What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Android apps (1 Viewer)

Word Feud (similar to word for friends on iphone) is addictive.

Anyone want to play, pm me for my username

Last edited by a moderator:
Just got my 2.2 update. Seemless so far. I like the new quick buttons at the bottom. Where can I find a list of new features?
Now i can't scroll to all my apps. Gotta figure out a fix for this.
Pressing the center button (looks like four by four dots) replaces the old swipe-up menu to get to your appps. The phone and browser buttons free up two spots on your main desktop. The dots on either side are navigation buttons to get to your other desktop pages. I used to only have three pages of desktop on my Droid, but got upgraded to five with 2.2.I don't have Flash yet, though. The Adobe site says that Flash for Android 2.2 has been released to partners and that the upgrade path for my phone depends on Motorola, but that Flash will be coming soon.

Just got my 2.2 update. Seemless so far. I like the new quick buttons at the bottom. Where can I find a list of new features?
Pressing the center button (looks like four by four dots) replaces the old swipe-up menu to get to your appps. The phone and browser buttons free up two spots on your main desktop. The dots on either side are navigation buttons to get to your other desktop pages. I used to only have three pages of desktop on my Droid, but got upgraded to five with 2.2.I don't have Flash yet, though. The Adobe site says that Flash for Android 2.2 has been released to partners and that the upgrade path for my phone depends on Motorola, but that Flash will be coming soon.
Any trouble with streaming audio? There's a "bug" (seems it could be fixed by app or OS) on 2.2 (most recent builds) where audio quality on streams (Pandora, Sirius, etc) went to crap. I'm not upgrading until I know Pandora will sound at least as good as it does now. I use it for hours every day.http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=9308

Any trouble with streaming audio? There's a "bug" (seems it could be fixed by app or OS) on 2.2 (most recent builds) where audio quality on streams (Pandora, Sirius, etc) went to crap. I'm not upgrading until I know Pandora will sound at least as good as it does now. I use it for hours every day.http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=9308
Thanks for the headsup...big Pandora fan here and like you will wait until the kinks are worked out.

I don't have Flash yet, though. The Adobe site says that Flash for Android 2.2 has been released to partners and that the upgrade path for my phone depends on Motorola, but that Flash will be coming soon.
The final release has not been added to the market yet, so most Froyo users are running the latest beta of the Flash Player.Go to this link on your phone to start downloading the apk: http://www.mediafire.com/?thgjj5ma2jn

PhoneMyPC is sick and worth it at 10 bucks.

Basically its like LogMeIn but much cheaper.

If your a parent with a child at home on PC you can moniter what he is doing whenever you want with such an app and you can always get to those files you must see when you are away from home or work

So what's with the new update with The incredible? I'm assuming it won't be long. I can already watch videos. How much more will I get when getting a more advanced flash?

I like SMS Backup.

program that takes all your text messages and imports them into gmail. Makes it easy to search for old texts you have through gmail rather than on the phone.

Some new Google apps/features rolled out today to Froyo users...

- new voice command features - Voice Search, despite its name, now lets you do more than just search: It will let users send texts, compose e-mails, call businesses, navigate, jot notes, and set the alarm on their phone by just speaking into the device.

- Chrome-to-Phone - Google also launched a mobile sync app to link its Chrome browser to Android 2.2 devices. The tool lets users on Google’s Chrome browser click an icon to send a webpage or a map to their phone. The page or map is then almost immediately available on the phone.

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2010/08/goo...t=Google+Reader

Also a new version of gesture search...Android app from Google Labs that lets you search by writing out characters on the touchscreen of your device.

http://googlemobile.blogspot.com/2010/08/f...t=Google+Reader

Is there anything I should know about my Nexus One battery? I've had it for a few days, seems like it drains fast. Just plugged it into the charger a half-hour ago, lock screen said "Charging (97%)", now it says "Charging (91%)" :confused:

Is there anything I should know about my Nexus One battery? I've had it for a few days, seems like it drains fast. Just plugged it into the charger a half-hour ago, lock screen said "Charging (97%)", now it says "Charging (91%)" :football:
Do you have a lot of apps/widgets running?Things like twitter, weather channel, or anything else that is constantly updating will drain the battery. You can change settings so they don't refresh as often. Or change so it doesn't auto update at all and you manually refresh when you use the app.

