What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Everyone is sleeping on.... (2 Viewers)

For me it's Peyton Hillis. This guy is going to be a beast this year. KC is going to run the ball....a lot. Hillis will catch it out of the backfield as well. Charles is coming back from injury. Hillis reunites with his old OC that made him a stud and on the cover of Madden a mear 2 years ago. This guy is going to be the workhorse here. I see a top 10 year in PPR leagues maybe higher. There are a lot of playmakers on this team for defenses to watch leaving the middle of the field for Hillis. I'm grabbing him everywhere I can.

For me it's Peyton Hillis. This guy is going to be a beast this year. KC is going to run the ball....a lot. Hillis will catch it out of the backfield as well. Charles is coming back from injury. Hillis reunites with his old OC that made him a stud and on the cover of Madden a mear 2 years ago. This guy is going to be the workhorse here. I see a top 10 year in PPR leagues maybe higher. There are a lot of playmakers on this team for defenses to watch leaving the middle of the field for Hillis. I'm grabbing him everywhere I can.
Then you're suggesting Jamaal Charles will be relegated to a backup role. It's highly unlikely Hillis would be close to top 10 if he's in a full RBBC.

Then you're suggesting Jamaal Charles will be relegated to a backup role. It's highly unlikely Hillis would be close to top 10 if he's in a full RBBC.
Nope, I think the Chiefs are going to run the ball 60% of the time. Charles will get 10-12 carries and 4-5 receptions/game. Always the threat for the hhomerun. Hillis will get 15-20 carries/game and 4-5 receptions. He will be the workhorse. Thomas Jones was the 27th RB 2 years ago when Charles was a top 5 RB. I believe Hillis a far superior back to Jones and I don't see Charles getting as many carries as he did 2 years ago. I could potentially see both RBs being top 15 RBs. Only you can get Hillis 6-7 rounds later.

Nope, I think the Chiefs are going to run the ball 60% of the time. Charles will get 10-12 carries and 4-5 receptions/game. Always the threat for the hhomerun. Hillis will get 15-20 carries/game and 4-5 receptions. He will be the workhorse. Thomas Jones was the 27th RB 2 years ago when Charles was a top 5 RB. I believe Hillis a far superior back to Jones and I don't see Charles getting as many carries as he did 2 years ago. I could potentially see both RBs being top 15 RBs. Only you can get Hillis 6-7 rounds later.
140 catches from the rb position?although, the 500 team rush attempts might be possible.

I too like Hillis as a decent flex starter because I think it's going to be a full blown, 50-50 RBBC. Hillis is a very good receiver, and he's going to all the TDs. I expect Charles to struggle a bit his 1st season back, especially since ACL tears typically take some of your explosiveness away for first year, and Charles relies on his explosiveness. But I don't see anyway for Hillis to be top 10 unless Charles goes down again

Um, Hillis was hurt most of last season too. Plus he quit on his team. Lammey said that his time in Denver showed he has a fragile psyche. He doesn't react well to aggressive coaching so he could very well go into a shell again. Sounds like he's a little unstable. Also he's splitting time with one of the most dynamic players in the entire NFL. Pass.

People are really sleeping on Emmanuel Sanders. The door is opening for him. The Pittsburgh offense is going to spread the ball around and he's the clear third option there. Recent news states that Ben is going to be asked to make more plays from the pocket. Sanders can play, no doubt. He just needs to stay healthy but that's fluky as well. Guys are injury prone until they aren't.

Last edited by a moderator:
Um, Hillis was hurt most of last season too. Plus he quit on his team. Lammey said that his time in Denver showed he has a fragile psyche. He doesn't react well to aggressive coaching so he could very well go into a shell again. Sounds like he's a little unstable. Also he's splitting time with one of the most dynamic players in the entire NFL. Pass.
I was thinking something similar to this also. Good posting.

A guy I like this year is Greg Little.Looks like he's committed himself to losing weight (no more cupcakes) in the offseason; a new QB in Weeden that should get the ball to him in the open field better than McCoy could; a high quality RB in Richardson that should help the offense overall move the chains; and most importantly, virtually no real competition at WR (Mo Mass is terrible) - really only Evan Moore and an aging Ben Watson to draw looks.
Did you watch him play last year? I did. :yucky:
Ya, I love his rookie stats and situation, but he's pretty terrible at everything when I watch his games. Those can be the hardest guys to project.

People are really sleeping on Emmanuel Sanders. The door is opening for him. The Pittsburgh offense is going to spread the ball around and he's the clear third option there. Recent news states that Ben is going to be asked to make more plays from the pocket. Sanders can play, no doubt. He just needs to stay healthy but that's fluky as well. Guys are injury prone until they aren't.
I like Sanders a lot too but as the #3 option can he really be effective? Does he have a legit shot at beating out Antonio Brown in terms of targets? Last season a lot of people, including myself, thought Sanders was going to blossom, but he got hurt and Brown stepped up. Any Pitt homers think Sanders is in for a nice year?

Does he really have much value? If he's the clear third option, will he see enough to become fantasy relevant? The third option on the Steelers over the last two years has only been a FF WR7. Unless you think Wallace will miss significant time or Sanders will beat out Brown, it's tough to imagine him doing enough to contribute to your fantasy team.

I like Sanders a lot too but as the #3 option can he really be effective? Does he have a legit shot at beating out Antonio Brown in terms of targets? Last season a lot of people, including myself, thought Sanders was going to blossom, but he got hurt and Brown stepped up. Any Pitt homers think Sanders is in for a nice year?
No chance of beating Antonio or Wallace for targets. But he doesn't have to share much with his back or tight ends unlike many others.

A guy I like this year is Greg Little.

Looks like he's committed himself to losing weight (no more cupcakes) in the offseason; a new QB in Weeden that should get the ball to him in the open field better than McCoy could; a high quality RB in Richardson that should help the offense overall move the chains; and most importantly, virtually no real competition at WR (Mo Mass is terrible) - really only Evan Moore and an aging Ben Watson to draw looks.
Did you watch him play last year? I did. :yucky:
Ya, I love his rookie stats and situation, but he's pretty terrible at everything when I watch his games. Those can be the hardest guys to project.
Apparently team brass didn't think so, to the point of not addressing the WR situation in FA or the draft. He could flop again, but I guess I'm keeping an open mind considering he had no training camp and hadn't played the position in two years.

Does he really have much value? If he's the clear third option, will he see enough to become fantasy relevant? The third option on the Steelers over the last two years has only been a FF WR7. Unless you think Wallace will miss significant time or Sanders will beat out Brown, it's tough to imagine him doing enough to contribute to your fantasy team.
maybe in return leagues he might have a little value in deeper leagues.

maybe in return leagues he might have a little value in deeper leagues.
The offensive system is changing. I think we are looking at a shift in philosophy in Pittsburgh. Ben is struggling with it but with change there is always struggle. Sanders is a good player and doesn't have to deal with a Jimmy Graham or Lesean McCoy grabbing 70 balls. Those throws will go through the wideouts.

