What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Shooting At Aurora, Colorado Movie Theater (3 Viewers)

F'ed up people do f'ed up things.

The technology used to be a maniac is less urgent than the person using that technology.
Yet in this country they almost always use guns. I wonder why that is. I wonder if it's because of the ease and convenience? There is no barrier to stop them and make them go to lengths to build improvised devices. It's curious that they don't use guns AND build improvised devices since they could kill more people that way. But then that would be inconvenient.
I really don't want to get sucked into this, but does the name Tim McVeigh ring a bell?
The Unabomber and McVeigh are not good arguments, because practically speaking, it's far easier to obtain a gun and walk into a crowded movie theater (or crowded anywhere for that matter) than to do what those two guys did. But it's a useless discussion, because unless you're willing to pass laws that would remove all guns from private citizens (and enforce those laws with a police force about ten times stronger than we have now) there is no means to prevent mass shootings in this country.
His entire point was that people use guns because they're easy to get, implying that if they weren't these maniacs would just move along and not bother putting in the extra effort to get a weapon they could kill a bunch of people with. The unabomber and McVeigh are not only good arguments, they're the perfect counter-point. Crazy mutha####ers who want a weapon to kill a bunch of people are going to get one either way.These people need to be maimed. The problem is that sitting in jail for 10 years and then getting a nice pain-free death isn't nearly enough motivation to dissuade them from wanting to kill a bunch of people if they're screwed up enough to think it's ok. I'd imagine he would have been much more reluctant to do this if he knew he was going to get his #### chopped off in response.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thoughts and prayers to the families of this....News here is saying they found some explosives in his apartmentIt won't be long until we start getting into the gun debate and movie violence debate - but how come no one brings up the real issue and that is the mental illness debate. There are lots of people in this country messed up - the Gabby Giffords guy, Columbine Kids - with real mental issues. And it seems as though people (family and acquaintances) recognized these issues prior to these tragedies. We should consider the value of taking care of these mental issues before hand - to be proactive. The infrastructure and affordable resources around mental illness are sorely lacking - not to mention the 'stigma" to go and ask for help. Heck I bet this guys family knew he needed help and struggled to find him the help he needed. It cost money to deal with this stuff and in today's climate I'm afraid that people really have a difficulty going into community mode to help resolve this.
Excellent point. Here in Chicago many mental health workers were recently laid off, facilities closed and patients transferred or released due to government budget cuts.
It also ties in with the national healthcare debate as well. Many people with mental health problems are fine when taking their medication. However if they do not have comprehensive health insurance the cost of some of these drugs are outrageously expensive to the point of being unaffordable.
The people I've known that have had mental issues drop their medication because they think they are "all better now" or they don't like the side effects. Basically, there are many reasons why someone goes off medication.
True but I know others that stop because they can't afford to pay the $500/month it costs to buy the drugs. If you don't think that cost is factor you are wrong.
Pretty sure my last sentence indicated that cost is one of the reasons.

Weird question, but has anyone posted a picture of the gunman yet? Facebook page? Myspace page?
FOX just said pictures expected shortly.
THIS IS WHAT HE WANTS.... Then we are going to get the "experts" talking about the mind of such a person, blah blah blah.Lock him up throw away the key, don't mention who it is and people will not want this "attention".

The technology used to be a maniac is less urgent than the person using that technology.
Yet in this country they almost always use guns. I wonder why that is. I wonder if it's because of the ease and convenience? There is no barrier to stop them and make them go to lengths to build improvised devices. It's curious that they don't use guns AND build improvised devices since they could kill more people that way. But then that would be inconvenient.
I really don't want to get sucked into this, but does the name Tim McVeigh ring a bell?
The Unabomber and McVeigh are not good arguments, because practically speaking, it's far easier to obtain a gun and walk into a crowded movie theater (or crowded anywhere for that matter) than to do what those two guys did. But it's a useless discussion, because unless you're willing to pass laws that would remove all guns from private citizens (and enforce those laws with a police force about ten times stronger than we have now) there is no means to prevent mass shootings in this country.
His entire point was that people use guns because they're easy to get, implying that if they weren't these maniacs would just move along and not bother putting in the extra effort to get a weapon they could kill a bunch of people with. The unabomber and McVeigh are not only good arguments, they're the perfect counter-point. Crazy mutha####ers who want a weapon to kill a bunch of people are going to get one either way.These people need to be maimed. The problem is that sitting in jail for 10 years and then getting a nice pain-free death isn't nearly enough motivation to dissuade them from wanting to kill a bunch of people if they're screwed up enough to think it's ok. I'd imagine he would have been much more reluctant to do this if he knew he was going to get his #### chopped off in response.
Actually, due to how rare they are relative to gun violence, they are the exceptions that prove the rule.

