What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

MFL changes player positions on the day the season starts (1 Viewer)

KellysHeroes

Footballguy
Why on earth would you change player positions on the day the season starts, this is ridiculous and they should be undone. Everyone that has used the site already has drafted their teams and submitted line ups, now what happens... they have invalid line ups on game day if their starting any of these players.

following player position changes will be made on Thursday,, September 5th,

ARI: Matt Shaughnessy from LB to DE
BAL: Deangelo Tyson from DT to DE
BUF: Jerry Hughes from DE to LB
DAL: Caesar Rayford from LB to DE
DEN: Quentin Jammer from S to CB
DEN: Omar Bolden from CB to S
GB : Mike Daniels from DE to DT
GB : Mike Neal from DE to LB
JAX: Chris McCoy from LB to DE
KC : Jaye Howard from DT to DE
KC : Mike Catapano from LB to DE
SD : Sean Lissemore from DT to DE
SEA: Michael Bennett from DT to DE
SEA: Greg Scruggs from DE to DT
SF : Chris Harper from WR to TE
TEN: Karl Klug from DE to DT
WAS: Jerome Murphy from S to CB

Hi Ryan,

We've always handled it this way, since it is the only way to have the positions as up-to-date as possible. You are free to change any player position as needed in your individual league if it causes problems. See below for more info and details on that.

Thanks
Mike

####################################################################################

No, I have been using this site for almost 10 yrs and have not seen such a large amount of changes occur on Kickoff night... there are many leagues that have rules written to go by what your site states, including all 6 of the leagues I run and the 1 other that I'm in. I can see many league mates now getting upset with each other and debating now that a rule change needs to be made on kickoff night.

Also, many if not most leagues lock waivers until after week 1 so people just can't go pick up another player if they got screwed today.

As a commish of 6 leagues I shouldn't have to deal with this the night of kickoff while I'm paying $50 - $80 a pop per site, its WAY to late to change anything... I purchase your site over yahoo and espn to avoid stuff like this. These changes should of been done a week or 2 earlier! With all the information on the internet your telling me these changes had to occur now?

Your missing Chris Harper going from WR to TE (not that anyone had him in a starting lineup) when he changed from Sea to SF.

Your missing Chris Harper going from WR to TE (not that anyone had him in a starting lineup) when he changed from Sea to SF.
Umm, you might want to check his list again... Harper's switch is clearly on it.
the point of the thread is why are they doing this on the night the season starts, was there some late breaking news that caused them, nope. There was nothing new that came out recently and these changes could of been done atleast a week ago... this just causes a headache for commissioners.

I agree completely. I put in a support ticket saying they should restrict positional changes to basically Monday night / Tuesday morning before waivers run. I'd encourage everyone else to as well.

But I won't get very up in arms about leagues that draft earlier than, say, Tuesday night, and then don't allow a waiver session before games start. To me, that's just poor setup for a league. NFL teams cut players on Saturday and there is still a ton of movement on Sunday as waivers happen. A lot of players may go from 4-3 DT to 3-4 DE, or 3-4 OLB to 4-3 DE in those 2-3 days. It's unrealistic to think a fantasy site won't need to do an update after last weekend.

But making a change the morning of the game, after most league's waivers are done? Very bad form. Should have waited until next week to do it if earlier wasn't an option.

Last edited by a moderator:
If players positions changed due to changing teams last minute....chances are the player wasn't in a lineup or likely to make any impact anyway.

I'm guessing 98% of these changes don't make a darn bit of difference

Why are you closing waivers a day or days before the first game when you know MFL is going to do a position update the day of the first game?

If players positions changed due to changing teams last minute....chances are the player wasn't in a lineup or likely to make any impact anyway.

Sorry. But in our IDP league this effected 3-16 teams. It all depends on the size of the league.

what if they do make a bif difference, and your league rules state u can't change them and the waivers are locked?

Michael Bennett changing from DT to DE is a big impact for leagues that use those as separate positions. It would be like the site taking your RB3 and suddenly turning him into WR28.

While I am whole-heartedly against leagues not having waivers that run until each player's game starts, as a site they have to realize how many leagues do that. Not to mention owners who may not see that the site made their lineup invalid in time to change it. Some leagues that would result in a forfeit for the week. Which again I consider a bad rule, but it's not unheard of.

In our league we separate the DT and the DE position. We are required to start 2 DE's, but we can start 1 or 2 DT's depending on how you want to fill out the LB's, CB's, and Safeties. (4-3, 3-4, 4-2-5, etc). This is also a salary cap league, so blind bidding runs all week and are processed on Weds nights.

