What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Apple iPhone Thread (2 Viewers)

Fiance's having the signal dropout also. It's pretty lame.

She needs a case anyway so it probably won't make too much difference in the long run. Hopefully, Apple rectifies the situation in the coming weeks before our return period expires.

I don't think they knew. Most testing on antennae are done with the head in mind and do not account for the hands.

Also, this is sort of funny: http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/25/hey-app...lding-it-wrong/
Right but even when it's next to your head you're holding it with your hands.I can see how the evo could have similar issues when it's not being grounded (aka held in your hand) because how often do you use your phone without holding it?

I was under the impression that this was a software glitch and th signal wasn't actually being lost despite what the screen showed, if that's wrong apple dropped the ball big time.

Unless this antenna issue actually affects performance when you're using the device -- and all reports are that this thing is WAY better in terms of dropped calls and reception than older models -- then isn't this sort of a "who cares"? The fact that you have to sit down and focus and hold it in an odd way to reproduce the problem to me means it doesn't seem like a very big problem.

This is sort of like when you go into the doctor and make some odd twisting/bending motion without body and tell the doctor "Doc, it hurts when I do this." The doctor's reply? "Don't do that."

Also, this apparently isn't iPhone4 specific. Per Engadget:

" Admittedly, this isn't a problem that exists only for the iPhone 4 -- we've seen reports of the same behavior on previous generations (the 3G and 3GS), and there is a running thread about this problem with the Nexus One"

Unless this antenna issue actually affects performance when you're using the device -- and all reports are that this thing is WAY better in terms of dropped calls and reception than older models -- then isn't this sort of a "who cares"? The fact that you have to sit down and focus and hold it in an odd way to reproduce the problem to me means it doesn't seem like a very big problem.

This is sort of like when you go into the doctor and make some odd twisting/bending motion without body and tell the doctor "Doc, it hurts when I do this." The doctor's reply? "Don't do that."
If you just got a new BB and this was the issue, what do you think?

Also, this apparently isn't iPhone4 specific. Per Engadget:" Admittedly, this isn't a problem that exists only for the iPhone 4 -- we've seen reports of the same behavior on previous generations (the 3G and 3GS), and there is a running thread about this problem with the Nexus One"
How about the Evo?

If you just got a new BB and this was the issue, what do you think?
If it didn't impact my use of the BB at all, I'd think "who cares."

Unless this antenna issue actually affects performance when you're using the device -- and all reports are that this thing is WAY better in terms of dropped calls and reception than older models -- then isn't this sort of a "who cares"? The fact that you have to sit down and focus and hold it in an odd way to reproduce the problem to me means it doesn't seem like a very big problem.This is sort of like when you go into the doctor and make some odd twisting/bending motion without body and tell the doctor "Doc, it hurts when I do this." The doctor's reply? "Don't do that."
: confused: lots of people are coming forward saying they are having call problems, including a few here.

Also, this apparently isn't iPhone4 specific. Per Engadget:" Admittedly, this isn't a problem that exists only for the iPhone 4 -- we've seen reports of the same behavior on previous generations (the 3G and 3GS), and there is a running thread about this problem with the Nexus One"
How about the Evo?
Article doesn't say. Could be. You'd know better than I would. :lmao:

: confused: lots of people are coming forward saying they are having call problems, including a few here.
:lmao: I'm admittedly skimming this thread, but I haven't seen one post on this. But Engadget is apparently saying that they can make it drop calls. :thumbup:

The fact that some people can't make phone calls without getting dropped on their phone doesn't seem like a very big problem? What would you define as a big problem for a cell phone?

Last edited by a moderator:
The fact that some people can't make phone calls without getting dropped on their phone doesn't seem like a very big problem? What would you define as a big problem for a cell phone?
Are you here right now?

