What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Russell Wilson Getting Divorced (1 Viewer)

seahawk 17

Footballguy
Either he is going to spend even more time prepping for games (If that's even possible) or he's going to let his popularity get the best of him. Not surprised he is doing this now, as he will be filthy rich next season.

For all the coverage the NFL receives, one of the realities of the sport is that we truly dont know the individuals participating in front of us.

And many times, they prove to be as human as the rest of us.

The Seahawks released a statement today saying that quarterback Russell Wilson was getting divorced.

I have made the difficult decision to file for divorce, it read. Clearly, decisions like these dont come easy. Ashton and I respectfully ask for prayers, understanding and privacy during this difficult time. Moving forward, I will have no further comment on this personal matter.

Given Wilsons popularity, word would have eventually gotten out, via the avenues that pursue celebrity relationships. Announcing it via the team seems an unusual step, since many other players get divorced every year.

Otherwise, well respect Wilsons wishes, which wed have done if he hadnt announced it.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/04/23/seahawks-announce-russell-wilsons-getting-divorced/?ocid=Yahoo&partner=ya5nbcs

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't really see how this is a worthy topic of discussion, unless you have a really hot sister who lives in Seattle.

Seems like a really solid guy so doubt he is just chasing the poon but who knows. What was the background on the wife, high school sweetheart story or girl from UW?

Good move. She is going to get basically nothing and then he'll hit the mother load next year. Sucks for her.

Seems like a really solid guy so doubt he is just chasing the poon but who knows. What was the background on the wife, high school sweetheart story or girl from UW?
Buried in the news if the NFL schedule release was a bizarre announcement from the Seattle Seahawks saying that Wilson, the reigning Super Bowl MVP, was getting a divorce from his wife Ashton Meem. The couple met in high school and have been married for 2 years.

Don't know why this was worthy of a press release. But I think it is just proof that even a Super Bowl victory, a Super Bowl MVP, and the prospect an enormous multi-million dollar contract aren't enough to keep a wife when you wear your hair like this.

Buried in the news if the NFL schedule release was a bizarre announcement from the Seattle Seahawks saying that Wilson, the reigning Super Bowl MVP, was getting a divorce from his wife Ashton Meem. The couple met in high school and have been married for 2 years.
He wasn't the MVP. Who wrote that trash?

I think the only football aspect of this is the question of why the SEA front office felt it necessary to do this as a press release. It was totally unnecessary to announce this from the front office.

I think the only football aspect of this is the question of why the SEA front office felt it necessary to do this as a press release. It was totally unnecessary to announce this from the front office.
Teams release this sort of information more often than you might think. The question is whether or not it gets repeated by other media outlets like CNN, ESPN, or even the FBG daily email. In this case the answer is yes.

I understand why. Because its a fairly substantial surprise. WIlson is a poster child for what NFL teams want to have their players represent. The guy spends Tuesdays at the local children's hospital. He says all the right things 100% of the time in interviews. Its going to be a natural curiosity for fans to wonder why when they hear about this due to the incongruity of his built up characterization and a divorce.

I've always wondered why people act like divorce makes you a bad person. People almost treat it like it's criminal in nature.

Two people weren't compatible living together. That's it. What difference does it make.

GG, you saying there's something to see here if anyone wants to dig a little deeper? There's no coincidence that the timing of this press release was yesterday?

I've always wondered why people act like divorce makes you a bad person. People almost treat it like it's criminal in nature.

Two people weren't compatible living together. That's it. What difference does it make.
I don't think the stigma is as much of being bad as opposed to failing.But so many people get divorced these days, it's hard for society to judge a divorced couple...

GordonGekko said:
Think about it, what singular issue would make Wilson's 2 year marriage turn into evidence of trying to defraud the general public on his apparently sincerity and genuine nature?
You're speculating that Russell Wilson slept around, and that his handlers and the team's PR staff want to box her in so that she can't say anything publicly about it?

Your point is granted, but Gekko brings up a good point -- is there possibly a reason the team feels like they must get out in front of this? Do usual divorces have PR costs to an NFL franchise?

They'd known each other for quite some time I believe. Her father and my father were actually classmates in college, and I believe still keep in touch on occasion. She's from a wonderful family, that much I can tell you.

It seems to me that Gekko is suggesting that Wilson is gay and his relationship with his wife was always a facade, from high school on. He is further suggesting that his wife could reveal that to the public, which gives her leverage, but that Wilson and the team have motivation to prevent that and also have leverage -- money mainly, but also possibly smearing her reputation.

