What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Which NFL franchise is currently the most dysfunctional? (1 Viewer)

Which NFL franchise is currently the most dysfunctional?

• N.Y. Jets

Votes: 19 4.3%
  • Miami Dolphins

Votes: 40 9.0%
  • Cleveland Browns

Votes: 179 40.2%
  • Jacksonville Jaguars

Votes: 21 4.7%
  • Oakland Raiders

Votes: 86 19.3%
  • Washington Redskins

Votes: 59 13.3%
  • Detroit Lions

Votes: 22 4.9%
  • Other Team

Votes: 19 4.3%

• Total voters

Faust

MVP
This poll had the genesis in an argument that I had with another member in of one of my FF leagues.

I am just curious enough to take the topic to the Shark Pool and hear the thoughts and perspectives from the SP.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jags on this list is crazy.

It's the dolphins by a lot, number two is very debatable though.

I voted Browns. The only reason they win over Jax is because I believe Jax has been instituting some kind of football-specific saber metrics type analysis, which gets my vote because I like seeing new thinking and approaches. Cleveland is paying like 6 former coaches right now. No direction at all.

Browns at least have Ray Farmer as Assistant GM this year as he turned down the Dolphins GM job, incidentally, because they were dysfunctional. I know Ray so as crazy as it sounds he had rather stay in Cleveland as #2 than get a promotion. FWIW.

Browns at least have Ray Farmer as Assistant GM this year as he turned down the Dolphins GM job, incidentally, because they were dysfunctional. I know Ray so as crazy as it sounds he had rather stay in Cleveland as #2 than get a promotion. FWIW.
this is why it's Miami in a landslide.As bad as rthings seem in Cleveland he would rather stay there in a lesser role.

I'm going Lions.

Long term, not since 1957 have they made a championship game and even that year they went a meager 8-4 and then won a one game playoff after more or less refusing to renew the contract of the best coach they ever had, Buddy Parker.

For this season it was the Dolphins by a mile

For the last 10 years it has been the Raiders and Browns

For the last 50 years it has been the Lions by a mile.

I can't see how my Browns don't run away with this in a landslide.

The question does say "currently".

With all due respect to the Dolphins me either.
haha

I mean, just gonna take a few seconds and rattle a couple things off the top of my head before I go to work, just from the past couple years.

Shurmur, worst coaching hire of all time. ALL TIME. Never seen a dumber coach, or listened to a dumber coach speak during the week.

Ownership change. Previous owner cared more about his soccer team than the Browns. Holmgren comes in being paid 10 million a year, hires a few complete bums and sits on his #### doing nothing. He got 10 million a year to do 15 minutes worth of work, and he did that work poorly.

New owner who bought the team with stolen money, and he may very well go to prison. Hires a coach, fires a coach. Hires a team president that is a control freak, and a GM with avery long track record and no actual success.

We had picks 3 and 24 a couple years ago and both picks were huge busts. Had a chance to really help the team but take a RB at pick 3 and a 29 year old QB with a late 1st. CLeary the GM at the time was doing nothing more than trying to save his job for one more year.

Now we cant get any coaches we want for the 2nd year in a row, in this case firing a coach and hiring a worse coach (who knows if he is or not I guess, but certainly no other team would hire him).

We signed Bess to a big deal a week after he was released from the freekin psych ward.

List goes on and on and on and on. And no some of our top players probably wont re-sign with us because we suck, and our idiot front office doesnt want to pay them.

The dysfunction starts with the owner and goes all the way down to our journeyman kickers. Criminal owner, power trip presedent, blow hard GM, no name coaches, worst QBs in the league, worst RBs in the league, great WR with substance problems, pro bowlers who want to leave, signing players out of a straight jacket............................................................

I missed probably 20 things, just dont have enough time

I'm going Lions.

Long term, not since 1957 have they made a championship game and even that year they went a meager 8-4 and then won a one game playoff after more or less refusing to renew the contract of the best coach they ever had, Buddy Parker.
:goodposting:

Also the most established team never to even make it to a Super Bowl.

I'm going Lions.

:goodposting:

Also the most established team never to even make it to a Super Bowl.
I will go with the Lions as well. They fire the worst GM in the history of football and hired the guy he mentored to run the team.

