What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Greatest Video Game Draft 2011 (1 Viewer)

came in to see how the rankings are going...I am pretty much getting creamed, but my #1 in racing will help bring that up a bit.

for recent stuff, I am just happy Monster Hunter didn't get me last...though trust me its hugely popular over here

Medal Gear Solid I probably over thought so no complaints..I should of waited to see how the category played out.

I will say that Bionic Commando should of been higher
I've been thinking about picking up Monster Hunter Tri (3) for the Wii. I've heard nothing but great things about it and supposedly the online multiplayer is top notch. I agree that Bionic Commando should've gotten higher. I tried talking it up for ya. In related news: Bionic Commando Rearmed 2 comes out for PSN and XBLA this week. I think yesterday, actually. $15 or 1200MSP
I thought about getting 3, but my son has not gotten it yet. He is still playing 2G, so that is what I drafted.Interested in Bionic Commano 2...does PSN mean Playstation Network?
Yes. It's downloadable on Playstation 3, I believe. Just like XBox has with the XBox Live Arcade. It's gotten mixed reviews so far, but it still looks fun. The first Rearmed was great and had lots of bonus stages for replayability.

Villains Ranking

Note: With all my rankings, I look at the final list of games without regard to who has picked them for impartiality.

The greatest Video Game Villains of All time have the uncanny ability to not only punish us and pound us into the dirt but rub our faces in it as well. They take pleasure in our pain. They revel in the misery of others and have caused us frustration for years. Yet we keep coming back to kick their asses again and again. Don’t they ever learn? There are many different kinds of villains in video games though. So to be fair to all contestants, I have created 7 categories on which to base them.

Evilness: How despicable are they? Are they merely a common thief or are they the spawn of the devil himself? (Scale of 1-10)

Evil by Choice?: Did they choose to be evil or were they forced into by some other force? (Scale of 1-3, 3 being full choice and 1 being completely out of their control).

Charisma: How much personality and flare do they have? (Scale of 1-5)

Dedication: How dedicated are they to their cause? (Scale of 1-5)

Were they ever good?: Did they appear as a good guy in another game or were they ever good in their own games? (Scale of 1-5)

Deeds: How despicable were their deeds? (Scale of 1-10)

Difficulty: How hard was it to beat them in the game? (Scale of 1-10)

So with those criteria, here are the results.

26 Carmen Sandiego (27.05)

Score: 1-2-5-4-3-5-3=23

She’s a thief. Yea she’s conniving but you didn’t really have to do much to beat her. You just figure out where she went.

25 Donkey Kong (4.10)

Score: 3-2-2-3-1-6-6=23

He’s one of Nintendo’s go to hero’s. Yea he started off as a bad guy but he went to rehab. He’s a Hero now.

24 Phoenix (27.01)

Score: 4-1-1-2-5-4-6=23

It was one of the first final bosses in an arcade game. Unfortunately this is before my time and the internet is limited on research for this villain. So it suffers in score here to being based on what I found.

23 Dutch Van Der Linde (17.07)

Score: 4-2-4-4-2-5-5=26

The guy was a freedom fighter. He fought to preserve his way of life. He fought to keep the government out of our lives. He just happened to be a crazy old coot is all.

22 Blinky, Pinky, Inky and Clyde (24.01)

Score: 4-2-2-5-4-4-6=27

These guys were some of the first villains of memory in video game history. Of course getting eaten by a giant cheese like man doesn’t exactly increase your street cred.

21 Magus (25.10)

Score: 7-2-3-4-2-3-7=28

Yea he was a bad guy in Chrono Trigger but his motives were to go through various eras of time luring the guy that killed his sister out of hiding so that he could have the heroes kill him. I’m really confused by his whole story. The fact that he joins your party after defeating him though keeps him down on the list. He looked decently hard to beat when you do fight him.

20 Illusive Man (13.07)

Score: 6-3-5-5-4-6-0=29

He has potential. He’s surrounded in mystery. He’s extremely dedicated to his cause and his motives aren’t completely known. There’s also the fact that he isn’t exactly the main villain. He’s more of an antagonist. Mass Effect 3 will determine his legacy.

19 Wario (21.02)

Score: 7-3-5-3-1-6-4=29

This guy is more like Mario’s annoying, deadbeat cousin than he is a true villain. He farts, he’s obnoxious and he bombards you with minigames. He’s more likely to crash on your couch after a hangover than he is to try and kill you.

18 Frank Fontaine (23.04)

Score: 6-2-4-4-3-5-6=30

Would you kindly tell me why this two bit mobster needed me to give him power over Rapture? It seemed pretty simple to get in there and change the code to his. Then would you kindly tell me why you would want power over Rapture? It’s a dump. Frank thought a little small for my tastes. Plus he was ridiculously easy to beat.

17 Mike Tyson (7.01)

Score: 7-2-3-4-3-6-9=34

Tyson is a dastardly villain in real life and in the digital realm. Tyson toyed with you after you fought ridiculously hard just to get to him. He one hits you and blocks every punch you throw at him. You have 1 shot to hit him and even when you do, you have to wear him down. He was one of the toughest challenges of the time.

16 Joker (24.05)

Score: 8-3-5-5-3-7-3=34

The Joker is possibly the greatest Comic book villain of all time but his history in video games has been weak at best. The Joker in Arkham Asylum gives an excellent portrayal of him up until the Bane-like version of a steroid freak at the end. Then to top it off, he’s easy to beat. Dodge, single punch, Repeat. He’s good, but not great.

15 Dr. Robotnik (14.01)

Score: 8-2-4-4-4-7-5=34

This guy is just evil. He kidnaps little furry animals, builds easily destructible robots and keeps escaping after his half baked inventions fail him. A classic evil mastermind, villain if there ever was one.

14 Albert Wesker (13.02)

Score: 8-2-5-4-4-7-5=35

There’s nothing worse than a traitor. You could tell almost immediately that the guy who wears dark sunglasses at night, in a dimly lit mansion wasn’t all there in the head but the extent he goes to in order to sell you out is amazing. He makes several appearances throughout the series despite his apparent death in the first game. His cameo role in Code Veronica sheds some light on what he’s been up to. He actually becomes a pretty formidable foe in Resident Evil 4 and 5. He takes on a customized version of the G-Virus which gives him superhuman abilities. This is a guy you just loved to hate.

13 Shodan (13.03)

Score: 9-3-5-4-3-7-5=36

She was the original condescending, ##### AI that loved to torment you while you ran through her maze of madness. Shodan is an AI that grew a god complex and declared herself capable of judging whether humanity should be allowed to live. She made for some memorable, “jumpy” moments.

