What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Apple iPhone Thread (1 Viewer)

I haven't read the previous pages, the iPhone 4 has a visible antenna? Someone please explain.
The metal all the way around the sides is the antenna.
Oh ok. Thanks, I had no idea. I'm gonna wait a few weeks to get the iPhone 4, ya know after all these minor kinks are worked out. This is my third summer with my 3G, I can wait a little longer.

Curious to hear what Rudnicki has to say about this thing. My Mrs. loves it so far. I'm waiting for her to get home so I can see it. She's out with her girlfriends drunk and probably surrounded by dudes who want to bang them. :P
after some problems getting it set up and itunes installed, I'm liking it so far.

Trying out a potential shark move today at the Apple Store to get my iPhone w/o having to wait in line...

I noticed they have a workshop from 9a-10a called Getting Started With Iphone 4.0. I decide to sign up and see if it may provide a fast track to getting my phone if ther is a long wait (I have a reservation). Will report back if successful....

So I got the phone. Really like it so far.

However, I on first sync, Ididn't have my the contacts from my old iPhone (I think I never created contacts on the computer from the contacts on the phone). In any case, in order to do that I tried syncing the old 3G iPhone. However in doing so, the stupid thing crashed and now only gets to the little Apple icon. Anyone know how to get past this part. I've tried all the reboot options I've found on the Internet (holding the on/off and home buttons in every possible combo).

Trying out a potential shark move today at the Apple Store to get my iPhone w/o having to wait in line...I noticed they have a workshop from 9a-10a called Getting Started With Iphone 4.0. I decide to sign up and see if it may provide a fast track to getting my phone if ther is a long wait (I have a reservation). Will report back if successful....
Oof. Shark move be damned. Drove by the place at 730a and decided I just didn't have the patience after seeing the huge line. It just drained the desire out of me.

Ok this is a really dumb question BUT why would you go stand in line if you have a reservation?

I see people in the reserved line out there at like 4am, I don't get it. Don't you have all day to pick up your reservation?

Trying out a potential shark move today at the Apple Store to get my iPhone w/o having to wait in line...

I noticed they have a workshop from 9a-10a called Getting Started With Iphone 4.0. I decide to sign up and see if it may provide a fast track to getting my phone if ther is a long wait (I have a reservation). Will report back if successful....
Oof. Shark move be damned. Drove by the place at 730a and decided I just didn't have the patience after seeing the huge line. It just drained the desire out of me.
My FIL showed up at the local Apple store at 7am. His view from outside of the store...

Ok this is a really dumb question BUT why would you go stand in line if you have a reservation?I see people in the reserved line out there at like 4am, I don't get it. Don't you have all day to pick up your reservation?
I'm curious about this also. I reserved one and plan on going at lunchtime. I hope Apple understands the concept of the reservation and doesn't give my phone away to those other dorks who just showed up.I would have had it shipped, but because I'm adding a line I was onlly able to reserve it.This morning's newscast showed Apple letting in people from the reservation line one at a time.

Watching HLN (Robin :confused: ) this morning. They're estimating 5000 people at an Atlanta Apple store. CRAZY!

Ok this is a really dumb question BUT why would you go stand in line if you have a reservation?

I see people in the reserved line out there at like 4am, I don't get it. Don't you have all day to pick up your reservation?
Because the reservation line is also a line. And it may continue to be a line all day. I don't care how many people they have working, even though you have a reservation, there is still going to be some lag time getting your iPhone, having it configured, etc. I would be just as happy taking 2 minutes to run by there, pick it up, pay for it and figure out how to configure it myself. Is that even an option? Any FBG's pick their phone up at the iStore yet?

I did a Twitter search for the store I'm picking my phone up at and will probably just monitor that to see if things let up at all.

Because the reservation line is also a line. And it may continue to be a line all day. I don't care how many people they have working, even though you have a reservation, there is still going to be some lag time getting your iPhone, having it configured, etc. I would be just as happy taking 2 minutes to run by there, pick it up, pay for it and figure out how to configure it myself. Is that even an option? Any FBG's pick their phone up at the iStore yet?