There are so many right answers to the question but I'll go quickly thru the bigger culprits.

1. Dallas Cowboys: To me and this is coming from a Miami Dolphins fan…it is hard to imagine the kool-aid that fan base is drinking for the last 15+ years as Jerry jones ego is even bigger than the new stadium. The only thing that Miami could do worse IMO would be if Stephen Ross anointed himself as the GM of the team. And judging from the amount of people who turned down the Miami job you have to wonder if maybe Ross told some of them that he really is in charge of everything.

Jerry Jones is a clown and to think for a second that any GM with his track record would even have a job let alone from Jerry Jones! He should fire himself but he's too stupid to realize that he is the absolute biggest reason why Dallas cannot remain relevant other than a punchline for any numerous jokes. Jerry Jones continuing to keep himself on as team GM and running all the front office is like Fidel rigging the elections in Cuba and then acting like it's normal or fair.

2. Miami Dolphins: I cannot believe how bad things have gone for them since the end of the season and the end of Jeff Ireland. They are turned down by just about every person out there except a guy who was in the process of being fired by the TB Bucs and has ZERO GM experience in the last 18 years he has been in NFL front offices. He was demoted before this past season in Tampa and most seemed to know he was destined to be fired. But here comes the Miami Dolphins to the rescue.

This team even tried to get help form the Cleveland Browns and were denied the guy they wanted in Farmer. This team goes from bad to worse every step they can. Now the players are wanting out of Miami, suddenly South Beach has become a tough sell. Ross is a joke and the fact this 72 year old buffoon has the keys to the stadium and team only makes matters worse. All we can do is not support the team but that feels wrong.

3. Cleveland: A few posts up Ghostguy made some great statements so I'll let those speak for the Browns.

Honorable Mention: Oakland Raiders…they are gonna be in great shape to turn rings around quick.

The Dolphins can't even hire a GM without finding a guy about to be fired. The owner cares so little about the team, he goes to the UK to screw around while holding up the GM search. The team's old GM promoted hazing and now several players don't even want to play there anymore. They have to pay massive bonus money to players willing to go to Miami and that was before the team melted down. They may not even field a complete team in 2014 due to lack of interest.

haha

I mean, just gonna take a few seconds and rattle a couple things off the top of my head before I go to work, just from the past couple years.

Shurmur, worst coaching hire of all time. ALL TIME. Never seen a dumber coach, or listened to a dumber coach speak during the week.

Ownership change. Previous owner cared more about his soccer team than the Browns. Holmgren comes in being paid 10 million a year, hires a few complete bums and sits on his #### doing nothing. He got 10 million a year to do 15 minutes worth of work, and he did that work poorly.

New owner who bought the team with stolen money, and he may very well go to prison. Hires a coach, fires a coach. Hires a team president that is a control freak, and a GM with avery long track record and no actual success.

We had picks 3 and 24 a couple years ago and both picks were huge busts. Had a chance to really help the team but take a RB at pick 3 and a 29 year old QB with a late 1st. CLeary the GM at the time was doing nothing more than trying to save his job for one more year.

Now we cant get any coaches we want for the 2nd year in a row, in this case firing a coach and hiring a worse coach (who knows if he is or not I guess, but certainly no other team would hire him).

We signed Bess to a big deal a week after he was released from the freekin psych ward.

List goes on and on and on and on. And no some of our top players probably wont re-sign with us because we suck, and our idiot front office doesnt want to pay them.

The dysfunction starts with the owner and goes all the way down to our journeyman kickers. Criminal owner, power trip presedent, blow hard GM, no name coaches, worst QBs in the league, worst RBs in the league, great WR with substance problems, pro bowlers who want to leave, signing players out of a straight jacket............................................................

:lmao: I could bold every line :lol: Whats with hiring so many former Patriots assistants/GMs? I thought McDaniels was a lock as the next coach. And you guy would give up the farm for Mallet.

Browns or Dolphins and 3rd isn't even close.

Lions get the lifetime achievement award. The Ford's are the worst owners in any sport. Embarrassing.

haha

It's my understanding that the Dolphins didn't send a coach or have anyone from the front office at the senior bowl. Top that. Plus Martingate, the Harbaugh debacle, continually firing a gm or coach (but never both at the same time), last offseason's horrible free agent signings, multiple guys turning down their gm job (probably a first in league history), the dumbest owner in the league, etc.