12 Bowser (4.06)

Score: 9-2-4-5-3-8-5=36

For a dragon/turtle monster, he seems incredibly well organized. He manages to get his minions to terrorize numerous lands while he sits comfortably in his castle usually surrounded by molten lava. I think he made the same mistake most of us have done at some point in our lives. He got hung up on the wrong girl. Princess Peach is obviously not into him but he keeps trying to impress her with his vast wealth and displays of power. Women… am I right fellas?

11 Sephiroth (3.12)

Score: 10-1-3-5-2-9-6=36

Sephiroth is responsible for the disturbing trend of androgynous, feminine looking characters in both anime and video games from the Japanese culture in order to gain popularity with teenage girls. For that he is truly evil. On a serious note, he was evil but in his mind he was doing what he was told. A former hero of the people that realizes he was created for a purpose by a more powerful being. So his motives are not exactly his own. He’s a pretty good character but he is not this epic villain many think he is.

10 M. Bison (24.09)

Score: 7-2-4-3-5-8-8=37

This guy managed to meddle in the lives of every character in the Street Fighter II in some negative way. He is your typical megalomaniac bent on world domination but he makes it personal for any character you choose. Top that off with the fact that he’s cheap as all hell no matter what level you fight him on and you have your classic video game villain.

9 Dr. Wily (12.08)

Score: 8-3-3-5-3-7-8=37

Now this guy perfected the evil doctor who builds fantastic robots to carry out his goals for world domination. His robots are actually clever and capable of providing a challenge to our hero. Then his final battles are pretty epic.

8 Diablo (22.06)

Score: 10-3-3-3-5-7-7=38

He’s the devil. What more do you need to know? You fight through endless lairs to get to him and then he's every bit as epic as you can remember for a PC RPG.

7 Psycho Mantis (20.03)

Score: 9-2-5-4-4-8-7=39

This guy hated the world and with good reason. Left for dead as a child and abused for his abilities, Mantis was an outcast. He was taken in by FOXHOUND and trained to enhance his abilities. He used them with deadly efficiency and no moral conscience for the consequences. His battle against snake pits you against Merrill, Snake’s female companion, forcing you to have to defeat her without killing her. At the same time, he manipulates not only Snake’s mind but the gamer’s mind. He reads your memory card to see what you have been playing and how often you have saved. He blanks your TV screen to confuse you. He knows your every move before you make it (until you switch to port 2). He was a unique villain in a game of many memorable ones.

6 GLaDOS (8.08)

Score: 9-3-5-5-5-8-6=41

GLaDOS is evil but she masks it with her deadpan wit and false kindness. She motivates you by promising cake but we soon learn that the cake is a lie. She’s just using us for her sick experiments. It would be one thing if she didn’t show any emotion but she’s condescending and manipulative. She tries to make us feel guilty about killing our friend the cube. The most amazing part of all of this is that Portal is a puzzle game. The final battle with her is somewhat tricky to figure out at first but nothing overwhelming. She is a very satisfying enemy to do battle with. Can’t wait to see her again in Portal 2.

5 The Reapers (22.11)

Score: 9-3-3-4-5-10-7=41

An advanced race of sentient machines that reside in the dark of space between galaxies, the Reapers are older than known existence. They are massive in size coming in at nearly double the biggest starships in the game. They come back every 50,000 years or so to destroy all organic life in the galaxy. Why do they do this? It’s not really clear but it’s certainly a lofty goal to achieve.

4 Kefka (12.04)

Score: 10-3-4-4-5-10-5=41

This is the quintessential megalomaniacal, villain. He’s not bent on World domination. He’s bent on world Destruction. Sure we’ve all heard this before but this guy actually succeeds! He destroys the world and most of its inhabitants. He builds up from what is thought of as an annoying court jester to be one of the most evil characters in all of the Final Fantasy games. He has no remorse, is completely insane and is damn funny while he’s doing it.

3 Dracula (10.05)

Score: 10-3-4-4-5-8-8=42

He’s haunted man for centuries. Yet this was his first chance in the digital realm. Simon Belmont had to do battle with one of the ultimate foes in not only video gaming lore but of human lore. It doesn’t help that he’s hard as hell and you have a whip to beat him.

2 Mother Brain (9.11)

Score: 10-3-2-5-5-9-9=43

A giant pulsing metroid controls everything. You would think she would be a pushover once you got to her since she had all her creations take care of things. No, she is hard. Doesn’t matter whether its Metroid, Super Metroid or Metroid Prime, mother brain is one of the hardest villains to defeat in all of video gaming. You need every single tool and trick you’ve learned with Samus just to have a chance. Then if that’s not enough, you need to escape in time after you defeat her thanks to the self destruct. Even in death, she can still beat you.

1 Ganondorf Dragmire (4.02)

Score: 10-3-4-5-5-10-7=44

Ganondorf is one of the most iconic villains in video game history. He has made Link’s life hell through many different eras and many different situations. He’s a done every dirty job you could think of to get to the top. He’s been the thief. He’s been the thug. He’s been the grunt. He’s worked his way up to become the supreme being of power by stealing the triforce of power numerous times throughout the history of Hyrule. To top that all off, he’s never a push over. Every battle with Ganon is always epic. He is the best villain in video gaming history and worthy of the number one spot.

Fellas I tried ranking the RTS category last night, but it was too difficult having only played 6 of the games. I'm more of an RTS expert and too many of those games aren't RTS.

I will defer to somebody else who has a better handle on the non-RTS games in the category.

Nice draft though, a lot of solid picks here.

Fellas I tried ranking the RTS category last night, but it was too difficult having only played 6 of the games. I'm more of an RTS expert and too many of those games aren't RTS. I will defer to somebody else who has a better handle on the non-RTS games in the category.Nice draft though, a lot of solid picks here.
JWB? You said you have played all the games. Can you pick this up?

I had forgotten an interesting tidbit that most people aren't aware of that I was going to bring up but decided not to so as to not cause an argument since it's not really well known.

The misconception is that Donkey Kong from the original arcade game and Donkey Kong from Donkey Kong Country are the same character. This is simply not true. Actually, Cranky Kong is the original Donkey Kong, while Donkey Kong from the DK Country series is really Donkey Kong Jr.

I thought about taking DK as a hero, but I thought there would be conflict, so I decided against it. But there it is for everyone to share and discuss.

BTW, this shouldn't be expected to change Donkey Kong's ranking above. If I didn't think this information wasn't expected to change him being picked as both a villain (father) and a hero (son), I don't think this information coming out after the ranking should change the ranking either.

