What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Is this the year Lamar Miller fulfills his potential? (1 Viewer)

zgotts

Footballguy
Last year I remember hearing a heck of a lot of hype about Lamar Miller being a mid-round fantasy draft pick who'd greatly outplay his ADP. Obviously that never happened, but it was largely because of the way the Dolphins used him.

To those of you who actively avoid Miller in fantasy football -- what is the basis for your dislike? Is it the way the Dolphins used him? Is it a basic lack of talent?

I'm curious as I too was a non-believer last year, but looking more into his stats/size/etc, and the fact that Moreno will be out a while, I'm wondering if he might actually make something of this opportunity.

Last edited by a moderator:
He'll be productive on his touches but he still goes down too easily and has trouble consistently catching the ball. I don't know what the deal is with his pass catching, I thought it was supposed to be one of his strengths. He'll definitely be startable but I doubt he ever lives up to the hype.

I reluctantly drafted him in the mid rounds again this year. He always seems to have an opportunity to seize, and he always seems to fail trying. To me, he consistently looks hesitant and slow, and goes down far too easily.

Here's hoping something clicks this time, but I am not confident.

He has already filled his potential. He's a speedy back who can do damage in space. He's not a feature 3 down 20 plus touch back. He's an excellent cop guy. A perfect backup.

I wish I were wrong BC I own him in dynasty but that's what I see.

My take is that he really doesn't play like a feature RB and usually runs smaller than his size with above average speed but below average power. But he definitely has the opportunity now and the next couple of games will be very telling.

Miami wants to run the ball, and they appear to be good at it. As long as Miller is getting touches in that offense, he should put up good fantasy numbers. Probably a a decent RB2 when Moreno is out, and a flex play when Moreno gets back.

The problem is that Miller is a better fantasy player than a football player -- he makes too many mental mistakes and doesn't finish runs. He has the tools to be an every down back, but somehow hasn't put it together yet. I think of last year when he broke off a huge run and was almost in the end zone, and then cut the wrong way and let a defender strip the ball. What should have been a huge play turned into a spell on the bench.

He's only in his 3rd year and could still put it together, but it's a bad sign that the coaching staff brought in Moreno and gave him the job over Miller. They don't trust him, and I have no reason to think they're wrong.

As an owner, I think he sucks. I am pretty sure I will have to play him the next few weeks, so I am just hoping he can put up 10 - 15 points per game in ppr.

still reminds me of Tatum Bell and circumstances are such that I'll probably be starting him a few times this season. hope he produces, but I will not be surprised either way.

Honestly, if this guy averages 12 points per game in ppr...I feel he will have fulfilled his potential, so lets all hope for that.

He has already filled his potential. He's a speedy back who can do damage in space. He's not a feature 3 down 20 plus touch back. He's an excellent cop guy. A perfect backup.

Correct. Hype exceeded perceived potential for sure.

Correct. Hype exceeded perceived potential for sure.
Which is why I drafted Moreno and I've been grabbing Damien Williams off the wire or trying to trade for him wherever I can rt now.

Damien is the best back they have.

I expect they see that this week and sign LaMichael James early next week, then we debate James versus Damien.

Sorry but to me Miller is clearly not an every down back and high hopes just won't be realized here.

Damien is the best back they have.

I expect they see that this week and sign LaMichael James early next week, then we debate James versus Damien.

Sorry but to me Miller is clearly not an every down back and high hopes just won't be realized here.
good posting. miami homers on sbnation are really down on miller, particularly his inability to catch the ball. http://www.thephinsider.com/2014/9/17/6276209/who-should-start-at-rb-for-the-miami-dolphins-sunday-vs-the-kansas-city-chiefs

He'll be productive on his touches but he still goes down too easily and has trouble consistently catching the ball. I don't know what the deal is with his pass catching, I thought it was supposed to be one of his strengths. He'll definitely be startable but I doubt he ever lives up to the hype.
Where is this difficulty catching the ball? He's caught 6 balls on 10 targets this year. Guys like Gio and Forte, both excellent pass catchers, have also not caught 5 and 4 of their targets respectively. Last year, Miller had 26 catches on 35 targets or 75%. McCoy was at 81%. Forte was at 78%. I'm not seeing "trouble consistently catching the ball". He's catching the ball at a pretty appropriate rate of his targets.

