What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Grilling and Smoking Thread*** (2 Viewers)

Softballguy said:
bryhamm said:
Ribs and bacon wrapped rings today on the weber smokey mountain. 5 hours for the ribs and 1-2 for the rings. Let's getter rolling!
what are bacon wrapped rings?
Pure awesomeness.
What sauce is that?
:confused: Did you not read it?
My B, I quoted the wrong link. I meant this one, the sauce looked redder.
Chipotle mayo for dipping. I don't use sriracha either for coating the onions, I can't stand anything that has a hit of horseradish. I just use regular hot sauce.

Thermapen purchased. Now looking at the various Maverick options. Gonna be some serious parties at Smails'!!

Which Maverick dual probe to get??

Thermapen purchased. Now looking at the various Maverick options. Gonna be some serious parties at Smails'!!

i have the et 732 and it works great. i get the sense I'll have to replace the probes at some point but i have gotten heavy use out of it for about a year so far

i have the et 732 and it works great. i get the sense I'll have to replace the probes at some point but i have gotten heavy use out of it for about a year so far
I've had the 732 for a couple of years now with no issue. The other day the grill probe read HHH until I straightened it out. That one might be going. The replacement probes together cost almost as much as a new unit. But at least they're 6 foot probes, unlike the short 3 footers that come with it. I always have to pull the BBQ probe most of the way out just to open the lid.

Newb question. If I'm smoking 5-6 lbs of roast and 5-6 lbs of pork ribs at the same time, are my cooking times affected? I've smoked both items separately in the past, so I have a rough idea on how long I'd cook both. Just want to make sure I understand how the cooking time could be affected by doubling the weight of food being smoked?

Newb question. If I'm smoking 5-6 lbs of roast and 5-6 lbs of pork ribs at the same time, are my cooking times affected? I've smoked both items separately in the past, so I have a rough idea on how long I'd cook both. Just want to make sure I understand how the cooking time could be affected by doubling the weight of food being smoked?
Should have no effect other than lowering your temp when the food is first put on, once the smoker/grill gets back to temp its all the same

Should have no effect other than lowering your temp when the food is first put on, once the smoker/grill gets back to temp its all the same
Thanks

Not directly grilling related but I had the worst burger I ever paid for at Red Robin yesterday. Really, just horrible.
Those are God awful. Beef is dry and flavorless, buns are uneventful. Toppings are usually pretty good. And a burger wrapped in paper in a basket should be reserved for "fast food", not a sit down place like RR.
To get the horrible taste memory out of my head, I stopped at the store yesterday and bought around 3/4 lb of ground beef. Made 2 patties, cooked each individually with their own slice of melted cheese (sharp white cheddar, Habanero Jack) stacked them added bacon and avocado and put them on a pretzel bun with mayo and ketchup. Melty, gooey, wonderfulness. Same cost as what I paid at RR and 1000X better. It was also around 1100 calories so I'm calling that one a "cheat day". Had to be done.

bryhamm said:
snitwitch said:
Judge Smails said:

maybe that's my problem.
I got the same HHH reading someone above got (or was it LLL?). Had to clean a little gunk off the grate probe and straighten the cord, and while it works well again now, I get the sense I'll have to replace it soon. I think they're around 15-20 bucks

Can anyone recommend a rotisserie for an ~33 inch 5 burrner grill? Mine does have a burner on the back specifically for a rotisserie. I was looking for a Kenmore to match my grill, but they don't seem to be easily attainable.

TIA

Bacon wrapped rings are ready for the grill! :thumbup:
Came out really good but next time I need to cut the onions thicker. Like the 1 inch recommended. I cut them smaller and there wasn't a lot left of them inside the bacon. Also next time I'm going to put them on a burger!

My sister and I bought 2 of these for my Dad for father's day

http://www.lowes.com/pd_538510-55738-3DSSWM2013_0__?productId=50109238&Ntt=work+benches&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNtt%3Dwork%2Bbenches&facetInfo=

I went to Lowes to pick them up and the first thing I though when I saw them was, ' Man that would be a great food prep table' and so it began :cool:

If you compare the cost to the what most restaurant stores are charging for a stainless steel prep table this is a steal.

Going this Saturday to pick up one for myself, load it up with spatchulas, tongs, pig tails and what not and give it a test run before the first NFL Sunday

How much pork shoulder do I need for a party of approx. 100? There will be plenty of beer and sides, but the pulled pork is the main item and I don't want to risk running out. Also, is there any downside to doing the cook on Saturday and re-heating for a Sunday afternoon party? Any tips for this/

tia

How much pork shoulder do I need for a party of approx. 100? There will be plenty of beer and sides, but the pulled pork is the main item and I don't want to risk running out. Also, is there any downside to doing the cook on Saturday and re-heating for a Sunday afternoon party? Any tips for this/

tia
Typical yeild for Boston Butt is 1/2 LB per pound purchased so for instance a 9 LB butt should yeild 4.5 LBs of finished product.