For me they are a tie and 2 of the biggest train wrecks ever. The owners are awful, the front offices are a mess, the coaches are unstable. The amazing thing is that both teams have a decent amount of talent but with all of the problems, they'll probably waste it.

A lot of these teams, maybe all of them ,we're really talking about ownership.

Ownership can and often does change.

The fans on this list that face the biggest challenges IMO are the Lions, Cowboys and Redskins. Those owners are not going anywhere. The Boys and Skins appear to have zero chance of ever bringing in a GM that can work with the owner in an autonomous manner. The Lions - well it's been since 1957, and this is what they have: playoff games in 1970, 1982-83, 1993-95, 1997, 1999, 2011. Six of the 10 seasons they got in with 9 or fewer wins. So 4 seasons with 10 wins or more 60 years. They are 1-10 in the playoffs since 1957. No one is more dysfunctional than that.

It's my understanding that the Dolphins didn't send a coach or have anyone from the front office at the senior bowl. Top that.
I am pretty sure the Browns didn't send anyone to the senior bowl last year. I actually dont even think we had any scouts on the payroll. At least I think it was the senior bowl. I remember the local sportstalk guys talking about the Browns being the only team in the league to not send a coach or GM to SOMETHING last year, and I think it was the senior bowl.

Maybe someone will remember for sure.

Really though, I can't see how the Browns don't just run away with this. Really it's not close IMO. The dysfunction is at every level of the front office and has been for 15 years straight now, inept coaches, never a QB worth more than 5 cents, never winning, and several other ridiculously embarrassing things mixed in along the way.

I mean, the owner bought the team with money he stole from his other business and could go to prison. Can anyone else say that?

And in some of the cases, dysfunction isn't even a strong enough word for what is going one. Their level of dysfunction has my Geiger Counter batteries dying every few days.

Oakland or Jax IMO. The Lions are fielding a competitive product and the Browns at least have some talented players. Everyone on the poll list had some hope this year and were at least remotely in the playoff hunt, the Jags and Raiders were pretty much eliminated by mid season. Neither team has a QB on the roster they will successful with.

It's my understanding that the Dolphins didn't send a coach or have anyone from the front office at the senior bowl. Top that.
I am pretty sure the Browns didn't send anyone to the senior bowl last year. I actually dont even think we had any scouts on the payroll. At least I think it was the senior bowl. I remember the local sportstalk guys talking about the Browns being the only team in the league to not send a coach or GM to SOMETHING last year, and I think it was the senior bowl.

the scouts on payroll were lame ducks working out their contract through may. Heard rumors they didn't take the SR bowl seriously at all.

Oakland or Jax IMO. The Lions are fielding a competitive product and the Browns at least have some talented players. Everyone on the poll list had some hope this year and were at least remotely in the playoff hunt, the Jags and Raiders were pretty much eliminated by mid season. Neither team has a QB on the roster they will successful with.
jax is headed in the right direction, love their leadership. Just need a qb.

the scouts on payroll were lame ducks working out their contract through may. Heard rumors they didn't take the SR bowl seriously at all.
Ever notice we never have a Gm, Coaches, QB who ever have a "full offseason" together?

Currently? I had to vote Cleveland. This is a management team that couldn't even wait until the last Sunday night game was over before firing the coach. Even if Chud deserved it, it's the kind of signal to every coaching candidate in the league to stay away - far away, especially with Chud having only 1 year in command. Even with that wonderful 12 hour head start, candidate after candidate passed this team by - even though there were what, 4, I think pro-bowlers (3 of whom were prime picks in the Pro Bowl draft) and an extra first round pick to work with from the get go. Guys pulling themselves out of the running without even talking to them. What's it been, like 1 playoff appearance since they became the 32nd team? I mean they got like their 6th choice for Head Coach, a guy not considered for other jobs who was pining for this one, and they almost had HIM blow them off.

Sure there are teams with long-running issues (like the Lions and Cowboys and Dolphins - and yeah the Dolphins come pretty close) but for the moment Cleveland is the complete package.

-QG

Current regime inherited a true mess but at least the Jags have a plan in place and Caldwell and Gus work well together. The fact that they could get 4 wins with that roster speaks to how well Caldwell was able to scrape together guys who fit Gus' scheme.

