What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Question re: the last scene in Shawshank (1 Viewer)

What happened in the last scene in Shawshank?

• They show Red imagining his journey along the beach, and imagining finding Andy

Votes: 18 4.9%
  • They are actually showing Red finding Andy

Votes: 346 95.1%

• Total voters

Otis

Footballguy
How do you interpret the very end scene of Shawshank, as they transition from Red on the bus, to Red walking along a beach and he and Andy meeting on the beach? Are they actually showing Red and Andy meeting and confirming that it happens, or is that just Red sort of imagining what it's going to be like?

Never even crossed my mind that he was imagining that......
Really? The camera sort of drifts up from Red on the bus wondering and looking out the window, and then in an almost dreamlike sequence, from high above, shows he and Andy walking along the beach to each other. I always thought the point wasn't whether they find each other, but the fact that Andy gave Red the hope to pursue it. Here was Red hoping and imagining what it would be like.

:shrug:

Really? The camera sort of drifts up from Red on the bus wondering and looking out the window, and then in an almost dreamlike sequence, from high above, shows he and Andy walking along the beach to each other. I always thought the point wasn't whether they find each other, but the fact that Andy gave Red the hope to pursue it. Here was Red hoping and imagining what it would be like.

No you could be right. I just never thought of it like that. I just assumed they fast forwarded to the scene where they actually meet up

I'm trying to remember, was there any other scene in the movie when they showed a dream/imagination sequence? If not, it would be an odd device to add in right at the end of the film. I guess Andy did have a flashback or something with respect to his wife's affair/murder.

People saying they have no idea why you'd think it was his imagination didn't read the book.
What happens in the book?
It ends with Red finding the note and making the decision to find Andy, and the reader is left never knowing whether he found Andy.
So then that sounds like exactly how I have always interpreted that last scene in the movie.

There's nothing in the book about a dream sequence where Red and Andy are reunited on the beach. It's a lame add on.

People saying they have no idea why you'd think it was his imagination didn't read the book.
It ends with Red finding the note and making the decision to find Andy, and the reader is left never knowing whether he found Andy.
So then that sounds like exactly how I have always interpreted that last scene in the movie.

There's nothing in the book about a dream sequence where Red and Andy are reunited on the beach. It's a lame add on.
I guess. But the point isn't the dream sequence, the point is we don't know if Red ever finds him. I'm guessing hollywood customers needed something more concrete, so they added that in at the end.

I guess. But the point isn't the dream sequence, the point is we don't know if Red ever finds him. I'm guessing hollywood customers needed something more concrete, so they added that in at the end.
Precisely.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRBl0GPBm4o

IF the shot lingered on his eyes, I could see your point. But it doesn't.

The movie had been literal up to that point, so it wouldn't seem fair for the director to change for the last scene.

It ends with Red finding the note and making the decision to find Andy, and the reader is left never knowing whether he succeeds.
The book "Vision Quest" ends in a similar way: Louden stepping onto the mat to face Shute is the last page in the book. It doesn't matter if he wins or loses, only the sacrifices he made to take on the best wrestler in the state.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRBl0GPBm4o

IF the shot lingered on his eyes, I could see your point. But it doesn't.
I don't know. I think everything after the bus ride is Red imagining. Or "hoping."

It's also how I view it.

Doesn't really support one interpretation or the other, but this interesting tidbit is from a Shawshank trivia page:

9. Final Scene

The final scene, in which Red finds Andy on a beach in Zihuatanejo, Mexico, was not intended to be in the film at all. Director Frank Darabont wanted the film to stay as true to Stephen Kings short story as possible, and refused to shoot the scene because it was not in the original story. Associates persuaded him to shoot the scene, but Darabont still wanted to cut it until positive reactions from test audiences convinced him otherwise.

Everything you see in the last ten minutes of the movie -- Red's parole hearing, getting released, finding the tree, taking the bus ride, meeting Andy on the beach -- is ALL a dream inside Andy's head.

This is a very common cinematic technique used at the end of many movies. In the last few shots of a film the camera "unlocks" from static, low-angle shots to floating, almost ethereal sweeping moves. It's a psychological trick. It's "gently detaching the audience", taking them out of the film slowly, and leads to an emotional catharsis. That's what the Shawshank ending is about. That emotional buildup all movie long and then the release at the end as you're led through it via the viewpoint of the camera.

It does not signify a dream sequence in an of itself. Unless you believe films like "Silence of the Lambs" end with dream sequences.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why did the guy keep his money in the pie box and why wouldn't he have remembered to take it out before giving it as a gift to the warden?

I haven't read the whole thread but why/how did Red diss Andy at beginning of the movie in the library in the ice cream scene? He basically throws the cone at Andy for no reason and then they're friends almost instantly.

I haven't read the book in a long time but I'm pretty sure Red finds Andy, rapes him, kills him and then steals his boat.

Everything you see in the last ten minutes of the movie -- Red's parole hearing, getting released, finding the tree, taking the bus ride, meeting Andy on the beach -- is ALL a dream inside Andy's head.
The tree, the bus, and the beach is a dream in Red's head as he is hanging from the rafter like Brooks. :cry:

I haven't read the whole thread but why/how did Red diss Andy at beginning of the movie in the library in the ice cream scene? He basically throws the cone at Andy for no reason and then they're friends almost instantly.
He didn't. It was a dream sequence.

While we are on the subject. In the movie The Natural, does Roy Hobbs really hit a home run to win the pennant at the end that shatters the lights that causes what looks like fireworks while he is running the bases? Or is he just in his hospital bed hopped up on meds while hallucinating about hitting the game winning home run?

While we are on the subject. In the movie The Natural, does Roy Hobbs really hit a home run to win the pennant at the end that shatters the lights that causes what looks like fireworks while he is running the bases? Or is he just in his hospital bed hopped up on meds while hallucinating about hitting the game winning home run?
Did Frodo just imagine that Gollum bit off his finger and fell into the lava?

Did John McClane just imagine he was going out to the coast to spend Christmas with his kids, and have some laughs?

I never knew people who liked this film hated the ending. I thought it was great.

Never read the book. Don't care if the film was different. Loved the film and thought the ending was perfect.

I never knew people who liked this film hated the ending. I thought it was great.

Never read the book. Don't care if the film was different. Loved the film and thought the ending was perfect.
Yep. I don't watch movies to be left hanging. Ooh, the artist is provoking me, trying to get me to think. #### that. Tell your story. There's enough ambiguity in life as it is.

Yep. I don't watch movies to be left hanging. Ooh, the artist is provoking me, trying to get me to think. #### that. Tell your story. There's enough ambiguity in life as it is.
The story wasn't about success. It was about hope. Red choosing hope over despair is the perfect end to that story.

The story wasn't about success. It was about hope. Red choosing hope over despair is the perfect end to that story.
Don't care

Users who are viewing this thread