I'd say a good serving of PP would be 10 OZ per person, so you would need 1000 oz of finished product or around 63 LBs. I would suggest buying around 130 LB of Boston Butt, you should be able to get it at $1.98 a LB buying this much so around $250-$275.

Nothing wrong with cooking it Sat and double foiling it and then reheating it for Sunday.

tia
Depending on how into the Pork all 100 people are going to be I would say you want 6 of the standard Costco Butts (3 packages). If you want to be extra safe, go with 8.

Ideally you'd cook all night, and take them out around around 10AM, wrap them and stick them in a cooler until you are ready to pull and serve in the afternoon. When I've done all night cooks, I usually set my alarm to check every few hours. If you have a good smoker, you shouldn't have to do that much.

I'm doing a Slider day this Sunday for the games and am looking for some ideas. So far I have

Pulled Pork

Philly Cheese Steak

Hamburger

Grilled Chickn Breast

Fried Chickn Breast

Somked Turkey

Smoke Ham

I'll make some slaw, home fries and onion strings to go with these along with an assortment of cheese slices.

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I'm doing a Slider day this Sunday for the games and am looking for some ideas. So far I have

Pulled Pork

Philly Cheese Steak

Hamburger

Grilled Chickn Breast

Fried Chickn Breast

Somked Turkey

Smoke Ham

I'll make some slaw, home fries and onion strings to go with these along with an assortment of cheese slices.

What's the secret for making sliders?

Pulled Pork

Philly Cheese Steak

Hamburger

Grilled Chickn Breast

Fried Chickn Breast

Somked Turkey

Smoke Ham

Looks like you got the meats covered. Some kind of smoked fish fillet? Or maybe Italian sausage chunked and then sliced legthwise?

Maybe adding some grilled mushrooms for the condiments?

Pulled Pork

Philly Cheese Steak

Hamburger

Grilled Chickn Breast

Fried Chickn Breast

Somked Turkey

Smoke Ham

just making smaller versions of a standard burger/sandwich, I'll use dinner rolls, yeast and Hawian along with stadard smaller buns

Pulled Pork

Philly Cheese Steak

Hamburger

Grilled Chickn Breast

Fried Chickn Breast

Somked Turkey

Smoke Ham

Plenty of sauteed onions (and grease) if you really want them to "slide".

Pulled Pork

Philly Cheese Steak

Hamburger

Grilled Chickn Breast

Fried Chickn Breast

Somked Turkey

Smoke Ham

Looks like you got the meats covered. Some kind of smoked fish fillet? Or maybe Italian sausage chunked and then sliced legthwise?

Maybe a poboy option, flounder or shrimp

Pulled Pork

Philly Cheese Steak

Hamburger

Grilled Chickn Breast

Fried Chickn Breast

Somked Turkey

Smoke Ham

Maybe a poboy option, flounder or shrimp
Big fan of the po'boys. My secret ingredient is finely crushed potato chips as your "breadcrumbs". Dredge in seasoned flour, dip in egg-wash, coat with crushed potato chips and fry. Add a little minced parsely to the chip crumbs to fancy it up if you like.

Pulled Pork

Philly Cheese Steak

Hamburger

Grilled Chickn Breast

Fried Chickn Breast

Somked Turkey

Smoke Ham

just making smaller versions of a standard burger/sandwich, I'll use dinner rolls, yeast and Hawian along with stadard smaller buns
I like to use a butter cooking spray and a mix of garlic powder, garlic salt, and onion powder.. then toasting them a bit in the oven. Simple touch that adds texture, a bit of flavor, and helps protect the roll from soaking.

Beer can chicken... thoughts?

1. Is it necessary, can you taste a difference or is it a waste of beer?

2. Do it on grill or smoker (smoked beer can chicken?).. or just in the oven?

3. Do you brine your chicken first or is the beer supposed to keep the meat moist?

4. Any beer will do or do you need something dark like Guinness?

3. Do you brine your chicken first or is the beer supposed to keep the meat moist?

1. Its more for moisture than it is for taste

2. It's more a smoked technique than a grilling one

3. I tend to brine all poultry but it's not necessary

4. any can liquid will do, I often use Mt. Dew or Dr Pepper just for a change of pace

1. Its more for moisture than it is for taste2. It's more a smoked technique than a grilling one

4. any can liquid will do, I often use Mt. Dew or Dr Pepper just for a change of pace
Thanks.. I figure if I brine the bird then there is no reason to actually use a can of beer or any other liquid. Brined chicken always comes out moist and tasty in my experience.

Debunked here?

1. Its more for moisture than it is for taste2. It's more a smoked technique than a grilling one

Debunked here?
Yeah. I have read meathead's article on the amazingribs.com site. Just wondered if you guys had definite yays or nays.