I did a Twitter search for the store I'm picking my phone up at and will probably just monitor that to see if things let up at all.
Interesting.....the latest tweet from my local...
Wow they just sent every one who didn't have a reservation for the iPhone home. Don't bother coming to dadeland without a reservation
Maybe I will be going back sooner rather than later.

Interesting.....the latest tweet from my local...
Wow they just sent every one who didn't have a reservation for the iPhone home. Don't bother coming to dadeland without a reservation
Maybe I will be going back sooner rather than later.
Did the same thing here, announced to everyone in line if you don't have a phone reserved you will not be helped.

otis/others who have had phones delivered the their homes.... do i just have to pop my sim card in and im good to go?
the instructions said to use the sim card that came with it. I had to call to activate my new card/phone though.since I upgraded from a non-iphone, I have no idea how to transfer my old contacts to my new phone. sim cards are completely different.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why does Otis get so worked up? He doesn't even own an Iphone.
Who's "worked up"? I can't make observations?
You seem to really dislike people attacking in anyway on the Apple Iphone which you don't even have. What gives?
The thing is no one is attacking the iPhone. I would rather be informed about issues prior to purchase of any device. I am pretty sure that why Engadget is posting information about the issues. Otis just likes hearing him self type. Best to ignore him.Can't touch this

Possible reason for yellow spots, goes away after ahile?

otis/others who have had phones delivered the their homes.... do i just have to pop my sim card in and im good to go?
the instructions said to use the sim card that came with it. I had to call to activate my new card/phone though.since I upgraded from a non-iphone, I have no idea how to transfer my old contacts to my new phone. sim cards are completely different.
So if you buy a phone from the store is it more expensive than through AT&T?

Just got mine. It was up and running in about 15 minutes. I had a 3G prior and I am stunned by how much better the 4 is. It's pretty amazing.

No yellow spots or issues with reception when holding for me.

You seem to really dislike people attacking in anyway on the Apple Iphone which you don't even have. What gives?
The thing is no one is attacking the iPhone. I would rather be informed about issues prior to purchase of any device. I am pretty sure that why Engadget is posting information about the issues. Otis just likes hearing him self type. Best to ignore him.Can't touch this

So how is this any different than my posting about the issues with EVO in that thread? I was uniformly attacked for posting about battery issues and screen problems and was labeled a fanboy. Fact is the EVO guys troll iPhone threads non-stop then cry to the mods when we participate into their threads.

Ideally you'll want to sync your address book from your old phone to your computer (if your contacts aren't already there), then back into the iPhone. Apple's whole approach with their portable devices (iPod, iPhone, iPad) is that your computer is your main hub through iTunes. The idea is that you keep everything stored on your computer (contacts, music, video, apps... etc.) and sync to your devices from there. That way it's all available to every device instead of using the portable itself as the main storage location.

No. Same prices.

Can anyone tell me why my iPhone always drops its Wi-Fi connection? I'll be sitting at home browsing, try to load a page and get nothing. Go into the settings, turn off wi-fi, turn it back on and everything is fine for a random amount of time.

It is not my home wireless causing the problem.

No. Same prices.
But it's cheaper with a contract right? Thinking about switching when my time is up to see if it's cheaper. Love my "other smartphone" and hate AT&T but Verizon prices are starting to annoy me.

Ideally you'll want to sync your address book from your old phone to your computer (if your contacts aren't already there),
no idea how to do this. my phone has no way to connect to a computer that I'm aware of.

No. Same prices.
But it's cheaper with a contract right? Thinking about switching when my time is up to see if it's cheaper. Love my "other smartphone" and hate AT&T but Verizon prices are starting to annoy me.
I haven't seen any announcement of non-contract prices. The previous iPhones were around $650 without a contract. The phone is subsidized by ATT with the contract. I'm assuming they aren't selling any non-contract yet with the high demand.