Last edited by a moderator:
Villains Ranking
For scoring, is this being scored like the arcade category was with 26 and 25 getting 1 point each and 1 and 2 getting 13 each, etc? Or is it 1 - 26 pts in reverse order of the rank?And yes, thank you for keeping this alive! :lmao:

Villains Ranking11 Sephiroth (3.12)

4 Kefka (12.04)

You must have made a mistake with the Final Fantasy villains. Sephiroth is clearly more of a villain than some little pixel Kefka. Plus, Kefka was easy as hell to beat at the end of the game... Ultima, Ultima, Ultima, Heal Party, rinse, repeat. Easy peasy. Don't worry though because everyone knows that you simply, subconsciously, mistook these two. I am sure your edit will have your error fixed in this case.That said, I knew I was going to have two Top 5 villains. Should have been 1 & 2 but 1 & 4 is not bad.

Villains Ranking

Note: With all my rankings, I look at the final list of games without regard to who has picked them for impartiality.

The greatest Video Game Villains of All time have the uncanny ability to not only punish us and pound us into the dirt but rub our faces in it as well. They take pleasure in our pain. They revel in the misery of others and have caused us frustration for years. Yet we keep coming back to kick their asses again and again. Don’t they ever learn? There are many different kinds of villains in video games though. So to be fair to all contestants, I have created 7 categories on which to base them.

Evilness: How despicable are they? Are they merely a common thief or are they the spawn of the devil himself? (Scale of 1-10)

Evil by Choice?: Did they choose to be evil or were they forced into by some other force? (Scale of 1-3, 3 being full choice and 1 being completely out of their control).

Were they ever good?: Did they appear as a good guy in another game or were they ever good in their own games? (Scale of 1-5)

So with those criteria, here are the results.

26 Carmen Sandiego (27.05)

Score: 1-2-5-4-3-5-3=23

She’s a thief. Yea she’s conniving but you didn’t really have to do much to beat her. You just figure out where she went.

25 Donkey Kong (4.10)

Score: 3-2-2-3-1-6-6=23

He’s one of Nintendo’s go to hero’s. Yea he started off as a bad guy but he went to rehab. He’s a Hero now.

24 Phoenix (27.01)

Score: 4-1-1-2-5-4-6=23

It was one of the first final bosses in an arcade game. Unfortunately this is before my time and the internet is limited on research for this villain. So it suffers in score here to being based on what I found.

23 Dutch Van Der Linde (17.07)

Score: 4-2-4-4-2-5-5=26

The guy was a freedom fighter. He fought to preserve his way of life. He fought to keep the government out of our lives. He just happened to be a crazy old coot is all.

22 Blinky, Pinky, Inky and Clyde (24.01)

Score: 4-2-2-5-4-4-6=27

These guys were some of the first villains of memory in video game history. Of course getting eaten by a giant cheese like man doesn’t exactly increase your street cred.

21 Magus (25.10)

Yea he was a bad guy in Chrono Trigger but his motives were to go through various eras of time luring the guy that killed his sister out of hiding so that he could have the heroes kill him. I’m really confused by his whole story. The fact that he joins your party after defeating him though keeps him down on the list. He looked decently hard to beat when you do fight him.

20 Illusive Man (13.07)

Score: 6-3-5-5-4-6-0=29

He has potential. He’s surrounded in mystery. He’s extremely dedicated to his cause and his motives aren’t completely known. There’s also the fact that he isn’t exactly the main villain. He’s more of an antagonist. Mass Effect 3 will determine his legacy.

19 Wario (21.02)

Score: 7-3-5-3-1-6-4=29

This guy is more like Mario’s annoying, deadbeat cousin than he is a true villain. He farts, he’s obnoxious and he bombards you with minigames. He’s more likely to crash on your couch after a hangover than he is to try and kill you.

18 Frank Fontaine (23.04)

Score: 6-2-4-4-3-5-6=30

Would you kindly tell me why this two bit mobster needed me to give him power over Rapture? It seemed pretty simple to get in there and change the code to his. Then would you kindly tell me why you would want power over Rapture? It’s a dump. Frank thought a little small for my tastes. Plus he was ridiculously easy to beat.

17 Mike Tyson (7.01)

Score: 7-2-3-4-3-6-9=34

Tyson is a dastardly villain in real life and in the digital realm. Tyson toyed with you after you fought ridiculously hard just to get to him. He one hits you and blocks every punch you throw at him. You have 1 shot to hit him and even when you do, you have to wear him down. He was one of the toughest challenges of the time.

16 Joker (24.05)

Score: 8-3-5-5-3-7-3=34

The Joker is possibly the greatest Comic book villain of all time but his history in video games has been weak at best. The Joker in Arkham Asylum gives an excellent portrayal of him up until the Bane-like version of a steroid freak at the end. Then to top it off, he’s easy to beat. Dodge, single punch, Repeat. He’s good, but not great.

15 Dr. Robotnik (14.01)

Score: 8-2-4-4-4-7-5=34

This guy is just evil. He kidnaps little furry animals, builds easily destructible robots and keeps escaping after his half baked inventions fail him. A classic evil mastermind, villain if there ever was one.

14 Albert Wesker (13.02)

Score: 8-2-5-4-4-7-5=35

There’s nothing worse than a traitor. You could tell almost immediately that the guy who wears dark sunglasses at night, in a dimly lit mansion wasn’t all there in the head but the extent he goes to in order to sell you out is amazing. He makes several appearances throughout the series despite his apparent death in the first game. His cameo role in Code Veronica sheds some light on what he’s been up to. He actually becomes a pretty formidable foe in Resident Evil 4 and 5. He takes on a customized version of the G-Virus which gives him superhuman abilities. This is a guy you just loved to hate.

13 Shodan (13.03)

Score: 9-3-5-4-3-7-5=36

She was the original condescending, ##### AI that loved to torment you while you ran through her maze of madness. Shodan is an AI that grew a god complex and declared herself capable of judging whether humanity should be allowed to live. She made for some memorable, “jumpy” moments.

12 Bowser (4.06)

Score: 9-2-4-5-3-8-5=36

For a dragon/turtle monster, he seems incredibly well organized. He manages to get his minions to terrorize numerous lands while he sits comfortably in his castle usually surrounded by molten lava. I think he made the same mistake most of us have done at some point in our lives. He got hung up on the wrong girl. Princess Peach is obviously not into him but he keeps trying to impress her with his vast wealth and displays of power. Women… am I right fellas?