IMO you can use a can of anything... soda, beer, etc. Im guessing water would work too but I've never tried so don't know if it works as well.

Smoker or oven works fine.

Definitely still brine the bird. IMO brining a bird is the single greatest factor in ensuring moist/tasty yardbird.

See 1.

Debunked here?
LOL, no one I know uses an entire beer or can of whatever, about half is all that is needed. I use this method more for space than anything, the can allows me to have the bird sit verticle thus allowing me to get more birds on the smoker and lastly being verticle means no part of the chicken is touching the grate(s) allowing for a crispy skin all around.

My prefered cooking method for whole chicken is spatchcocking them but to say beer can chicken method is a waste is simple seeing things with a closed mind.

Debunked here?
LOL, no one I know uses an entire beer or can of whatever, about half is all that is needed. I use this method more for space than anything, the can allows me to have the bird sit verticle thus allowing me to get more birds on the smoker and lastly being verticle means no part of the chicken is touching the grate(s) allowing for a crispy skin all around.My prefered cooking method for whole chicken is spatchcocking them but to say beer can chicken method is a waste is simple seeing things with a closed mind.
My wife bought me a beer can rack and even if I do not use a can of beer in it, I will certainly use the rack so that the chicken is vertical in the smoker. I think this will allow more even cooking and also help with crisping up the skin.

Debunked here?
LOL, no one I know uses an entire beer or can of whatever, about half is all that is needed. I use this method more for space than anything, the can allows me to have the bird sit verticle thus allowing me to get more birds on the smoker and lastly being verticle means no part of the chicken is touching the grate(s) allowing for a crispy skin all around.

My prefered cooking method for whole chicken is spatchcocking them but to say beer can chicken method is a waste is simple seeing things with a closed mind.
I have fallen in love with doing it this way.

Debunked here?

Do you do anything to the skin like buttering it to get it crispy on the smoker?

Debunked here?
LOL, no one I know uses an entire beer or can of whatever, about half is all that is needed. I use this method more for space than anything, the can allows me to have the bird sit verticle thus allowing me to get more birds on the smoker and lastly being verticle means no part of the chicken is touching the grate(s) allowing for a crispy skin all around.My prefered cooking method for whole chicken is spatchcocking them but to say beer can chicken method is a waste is simple seeing things with a closed mind.
Do you do anything to the skin like buttering it to get it crispy on the smoker?
I've found that higher cooking temps result in crispy skin. Some like low and slow like 225 degrees. I prefer hotter temps for chicken. Pork, low and slow. But for chicken I go 275-300 and above if the smoker will get that hot.

Debunked here?
I've found that higher cooking temps result in crispy skin. Some like low and slow like 225 degrees. I prefer hotter temps for chicken. Pork, low and slow. But for chicken I go 275-300 and above if the smoker will get that hot.
I agree with Jayrok, smoking at 275 for about 4 hours gives me the skin I'm looking for. Yes I use a compound butter both below the skin and on top of the skin but you can simply use a paper towl soaked with some olive oil and rub the skin down prior to cooking for a crispier skin.

Thanks.. I figure if I brine the bird then there is no reason to actually use a can of beer or any other liquid. Brined chicken always comes out moist and tasty in my experience.
With a beer can chicken, you (likely) won't want to smoke it for the entire cooking period. I did that in error with my first attempt and the smoke flavor really over powered the chicken.

With a beer can chicken, you (likely) won't want to smoke it for the entire cooking period. I did that in error with my first attempt and the smoke flavor really over powered the chicken.
It's never been an issue for me, my guess is that if you are getting a bitter or oversmokey flavor its not because of time but rather a issues with air flow. Smoldering wood is bad and will cause this flavor, increasing the air flow by adjusting your bottom dampers will remendy this. You want blue smoke, not white.

It's never been an issue for me, my guess is that if you are getting a bitter or oversmokey flavor its not because of time but rather a issues with air flow. Smoldering wood is bad and will cause this flavor, increasing the air flow by adjusting your bottom dampers will remendy this. You want blue smoke, not white.
This... if you're rolling thick white smoke you've probably got a problem with your fire. Thinner smoke should be your goal.

"Smokin' in the John" BBQ...myself and BigJohn got a call at today's Trotwood OH BBQ contest. Third place in Ribs out of 15 teams. Thank you to McClures BBQ, as I used their rubs on my ribs. BigJohn's chicken was to die for! We won $175.00 and now have some street cred going into next year!

"Smokin' in the John" BBQ...myself and BigJohn got a call at today's Trotwood OH BBQ contest. Third place in Ribs out of 15 teams. Thank you to McClures BBQ, as I used their rubs on my ribs. BigJohn's chicken was to die for! We won $175.00 and now have some street cred going into next year!
Congrats guys! The pulled pork damn fine at the draft - you got a good thing going!

Users who are viewing this thread