What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Gas for under $3 a gallon, now nearing $2 a gallon (1 Viewer)

fantasycurse42

Footballguy Jr.
Last edited by a moderator:
I purchased gas on Sunday for $2.99 a gallon, first time I can remember buying gas for less than $3 a gallon in a very long time.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/oil-ends-at-lowest-in-two-years-drops-13-on-quarter-2014-09-30

I read articles about the falling price of oil like it is a bad thing, I don't get it, I welcome lower priced oil :shrug:

ETA: I got my license in 2000 and remember paying 89 cents a gallon, hopefully we can get back to those levels :thumbup:
Likewise, can't even imagine how awesome that would be if it were even close to that scenario now.

I purchased gas on Sunday for $2.99 a gallon, first time I can remember buying gas for less than $3 a gallon in a very long time.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/oil-ends-at-lowest-in-two-years-drops-13-on-quarter-2014-09-30

I read articles about the falling price of oil like it is a bad thing, I don't get it, I welcome lower priced oil :shrug:

ETA: I got my license in 2000 and remember paying 89 cents a gallon, hopefully we can get back to those levels :thumbup:
I point this out to anyone who got their license around 2000. The price of gas was not that cheap prior to that. You happen to have gotten your license during a low point. An amazing low point. In fact, the average price per gallon for those years was around $1.20. So that $0.89 a gallon was extremely short lived. 1988 was around the last time gas average $1 a gallon for the year. Between then and 2000 the average was closer to $1.40 a gallon.

The point I'm getting at is that it may seem crazy that gas shot up from $0.89 to $3.00, but your starting point is too low in reality. The average price of gas in 1979 was right around $0.89 a gallon.

I point this out to anyone who got their license around 2000. The price of gas was not that cheap prior to that. You happen to have gotten your license during a low point. An amazing low point. In fact, the average price per gallon for those years was around $1.20. So that $0.89 a gallon was extremely short lived. 1988 was around the last time gas average $1 a gallon for the year. Between then and 2000 the average was closer to $1.40 a gallon.

The point I'm getting at is that it may seem crazy that gas shot up from $0.89 to $3.00, but your starting point is too low in reality. The average price of gas in 1979 was right around $0.89 a gallon.
You middle eastern guys are all hard-wired into the oil database aren't you?

;)

You middle eastern guys are all hard-wired into the oil database aren't you?

;)
:lol: A decade working for Big Oil. I found myself having to defend my employers almost anytime I told people where I worked.

I'm not saying they're angels, but a lot of crap gets blamed on them just because it's convenient.

Yea, maybe I'm spoiled by the timing of getting my license, but anything beyond $2 feels excessive.

Likewise, can't even imagine how awesome that would be if it were even close to that scenario now.
So many people would feel exactly as you do. What other goods that people spend money on every day are posted all over the place and get the news coverage that gas prices get?

Yea, maybe I'm spoiled by the timing of getting my license, but anything beyond $2 feels excessive.
Gas is one of the cheapest things you can get by the gallon.

Yea, but when I'm paying a 350% premium on it compared to 2000, I still get :hot:

This downward trend we are in is highly welcomed :thumbup:

I always get a kick out of this image.

Gone are the days of Die Hard.
Oddly, that was during the downtime in the 80's. $0.77 for gas was also a rare time. It lasted longer than the 99-00 one, but it was still an anomaly.

How much is a gallon of water? Or unicorn tears?

Drivers license in 1999, I remember paying less than $.80 per gallon in high school.
I remember that fondly. Also, this was about the time everyone and their mother decided to buy a 10 MPG SUV. I swear, I'd be driving home on my commute and it seemed like I was the only non SUV on the road some days. Then gas jumped - a lot. And these same drivers would be whining about the price of gas. I really think that the A-rabs will drop the price of gas juuuuust a little bit. Enough to get everyone to jump on the gas guzzler bandwagon again.

How much is a gallon of water? Or unicorn tears?
It says Fiji water is $10.24 a gallon.

Drivers license in 1999, I remember paying less than $.80 per gallon in high school.
I remember that fondly. Also, this was about the time everyone and their mother decided to buy a 10 MPG SUV. I swear, I'd be driving home on my commute and it seemed like I was the only non SUV on the road some days. Then gas jumped - a lot. And these same drivers would be whining about the price of gas. I really think that the A-rabs will drop the price of gas juuuuust a little bit. Enough to get everyone to jump on the gas guzzler bandwagon again.
Not true. We don't even bring up gas prices in the monthly meetings anymore.

My great grandmother ran a country store for about 50 years. After she died (I think in the late 80s or early 90s) we cleaned out what was left in the store so that we could list the property. We can across old gas signs advertising for like .25 a gallon. That must have been sweet - of course cars back in that day got like 10 miles per gallon.