I've actually been impressed with what I've seen from him this year. I've seen him get an extra yard or two when little was there.

I have him in one redraft league where he fell to the 13th round, so I'm not a big investor in him.. But I do think he's played better than the general consensus.

The Lazor system could make backs better than they first appear.

Another question is Williams, and another question after that is if Moreno comes back in 4 or 8 weeks or what. If Miller does well or even Williams it could just be a big RBBC by the time Moreno gets back.

And what was the truth for the run game, the NE version or the BUF version?

If the Dolphins are running the Chip Kelly offense, then they want to run the ball 30-40 times per game. They ran 38 times vs NE, 21 times vs BUF. I think they want to be the NE version, but game script dictated the BUF version. KC is not a team that will get up big and force the Dolphins to pass, but I would have said the same for BUF (and the opposite for NE before week 1).

Lamar Miller has 11 carries in each game thus far. He has been given 20+ carries once in his career, and 15+ only 5 times. Someone else is going to get carries here.

Im starting Alfred Blue over Miller today if he gets the start. Tired of waiting for this guy to "fulfill" his potential.

So far with a 5.8 ypc on the year on 34 carries through almost 3 games and another 9 receptions.

Currently on pace for over 1000 yds and 50 receptions on the year with some time left in this game. So disappointing.

Well, he did play KC who has let RBS run all over them in their first 2 games so not sure what to think but yes he looked good. Not great at breaking tackles but they got him into space and created holes for him all day. Promising. Still think Moreno takes a large chunk of the meaningful carries in the 2nd half of the season. The winner in all this is the dolphins. They have a strong Rb corps.

Looked good to me today...totally worth the paltry late round investment most owners had to make. Oakland coming up next week, that should be another pretty good game.

Bull. You like Moreno better and have no clue what you are talking about. What is Lamar Miller's ypc this year?

People really live and die with every week. How about we let this guy develop a bit? Or let us find out if there is something here. He's certainly not LT in his prime, just like he's likely not some scrub. Opportunity is here right now. Let's see what he does over the multi-week audition.

Bull. You like Moreno better and have no clue what you are talking about. What is Lamar Miller's ypc this year?
I do think Moreno is a far better Rb. But that's not BC I have some hatred for miller. Again, I own miller in dynasty and started him today in that league. Granted my other choice was gerhart. But don't think for one second that I wasn't cringing while putting him in my starting lineup. BC I was. This new system seems to fit millers skill set well. Lazor puts an onus on getting him in space which is where he can do damage. He's still not great at breaking tackles and creating tough yards. He played a soft run d today. His ypc is good, and that's great and all, but he is doing well BC of the system he is in, not BC he is awesome. Moreno has the talent to excel in various offensive schemes, as his track record demonstrates.

I'm really not biased. I WANT miller to take over and be a beast. It will bode well for me in dynasty. I just am not a believer that he has the skill set to be a feature Rb. In this system, however, he seems to be doing well.

Moreno has been average without Payton and they kicked him to the curb. While he's looked OK at times Lamar has too. I'll take Lamar for the long haul.

I didn't see the game, but by the stats it seems clear Lamar played well and I should eat some crow here

Moreno has been average without Payton and they kicked him to the curb. While he's looked OK at times Lamar has too. I'll take Lamar for the long haul.
Moreno basically played in 1 game since leaving Denver and he pretty much carried Miami on his back to win that game.

Don't get me wrong. In the one league I own him he has been starting for me in Moreno's absence. It's just my opinion that moreno will be the back to own when he comes back to health.

Yes, I was. A fumble doesn't change what he's done so far.
True. He has looked good. But a fumble at the gl like that...that's a bad bad mistake. Rt now philbin and lazor are praying for moreno to heal quickly
Clearly they don't trust him since they went right back to him at the goal line and.......oops, a TD?
Yes BC they have so many other tantalizing options at Rb. Lol

8th in the NFL in yards per game rushing with the 2nd highest YPA of any RB in the top 40. He's doing just fine.

Users who are viewing this thread