What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Atmospheric River to unload on Oakland (1 Viewer)

MacAvery

Footballguy
I'm usually one to ignore most weather conditions but this one appears to be a bit concerning. The forecast now is for 26mph winds and 80% chance of heavy rain. Flood warnings are in effect for most of California including the bay area. This isn't any old storm. It's called an atmospheric river and it can carry unbelievable amounts of water which, when dumped over land, can cause major flash flooding, rockslides, mudslides, etc.

I would monitor this closely and start players in the game with extreme caution.

A couple of links for your own info:

http://gizmodo.com/5963868/what-is-an-atmospheric-river

http://www.weather.com/news/weather-forecast/california-flood-threat-20121126

Awesome. I was expecting this game to be a shootout and a point scorer for me: Trent Richardson and Carson Palmer on my team.Not really sure what to do now.

So if it a downpour, why would you NOT want to start the ground gamers? I'd think you'd rather bench the QBs and WRs? :confused:

Awesome. I was expecting this game to be a shootout and a point scorer for me: Trent Richardson and Carson Palmer on my team.Not really sure what to do now.
... flip side ...those who scooped Browns D for last week vs. Batch, and week 14 vs. Quinn, now get an even better resson to " hold" this week. Bigger picture? After enduring Sandy just a month ago, my thoughts go out to all who may be severely impacted by this storm. God bless.

So if it a downpour, why would you NOT want to start the ground gamers? I'd think you'd rather bench the QBs and WRs? :confused:
A few years ago, the Steelers hosted a MNF game that was played in a downpour. It had rained all weekend, and their had been college/HS games on that field on Friday/Saturday. The field was crap, it was pouring, it was windy. Final score: 3-0. If the weather is that bad, downgrade all offensive players, IMO.ETA-I don't know how bad it will be, I haven't looked into it at all, but if it IS really bad, it could have an impact.

I'm a ways north of Oakland, but we're expecting 10-15" of rain over Fri-Sun (and 20"+ at higher elevations). The high winds are supposed to be today with the heavy rain starting tonight. My neighborhood is on a hill and we have several neighbors who have already sandbagged their patios and garages. There was a pretty wet storm that came through a week ago that hit some areas with 8-9" in 24 hrs and no less than 4-5" so the ground should already be pretty saturated.

Sloppy fields generally help the offense and WRs who already know where they are going vs the defense that has to react and has a tendency to slow a pass rush, but with a field that is so low and the amount of rain expected, I'm really curious to see what this looks like. I wouldn't be surprised to see a couple/few inches of standing water on the field. Temper expectations for the Cleveland D outside of fumble recoveries.

A few years ago, the Steelers hosted a MNF game that was played in a downpour. It had rained all weekend, and their had been college/HS games on that field on Friday/Saturday. The field was crap, it was pouring, it was windy. Final score: 3-0. If the weather is that bad, downgrade all offensive players, IMO.ETA-I don't know how bad it will be, I haven't looked into it at all, but if it IS really bad, it could have an impact.
Was that the game where the punt stuck in the mud? Hilarious.

I am recalling that game between Oakland and Kansas city that year when the water was flooding down the stadium steps, etc. I recall the Chiefs sacking the Raiders on nearly every play. Just nasty.

Which brings me to my question: If flooding and other issues occur, what are the chances the NFL postpones or moves the game? Don't they have a big issue about lightning and such? Even if there is no lightning, wouldn't they maybe consider a postponement if it causes issues in the community (like the game a few years ago when the eagles ahd to delay their game due to the snow)?

A couple of years ago, I remember a holy mudder of a game against KC, and Jacoby Ford had a helluva game. Don't go writing off D Moore yet!

I've learned not to overeact to weather, but you also need to look at the severity.

A WET field provides an advantage to the offense, including WR's. However, if its bogged down muddy, and/or windy, and/or torrential rain, then everyone gets downgraded. If you have a combination of two or all three of those, downgraded significantly.