His name crossed my mind but I didn't consider him to be a true "sleeper," or someone who would be truly overlooked so much as he'll be undervalued, after the year he had a couple years ago. KC has revamped its offensive line this offseason however, and I expect a split of about 50/50 with charles with Hillis getting the goalline carries and a fair amount of receptions. I don't expect numbers like he had two years ago, but I think he'll be closer than those numbers than he'll be the numbers he had last year.

Change of scenery beneficiaries...

Eddie Royal and Chaz Schilens.

PLUS: Old goat rise from the dead...

Carson Palmer

Change of scenery beneficiaries...Eddie Royal and Chaz Schilens.PLUS: Old goat rise from the dead...Carson Palmer
I always liked Eddie Royal. I think he could emerge. This is probably his last shot.
he had one great season with a legit QB throwing the ball (cutler). since that rookie year, he's been stuck with crummy QB play (orton/tebow). i remember- 2 year ago? - he asked to play a downfield threat to open things underneath because orton didn't have the arm (i guess). he could easily bounce back on the chargers. he has the physical tools to do it, a QB with a live arm, a willing OC, and not really that much proven talent ahead of him. this could be a time for him to get the old magic back.

I don't think people are appreciating the gravity of Brandon Marshall and Jay Cutler. Both are heading north bigtime. I expect Marshall to be Top 5, ahead of Nicks, AJ Green, and Roddy. I expect Cutler to turn in his very best season.

I'll repeat my mention of Marcel Reece, particularly for deep leagues. If McFadden should actually stay healthy all year (for a change) he would still have a value equal to or better than that of Michael Bush a couple years ago. If McFadden can't stay healthy or still suffers from his previous lis franc injury than Reece will be a certifiable stud for 2012.

I'll repeat my mention of Marcel Reece, particularly for deep leagues. If McFadden should actually stay healthy all year (for a change) he would still have a value equal to or better than that of Michael Bush a couple years ago. If McFadden can't stay healthy or still suffers from his previous lis franc injury than Reece will be a certifiable stud for 2012.
i like reece's pieces as much as the next guy, but what about goodson? you dont think that he will be a factor? i honestly dont know much about the backup situation in oakland.but i fully expect mcfadden to miss games again and again.

I don't think people are appreciating the gravity of Brandon Marshall and Jay Cutler. Both are heading north bigtime. I expect Marshall to be Top 5, ahead of Nicks, AJ Green, and Roddy. I expect Cutler to turn in his very best season.
I really agree on Marshall in PPR leagues. He averaged 90 - 1187 per 16 games with garbage around him in Miami and has zero real competition for targets and a significant QB upgrade in Chicago. 100 catches seems reasonable if Marshall plays 16 games, as does 1300 yards. Cutler has thrown 24.5 TD passes per 16 in Chicago with utter crap for receivers, so Marshall's TDs should improve - maybe to 8/9. If you're willing to accept the suspension risk, I like Marshall as a strong WR1.I think that Cutler has a good year also, but his value will hinge on league size etc. 4000/25 with higher than average INTs and minimal rushing isn't worth what it used to be..

I apparently found my "mostly hotly debated situation of the preseason" topic in Cutler. So I will either walk away less convinced that Cutler (and by extension Marshall) will do much . . . or you (collectively, not you individually) will get me to see the light and expect big things.Since you mentioned Marshall as a Top 5 candidate, I ask . . . W-H-Y? In 0 ppr leagues, his career best has been WR9. And that was when he played with Cutler . . . when he threw the ball 616 times. This begs the question . . . how are these two going to do so much better to vault up the rankings when in this day and age fantasy scoring has escalated?In throwing those 616 passes in 2008, Cutler produced 4526/25 for 347 fantasy points to rank QB5. Last year, that same total would have ranked 9th. The Broncos that year were Top 3 in passing attemps and Bottom 5 in rushing attempts. The defense in was ranked Bottom 3 to Bottom 5 in almost every measurable category. Anyone care to guess who the leading rusher for Denver was in 2008? Give yourself a pat on the back if you guessed Peyton Hillis with 343 yards. (That was the season of recurring RB injuries for the Broncos.) Bottom line, they had 620 passes to go along with 387 rushes.Looking at the Bears, I keep hearing that Cutler did not do better because of poor WR play. I don't know how to prove or disprove that, so I'll take the easy way out and just agree that that was an issue. That still doesn't change the fact that the Bears as a team have had much different tendancies than the Broncos did and are constructed differently than Denver was.In the Cutler in Chicago era, the Bears have averaged 500 rushing attempts and 414 rushing attempts (with the trend migrating towards more emphasis on the run . . . they started at a 60/40 ratio but that has since moved to 51/49 pass/run). The defense is still above average to good. The running game actually should be even stronger this year with the addition of Michael Bush. Maybe I am missing something, but I read the situation as the Bears still having a vested interest in RUNNING the football.Yes, Marshall is an upgrade. Maybe Jeffrey is too, but I generally would be conservative with projections of rookie receivers. Other than 2008, Cutler's best fantasy ranking was 11th. His 2nd best year in yardage was 3666 and his career high in TDs is 27. He's not going to put up a lot of fantasy points on the ground. Cutler's passing efficiency and peripheral passing numbers have remained fairly constant over his career. Basically, he's been the same guy as he's always been . . . whether it was in Denver or Chicago.I will give him the benefit of the doubt and suggest he should do SOME WHAT better this year than the past few years . . . but I still don't see him approaching the big boys in terms of fantasy numbers. Several folks are pointing to the departure of Mike Martz as a good thing, which seems odd to me given that Martz has produced many years and receivers with fantasy numbers that were off the charts. Add everything up, and unless Cutler throws the ball even more than he did in Denver, I don't see how he or Marshall are Top 5 candidates.Marshall's best season was actually 2007 when he scored 180 fantasy points. Last year, that would have ranked 7th. Let's say Cutler perfroms at the same rate as he did in 2008 but scale things down for fewer attempts. If he passed the ball 550 times (which to me seems like as good a number to pick out of a hat as any, Cutler would score 309 fantasy points this year (basically 89% of his 2008 total), which would make him a borderline fantasy QB1 if he played all 16 games. IMO, that's about the best I would expect out of Cutler this year. While 550 attempts might seem low to some, none of the FBG staffers even project Cutler to throw the ball even 500 times.Since Cutler and Marshall's fates seem to be interlocked, I don't see Cutler throwing enough or doing much better on a ypa or TD scored basis, which limits the upside of both of them. I don't see either one hanging enough TDs on the scoreboard to make them approach the elite category. IMO, a good year for Cutler will net him in the QB12-15 range. A good year from Marshall will slot him in the WR10-15 range.

Cutler and Marshall both did all that damage a few years ago when rules were not quite so slanted to facilitae the passing game. Both are more experienced now while still being in their respective primes. The past is the past. Rules are different now and passing games are exploding. Heck 50% of the NFC North have historically explosive passing attacks going on right now. You want to compete, you need to score tons of points. Detroit and Green Bay dictate the pace and the Bears know that as evidenced by the Martz departure (they hired him to usher in an explosive passing attack but he failed) and also the addition of not just one big mean weapon but two of them. This was done not to compliment Hester and Knox but to replace them.