11 Sephiroth (3.12)

Sephiroth is responsible for the disturbing trend of androgynous, feminine looking characters in both anime and video games from the Japanese culture in order to gain popularity with teenage girls. For that he is truly evil. On a serious note, he was evil but in his mind he was doing what he was told. A former hero of the people that realizes he was created for a purpose by a more powerful being. So his motives are not exactly his own. He’s a pretty good character but he is not this epic villain many think he is.

10 M. Bison (24.09)

Score: 7-2-4-3-5-8-8=37

This guy managed to meddle in the lives of every character in the Street Fighter II in some negative way. He is your typical megalomaniac bent on world domination but he makes it personal for any character you choose. Top that off with the fact that he’s cheap as all hell no matter what level you fight him on and you have your classic video game villain.

9 Dr. Wily (12.08)

Score: 8-3-3-5-3-7-8=37

Now this guy perfected the evil doctor who builds fantastic robots to carry out his goals for world domination. His robots are actually clever and capable of providing a challenge to our hero. Then his final battles are pretty epic.

8 Diablo (22.06)

Score: 10-3-3-3-5-7-7=38

He’s the devil. What more do you need to know? You fight through endless lairs to get to him and then he's every bit as epic as you can remember for a PC RPG.

7 Psycho Mantis (20.03)

Score: 9-2-5-4-4-8-7=39

This guy hated the world and with good reason. Left for dead as a child and abused for his abilities, Mantis was an outcast. He was taken in by FOXHOUND and trained to enhance his abilities. He used them with deadly efficiency and no moral conscience for the consequences. His battle against snake pits you against Merrill, Snake’s female companion, forcing you to have to defeat her without killing her. At the same time, he manipulates not only Snake’s mind but the gamer’s mind. He reads your memory card to see what you have been playing and how often you have saved. He blanks your TV screen to confuse you. He knows your every move before you make it (until you switch to port 2). He was a unique villain in a game of many memorable ones.

6 GLaDOS (8.08)

Score: 9-3-5-5-5-8-6=41

GLaDOS is evil but she masks it with her deadpan wit and false kindness. She motivates you by promising cake but we soon learn that the cake is a lie. She’s just using us for her sick experiments. It would be one thing if she didn’t show any emotion but she’s condescending and manipulative. She tries to make us feel guilty about killing our friend the cube. The most amazing part of all of this is that Portal is a puzzle game. The final battle with her is somewhat tricky to figure out at first but nothing overwhelming. She is a very satisfying enemy to do battle with. Can’t wait to see her again in Portal 2.

5 The Reapers (22.11)

Score: 9-3-3-4-5-10-7=41

An advanced race of sentient machines that reside in the dark of space between galaxies, the Reapers are older than known existence. They are massive in size coming in at nearly double the biggest starships in the game. They come back every 50,000 years or so to destroy all organic life in the galaxy. Why do they do this? It’s not really clear but it’s certainly a lofty goal to achieve.

4 Kefka (12.04)

This is the quintessential megalomaniacal, villain. He’s not bent on World domination. He’s bent on world Destruction. Sure we’ve all heard this before but this guy actually succeeds! He destroys the world and most of its inhabitants. He builds up from what is thought of as an annoying court jester to be one of the most evil characters in all of the Final Fantasy games. He has no remorse, is completely insane and is damn funny while he’s doing it.

3 Dracula (10.05)

Score: 10-3-4-4-5-8-8=42

He’s haunted man for centuries. Yet this was his first chance in the digital realm. Simon Belmont had to do battle with one of the ultimate foes in not only video gaming lore but of human lore. It doesn’t help that he’s hard as hell and you have a whip to beat him.

2 Mother Brain (9.11)

Score: 10-3-2-5-5-9-9=43

A giant pulsing metroid controls everything. You would think she would be a pushover once you got to her since she had all her creations take care of things. No, she is hard. Doesn’t matter whether its Metroid, Super Metroid or Metroid Prime, mother brain is one of the hardest villains to defeat in all of video gaming. You need every single tool and trick you’ve learned with Samus just to have a chance. Then if that’s not enough, you need to escape in time after you defeat her thanks to the self destruct. Even in death, she can still beat you.

1 Ganondorf Dragmire (4.02)

Score: 10-3-4-5-5-10-7=44

Ganondorf is one of the most iconic villains in video game history. He has made Link’s life hell through many different eras and many different situations. He’s a done every dirty job you could think of to get to the top. He’s been the thief. He’s been the thug. He’s been the grunt. He’s worked his way up to become the supreme being of power by stealing the triforce of power numerous times throughout the history of Hyrule. To top that all off, he’s never a push over. Every battle with Ganon is always epic. He is the best villain in video gaming history and worthy of the number one spot.

I'm happy with Joker's ranking. I'm kind hate not taking M Bison instead, since he was my next go-to, but I just love Joker. I think you underestimated his toughness on the original Batman video game on the NES. He was as harder than Dracula in the Castlevania games, except in the Castlevania games you had powerups on the way to fighting Dracula. In Batman, what you had left from the beginning of the stage was IT. You had your fists if you used those up.

Yep. That's right, Joker was in 24 video games. Not just the 1. And I spotlighted Arkham Asylum and the NES game, which you didn't even mention. :shrug:

Skip to 2:58 if you aren't familiar with the NES boss fight. And keep in mind, this guy in the video is good. (how do you link to Youtube videos with the skip already in place)

19 Wario (21.02)Score: 7-3-5-3-1-6-4=29This guy is more like Mario’s annoying, deadbeat cousin than he is a true villain. He farts, he’s obnoxious and he bombards you with minigames. He’s more likely to crash on your couch after a hangover than he is to try and kill you.
:confused: ;) :) :lmao: Great stuff, I got screwed with a 4th round pick (donkey Kong) getting least points in category but that was my bad, should have put him as a character. Great stuff and the Wario commentary was dead on!

I'm happy with Joker's ranking. I'm kind hate not taking M Bison instead, since he was my next go-to, but I just love Joker. I think you underestimated his toughness on the original Batman video game on the NES. He was as harder than Dracula in the Castlevania games, except in the Castlevania games you had powerups on the way to fighting Dracula. In Batman, what you had left from the beginning of the stage was IT. You had your fists if you used those up. Yep. That's right, Joker was in 24 video games. Not just the 1. And I spotlighted Arkham Asylum and the NES game, which you didn't even mention. :confused:
True but the original batman game was rough on the NES. I assumed the Arkham asylum version was the way to go. It added a lot more depth to the Joker than just another pixelated end boss.

I had forgotten an interesting tidbit that most people aren't aware of that I was going to bring up but decided not to so as to not cause an argument since it's not really well known.