I'm a ways north of Oakland, but we're expecting 10-15" of rain over Fri-Sun (and 20"+ at higher elevations). The high winds are supposed to be today with the heavy rain starting tonight. My neighborhood is on a hill and we have several neighbors who have already sandbagged their patios and garages. There was a pretty wet storm that came through a week ago that hit some areas with 8-9" in 24 hrs and no less than 4-5" so the ground should already be pretty saturated.Sloppy fields generally help the offense and WRs who already know where they are going vs the defense that has to react and has a tendency to slow a pass rush, but with a field that is so low and the amount of rain expected, I'm really curious to see what this looks like. I wouldn't be surprised to see a couple/few inches of standing water on the field. Temper expectations for the Cleveland D outside of fumble recoveries.
I think this actually makes the defenses a better play- more sacks, less points, less FG attempts...Cle D may be top 3 now for the week.

I am recalling that game between Oakland and Kansas city that year when the water was flooding down the stadium steps, etc. I recall the Chiefs sacking the Raiders on nearly every play. Just nasty.Which brings me to my question: If flooding and other issues occur, what are the chances the NFL postpones or moves the game? Don't they have a big issue about lightning and such? Even if there is no lightning, wouldn't they maybe consider a postponement if it causes issues in the community (like the game a few years ago when the eagles ahd to delay their game due to the snow)?
I live in Oakland. We just weathered the first of three, possibly four, maybe even five successive storms. Sunday's I believe will be the third (the second starts later today).The first was nothing near what was being hyped earlier in the week but I'm still preparing for crazy rain in the next two.We rarely get lightning here (once every two years or so). I don't expect it now. I don't think this will be a clash of fronts; it will be a wave of storms passing through over the Pacific in the west/northwest.Could be nasty.ETA: That game was in KC.

Last edited by a moderator:
A couple of years ago, I remember a holy mudder of a game against KC, and Jacoby Ford had a helluva game. Don't go writing off D Moore yet!
Was he matched up against Joe Haden?
See post 19 up a few from here:
A WET field provides an advantage to the offense, including WR's. However, if its bogged down muddy, and/or windy, and/or torrential rain, then everyone gets downgraded. If you have a combination of two or all three of those, downgraded significantly.
Here's your Haden nullifier.

I believe that was a game in Pittsburgh against the Dolphins.

I believe that was a game in Pittsburgh against the Dolphins.
Yes, Dolphins. I was at that game. Pretty boring to watch.

I am recalling that game between Oakland and Kansas city that year when the water was flooding down the stadium steps, etc. I recall the Chiefs sacking the Raiders on nearly every play. Just nasty.

Which brings me to my question: If flooding and other issues occur, what are the chances the NFL postpones or moves the game? Don't they have a big issue about lightning and such? Even if there is no lightning, wouldn't they maybe consider a postponement if it causes issues in the community (like the game a few years ago when the eagles ahd to delay their game due to the snow)?
I live in Oakland. We just weathered the first of three, possibly four, maybe even five successive storms. Sunday's I believe will be the third (the second starts later today).The first was nothing near what was being hyped earlier in the week but I'm still preparing for crazy rain in the next two.

We rarely get lightning here (once every two years or so). I don't expect it now. I don't think this will be a clash of fronts; it will be a wave of storms passing through over the Pacific in the west/northwest.

Could be nasty.

ETA: That game was in KC.
Hm, Oakland Trib:"Sunday

Overcast with rain, then a chance of rain in the afternoon. Fog early. High of 63F. Breezy.

Winds from the SW at 5 to 35 mph shifting to the NW in the afternoon.

Chance of rain 80% with rainfall amounts near 1.0 in. possible."

http://weather.insidebayarea.com/auto/insidebayarea/CA/Oakland.html

Is any of this true? I know people keep saying it and providing anecdotal evidence and it certainly seems like it SHOULD be true but... If there's one thing Ive learned about FF is that there's a lot of factoids that get tossed around frequently but are rarely verified (and are often false). Not trying to be a douchenozzle. Just really curious if this oft repeated belief holds up under any decent sample size analysis.

