What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Greg Jennings- comeback year? (1 Viewer)

ponchsox

Footballguy
Yes, he doesn't have Aaron Rodgers throwing to him but he's healthy and he's the #1 WR on the Vikings. I see this guy going super late in drafts. Seems like a steal at his ADP. Thoughts?

1) He is getting older and obviously couldn't compete with GB's younger WR's.

2) Ponder is horrible.

I think his ADP is about right.

2) Ponder is horrible.

I'm not worried about his age, but prior to the preseason I had hope that he would improve. He hasn't and his arm strength is still a liability. Still, I think Jennings will do better than WR36 simply because he'll get a ton of targets.

Observation. His role in the offense had been diminishing for the past couple years with both Nelson and Cobb taking more prominent roles. Even Jones was pushing him out of the nest.

It was obvious, at least to me, that he couldn't compete with the younger guys there anymore.

Donald Driver he is not.

Last edited by a moderator:
The only reason the Packers soured on him was because he couldn't stay on the field anymore. He's had multiple concussions (3 I think) and has missed 11 of his last 32 games.

He's still a good player, but I don't think he's what he once was either. He had 1 game over 100 yards in 2012. (10 games played including playoffs). If you keep looking back, you have to go to October of 2011 to find his next 100 yard game. That was all while playing with Aaron Rodgers.

He went for $3 last night in a $200 cap. I'm not a fan of him this year but for real, he's still the WR1 and should get 60-70 catches with no problem.

He'll have lots of 1-1 opp's also if i remember correctly hes going to be in the same role as harvin (trying to remember where i read that). Obviously he's not harvin, but in ppr leagues i think he will be under drafted

Ponder is awful this year thus far. I love gennings but do not expect a banner year from him because of qb. He will get his but I think he's more a ww2/ww3 fantasy wise.

Vector said:

2) Ponder is horrible.

I disagree with both of these points.

1) He's 29 and was the best receiver in Green Bay until he got hurt. People forget he was a top 10 wideout last year and remember that Cobb and Nelson did well. But Jennings was injured.

2) Ponder was good enough to feed the rock to Harvin. He's plenty good enough to get Jennings the ball. Jennings' strength is lightning quick cutting and getting open which dovetails nicely with Ponder.

Vector said:

2) Ponder is horrible.

I disagree with both of these points.

1) He's 29 and was the best receiver in Green Bay until he got hurt. People forget he was a top 10 wideout last year and remember that Cobb and Nelson did well. But Jennings was injured.

2) Ponder was good enough to feed the rock to Harvin. He's plenty good enough to get Jennings the ball. Jennings' strength is lightning quick cutting and getting open which dovetails nicely with Ponder.
His ADP may have been that high, but here is what his owners got. 5/34, DNP, 6/35, 1/9/1, then seven DNPs. He wasn't a top 10 WR last year in reality. He wasn't in 2011 either, mostly due to injury. Last time Jennings actually came through with a top 10 season was 2010.

Jennings is about to turn 30 years old, and has missed large chunks of time over the past two years. There's a lot of depth at WR out there this year. Why take a guy with a bad QB that is also proving to be injury prone late in his career?

Last edited by a moderator:
Vector said:

2) Ponder is horrible.

I disagree with both of these points.1) He's 29 and was the best receiver in Green Bay until he got hurt. People forget he was a top 10 wideout last year and remember that Cobb and Nelson did well. But Jennings was injured.

Ponder looks worse, way worse this year. I'm a homer and would love to see gennings tear it up but I don't see it. There is one thing going for him though, he's really all Ponder has so if Ponder improves he will do better then I expect.

He could easily out produce ADP. If he gets 70 yards a game and a few scores, that will outperform his adp.

Ponder is terrible and Patterson is too dynamic with the ball in his hands not be get an increase in targets as the year plays out.

I think Ponder and the rest of us are going to find Jarius Wright with the most targets from the wide receiver position. He will be the best bet to get open in a short area and that is where Ponder has to make his living.

Ponder may look bad but how often is ADP in during preseason? His play action to ADP is what everything hinges upon. Grabbing a team's #1WR late in the draft is a better option than another team's #2 unless the QB of that team is a stud like peyton manning. Also reiterate that Havin's stats weren't too shabby. I have high hopes and if it doesn't pan out I have 4 other pretty good WR's already.

Ponder may look bad but how often is ADP in during preseason? His play action to ADP is what everything hinges upon. Grabbing a team's #1WR late in the draft is a better option than another team's #2 unless the QB of that team is a stud like peyton manning. Also reiterate that Havin's stats weren't too shabby. I have high hopes and if it doesn't pan out I have 4 other pretty good WR's already.
I know it's just preseason, but Patterson has seemed to get as much, if not more, attention as Jennings. So it may be more a 1a 1b kind of thing. Maybe that changes when its for real.

Also, Ponder is horrible.

In my opinion (and I've heard it elsewhere), Ponder is actually worse when it comes to the play action. His footwork is awful and it seems to be amplified when he's got to turn his body downfield on play-action. It may open things up, but his inability to get his feet under him and step into a throw IMO is why he overthrows seemingly 75% of his passes....if you can't hit a receiver who's open, opening things up is meaningless. He does actually get some decent zip on a ball here than there when he's able to step into it...but most of his throws are falling away, pivoting on on foot, feet sideways, feet planted, anything but prototypical. If you've got an arm you can make up for it...Ponder's does not make up for it.

Harvin's stats were highly dependent on getting the ball in his hands behind the line of scrimmage or close to it...the Vikings game planned to get the ball in his hands and let him go. I'm not sure you can compare Harvin's elite unique skill-set to a receiver like Jennings who runs great routes and has to rely on timing with the QB.

I've always really respected Jennings and he's killed my Vikings with his ability to get open over the years, but I'd be blown away if Ponder can get him the ball more than once a game that will allow him to get more than 2 YAC or surpasses 700 yards.

Users who are viewing this thread