I apparently found my "mostly hotly debated situation of the preseason" topic in Cutler. So I will either walk away less convinced that Cutler (and by extension Marshall) will do much . . . or you (collectively, not you individually) will get me to see the light and expect big things.Since you mentioned Marshall as a Top 5 candidate, I ask . . . W-H-Y? In 0 ppr leagues, his career best has been WR9. And that was when he played with Cutler . . . when he threw the ball 616 times. This begs the question . . . how are these two going to do so much better to vault up the rankings when in this day and age fantasy scoring has escalated?

In throwing those 616 passes in 2008, Cutler produced 4526/25 for 347 fantasy points to rank QB5. Last year, that same total would have ranked 9th. The Broncos that year were Top 3 in passing attemps and Bottom 5 in rushing attempts. The defense in was ranked Bottom 3 to Bottom 5 in almost every measurable category. Anyone care to guess who the leading rusher for Denver was in 2008? Give yourself a pat on the back if you guessed Peyton Hillis with 343 yards. (That was the season of recurring RB injuries for the Broncos.) Bottom line, they had 620 passes to go along with 387 rushes.

Looking at the Bears, I keep hearing that Cutler did not do better because of poor WR play. I don't know how to prove or disprove that, so I'll take the easy way out and just agree that that was an issue. That still doesn't change the fact that the Bears as a team have had much different tendancies than the Broncos did and are constructed differently than Denver was.

In the Cutler in Chicago era, the Bears have averaged 500 rushing attempts and 414 rushing attempts (with the trend migrating towards more emphasis on the run . . . they started at a 60/40 ratio but that has since moved to 51/49 pass/run). The defense is still above average to good. The running game actually should be even stronger this year with the addition of Michael Bush. Maybe I am missing something, but I read the situation as the Bears still having a vested interest in RUNNING the football.

Yes, Marshall is an upgrade. Maybe Jeffrey is too, but I generally would be conservative with projections of rookie receivers. Other than 2008, Cutler's best fantasy ranking was 11th. His 2nd best year in yardage was 3666 and his career high in TDs is 27. He's not going to put up a lot of fantasy points on the ground. Cutler's passing efficiency and peripheral passing numbers have remained fairly constant over his career. Basically, he's been the same guy as he's always been . . . whether it was in Denver or Chicago.

I will give him the benefit of the doubt and suggest he should do SOME WHAT better this year than the past few years . . . but I still don't see him approaching the big boys in terms of fantasy numbers. Several folks are pointing to the departure of Mike Martz as a good thing, which seems odd to me given that Martz has produced many years and receivers with fantasy numbers that were off the charts. Add everything up, and unless Cutler throws the ball even more than he did in Denver, I don't see how he or Marshall are Top 5 candidates.

Marshall's best season was actually 2007 when he scored 180 fantasy points. Last year, that would have ranked 7th. Let's say Cutler perfroms at the same rate as he did in 2008 but scale things down for fewer attempts. If he passed the ball 550 times (which to me seems like as good a number to pick out of a hat as any, Cutler would score 309 fantasy points this year (basically 89% of his 2008 total), which would make him a borderline fantasy QB1 if he played all 16 games. IMO, that's about the best I would expect out of Cutler this year. While 550 attempts might seem low to some, none of the FBG staffers even project Cutler to throw the ball even 500 times.

Since Cutler and Marshall's fates seem to be interlocked, I don't see Cutler throwing enough or doing much better on a ypa or TD scored basis, which limits the upside of both of them. I don't see either one hanging enough TDs on the scoreboard to make them approach the elite category. IMO, a good year for Cutler will net him in the QB12-15 range. A good year from Marshall will slot him in the WR10-15 range.
Has Jay Cutler improved since coming to Chicago?-2009 was his worst statistical season of his career and I think everyone could see that he was pressing, trying to make things happen.

-2011 Jay Cutler set career highs with his lowest INT % at 2.2 and Yards per completion at 12.7. In 2011, he also had the second most yards per game of his career and his 7.4 Yards per attempt beat his career year in Denver.

Red zone:

2011= 8 TD 0 INT

2010= 15 TD 3 INT

-So if Jay Cutler could put up those numbers with one of the worst receiving groups in the league...why are we putting limits on his potential in 2012 when adding in 3 new weapons?

Lets look at Tom Brady:

3 super bowl titles before the 2007 season and most thought they knew who he was.

2006 stats: 319/516 61.8% 3529 yards 24 TD 4.7 TD% 12 INT 6.8 Y/A 11.1 Y/C 220.6 Y/G

2007 stats: 398/578 68.9% 4806 yards 50 TD 8.7 TD% 8 INT 8.3 Y/A 12.1 Y/C 300.4 Y/G

The difference was two new additions. Now i'm not comparing Randy Moss/Wes Welker to Brandon Marshall/Alshon Jeffery or Tom Brady/Jay Cutler. Simply stating that Tom Brady really improved when the talent around him got upgraded...when many thought they knew his ceiling. Jay Cutler improved his numbers in Chicago despite the talent around him.

You're also comparing different eras...the 2008 NFL rules are much different from the 2012 NFL rules...that favor passing games.

I apparently found my "mostly hotly debated situation of the preseason" topic in Cutler. So I will either walk away less convinced that Cutler (and by extension Marshall) will do much . . . or you (collectively, not you individually) will get me to see the light and expect big things.Since you mentioned Marshall as a Top 5 candidate, I ask . . . W-H-Y? In 0 ppr leagues, his career best has been WR9. And that was when he played with Cutler . . . when he threw the ball 616 times. This begs the question . . . how are these two going to do so much better to vault up the rankings when in this day and age fantasy scoring has escalated?

In throwing those 616 passes in 2008, Cutler produced 4526/25 for 347 fantasy points to rank QB5. Last year, that same total would have ranked 9th. The Broncos that year were Top 3 in passing attemps and Bottom 5 in rushing attempts. The defense in was ranked Bottom 3 to Bottom 5 in almost every measurable category. Anyone care to guess who the leading rusher for Denver was in 2008? Give yourself a pat on the back if you guessed Peyton Hillis with 343 yards. (That was the season of recurring RB injuries for the Broncos.) Bottom line, they had 620 passes to go along with 387 rushes.

Looking at the Bears, I keep hearing that Cutler did not do better because of poor WR play. I don't know how to prove or disprove that, so I'll take the easy way out and just agree that that was an issue. That still doesn't change the fact that the Bears as a team have had much different tendancies than the Broncos did and are constructed differently than Denver was.

In the Cutler in Chicago era, the Bears have averaged 500 rushing attempts and 414 rushing attempts (with the trend migrating towards more emphasis on the run . . . they started at a 60/40 ratio but that has since moved to 51/49 pass/run). The defense is still above average to good. The running game actually should be even stronger this year with the addition of Michael Bush. Maybe I am missing something, but I read the situation as the Bears still having a vested interest in RUNNING the football.

Yes, Marshall is an upgrade. Maybe Jeffrey is too, but I generally would be conservative with projections of rookie receivers. Other than 2008, Cutler's best fantasy ranking was 11th. His 2nd best year in yardage was 3666 and his career high in TDs is 27. He's not going to put up a lot of fantasy points on the ground. Cutler's passing efficiency and peripheral passing numbers have remained fairly constant over his career. Basically, he's been the same guy as he's always been . . . whether it was in Denver or Chicago.