My great grandmother ran a country store for about 50 years. After she died (I think in the late 80s or early 90s) we cleaned out what was left in the store so that we could list the property. We can across old gas signs advertising for like .25 a gallon. That must have been sweet - of course cars back in that day got like 10 miles per gallon.
Another good point. Back in 1975, the average car on the road got about 14 mpg. It's now over 27 mpg.

I STILL only get 10 mpg :sadbanana:

What are you driving? A dump truck?

What are you driving? A dump truck?
Pretty much...

2003 GMC 2500HD Crew Cab 4x4 with a 8.1 liter 496 gas HOG..... luckily I work 3 miles from home and it's not my daily driver.. just my plow truck and RV hauler :drive:

Anyone who got their license in late 80's really lucked out with cheap gas prices for over a decade.

MPG by auto manufacturers is bull####!

I've been driving a new car that tracks my MPG for about 1,500 miles so far, about 1,000 of which are highway. It is rated at 19/27, I drive in eco mode, usually with the wife and kid in the car (so I drive like #####), and according to the car computer I'm only getting 18.2mpg.

Anyone who got their license in late 80's really lucked out with cheap gas prices for over a decade.
Strange link.

MPG by auto manufacturers is bull####!

I've been driving a new car that tracks my MPG for about 1,500 miles so far, about 1,000 of which are highway. It is rated at 19/27, I drive in eco mode, usually with the wife and kid in the car (so I drive like #####), and according to the car computer I'm only getting 18.2mpg.
Always has been. But if you compare inflated MPG to an equally inflated MPG from years back, it still shows the change.

I paid $2.429/gal today for E-85 at Kroger in Katy, TX. Got $0.10/gal discount because I dropped a hundy in the grocery store. :thumbup:

wasn't there a service that let you buy gas at a fixed price? i can't remember the name of it but it was in the FFA a loooooong time ago.

When I got my drivers license gas was $0.34 per gallon. And we got our windshields cleaned and oil checked. And it was LEADED gasoline, too. None of this wussy unleaded with ethanol in it.

Strange link.
Fixed.

Strange link.
Fixed.
Nice. You can see from that link why anyone who got their license in 1999 has an incorrect view of how much gas has gone up.

Strange link.
Fixed.
Nice. You can see from that link why anyone who got their license in 1999 has an incorrect view of how much gas has gone up.
I got mine in 98. Right in time for the prices to skyrocket like a mother ####er.

GoFishTN said:
I got mine in 98. Right in time for the prices to skyrocket like a mother ####er.
Again, you're looking at it wrong. You got it at the lowest prices in the history of gas sales.

I got my license in 1994 and I remember when the local Sheetz opened they were doing a $0.99/gal gas special as a promotion. Don't remember exactly when it was, but it was between 1994 and 1996. I miss the days I could fill my car up for $20.

I worked at a gas station through high school (late 80s) and I remember having to notch out the fuel pump because gas went over $1 for the first time. I was also making minimum wage of $3.35/hour also.

TheIronSheik said:
TheIronSheik said:
fantasycurse42 said:
TheIronSheik said:
fantasycurse42 said:

I point this out to anyone who got their license around 2000. The price of gas was not that cheap prior to that. You happen to have gotten your license during a low point. An amazing low point. In fact, the average price per gallon for those years was around $1.20. So that $0.89 a gallon was extremely short lived. 1988 was around the last time gas average $1 a gallon for the year. Between then and 2000 the average was closer to $1.40 a gallon.The point I'm getting at is that it may seem crazy that gas shot up from $0.89 to $3.00, but your starting point is too low in reality. The average price of gas in 1979 was right around $0.89 a gallon.
Does anyone really pay $6 for a gallon of milk?

Mid-80s friend had a 76 Buick Electra, think Cadillac Seville, without some finishes. 350 cu in engine, I think that baby got GPM!

TheIronSheik said:
cstu said:
TheIronSheik said:

Strange link.
I'm calling BS on that graph. At what point during 2011 did gas drop down to $2.50. It certainly didn't get that low in my neck of the woods.

snellman said:
I worked at a gas station through high school (late 80s) and I remember having to notch out the fuel pump because gas went over $1 for the first time. I was also making minimum wage of $3.35/hour also.
Gas was over a dollar a gallon in 1979.

So how low can a barrel of oil get before the "high cost of extraction" of US's renewed production is no longer viable? Aren't these companies already stressed ti break even?

snellman said:
must not have been extended time, because it was 87 and our pumps only showed .009. Shoot, our pumps weren't even digital. Was little town in NW Iowa.

snellman said:
must not have been extended time, because it was 87 and our pumps only showed .009. Shoot, our pumps weren't even digital. Was little town in NW Iowa.
My yearbook shows $1.359 sometime in the fall of 1981. Consistent with this graph. Prices went down in the mid '80s.

Users who are viewing this thread