What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Best tasting healthy cereal (1 Viewer)

The Dude

Footballguy
Looking to add a healthy cereal to the daily routine. Lot of them taste like you are eating hay. Good fiber content is a plus but not required,

Kasha GoLean Crunch! Honey Almond Flax.

Although I'm sure somebody's going to post about how it's bad for me on account of the gluten and whatnot.

I don't think its technically cereal but my go to almost every morning is a bowl of oatmeal with milk and raisins along with one equal packet to add some sweetness beyond just the raisins. I probably put more milk than most because I like it more like cereal rather than too thick.

Depends what youre looking to do. If youre looking to watch your wait, Id look for a cereal thats high in fiber but low in sugar. If thats the case, Fiber One Honey Clusters is the best bet IMO. On the one hand, its very high in fiber (14 grams!) which means it digests slowly, doesnt get stored as fat and is very filling. On the other hand, its still sweet and tasty due to the use of honey and splenda instead of sugar (only 5 Grams).

Kashi Island Vanilla Squares and Great Grains are both really good, but if you're going health, it's oatmeal. You'll get used to slogging that stuff down.

I don't think its technically cereal but my go to almost every morning is a bowl of oatmeal with milk and raisins along with one equal packet to add some sweetness beyond just the raisins. I probably put more milk than most because I like it more like cereal rather than too thick.
Never ate oat meal as a kid. I try to now 4 time a week. Oat meal, water, and some kind of frozen fruit. Microwave for ~2:30 and good to go.

'Cunk', on 18 Oct 2010 - 07:35 AM, said:

1. Drink a ton of water-I drink 4 gallons of water a day. I always make sure to tape a water bottle to my face so I can sip on it in between the gallons. 2. Eat 32 small meals a day. I eat some oatmeal at 7:12 then follow it up with a handful of almonds and 2 tablespoons of yogurt at 8:19. For lunch I nibble the crust of the bread, eat an apple and some yogurt with a handful of almonds. At 2:36 I eat a handful of almonds, fill a bathtub with water then drink it followed by a chaser of a handful of almonds. At 4:37 I eat my pre-supper which consists of half an apple, some figs and a handful of almonds. For supper I keep it light with some white chicken, half an avocado and a handful of almonds. During sleep time I have a system where I leave a handful of almondson my pillow so I can grab one with my tongue each 27 minutes until I awake. 3. DON'T EAT UNTIL AFTER YOU WORKOUT otherwise your working out will have no affect at all. If you jog before working out your workout will have gone to waste and you actually become obese. You must make sure you don't eat from 7:13pm the following evening then jog at 5:12 on an empty stomach. 4. You need to jump from the treadmill do some lat pulldowns, run around the gym as fast as you can for 25 minutes, do 2 sets of tris, 3 sets of lumbar push-ins and 5 sets of omni-squats. If you don't do this routine it doesn't matter how many handfuls of almonds you eat. You will wither into a weak human or become obese. 5. Give yourself a cheat day. Once every 3 months I allow myself a slice of pizza.

El Floppo said:
Kasha GoLean Crunch! Honey Almond Flax.

Although I'm sure somebody's going to post about how it's bad for me on account of the gluten and whatnot.
Yep

'Cunk', on 18 Oct 2010 - 07:35 AM, said:

1. Drink a ton of water-I drink 4 gallons of water a day. I always make sure to tape a water bottle to my face so I can sip on it in between the gallons. 2. Eat 32 small meals a day. I eat some oatmeal at 7:12 then follow it up with a handful of almonds and 2 tablespoons of yogurt at 8:19. For lunch I nibble the crust of the bread, eat an apple and some yogurt with a handful of almonds. At 2:36 I eat a handful of almonds, fill a bathtub with water then drink it followed by a chaser of a handful of almonds. At 4:37 I eat my pre-supper which consists of half an apple, some figs and a handful of almonds. For supper I keep it light with some white chicken, half an avocado and a handful of almonds. During sleep time I have a system where I leave a handful of almondson my pillow so I can grab one with my tongue each 27 minutes until I awake. 3. DON'T EAT UNTIL AFTER YOU WORKOUT otherwise your working out will have no affect at all. If you jog before working out your workout will have gone to waste and you actually become obese. You must make sure you don't eat from 7:13pm the following evening then jog at 5:12 on an empty stomach. 4. You need to jump from the treadmill do some lat pulldowns, run around the gym as fast as you can for 25 minutes, do 2 sets of tris, 3 sets of lumbar push-ins and 5 sets of omni-squats. If you don't do this routine it doesn't matter how many handfuls of almonds you eat. You will wither into a weak human or become obese. 5. Give yourself a cheat day. Once every 3 months I allow myself a slice of pizza.
I wish cunk posted more :(

Isnt gluten only harmful to certain people? Isnt it in anything made from wheat unless specifically removed?