Unless this antenna issue actually affects performance when you're using the device -- and all reports are that this thing is WAY better in terms of dropped calls and reception than older models -- then isn't this sort of a "who cares"? The fact that you have to sit down and focus and hold it in an odd way to reproduce the problem to me means it doesn't seem like a very big problem.This is sort of like when you go into the doctor and make some odd twisting/bending motion without body and tell the doctor "Doc, it hurts when I do this." The doctor's reply? "Don't do that."
Yea, if this thread is any indication this is going to be a huge issue. I am curious though for the people who HAD to have the first Iphone 4 if they are really going to take it back or not.

Ned is frustrated apparently.i agree with you that its short of a who cares problem if the device does what it its supposed to do. But part of the allure of a new device, and part of why people get it as son as possible is the idea that it will be as promised out if the box.

Are you here right now?
Posted from a desktop, not an iphone. Seriously though, what would you define as being a very big problem for a cell phone?

Ned is frustrated apparently.i agree with you that its short of a who cares problem if the device does what it its supposed to do. But part of the allure of a new device, and part of why people get it as son as possible is the idea that it will be as promised out if the box.
I guess Apple's Iphone4 slogan "this changes everything" took on a different meaning.

no dropped calls for me, but the speaker volume seems really low when I'm on the phone even though I have it cranked to maximum. :blackdot:

even when doing the speed test, I had to make an effort to lower the signal by wrapping as much of my hand around the phone as possible. if I'm holding it normally, the signal weakens a little but not enough to lose it completely.

:confused: I'm admittedly skimming this thread, but I haven't seen one post on this. But Engadget is apparently saying that they can make it drop calls. :shrug:
Well this antenna issue is Fn annoying already. I've already dropped more calls (3) than I have in the past month with my 3G.

I can sit there with it flat in my hand (not touching sides) and have a full signal. Grab the sides like I'm ready to make a call and watch it go all the way down to 'Searching' within a minute or so. Just like that dude's video. :thumbdown:

"Gripping any phone will result in some attenuation of its antenna performance, with certain places being worse than others depending on the placement of the antennas. This is a fact of life for every wireless phone," reads an official Apple statement on Thursday.

"If you ever experience this on your iPhone 4, avoid gripping it in the lower left corner in a way that covers both sides of the black strip in the metal band, or simply use one of many available cases," the statement concludes.

Jobs also replied to a few complaints sent to his e-mail inbox. One MacRumors reader asked Jobs what is going to be done about the signal dropping issue, and the Apple CEO replied in his typical brief manner: "Non issue. Just avoid holding it in that way."

Spencer Webb, an antenna designer, explains on his blog that the iPhone 4 has two symmetrical slots in the metal frame, which when covered, will affect antenna performance. "There is no way around this, it's a design compromise that is forced by the requirements of the FCC, AT&T, Apple's marketing department and Apple's industrial designers, to name a few," Webb wrote.
http://www.pcworld.com/article/199853/appl....html?tk=hp_pop
Apple currently sells a $29 rubber "Bumper Case" for the iPhone 4 (pictured above), which covers only the sides of the device, something that made Mashable's Barb Dybwad ask whether this indicates that Apple already knew about the potential reception issues with the phone.

Otis said:
Abraham said:
Otis said:

:thumbdown: I'm admittedly skimming this thread, but I haven't seen one post on this. But Engadget is apparently saying that they can make it drop calls. :confused:
My iphone 4 is dropping calls and 3G data transfer is halted when I hold the thing in my left hand

So, uhhhhh....Where'd the email trash bin go? I cleaned out my inbox and it still shows (3) unread emails in my box (but no emails are actually there). However, all I have is an Inbox. :thumbdown:

Otis said:
Abraham said:
Otis said:

:pickle: I'm admittedly skimming this thread, but I haven't seen one post on this. But Engadget is apparently saying that they can make it drop calls. :pickle:
My iphone 4 is dropping calls and 3G data transfer is halted when I hold the thing in my left hand
:pickle:

wow, someone needs to notify homer about this

Apple's new FaceTime feature on the iPhone 4 allows you to make a video call to someone else who can see your image and vice versa. It's a real advance in communications, but with it comes a huge privacy problem.