Ideally you'll want to sync your address book from your old phone to your computer (if your contacts aren't already there),
no idea how to do this. my phone has no way to connect to a computer that I'm aware of.
Start typing GB

Good lord, is it rotary? :goodposting:

Good lord, is it rotary? :coffee:
well, I'm sure it can. I just never had to in the past and am not sure I have the right cord/equipment to do so. I'm also probably too lazy to figure it out.

So how is this any different than my posting about the issues with EVO in that thread? I was uniformly attacked for posting about battery issues and screen problems and was labeled a fanboy. Fact is the EVO guys troll iPhone threads non-stop then cry to the mods when we participate into their threads.
Your credibility is shot and you never add anything interesting. All you do is tout Apple as the best while blame anything wrong with Apple on ATT or someone else. You have zero objectivity when it comes to Apple products and clearly have shown your insecurity when anyone provides constructive criticism. At least with Otis I do feel like he's partially doing his shtick to fan the flames since he doesn't even have an Iphone but with you, you are Lhucks Pac 10 level.

Your credibility is shot and you never add anything interesting. All you do is tout Apple as the best while blame anything wrong with Apple on ATT or someone else. You have zero objectivity when it comes to Apple products and clearly have shown your insecurity when anyone provides constructive criticism. At least with Otis I do feel like he's partially doing his shtick to fan the flames since he doesn't even have an Iphone but with you, you are Lhucks Pac 10 level.
My "credibility" has nothing to do with it when I'm posting links to established websites and bloggers. I'm not personally writing the EVO reviews for the NY Times and Engadget, genius. :unsure:

My "credibility" has nothing to do with it when I'm posting links to established websites and bloggers. I'm not personally writing the EVO reviews for the NY Times and Engadget, genius. :nerd:
Any negative link regarding Apple = you hate / discreditAny positive link regarding Apple = you postCongrats! Never mind that when you post said positive links I've already read themAgain, your insecurity is on par with Lhucks Pac 10 shtickWe all get it, you crave to be FBG #1 fanboi but you add nada except links most have already read

My "credibility" has nothing to do with it when I'm posting links to established websites and bloggers. I'm not personally writing the EVO reviews for the NY Times and Engadget, genius. :nerd:
Any negative link regarding Apple = you hate / discreditAny positive link regarding Apple = you post

Congrats! Never mind that when you post said positive links I've already read them

Again, your insecurity is on par with Lhucks Pac 10 shtick

We all get it, you crave to be FBG #1 fanboi but you add nada except links most have already read
You need to spend some time actually reading my posts in between your pathetic trolling, GB. :nerd:

Seriously - knock it off. More then a couple of you are starting to look ridiculous. Despite protestations to the contrary, lots of the "I never said anything bad about phone X" people are, in fact, the people who did say something bad about phone X. I suspect things would go a lot more smoothly for everyone if we all stick to the task at hand and keep the "YOU"RE A FAN BOY NO IM NOT APPLE SUCKS SO DOES THE EVO THE IPHONE DROPS CALLS THE EVOS BATTERY IS THE WORST" stuff out of this. Thanks.

My "credibility" has nothing to do with it when I'm posting links to established websites and bloggers. I'm not personally writing the EVO reviews for the NY Times and Engadget, genius. :confused:
Any negative link regarding Apple = you hate / discreditAny positive link regarding Apple = you post

Congrats! Never mind that when you post said positive links I've already read them

We all get it, you crave to be FBG #1 fanboi but you add nada except links most have already read
You need to spend some time actually reading my posts in between your pathetic trolling, GB. :lmao:
I suggest you live by your words, if you decide to then you'll see that I've added a lot more informative, relative information than you have.

My "credibility" has nothing to do with it when I'm posting links to established websites and bloggers. I'm not personally writing the EVO reviews for the NY Times and Engadget, genius. :confused:

You need to spend some time actually reading my posts in between your pathetic trolling, GB. :lmao:
I suggest you live by your words, if you decide to then you'll see that I've added a lot more informative, relative information than you have.
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Seriously - knock it off. More then a couple of you are starting to look ridiculous. Despite protestations to the contrary, lots of the "I never said anything bad about phone X" people are, in fact, the people who did say something bad about phone X. I suspect things would go a lot more smoothly for everyone if we all stick to the task at hand and keep the "YOU"RE A FAN BOY NO IM NOT APPLE SUCKS SO DOES THE EVO THE IPHONE DROPS CALLS THE EVOS BATTERY IS THE WORST" stuff out of this. Thanks.
Last time I'm posting anything about this. Next will be mass post deletion and timeouts. This has been a major league waste of time.