I will give him the benefit of the doubt and suggest he should do SOME WHAT better this year than the past few years . . . but I still don't see him approaching the big boys in terms of fantasy numbers. Several folks are pointing to the departure of Mike Martz as a good thing, which seems odd to me given that Martz has produced many years and receivers with fantasy numbers that were off the charts. Add everything up, and unless Cutler throws the ball even more than he did in Denver, I don't see how he or Marshall are Top 5 candidates.

Marshall's best season was actually 2007 when he scored 180 fantasy points. Last year, that would have ranked 7th. Let's say Cutler perfroms at the same rate as he did in 2008 but scale things down for fewer attempts. If he passed the ball 550 times (which to me seems like as good a number to pick out of a hat as any, Cutler would score 309 fantasy points this year (basically 89% of his 2008 total), which would make him a borderline fantasy QB1 if he played all 16 games. IMO, that's about the best I would expect out of Cutler this year. While 550 attempts might seem low to some, none of the FBG staffers even project Cutler to throw the ball even 500 times.

Since Cutler and Marshall's fates seem to be interlocked, I don't see Cutler throwing enough or doing much better on a ypa or TD scored basis, which limits the upside of both of them. I don't see either one hanging enough TDs on the scoreboard to make them approach the elite category. IMO, a good year for Cutler will net him in the QB12-15 range. A good year from Marshall will slot him in the WR10-15 range.
Has Jay Cutler improved since coming to Chicago?-2009 was his worst statistical season of his career and I think everyone could see that he was pressing, trying to make things happen.

-2011 Jay Cutler set career highs with his lowest INT % at 2.2 and Yards per completion at 12.7. In 2011, he also had the second most yards per game of his career and his 7.4 Yards per attempt beat his career year in Denver.

Red zone:

2011= 8 TD 0 INT

2010= 15 TD 3 INT

-So if Jay Cutler could put up those numbers with one of the worst receiving groups in the league...why are we putting limits on his potential in 2012 when adding in 3 new weapons?

Lets look at Tom Brady:

3 super bowl titles before the 2007 season and most thought they knew who he was.

2006 stats: 319/516 61.8% 3529 yards 24 TD 4.7 TD% 12 INT 6.8 Y/A 11.1 Y/C 220.6 Y/G

2007 stats: 398/578 68.9% 4806 yards 50 TD 8.7 TD% 8 INT 8.3 Y/A 12.1 Y/C 300.4 Y/G

The difference was two new additions. Now i'm not comparing Randy Moss/Wes Welker to Brandon Marshall/Alshon Jeffery or Tom Brady/Jay Cutler. Simply stating that Tom Brady really improved when the talent around him got upgraded...when many thought they knew his ceiling. Jay Cutler improved his numbers in Chicago despite the talent around him.

You're also comparing different eras...the 2008 NFL rules are much different from the 2012 NFL rules...that favor passing games.
We have no way of knowing if anyone other than Marshall is an upgrade. Rookies are a total crapshoot. Everyone thought Bennett would be a stud, yet somehow now he is not talented and a poor receiver? I don't get it. His college numbers PLAYING WITH CUTLER were as good or better than Jeffrey's. As for your analogy, I don't see Cutler anywhere near in the same league as Brady, nor do I see the new breed of receivers in Chicago on par with the Patriots adding Moss, Welker, and Stallworth. Similarly, the Bears are LOSING one of the the greatest passing minds and supplier of elite fantasy passing numbers in NFL history while the Patriots had McDaniels and his schemes to work off of. IMO, Chicago's receiving corps in 2011 was better than Brady's receiving corps in 2006.

In 2011, Cutler had a career low in TD% and completion%. He also had the second lowest passer rating of his career and his ypa was the same as it was for his total time in Denver. Yes, he had decent red zone production last year, but taken on a whole his fantasy numbers and efficiency numbers were not great. Yes, he had a lower INT percentage, but in most fantasy leagues that's mostly inconsequential.

Comparing Cutler in Denver to Cutler in Chicago: Higher completion%, higher ypa, higher yards/gm, higher passer rating, lower INT rate overall in his time in Denver compared to his total time in Chicago. I am not at this point willing to say that adding Marshall and a rookie WR and TE is enough to make Cutler a fantasy stud.

All of that still doesn't change the other concerns I raised (good defense, good running game, not enough passing attempts, escalating fantasy numbers for elite QBs, etc.). And if the Bears were looking to tap into the new passing crazed era of the NFL, wouldn't they have shown signs of that last year and wouldn't they have been closer to the top when they still had Martz (THE all time passing mad scientist)?

Couple of things David:

1.) I live in Chicagoland (as a transplant, no Bears homer) and don't recall anyone EVER calling Earl Bennett a stud. The consensus has been that he can be a decent slot / possession / 3rd WR. Fantasy wise he's been more of a "well someone has to catch the ball and he might suck the least of em" pick. If you haven't watched a ton of Bears' football, you are likely underestimating the vast gulf between Bennett, Knox, and Hester (none of whom should be starting on an NFL team aspiring to the playoffs) and a true #1 like Brandon Marshall.

2.) Jay Cutler doesn'd need to be a stud to represent good value going off the board as QB15.

3.) Martz wasn't a good fit with Cutler, personality-wise or as far as system matching player strengths. That's on both of them obviously, but the bottom line is that his loss probably isn't a negative at all.

Red zone:

2011= 8 TD 0 INT

2010= 15 TD 3 INT

Lets look at Tom Brady:

We have no way of knowing if anyone other than Marshall is an upgrade. Rookies are a total crapshoot. Everyone thought Bennett would be a stud, yet somehow now he is not talented and a poor receiver? I don't get it. His college numbers PLAYING WITH CUTLER were as good or better than Jeffrey's. Nobody ever called Earl Bennett a stud. I think injuries have snubbed his development more than anything...he's still 25. The Chicago WR's as a whole are poor...again seeing them fall down, stop on routes, drop passes, not fight for passes, etc is irritating. I would argue that Earl Bennett is the best WR in Chicago. He works well in the slot, is shifty after the catch, and makes plays. Roman Harper's bounty hit on him last year really hurt his season.

As for your analogy, I don't see Cutler anywhere near in the same league as Brady, nor do I see the new breed of receivers in Chicago on par with the Patriots adding Moss, Welker, and Stallworth. Similarly, the Bears are LOSING one of the the greatest passing minds and supplier of elite fantasy passing numbers in NFL history while the Patriots had McDaniels and his schemes to work off of. IMO, Chicago's receiving corps in 2011 was better than Brady's receiving corps in 2006.

As I said before, I'm NOT comparing the two in terms of personnel...but rather in how much new talent brought in can help a situation. The Bears are losing one of the greatest offensive minds from the late 1990/2000's...but not of the modern era. Whether one WR group(NE or Chicago)was worse than the other isn't the point...they're both bad. The point is how much room for improvement can be had. Bears 2012 WR>>>>>2011

In 2011, Cutler had a career low in TD% and completion%. He also had the second lowest passer rating of his career and his ypa was the same as it was for his total time in Denver. Yes, he had decent red zone production last year, but taken on a whole his fantasy numbers and efficiency numbers were not great. Yes, he had a lower INT percentage, but in most fantasy leagues that's mostly inconsequential.