JaxBill said:
BassNBrew said:
Current regime inherited a true mess but at least the Jags have a plan in place and Caldwell and Gus work well together. The fact that they could get 4 wins with that roster speaks to how well Caldwell was able to scrape together guys who fit Gus' scheme.
yes

There are so many right answers to the question but I'll go quickly thru the bigger culprits.

1. Dallas Cowboys: To me and this is coming from a Miami Dolphins fan…it is hard to imagine the kool-aid that fan base is drinking for the last 15+ years as Jerry jones ego is even bigger than the new stadium. The only thing that Miami could do worse IMO would be if Stephen Ross anointed himself as the GM of the team. And judging from the amount of people who turned down the Miami job you have to wonder if maybe Ross told some of them that he really is in charge of everything.

Jerry Jones is a clown and to think for a second that any GM with his track record would even have a job let alone from Jerry Jones! He should fire himself but he's too stupid to realize that he is the absolute biggest reason why Dallas cannot remain relevant other than a punchline for any numerous jokes. Jerry Jones continuing to keep himself on as team GM and running all the front office is like Fidel rigging the elections in Cuba and then acting like it's normal or fair.

I've got to agree it's Dallas. Very frustrating being a fan. I'm not a homer who drinks the Jerry kool aid every year. I'm just a very disappointed fan that gets his expectations up only to be let down every year.

For what it's worth, three years ago, the answer to this question probably would have been Denver. They had just fired Josh McDaniels over another videotaping scandal, and had gone 6-20 in their last 26 games after opening the previous season 6-0. McDaniels had turned the franchise into a joke. He cut a perfectly serviceable long-snapper and signed the former Patriots' long-snapper to the richest contract ever given a long-snapper. He traded a future first to draft a player in the second, then traded that player away the very next season for a 7th. He spent another 2nd rounder on a blocking TE. He traded up to draft Tim Tebow, then glued him to the bench, leaving behind a Tebow/Orton QB controversy. To rebuild the team, Denver hired a former player with absolutely no further NFL experience and the only coach in the league to post a worse record than the Broncos. They were clearly the most dysfunctional franchise in the league. Things are capable of turning around in a hurry in the NFL...

For what it's worth, three years ago, the answer to this question probably would have been Denver. They had just fired Josh McDaniels over another videotaping scandal, and had gone 6-20 in their last 26 games after opening the previous season 6-0. McDaniels had turned the franchise into a joke. He cut a perfectly serviceable long-snapper and signed the former Patriots' long-snapper to the richest contract ever given a long-snapper. He traded a future first to draft a player in the second, then traded that player away the very next season for a 7th. He spent another 2nd rounder on a blocking TE. He traded up to draft Tim Tebow, then glued him to the bench, leaving behind a Tebow/Orton QB controversy. To rebuild the team, Denver hired a former player with absolutely no further NFL experience and the only coach in the league to post a worse record than the Broncos. They were clearly the most dysfunctional franchise in the league. Things are capable of turning around in a hurry in the NFL...
Which is why the Lions are so frustrating. The Lions have been "a team on the rise" for the last couple decades (or so it feels), yet can't win. The franchise has been an individual player highlight reel but seem to never get a decent supporting cast. Even when they do have a good team, they blow it.

Currently? I had to vote Cleveland. This is a management team that couldn't even wait until the last Sunday night game was over before firing the coach. Even if Chud deserved it, it's the kind of signal to every coaching candidate in the league to stay away - far away, especially with Chud having only 1 year in command. Even with that wonderful 12 hour head start, candidate after candidate passed this team by - even though there were what, 4, I think pro-bowlers (3 of whom were prime picks in the Pro Bowl draft) and an extra first round pick to work with from the get go. Guys pulling themselves out of the running without even talking to them. What's it been, like 1 playoff appearance since they became the 32nd team? I mean they got like their 6th choice for Head Coach, a guy not considered for other jobs who was pining for this one, and they almost had HIM blow them off.

Sure there are teams with long-running issues (like the Lions and Cowboys and Dolphins - and yeah the Dolphins come pretty close) but for the moment Cleveland is the complete package.