Is there anything I should know about my Nexus One battery? I've had it for a few days, seems like it drains fast. Just plugged it into the charger a half-hour ago, lock screen said "Charging (97%)", now it says "Charging (91%)" :football:
I have a N1, never had any battery issues at all, that sounds odd. Sorry.

:blackdot:

Picking up a Droid 2, maybe tomorrow. $149, not bad.

Finally gonna dump my Samsung Saga (WinMo 6.0) which is slow as a dog now

Is there anything I should know about my Nexus One battery? I've had it for a few days, seems like it drains fast. Just plugged it into the charger a half-hour ago, lock screen said "Charging (97%)", now it says "Charging (91%)" :blackdot:
Do you have a lot of apps/widgets running?Things like twitter, weather channel, or anything else that is constantly updating will drain the battery. You can change settings so they don't refresh as often. Or change so it doesn't auto update at all and you manually refresh when you use the app.
Pretty much shut everything down, not a lot of widgets or anything that updates more frequently that SportsTap at 6 hours. Even picked a static instead of a live wallpaper. I'll keep an eye on it, no idea why it would report the battery drained 6% while being plugged into the charger, with the screen off.

The Best Buy Mobile Movie App was a big hit with my 5 year old at the end of Despicable Me. Had people behind me crowding up as my phone was translating what the Minions were saying.

Can I snyc up my phone to the radio in my car? I'd love to do this
As stated use an FM modulator or if you have an old car like mine with a cassette player, just get a cheap cassette adapter like we used to use with the cd players. I use the google podcast app and listen to all of the audible programs on my way to and from work. :shrug:

I have had the droid X for about a week now. Way cooler than the blackberry. Love the finance aps. Ambling books ap is cool, but takes forever to DL a book. Battery life is major :thumbdown: . Size is taking some time to get used to. Everything else is cool.

Somehow my bluetooth stopped working today and I am not sure what I did. I hear the ringing through the bluetooth, and it chirps, phone says it is connected, but the call comes through on the handset.

As stated use an FM modulator or if you have an old car like mine with a cassette player, just get a cheap cassette adapter like we used to use with the cd players. I use the google podcast app and listen to all of the audible programs on my way to and from work. :thumbup:
No, I drive a Porsche like most other fbgs. These damn European cars. I guess that's the price you pay for driving an exotic car. ;)

I'm trying to decide between getting the Captivate and iPhone 4. I don't care much for the FaceTime and the lack of LED flash isn't a big concern so aside from those issues the Captivate and iPhone 4 are a near wash (FaceTime/LED Flash vs. Larger Screen/Expandable memory/Replaceable battery).

The deciding factor will be Android vs iOS and applications available to each. My GF and most of my friends with smartphones have iPhones so I'm pretty familiar with what Apple has to offer, but I'm completely clueless regarding Android.

So can you guys explain to me the cool things that Android has that iOS doesn't and how does the Android's apps stack up to Apples?

Some thing I know Android has over iOS....

- Swype keyboard

- Voice to Text

- Better Google Maps (turn by turn)

So what other perks does Android have?

I would also welcome any reviews of the Samsung Captivate as well!

No. 16 said:
I'm trying to decide between getting the Captivate and iPhone 4. I don't care much for the FaceTime and the lack of LED flash isn't a big concern so aside from those issues the Captivate and iPhone 4 are a near wash (FaceTime/LED Flash vs. Larger Screen/Expandable memory/Replaceable battery).The deciding factor will be Android vs iOS and applications available to each. My GF and most of my friends with smartphones have iPhones so I'm pretty familiar with what Apple has to offer, but I'm completely clueless regarding Android. So can you guys explain to me the cool things that Android has that iOS doesn't and how does the Android's apps stack up to Apples?Some thing I know Android has over iOS....- Swype keyboard- Voice to Text- Better Google Maps (turn by turn)So what other perks does Android have? I would also welcome any reviews of the Samsung Captivate as well!
Anyone?

:shrug: Picking up a Droid 2, maybe tomorrow. $149, not bad.Finally gonna dump my Samsung Saga (WinMo 6.0) which is slow as a dog now
Got it this morning.I may end up wasting most of my day at work playing with this thing.If I ever get some spare time I'm gonna start writing apps myself.