These showed up on some fitness sites with good reviews:

Fiber One Nutty Clusters & Almonds"These are way too delicious to be healthy," one staffer declared. The nutrition facts prove otherwise: One bowl delivers close to half the fiber you need in a day. (180 calories per cup)

And this was interesting

Multi Grain Cheerios

110 calories, 2 g protein, 23 g carbs, 1 g fat, 3 g fiber

The familiar Cheerios shape reminded staffers of little doughnuts. And thanks to a light glaze, it didn't have the dry chalky taste many high-fi ber cereals possess. Instead, it's more like a decent quality multigrain bread. Decent, but not outstanding.

OUR EXPERT "'Multigrain' doesn't always mean a cereal's entirely whole grain, although this one guarantees at least 16 of the 48 grams of whole grain you need each day. And it saves you the multivitamin, since a serving contains 100% of your daily quota for B vitamins, iron, vitamin E, and zinc."

Shredded Wheat Bran. Add a handful of blueberries and toss in a few walnuts. High in Fiber, protein (to make you full) and the blueberries give it some taste and antioxidants.

We learned about breakfast cereal in marketing. The profit margins on it are amazing. It is basically a cheap commodity - agricultural surplus - that is then processed into something more marketable and profitable. Breakfast cereal is convenient, and marketers have us believe that it is intrinsically healthy, when in reality it is just cheap foodstuff that has to have any goodness artificially added - which is why you see that most of it has been fortified with nutrients that we could easily obtain elsewhere in our diet.

Breakfast cereal is basically an invention that was stumbled upon in the late 19th century and marketed as healthy when, in reality, it isn't really good for you. It actually contains compounds that bind to calcium and prevent it from being absorbed into the bloodstream. So when you eat your cereal with milk, it actually leads to less calcium absorption than just drinking the milk by itself.

NutterButter said:
No its not

NutterButter said:
No its not
Steel cut oats with cinnamon, nutmeg, brown sugar, maple syrup, raisins and milk is the bomb.

We learned about breakfast cereal in marketing. The profit margins on it are amazing. It is basically a cheap commodity - agricultural surplus - that is then processed into something more marketable and profitable. Breakfast cereal is convenient, and marketers have us believe that it is intrinsically healthy, when in reality it is just cheap foodstuff that has to have any goodness artificially added - which is why you see that most of it has been fortified with nutrients that we could easily obtain elsewhere in our diet.Breakfast cereal is basically an invention that was stumbled upon in the late 19th century and marketed as healthy when, in reality, it isn't really good for you. It actually contains compounds that bind to calcium and prevent it from being absorbed into the bloodstream. So when you eat your cereal with milk, it actually leads to less calcium absorption than just drinking the milk by itself.
The Kellogg brothers were very religious and created cereal as part of a diet of very bland foods whose purpose was to reduce sex drives...

Quaker 100% Natural Cereal w/ Oats, Honey, Raisins & AlmondsThe box weighs about 47 pounds, so you know it's good for you!

In terms of taste, I love Peace Cereal- Blueberry and Pomegranate. But I'm sure that's not too good for me.

Yeah, this is where I stand. If you're really trying to eat healthy, skip cereal altogether. Steel cut Oatmeal or some fruit in the morning instead.
I've been eating eggs and Greek yogurt with blackberries lately.A few months ago I'd eat an omelette, French toast or Belgian waffles, oatmeal, fruit, cottage cheese, bacon, coffee, fruit juice, a bagel with peanut butter, a banana, and yogurt most mornings. Then I'd be hungry around 10 and have second breakfast. Noon was lunch, 3 was snack time, 5-6 another snack before heading home for dinner (whatever the wife made), ice cream around 9.

Last edited by a moderator:
NutterButter said:
No its not
Steel cut oats with cinnamon, nutmeg, brown sugar, maple syrup, raisins and milk is the bomb.
You need more sugar.

NutterButter said:
No its not
You need more sugar.
I suppose I could have a bowl of cereal instead.

Users who are viewing this thread