Forget fantasy, does the NFL tell teams the day of a game that a player is suspended? Leaving them with no chance of picking up another player?

I hear nothing but complaints from MFL owners. Lineup changes, not notified of trade offers, etc.

Probably time to consider switching to a real host like CBS or something.

Michael Bennett changing from DT to DE is a big impact for leagues that use those as separate positions. It would be like the site taking your RB3 and suddenly turning him into WR28.

While I am whole-heartedly against leagues not having waivers that run until each player's game starts, as a site they have to realize how many leagues do that. Not to mention owners who may not see that the site made their lineup invalid in time to change it. Some leagues that would result in a forfeit for the week. Which again I consider a bad rule, but it's not unheard of.
That is messed up because he will be playing both positions. If I had to guess you will see him more at DT than DE.

Signed,

The Ultimate Seahawks Homer

That is messed up because he will be playing both positions. If I had to guess you will see him more at DT than DE.

Signed,

this what happened to me, I drafted Bennett in my contract auction league which ended on august 28th... plenty of time for MFL to make their changes.

Bennett was a DT at that time, my line up requires a DT and now all I have is S Floyd, a rookie thats not even starting going up against my strongest Div opponent.

Oh Yeah, my waivers are locked until afterweek 1.

Maybe it is time to change sites.

Signed,

this what happened to me, I drafted Bennett in my contract auction league which ended on august 28th... plenty of time for MFL to make their changes.

Bennett was a DT at that time, my line up requires a DT and now all I have is S Floyd, a rookie thats not even starting going up against my strongest Div opponent.

I'd devote some time getting rid of that horrible no waivers until after week 1 rule.

Greg Russell said:
I agree completely. I put in a support ticket saying they should restrict positional changes to basically Monday night / Tuesday morning before waivers run. I'd encourage everyone else to as well.

But I won't get very up in arms http://forums.footballguys.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=688961about leagues that draft earlier than, say, Tuesday night, and then don't allow a waiver session before games start. To me, that's just poor setup for a league. NFL teams cut players on Saturday and there is still a ton of movement on Sunday as waivers happen. A lot of players may go from 4-3 DT to 3-4 DE, or 3-4 OLB to 4-3 DE in those 2-3 days. It's unrealistic to think a fantasy site won't need to do an update after last weekend.

But making a change the morning of the game, after most league's waivers are done? Very bad form. Should have waited until next week to do it if earlier wasn't an option.
did they respond, they pretty much responded to me with "this is how we do things, take it up with rotoworld".

MFL has gotten a little too successful, their not the mom & pop shop anymore that used to treat everyone like family; their turning into a big business and putting the ownness of their problem on another vendor. Their customer service this yr for me has been pretty bad. I have asked 3 things from them this yr and got blatant response of "we don't support that anymore" and "contact the other owner on how his homepage is set up".

Signed,

I'd devote some time getting rid of that horrible no waivers until after week 1 rule.
can't, its a unque set up where the commish does them by hand on wednesday nights since it deals with contracts and salaries.

I don't follow. If he can do them Wednesday night before each week's TNF game, why couldn't he do them manually last night before Week 1's TNF game?

I don't follow. If he can do them Wednesday night before each week's TNF game, why couldn't he do them manually last night before Week 1's TNF game?
idk, point is the waiver calander doesn't start till week 1. The league and commissioner of that league is not the problem here, the problem is the service charging $50 - $80 more than the other guys so they can provide good customer service and a product that makes you want to spend your money on. I'm not getting that anymore.

Two big problems...waivers that don't run until after week one. EVERY single player should be a free agent up until kickoff. Bigger problem then that...playing a contract/auction league. Don't blame MFL, blame your own league for it's rules/set up. Good thing the NFL acquires players via auction, isn't it?? :doh:

Two big problems...waivers that don't run until after week one. EVERY single player should be a free agent up until kickoff. Bigger problem then that...playing a contract/auction league. Don't blame MFL, blame your own league for it's rules/set up. Good thing the NFL acquires players via auction, isn't it?? :doh:
problem is changing your service the night of the game

Greg Russell said:

But I won't get very up in arms http://forums.footballguys.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=688961about leagues that draft earlier than, say, Tuesday night, and then don't allow a waiver session before games start. To me, that's just poor setup for a league. NFL teams cut players on Saturday and there is still a ton of movement on Sunday as waivers happen. A lot of players may go from 4-3 DT to 3-4 DE, or 3-4 OLB to 4-3 DE in those 2-3 days. It's unrealistic to think a fantasy site won't need to do an update after last weekend.

did they respond, they pretty much responded to me with "this is how we do things, take it up with rotoworld".