The misconception is that Donkey Kong from the original arcade game and Donkey Kong from Donkey Kong Country are the same character. This is simply not true. Actually, Cranky Kong is the original Donkey Kong, while Donkey Kong from the DK Country series is really Donkey Kong Jr.

I thought about taking DK as a hero, but I thought there would be conflict, so I decided against it. But there it is for everyone to share and discuss.

BTW, this shouldn't be expected to change Donkey Kong's ranking above. If I didn't think this information wasn't expected to change him being picked as both a villain (father) and a hero (son), I don't think this information coming out after the ranking should change the ranking either.
Yes I was aware but the distinction is too technical for most gamers to get let alone common folk. Donkey Kong hasn't gone by Jr since his racing days in SMK on the SNES.

Yes I was aware but the distinction is too technical for most gamers to get let alone common folk. Donkey Kong hasn't gone by Jr since his racing days in SMK on the SNES.
I just thought I'd add the trivia tidbit for those who are still paying attention to the thread. It probably would've been too controversial a topic to bring up prior to drafting DK for hero and villain. I added the addendum to the end of the post suggesting that they (I can't remember who drafted him) not expect him to move up in light of this information, regardless of whether you knew or not.
I'm happy with Joker's ranking. I'm kind hate not taking M Bison instead, since he was my next go-to, but I just love Joker. I think you underestimated his toughness on the original Batman video game on the NES. He was as harder than Dracula in the Castlevania games, except in the Castlevania games you had powerups on the way to fighting Dracula. In Batman, what you had left from the beginning of the stage was IT. You had your fists if you used those up.

Yep. That's right, Joker was in 24 video games. Not just the 1. And I spotlighted Arkham Asylum and the NES game, which you didn't even mention. :confused:
True but the original batman game was rough on the NES. I assumed the Arkham asylum version was the way to go. It added a lot more depth to the Joker than just another pixelated end boss.
And I agree with that. I guess I was posting this in response to the "easy" comment in the notes. Yes he was, in AA, but not in the original. Just as Dracula is cake in Castlevania II and a couple of the other Castlevania's but hard and damn near impossible in others. Again, I'm fine with the placement.

I just thought I'd add the trivia tidbit for those who are still paying attention to the thread. It probably would've been too controversial a topic to bring up prior to drafting DK for hero and villain. I added the addendum to the end of the post suggesting that they (I can't remember who drafted him) not expect him to move up in light of this information, regardless of whether you knew or not.

Yep. That's right, Joker was in 24 video games. Not just the 1. And I spotlighted Arkham Asylum and the NES game, which you didn't even mention. :(
And I agree with that. I guess I was posting this in response to the "easy" comment in the notes. Yes he was, in AA, but not in the original. Just as Dracula is cake in Castlevania II and a couple of the other Castlevania's but hard and damn near impossible in others. Again, I'm fine with the placement.
I know what you meant. Its all good. :lmao: Some of those villains were tough to rank and like I said, they crashed my computer in revolt at one point.

Villains Ranking

Just curious to where Sweet Tooth in Twisted Metal would be ranked and his point scale for the criteria.

Fellas I tried ranking the RTS category last night, but it was too difficult having only played 6 of the games. I'm more of an RTS expert and too many of those games aren't RTS. I will defer to somebody else who has a better handle on the non-RTS games in the category.Nice draft though, a lot of solid picks here.
JWB? You said you have played all the games. Can you pick this up?
Yea, I will. Likely won't have them until tomorrow or so, but I will do it.

Villains Ranking

Just curious to where Sweet Tooth in Twisted Metal would be ranked and his point scale for the criteria.
A quick add up in my head puts him around the 18-17 area.

Villains Ranking11 Sephiroth (3.12)

4 Kefka (12.04)

You must have made a mistake with the Final Fantasy villains. Sephiroth is clearly more of a villain than some little pixel Kefka. Plus, Kefka was easy as hell to beat at the end of the game... Ultima, Ultima, Ultima, Heal Party, rinse, repeat. Easy peasy. Don't worry though because everyone knows that you simply, subconsciously, mistook these two. I am sure your edit will have your error fixed in this case.That said, I knew I was going to have two Top 5 villains. Should have been 1 & 2 but 1 & 4 is not bad.
Well at least you're following the delusional bit all the way through. :shrug:

I know madshot is alive. I see that he's posted in other threads. Wonder why he's avoiding his baby? He created this monster.

I know madshot is alive. I see that he's posted in other threads. Wonder why he's avoiding his baby? He created this monster.
Not sure. My scoreboard shows him in 3rd place, so he doesn't have any reason to be feel bad about his draft.

Not sure. My scoreboard shows him in 3rd place, so he doesn't have any reason to be feel bad about his draft.
I meant that monster thread. This is easily one of the largest threads ever created in the FFA. His draft is going well so far. Who is left to do some judging?

Still waiting on the rankings from the following categories (judge in bold):

Fourth Generation - hooter311

Seventh Generation - STEADYMOBBIN 22

FPS/TPS - hooter311

Strategy/RTS - LHUCKS jwb

Action/Adventure - Steve Tasker

Suspense/Horror - Insein

Best Main Character - Steve Tasker

Flex Video Game - Steve Tasker

Tasker said he'd have his done over the weekend. LHUCKS has officially handed his off to jwb, who won't have it done until sometime over the weekend. hooter hasn't been seen in here since he gave his Multiplayer rankings and STEADYMOBBIN 22 is :goodposting:

Still waiting on the rankings from the following categories (judge in bold):

Fourth Generation - hooter311

Seventh Generation - STEADYMOBBIN 22

FPS/TPS - hooter311

Strategy/RTS - LHUCKS jwb

Action/Adventure - Steve Tasker

Suspense/Horror - Insein

Best Main Character - Steve Tasker

Flex Video Game - Steve Tasker

Tasker said he'd have his done over the weekend. LHUCKS has officially handed his off to jwb, who won't have it done until sometime over the weekend. hooter hasn't been seen in here since he gave his Multiplayer rankings and STEADYMOBBIN 22 is :goodposting:
Who would like to do 4th gen, 7th gen and FPS? Must provide credentials on why you can judge the category.

I meant that monster thread. This is easily one of the largest threads ever created in the FFA. His draft is going well so far. Who is left to do some judging?
we're only on page 49....if we want it to be "one of the longest thread in the history of FFA", we gotta get it to at least 100 pages...

we're only on page 49....if we want it to be "one of the longest thread in the history of FFA", we gotta get it to at least 100 pages...
True but this is not bad for a few weeks. BTW, no comments on the Villains list? I figured you'd have something to say for sure.