Weird question, but has anyone posted a picture of the gunman yet? Facebook page? Myspace page?
Don't think there is one yet. Honestly. I searched.
IMHO, the best way to try to prevent these things is to not allow any information on the shooter to the public. Don't let this guy get his 15 minutes. Tough to do.
Impossible to do, unless they just take him out back and shoot him. He's going to have his day in court, what he says will go on public record and get reported.

Nice cop out. :thumbup:
There's no need for this.
Then answer the question. From what I can tell this guy hasn't been on anyone's radar re: mental issues his entire life. How would we possibly have detected this? Give me one plausible scenario. How would it work? Are we going to do mental health evaluations of EVERY person in the country? If so, how frequently? And if we even slightly suspect they might be a danger how do we approach it if they haven't done anything wrong and don't want treatment? Are you going to force it on them? I just think it's a cop out to use this tragic situation to suggest that it could have been prevented had we "done more." Because in this case I don't think there was anything that would have prevented this.
:goodposting: Even the co-worker that helped police investigate my brother felt she'd gather evidence that would clear him. She couldn't fathom that he could be violent. He was just quiet and awkward.

IMHO, the best way to try to prevent these things is to not allow any information on the shooter to the public. Don't let this guy get his 15 minutes. Tough to do.
Impossible to do, unless they just take him out back and shoot him. He's going to have his day in court, what he says will go on public record and get reported.
Yet, the victims of Sandusky can go unnamed.

Nice cop out. :thumbup:
There's no need for this.
Then answer the question. From what I can tell this guy hasn't been on anyone's radar re: mental issues his entire life. How would we possibly have detected this? Give me one plausible scenario. How would it work? Are we going to do mental health evaluations of EVERY person in the country? If so, how frequently? And if we even slightly suspect they might be a danger how do we approach it if they haven't done anything wrong and don't want treatment? Are you going to force it on them? I just think it's a cop out to use this tragic situation to suggest that it could have been prevented had we "done more." Because in this case I don't think there was anything that would have prevented this.
You're apparently comfortable reaching conclusions this early on. I'm not. I'm not going to address the rest of your post because you're completely off the rails. Calm down.
I haven't formed any conclusions. Well, I guess that this wasn't preventable would be one but I think that's an obvious one myself. I'm not off the rails at all. I'd just like you to support your position a little. I would like to know how we diagnose someone as mentally ill if they haven't done anything to suggest that they are. Is that really that tough of a question?
Seems to me it took a little time for the VT shooters history to come to light. We don't really know what he has done. Absence of a criminal record doesn't mean an absence of a mental record. Those are private and protected by law. So we may want to wait before we say he did or didn't show signs. Heck it could be something organic that just came on for all we know or he could have been torturing animals since he was a kid. We just don't know. But I have no problem labeling a guy who goes into a theater and shoots dozens of strangers mentally ill.

Victim protection laws.

What are the gun laws like in Colorado? Do they give out concealed pistol permits to average joes? If yes, I would think that maybe someone in the crowd could have popped this dude.
You can have a CCP, go frequently to the range, take self defense classes. Nothing will prepare you for the actual thing. Especially in a dark, confusing place with smoke and a gun fight in the back ground.I have a CCP, and there is one movie theater in town I do not go too because they have a no gun policy. With only one way up and down the isle if you are close to an isle, the only thing you can do is cover or get to the opposite side of the theater. It seems if you tried to eye this guy down to get a shot off, you were close enough to be an easy victim.
I agree that it would be tougher in real life, but if more people in that theatre were armed, this could have ended differently, imo.

6 patients taken in to the children's hospital. 1 died. "2 or 3 will be released today in "good" condition" this according to a doctor at the children's hospital.

Seems to me it took a little time for the VT shooters history to come to light. We don't really know what he has done. Absence of a criminal record doesn't mean an absence of a mental record. Those are private and protected by law. So we may want to wait before we say he did or didn't show signs. Heck it could be something organic that just came on for all we know or he could have been torturing animals since he was a kid. We just don't know. But I have no problem labeling a guy who goes into a theater and shoots dozens of strangers mentally ill.
Couldn't he have just been an angry, angry man? Bill Ayers killed people. Is he mentally ill?

You really think a crazed, irrational person would even respond to a threat of punishment as a deterrent? I sure don't.

Couldn't he have just been an angry, angry man? Bill Ayers killed people. Is he mentally ill?
That kind of anger is a mental illness. And really I don't want to start another political fight so I'll leave the Ayers thing alone.

Huh. I always thought those doors had alarms. Not sure why. Guess not. :shrug:
I imagine they were put there to comply with firecodes and try to prevent people from sneaking in. That said, I recall lots of people walking out those doors so they probably shut the alarm off when so many people accidentally set them off (costing the theater something like 200 bucks/pop for costs associated). But again, the door is a moot point. This couldn't have been anticipated in a cost-efficient manner.