MFL has gotten a little too successful, their not the mom & pop shop anymore that used to treat everyone like family; their turning into a big business and putting the ownness of their problem on another vendor. Their customer service this yr for me has been pretty bad. I have asked 3 things from them this yr and got blatant response of "we don't support that anymore" and "contact the other owner on how his homepage is set up".
Just noticed they responded, was so quick (10 minutes after I submitted it) I actually thought it was the automated "we got your request" mail and didn't look at it.

Hi Greg,

Thanks for the feedback. We've made the last position updates right before the season starts the past couple of years, but I see last year with the Wednesday game they were a day earlier. We'll take that into account in the future.

- Mike

If your league rules assign positions by whatever My Fantasy League sets them at, you should have Zero complaint. It is the rule and you agree to that rule by playing in that league. Right? Right.

Bennett has been listed at DE throughout at nfl.com which is what my My Fantasy League leagues use. It is in the rules.

edit - if it isn't in your league rules about from where players get their position designations, take it up with your commissioner.

And one thing for the guy that works for MFL - position changes have definitely been made in season before on your site.

If your league rules assign positions by whatever My Fantasy League sets them at, you should have Zero complaint. It is the rule and you agree to that rule by playing in that league. Right? Right.

Bennett has been listed at DE throughout at nfl.com which is what my My Fantasy League leagues use. It is in the rules.

And one thing for the guy that works for MFL - position changes have definitely been made in season before on your site.
No, MFL uses Rotoworld's depth charts for their positions.

Yes my leagues at My Fantasy League use nfl.com for player designation

edit - if it isn't in your league rules about from where players get their position designations, take it up with your commissioner.

so MFL decided to wait until after all the drafts were complete and line up were submitted, thats great

Yes my leagues at My Fantasy League use nfl.com for player designation
Final Preseason Position Changes (Published Thu Sep 5 12:28:40 a.m. CT 2013) The following player position changes will be made on Thursday,, September 5th, to bring our player database up-to-date with the Rotoworld.com depth charts.

Anyone who has been in IDP leagues on MFL for any length of time has run into this before. MFL always makes positional changes just before the beginning of the season in the sake of accuracy. Those of us who played in the incredibly deep FBG's IDP Survivor leagues all had to deal with positional switches for DT/DE, DE/LB & S/CB.

I can appreciate the frustration with a positional switch for a key player on opening day, but the OP is also neglecting his responsibility in the process. This isn't your first rodeo Kelly... and you've known all summer that Bennett was not certain to remain eligible at DT. You took the risk, man up and take some responsibility too.

Good luck to Kelly and everyone with the kickoff of the season...

Anyone who has been in IDP leagues on MFL for any length of time has run into this before. MFL always makes positional changes just before the beginning of the season in the sake of accuracy. Those of us who played in the incredibly deep FBG's IDP Survivor leagues all had to deal with positional switches for DT/DE, DE/LB & S/CB.

I can appreciate the frustration with a positional switch for a key player on opening day, but the OP is also neglecting his responsibility in the process. This isn't your first rodeo Kelly... and you've known all summer that Bennett was not certain to remain eligible at DT. You took the risk, man up and take some responsibility too.

i did?

The point you're missing is that the rules/set up are working fine. We can control those. We can't control when MFL decides to make these changes.

I will be making adjustments to our rules to account for a poor choice by MFL. There are always problems that come up the first week of fantasy seasons. I just don't need the company we are paying, to create more.

i did?
Well, considering this is the 4th time his position has been changed since May...

Let me ask you, do you think its right if your commish just logged in and changed your player position without notice?

Maybe it has been happening for a couple of yrs, but it must of been with very minor players as it never effected me and no one in any of my 6 leagues that I run never pointed it out; when I contacted the commissioner in the other league I play in it was news to him to. All major player changes always have taken place by mid-august the latest, and if has been happening like this its not right and you as a customer should speak up. THERE IS NO REASON TO WAIT TILL OPENING DAY TO MAKE A CHANGE, NONE. If a player like Bennett was going to be changed to DE that could of been done a week or go the latest; what information was published last night that caused for a change?