I don't believe any of this to be true.

Retweeted by Russell Wilson

Bible Scripture ‏@Scripture_Truth Apr 22

The entire law is summed up in a single command: "Love your neighbor as yourself." -Galatians 5:14
Perhaps he was loving his neighbor a little too much.

They'd known each other for quite some time I believe. Her father and my father were actually classmates in college, and I believe still keep in touch on occasion. She's from a wonderful family, that much I can tell you.
That's cool, so all the way back to Richmond Collegiate days. It makes for a good story but with the amount of time that has to go into football for him at this age he should be getting married at 32 not 22.

That's cool, so all the way back to Richmond Collegiate days. It makes for a good story but with the amount of time that has to go into football for him at this age he should be getting married at 32 not 22.
I believe they knew each other from way back in high school, not college.

Sorry Collegiate is one of the private high schools in Richmond, pretty sure thats where he went.

So he's been with her since high school and he makes the decision to dump her now right before he gets paid? Methinks her lawyers might have something to say about that. **** move either way as she probably supported him quite a bit through the college years.

Sorry Collegiate is one of the private high schools in Richmond, pretty sure thats where he went.
Oh yeah, my bad.

So he's been with her since high school and he makes the decision to dump her now right before he gets paid? Methinks her lawyers might have something to say about that. **** move either way as she probably supported him quite a bit through the college years.
That's quite an assumption there and probably untrue. I had a friend who dated and lived with a girl for nearly 10 years until they got married. The marriage didn't last a year. Maybe you shouldn't be so judgemental.

That's quite an assumption there and probably untrue. I had a friend who dated and lived with a girl for nearly 10 years until they got married. The marriage didn't last a year. Maybe you shouldn't be so judgemental.
SproutDaddy,

You have to understand - "Fail Mary" still taints most Packer fans' opinions ;)

You're missing the magic that is Sabertooth.

You're missing the magic that is Sabertooth.
:goodposting: One of the most ignorant posters here.

Vector said:
SproutDaddy said:
Sabertooth said:
SproutDaddy,

Which is why it appears that seahawk fans bring it up more than Packer fans ever have.

That any of you think something that happened in a regular season game 2 years ago matters that much to any actual fans is pretty funny.

Vector said:
SproutDaddy said:
Sabertooth said:
SproutDaddy,

Which is why it appears that seahawk fans bring it up more than Packer fans ever have.

That any of you think something that happened in a regular season game 2 years ago matters that much to any actual fans is pretty funny.
You just HAD to post, didn't you?

Vector said:
SproutDaddy said:
Sabertooth said:
SproutDaddy,You have to understand - "Fail Mary" still taints most Packer fans' opinions ;)

:lmao: Oh the irony

Vector said:
SproutDaddy said:
Sabertooth said:
SproutDaddy,

Sure...just pointing out what I have seen by a few Hawks fans...(very few...its maybe a total of 3 of them).

You don't typically see a Packers fan bring up that play or that game. Its long since past....it had zero bearing on a season.

About the only thing it did was point out which Hawks fans are the most nutso and which are solid knowledgable fans without being over the top homers (which would have likely happened with last year anyway)

Does it matter if "I" posted it or someone else did?

BTW...as to Wilson...always seemed like a good guy and pretty devout to things...would guess if anything she couldn't handle playing 2nd fiddle to football all the time. Is it possible he stepped out on her? Sure...possible she did the same? Sure.

Hard to know how people really are vs. the image they portray. He never game me any reason to question his behavior and still hasn't/

sho nuff knows I'm not a Seahawk fan so I'm not sure where he was going with this :crazy:
I don't really pay attention to who you are a fan of actually.

Point was, you don't see Packers fans bringing up the game for the most part. So I will add other fans do so...get it yet?

sho nuff knows I'm not a Seahawk fan so I'm not sure where he was going with this :crazy:

Point was, you don't see Packers fans bringing up the game for the most part. So I will add other fans do so...get it yet?
What I get is that you are easily baited into jumping in and making comments on subjects that have nothing to do with you. :fishing:

What I get is that you are easily baited into jumping in and making comments on subjects that have nothing to do with you. :fishing:
Great...thing is, I was in this subject before your comment...read it, disagreed with it and pointed out why.

Somehow, that seems to bother you.

And if the whole point of your first post was to "bait" me...congrats on having a pretty sad life.

Users who are viewing this thread