What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Who will be the next hot WR pickup? (1 Viewer)

RichInOrlando

Footballguy
Saw we have a similar post for RB, so here's one for receivers (if it doesn't already exist).

I have my eyes on Jordan Matthews if Riley Cooper keeps struggling.

Last edited by a moderator:
Chip Kelly seems to be very good at finding a weakness in the D and exposing it. Yesterday just happened to be the seam routes down the middle and this is where Matthews was operating. Cooper splits out wide a lot, the 2 having success might not rely on the other not doing well. Skins have weaker safey/LB coverage compared to their corners so that might be something to do with it.

Allen Robinson without queston, especially with bottles coming in
that's the first guy that came to mind and who I'm trying to scoop in all my leagues this week. I think he'll still be cheap due to the crowded depth chart and the fact that he's a Jag. Certainly no sure thing but it certainly wouldn't shock me if he became the top target in the offense either....

Probably Moncrief
I disagree. I've got him on my watch list, but unless he passes Nicks AND Hilton is out, I just don't see him having any fantasy relevance. The colts have so many weapons but they don't use them. I'd argue they have weapons comparable to Green Bay, yet they don't use Luck in a way that would give fantasy value to a #3 WR like gb does.Even as their WR3 (assuming he passes Hilton), he's still at best 5th on the target list

Anyone mention Allen Robinson? I'm surprised no one has. Especially with Bortles coming in...
??? I think half the posts are about Allen Robinson on here

Bortles makes someone a stud on this receiving corps, tough to say who, but Robinson is worth gambling on because he's free dollars right now, and may cost you after next week

Devante Adams messed up a route last week and pissed off Rodgers. Does this drop him down in anyone's books or is that something that wouldn't have much affect.

Eddie Royal. Loss of Woodhead might keep him involved all year unlike last year where he fizzled after a fast start.

Eddie Royal. Loss of Woodhead might keep him involved all year unlike last year where he fizzled after a fast start.
I disagree....the Chargers gameplan like the Pats...they find a weakness and pick on it so the star player in the offense seems to change from week to week. It was Gates two weeks ago and Royal this week and who next week? Allen? Rivers is completely content to move the ball around to different targets week to week depending on the gameplan and has done it very successfully. I don't see how anyone can be trusted on that offense outside of Brown now.

I disagree....the Chargers gameplan like the Pats...they find a weakness and pick on it so the star player in the offense seems to change from week to week. It was Gates two weeks ago and Royal this week and who next week? Allen? Rivers is completely content to move the ball around to different targets week to week depending on the gameplan and has done it very successfully. I don't see how anyone can be trusted on that offense outside of Brown now.
No doubt it'll be a week-to-week thing, but Eddie Royal has been targeted often every week. Until Mathews is back and they go run-based, I'd expect it to continue. Chargers love the underneath stuff, and he's their best outlet there now w/o Woodhead, IMO. That doesn't make him a WR1 by any means, but maybe a WR3/flex play, and most certainly rosterable.

Targets:

Royal 22 (6,10,6)

Gates 18 (10,7,1)

Allen 17 (9,6,2)

Floyd 11 (6,1,4)

Brown 10 (0,4,6)

Green 8 (2,0,6)

Woodhead 6 (1,5,0)

Anyone mention Allen Robinson? I'm surprised no one has. Especially with Bortles coming in...
??? I think half the posts are about Allen Robinson on here
Way over your head
Is Bortles coming in? I feel like maybe people should consider Allen Robinson.
At least it wasn't under my nose

Marvin Jones, who keeps insisting will return after the Week 4 bye. He had a couple monster games and a couple more good ones last year.

I didn't watch last night's game, but checked the boxscore to see Jeremy Kerley was heavily targeted and had a nice game. His value is probably tied to Decker's hamstring, but even so that might be a decent gamble.

Deep one here... Philly Brown looked pretty good as a receiver for Carolina. Benjamin is clearly the 1, and Olsen option 2. Cotchery and Avant have been the 2nd and 3rd WRs to this point, but Philly Brown looked good Sunday night (not so much on the punt return fumble). Wouldn't be shocked if he passed Avant already, and he's one of these types that always seems to find a way to be open underneath.

Deep one here... Philly Brown looked pretty good as a receiver for Carolina. Benjamin is clearly the 1, and Olsen option 2. Cotchery and Avant have been the 2nd and 3rd WRs to this point, but Philly Brown looked good Sunday night (not so much on the punt return fumble). Wouldn't be shocked if he passed Avant already, and he's one of these types that always seems to find a way to be open underneath.
I picked him up in a few leagues. He caught 9 passes. He seems a step quicker than Avant.

Interested to see what he can do.

Kenny Britt? He was dropped everywhere after week 2, but had a renaissance in game 3. Poor QB play hurts, but they made a concentrated effort last week to get the ball into his hands.

Said this in the other 'hottest pickup' thread, but Denard Robinson. WR eligible in most leagues and is seeing an increasing workload in the backfield because Gerhart looks awful.

I'm trying to dig a little on Odell Beckham. Eli is easy to criticize but maybe they have turned the corner with new coordinator. I like having WRs in that division. Randle has been very pedestrian, and Beckham was a top 15 pick.