I've never knew they made changes on the day of kickoff, the more people they write to them the more they'll be incline to change this policy and do it at a proper time. I wrote to my leagues and offered to undo any of theses that took place today if it effected their line ups.

i did?
YES, you did... :rolleyes:

Your attempt at ignorance is pretty pathetic. Below is your timeline of posts about Michael Bennett dating back to June. You've known his position was in question all summer and long BEFORE your draft but didn't want to hear that he was likely to end up at DE.

http://forums.footballguys.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=683062&p=15674460

http://forums.footballguys.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=683062&p=15767941

http://forums.footballguys.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=683062&p=15851153

A good craftsman never blames his tools... you're better than this Kelly. Take some ownership.

i did?

Your attempt at ignorance is pretty pathetic. Below is your timeline of posts about Michael Bennett dating back to June. You've known his position was in question all summer and long BEFORE your draft but didn't want to hear that he was likely to end up at DE.

A good craftsman never blames his tools... you're better than this Kelly. Take some ownership.
and I asked u, do you think its right to change something the day of kick off.

I saw Bennett changed early in May, but that was mostly due to the injuries at DE. With Clemons and Avril both practicing this week and it being the day of kickoff i had no fing idea he'd be changed. Thank you. If this was August 20th or something I'd have nothing to complain about.

Like I said, I had no idea they change stuff hours away from game time, and as soon as I found out i offered to undo them for my leagues.

There are so many things to worry about with injuries and suspensions; is my player's position going to change on the last day should not be one of them

If your commissioner changed your bylaws today, and every opening day from here on, and didn't tell you would it be right? Would you be pissed and write to them about how pissed you are or would you just shrug and say "thats the way it is"

If your commissioner changed your bylaws today, and every opening day from here on, and didn't tell you would it be right? Would you be pissed and write to them about how pissed you are or would you just shrug and say "thats the way it is"
Any potential rule changes should get a league vote, majority approved. Tie is a no go.

Any potential rule changes should get a league vote, majority approved. Tie is a no go.
yes, thats the proper way; not to just change something without notice. Look, I understand the position changes; and I understand MFL is becoming a big business and partnered up with rotoworld and turned the ownness of this headache to them. But there is no good reason to do it Today when it could of been done earlier.

Hi Ryan,

We've always handled it this way, since it is the only way to have the positions as up-to-date as possible. You are free to change any player position as needed in your individual league if it causes problems. See below for more info and details on that.

Thanks

Mike

####################################################################################

No, I have been using this site for almost 10 yrs and have not seen such a large amount of changes occur on Kickoff night... there are many leagues that have rules written to go by what your site states, including all 6 of the leagues I run and the 1 other that I'm in. I can see many league mates now getting upset with each other and debating now that a rule change needs to be made on kickoff night.

Also, many if not most leagues lock waivers until after week 1 so people just can't go pick up another player if they got screwed today.

As a commish of 6 leagues I shouldn't have to deal with this the night of kickoff while I'm paying $50 - $80 a pop per site, its WAY to late to change anything... I purchase your site over yahoo and espn to avoid stuff like this. These changes should of been done a week or 2 earlier! With all the information on the internet your telling me these changes had to occur now?
As long as I can remember, this has always been the case. Then again I only started using the site in 2004.

Hi Ryan,

Thanks

Mike

As long as I can remember, this has always been the case. Then again I only started using the site in 2004.
Listen to this guy. He's an FF Champ!

KellysHeroes said:
MFL did not suddenly change the rules. Look at your past leagues and you will see early September updates. A bit of googling reveals early September updates have happened since at least 2008.

Did you ever consider that maybe the majority of paying customer want an update before the season starts?

I'm surprised that a letter of the law type like you would not know the law, or would expect that the rule would be changed.

http://www.myfantasyleague.com/operations.php

Of note:

We compare our data with their depth charts in late August or early September and update our master player listings to match the information at Rotoworld.com. Any changes made to player positions at this time will be recorded in our Commissioner News section of the web site.
Any non-commishes can go to http://football24.myfantasyleague.com/2013/site_news?L=##### to check the latest updates.

If you bothered to check any of those sections even once in the last 10 years that you have been on the site, then none of these updates would have been a surprise to you.

I sure wish they would change Shaun Phillips and Terrel Suggs back to DE instead of LB. That would be great. Thanks.

So this is MFLs fault not Harbaugh's?

How bad is your team that you started Harper at WR and this matters?

i did?

What was the thread title of this last one?

I wasn't able to start Denard Robinson because we only allow D, K, QB, RB, WR, and TE. Thinking about starting a league with just OWs.

Users who are viewing this thread