CNN is reporting that Holmes propped the emergency door open before the start of the movie. When the movie started he came in and threw a gas or smoke container and started to shoot people.
Some emergency door... Aren't they supposed to trigger an alarm?
I thought so. Last week my wife and I went to a movie and during the movie a couple went out the emergency door and tripped an alarm. Maybe it is different for each area? Fire codes? Also, many people have said the shooter kicked in the emergency exit.
Given that the doors open out, it seems rather unlikely. You'd have to kick down the entire door frame.
Good point! I think people piece together the events in their minds, and some of those events may be a little sketchy.
Eyewitness testimony isn't nearly as reliable as people think.
:goodposting: I remember in High School we had some detective or someone in for a small assembly, not sure what it was for. We had maybe 100 people in the assembly. Me and another kid were in on a bit.When he said a certain phrase, that was my cue to stand up and yell at the guy. Then my friend was supposed to stand up threaten to kcik my ### and we raced out of the room.

The point he was making was to be sure when you see something etc etc. He got so many different versions of what was said, what we were wearing etc etc. I mean some of the kids were with me all day and still weren't sure what I was wearing.

Anyway it was just a little eye opening what they have to go through with their jobs.

:coolstory:
Many research studies on this too_One I recall was people watched footage of a car accident and were asked to describe what they saw and heard. Most subjects included in their accounting, that they saw and heard glass breaking. They were didn't notice that all the windows, windshield, mirrors, and headlights had been removed from the cars prior to the collision.

That kind of anger is a mental illness. And really I don't want to start another political fight so I'll leave the Ayers thing alone.
I would post the wide eyed laughing icon but it just doesn't seem appropriate in this thread. But I've never heard of people being angry being called a mental illness.

I would post the wide eyed laughing icon but it just doesn't seem appropriate in this thread. But I've never heard of people being angry being called a mental illness.
:goodposting: The guy could just be an evil, angry SOB. It doesn't necessarily mean he has some sort of mental illness.

:goodposting: The guy could just be an evil, angry SOB. It doesn't necessarily mean he has some sort of mental illness.
Then you guys don't do much reading because anger, especially this type of anger, is an extension of depression and low self esteem. The kind of anger that it takes to do something like this to innocent people is absolutely a mental illness

Willing to bet that once again we will hear of a guy from a broken home, wasn't sure how to deal with a girlfriend breakup etc.....just another reason that you need to support friends and family.....most of the people that do this stuff feel alone, unimportant and see this as a way of getting that attention....not an excuse but I really don't see how this gets fixed with gun laws, increased security etc....its about paying attention to people and prioritizing them over all the stuff our society now finds important. Yet another wakeup call to people....quit playing with all of your phones, computers and pay attention to those you care about.....

oh my

Willing to bet that once again we will hear of a guy from a broken home, wasn't sure how to deal with a girlfriend breakup etc.....just another reason that you need to support friends and family.....most of the people that do this stuff feel alone, unimportant and see this as a way of getting that attention....not an excuse but I really don't see how this gets fixed with gun laws, increased security etc....its about paying attention to people and prioritizing them over all the stuff our society now finds important. Yet another wakeup call to people....quit playing with all of your phones, computers and pay attention to those you care about.....
I'm too busy with POLEMAGGEDON to bother with people.

Denver news reported that Holmes recently gave a presentation on psychological disorders as a part of his PHD program.

Then you guys don't do much reading because anger, especially this type of anger, is an extension of depression and low self esteem. The kind of anger that it takes to do something like this to innocent people is absolutely a mental illness
This article from 2009 can provide some explanation. It's not so much that anger itself is a mental illness. But mental illness can render individuals incapable of dealing with anger the way the rest of us can.

why wouldn't this dude off himself?

Why Sandusky and this guy haven't offed themselves is beyond me... there is nothing even remotely positive that can come from their lives moving forward.

This article from 2009 can provide some explanation. It's not so much that anger itself is a mental illness. But mental illness can render individuals incapable of dealing with anger the way the rest of us can.
Sorry man. Drivel like that just dilutes the topic and diagnoses pretty much everyone as mentally ill. Basically, unless everyone acts and reacts exactly the same they've got some type of mental disorder. Sometimes people are just different from each other.

Victim protection laws.
No 15 minutes for you Law in the making?

Well then everyone has a mental illness.

This has nothing to do with people paying too much attention to their phones and computers or any other changes to society or advances in technology of whatever. Before those things existed, people just paid attention to other things when they didn't want to deal with or support their friends and family. Things like this just happen. There's no way to fix it.

Users who are viewing this thread