First, teens can use it to send what this space is the first to name as a "sexvid" and lead to practices of "sexviding", where a person sends a sexual FaceTime video call to someone else. Second, the FaceTime communications are not secure, so anyone can pick up your FaceTime call, video and all, without your knowing it.

Let's think about this: a teen making a "sexviding' call on the iPhone 4 could have that picked up by someone else who's on the WiFi signal they're using.

So if a teen sends a sexvid, Apple can know the location of the teenager who did it. But Apple can also know the location of anyone using FaceTime at any time.

Apple's privacy problem doesn't stop there. The iPhone 4 maker can also know if their users have jailbroken their iPhone to escape AT&T. The iPhone 4 system sends what are called "Over The Air" (OTA) updates to Apple every 7 to 14 days.

Why is Alpha leaking this information to the blogsphere? Again, he writes:

The reason why I am leaking some of this info is cause I don’t think its right that we are essentially controlling peoples iPhones.

Its their property once it leaves our retail stores and people need to know what they are getting into.

He also reports that many Apple employees aren't using iPhone 4.

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/abraha...5#ixzz0rsK27k5v

Otis said:
Abraham said:
Otis said:

:thumbup: I'm admittedly skimming this thread, but I haven't seen one post on this. But Engadget is apparently saying that they can make it drop calls. :lmao:
Who cares? You should stop sitting down and focusing on holding it in an odd way trying to reproduce a problem that is not very big.Signed,

iOtis

Otis said:
Abraham said:
Otis said:

:thumbup: I'm admittedly skimming this thread, but I haven't seen one post on this. But Engadget is apparently saying that they can make it drop calls. :lmao:
Who cares? You should stop sitting down and focusing on holding it in an odd way trying to reproduce a problem that is not very big.Signed,

iOtis
:snicker:

Otis said:
I've had issues with my Nexus One's connection with the network lately. This didn't happen for the first few months I had it though, very odd.

Admittedly I bash Apple quite a bit, but this seems very un-Apple like, especially their response to the issue. I wonder if Steve assigned someone to address it and they said the wrong thing. I can't believe they'd actually tell you to hold it different or buy a $30 case to fix the issue. If anything they should give all iPhone 4 buyers a credit for a free band, that should alleviate some of the backlash.

So, uhhhhh....Where'd the email trash bin go? I cleaned out my inbox and it still shows (3) unread emails in my box (but no emails are actually there). However, all I have is an Inbox. :shrug:
Now I'm getting new email beeps, seeing the (count) update, but nothing is in my inbox. I have no clue WTF this thing is doing any more.

Dr. Manhattan said:
Very dissapointing.I'll still be shocked if this is actually an" hardware issue, how do they not test for this?? Defintely sticking with my 3GS until this is resolvrd.
How could holding the phone one way or adding a case be a software issue? There was another article in this post that had an antenna expert that described what is happening. I'm pretty sure they would have tested reception of the phone so this is a mystery as to why it is happening now. Maybe it is somehow related to why they are having issues with manufacturing white phones.

Admittedly I bash Apple quite a bit, but this seems very un-Apple like, especially their response to the issue. I wonder if Steve assigned someone to address it and they said the wrong thing. I can't believe they'd actually tell you to hold it different or buy a $30 case to fix the issue. If anything they should give all iPhone 4 buyers a credit for a free band, that should alleviate some of the backlash.
Direct quote I believe from JobsThis Changes Everything

Walton Goggins said:
Abraham said:
Otis said:
Yea, if this thread is any indication this is going to be a huge issue. I am curious though for the people who HAD to have the first Iphone 4 if they are really going to take it back or not.
Lots more of complaints in the Apple forums around the Net. That's where Engadget picked up on it.

If they gave every iPhone 4 buyer a credit for a free band, the company would get a lot of good will (not that they need it) and keep their customers relatively happy at probably a very minimal cost.