Insein said:
larry_boy_44 said:
Insein said:
SlaX said:
Insein said:
True but this is not bad for a few weeks. BTW, no comments on the Villains list? I figured you'd have something to say for sure.
I figured Magus would be low on the list (as he wasn't really so evil, and although he was insanely hard to beat, there were 3 or 4 other battles in that game just as tough (at minimum) and his was only halfway through the game)...I absolutely agree with the Kefka ranking... He was a great villain and its sad to see so many people discredit him simply because of the graphical lack of the SNES. Just because Sephiroth resembled an actual person more than Kefka (and even then he didn't really succeed), doesn't mean he's a better character...

21 Magus (25.10)

I figured I would respond more to this, not in an attempt to change your rankings, but just because that isn't actually the plot...So, this is the plot of Chrono Trigger (I will shorten the parts that Magus isn't in to focus in on his stuff).

It opens up at the Mellenium Fair in 1000 AD. Crono (main character) wakes up and goes to the fair, meets attractive blonde chick (Marle). They go to Lucca (Crono's friend)'s exhibit of a teleportation machine, the machine reacts to the necklace around Marle's neck and she is sent to 600 AD. Crono follows while Lucca figures out what happens.

They mistake Marle for the queen (her great-great-great-whatever grandma) who was kidnapped. Crono shows up and goes to save the real queen and is met up with Lucca and Frog (yes, a half-frog, half-human Swordsman named Frog). They save the Queen in the Cathedral from Magus' followers and finally the three main characters (Crono, Marle, and Lucca) leave together with the queen safe and Frog back in hiding.

Back in 1000 AD, Crono is put on trial for "kidnapping" the princess (Marle). No matter if you are found guilty or innocent (based upon things you did at the fair at the beginning of the game), you end up escaping prison with Marle and Lucca and finding another "time portal" where you end up in 2300 AD. After travelling through 2300 AD and learning of the "Day of Lavos" (when Lavos destroys the world in 1999 AD), in 2300 AD they find "Robo" a robot who joins the party. They meet an ancient sage at the "end of time" named Gaspar who gives them advice.

They proceed to meet Ayla (a cave woman from 65,000,000 BC) and re-unite with Frog and his repaired Masamune sword in 600 AD. After this they challange Magus finally in 600 AD (where he is the leader of a country of, basically monsters) and defeat him, after which he calls upon Lavos and everyone is scattered through time.

The party wakes up in 65,000,000 BC again, where they discover the origins of Lavos (he landed on earth in 65,000,000 BC). Lavos then would spend time absorbing DNA and energy from every living creature on earth until 1999 AD when he would arise and spawn and spread out through the galaxy to destroy even more planets.

They then travel to 12,000 BC to the kingdom of Zeal where they learn of the Mammon Machine that is absorbing power from Lavos to power their magic devices adn the queen is being advised by a new "prophet". When teh party finally fights through the palace and get to teh heart of the Mammon Machine, Lavos is called, the prophet reveals himself to be Magus and tries to kill Lavos (but fails), Chrono tries to stop Lavos and is killed (killed, killed). Lavos destroys Zeal and everyone awakens in a village with Magust here who joins the party.

The group then is given a "Chrono Trigger" which they take to 2300 AD and go through some stuff to bring Crono back to life. You can then do a bunch of other sidequests, and then beat Lavos adn the game ends (New Game + is nice)

*** SPOILER ALERT! Click this link to display the potential spoiler text in this box. ***");document.close();So, Magus really isn't a great villain, especially when you grade on "evil"... I mean, yes, he did summon the ultimate evil thing that devours worlds twice in order to try and avenge his sisters death completely ignoring the plight of EVERYONE else in the world he harms along the way.

But at the same time, throughout all the Chrono games (Chrono Cross and Trigger and other side things) he is trying to avenge his sister's murder and find her and save her...

so, I would say:

evilness (7) - got to be pretty high, but not a 10 for sure. He did risk the entire world TWICE for his own vengeance.

evil by choice (2) - this one is grey. See, the question is if without the "prophet" (who is Magus) would his mother have created the mammon machine? (it was the prophet pulling those strings) So, through time travel, is Magus responsible for his sister's demise and thus actually responsible for his own evil?

Charisma (3)- 5, as far as Square games go, Magus is one of more popular characters.

Dedication (4)- 5, he manipulated time and awakened Lavos twice risking destruction of the whole world to fulfill his goals.

Were they ever good? (2)- I don't know how to rate this. He WAS good and ends up good, so whatever that is (whether 1 or 5).

Deeds (3)- again, twice almost destroyed the world for his selfish gain. Plus there is the whole making Frog a frog, kidnapping the queen, killing the frog's Knight master, and other things he did.

difficulty (7)- his boss fight halfway through the game FELT like a game-ender. I mean, you'd been in every time period (except 12,000 BC), but you hadn't been given any indication that there was another time period. You had the complete party.

So he is hurt in the "big score" categories... You gave 7-2-3-4-2-3-7, I would say he probably deserved more like 5-2-5-5-1-6-8, so 32. One spot higher than you ranked him, still not beating Tyson (which seems fair to me)

RTS / Strategy Intro

I love strategy games. I love the planning, the maneuvering, the building / etc. I love attacking, I love defending, I love how it all fits together - strategy games make for great videogames.

It saddens me a little bit that strategy games are kind of forgotten these days. RTS games don't really translate very well to consoles, and for some reason, turn-based strategy just isn't all that popular. The best we get now is strategy role playing games, which I like a lot, but it's just not the same. I love a game like Valkyria Chronicles (PS3), but also would not mind seeing something akin to a Heroes of Might and Magic game on the console. In my list, I tried to give equal play to TBS and RTS games.

Notable games that were not drafted:

Myth The Fallen Lords (and Myth II). These were more tactical games than overall strategy, but they were the best of their kind, and a ton of fun. Myth II would have finished in the top 3.

Heroes of Might and Magic.. any of them really. Heroes III was the best of the bunch, and would have finished top 5 here as well.

Master of Magic. This is the“legendary fantasy TBS game. The DOOM of its genre.

Master of Orion. Kind of perfected the 4x gameplay.

Any of the Total War games.

Europa Universalis - The grandest of grand strategy games

anyway, onto the rankings....

Strategy Games - the Bottom Five

Let me start by saying all of the games on the list were good, and I enjoyed playing them. But someone has to finish on the bottom, so here they are:

1 point

Chessmaster 2000 - I'll give credit for originality here and a shot at "maybe the judge will think this is brilliant". I mean, technically, you picked one of the greatest strategy games of all time - but that’s really not what I am judging. In the end, this choice is akin to saying a photograph of the Mona Lisa is one of the greatest photographs of all time, because of the subject matter.