As stated use an FM modulator or if you have an old car like mine with a cassette player, just get a cheap cassette adapter like we used to use with the cd players. I use the google podcast app and listen to all of the audible programs on my way to and from work. :thumbup:
No, I drive a Porsche like most other fbgs. These damn European cars. I guess that's the price you pay for driving an exotic car. :thumbup:
I posted earlier about an FM transmitter that I used with my iPod but was waiting for my Droid X and had not tried it on the phone. I have had my Droid X know for a week and can tell you the FM transmitter works on my phone while running Pandora. I use the iRiver FM Transmitter but did not pay $44.00 for it...thats too much. That being said, the best FM transmitter I have ever used (I have used many) and if you can find it cheaper, I recommend this model. It uses an unused FM frequency on your car stereo and transmits the signal through your speakers ala a regular radio station. All you need is a cigarette lighter and your ready to go.

I am a Verizon customer and still don't have the 2.2 update for the Droid X. I called Verizon last night and per the customer service rep, they have no idea when 2.2 will be released. Very frustrating to have friends who have had the update for some time yet Verizon has no time table to release it to it's customers.

I like SMS Backup.program that takes all your text messages and imports them into gmail. Makes it easy to search for old texts you have through gmail rather than on the phone.
A Google Voice account will allow you to do this and a lot more. (The drawback is that your Google Voice number will be a new phone number, so your friends will have to update their contact lists, but it's way worth it IMO.) The Google Voice app for Android works great.

I'm trying to decide between getting the Captivate and iPhone 4. I don't care much for the FaceTime and the lack of LED flash isn't a big concern so aside from those issues the Captivate and iPhone 4 are a near wash (FaceTime/LED Flash vs. Larger Screen/Expandable memory/Replaceable battery).The deciding factor will be Android vs iOS and applications available to each. My GF and most of my friends with smartphones have iPhones so I'm pretty familiar with what Apple has to offer, but I'm completely clueless regarding Android. So can you guys explain to me the cool things that Android has that iOS doesn't and how does the Android's apps stack up to Apples?Some thing I know Android has over iOS....- Swype keyboard- Voice to Text- Better Google Maps (turn by turn)So what other perks does Android have? I would also welcome any reviews of the Samsung Captivate as well!
Anyone?
I've had the Captivate for about a week and a half. I am very pleased with it. The 16GB of onboard storage is great, plus having the ability to slap a 32GB mirco SD in there for 48GB total is :thumbup: My wife has the Iphone4 and I dont see what it can do that my Captivate can't. My phone is faster on the web. It doesnt have a forward facing camera like the Iphone4, but I dont plan on doing any video chatting.I have loaded it up with apps like Pandora, SportsTap, Google Goggles, ShopSavvy, QuickOffice and the Verizon FiOS DVR manager. The Pandora app and the Captivates 5.1 surround sound are terrific.Phone call quality is very good. It's taking me a while to get used to the touch screen keyboard, I have previously used physical keyboards on the Blackjack and BB.I think you will be very happy with the Captivate. The screen is top notch and the phone in general is first rate. It was also $100 less expensive than the Iphone4 32GB and will still be less expensive when I pop for the 32GB SD card.

Anyone had problems opening android market? Mine won't open and forces close. Restarted phone several times with no luck. Have motorola droid.

I got the 2.2 update yesterday. Now my phone keeps telling me "Phone storage space is getting low" and Text message memory is full.

When I check my memory I have 13.93 available on my SD card and 23.71 available on my internal.

Looking at my apps my only large on is Dialer Storage which is 17.34mb.

Any ideas what to do?

Just got a Captivate myself, I had the Backflip and liked that, but my wife wanted a Backflip also when her acc't came up for an upgrade recently. So instead, she got the Captivate and we switched SIM cards. Only had it a day now, so it's really premature to be judging, but it is a really nice phone. The screen is great, it is very snappy and I like the way it's setup. And I can verify that it can take a fall from about 4 feet up onto hardwood flooring :ph34r:I don't think you'd be disappointed with the Captivate at all, but then, you probably won't be with the iPhone 4 either. Both have a large selection of apps available, so it's unlikely that would end up being the determining factor.

I like SMS Backup.program that takes all your text messages and imports them into gmail. Makes it easy to search for old texts you have through gmail rather than on the phone.
A Google Voice account will allow you to do this and a lot more. (The drawback is that your Google Voice number will be a new phone number, so your friends will have to update their contact lists, but it's way worth it IMO.) The Google Voice app for Android works great.
I have Google Voice and use it quite a bit, but I do have a couple gripes with it to prevent me from making the full on switch.A major one is that when you text through GV sometimes the texts don't come in for about an hour. Unless I open up GV and manually refresh. I don't know if it's only my phone, but I looked through all the settings and can't see anything that would make texts come through faster.Another big downside is that call clarity isn't always the best depending on where I'm at.