If they gave every iPhone 4 buyer a credit for a free band, the company would get a lot of good will (not that they need it) and keep their customers relatively happy at probably a very minimal cost.
This isn't the first time Apple has trotted out something that was sub-par. Remember the easily cracked / messed up screen on the Nano? I would be shocked if Apple gave a rebate / credit since Jobs has already said it's not a big deal or just go by a protective case for it. You think Apple Iphone buyers are going to take it back? Yea, right.

My friend just brought his by for me to try out and I saw the cause of the issue and don't think it's THAT big of a deal. Of course it would be better if they had a design that didn't have the potential signal issue, but the pros still outweigh the cons and its not a big enough problem to me to not pick one up at the next opportunity (6/29).

So, uhhhhh....Where'd the email trash bin go? I cleaned out my inbox and it still shows (3) unread emails in my box (but no emails are actually there). However, all I have is an Inbox. :lmao:
Now I'm getting new email beeps, seeing the (count) update, but nothing is in my inbox. I have no clue WTF this thing is doing any more.
In Mail Settings, I turned of 'Organize By Thread' and all of my 'phantom' emails were now visible in my inbox. Still no trash bin though.

My friend just brought his by for me to try out and I saw the cause of the issue and don't think it's THAT big of a deal. Of course it would be better if they had a design that didn't have the potential signal issue, but the pros still outweigh the cons and its not a big enough problem to me to not pick one up at the next opportunity (6/29).
Can you explain this to me?Is there any chance of just being able to walk into an Apple store and pick one up any time soon?

So where/what are the "slots" or whatever on the antennae/casing that are to be avoided to keep signal strength?

Another weird OS4 issue: When I'm in email, it will say "downloading 4 of 8" etc., but then I only have 2 emails or something like that. They are not hiding in the email threads. I checked that. Weird.

Wonder how silly those people that slept outside an Apple store feel right about now when they figured out their phones were defective? Not like they would admit it anyways.

A cell phone that fits in your hand has interference when your hand is put over the antenna? OMG!!!!!

Next complaint, chocolate melts in your hands if you hold it long enough (M&M's excepted). DESIGN FLAW!

C'mon peoples.

A cell phone that fits in your hand has interference when your hand is put over the antenna? OMG!!!!!Next complaint, chocolate melts in your hands if you hold it long enough (M&M's excepted). DESIGN FLAW!C'mon peoples.
Serious question: knowing what they know now about the performance, do you think the APple engineers would have made it the same way? If the answer is "no" then the error was preventable and could/should have been. I am only interested because this is not the kind of thing that happens to Apple. They have a perch high above because they deliver consistent, high quality, well built products EVERY time. Having an exception to that rule, particularly on their flagship device, is not good for them.

A cell phone that fits in your hand has interference when your hand is put over the antenna? OMG!!!!!Next complaint, chocolate melts in your hands if you hold it long enough (M&M's excepted). DESIGN FLAW!C'mon peoples.
:lmao: So, not an issue. Right?

You #######s need to stop sending emails to me about this antenna issue

So everybody is up in arms now after it turns out that iPhone 4 can’t pick up signals when you’re holding it in your hand, because the band around the phone is the antenna and if you’re touching the antenna it screws everything up.

First of all, this is not a big issue. If you’re experiencing this, most likely it’s not the phone at all — most likely you’re just living in a place where there’s bad reception, in which case the solution is simple: you need to move.

Or maybe you’re living in a place with good reception but you just need to buy a bumper for your phone and/or wear latex gloves while holding the phone.

Or you can try going bare-handed and just learn how to hold your ####### phone properly. Either way, it’s no big deal. As I’ve already told like a thousand ####### people who have written me personal emails today, there is absolutely nothing wrong with the antenna on iPhone 4. There is no design flaw. The phone is perfect. It is a magical and revolutionary device. It changes everything. Again. Just keep telling yourself that. If someone gives you #### because you stood in line for six hours to get a phone that can’t make phone calls when you’re holding it, just change the subject and tell them about the awesome retina display.