So with bad WR's he improved in some regards and didn't set career highs in others....sounds pretty expected. To flip those into FF numbers is an unknown. Remember the unknown of bringing in Corey Dillon...or Randy Moss...or Mike Martz's impact on the Rams.

After Tom Brady got good weapons:

3 of his last 4 seasons have been over 4,000 yards...compared to only 1 season his first 6 years as a starter.

3 of his last 4 seasons have been 36 touchdowns or more...compared to a previous high of 28 TDs in 6 seasons as a starter.

4 of his last 4 seasons have been 65% completion...compared to only two seasons in the 63% range.

I'm not saying Jay Cutler is Brady....but look how much better he performed when he finally had the correct tools.

Comparing Cutler in Denver to Cutler in Chicago: Higher completion%, higher ypa, higher yards/gm, higher passer rating, lower INT rate overall in his time in Denver compared to his total time in Chicago. I am not at this point willing to say that adding Marshall and a rookie WR and TE is enough to make Cutler a fantasy stud.

The fact that you continue to compare Cutler Denver to Cutler Chicago without bringing up the skill difference at WR is disturbing. Of course he was better in Denver, you can't build a good house with rotten wood.

All of that still doesn't change the other concerns I raised (good defense, good running game, not enough passing attempts, escalating fantasy numbers for elite QBs, etc.). And if the Bears were looking to tap into the new passing crazed era of the NFL, wouldn't they have shown signs of that last year and wouldn't they have been closer to the top when they still had Martz (THE all time passing mad scientist)?

The Bears tried at the beginning of the last two seasons to pass the ball a ton.

In 2010: Cutler threw the ball more than 27 times in all 5 games before the bye week and only 3 times after the bye week. Problem is Cutler only had 6 games prior to the bye week(if you count his concussion game vs NYG) and 9 games after the bye week.

In 2011: Cutler threw 114 times in the first three games(Bears 1-2 record), that's more pass attempts than any other 3 games stretch by more than 13 pass attempts(Chicago only lost one other game while Cutler started).

In the end, I didn't see Chicago as a team running ball because they wanted to...more because they had to. You can't make lemonade with apples. Now the Bears finally have pieces in place to throw the football. That's why you traded for Cutler and Marshall, why you spent a 2nd/4th round pick on skill position players. You don't buy a hot-rod to let it sit in the garage...you put that baby out there for everyone to see.

My question is why are you putting a limit on Jay Cutler's abilities now that he has weapons? He's a better QB now than he was at the age of 24. Plus the rules are more in favor. Nobody is saying he will challenge for QB1...but why can't he be a great value and perhaps break into the top 10 given his ADP?

IMO what puts a ceiling on Cutler in 2012 is the O-line.

Since Cutler has been in CHI he has been sacked an averge of once every 10.7 attempts. To get to 4,000 yards at his career ypa of 7.3 he would have to put it up about 550 times. That's roughly 51 sacks.

Yes, I'm sure part of that was the Martz system but they didn't do much to improve the O-line personnel either. It's hard to see Cutler putting up 4,000 yards when he's going to be pressured if not on his back so much. Probably not 50 times but it's likely to impact his numbers.

Back in 2008 when Cutler had his career year he was only sacked 11 times in 616 attempts.

Cutler's stats will definitely improve from last year but tough to see him being a sleeper and entering QB1 territory with a sieve O-line.

IMO what puts a ceiling on Cutler in 2012 is the O-line.Since Cutler has been in CHI he has been sacked an averge of once every 10.7 attempts. To get to 4,000 yards at his career ypa of 7.3 he would have to put it up about 550 times. That's roughly 51 sacks.Yes, I'm sure part of that was the Martz system but they didn't do much to improve the O-line personnel either. It's hard to see Cutler putting up 4,000 yards when he's going to be pressured if not on his back so much. Probably not 50 times but it's likely to impact his numbers.Back in 2008 when Cutler had his career year he was only sacked 11 times in 616 attempts.Cutler's stats will definitely improve from last year but tough to see him being a sleeper and entering QB1 territory with a sieve O-line.
Valid concern...but I feel as though you're numbers are flawed.2009: Cutler had 555 attempts and sacked 35 times= 6.3%2010: Cutler had 432 attempts and sacked 52 times= 12%2011: Cutler had 314 attempts and sacked 23 times= 7.3%One of those years looks like a clear outlier. Add in the new scheme change + better weapons will prevent blitzing + 2011 1st round pick Gabe Carimi missing almost his entire rookie season. I wouldn't expect the OL to be great or anything...but that percentage should be in the 5's and maybe even 4's.

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't the rules that have enhanced the passing game change circa 2004ish? Not between 2008-2012 as several posters are suggesting.

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't the rules that have enhanced the passing game change circa 2004ish? Not between 2008-2012 as several posters are suggesting.
The rules haven't really changed, the enforcement has. Maybe there have been a few wrinkles here or there (the Brady rule for hitting QBs below the knee for example).As for your point, yes top tier QB totals for the most part have been climbing for a number of years now.

The rules haven't really changed, the enforcement has. Maybe there have been a few wrinkles here or there (the Brady rule for hitting QBs below the knee for example).As for your point, yes top tier QB totals for the most part have been climbing for a number of years now.
Found this to support what we are saying...
There were two big rule changes (that I can remember anyway). Well, one big rule change and one that wasn't really a rule change. The first is the 5 yard rule (or no-chuck rule) that happened in 1994, making it so that defenders couldn't impede receivers past 5 yards from the line of scrimmage. Passing yards went up by about 12 yards per team, per game, and there were more 4500 yard passers in the next two years than in the five years prior.More significantly, this rule got "re-emphasized" after the Pats secondary mugged the Colts receivers in the 03 playoffs. The mugging caused Colts GM Bill Polian to complain to the NFL and the NFL told refs to keep an eye on it. This fundamentally changed the game (although its worth noting the Pats beat the Colts again in 04).The very next season, Indy quarterback Peyton Manning (pictured here) went out and rewrote the record books, with 49 TD passes and a 121.1 passer rating that was nearly 10 points better than any that had come before it. The league-wide passer rating, meanwhile, jumped from 78.3 in 2003 to a record 82.8 in 2004.*One thing that's not mentioned here is what has happened to NFL cornerbacks. Where it was common pre2004 for linebackers to carry more of the load for covering tight ends and receivers, that became much harder once they couldn't shove them around off the line. Star cornerbacks who could take a receiver away in the open field became more important than coverage linebackers who could overpower them off the line. One could argue (I certainly would) this is one of the significant things that swung power from the Tedy Bruschi/Mike Vrabel era Pats to the Bob Sanders era Colts after 2004.

Austin Collie... He will be starting and Reggie Wayne still demands some coverage. He is great in the slot and Luck is a capable QB. Obviously there are the concussion concerns, but you can get Collie for a bag of peanuts.
Throwing between the numbers is an option that looks good especially for young QB's so Collie will get targets because of it.Rotoworld) After Tuesday's practice, Colts coach Chuck Pagano noted that Andrew Luck is "off the charts in terms of football IQ." Analysis: "He hasn't missed a beat," said Pagano after Luck completed 15-of-16 passes during 11-on-11 drills in Tuesday's practice. Added Austin Collie, who was Luck's favorite receiver in practice, "The kid has got it." Beat writer George Bremer confirms that "to the surprise of pretty much nobody," Luck was "impressive."