Any chance it's bad enough to not be played or postponed? Those would be fantasy zeros.
Despite the incredible weeniness of Bay Area people about weather, there is zero chance that the game won't be played. And compared to a typical storm anywhere else in the country, it's probably going to be a mild sprinkle in flatland Oakland. Around here we get SEVERE WEATHER ALERTS any time the temperature drops below 58 degrees (or goes above 85).That said, the field at the Mausoleum sucks and it's likely going to suck more than usual on Sunday.

Any chance it's bad enough to not be played or postponed? Those would be fantasy zeros.
Despite the incredible weeniness of Bay Area people about weather, there is zero chance that the game won't be played. And compared to a typical storm anywhere else in the country, it's probably going to be a mild sprinkle in flatland Oakland. Around here we get SEVERE WEATHER ALERTS any time the temperature drops below 58 degrees (or goes above 85).That said, the field at the Mausoleum sucks and it's likely going to suck more than usual on Sunday.
That's a bit of an exaggeration.The forecasters have projected up to 12 inches of rain over these several days in the north bay and the east bay hills. If that is true, I would expect a boatload of problems. Mudslides, toppled trees, flooding are somewhat regular occurrences around here so it will be nasty if the forecasters are right. That's not always the case though.Anyway, earlier in the week, the projection was no rain for Sunday. Last night, they said big third storm. Maybe that's changing now.

Is any of this true? I know people keep saying it and providing anecdotal evidence and it certainly seems like it SHOULD be true but... If there's one thing Ive learned about FF is that there's a lot of factoids that get tossed around frequently but are rarely verified (and are often false).

Not trying to be a douchenozzle. Just really curious if this oft repeated belief holds up under any decent sample size analysis.
Wind is the No. 1 problem, if extreme.

Mud is bad; slick/rainy even puddled field is ok and even good for some, but mud is bad for all.

CBS usually lists a bad rain game as "heavy rain"(in the little weather icon thingy on your roster) ... but, just checked my Raiders, and it says (first time I can recall) "TONS of rain" :unsure:

Is any of this true? I know people keep saying it and providing anecdotal evidence and it certainly seems like it SHOULD be true but... If there's one thing Ive learned about FF is that there's a lot of factoids that get tossed around frequently but are rarely verified (and are often false).

Not trying to be a douchenozzle. Just really curious if this oft repeated belief holds up under any decent sample size analysis.
Wind is the No. 1 problem, if extreme.

Mud is bad; slick/rainy even puddled field is ok and even good for some, but mud is bad for all.
to add: Specifically gusts is what can lead the QB (and therefore WR) position being affected the most.See link: http://www.minitab.com/en-US/training/articles/Minitab-fantasy-football-weather.aspx

I don't care if this game is on the moon, or bottom of the sea. Cleveland D is a good call against Oakland, and I would start zero Raiders with confidence.

I don't care if this game is on the moon, or bottom of the sea. Cleveland D is a good call against Oakland, and I would start zero Raiders with confidence.
The problem with starting the CLE def is that their offense is below average too (even if facing OAK on the road) so you accept some risk that the CLE off can also turn it over placing their defense in a bind. Additionally, the simple fact that they may not be able to sustain drives, tiring the CLE defense, is another risk.Again, just risks, but they should not be ignored.

So what team's practice squad did the Browns sign Atmospheric River off of? That's the coolest name in football this side of Barkevious

-QG

There's going to mudslides and toppled trees on a football field?? :unsure:
Oakland colesium is no where near anything that can flash flood, mudslide, or has many trees. That place is in a sea of flat asphalt, surrounded by more concrete and asphalt. Answer not necessarily directed at you, DG

Mud -- not much of a factor most times. Rain -- can cause slippery ball, minor factor. Frozen field -- OL, DL stand off, positive for passing game. Wind -- biggest factor, makes passing VERY difficult.

Users who are viewing this thread