What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2014 Rookie 1.03 (Post Combine) (1 Viewer)

Who is rookie pick 1.03 in Start 2 QB Scoring?

• QB Blake Bortles

Votes: 37 32.2%
  • QB Derek Carr

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • QB Jimmy Garoppolo

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • QB Zach Mettenberger

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • RB Carlos Hyde

• RB Bishop Sankey

• RB Lache Seastrunk

• RB Tre Mason

• RB Ka'Deem Carey

• WR Sammy Watkins

Votes: 37 32.2%
  • WR Marqise Lee

• WR Mike Evans

• TE Eric Ebron

• Other

• Don't play - No vote

Votes: 31 27.0%

• Total voters
Are we drafting as if we start 2 RBs, 4 WRs and have 2 flex spots? What is the thought as how we should be thinking when selecting?

Last edited by a moderator:
Are we drafting as if we start 2 RBs, 4 WRs and have 2 flex spots? What is the thought as how we should be thinking when selecting?
Excellent question.

I would think that you should vote as if you had the 1.03 rookie pick in the league format that you play in.

I play in some super flex leagues (I assume that's what we are discussing here w/ 2 QB) and I don't think the top 3 QBs would or should go with the first 3 picks.

A top WR like Watkins still has a ton of value and QB is really deep right now.

I'm just thinking about one of my super flex teams (as a real life example, 12 team PPR) that needs a QB and it comes down to:

Would I rather replace a Carson Palmer/Mike Glennon platoon at QB2 with a guy like Bortles or would I rather replace Brian Hartline/Emmanuel Sanders type guys as WR3/Flex options with Sammy Watkins?

Seems like a no brainer that Watkins makes more sense. And that is probably true for a majority of rosters, not just mine.

Is it guys that don't play in super flex leagues just assuming that any starting QB is mega-valuable or are guys that play in super-flex also feeling this way? Don't get me wrong, an elite QB is worth a ton. Arguably more than an elite WR. But elite WRs are worth way more than middle of the pack, non-elite QBs.

At this point, Im assuming that Bortles has a good chance to go to HOU where he might have a shot to be a better than average QB in a 2QB format with the weapons on that team.

I have always observed in 12 team leagues that start 2 QB (24 QB starters each week) that QBs are always at a premium, especially when you have injuries, bye weeks, and the annual turnover that occurs (ask anyone with Josh Freeman how quickly his stock tanked!).

Typically in those leagues if you hold the 1.01 to 1.04 pick in those leagues, it was likely that you had weak QBs, so while it might be hard to pass up on Watkins, it makes some degree of sense as picking Watkins at 1.01 likely means another year of weakness at QB, and perhaps holding a high draft pick in the 2015 Rookie Draft!

At this point, Im assuming that Bortles has a good chance to go to HOU where he might have a shot to be a better than average QB in a 2QB format with the weapons on that team.
Bortles should be the overwhelming (80%+) pick for the 2qb league, assuming he goes to a team with an opening at QB (even the Raiders). If Carr goes to a team like Minn or one of the QB-needy teams in the early 2nd, he's also in the conversation for 1.03/1.04.

I play in some super flex leagues (I assume that's what we are discussing here w/ 2 QB) and I don't think the top 3 QBs would or should go with the first 3 picks.

I'm just thinking about one of my super flex teams (as a real life example, 12 team PPR) that needs a QB and it comes down to:

Would I rather replace a Carson Palmer/Mike Glennon platoon at QB2 with a guy like Bortles or would I rather replace Brian Hartline/Emmanuel Sanders type guys as WR3/Flex options with Sammy Watkins?

Seems like a no brainer that Watkins makes more sense. And that is probably true for a majority of rosters, not just mine.

Is it guys that don't play in super flex leagues just assuming that any starting QB is mega-valuable or are guys that play in super-flex also feeling this way? Don't get me wrong, an elite QB is worth a ton. Arguably more than an elite WR. But elite WRs are worth way more than middle of the pack, non-elite QBs.
A few points where I would disagree:

1. I find it a bit unlikely that, barring a trade, the owners of a premium pick has a platoon of Palmer/Glennon as QB2. It happens for sure, but its rare. I think its more likely that they have Palmer as their #2, and Sanchez as his #3. Or even Palmer/Glennon as his entire QB stable. If they had three starting QBs, they can trade one of them rather easily to improve their roster -- and then they can take the more valueable player.

2. Watkins isn't a sure thing. And more importantly, his value takes a much bigger hit if he doesn't produce WR1 numbers in the first couple of years. Top 10 overall picked QBs have a much longer period where they are still considered valueable. If Bortles *merely* turns into another Bradford, that is still a very valuable piece to have a 25 year old starting QB.

If you voted "other" then please feel free to post a comment on who you feel that I am overlooking in the polls!

It's interesting that for all the talk about how PPR requires more thinking and strategy, it's the standing scoring that's offering the more difficult choices.

Could we do a IDP only poll??
I would be happy to see an IDP poll. I will defer to somebody else to set it up and manage it, as I just haven't studied the IDP prospects in depth yet and I don't have the time to manage two sets of rookie polls.

(Yes, even Faust has his limits...lol)

Bortles should be the overwhelming (80%+) pick for the 2qb league, assuming he goes to a team with an opening at QB (even the Raiders). If Carr goes to a team like Minn or one of the QB-needy teams in the early 2nd, he's also in the conversation for 1.03/1.04.
A lot of people with the 1.3 pick in Superflex are going to be disappointed. Trade the pick if you've got it and let someone else draft the bust.

A few points where I would disagree:

1. I find it a bit unlikely that, barring a trade, the owners of a premium pick has a platoon of Palmer/Glennon as QB2. It happens for sure, but its rare. I think its more likely that they have Palmer as their #2, and Sanchez as his #3. Or even Palmer/Glennon as his entire QB stable. If they had three starting QBs, they can trade one of them rather easily to improve their roster -- and then they can take the more valueable player.

2. Watkins isn't a sure thing. And more importantly, his value takes a much bigger hit if he doesn't produce WR1 numbers in the first couple of years. Top 10 overall picked QBs have a much longer period where they are still considered valueable. If Bortles *merely* turns into another Bradford, that is still a very valuable piece to have a 25 year old starting QB.
While I appreciate the response, I disagree with about all of it. I play in a number of these leagues and the non-elite QBs are worth very little. Good luck getting anything at all of value to really improve your roster for a Carson Palmer or even a Mike Glennon.

In 4 different QB flex leagues, EJ Manuel did not go in the top 6 of any of the rookie drafts last year. Geno Smith didn't go top 8 in any.

Perhaps you can argue that this year's QBs are better and that the #3 QB in this class is better than any of the QBs in the last class, but still....

QB is really deep right now and even most bad teams have a passable QB2. You might improve your starting roster by a point or 2 upgrading one of your QB spots, but you can upgrade your starting roster by a lot more if you can get a top 15 WR or RB.

Users who are viewing this thread