I'm assuming posts like the one below kinda stir up the locals in the EVO thread.
iPhone Killah!!

My iP4 story..

Showed up to the Apple Store at 4:30 am. (I wake up at 4 so it wasn't a problem) Got a number'd ticket and ended up being about the 400th person in line and I didn't have a preorder. Sometime later two 14 yr old girls walked by and offered up two spots in line for $100 each. Nobody really said anything, they just went on trying to sell it. About a half an hour later she came by again asking for $50 for one spot. People started to shoo her away and told her nobody wanted her spot.

Then later on Starbucks opened so I had my spot saved and went to get a cup of coffee. The same girl came inside and said "anybody want my spot for $20?". I looked up, nobody answered so I figured ...Hell, I'll take it. Hand her a $20, get my coffee and walk to the front of the line. :cookie:

Met the people around me, they all seemed pretty cool, got on the news and was asked a few questions.

'Bout an hour later I got in, bought 3 phones. (My cousin works there so I lucked out getting the 3rd. Bought for my brother & dad since we're on the same account.)

Now I'm at work setting this baby up.

So far, so good. :lol:

I'm assuming posts like the one below kinda stir up the locals in the EVO thread.
iPhone Killah!!
It was the thread's subtitle. :lol:

Bingo.

iPhone Killah!!
It was the thread's subtitle. :thumbup:
:thumbup:

Bingo.
So now being asked to stop in two threads mean you continue to just blame others for your own actions?Just stop.

You don't have either phone...yet you spend you time posting about both of them.

Get a grip.

They are both excellent phones.

Both have their bugs and issues.

Both have advantages over the other one in certain areas.

Just freaking get over it.

I've been reading up on the 2 main issues that have come up so far.

Yellow spots: Apparently this could be due to the bonding agent (glue) used to secure the screen to the phone. It may not have completely dried yet. Give it a couple days and see if it goes away. If it doesn't, Apple will (should?) exchange it.

Antennae: I kinda had high hopes for this since Jobs touted it during WDDC. ATT reception is pretty bad here so I was hoping this would help. Apparently the antenna design had some known issues among antenna engineers (pardon the Google translation).

Apple says this is a software issue and they'll be issuing a software patch for this. I don't believe this for a bit. Any software patch will probably just disguise the problem by preventing the bars from dropping. This is definitely a hardware issue.

The good news is that this can probably be worked around if you use a case that covers the sides (preventing your hands from touching the metal band) or the Apple bumper. This will work out for my wife since I was planning on buying a bumper anyways. Some people are theorizing that Apple was aware of this issue and that is why they made bumpers to begin with, but who knows. Either way, a good PR move by Apple would be to give these away. I'm not sure if there's a way to fix this in future production runs without completely changing the antenna design.

And yeah, I'd definitely get a case, just in case. Simple physics tells you glass on both sides and a drop on a corner won't yield good results.

With all that said, still getting iphone for the wife. Haters/fanbois aside, ALL initial product runs have problems. Doesn't matter if you're Apple or HTC or whoever. I realize people are inclined to come here and give a /Nelson Ha Ha /Nelson after some of the pissing going on in the Android/EVO threads, but let's give it a rest. Both are great phones.

EVOs and Iphones can get along in my household, why can't the fanboys?

I look forward to your follow up when the problem is resolved.(yeah, right)
Just posting info ####ting in another Apple thread, Chief.
:thumbup:
Didn't even say anything, boss. Just posted a link that some may find interesting. How's your iPhone treating you so far, how's the screen? Serious question... (I won't be up at our Scottsdale office until Monday to actually have hands on)

Users who are viewing this thread