'Crazysight said:
Mike GoodsonNot gonna happen so save the third mention.

Red zone:

2011= 8 TD 0 INT

2010= 15 TD 3 INT

Lets look at Tom Brady:

We have no way of knowing if anyone other than Marshall is an upgrade. Rookies are a total crapshoot. Everyone thought Bennett would be a stud, yet somehow now he is not talented and a poor receiver? I don't get it. His college numbers PLAYING WITH CUTLER were as good or better than Jeffrey's. As for your analogy, I don't see Cutler anywhere near in the same league as Brady, nor do I see the new breed of receivers in Chicago on par with the Patriots adding Moss, Welker, and Stallworth. Similarly, the Bears are LOSING one of the the greatest passing minds and supplier of elite fantasy passing numbers in NFL history while the Patriots had McDaniels and his schemes to work off of. IMO, Chicago's receiving corps in 2011 was better than Brady's receiving corps in 2006.

Who thought Bennett would be a stud? I don't think anyone was expecting 1400 yards and 12 touchdowns.

James Starks
Rotoworld agrees with you that he is undervalued:http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/nfl/234742/packers-committed-to-starks-as-lead-back

Packers committed to Starks as lead back

With free agent Ryan Grant out of the backfield picture, the Packers are committed to James Starks as their lead back.

Just as he did in OTAs, Starks handled first-team reps in Tuesday's minicamp session. "He's a young raw guy that needs to play," said coach Mike McCarthy. "If he can stay healthy, I think he'll make a significant jump as a player." For the primary back in an explosive offense, Starks has received surprisingly little buzz this offseason. He's well worth the price tag at his current late-sixth round ADP.

Red zone:

2011= 8 TD 0 INT

2010= 15 TD 3 INT

Lets look at Tom Brady:

Who thought Bennett would be a stud? I don't think anyone was expecting 1400 yards and 12 touchdowns.
He's done with posting...just like his other two attempts of haterade(joking) this offseason on Cutler.

I'm pleasantly surprised at how awesome this thread has turned out. Lots of great names thrown in.....Some pie-in-the-sky guys thrown out there for sure, but most are pretty awesome. I'm certainly going to take a second/third look at a lot of them. I still think Donald Brown is being criminally underrated this year though.

To throw my hat into the Cutler-Marshall debate (which deserves its own thread, btw). I agree that both him and Marshall are going to have an incredible year together.

1. While the Bears have traditionally been a run first/win with defense team, I believe they are going to get away from that in a big way this year. Simply out of necessity if anything else. Forte is a holdout who, if it drags on well into the offseason, could struggle early on or sustain a major injury as many many holdouts before him have. Add to that the aging defense who certainly don't look as good as they did in 05-06, it all adds up to Lovie taking the leash off the passing game (which I think they've been wanting to do since Cutler showed up, only they now finally have the pieces in place to do it).

2. Not only have the Bears changed, but the division has as well. It wouldn't surprise me at all if the NFC north led the league in all the passing stats this year. Even the Vikings are going to have to try and pass much more than the past, key word (try). The Bears will have to keep up with the Lions and Packers, and I don't think they're gonna do it running the offense through Michael Bush.

3. Everyone points to the departure of Martz as a good thing...And it is. Especially for the O-line. O-line play has notoriously been atrocious under Martz. QB's become sitting ducks behind his O-line schemes. Martz set that offense back a few years. I agree with previous posts that Cutler-Martz just wasn't a good fit. I expect a big improvement in O-line play this year, simply due to scheme changes more than anything. But lets not forget its not just the departure of Martz that helps, but the addition of Tice. Who coached a top 3 offense with Culpepper in the early 2000's. That's been understated and I think it will be HUGE for the Bears passing attack.

4. As for Marshall... His game certainly has matured, as others have said. I just hope beyond hope that he has at least gotten his off field issues under some semblance of control. Even just enough to get through a season without trouble. The Bears seem like a more disciplined and well structured front office than either the Broncos or the Dolphins, so hopefully that helps. Because if he can put his mind to football and keep his emotions in check (Cutler too to some degree)....The sky is the limit for these two.

James Starks
Rotoworld agrees with you that he is undervalued:http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/nfl/234742/packers-committed-to-starks-as-lead-back

Packers committed to Starks as lead back

With free agent Ryan Grant out of the backfield picture, the Packers are committed to James Starks as their lead back.

Just as he did in OTAs, Starks handled first-team reps in Tuesday's minicamp session. "He's a young raw guy that needs to play," said coach Mike McCarthy. "If he can stay healthy, I think he'll make a significant jump as a player." For the primary back in an explosive offense, Starks has received surprisingly little buzz this offseason. He's well worth the price tag at his current late-sixth round ADP.
I think it's probably the other way around. He agrees with rotoworld

I've always been a fan of Starks' game. Stubbornly been holding on to him in one league so hopefully it pays off. If he can manage to stay healthy, given the offense and his competition, I could see mid level rb2 production. That's obviously a big if though. I wouldn't be counting on him