Maelstrom said:
Just got a Captivate myself, I had the Backflip and liked that, but my wife wanted a Backflip also when her acc't came up for an upgrade recently. So instead, she got the Captivate and we switched SIM cards. Only had it a day now, so it's really premature to be judging, but it is a really nice phone. The screen is great, it is very snappy and I like the way it's setup. And I can verify that it can take a fall from about 4 feet up onto hardwood flooring :coffee:I don't think you'd be disappointed with the Captivate at all, but then, you probably won't be with the iPhone 4 either. Both have a large selection of apps available, so it's unlikely that would end up being the determining factor.
Thanks. I'm still undecided. Right now it's 50/50 for both. I was initially leaning towards the Captivate but the lack of games compared to iPhone, less then stellar reviews of the Java on Froyo, and the current issues with the Captivate GPS pushed me towards the iPhone, which can become nearly as powerful/customizable as an Android phone once it is jailbroken and it also holds value better than the Captivate would. I'm in no rush so I'll wait to see how this all plays out. Anyone know of any upcoming AT&T Android phone that could top the Captivate or iPhone 4?

How well does the Voice to Text work for Android? Also read about Google Voice Actions... has this come out yet?

videoguy505 said:
No. 16 said:
Google Voice Actions... has this come out yet?
I have it on my Nexus One, should be in the Market.Edit: You need two apps, an update to Voice Search and an update to Google Search, IIRC.
How well has it worked, especially when getting directions?

videoguy505 said:
No. 16 said:
I have it on my Nexus One, should be in the Market.Edit: You need two apps, an update to Voice Search and an update to Google Search, IIRC.
All it does is convert your voice to text, then send it to Google Maps... that is, if you say "Navigate to... McDonalds", a screen will pop up confirming it interpreted your voice right, you tap the right translation, and it'll send the text to Google Maps to figure out. It's just the same as if you typed it.

videoguy505 said:
No. 16 said:
All it does is convert your voice to text, then send it to Google Maps... that is, if you say "Navigate to... McDonalds", a screen will pop up confirming it interpreted your voice right, you tap the right translation, and it'll send the text to Google Maps to figure out. It's just the same as if you typed it.
The navigation app already has voice commands, how is this different? You don't even manually open the Navigation app?

A couple months in, here is where I am on my EVO....

Daily Use:

Swype

Evernote

Wells Fargo

Paypal

Ebay

Handcent

Wordpress

Pandora

Weekly USe:

Flixter

GoDaddy

Linked In (still not very good, hopefully they'll improve it.)

I Heart Radio

ESPN Scorecenter

Sometimes use:

Swiftkey

ShopSavvy

Solo LIte

XPiano

Useless Facts

Top Gun Soundboard

Lebowski Soundboard

Napolean Dynamite Soundboard

Sportstap

Retro Camera

NYTimes

Kindle

Never Use

Robo Defense

Borders Book Reader

ColorNOte

I also have a free fish-tank live background that is pretty sweet. I can even feed the fish. :coffee:

videoguy505 said:
No. 16 said:
The navigation app already has voice commands, how is this different? You don't even manually open the Navigation app?
Right, you just use the icon on your homescreen. It has several different commands it can interpret for you... so you just tap the icon once for just about anything you want to do, and the phone 1) analyzes what you said and turns it into text, then 2) sends the text to the appropriate app to deal with. You can start a sentence with any of: "Navigate to [business/city/street address]" for Google Maps Navigation, "Send text to [contact], [message]" for sms, "Listen to [band/song/album]" and it'll go to your music player, "Call [business] [location]" to dial, "Call [contact] [phone type (home/mobile)]" to dial a contact, "Send email to [contact] [subject] [message]" for email, "Map of [city/address]" for a plain Google Map, "Go to [website]" for the internet browser, or "Note to self [message]" to dictate a memo to yourself. If you don't start a sentence with those keywords, and just hit the icon and speak something, it'll convert your voice to text then send it to your browser and run a google search on the text. (Like, hit the icon and say "list of planets mentioned in Star Trek" and it'll google search exactly those words and show you the results)

The voice stuff sounds cool. Need to check that out for messaging purposes. THanks for the explanation.

Users who are viewing this thread