What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dynasty DB Top Ten (1 Viewer)

thedudesdude

Footballguy
Currently the Top 10 DB/S in my league in points are shown below. It's a tackle heavy league as you can see. I am lucky to own 4 of them. I was curious if Anthony and/or Gene (or anybody who wants to join this discussion) could give us their expert opinion on how they'd rank these guys as keeper prospects? Right now I am liking Pollard and Branch because of their age and performance but can we count on them to be in the same circumstance next year? I know Oakland has a rookie safety they'd like to see get more playing time and Pollard is supposedley horrible in coverage. Are these worries enough to bump others up or no? How would you rank the top 10 dynasty DB/S in a tackle heavy league? You're welcome to use players not on the list. Thanks fellas...

Dawkins,Brian

Branch,Tyvon

Bell,Yeremiah

Babineaux,Jordan

Goldson,Dashon

Pollard,Bernard

Woodson,Charles

Coleman,Erik

Bethea,Antoine

Harper,Roman

Last edited by a moderator:
When you said DB/S I assumed you meant safety. However, I see Woodson on there. If you're including cornerbacks, I think Winfield needs to be on the list. He hurt his foot this year, but has shown no signs of slowing down and is consistently excellent.

Sorry for the confusion, I do mean just DB (Corner or Safety). Winfield is certainly fair to include although he is getting up there in age for dynasty purposes. (32)

Not as old as Dawkins, though. =) However, I think that when thinking dynasty DB, you have to keep churning the mill. I think that changes in scheme and player development affect defense more than offense.

I’d see Harper, Bell, Delmas, Bethea, Winfield, and Dawkins having the best chance to maintain their value for the next 2-3 years; I doubt their coaching staff/scheme’s going to change anytime soon, they’re highly effective, get the majority of their points on tackles, and have little competition for their job. I guess I’d break them down something like this:

R. Harper-SS

Y .Bell-SS

B. Dawkins-FS

L. Delmas-FS -- a beast in the making. He’s already a weekly starter.

A. Bethea-FS -- is solid in all areas and pretty underrated.

A. Winfield-CB -- Consistent numbers for years. The only one non-S I continually rank high.

J. Babineaux-FS -- inconsistent. He’s shown flashes of brilliance and then made some horrible plays. I think he’ll put up good value for another year until Seattle knows what they have in him.

B. Pollard-SS -- doing fine in pass coverage this year, in my opinion.

T. Branch-SS -- good vs pass, not good vs run. Will he swap to FS to replace Huff while Mitchell takes over SS? If so, I think his numbers will drop but still be good.

T. Jackson-SS-- He missed four games, and has struggled along with the rest of Tampa D, but is a great playmaker.

Gibril Wilson-FS -- I think he and Bell are a good tandem and should remain so.

D. Goldson-FS -- probably no competition at this point, but horrible in pass coverage

E. Coleman-SS -- Moore knocking on the door, also horrible in pass coverage this year

George Wilson-FS -- too many DBs in Buffalo, how will it shake out?

R. Doughty-FS -- Horton, Landry, Doughty might be a mess in 2010, but whomever starts will have good value

Down here in Miami area it appears as if the Dolphins have soured on Gibril to the point where he may not even start next season. He hasn't had a good year in terms of on the field this season, can't cover much of anyone and i'm not sure what happens to him.

I'm not a IDP guru or anything, just passing along what i'm hearing. Good luck.

Very hard to trust the defensive back group from year to year.

The only guys I'd trust to absolutely retain their current roles and top value into 2010 are Roman Harper and Eric Weddle. I could make a convincing downside argument for anyone else on the list, including Tyvon Branch and Yeremiah Bell. There are a whole host of guys with good value, but Harper and Weddle are the only two I think have clear 70+ solo value with some big play upside next year.

You gotta put Charles Tillman from the Bears in there.

This year, which was somewhat of a down year and even had him missing one game, he still finished as #14 overall in my league (which has pretty much the same top-10 as you listed.) On a PPG basis, he was the #8 overall, plus he is only 28 years old.

Just another name to throw out there for you to consider.

I have Branch but also own Mitchell and Huff. Figure that out of the bunch I am guaranteed the Oakland SS and the boatloads of tackles that comes with it.

how about G. Wilson for the Bills? here is my list of watchers, I also think Miami cans Wilson and they get a good cover FS which would make Bell the #1 DB next year!!!!

G. Wilson Bills

M. Mitchell oak

D. Goldson sf

1) E.Weddle

2) R.Harper

3) L.Delmas

4) D.Goldson

5) B.Sanders

6) B.Dawkins

7) A.Winfield

8) Y.Bell

9) O.Atogwe

10) T.Branch

Big Play notables Polomalu, A.Wilson

how about G. Wilson for the Bills? here is my list of watchers, I also think Miami cans Wilson and they get a good cover FS which would make Bell the #1 DB next year!!!!G. Wilson BillsM. Mitchell oak D. Goldson sf
On the same note, what are your impressions of Jairus Byrd? Granted, he got many of his points from INTs last year but he seems to be a playmaker.

If Pollard keeps his starting spot, he's gotta be in the top 5-10 imo.
Agreed. Pollard definitely grew into his role at the end of last season, capped by his great performance against New England. Keep a close eye on his progress in the offseason and what the coaching staff of the Texans say.

Any word on Kenny Phillips next year?
:goodposting: I have been wondering the same thing. This is all I could find at this time, this was per Tom Coughlin on 1/4/10:

Q. Any reason to be concerned about the long term recovery of Kenny Phillips?

A. I believe there is another medical examination soon. The last one he was doing very well. We are on schedule right now.

Q. Has he done anything lately?

A. He wasn't supposed to. He is coming along. They are not going to let him overdo it. It's a slow process.

Q. He said when it first happened it was going to be a couple months that he was not going to be able to do anything. Does that sound right?

A. I know he is doing stuff now because he is here and is working.

Entire Transcripts are here:

http://www.giants.com/news/transcripts/sto...?story_id=43915

Users who are viewing this thread