I think all the Robinson hype needs to be tempered with the fact that (1) Shorts is still getting his 2014 feet wet after a couple injury-riddled weeks, (2) Ace Sanders will be back shortly, only further diluting the targets this pathetic passing game has to offer, and (3) with the continued lack of running game, will only allow safeties to stay back and defend the pass. It will be slim pickens until Bortles can (if ever) prove he can make throws into scheming defenses.

Oh, and there is also the fact that if a gazillion fantasy football newts think that he is the next best thing....don't you think someone like, oh, a defensive coordinator or two might also think so, and roll some coverage his way? He ain't surprising anyone anymore.

I think all the Robinson hype needs to be tempered with the fact that (1) Shorts is still getting his 2014 feet wet after a couple injury-riddled weeks, (2) Ace Sanders will be back shortly, only further diluting the targets this pathetic passing game has to offer, and (3) with the continued lack of running game, will only allow safeties to stay back and defend the pass. It will be slim pickens until Bortles can (if ever) prove he can make throws into scheming defenses.

Oh, and there is also the fact that if a gazillion fantasy football newts think that he is the next best thing....don't you think someone like, oh, a defensive coordinator or two might also think so, and roll some coverage his way? He ain't surprising anyone anymore.
You have to think long term though. Who has the most talent? We don't know what this kid is yet. We do know he has very high end talent and size and speed and a qb that likes to throw the ball down the field and has a big arm and he was hurt most of the preseason so others got a head start.

Shorts is so good that they drafted two guys to take his spot. I'm trying to dump Wayne for him. You win with upside. Mid season last year I landed Keenan Allen, Arrington and zac Stacy before they were the guys and helped me win two of my 3 leagues. You have to take risk and shots at no names with upside with your bench spots. That's how you win.

If he flames out in two weeks then it's onto someone else.

Yeah, there's no reason not to take a flier on this kid (Robinson). I dropped Boldin for him and he's now my WR4/5. Low risk/high reward especially with an actual passer now in charge.

Was able to get jordan Mathews off waivers and agree he's prob the best wr add if you can get him. Cooper sucks and maclin is known to miss time. Even if he stays the third guy he's starting to get looks.

Allen robinson is a close second though. Was gunning for him if I missed mathews

Was able to get jordan Mathews off waivers and agree he's prob the best wr add if you can get him. Cooper sucks and maclin is known to miss time. Even if he stays the third guy he's starting to get looks.

Allen robinson is a close second though. Was gunning for him if I missed mathews
How would you rank the 3 if you threw Sanu in the mix?

How would you rank the 3 if you threw Sanu in the mix?
Sanu third. Jones is coming back. ..

Stedman Bailey STL after the bye.
Really, why? And is Austin Davis worth a speculative add as well?
Bailey had the best preseason of the Rams WRs, and has the best hands. He s/b the starter along with Quick soon if not already in week 5, and is likely to be their high volume receiver while Quick gets mostly the long stuff. I see Bailey averaging up to 4-5 catches the rest of the season. I know Britt and Quick are there but they don't seem to be loving Britt and they need a reliable underneath threat (the old Amendola role when he was there) to complement Quick.

Tough call on QB Davis. Started hot last week but cost them the game in the 2nd half with his INTs against one of the worst defenses in the NFL after building an lead early. I don't know if he'll get the week 5 start, but I think Shaun Hill will be back in the starting role for most of the season. You could try rostering Davis and see what happens if you have the roster room but I think his time as starter will be short lived.

I'd Allen Robinson worth dropping Torrey Smith for?
I wouldn't. T Smith has started slowly but will get his. It's only been 3 weeks. Pitta's injury will help T Smith's numbers too.
Interesting. I would have dropped Torrey Smith for Allen Robinson in a heartbeat. I own both and am considering dropping Smith for a bye week kicker to save Haushka. Lammey also thinks Torrey's targets should increase. Although he didn't do much with his 8 targets last week. I'm worried that Torrey's route tree is too limited or that they don't trust him enough to use him on anything but deep patterns, and bracket coverage nullifies him. I don't see how losing Pitta helps matters.

Stedman Bailey STL after the bye.
Really, why? And is Austin Davis worth a speculative add as well?
Bailey had the best preseason of the Rams WRs, and has the best hands. He s/b the starter along with Quick soon if not already in week 5, and is likely to be their high volume receiver while Quick gets mostly the long stuff. I see Bailey averaging up to 4-5 catches the rest of the season. I know Britt and Quick are there but they don't seem to be loving Britt and they need a reliable underneath threat (the old Amendola role when he was there) to complement Quick.

Tough call on QB Davis. Started hot last week but cost them the game in the 2nd half with his INTs against one of the worst defenses in the NFL after building an lead early. I don't know if he'll get the week 5 start, but I think Shaun Hill will be back in the starting role for most of the season. You could try rostering Davis and see what happens if you have the roster room but I think his time as starter will be short lived.
I'll look into adding Bailey. There some upside there. I still think Quick will be the WR to own. What happens when Tavon Austin returns? The Rams WR's are an enigma.

Users who are viewing this thread