-QG
The Cowboys "long-running issues" don't come close to the Lions.

good stuff...all it takes is a HOF QB to turn things around! lol

good stuff...all it takes is a HOF QB to turn things around! lol
Well, yeah, that's certainly one way to do it, although it's also worth pointing out that the two teams in the NFCCG this year were equally terrible 3 years ago. Seattle's previous 3 years had seen 4, 5, and 7 wins. San Francisco had gone 8 years without making the playoffs, and was just ending the Mike Singletary debacle. Carolina was 2-14, stuck with an owner who had gutted the franchise for a buck, and just beginning to decide that the way to win in today's NFL was to pay $80 million to RBs. When Drew Brees went to New Orleans, there was talk of moving them to San Antonio. There are lots of examples of truly terrible franchises that turned things around within 2 years, but pretty much every example involves the team either landing an elite quarterback or an elite head coach. Peyton Manning and Drew Brees aren't available in free agency every year, but there are Cam Newtons and Andrew Lucks and Russell Wilsons and Colin Kaepernicks available in the draft, and there are always Jim Harbaughs and Pete Carrolls and Sean Peytons and Chip Kellys in the potential head coach pool.

Some bad teams are cursed and will remain bad for long stretches, but I think pretty much every team in the league is really just a quarterback and/or a head coach away from competing for titles.

Cleveland's dysfunction is more ingrained though - it's not merely a blip on the screen. Denver getting things back together is much less of a surprise. It'd be like saying Pittsburgh was the most dysfunctional after they were 0-4 or something.

Denver stepped on a rake or two a couple years ago. Cleveland lives in a maze entirely consisting of rakes for them to step on.

-QG

Browns for sure.

My top 3 would be:

Cleveland

Miami

Dallas

What did Dallas just do with their coaching staff? What are Callahan and Kiffin going to do now? They're WAY over the salary cap for the 100th year in a row it seems and Jerry is the worst GM in sports. Say what you want about Snyder meddling, but Jones is far worse.

good candidates all, but you have to give the Lifetime Achievemant award in this category to the Raiders.

Cleveland's dysfunction is more ingrained though - it's not merely a blip on the screen. Denver getting things back together is much less of a surprise. It'd be like saying Pittsburgh was the most dysfunctional after they were 0-4 or something.

Denver stepped on a rake or two a couple years ago. Cleveland lives in a maze entirely consisting of rakes for them to step on.

-QG
True, and as I said, ownership issues cannot be underrated. Everything starts and ends with the owner. The reason Denver and Pittsburgh always rebound from tough times is because of the quality of their ownership. The reason Arizona, Cincinnati, and Detroit can never break through the glass ceiling is because of how awful their ownership is. Right now, Cleveland's owner has a lot bigger things on his mind than football. A year from now, who knows who Cleveland's owner will even be. This has the potential to get all sorts of ugly before it sorts itself out.

good candidates all, but you have to give the Lifetime Achievemant award in this category to the Raiders.
Lifetime? As bad as things have gotten there they've still go the Madden and Flores years to look back on and have been to the Super Bowl in the last 15 year.

-QG

Someone should start a poll on who people dislike more: Jerry Jones or Roger Goodell.

I swear every thread I go into in the SP has people excessively whining about either one (or both).

Sure, if you're 10 years old. Otherwise, we're talking about a franchise with a 53.5% lifetime winning percentage, five superbowl appearances, three league championships, and a fistful of Hall of Famers (Otto, Shell, Brown, Madden, Upshaw, Biletnikoff, Long, Hendricks, Allen, pretty soon Guy, eventually Davis, and I'm sure I'm still missing some), in addition to many more HoF finalists (Brown, Wisniewski, Hayes, etc.)

Compare that to the Arizona Cardinals and their 41.9% lifetime winning percentage, who have been in existence since 1920 and have made the playoffs 8 times. Not a typo. Eight. Although, in fairness, they did win a league championship back in 1925 when it was awarded to the team with the best overall record (i.e. no postseason). They went 11-2-1 that year, with wins over the Milwaukee Badgers, Columbus Tigers, Kansas City Cowboys, Duluth Kelleys, Buffalo Bisons, Dayton City Triangles, Rock Island Independents, and Hammond Pros. It was probably the high point in franchise history.

Users who are viewing this thread