendola all = increased opportunity for involvement in the passing game. Most would have Vereen as less of a value than Ridley but not by 10 rounds! That being said the real conversation is what are giving up in the 3rd if you keep Ridley and if you still reach for Vereen in the draft (say 5th 6th round) what player(s) are you giving up to make that happen? 

I am always of the mindset that I'd prefer one in the hand over two in the Bush. You should still be able to get decent WR1/2 in round 2 if there are only 24 keepers (assuming several owners will keep Cam or the likes of Brees/Brady/Rodgers etc). With Amendola as your WR keeper then I would feel a ton better if you grabbed another solid option early. Still round 4 you could grab your WR3, round 5 grab Vereen or another upside RB that might fall. By round 6 you are looking either for a high value RB/WR and if neither is there then maybe the high value QB, doubt that Witten/Davis/Finley fall this far but would have to consider them around the mid round rage as well. Consider who is available at that point and if you are between 3-4 guys that you feel comfortable taking and you think one should be there when your next pick come us up then look for the value player that you know shouldn't make it back to you. Take what the draft gives you and honestly if you prefer Vereen with a combo of two RBs to start your draft then that is preference and there will be the potential of WR2 depth for days according to most expert insight

You did make a good point where if I keep Vereen, I am almost forced to go RB-RB in first two rounds which could mean that my #1 WR wouldn't be drafted to round 3.  At that point I am looking at a Victor Cruz, Bowe or Garcon.  I think I will monitor how both running backs do in their third preseason game.

Edited by showtime22, 20 August 2013 - 09:31 PM.

#10 tomaszkay

tomaszkay

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 52 posts
  • Joined 03-August 12

Posted 21 August 2013 - 02:43 AM

i'd go with ridley as well. RB depth is thin and ridley will still be the main guy in NE.vereen won't be a viable #2 and thats effeectively what you'd want from your keeper.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users