Anyway, for those who need a tutorial on how to hold a phone, just go to this page on Gizmodo, where they show you how to do it. And yes, it galls me to link to Gizmodo, but it also galls me that we have to teach people how to hold a mobile phone. I mean it’s not like we’re the only ones whose phone goes out when you hold it in your bare hand. All mobile phones do this. Have you never noticed?

Meanwhile we’ve got losers out there pretending they’re the dorks from MythBusters, conducting experiments on iPhone 4, like this:

And, worse yet, Katie says the ##### at the New York Times are working on a big scary story about this non-issue for tomorrow’s edition. We’ve reached out to Sully Sulzberger, the publisher of the Times, reminding him of the very special relationship we have with the Times and assuring him that the last thing we want to see happen is for that relationship to be damaged in any way.

Meanwhile, others are piling on. Engadget says it’s “bad design” and we should give out free bumpers to everyone. TechCrunch says our suggestion that people simply learn to hold their phones differently is “a bit unreasonable.” AllThingsD says if it’s really true that all mobile phones have this exact same problem, “why haven’t we heard complaints like this about `every wireless phone?’ Why hasn’t RIM issued instructions for a proper BlackBerry handhold?”

The answer, of course, is that RIM doesn’t care about customers the way we do. Honestly, what other company has a billionaire CEO who will sit at his desk for hours and hours personally answering thousands of emails, one after another, telling people how to hold his product? And can I tell you how hard I am fighting the urge to suggest to people that they try shoving the thing up their butt and see what kind of reception they get then?

And then there’s the yellow screen thing. That’s a straight slap in the face from the bastards working on the production line at Foxconn. Don’t get me started, honestly.
http://www.fakesteve.net/2010/06/you-assho...enna-issue.html

Can you explain this to me?Is there any chance of just being able to walk into an Apple store and pick one up any time soon?
I need to purchase from ATT for a couple of reasons. I was told by my local ATT store and someone on chat at the ATT website that on 6/29 they would start taking orders again and also have some phones available in stores but they could not confirm the number that would be in stock.

On a more serious note, yeah, this is a hardware problem. It's not a defect or a production line error, it's just poor design.

As I posted before, how seriously this affects you has a lot to do with how good your signal is to begin with. Great signal, little to no noticeable performance loss. Not so great signal, you'll notice it.

Again, using a case or bumper should alleviate this entirely. I seriously doubt Apple had no idea this was a problem. I remember during the announcement when they revealed the bumpers and I was kinda like ?. Apple never made cases for any of their iphones. Heck they even stopped selling screen protectors. I thought it had something to do the glass on the back and realizing it might have something to do with fragility, but now I'm not so sure.

Call AppleCare and complain about the antenna issue. Keep pressing them (politely) and you'll get a free bumper more likely than not.

I don't know if exchanging your phone will make a difference now. I'm trying to see if there's a way they can really fix this without doing a total redesign. I've read that it might be possible to apply some kind of coating around the band to reduce conductivity but this is just conjecture. I think we'll be stuck with this.

For people who don't want to use cases/bumpers, I've heard you can put scotch tape, electrical tape, or a bandaid around the lower left side antenna band to help. Seriously.

Disclaimer: I'm not a RF Engineer. :confused:

So where/what are the "slots" or whatever on the antennae/casing that are to be avoided to keep signal strength?Another weird OS4 issue: When I'm in email, it will say "downloading 4 of 8" etc., but then I only have 2 emails or something like that. They are not hiding in the email threads. I checked that. Weird.
I have the same email issue. I turned off the threads and they all 'came back'. Annoying.

C'mon dude. There's a big difference between losing a bar or 2 vs. completely losing a signal. And now they're telling me it's because I'm a lefty? GTFOTheir cure is to not hold it a certain way for lefties or buy the bumper. They should've just left the antenna inside if that is what's needed. They dropped the ball on this. Plain and simple.

Users who are viewing this thread