2 points

Bomberman – It’s cute, it’s fun, etc. But as a strategy game, it’s just not on the same level as what’s above it.

3 Points

Caesar 3 – This is where it gets really tough. Every game from here on out is really good. This one falls here because it somewhat lacked the mass appeal of many above it. That doesn’t cripple it by itself (some of my higher ranked games also lacked commercial appeal), but in the big scheme of things, in this list of 13 games, it’s closer to the bottom than the top.

4 points

Civ IV - Let’s be clear: because of modern advancements, this is a more playable game than the Civ I will rank far higher. But it doesn’t do anything special, either. I hardly remember this.

5 points

Homeworld – I loved this game. But it was one of those “you either loved it or hated it” games. It was definitely different, and won some “Game of the Year” awards. On another day, I might rank this one two points higher or so, but today, it sits here.

Strategy - The Middle of the Pack

6 points

Dune II – One of the first RTS games. It established a formula, and it gets props for that. But it was forgotten almost immediately afterwards as much better came along almost right away, which hurts it in my book. This is like Wolfenstein - yea, it broke ground, but DOOM made us forget it entirely. That's what Warcraft did to Dune.

7 points

Final Fantasy Tactics – It’s what one would call a “strategy RPG”. I love this style of game, but in the end, it’s more tactical than anything. Still, I hope the drafter is pleased with the 7 points.

8 Points

WarCraft II, Tides of Darkness – This is the game that made us forget everything before it, and is to RTS games what DOOM was to FPS’s. I loved, loved, loved this game. And to be honest, I thought I would rank it higher. But as I thought about this, I’m struck by the fact that the personality really made this game, and not so much the strategy (the strategy was essentially to outnumber your opponent, as the units were very similar.) Still, a heck of a game, and a nice steal late.

9 Points

Command & Conquer: Red Alert – This really took the “rock/paper/scissors” style and ran with it. One of the more fun offerings out there. The little nuances that created its strategic depth are countless, and the online play was exceptional.

10 Points

Sim City 2000 - The best city builder of all time. No more needs to be said. I’d like to rank it higher, but look at what’s above it…

Strategy Games - the best of the best

11 Points

Age of Empires II – My personal favorite RTS on this list. If I were stranded on a deserted island with only one game from this list, it would be this one, as the replayability and different strategies are almost endless. The different factions, the different ages, the endless ways it could be played – this is probably the best RTS of all time (well, besides Myth II, which wasn’t picked, and would have been an easy top 3).

12 Points

CIV II – Perfected a turn-based strategy formula that is still widely used today. A true classic. It was picked first, and would have ranked first if not for a little nothing game that became a giant:

13 Points

X-Com – One of the best games of all time – of any era, on any platform. A perfect blend of grand strategy, building, and turn based tactics, this game is one of those “legendary” games that actually lives up to the legend. I’d love to really see it remade.

11 Points

Age of Empires II – My personal favorite RTS on this list. If I were stranded on a deserted island with only one game from this list, it would be this one, as the replayability and different strategies are almost endless. The different factions, the different ages, the endless ways it could be played – this is probably the best RTS of all time (well, besides Myth II, which wasn’t picked, and would have been an easy top 3).

12 Points

CIV II – Perfected a turn-based strategy formula that is still widely used today. A true classic. It was picked first, and would have ranked first if not for a little nothing game that became a giant:

13 Points

X-Com – One of the best games of all time – of any era, on any platform. A perfect blend of grand strategy, building, and turn based tactics, this game is one of those “legendary” games that actually lives up to the legend. I’d love to really see it remade.
I haven't played X-Com. It sounds like a game I need to play.

11 Points

12 Points

13 Points

It's a little rough now, due to graphics and gameplay from another era. But for its time, it was incredible.You know, strategy really could have had 26 slots. Just thinking about the Jagged Alliance games, seven kingdoms, some wargames, Age of Wonders... there are a LOT of good strategy games out there.

11 Points

12 Points

13 Points

It's a little rough now, due to graphics and gameplay from another era. But for its time, it was incredible.You know, strategy really could have had 26 slots. Just thinking about the Jagged Alliance games, seven kingdoms, some wargames, Age of Wonders... there are a LOT of good strategy games out there.
My favorite RTS other than AoE2 right now is Company of Heroes. But I'm not very good at the online multiplayer, so I don't play it much. The last RTS I played a lot of online multiplayer was AoE2.I probably would've liked Halo Wars if it would've been released on PC. It was made by Ensemble Studios, the same guys who did the Age of Empires series. I haven't played it, though, because I'm not quite sure an RTS would work on a console. I've heard it's underrated and rather good, though.

11 Points

12 Points

13 Points

I still have XCom on my desktop today. I play it every couple of months or so. It truly was the perfect strategy simulation. If they kept the gameplay exactly the same and just updated technology and graphics, it would be unbelievable. Is Microprose even a company anymore though? BTW, anyone who wants it, its on Steam for less than $5 routinely.

11 Points

12 Points

13 Points

I still have XCom on my desktop today. I play it every couple of months or so. It truly was the perfect strategy simulation. If they kept the gameplay exactly the same and just updated technology and graphics, it would be unbelievable. Is Microprose even a company anymore though? BTW, anyone who wants it, its on Steam for less than $5 routinely.
Looks like there's multiple versions of X-Com. Which one is best or do you recommend buying the X-Com pack that has them all for $15.

Flex Video Game - I guess the top 2 could get 13 points, next 2 could get 12 pts, etc.

What a stacked category here....I could go in so many directions with this one

1. The Legend of Zelda (1.05) - what else is there to say here, other than that it's dangerous to go alone - take this

2. Sonic the Hedgehog 2 - Genesis (14.10) - the pinnacle of my favorite series of all-time. Doesn't get much better than this. The game took Sonic 1 and added better graphics, better gameplay, and a tougher atmosphere. Pure nostalgia rank here.

3. Pokemon: Special Yellow Edition - Game Boy (9.13) - oh jesus....this was absolutely huge when I was in grammar school. I never collected the cards, unlike most of my friends, but these games are addicting. Red, Blue, or Yellow would've all qualified here.

4. Battlefield 2 - PC (15.09) - never played this, but have seen it referenced as a classic. I know this series is very well-respected, and IIRC, this game still has an online fanbase to this day, nearly 6 years after release?

5. Starcraft II: Wings of Liberty - PC (19.08) - this would be #1 if we lived in Korea

6. Chrono Cross - PS1 (26.04) - I've never played this; it's tough to rank. Apparently, this game has unbelievable reviews....I don't play many RPGs, so I'll have to take their words for it.

7. Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory - Xbox (25.02) - tremendous reputation and history. I had friends who LIVED for these games.

8. Bioshock 2 - Xbox 360 (27.08) - a tough rank for different reasons. I loved the game and love the series, but how to rank it against other great games that I didn't play as much? I hope this rank is ok. Not as good as the first.

9. Star Fox - SNES (27.13) - spent many an hour playing this one. Polygon-mania

10. Blades of Steel - NES (13.01) - I still make obscure references to this game to this day, from the strange whistling after missed shots to "with the pass". Classic sports title.

11. Zelda II: The Adventure's of Link - NES (22.02) - good, but not as good as the other Zelda titles, IMO. This was tough to rank, and probably lost points as it gets overshadowed by the rest of the series.

12. 1943 The Battle of Midway - Arcade (5.11) - this one was pretty popular. Not quite one of the best that were picked, but certainly a rare Arcade game that I remember playing from my youth

13. Syphon Filter - PS1 (27.02) - one of the better games made for the PS1, I'd say.

14. Socom II: US Navy SEALs - PS2 (27.07) - what has happened to this series?

15. Mafia: The City of Lost Heaven - PC (26.07) - I only played this on the console, but I preferred GTA III, which was out around the same time. Fun, it was worth a rental, but just never fully got into it.

16. Dance Dance Revolution - Arcade (22.09) - a somewhat gimmicky game that is tough to rank. This game had an extremely dedicated following, but I just found it extremely difficult to rank this.

17. New Super Mario Bros. - Wii (27.10) - trying to change up the series a bit to make it more party-friendly. Meh, doesn't hold up to the Galaxy series among Wii titles.

18. Oregon Trail - Apple II (20.11) - :lmao: what to do with this? We spent many an hour playing this during computer class in school. You have died of dysentery.

19. Bubble Bobble - NES (27.12) - spawned about a billion other games.

20. NCAA Football 2004 - PS2 (22.13) - I like the series, but I actually think it's gotten better in recent years with the newer releases. Drafter would've gotten more points with a title like 09.

21. Pac-Man Championship Edition - Xbox 360 (25.09) - I played some of this, it was fun...but so were all the rest of the games here.

22. Pong - Arcade (15.05) - the game that started it all, I guess. Gets points for being the original and extremely recognizable.

23. The Sims - PC (8.10) - really kinda changed the video gaming world. I remember my mother even getting involved with this, Sims 2, etc. Innovative, but again, it's tough to rank the non-traditional games. I preferred Sims 2.

24. Beatmania - Arcade (26.03) - Again, I don't know where the #### to rank this.

25. Robotron 2084 - Arcade (25.06) - I'm not gonna lie, I've never even heard of this. Looking at the reviews, screenshots, etc....eh. Too low?

26. Mattel Handheld Football 1 - Handheld (11.03) - I'm sure that this was big in its day, but I've never played it and have no desire to. Sorry.

Let me know if there are disagreements and something should be changed. If there is a general consensus, things could change. It is nearly impossible to compare games that are just so different from one another.

8 Points

WarCraft II, Tides of Darkness – This is the game that made us forget everything before it, and is to RTS games what DOOM was to FPS’s. I loved, loved, loved this game. And to be honest, I thought I would rank it higher. But as I thought about this, I’m struck by the fact that the personality really made this game, and not so much the strategy (the strategy was essentially to outnumber your opponent, as the units were very similar.) Still, a heck of a game, and a nice steal late.

9 Points

Command & Conquer: Red Alert – This really took the “rock/paper/scissors” style and ran with it. One of the more fun offerings out there. The little nuances that created its strategic depth are countless, and the online play was exceptional.
Ranking red alert ahead of WC2 is just nutty. I think Civ4 was too low too, but I don't know how I would have handled ranking Civ 2 and Civ 4... Civ 4 was better, but certainly didn't have the same impact.

8 Points

9 Points

Ranking red alert ahead of WC2 is just nutty. I think Civ4 was too low too, but I don't know how I would have handled ranking Civ 2 and Civ 4... Civ 4 was better, but certainly didn't have the same impact.
Yea, I had trouble with these two. In the end, I feel Red Alert is a better strategy game. Warcraft 2's units are just way too similar. But WC2 has serious personality, and man, it's just fun. On another day, I might have flip-flopped these two.Yea, the CIV thing was odd in that the better overall game (in terms of advancements, etc) is ranked lower. But any "modern" game will beat an older game on almost every level. It's kind of a tricky balance. In the end, I still remember that feeling of playing CIV 2, and it hung around for a loooong time, whereas CIV 4 was played for awhile and then shelved.

8 Points

9 Points

Yea, I had trouble with these two. In the end, I feel Red Alert is a better strategy game. Warcraft 2's units are just way too similar. But WC2 has serious personality, and man, it's just fun. On another day, I might have flip-flopped these two.Yea, the CIV thing was odd in that the better overall game (in terms of advancements, etc) is ranked lower. But any "modern" game will beat an older game on almost every level. It's kind of a tricky balance. In the end, I still remember that feeling of playing CIV 2, and it hung around for a loooong time, whereas CIV 4 was played for awhile and then shelved.
Agreed, but there have probably been 25-30 better strategy games than WC2 (or any of the early RTS) in terms of how they created tactical matchups. IMO, Warcraft is a top 1-3 pick because it had a tremendously long shelf life and was really the pioneer of the genre.I liked how you mentioned Jagged Alliance - I don't often have the inclination to go back and play turn based games, but once in awhile I wish I still had a copy of JA2 laying around somewhere.

8 Points

9 Points

I think i've finished one game of Civ IV... I've finished hundreds of Civ II...Civ IV is just too much...

11 Points

12 Points

13 Points

Looks like there's multiple versions of X-Com. Which one is best or do you recommend buying the X-Com pack that has them all for $15.
The original. XCom UFO Defense. The others were terrible.

8 Points

9 Points

I think i've finished one game of Civ IV... I've finished hundreds of Civ II...Civ IV is just too much...
Civ II was awesome but the detail of CIV 4 is what makes it great. Civ4: Beyond the Sword to me was the best of the series.

NCAA Football 2004 - PS2 (22.13) - I like the series, but I actually think it's gotten better in recent years with the newer releases. Drafter would've gotten more points with a title like 09.
I'll defend NCAA Football 2004. This game should of been a blue print for EA Sports. Deep Dynasty mode, crisp game play, and loads of fun.

Oh and to those who don't get why NFL 2K5 is so highly praised.

I ask you this: Why in the world did it take 4 1/2 years to integrate espn presentation on next gen?

Users who are viewing this thread