I'm pleasantly surprised at how awesome this thread has turned out. Lots of great names thrown in.....Some pie-in-the-sky guys thrown out there for sure, but most are pretty awesome. I'm certainly going to take a second/third look at a lot of them. I still think Donald Brown is being criminally underrated this year though. To throw my hat into the Cutler-Marshall debate (which deserves its own thread, btw). I agree that both him and Marshall are going to have an incredible year together.1. While the Bears have traditionally been a run first/win with defense team, I believe they are going to get away from that in a big way this year. Simply out of necessity if anything else. Forte is a holdout who, if it drags on well into the offseason, could struggle early on or sustain a major injury as many many holdouts before him have. Add to that the aging defense who certainly don't look as good as they did in 05-06, it all adds up to Lovie taking the leash off the passing game (which I think they've been wanting to do since Cutler showed up, only they now finally have the pieces in place to do it).2. Not only have the Bears changed, but the division has as well. It wouldn't surprise me at all if the NFC north led the league in all the passing stats this year. Even the Vikings are going to have to try and pass much more than the past, key word (try). The Bears will have to keep up with the Lions and Packers, and I don't think they're gonna do it running the offense through Michael Bush.3. Everyone points to the departure of Martz as a good thing...And it is. Especially for the O-line. O-line play has notoriously been atrocious under Martz. QB's become sitting ducks behind his O-line schemes. Martz set that offense back a few years. I agree with previous posts that Cutler-Martz just wasn't a good fit. I expect a big improvement in O-line play this year, simply due to scheme changes more than anything. But lets not forget its not just the departure of Martz that helps, but the addition of Tice. Who coached a top 3 offense with Culpepper in the early 2000's. That's been understated and I think it will be HUGE for the Bears passing attack.4. As for Marshall... His game certainly has matured, as others have said. I just hope beyond hope that he has at least gotten his off field issues under some semblance of control. Even just enough to get through a season without trouble. The Bears seem like a more disciplined and well structured front office than either the Broncos or the Dolphins, so hopefully that helps. Because if he can put his mind to football and keep his emotions in check (Cutler too to some degree)....The sky is the limit for these two.
There are so many things to address here that I don't know where to begin. For starters, it almost seems like an injury and an extended hold out for Forte is essentially a foregone conclusion . . . which obviously neither has happened as of yet.Again, up until now (which I agree things can change), the Bears have not yet shown a propensity to tap into the new vanguard of a pass happy NFL. Maybe they will start to migrate in that direction, but I don't see them going from 473 passing attempts to 620 passing attempts in one fell swoop. The Bears defense was not as strong as it had been, but they were still Top 5 against the run. They did get carved up against the pass, and that aspect of this season will play a HUGE part in assessing the prospects for the offense. If the secondary can limit opponents in the passing game, the offense can basically go ball control. If the defense keeps getting lit up, they very well may have to pass to stay in games (which certainly would lend itself to a more potent passing attack).I find it a bit funny that Martz, the grand master of passing prowess and a fantasy production legend, is getting shown the door as if that's a good thing while adding Tice is considered a good think. On the one hand, the main thorn in the side people are suggesting about Martz is that his scheme worked in the early 2000s but not in today's game. Yet Tice hasn't run an offense in 7 years and his scheme was effective at the same time as Martz' was. We have no idea if his offense will play any better in 2012 than Martz' did and if it will stick with the Bears personnel any better.Speaking of Tice, he inherited a team with Culpepper and Moss. I don't see Cutler as being the same type of QB as Culpepper and I certainly don't put Marshall in the same class as Randy Moss in his prime. Also, the Vikings played the majority of their games indoors and on turf (much like the greatest show on turf Rams did). One of the first things Tice did was turn the Vikings into the league's #1 running team.Also, for those that were saying Cutler will take fewer sacks, Culpepper was sacked 161 times in 53 games with Tice as head coach . . . or a run rate of 49 times per 16 games played. IMO, that does not bode well for Cutler.So bottom line, Martz' history of having a Top 1 offense gets trumped by Tice who never had a Top 3 offense scoring wise.Full disclosure wise, Tice as a HC in MIN ranked 24, 8, 6, 6, and 19 in terms of points scored and 12, 2, 1, 4, and 25 in terms of yards gained. Also noteeowrthy is how poorly the offense fared when Moss got shipped off to Oakland. IMO, Moss was made the Vikings offense tick. A case could be made that Tice did not do much without an uber talent like Moss in his prime (although having only one year without Moss doesn't really prove much of anything).Maybe the Bears will make radical changes and have immensely better results. I can see where Bears fans are hopeful that things will change . . . but I think the gains in the offense will not be as demonstrative as some here are making them out to be.

Mike Martz' offense system is based on deep timing routes and getting all 5 eligible receivers involved in the passing game. The Bears had neither the OL or receiving weapons to pull it off; Cutler got killed trying to wait for his crappy WRs to give him a window down field. IMO that's mostly on Jerry Angelo, but what's done is done. Bottom line for me is that the guy's offense was 28th and 26th in passing during his tenure in Chicago; clearly things weren't working out at all, so a change was needed and likely to be a positive.

I disagree somewhat with you view of Martz in general also; his Rams would likely have been outstanding offensively regardless of system based on talent alone, and his top ranked offense post-St Louis was still only 19th in the NFL. He got surprising passing production in Detroit, but IMO that was mainly based on high numbers of attempts as opposed to anything else. He's a good offensive coach, but I don't see him as a genius or anything. His system was certainly a poor fit for the Bears in any case.

I'm pleasantly surprised at how awesome this thread has turned out. Lots of great names thrown in.....Some pie-in-the-sky guys thrown out there for sure, but most are pretty awesome. I'm certainly going to take a second/third look at a lot of them. I still think Donald Brown is being criminally underrated this year though. To throw my hat into the Cutler-Marshall debate (which deserves its own thread, btw). I agree that both him and Marshall are going to have an incredible year together.1. While the Bears have traditionally been a run first/win with defense team, I believe they are going to get away from that in a big way this year. Simply out of necessity if anything else. Forte is a holdout who, if it drags on well into the offseason, could struggle early on or sustain a major injury as many many holdouts before him have. Add to that the aging defense who certainly don't look as good as they did in 05-06, it all adds up to Lovie taking the leash off the passing game (which I think they've been wanting to do since Cutler showed up, only they now finally have the pieces in place to do it).2. Not only have the Bears changed, but the division has as well. It wouldn't surprise me at all if the NFC north led the league in all the passing stats this year. Even the Vikings are going to have to try and pass much more than the past, key word (try). The Bears will have to keep up with the Lions and Packers, and I don't think they're gonna do it running the offense through Michael Bush.3. Everyone points to the departure of Martz as a good thing...And it is. Especially for the O-line. O-line play has notoriously been atrocious under Martz. QB's become sitting ducks behind his O-line schemes. Martz set that offense back a few years. I agree with previous posts that Cutler-Martz just wasn't a good fit. I expect a big improvement in O-line play this year, simply due to scheme changes more than anything. But lets not forget its not just the departure of Martz that helps, but the addition of Tice. Who coached a top 3 offense with Culpepper in the early 2000's. That's been understated and I think it will be HUGE for the Bears passing attack.4. As for Marshall... His game certainly has matured, as others have said. I just hope beyond hope that he has at least gotten his off field issues under some semblance of control. Even just enough to get through a season without trouble. The Bears seem like a more disciplined and well structured front office than either the Broncos or the Dolphins, so hopefully that helps. Because if he can put his mind to football and keep his emotions in check (Cutler too to some degree)....The sky is the limit for these two.
There are so many things to address here that I don't know where to begin. For starters, it almost seems like an injury and an extended hold out for Forte is essentially a foregone conclusion . . . which obviously neither has happened as of yet.Again, up until now (which I agree things can change), the Bears have not yet shown a propensity to tap into the new vanguard of a pass happy NFL. Maybe they will start to migrate in that direction, but I don't see them going from 473 passing attempts to 620 passing attempts in one fell swoop. The Bears defense was not as strong as it had been, but they were still Top 5 against the run. They did get carved up against the pass, and that aspect of this season will play a HUGE part in assessing the prospects for the offense. If the secondary can limit opponents in the passing game, the offense can basically go ball control. If the defense keeps getting lit up, they very well may have to pass to stay in games (which certainly would lend itself to a more potent passing attack).I find it a bit funny that Martz, the grand master of passing prowess and a fantasy production legend, is getting shown the door as if that's a good thing while adding Tice is considered a good think. On the one hand, the main thorn in the side people are suggesting about Martz is that his scheme worked in the early 2000s but not in today's game. Yet Tice hasn't run an offense in 7 years and his scheme was effective at the same time as Martz' was. We have no idea if his offense will play any better in 2012 than Martz' did and if it will stick with the Bears personnel any better.Speaking of Tice, he inherited a team with Culpepper and Moss. I don't see Cutler as being the same type of QB as Culpepper and I certainly don't put Marshall in the same class as Randy Moss in his prime. Also, the Vikings played the majority of their games indoors and on turf (much like the greatest show on turf Rams did). One of the first things Tice did was turn the Vikings into the league's #1 running team.Also, for those that were saying Cutler will take fewer sacks, Culpepper was sacked 161 times in 53 games with Tice as head coach . . . or a run rate of 49 times per 16 games played. IMO, that does not bode well for Cutler.So bottom line, Martz' history of having a Top 1 offense gets trumped by Tice who never had a Top 3 offense scoring wise.Full disclosure wise, Tice as a HC in MIN ranked 24, 8, 6, 6, and 19 in terms of points scored and 12, 2, 1, 4, and 25 in terms of yards gained. Also noteeowrthy is how poorly the offense fared when Moss got shipped off to Oakland. IMO, Moss was made the Vikings offense tick. A case could be made that Tice did not do much without an uber talent like Moss in his prime (although having only one year without Moss doesn't really prove much of anything).Maybe the Bears will make radical changes and have immensely better results. I can see where Bears fans are hopeful that things will change . . . but I think the gains in the offense will not be as demonstrative as some here are making them out to be.
Two Points David:1) Do you not think that the Bears ran the ball out of necessity it as the strength of the team? Matt Forte, better run blocking vs pass blocking, lack of skill at WR, etc2) Whether it was a personnel issue or scheme issue, Martz had to go. Martz proved more times than not in his career that it was the personnel of Warner/Faulk/Holt/Bruce(all successful outside of Martz scheme) not his scheme...clearly Martz was not as successful without them. Would Martz' scheme be more successful with Marshall/Jeffery/Rodriguez/Bush...probably. But we will never find out. Sometimes a change of scenery will benefit everyone.A couple of other things that have reasons for optimism:-Tice is implementing things that were successful for Cutler in Denver-Alshon Jeffery was the first of all draft picks to sign and skipped a rookie function in LA, to instead be in Chicago to continue training.

Never really noticed the personnel Tice had to work with in Minnesota.2002: 390 points scoredCulpeppers first full year of starting, 75.3 ratingLeaders in receptions: Randy Moss, Dwayne Bates, Jim Kleinsasser, Michael Bennett2003: 416 points scoredCulpepper 96.4 ratingLeaders in receptions: Moss 111, Moe Williams 65, Jim Kleinsasser 46, Nate Burleson 292004: 405 points scoredCulpepper 110.9 ratingLeaders in receptions: Burleson 68, Moss 49, Marcus Robinson 472005: 306 points scoredCulpepper started 7 games, Brad Johnson 9 gamesLeaders in receptions: Wiggins 69, Travis Taylor 50, Mewelde Moore 37, Marcus Robinson 31Post Tice2006: 282 points scored with Brad ChildressCulpepper and Moss may be better than Cutler/Marshall. But is the rest of that junk better than Forte/Michael Bush...Jeffery/Bennett/Hester/Knox/Davis? They may be better, who knows. But Chicago put up 353/334 points scored the last two years. If Tice could put up 390(his first year as HC) that would be an increase in Chicago and would've been good for 10th in the NFL last season and 9th the year before.

Two Points David:1) Do you not think that the Bears ran the ball out of necessity it as the strength of the team? Matt Forte, better run blocking vs pass blocking, lack of skill at WR, etc2) Whether it was a personnel issue or scheme issue, Martz had to go. Martz proved more times than not in his career that it was the personnel of Warner/Faulk/Holt/Bruce(all successful outside of Martz scheme) not his scheme...clearly Martz was not as successful without them. Would Martz' scheme be more successful with Marshall/Jeffery/Rodriguez/Bush...probably. But we will never find out. Sometimes a change of scenery will benefit everyone.A couple of other things that have reasons for optimism:-Tice is implementing things that were successful for Cutler in Denver-Alshon Jeffery was the first of all draft picks to sign and skipped a rookie function in LA, to instead be in Chicago to continue training.
1) As I see it, the Bears ran the ball for a variety of reasons that included:- They they were good at it (Top 5-10 rushing offense)- They were better at run blocking than pass blocking- They were weaker at the pass- It kept more potent offenses off the field- It played into the game condition (ie it made more sense to run than pass)2) Yes, Martz was not as successful without a bevy of HOFers on the offense. Who wouldn't be?3) Bringing up that they may be emulating the scheme in Denver is not exactly going to win any points. Other than the one year where Cutler flung the ball around a ton, his numbers in Denver were not great. As we've danced around in about 6 threads now, if the Bears throw the ball 620 times like the Broncos did, I agree Cutler ON VOLUME ALONE becomes a fantasy factor . . . just like Jon Kitna did under Martz in Detroit.4) Jeffery signing and training means little to me. It's what he does on the field that counts. Since 1990, there have been 751 rookie WR. 46 of them scored 100 fantasy points. I don't have the time, interest, or desire to sift through where they were drafted, but suffice it to say that the huge majority of rookie WRs do not have a profound impact as rookies. Ditto for rookie tight ends. Of the 355 rookie TEs drafted since 1990, 8 scored 75 fantasy points.5) I ran the numbers. In 12 seasons as a head coach or offensive coordinator, Mike Martz teams averaged 48 sacks allowed per season and a 7.9% sack allowed percentage. In 4 years as a head coach in Minnesota, Tice's teams allowed an average of 48 sacks per season but at a slightly higher rate (8.2%) since those teams did not pass as often as Martz' teams did.

Never really noticed the personnel Tice had to work with in Minnesota.2002: 390 points scoredCulpeppers first full year of starting, 75.3 ratingLeaders in receptions: Randy Moss, Dwayne Bates, Jim Kleinsasser, Michael Bennett2003: 416 points scoredCulpepper 96.4 ratingLeaders in receptions: Moss 111, Moe Williams 65, Jim Kleinsasser 46, Nate Burleson 292004: 405 points scoredCulpepper 110.9 ratingLeaders in receptions: Burleson 68, Moss 49, Marcus Robinson 472005: 306 points scoredCulpepper started 7 games, Brad Johnson 9 gamesLeaders in receptions: Wiggins 69, Travis Taylor 50, Mewelde Moore 37, Marcus Robinson 31Post Tice2006: 282 points scored with Brad ChildressCulpepper and Moss may be better than Cutler/Marshall. But is the rest of that junk better than Forte/Michael Bush...Jeffery/Bennett/Hester/Knox/Davis? They may be better, who knows. But Chicago put up 353/334 points scored the last two years. If Tice could put up 390(his first year as HC) that would be an increase in Chicago and would've been good for 10th in the NFL last season and 9th the year before.
I'd be hard pressed to conclude anything other than the Vikings lived and died with Randy Moss . . . either through his direct production numbers or indirectly through him constantly demanding double or triple coverage. The first two years under Tice, Moss produced over 3000 yards and 24 TD. I don't see anyone on Chicago in that strata. Culpepper seemed to be a master of lobbing the perfect jump ball pass to Moss. IMO, that accounted for a huge amount of the offense in Minnesota. Without Moss in 2005, the Vikings scored 306 . . . roughly 100 fewer points than in the Moss days. I am not sure that is a vote of confidence for Tice's system.

Users who are viewing this thread